PDA

View Full Version : Brothers In Arms Earned In Blood

t2thejz
12-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I know there is a thread about the show on the history channel, but what do you guys think of the game, Ive been thinking about getting it but not sure if its worth the money yet. What are the positives and the negatives of the game

JPhinfan86
12-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Yea, I actually posted a lengthy review some time back (when I first bought the game). This game is, by far in my opinion, the best WWII franchise in existence. It is the first to actually tell a TRUE story and to actually develop personality for the characters. The mechanics in Brothers In Arms are fantastic. It combines the first person shooting some people cannot live without (and does everything in terms of weapons very historically accurate) with the squad control similar to Full Spectrum Warrior. If you've played FSW you'll recall that you use indicators on the ground to show where your squadmates would go were you to issue that order. You release and they'll run there. When you see an enemy's supression indicator, you can tell your men to fire on the position or charge it (your choice and very situation sensitive). By providing covering and diversion fire you can employ advanced movement and FLANKING tactics. You often control two teams and occasionally a tank. Trust me this is a LOT easier than it sounds, it'll become like second nature after you've played for a while.

"SITUATIONAL AWARENESS" MODE:Another fantastic feature is the ability at any time to hit the back button (or select on PS2) and have the entire battle freeze. The camera pulls way up allowing you to view every element of the battle field including enemy positions (only if you've already encountered them). This allows you to set up movement tactics and other battle plans. It's an amazing way to familiarize yourself with the area you're fighting in real-time.

To fully understand and enjoy the experience I recommend buying Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 first as the series tells the same story all the way through "Earned In Blood". In "Road to Hill 30" you play as Sargeant Matt Baker, you COMMAND (among others) Red Hartsock. At the end of "Road to Hill 30", just before credits roll, Sgt. Mac Hassy promotes Red to Sgt. In "Earned In Blood" you then play as SARGEANT RED HARTSOCK. The game features a man named S.L.A. Marshall. This was REAL PERSON IN NAME AND REPRESENTATION. He went into the field after many many conflicts to interview soldiers for their accounts immediately after they exprierenced the battles. Marshall has written a number of journals and books including these first hand accounts which can be found today if one tries hard enough. Well he is mentioned at the end of "Hill 30" and is a staple in "Earned In Blood". Between each chapter in Earned In Blood you'll see Hartsock being interviewed by S.L.A.M. (as he was known)...as you're asked questions its then 'flash's back' and you play the experience. The game ends with Red ending the interview. Depending on how you do per chapter and on what difficulty you'll unlock BOATLOADS of fantastic information about the 101st Airborne and other facts about the game and the conflict.

IN MY VERY PASSIONATE OPINION the "Brothers In Arms" series (namely "Earned In Blood" because its the most current) should have won out over Call Of Duty 2 on XBOX 360 at the VGA's this year on Spike T.V. I honestly believe the only reason "CoD2" won was simply because it supported better graphics.......I must admit I was very steamed. I'm a history major in my Sophomore year in college and i've learned enough by now to notice certain imperfections among series such as "MoH" and "CoD". Ubisoft and Gearbox Software didn't get the recognition they deserved for such hard work. They focused so intently on historical accuracy that the History Channel took note. Also you'll notice that the year AFTER "Brothers In Arms" launches and recieves great acclaim "Call of Duty" (Activision) then shifts to "Call Of Duty 2: BIG RED ONE". They then implement a story telling a true story....kinda convenient eh? Don't get me wrong, I do like "Call of Duty" (it annihilates the joke that is the Medal of Honor series) but I just believe that "Brothers In Arms" takes the "WWII" cake by a mile.

YES BUY IT DUDE.....9.8 out of 10!!

JPhinfan86
12-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Features:

SKIRMISH MODE: ON and OFFline.
Skirmish types --
1.) Objective: Unmodified game experience similar to single-player campaign. Each map contains a unique mission objective. This is not scored.

2.) Timed Assault: Destroy all enemies in the map within the time alotted. Time is awarded for each enemy killed, utilizing your squad to do so will also award more bonus time. No checkpoints. Ranks is determined by the amount of time left over after completion.

3.) Defense: Test your endurance against repeated waves of opponents, each wave becoming tougher than the last. Scoring is based on the number of completed waves.

4.) Tour of Duty: The ultimate authentic challenge. Complete 5 American or German missions with ONE life and ONE squad and unlock the next tour of difficulty. No checkpoints, no saves, and NO WHINING.

t2thejz
12-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Cool, thanks man. Ive been searching and reading reviews about the game all over the net and that was the most helpful one I have read.

Predaphin
12-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I've been holding back on this game for the simple fact that I'm not sure what system I should buy it for....

I usually buy war games for PC....what do you guys think?? PC or PS2??

miamikid92
12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
ok i just got this game..theres only one problem..
why am i the only person online lol?

JPhinfan86
12-24-2005, 05:12 AM
I've been holding back on this game for the simple fact that I'm not sure what system I should buy it for....

On the whole, PC version seems to be the better experience here. If you have a good system this game is solid...quite a bit more polished than the PS2 version. The PS2 version is still great though. :up:

Hellion
12-31-2005, 03:25 PM

I got it for Christmas for PC and the levels are huge lots of detail.

Agua
01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I got that first one, whatever it was called. It had a lot of good points, but I had a hard time getting past the lack of an order to go prone. That's just ridiculous to make so many realism-based strides in a game only to leave out a basic combat tactic. Yes, I realize they nerfed the environment so as to make going to the ground unnecessary, but that's a crappy work around to overcome a stupid, developer created flaw.