PDA

View Full Version : anyone here read the Davinci code?

Slappy8800
12-17-2005, 01:06 PM
i loved the book and the movie looks badass

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/medium.html

Buddwalk
12-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Honestly whats it about i still cant get a clear picture on the movie. From what i know its a great mystery that was hidden using a painting...but i still dont get it

Slappy8800
12-17-2005, 01:14 PM
theory is there is a secret society that davinci was part of that was keeping a secret. the secret being that the holy grail wasnt a cup but a person, mary magdaline and she was married to jesus. book is about some dudes trying to get the secret....its a reall y good fast read

mor911
12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
The Mor read it, and it was awesome.

Buddwalk
12-17-2005, 01:20 PM
fast read...how long is the book

cause budds limit is 17 pages oh how i love green eggs and ham :evil:

poornate
12-17-2005, 01:32 PM
He took a bunch of facts (opus dei, knights of templar, scion(sic),etc.) and tied them all together fictionally....not bad....fast read. Not tied together realistically though.

wpgfishfan
12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
I read the book in 2 days. It is very good. If I ever go to France I will pay extra attention to his paintings and trying to find clues about the true identity of

THE MOR:sidelol:

Buddwalk
12-17-2005, 01:40 PM
The Mor read it, and it was awesome.

Wait the Mor Can Read :eek:

FinHeathen
12-17-2005, 01:41 PM

He can, just not very well.

Roman529
12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
The book is really good and fast paced.....the main guy and his girl go from place to place looking for clues....you don't fully know what the Grail is for a while but they go to the Louvre in Paris to check out Davinci's Mona Lisa, and they go to England and other places and the story moves along nicely. I heard Tom Hanks is the main charachter. Can't wait for the movie.

unifiedtheory
12-17-2005, 02:37 PM
I read it in 3 nights...easy read. The thing I noticed about it right away is that the book reads like a screenplay/movie.

Anyone who did read The DaVinci Code should pick up Angels and Demons (also by Dan Brown). It's available on paperback so the investment is small and it is, in my opinion, better then The DaVinci Code.

Slappy8800
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
angels and demons is better than davinci code IMO....i think it would make a better movie

HelenaBucket
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Great reads, all! Angels and Demons is the prequel. Other books by Brown are Deception Point and Digital Fortress. I'm having trouble picturing Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon though.

For those who enjoyed the Dan Brown books, but want a much "meatier" read, check out Umberto Eco...The Way of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum, The Island of the Day Before, How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays, to name a few. Eco is pure, unadulterated genius. http://www.umbertoeco.com/

Slappy8800
12-17-2005, 02:55 PM
check out the trailer...i think hanks looks pretty good...of course he has no dialogue in the trailer but still looks good...Silas looks kickass!

HelenaBucket
12-17-2005, 03:05 PM
check out the trailer...i think hanks looks pretty good...of course he has no dialogue in the trailer but still looks good...Silas looks kickass!

I tried, but it's not working on my puter...and the resident digerati is out with the kids. Bah Humbug!!!

RWhitney014
12-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Digital Fortress was fantastic. Deception Point was okay. Loved Da Vinci Code but hope they rewrite the pathetically bad ending for them movie. Angels and Demons was the best of the four and will make a great movie itself. I agree, Hanks as Langdon is an odd choice.

Clark Kent
12-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Digital Fortress was fantastic. Deception Point was okay. Loved Da Vinci Code but hope they rewrite the pathetically bad ending for them movie. Angels and Demons was the best of the four and will make a great movie itself. I agree, Hanks as Langdon is an odd choice.I didn't read the book (Yet, I bought it but I need to study for finals), but Tom Hanks can play anything. Besides, Hanks is a good actor. Be thankful Affleck or someone like him isn't in it.

HelenaBucket
12-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I can easily picture Robert Redford (some 20-25 years ago) playing the part of Langdon. I haven't a clue about any contemporary actors. This can only mean two things 1) I'm getting old, and 2) it's been way too long since I've been to a movie theatre!

SuavePhin
12-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Go Da Vinci!! im a descent from his bloodlines so gotta give props :D The movie looks interesting, definately have to see it but Tom Hanks?? i dunno about that i think they could have had better choices

Buddwalk
12-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Didnt know tom hanks was in it...hmm maybe

Slappy8800
12-17-2005, 04:50 PM
who would ya'all choose if not hanks? i think he is a great choice....

tom cruise? no way
leo dicaprio? too young
sean connery? not american
matt damon? too young

poornate
12-17-2005, 05:06 PM
I can easily picture Robert Redford (some 20-25 years ago) playing the part of Langdon. I haven't a clue about any contemporary actors. This can only mean two things 1) I'm getting old, and 2) it's been way too long since I've been to a movie theatre!

Hands down....Kevin Spacey!

DonShula84
12-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Hands down....Kevin Spacey!

I loved the book, Angels & Demons was really good also. Spacey would be a good choice. I dont think Hanks is a bad choice though, the guy is a great actor and he can pull of the younger professor type.

Kobe
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM

:sidelol: :lol: :sidelol:

WharfRat
12-18-2005, 10:10 AM
who would ya'all choose if not hanks? i think he is a great choice....

tom cruise? no way
leo dicaprio? too young
sean connery? not american
matt damon? too young

How about Russell Crowe?

Slappy8800
12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
How about Russell Crowe?

dear god no...he cant pull off the witty humor langdon has

WharfRat
12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
dear god no...he cant pull off the witty humor langdon has

Good point....

Perhaps someone like Val Kilmer?

themole
12-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I think Tom Hanks will do just fine. He is a very serious actor and hasn't disappointed me yet.

I'm a big Clive Cussler, fan (Dirk Pitt, N.U.M.A.Files).

When the movie Sahara was being made and Matthew McConaughey was chosen as lead man I was disappointed until I saw the movie. Someway, somehow good actors seem pull it off.

Slappy8800
12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Good point....

Perhaps someone like Val Kilmer?

hmmm too serious i think

Nic Cage wouldve been good if he didnt do national treasure

Fresh
12-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I saw the trailer when I went to see King Kong last night...it looks like an interesting movie. Probably a movie that will leave you thinking at the end.

WharfRat
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
hmmm too serious i think

Kilmer pulled off The Saint pretty well, he can be flippantly self-deprecating when he needs to be...
I agree with the Nick Cage suggestion too though.;)

Mindwarp
12-19-2005, 03:37 PM
reading the book, i pictured harrison ford in the role. Im still gonna go see it when it comes out :) loved the book

WharfRat
12-19-2005, 03:53 PM
reading the book, i pictured harrison ford in the role. Im still gonna go see it when it comes out :) loved the book

Good choice, but perhaps a bit too old?

Mindwarp
12-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Good choice, but perhaps a bit too old?

look here movie noob, their is a reason for make up ;)

Roman529
12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
I also read Digital Fortress and Angels and Demons....good reads!!! :)

I think Langdon should have been played by Al Pacino. He's the best.

WharfRat
12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
look here movie noob, their is a reason for make up ;)

yeah but.... it's easier to make someone look older than it is to make someone look younger....

Langdon should be IMO early/mid forties.... that's shaving 20 years off of Ford ;)

Predaphin
12-19-2005, 06:04 PM
This may sound dumb, but I don't even know what the divinci code is about...

I seen the trailer on saturday when i went to go see King Kong...

I didn;t know what to think as I am not familiar with davinci and his codes...I've heard alot about davinci, but never knew what the deal was

Mindwarp
12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
read the book you will thank us later ;)

Dubfire
12-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Digital Fortress was fantastic. Deception Point was okay. Loved Da Vinci Code but hope they rewrite the pathetically bad ending for them movie. Angels and Demons was the best of the four and will make a great movie itself. I agree, Hanks as Langdon is an odd choice.

I dont disagree with the choice at all. Although when reading the book, I pictured Langdon to be more of a Robert Reford type than Tom Hanks.

I love Audrey Totou (sp?) as Sophie though. Ever since I saw her in Amelie, I've really liked her as an actress. If she spoke English a little better, I really think she could be star in Hollywood.

Dubfire
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
hmmm too serious i think

I dont see Nic Cage pulling off the scholarly side of Langdon.

I think Hanks was a good choice because of the fact he's good at portraying emotions without having to say words. And Langdon sure does a lot of thinking and clue solving in the book.