PDA

View Full Version : Hope They Capture Croc Killers...

Califin
12-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Heard the sad news that made it all the way to Cali, regarding the fools who captured, taped shut the mouth, and dragged Charlie the crocodile from his habitat preserve to his death in Miami Dade County. Apparently they got one guy, and are still looking for the other three. :shakeno:
A write up I found on it. (http://www.local10.com/news/5555391/detail.html?rss=mia&psp=news)

CalDolFan1014
12-18-2005, 02:59 AM
:shakeno: That's just plain sad. I hope they capture those morons and lock them away for a while. No animal deserves to be treated in such a manner.

Miamian
12-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Disgusting. It's bound to be a case where the punishment won't fit the crime, but in reverse from conventional thinking. I remember a similar case in which some imitations of humanity did the same thing to a loggerhead turtle which fortunately survived. I hope that they're still in jail and will be for some time.

cnc66
12-18-2005, 09:54 AM
sometimes folks do things that make no sense, Miamian is probably right, the legal limits of the law will not fit this crime. On an aside, Crocodiles have been documented as far north as Hypoluxo. Right now the generally accepted date of "proof" that Croc's lived in Florida is the late 1880's when Commodore Monroe captured and killed a 14'8" one at Arch Creek in "Maama" and sent it north to be prepared for exhibit(Prof. Ward prepared it) I have recovered letters pushing this back to 1874. The letters describe the shipment to Professor Henry Ward at University of Rochester of a Crocodile skin and skeleton caught at the south end of Lake Worth in 1875, by William Butler.;

Titusville March 29th 1875

Prof” Henry A Ward

Sir I send you this day part of a shipment only for the reason that the water is very low in Lake Worth creek that I could only get a small White Hall boat through but I will manage to get the remainder of the shipment to this place by the 10th of May without fail. I have some very large alligator skins and lot of bird skeletons on hand of kinds not heretofore sent, also some large leather back turtles. &c

The capture of the crocodile gave me great joy. The fact that they are crocodiles in the waters of southern Florida, is now established beyond all doubt, and will add a new chapter to the natural history of North America.

Three years ago, Professor Baird [in] Washington D.C., offered to defray any expense that I would incur if I would undertake to get him one. (if there were any new species of an alligator or crocodile in Fla. which he

page 2

seemed to doubt very much.) the result of my enquiries of men who in the aggregate had killed more than a thousand alligators for the purpose of getting there skins, convinced me that there were no such creature as a crocodile in Fla. It is a singular fact that they have never been seen or captured by any of the numerous hunters and Naturalists who have visited this country in search of all such things.

now you know something about southeast Florida pioneer history that historical academia does not. This Crocodile was 10'4" long. The "Whitehall" boat mentioned was my Uncle William Moore's and the trip to the nearest trading post at Titusville was 160 miles each way. Sorry, I'm bored.