PDA

View Full Version : The Warriors

Caps
12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
This game is good! I rented it the other day and simply fell in love with it, I think I'm going to buy it. I had never seen the movie it's based on either, but once I played the game I went out and bought it and the movie is great too. Has anyone here played the game?

Agent51
12-21-2005, 01:28 AM
This game is good! I rented it the other day and simply fell in love with it, I think I'm going to buy it. I had never seen the movie it's based on either, but once I played the game I went out and bought it and the movie is great too. Has anyone here played the game?

No, but the movie rocks, I've owned it since before DVDs existed, on good ol' VHS, lollol.

How are the controlls? Do you basically just run around and beat the crap out of a bunch of people?

Slappy8800
12-21-2005, 02:54 AM
it was OK...very repetitive

dominizzo
12-21-2005, 03:08 AM
whats this game about?

d-day
12-21-2005, 04:24 AM
i bought it last month - a personal fave of mine...

Caps
12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
No, but the movie rocks, I've owned it since before DVDs existed, on good ol' VHS, lollol.

How are the controlls? Do you basically just run around and beat the crap out of a bunch of people?

About 70% of the game is backstory, how the Warriors were formed, how all the members joined, and how they became a big time gang. That is done really well, with a great storyline and almost all of the original actors doing voice work for their respective characters.

The bulk of the game is beating people down, on the PS2 square is heavy attacks, X is light attacks, and O is used to grab people. R1 is used to block, L2 is used to sprint, the left analog stick moves your character and the right moves the camera. Triangle picks up weapons, hats, and opens doors, pushes buttons, etc. You can string together combos and use your environment, like smashing people's heads against the wall or throwing them through a door. You can use weapons you find lying around like beer bottles, 2x4's, bricks, pipes, etc.

There are some stealth aspects to the game, like hiding in the shadows and stealth kills. There is also a good deal of running as well, especially when you get near the end, when you begin playing out the events of the movie, and the running is usually a kind of obstacle course where you jump fences, smash through doors, and jump from rooftop to rooftop.

In between levels you go to the Warriors' hangout, where you can do pullups, pushups, situps, and work with a heavy bag to improve your stats. You can also talk to other Warriors here and access flashback levels and storyline levels. You can also leave your hangout to go free roam Coney Island and do side missions. There are also little things you can do on the side like robbing stores, stealing radios out of cars, mugging people, and spraying your tag over other gang's burners.

I recommend this game to pretty much anyone who likes beat-em ups, fighting games, or is a fan of the movie. I'm having a great time with it, and I'm planning on buying it.

Agent51
12-21-2005, 03:18 PM
About 70% of the game is backstory, how the Warriors were formed, how all the members joined, and how they became a big time gang. That is done really well, with a great storyline and almost all of the original actors doing voice work for their respective characters.

The bulk of the game is beating people down, on the PS2 square is heavy attacks, X is light attacks, and O is used to grab people. R1 is used to block, L2 is used to sprint, the left analog stick moves your character and the right moves the camera. Triangle picks up weapons, hats, and opens doors, pushes buttons, etc. You can string together combos and use your environment, like smashing people's heads against the wall or throwing them through a door. You can use weapons you find lying around like beer bottles, 2x4's, bricks, pipes, etc.

There are some stealth aspects to the game, like hiding in the shadows and stealth kills. There is also a good deal of running as well, especially when you get near the end, when you begin playing out the events of the movie, and the running is usually a kind of obstacle course where you jump fences, smash through doors, and jump from rooftop to rooftop.

In between levels you go to the Warriors' hangout, where you can do pullups, pushups, situps, and work with a heavy bag to improve your stats. You can also talk to other Warriors here and access flashback levels and storyline levels. You can also leave your hangout to go free roam Coney Island and do side missions. There are also little things you can do on the side like robbing stores, stealing radios out of cars, mugging people, and spraying your tag over other gang's burners.

I recommend this game to pretty much anyone who likes beat-em ups, fighting games, or is a fan of the movie. I'm having a great time with it, and I'm planning on buying it.

Sounds AWESOME dude, I'm gonna have to go pick it up now.

dominizzo
12-21-2005, 03:29 PM
is it on pc

Caps
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
is it on pc

I don't think so, but even if it was, would you really want to play a beat em up on a PC?

mor911
12-21-2005, 05:05 PM
is it on pc
A gamespot search for "the warriors" turned out NO PC results :(
http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&qs=the+warriors&x=0&y=0

d-day
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM

mor what are you doing in caps avatar...?!

mor911
12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
mor what are you doing in caps avatar...?!
Yeah no crap... The Mor = Swan

d-day
12-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah no crap... The Mor = Swan

:hmmm: i wonder if the real swan has you in his avatar somewhere... :eyebrow: :chuckle:

Caps
12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
:confused: The guy in my avatar is Ajax.

d-day
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
:confused: The guy in my avatar is Ajax.

:smackhead shhhhhhh..... i've seem to forgotten all my 3am warrior brother names... :chuckle: - hey swan who was ajax again...? :hmmm:

d-day =cyrus
the mor = swan
gonzo = luther
? = ajax

Caps
12-21-2005, 09:51 PM
:smackhead shhhhhhh..... i've seem to forgotten all my 3am warrior brother names... :chuckle: - hey swan who was ajax again...? :hmmm:

d-day =cyrus
the mor = swan
gonzo = luther
? = ajax

It was Green Monster I think. Shame on you! I knew who it was and I'm not even part of The Crew!

d-day
12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
It was Green Monster I think. Shame on you! I knew who it was and I'm not even part of The Crew!

:whew: thanks for not giving me the finger... :tsk:

Caps
12-21-2005, 10:46 PM
:whew: thanks for not giving me the finger... :tsk:

I'd never think of it:up: BTW guys, I forgot to mention the Armies of the Night minigame. It's a double dragons-style side scroller where you play as Ajax and Swan. Boy that thing too me back about ten years to when I first got into gaming. The memories...

dominizzo
12-22-2005, 02:10 AM

Thanks The MOR

Motion
12-23-2005, 09:37 AM

I agree

Flame
12-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I got this game Wednesday and, have had a hard time putting down the controller. I loved the movie also

JPhinfan86
12-24-2005, 04:44 AM
whats this game about?
This game is based ENTIRELY on the 1970's cult-classic film (of the same name) about a New York Gang known as "The Warriors". There are some 60,000 gang members in New York (all of different affiliations) and they're all out the kill the Warriors. The Warriors are the main suspects in the murder of a gang leader that started to band the entire 'army' of gangs in all of New York. Where these gangs used to fight among themselves, this man had managed to pull them together to fight as one. As hunted men the premise of the game is to fight your way to Warriors territory, taking out these crusaders on your way. The Warriors are actually innocent, they were systematically framed by someone and must live long enough to vindicate themselves. Remember, each gang has their thing...so the personality assigned is certainly noteworthy (much like the gangs in Manhunt as well). :up:

Some really great aspects of this game. BRUTALITY!! It is crazy. I found myself semi-shocked at the number of bloody moves and combos available. For instance, I had a cop in a hold and I was standing next to a wall. I pressed the option to throw him but my guy SMASHED HIS SKULL INTO THE CONCRETE WALL......C-R-U-N-C-H! To make money to fund the gangs endeavors you must steal radios out of cars on the streets (punch to bust the windows then move the analog in a circular motion to get the 'screws' out of the console). You can also attempt to rob people on the streets or you can simply kill them then loot their bodies. You may also throw bricks through shop windows...smash and grab the cases inside and you stand to make a nice chunk. The stealth element is most definetly similar to that used in Manhunt (also of the same creator). You also are presented the opporunity (many times) to make your mark with a nice, huge red "W" to show the Warriors have arrived (in the form of graffitti). Oddjobs for hoodies for cash also move the story along.

ROCKSTAR absolutely maintained their definitive style in this title....and if you know videogames you almost positively know when you're playing a ROCKSTAR game.

JPhinfan86
12-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Honestly this was my one percieved down-side to this game. I don't mean to say it isn't a blast to brawl countless times....however it does become a bit monotonous.

dominizzo
01-03-2006, 03:23 AM
i bought it im not impressed

Caps
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
i bought it im not impressed

Do you like beat em ups in the first place? Or the movie?

dominizzo
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Do you like beat em ups in the first place? Or the movie?

the movie is great the GAme sucks

Caps
01-03-2006, 04:47 PM
the movie is great the GAme sucks

Wow, OK. You're like the first person I've heard of that didn't like the game, but different strokes I guess.