4 years, 52 Million.

Enjoy him New York...

DonShula84
12-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Traitor!

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Traitor!

I already feel sorry for him.. that first trip to Fenway is going to be HELL. :sidelol:

For that kind of money... I'm glad the Red Sox stayed away.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I guess Damon was just a whore for the money. That's fine personally I didn't want him signed for over 2 years personally. No hey enjoy NY, you'll never be as popular or as loved as you were in Boston, and if you don't produce you're gonna be booed out of NY. I'm sure the WFAN is going to have a field day making fun of his arm. Get ready for the boos and of course your hair cut!

Johnny Damon Now: :goof:
Johnny Damon in Feb: :)

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Seriously though Damon has been a good hitter for the Red Sox the last two year and is very good in the club house however I was worried his body was going to break down and he wouldn't be good for his whole contract.

Thanks for 2004 Johnny.

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Red Sox fans...

Carl Everett for CF in 2006? ;)

Ah, the memories... Seriously, where do we turn now? Jeremy Reed?

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Red Sox fans...

Carl Everett for CF in 2006? ;)

Ah, the memories... Seriously, where do we turn now? Jeremy Reed?

Everett signed with Seattle sorry.

I'd LOVE to somehow get either Grady Sizemore or Coco Crisp.

Apparently the Sox can have Reed for Bronson Arroyo. It looks like he'll end up in Boston.

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Coco Crisp would be a great pickup, but you gotta believe that since Nomar signed with the Dodgers, the Indians would be hesitant to trade him.

Phinz4Life
12-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Damn I thought I could break this!

I didn't want him.

Overpaid.

Would have been happy with Bubba.

GreenMonster
12-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Coco Crisp would be a great pickup, but you gotta believe that since Nomar signed with the Dodgers, the Indians would be hesitant to trade him.

Ya the Indians are not very high on moving Crisp unless the offer is great. He would be a killer pickup. As we sit right now, Reed looks like he will be coming to Boston.

Phinz4Life
12-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Ya the Indians are not very high on moving Crisp unless the offer is great. He would be a killer pickup. As we sit right now, Reed looks like he will be coming to Boston.

Getting Crisp would make me jealous.

Not only talent, but that damn name.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 12:34 AM
The Yankees have a very very impressive line up on paper. However pitching wins championships.

GreenMonster
12-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Seriously though Damon has been a good hitter for the Red Sox the last two year and is very good in the club house however I was worried his body was going to break down and he wouldn't be good for his whole contract.

Thanks for 2004 Johnny.

Agreed, I love Damon thanx for the memories. I also believe by year 4 he will be a shadow of the Johnny Damon I enjoyed the last 4 years.

Phinz4Life
12-21-2005, 12:46 AM
The Yankees have a very very impressive line up on paper. However pitching wins championships.

Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano
(Dont really want to mention, but, Jaret Wright)

Spot Starter: 10-0 Aaron Small

With the bullpen additions, and the lineup, I'm liking it.

Motion
12-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Way overpaid but I'm glad we got a CF'er finally.

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

Mussina is trash, as is a "miserable" Pavano, Wang looked pretty good though.

Aaron Small is a career minor leaguer. As a Red Sox fan, if your rotation depends on a guy like Small, I'm loving it.

The lineup is insane though, no questions asked there. But the lineup hasn't been the problem for you guys the past couple of years.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

That's cool if you like that pitching staff.

I think that a lot of Yankee starters pitched over their heads last year (like Small, Leiter and Chacon). I really don't think Small is going to win 10 games for the rest of his life and Chacon in my opinion is going to come back down to earth, give him a full year in the AL and you'll see.

Also you have to watch out for the injury bug with Wright. Mussina always breaks down towards the end of the year. Johnson is another year older. And Pavano wasn't good when he pitched in NY. Wang is pretty good in my opinion but again, like Wright, he's an injury risk.

The Yankees aren't getting younger like a lot of other teams in the AL East. They're going to be in trouble in a few years.

SMadison29
12-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Yankees just keep getting older, though I like the line-up

CF-Damon (L)
SS-Jeter (R)
3B-ARod (R)
1B-Giambi (L)
RF-Sheffield (R)
LF-Matsui (L)
C-Posada (S)
DH-?????
2B-Cano (R)

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:03 AM

CF-Damon (L)
SS-Jeter (R)
3B-ARod (R)
1B-Giambi (L)
RF-Sheffield (R)
LF-Matsui (L)
C-Posada (S)
DH-?????
2B-Cano (R)

They have a great line up. But the Yankee don't realize that they signed Johnny Damon to be Bernie Williams Jr. in CF.

GreenMonster
12-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

The only pitcher I would want on my team from that list is Wang.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Comment from JohnNY Damon:

"New York came after me aggressively and that's what sealed the deal... I'm headed to New York... I'm very excited... It's with mixed emotions... Time for me to look forward.

“They came after me aggressively. We knew George Steinbrenner’s reputation. He wants to have the best players… (I’m) now part of the Yankees with a great lineup. We’re going to be tough to beat. No (the Red Sox did not match the offer), I talked to Tito and I told him they had to ‘really get going’… (I) had other plans, I’m not sure if they knew I meant it but I’m a Yankee. Hopefully now they’ll go off and get one of the center fielders they’ve been courting for the last month or so.

“Our policy with the Yankees is to go out there and win… Goof leadoff men are tough to find and I think the Yankees found the best leadoff hitter in the game.

“(Red Sox) fans are going to be upset. I hope they remember the great World Series and the three out of four years we made the playoffs. I appreciate them… I tried to come back.

“…Go out and win a World Series, that’s what I have to do.” -- 12.20.05, Johnny Damon on CBS4 News Boston

Why cant just once a player come out and say "Hey I took the money"? Also Red Sox fans shouldn't think of Damon as a traitor. Because let's face it the guy came to Boston because they offered him the most money back in 2001. The guy is and always has been a money whore. Now let the war in NY between Damon's stripper wife and Benson's stripper wife begin.

RWhitney014
12-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Aaron Small is nothing to write home about. He had a fantastic 2005 but is just as liable to go 0-10 in 2006. Wright stinks. Pavano is unhappy. Wang is good. Mussina is getting older, and Johnson ain't no spring chicken, either. The lineup is strong as usual, but I'd have to agree that the rotation leaves plenty to be desired.

PressCoverage
12-21-2005, 03:11 AM
well, this really hurts... it can not be overstated how loved Johnny Damon had become in Boston, and you wonder if he either a) never truly recognized it, or b) never really enjoyed it... i mean, if you have no ultimate loyalty to the team you just won a world series with, don't agree to be such a media darling in movies, commercials, pranks, etc. ...

it's like Roger Moore asking the Nike CEO Phil Knight: "So, you're a billionaire. That's cool and all. But wouldn't it be ok to just be a half a billionaire?"

Yankee fans will crow about this one. And they should. This will get them back to having a fine leadoff hitter, and perhaps their entire lineup back to waiting for pitches like they did when they ruled. Behind that ridiculous lineup, he could easily score 150 runs...

Damon's health will surely be key.... At 32, he's not shown any signs of slowing down, and you might say '05 was his second best year, statistically... Second only to '04... 18-1 steals? .316 average?

Figuratively, about $10 million of this deal is just George's gamesmanship against Boston... Just another example of how New York just outspends everyone to guarantee success...

Nothing ever lasts in pro sports today... Oh well... Here's hoping we get Crisp...

PressCoverage
12-21-2005, 04:01 AM
Here's a name i've heard in some circles... Torii Hunter?... a free agent after '06, but the Twins would ask for a lot...

CalDolFan10x14
12-21-2005, 04:09 AM
4 years, 52 Million.

Enjoy him New York...

Oh we will! :up:

Defensively, his arm may not be any better than Williams', but he's speedy and can cover a lot of area out there in the big Yankees stadium field, especially left center. Offensively, well we ALL know how good he is in that department, plus he can steal a base or two....one thing that was in decline last season.

CF Damon
SS Jeter
3B Rodriguez
RF Sheffield
LF Matsui
1B Giambi
DH Williams ???
C Posada
2B Cano

That's "Murder's Row" right there! There's hardly any holes in that lineup, if any. I know pitching wins champs and all that, but WOW! I think we got a line-up capable of overcoming that. Not only that, but with the recent signings of Farnsworth and Dotel, we're vastly improved in the bullpen.....clearly a glaring weakness last season. Closing shouldn't be a problem, needless to say. Rivera is one of the best in the business.

Our starters may not be the best in the majors, but they are still a force to be reckoned with. If Mussina can step it up and Johnson stays relatively healthy, we'll have one heck of a one-two punch. Wang and Small, although young, show a lot of promise and upside. Chacon, Pavano, and Wright have their moments as well, good and bad. There's a lot of time left in the offseason, so we'll probably go after another starter or two.

2006 looks like it could be a return to glory for the Yanks. It'll be exciting to see if we could transform all that talent into results on the field. The key is to avoiding another slow start as we had last year. Consistency is going to be the key.

PressCoverage
12-21-2005, 04:13 AM

There's a lot of time left in the offseason, so we'll probably go after another starter or two.

hell, why stop at one or two? why not 3, 4 aces from other teams? i mean, money's no option, right?

i'm convinced George is terminal or something and racing against the clock to remove that sour taste and buy that elusive title...

Cano's the only guy in that lineup not making $10M a season... :rolleyes:

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 04:13 AM

Blah, Blah, Blah..

Pitching wins, bottom line. Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Small and quite possibly Chacon (i'll hold off judgement on him) are all garbage.

CalDolFan10x14
12-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah..

Pitching wins, bottom line. Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Small and quite possibly Chacon (i'll hold off judgement on him) are all garbage.

We'll see this season, buddy. We'll see. It's not like the Red Sox lineup is that much better. Wakefield may be your best pitcher with that knuckler, but when that fails, it's like watching a homerun derby. Schilling??? How is he going to hold up this season? He's still got game, but his best days are faaaaaar past him. Wells? He has his moments and plays tough all the time, but he's another one who probably won't hold up through the whole season. Clement and Arroyo (when he starts) are good, but nothing special. Beckett may be an up-and-comer, but I haven't seen enough to judge him.

Judging from your current bullpen, it isn't a pen to write home about. Timlin and Foulke are the only ones who would give the opposition a hard time. Other than that, the Sox bullpen is below average. They're going to have to get some big innings out of their starters to get to their one-two punch of Timlin/Foulke. It could be a tough time pitching-wise for the Red Sox unless they get another name or two, or someone out of the 'pen steps up and makes a name for himself.

TXfootball
12-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Johnny Damon Now: :goof:
Johnny Damon in Feb: :)

So true! :lol:

CalDolFan10x14
12-21-2005, 04:58 AM
So true! :lol:

With Boston: :ally: Long hair and everything.
With New York: :rawk: Clean cut! :D

:lol:

NJFINSFAN1
12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I wonder now if that rumor a few weeks ago may not have been so much a rumor.

Beltran for Manny?

God I hope it was a rumor, as a Met fan I don't want that.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I guess Damon was just a whore for the money.

THEY ALL ARE!!!!!!!! You think these guys have loyalty?

1) No players care about the fans
2) Players will always go to the highest bidder
3) A city is a city is a city......these guys will go anywhere and play, its just a different jersey and hat.

Example:::: Roger Clemens said he will only play for Houston, Texas, NYY,, or Boston. You don't think if say....Seattle offered him what he wanted money wise he wouldn't go there for a year! LOL...please SEATTLE HERE COMES THE ROCKET!

These guys are all the same. MONEY MONEY MONEY! Everything else (including the outcomes of the games) are secondary.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Tell that to the Angles of 2002!

NJFINSFAN1
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Paul Konerko (Sorry if spelled wrong) did not go for the money.

Yes most do, but you can't say all.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

The bullpen is looking vastly improved for the Yanks. And Boston has yet to improve their pen. You have to figure with Damon and Manny OUT in Boston they won't score as many runs as they did last year.......and if they don't improve that bullpen ASAP then its gonna be a long year in Fenway.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Paul Konerko (Sorry if spelled wrong) did not go for the money.

Yes most do, but you can't say all.

99.9%

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Aaron Small is nothing to write home about. He had a fantastic 2005 but is just as liable to go 0-10 in 2006. Wright stinks. Pavano is unhappy. Wang is good. Mussina is getting older, and Johnson ain't no spring chicken, either. The lineup is strong as usual, but I'd have to agree that the rotation leaves plenty to be desired.

Bottom line though.....From starters, to middle relief, to closer.......the Yanks have the best pitching in the AL East.

Boston has no bullpen or closer and are hoping Schilling can return to his old form. He MIGHT be washed up. Baltimore has nothing. Tampa has nothing. Toronto has a little pitching but nothing special and not as good as the Yanks pitching.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Here's a name i've heard in some circles... Torii Hunter?... a free agent after '06, but the Twins would ask for a lot...

If you can wait till July you will get him cheap. Problem is Boston might be 15 out by July and the move might not be needed.

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM

CF-Damon (L)
SS-Jeter (R)
3B-ARod (R)
1B-Giambi (L)
RF-Sheffield (R)
LF-Matsui (L)
C-Posada (S)
DH-?????
2B-Cano (R)

Close........NY will get someone to play 1B and will let Giambi DH and just hit.

And don't be surprised if Pavano is moved to get NY a top prospect to use as future trade bait or a first basemen.

phunwin
12-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Close........NY will get someone to play 1B and will let Giambi DH and just hit.

And don't be surprised if Pavano is moved to get NY a top prospect to use as future trade bait or a first basemen.

They'll have a hard time moving Pavano for much value with that contract and his injury.

God, I wish the Mets had hung onto Cameron a bit longer now. Surely the Red Sox would have given up something better than Xavier Nady in a deal.

nyjunc
12-21-2005, 11:15 AM
and if you don't produce you're gonna be booed out of NY.

Are you saying that if he didn't produce in Boston he wouldn't have been booed?

nyjunc
12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah..

That's a little harsh. Mussina is what he has always been, a quality pitcher but not great. Pavano when healthy is good and hopefully he's back and healthy, Wright is garbage, Small cannot be counted on, Wang looks for real as does Chacon and can randy hold off Father Time another year?

You guys have as many SP issues as we do w/ the way Schilling looked and the while Beckett has star ability he has never consistently pitched the way he did in the WS. who do you have after that? Wakefiled always kills us but gets killed by the rest of the league, Clement is a joke, are you coutning on Papelbon already?

I wanted a defensive CF but Damon at the top of this order is too tantalizing plus the added bonus that it weakens you guys helps too. That's a BIG hole in your lineup. As of now the yanks look to be the best team but we'll see how each staff holds up.

dm416
12-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Never thought I'd see it happen :shakeno:

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
THEY ALL ARE!!!!!!!! You think these guys have loyalty?

1) No players care about the fans
2) Players will always go to the highest bidder
3) A city is a city is a city......these guys will go anywhere and play, its just a different jersey and hat.

Example:::: Roger Clemens said he will only play for Houston, Texas, NYY,, or Boston. You don't think if say....Seattle offered him what he wanted money wise he wouldn't go there for a year! LOL...please SEATTLE HERE COMES THE ROCKET!

These guys are all the same. MONEY MONEY MONEY! Everything else (including the outcomes of the games) are secondary.

Really Mike? Thanks I didn't know that about 90% of sports figures just care about money. I was stating the obvious as were you.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Tell that to the Angles of 2002!

I'm confused are you trying to say that the Angels had no pitching in 2002? Wow, Washburn was a Cy Young candidate, Lackey had a hell of a rookie year and was very good, Appier pitched well down the strench too. And people were calling Ramon Ortiz "little Pedro" in 2002. As for the pen, Percival, K-Rod and Donnelly. The Angels had no pitching? :confused:

They won because they had pitching.

GreenMonster
12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
The bullpen is looking vastly improved for the Yanks. And Boston has yet to improve their pen. You have to figure with Damon and Manny OUT in Boston they won't score as many runs as they did last year.......and if they don't improve that bullpen ASAP then its gonna be a long year in Fenway.

I keep checking to see where Manny was traded but I haven't seen it yet.. And when you are the top (900+ runs scored the last 2 years) its hard to go anywhere but down.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Boston didn't go anything to improve their pen? Mike have you paid attention to anything going on that not the Yankees this offseason? The Sox added Mota, Van Burden, Rudy Saenez to their pen. I know I know big deal huh? Well it is an upgrade over their pen last year. However in my opinion I think Foulke will be back to form (after all he sucks everyother year) and also I think Mota now back with Dave Wallace who he worked with in LAD could regain form. Foulke and Mota are the keys to the pen. If healthy and back to form Mota > Farnsworth. Add in either Bronson Arroyo (if he's not traded) and/or Jonathan Papelbon with Timlin the bullpen is much improved. Plus let's say one of those guys gets hurt, the Sox will call up Manny Delcarmen or Craig Hansen. If Farnsworth gets hurt punching a wall the Yankees will call up Ramiro Mendoza.

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
If you can wait till July you will get him cheap. Problem is Boston might be 15 out by July and the move might not be needed.

:sidelol:

Are you really that delusional?

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM

Hey last time Boston was 15 games out of 1st in July was 2004. I think we all know what happened that year, I know you haven't forgotten ;)

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Bottom line though.....From starters, to middle relief, to closer.......the Yanks have the best pitching in the AL East.

Boston has no bullpen or closer and are hoping Schilling can return to his old form. He MIGHT be washed up. Baltimore has nothing. Tampa has nothing. Toronto has a little pitching but nothing special and not as good as the Yanks pitching.

The Yankees have the best pitching in the AL East? Are you drunk? The Yankees have the same team that they had last year minus Gordon plus Farnworth (I won't add in Dotel because he won't be ready to pitch until May/June plus he's injuried so who knows what you can get). The Yankees have the best closer in baseball no doubt about it. However the Yankees didn't upgrade their rotation while two teams (Blue Jays and Red Sox) have.

I talked about Boston's pen already so I won't talk about it again but you talk about Schilling being washed up but what about Randy Johnson or Mussina? Last time Johnson pitched a game he leave after the 4th inning in a playoff game. Didn't the Yankees sign him to be a big game pitcher?

Blue Jays have the BEST starter in the AL East, maybe in the AL, in Halladay. Burnett could turn into something special or could turn into a Carl Pavano. Lilly is a decent 3rd or 4th pitcher and Gustavo Chacan (spelling?) pitched very well in his rookie year and could turn into a good pitcher. I think you under estimate other teams.

PressCoverage
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
just let them blow themselves out of hot air... Yankee fans always see their lineup through rose-colored glasses, and ours through dirty glasses. ... The fact is, the Spanks vastly underperformed last season, and I feel there are serious "harmony" issues in that clubhouse.... They'll score a lot of runs, but theirs is NOT a championship pitching staff...

They now have the best leadoff hitter in baseball, and we lost him... fine...

What will be their excuse this year when they get swept some weekend by the Royals, lose out the season series to Tampa, scratch and claw to make the playoffs, and get embarrassed against a team with half their payroll?... When is enough enough for George? 300 million? 400 million? Heck, half a billion in 2007? Why not? Just keep throwing more money into it, that's GOTTA be the answer... Best of luck George... watch that blood pressure...

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
When is enough enough for George? 300 million? 400 million? Heck, half a billion in 2007? Why not? Just keep throwing more money into it, that's GOTTA be the answer... Best of luck George... watch that blood pressure...

How about spending more than $1 billion in player payroll since 2000 and winning 0 championships?

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I wonder how much money the Red Sox spent in 86 years to win one championship?

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 04:13 PM
I wonder how much money the Red Sox spent in 86 years to win one championship?

:lol: That was a good one.

However the Red Sox never spend $200 million in a single season. The Yankee F.O. have clearly been in a panic mode since 2001. It shows with all the money they have been throwing around since then.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Anyways man, I don't understand why everyone's still crying the Yankees foul because of how much they spend. It's not gonna change today, tomorrow, or anytime soon, so learn to accept it and stop crying like babies. The Yankees will continue to spend whether they win or not, it's how they work and it's been that way since they bought Babe Ruth. Everyone get over it and worry about your own teams, now what the Yankees are doing.

As for the Johnny Damon signing, I don't understand how anyone can dispute it being a good signing. He's a GREAT lead-off hitter, he's a solid leader, and he hustles his a$$ off. Two guys made me cringe when they came up in big spots against the Yankees. Papi and Damon. His arm leaves more then a lot to be desired but it's hard to argue any other part of his game. I hate Damon (or shall I say hated Damon when he was on the Red Sox) but this is a major major loss for the Red Sox whether they want to admit it or not. As far as what the Yankees paid him, I could care less, it's not my money. I hate all these people saying "oh, they paid to much for him I would never pay that", as if you just spent the money or actually have the option to spend that. The Yankees needed a Centerfielder and lead-off hitter and killed two birds with one stone. This is a good signing and it doesn't make the Yankees a lock to win anything but it brightens the chances. Johnny Damon has been strong these last coupe of years and seems to be getting better. He's averaged 186 hits a year in his career and with Sheff, Giambi, A-Rod, ect, ect, behind him he'll be scoring a lot of runs too. This is a major loss for the Red Sox and a major plus for the Yankees. It doesn't guarantee anything but as I said before, it makes us a better team!

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
This is a major loss for the Red Sox and a major plus for the Yankees. It doesn't guarantee anything but as I said before, it makes us a better team!

No one is debating this, the guy is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game
(Remains to be seen how much he's going to miss Friendly Fenway, well its not going to be friendly to him anymore, as far as offensive production is concerned). But your pitching still sucks, and that will be your downfall.

If the Red Sox go out and get Torii Hunter or Coco Crisp, it will soften the blow immensly. And of course, Schilling and Beckett at the top of the rotation looks pretty damn good.

PressCoverage
12-21-2005, 04:35 PM
As far as what the Yankees paid him, I could care less, it's not my money.

and so there, in a nutshell, is the mantra of the Yankee fan... thank you for so blatantly showing the true colors...

so you hated him once, but now you love him... i see... it's just that you're a mercenary fan, just like your mercenary team... of course it's easy to suggest everyone else is "just crying" when YOUR team is the very one that outspends everyone... as if that's not a HUGE advantage for luring talent in professional sports...

Yankee fans will just never get it... they're like that bratty kid on the playground who points and laughs from behind the big bully of the school...

and their chief response? "well, you guys spent a LOT also"... like a broken record... yeah, we spent, in a desperate attempt to keep up... and we still fell far far short, in terms of payroll... give the Boston Red Sox that extra 100 million, and you don't sniff the division title... i don't like the "arms race" of skyrocketing salaries in baseball at all... i don't even like the Red Sox spending $140M...

baseball NEEDS A SALARY CAP!! it's that simple... would certainly make the draft matter once again... because nowadays, it doesn't...

Roman529
12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
I am not a Red Sox or Yankees fan, but it seems to me that Johnny Damon spit in the Red Sox fan's faces with this move. This would be like Magic Johnson putting on a Celtics uniform (during his day), or Dan Marino putting on a Jets uniform. Some things you just don't do. I am sure Johnny could have made $13 million a year elsewhere, and don't give me that crap about how he wanted to play for George. What he did was wrong.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
and so there, in a nutshell, is the mantra of the Yankee fan... thank you for so blatantly showing the true colors...

so you hated him once, but now you love him... i see... it's just that you're a mercenary fan, just like your mercenary team... of course it's easy to suggest everyone else is "just crying" when YOUR team is the very one that outspends everyone... as if that's not a HUGE advantage for luring talent in professional sports...

Yankee fans will just never get it... they're like that bratty kid on the playground who points and laughs from behind the big bully of the school...

and their chief response? "well, you guys spent a LOT also"... like a broken record... yeah, we spent, in a desperate attempt to keep up... and we still fell far far short, in terms of payroll... give the Boston Red Sox that extra 100 million, and you don't sniff the division title... i don't like the "arms race" of skyrocketing salaries in baseball at all... i don't even like the Red Sox spending $140M...

baseball NEEDS A SALARY CAP!! it's that simple... would certainly make the draft matter once again... because nowadays, it doesn't...

:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river Justin Timberlake!

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Anyways, onto Basbeall related news now that Presscoverage has stopped crying.

Buster Olney has reported that the Yankees and Bernie have agreed on a one year deal. Also Wade Miller is a free-agent, he wasn't offered a contract by midnight last night!

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
The Yankees needed a Centerfielder and lead-off hitter and killed two birds with one stone.

The Yankees needed a lead off hitter? What about Jeter? Who has a better average and OBP than Damon does.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
The Yankees needed a lead off hitter? What about Jeter? Who has a better average and OBP than Damon does.

Jeter did a great job for us leading off, I won't dispute that. But he's been #2 in our line-up since he started his career and that's where he belongs. You can put Jeter anywhere and he would have had the numbers he had, he's that good. Plus even Torre and Jeter himself didn't want to bat lead-off, he did it because he's a team player. He even admitted himself he liked batting 2nd because it allowed him to see what a pitcher had that day before taking his licks!

CalDolFan10x14
12-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Ray Finkle
Jeter did a great job for us leading off, I won't dispute that. But he's been #2 in our line-up since he started his career and that's where he belongs. You can put Jeter anywhere and he would have had the numbers he had, he's that good. Plus even Torre and Jeter himself didn't want to bat lead-off, he did it because he's a team player. He even admitted himself he liked batting 2nd because it allowed him to see what a pitcher had that day before taking his licks!

Jeter is a better #2 batter, no doubt about it. Personally if I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't want him to bat line up.

In 2006 and 2007 the Damon signing is a good move. However, just like the Pedro Martinez deal, its 2008 and 2009 that have to worry you. Damon being compared to Bernie Williams in terms of aging has to scare any Yankee fan, I know it scared me. I didn't want Damon on my team past 2008.

PressCoverage

look at them up on their high horse... i love it... get higher, Spanks... can't wait for it all to come crashing down... they crash harder and harder each October...

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:01 PM
No one is debating this, the guy is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game
(Remains to be seen how much he's going to miss Friendly Fenway, well its not going to be friendly to him anymore, as far as offensive production is concerned). But your pitching still sucks, and that will be your downfall.

If the Red Sox go out and get Torii Hunter or Coco Crisp, it will soften the blow immensly. And of course, Schilling and Beckett at the top of the rotation looks pretty damn good.

Here's the starting pitching for the Red Sox and Yankees heading into the 2006 season.

Yankees-Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Wang, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small.

Red Sox- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells (who Bob Ryan said today on WFAN has demanded a trade and won't be there), Tim Wakefield, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Clement, and Josh Papelbon.

If you ask me, that's a wash and advantage to the Yankees if the Wells is in another uni next year, as Bob Ryan said he would be!

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 05:01 PM
look at them up on their high horse... i love it... get higher, Spanks... can't wait for it all to come crashing down... they crash harder and harder each October...

Yep, they are going anywhere with the Big Useless ******* the bed every divisional series start, and Pussina continuing to be the piece of trash he is.

Aaron Small and Carl Pavano = the vaunted Yankee staff :lol:

phunwin
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Guys, from a runs scored standpoint, the difference between the leadoff hitter and #2 hitter is negligible. Whether it's Damon/Jeter or Jeter/Damon, the net effect on the Yankees' offense will be the same.

In fact, from a strategy standpoint, it makes far more sense to hit Damon first. Two of their best hitters, Giambi and Matsui, are both lefthanded, so scattering them in the lineup as much as possible makes sense.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM

What did you say? I couldn't hear you through your loud, obnoxious crying :cry: :cry::cry:!

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Here's the starting pitching for the Red Sox and Yankees heading into the 2006 season.

Yankees-Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Wang, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small.

Red Sox- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells (who Bob Ryan said today on WFAN has demanded a trade and won't be there), Tim Wakefield, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Clement, and Josh Papelbon.

If you ask me, that's a wash and advantage to the Yankees if the Wells is in another uni next year, as Bob Ryan said he would be!

You are insane, right?

Give me Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Arroyo and Wakefield any day of the week.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 05:07 PM

A wash? Geez. If everyone in each rotation is healthy how can you say its a wash? Even without David Wells the Sox have a better staff, Wells wanted a trade isn't news, he wanted one since early November. I'm sorry but you can't tell me what a straight face that Small is going to be any good this year and that Chacon won't come back down to earth. Clement, Pavano and Wright all suck, no doubt about it.

In my opinion:
Schilling vs. Johnson- wash/advantage Johnson if anything
Beckett vs. Mussina- Beckett
Wakefield vs. Pavano- Wakefield
Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang- Wang
Papelbon vs. Chacon/Wright/Small- Papelbon

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:10 PM
A wash? Geez. If everyone in each rotation is healthy how can you say its a wash? Even without David Wells the Sox have a better staff, Wells wanted a trade isn't news, he wanted one since early November. I'm sorry but you can't tell me what a straight face that Small is going to be any good this year and that Chacon won't come back down to earth. Clement, Pavano and Wright all suck, no doubt about it.

In my opinion:
Schilling vs. Johnson- wash/advantage Johnson if anything
Beckett vs. Mussina- Beckett
Wakefield vs. Pavano- Wakefield
Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang- Wang
Papelbon vs. Chacon/Wright/Small- Papelbon

None of those advantages you just gave are a guarantee which IMO makes it a wash. Schilling and Johnson, even I agree and I'll give Beckett the advantage over Moose if healthy. Other than that it can go either way and Papelbon has not proven enough IMO to be taken over either Chacon or Wright. I think the 5th starter is even which makes it basically a wash!

# 1 Schilling vs. Johnson = Wash
# 2 Beckett vs. Moose = Beckett
# 3 Wakfield vs. Pavano = a wash if Pavano is healthy, Wakefield if your going on durability
#4 Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang = Wang
#5 Papelbon vs. any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters = Wash!

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 05:14 PM
None of those advantages you just gave are a guarantee which IMO makes it a wash. Schilling and Johnson, even I agree and I'll give Beckett the advantage over Moose if healthy. Other than that it can go either way and Papelbon has not proven enough IMO to be taken over either Chacon or Wright. I think the 5th starter is even which makes it basically a wash!

How is Chacon proven then? Papelbon and Chacon pitched about the same amount in the AL last year, and Chacon was crap in the NL (although he did pitch in Colorado so again IMO he's still unproven).

Wright sucks, seriously the guy had 1 good year which happened to be his rookie year. He was terrible everywhere since then but with the Braves. He was terrible when he pitched last year with the Yankees too.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 05:16 PM
#5 Papelbon vs. any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters = Wash!

Papelbon is better than any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters. It's not a wash in my opinion.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Papelbon is better than any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters. It's not a wash in my opinion.

Your assuming that though man, it's not a fact. His upside to be better is definitely something I would have a lot of confidence in if I was a Red Sox fan but he only made 3 starts in his career and I think it's going to take a little more then that to convince me. But hey, won't be the first or last time we disagree that's for **** sure!

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Your assuming that though man, it's not a fact. His upside to be better is definitely something I would have a lot of confidence in if I was a Red Sox fan but he only made 3 starts in his career and I think it's going to take a little more then that to convince me. But hey, won't be the first or last time we disagree that's for **** sure!

:lol: about the disagree part.

Watching Papelbon pitch, you're right he does have upside. He pitching in 17 games, 34 innings and had an ERa of 2.65, plus he pitched very well in the playoffs. I think the kid is going to be something special and it doesn't hurt that people say he's a young Roger Clemens. The kid has balls.

Yankee fans, you included, assume that Small and Chacon will be able to pitch like they did last year but their track records prove otherwise. People think Pavano will bounce back yet his career track proves otherwise because he hasn't been very good in his career, the same can be said about Wright, Clement and Arroyo too though.

We can all argue back and forth but the play the game on the field and that's the only way to see who's right or wrong.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:41 PM
:lol: about the disagree part.

Watching Papelbon pitch, you're right he does have upside. He pitching in 17 games, 34 innings and had an ERa of 2.65, plus he pitched very well in the playoffs. I think the kid is going to be something special and it doesn't hurt that people say he's a young Roger Clemens. The kid has balls.

Yankee fans, you included, assume that Small and Chacon will be able to pitch like they did last year but their track records prove otherwise. People think Pavano will bounce back yet his career track proves otherwise because he hasn't been very good in his career, the same can be said about Wright, Clement and Arroyo too though.

We can all argue back and forth but the play the game on the field and that's the only way to see who's right or wrong.

I couldn't have said it better myself, I'm just sticking up for my squad. Red Sox fans are making like they have a dominating rotation compared to us but that just isn't the truth. If anything it's a paper thin edge!

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2005, 05:42 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Look at homeboy's mug without that grizzly beard! :sidelol:

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, I'm just sticking up for my squad. Red Sox fans are making like they have a dominating rotation compared to us but that just isn't the truth. If anything it's a paper thin edge!

As I'm just stickng up for my squad. Nothing wrong with that.

However in all honesty, whenever Red Sox fans hear Aaron Small's name we just have to laugh. I'm sure if he was on the Red Sox you'd feel the same way or at least know what I mean. In no way is the Red Sox pitching staff more dominate than the Yankees, hopefully I do think they have the edge. The Yankees have more ? than the Sox.

But like I said, they play the game on the field, if they didn't the Yankees would probably win the World Series every year. Man April can't come soon enough....

Ray Finkle
12-21-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/BDD_johnny_yanks-1.jpg

(BDD Photo Illustration)

The 3 Amigos!!!! :lol:

phunwin
12-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Look at homeboy's mug without that grizzly beard! :sidelol:

I love all the "he's selling out!" and "it's symbolism!" whining about Damon shaving his beard and cutting his hair (perpetrated, yet again, by the cosmically untalented Dan Shanoff). They have a dress code, for crying out loud, what's wrong with that? If I showed up to my office looking like Jesus, I'd probably get canned. And don't bother me with the "pro athletes operate in a different world" crap, I'm aware of that. But it's a business, and George the Tyrant would be the first to tell you that.

phunwin
12-21-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/BDD_johnny_yanks-1.jpg

(BDD Photo Illustration)

The 3 Amigos!!!! :lol:

Hey, it's the Backstreet Boys, all grown up!

12-21-2005, 08:42 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/BDD_Damon_pinstripes-1.jpg

Im :D

MikeO
12-21-2005, 09:28 PM

Wells, Arroyo, and Clement could all be gone very soon.

I don't know why Red Sox fans are upset with Damon leaving..........all we have heard is how good that MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM is. Well, call them up and lets see how good they are! :cool:

FaninPatsyLand
12-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, I don't know, but the media is KILLING the Red Sox for their lacadasical approach towards Damon, but I just don't see it. It's almost universally agreed upon that the guy is being vastly overpaid by the Yankees, and is there anyone who would have given him 5 years? I'd like to see that team step forward.

If the front office does an adequate job of filling the hole in Centerfield, I don't see how the Red Sox are worse off heading into 2006. I mean ANYONE who watched this team last year could clearly see the lack of production they were recieving at both Shortstop and 1st Base. Ironically, those two spots happen to be two of the three major holes in this lineup. Is there anyone here who honestly believes the production this year can be any worse than the production we recieved last year from those positions? I mean Renteria only led the Majors in Errors last season and he wasn't exactly a force at the plate (sub .750 OPS). Millar was horrendous as well (.753 OPS) which is downright pathetic for a 1st Baseman.

Now I'm not saying that we are going to find anyone out there who is going to be able to match the offensive production that Damon almost surely would have given us from the leadoff spot. But a loss of production in CF would be hidden by improvements at 2nd Base, 1st Base, 3rd Base (Hopefully. I think Lowell is going to bounce back rather nicely this season) and Shortstop.

All this doom and gloom from the media seems to be overblown, the Red Sox will be fine.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, I don't know, but the media is KILLING the Red Sox for their lacadasical approach towards Damon, but I just don't see it. It's almost universally agreed upon that the guy is being vastly overpaid by the Yankees, and is there anyone who would have given him 5 years? I'd like to see that team step forward.

If the front office does an adequate job of filling the hole in Centerfield, I don't see how the Red Sox are worse off heading into 2006. I mean ANYONE who watched this team last year could clearly see the lack of production they were recieving at both Shortstop and 1st Base. Ironically, those two spots happen to be two of the three major holes in this lineup. Is there anyone here who honestly believes the production this year can be any worse than the production we recieved last year from those positions? I mean Renteria only led the Majors in Errors last season and he wasn't exactly a force at the plate (sub .750 OPS). Millar was horrendous as well (.753 OPS) which is downright pathetic for a 1st Baseman.

Now I'm not saying that we are going to find anyone out there who is going to be able to match the offensive production that Damon almost surely would have given us from the leadoff spot. But a loss of production in CF would be hidden by improvements at 2nd Base, 1st Base, 3rd Base (Hopefully. I think Lowell is going to bounce back rather nicely this season) and Shortstop.

All this doom and gloom from the media seems to be overblown, the Red Sox will be fine.

That's funny, Buster Olney said the Yankees got him at a bargain, especially considering that J.D. Drew got 5 years 55 million from the Dodgers last year!

FaninPatsyLand
12-22-2005, 12:04 AM
That's funny, Buster Olney said the Yankees got him at a bargain, especially considering that J.D. Drew got 5 years 55 million from the Dodgers last year!

Buster Olney was a former Yankee beat writer. He is to the Yankees what Peter Gammons is to the Red Sox. When it involves the Yankees, you can throw out his opinion because it's clearly slanted.

Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News even wrote an article on the Damon signing, I'll find it and paste the key points in my next post.

FaninPatsyLand
12-22-2005, 12:21 AM
I happen to like Mike Lupica alot, I think he's a great columnist and here is his take on the Johnny Damon signing..

The story here, in bold type, is that despite all the talk about saving money and getting younger, it was business as usual last night for the Yankees when they decided to pay Damon $52 million to play baseball for them over the next four years.

It is exactly what they do. They pay a ridiculous amount of money for the best guy out there. Damon is actually a perfect age for them, 32, because everybody in the starting lineup other than Robinson Cano, is over 30.

The idea that this is some part of prudent financial plan because they wouldn't go to seven years for Damon is pretty funny. Maybe somebody else out there was going to offer more than $50 million for Johnny Damon at this point in his career, but I'd like to know which team that is. It sure wasn't the Red Sox, and they've always liked Damon a lot, considered him a good player and good soldier and terrific guy in the clubhouse.

In the winter when the Yankees overpaid for Hideki Matsui they now overpay for Johnny Damon. Only here is $52 million supposed to be viewed as some kind of bargain, as though Cashman signed his new center fielder out of a Christmas Club account.

This is a good player for the Yankees, but a much better example of business as usual. Carpe diem, as they say in Latin. Seize the day. Or Damon, in this case.

Pretty interesting stuff. But of course Buster thinks the Yankees got a steal at 13 million a year.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/376614p-319988c.html

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Your just in denial. Your bitter and your trying anyway you can to convince yourself the Red Sox are better off without Johnny. I could care less what Lupica says, he's a Yankee hater. Every article he's ever written about the Yankees is negative. Keep trying to convince yourself Johnny Damon got paid to much, ect, ect, I could care less. It doens't change the fact that Georgie stole the HEART of your team and the face of your franchise, and once again you Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces!

FaninPatsyLand
12-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Your just in denial. Your bitter and your trying anyway you can to convince yourself the Red Sox are better off without Johnny. I could care less what Lupica says, he's a Yankee hater. Every article he's ever written about the Yankees is negative. Keep trying to convince yourself Johnny Damon got paid to much, ect, ect, I could care less. It doens't change the fact that Georgie stole the HEART of your team and the face of your franchise, and once again you Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces!

Lupica is a Yankee hater? Maybe that's why I like him so much. Georgie stole the heart of our team? Last time I checked, Big Papi was still on the Red Sox roster.

I'm not trying to convince myself we're better off, yet. If the front office makes a few good moves, why can't we be better off without Damon?

13 million is a bargain? Only from you dude, that's asinine. :lol:

RWhitney014
12-22-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm not going to start analyzing the pitching in the AL East since I don't care at this point, but the way this team is constructed, the division championship obviously isn't the goal. The White Sox have better pitching. The Indians could. The Athletics do. The Angels might. These are all teams to be concerned about, because they're more complete than New York right now. Of course, if Steinbrenner gets a bug up a particular orifice for Barry Zito and decides that he'll trade whomever to get him, you might have a different story.

MikeO
12-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm not going to start analyzing the pitching in the AL East since I don't care at this point, but the way this team is constructed, the division championship obviously isn't the goal. The White Sox have better pitching. The Indians could. The Athletics do. The Angels might. These are all teams to be concerned about, because they're more complete than New York right now. Of course, if Steinbrenner gets a bug up a particular orifice for Barry Zito and decides that he'll trade whomever to get him, you might have a different story.

Of course the White Sox have better pitching. As do the A's and maybe LA and whoever else. There is no trade or free agent move for NY that will change that.

Bottom line, I don't HATE NY's pitching staff. I like its depth, I like the bullpen more now than last year and I am not down on the starters.

GreenMonster
12-22-2005, 11:20 AM

Lupica is a Yankee hater? Maybe that's why I like him so much. Georgie stole the heart of our team? Last time I checked, Big Papi was still on the Red Sox roster.

I'm not trying to convince myself we're better off, yet. If the front office makes a few good moves, why can't we be better off without Damon?

13 million is a bargain? Only from you dude, that's asinine. :lol:

It might be bad for 1 year but in year 3 when Damon is 35, playing 120 games a year or less, batting .285, and still doing naked pullups in the lockerroom, the Sox will be able to spend 8million on a new younger Damon like player and another 5 for pitching. Teams like the Sox have to look into the future instead of using million dollar bandaids each year to keep the dream alive. Will I miss Johnny Damon next year, you bet, but I am not bitter about not giving a player of his age/talent a contract over 50million for 4 years. When money is not a problem you make that move in a heartbeat.

phunwin
12-22-2005, 12:11 PM

The Yanks would almost certainly have to start the bidding at Robinson Cano and Chien Ming-Wang before even getting Billy Beane's attention. And I don't see them doing that.

finswin56
12-22-2005, 01:04 PM
The Yanks would almost certainly have to start the bidding at Robinson Cano and Chien Ming-Wang before even getting Billy Beane's attention. And I don't see them doing that. I don't see a Zito trade in the Yanks future. You're right about the starting point for the NYY. I thought the Yankees decided to finally back away from continually giving away their prospects.

PressCoverage
12-22-2005, 03:47 PM

vastly overpaid? they don't know the meaning of the term... how can a player be "overpaid" when the owner and his ventures have bottomless pockets? ... what do they care?... it's all about gamesmanship and sticking it to the team to the north...

he'll be a productive player for them, no doubt... but the money:production ratio just does not apply to one team in all of professional sports... because money doesn't matter to the Yankees' brass...

PressCoverage
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
It might be bad for 1 year but in year 3 when Damon is 35, playing 120 games a year or less, batting .285, and still doing naked pullups in the lockerroom, the Sox will be able to spend 8million on a new younger Damon like player and another 5 for pitching. Teams like the Sox have to look into the future instead of using million dollar bandaids each year to keep the dream alive. Will I miss Johnny Damon next year, you bet, but I am not bitter about not giving a player of his age/talent a contract over 50million for 4 years. When money is not a problem you make that move in a heartbeat.

true... and this is great... but then, the Yankees will just go out and purchase that next player as soon as his contract is up...

finswin56
12-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I think the biggest part of this story is the report that Damon didn't even bother letting the Red Sox brass counter offer. That says a lot about what direction that relationship went.

FIN-IN-RI
12-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I think the biggest part of this story is the report that Damon didn't even bother letting the Red Sox brass counter offer. That says a lot about what direction that relationship went.

The Red Sox weren't going to counter-offer..

FIN-IN-RI
12-22-2005, 05:08 PM

I don't know why Red Sox fans are upset with Damon leaving..........all we have heard is how good that MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM is. Well, call them up and lets see how good they are! :cool:

It is pretty damn good and you will see that for yourself in time but the fact remains that with holes at CF, 1B and SS the expectiation that our farm sysem can take each spot over with average to above average production is fruitless..

Besides, the strength of the Sox farm system is in the pitching.

finswin56
12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
The Red Sox weren't going to counter-offer..Maybe, but why would their brass complain to the media about it? Why not just denounce the contract? Obviously, they are trying to save face w/ the fans. If I were ownership, I wouldn't even mention Damon not trying to get a counter offer, I would just let the fans know I was going to be fiscally responsible, and that Damon wasn't worth that kind of money.
Their actions don't lead me to the conclusion that they wouldn't have tried to counter. I just think the Sox were trying to squeeze Damon.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
vastly overpaid? they don't know the meaning of the term... how can a player be "overpaid" when the owner and his ventures have bottomless pockets? ... what do they care?... it's all about gamesmanship and sticking it to the team to the north...

he'll be a productive player for them, no doubt... but the money:production ratio just does not apply to one team in all of professional sports... because money doesn't matter to the Yankees' brass...

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ray Finkle
12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I love all the "he's selling out!" and "it's symbolism!" whining about Damon shaving his beard and cutting his hair (perpetrated, yet again, by the cosmically untalented Dan Shanoff). They have a dress code, for crying out loud, what's wrong with that? If I showed up to my office looking like Jesus, I'd probably get canned. And don't bother me with the "pro athletes operate in a different world" crap, I'm aware of that. But it's a business, and George the Tyrant would be the first to tell you that.

It's the fact that before Damon grew out his hair and grew a beard no one gave a damn about him. He was just a normal player in Boston, the fans liked him because he was on the team but didn't think twice about him. Once he grew the hair and beard he became a god (no pun intended) for some reason, maybe because it got a lot of the female fans into it. He was the most popular Red Sox the past two years.

The thing with Damon is is that in Boston he would have been a god still however in NY he'll be just another player (maybe even less if he doesn't perform). NY is Jeter's city, town, state, whatever. Damon won't be marketable without his look. Damon is just too stupid to realize that if he stayed in Boston for 4 years for 40 mill he would probably make more than his 4 years for 52 mill in NY because of endorsements etc. Also NY has one of the worst tax states (one of the reasons why when Arod was talking about signing with the Mets in 2000/2001 he wanted more than 252 mill that Texas was offering because of all the taxes he'd have to pay).

Ray Finkle
12-22-2005, 06:54 PM

We do have a good minor league system however the F.O. isn't about to rush a player and bring them up out of panic and have them turn into a Melky Cabrerra or Sean Henn. Remember those guys?

The Sox main OF prospects: Murphy, Moss, Ellisbury are about another year or two away from making the roster. I had heard that if Murphy does well in the minors he could be brought up by July though. Who knows.

Personally I'd rather sign a no name and stick them in the OF for a year rather than bring up the kids too early and ruin them like Melky or Henn, if of course the kids in the Sox system are the real deal.

Ray Finkle
12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
It doens't change the fact that Georgie stole the HEART of your team and the face of your franchise, and once again you Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces!

Yes George did steal the face of the franchise and it will hurt this year, no doubt about it. But you don't know about the next 3 years, nor do I. After all Damon could turn into Bernie Williams of 2005. You never know. I have said a million times on this site that I'd take Damon back for 3 years 30 million MAX. And even then I didn't like giving him the 3rd year. The guy broke down big time at the end of the year. He was a shell of his 1st half self, which many writers were saying he deserved serious MVP thought at the time. He plays hard but gets hurt and plays hurt a lot too, which I respect but he hurt the team being out in CF and batting towards the end of the year with his bad shoulder.

Also I wouldn't use the "Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces" thing. Last time the Yankees "stole" a player from us it was Arod and we all know what happened that year.

Ray Finkle
12-22-2005, 07:01 PM

I think it was more of the Yankees telling Boras he had 2 minutes to decide whether to take it or not and also them telling him not to tell the Sox of the decision.

Also the Sox made it very clear that the most they were going with Damon was 4 years for 40 million.

finswin56
12-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I think it was more of the Yankees telling Boras he had 2 minutes to decide whether to take it or not and also them telling him not to tell the Sox of the decision.

Also the Sox made it very clear that the most they were going with Damon was 4 years for 40 million.Then why complain to the media?

Ray Finkle
12-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Then why complain to the media?

What did they complain about? That they heard about Damon going to the Yankees just like everyone else did through ESPN?

It's common courtesy don't you think? Don't you think that Damon himself should have called the Sox thanking them for 4 good years but he's going in another direction? Hell Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez who both left the Sox on bad terms at least let them know before they told the media.

Let's just say that you worked at Wendy's for the last 4 years and your contract was up and you decided to work at McDonald's instead, would you call and let Wendy's know or would you just let them find out by having an employee buy a Happy Meal from you?

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2005, 10:02 PM
What did they complain about? That they heard about Damon going to the Yankees just like everyone else did through ESPN?

It's common courtesy don't you think? Don't you think that Damon himself should have called the Sox thanking them for 4 good years but he's going in another direction? Hell Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez who both left the Sox on bad terms at least let them know before they told the media.

Let's just say that you worked at Wendy's for the last 4 years and your contract was up and you decided to work at McDonald's instead, would you call and let Wendy's know or would you just let them find out by having an employee buy a Happy Meal from you?

I wouldn't tell them **** if I didn't feel they put in an effort to keep me and McDonald's did everything they can (including offering more money) to get me in their uniform. An eye for an eye it's called!

MikeO
12-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Also I wouldn't use the "Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces" thing. Last time the Yankees "stole" a player from us it was Arod and we all know what happened that year.

DON'T CHANGE HISTORY! The Yanks NEVER stole A-Rod from you. The Sox REFUSED to pay all of A-Rod's contract and the UNION blocked the trade from Texas to Boston because it involved Arod taking a pay cut. NOTHING TO DO WITH GEORGE OR THE YANKS!

After that happened, George sent an offer to Texas. Well after the deal to Boston was dead and burried cause the Sox didn't want to pay the $$$$

MikeO
12-22-2005, 10:26 PM

Common Courtesy? Your kidding! This is big business. If it was the 1st day of free agency, sure yeah pick up the phone. Boston has had more than enough time to re-sign him. A phone call wasn't needed. They knew this could have happened.

MikeO
12-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Then why complain to the media?

Because they didn't want a PR nightmare on their hands and they wanted to spin the story to their favor.

A press conference was over-doing it. A written statment would have been just fine.

PressCoverage
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
the sacred hymn of the soulless: "it's just business"

FaninPatsyLand
12-23-2005, 12:34 AM
the sacred hymn of the soulless: "it's just business"

finswin56
12-23-2005, 01:01 AM

That illustrates my earlier point, perfectly. I think the relationship between Damon and the front office deteriorated pretty badly. Someone else said Boston would not have countered. I think they would have countered(maybe not a matching offer, but something more probably would have been offered), but I just think Damon was ready to leave Boston.

Boston has had a pretty poor history of retaining it stars over the years. I think this reflects poorly on the front office. I'm definately not a Sox fan, but if I was, I would be getting annoyed with this trend. I'm not saying they should have matched the offer for Damon. I'm just pointing out that there is some underlying factor in Boston that scares away the stars. It's not money. Boston has pleny of it, and could have afforded to match the offer to Damon (whether they should have is debatable).

I don't follow everything the Sox do, but this reminds me of the Theo incident. Theo was getting squeezed, and he bascially said to piss off. I think Damon had a similar issue. There is something to be said for giving a respectable first contract offer. Showing respect to your employee goes a long way in keeping the relationship amicable, and thus promoting retention even if you don't want to be the highest bidder.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2005, 12:26 PM
That illustrates my earlier point, perfectly. I think the relationship between Damon and the front office deteriorated pretty badly. Someone else said Boston would not have countered. I think they would have countered(maybe not a matching offer, but something more probably would have been offered), but I just think Damon was ready to leave Boston.

Boston has had a pretty poor history of retaining it stars over the years. I think this reflects poorly on the front office. I'm definately not a Sox fan, but if I was, I would be getting annoyed with this trend. I'm not saying they should have matched the offer for Damon. I'm just pointing out that there is some underlying factor in Boston that scares away the stars. It's not money. Boston has pleny of it, and could have afforded to match the offer to Damon (whether they should have is debatable).

I don't follow everything the Sox do, but this reminds me of the Theo incident. Theo was getting squeezed, and he bascially said to piss off. I think Damon had a similar issue. There is something to be said for giving a respectable first contract offer. Showing respect to your employee goes a long way in keeping the relationship amicable, and thus promoting retention even if you don't want to be the highest bidder.

I agree with that. It seems to me that aside from Varitek (an obvious) the Red Sox haven't been loyal to anyone from that 2004 season. That's bad for business IMO especially considering that it was their first in 86 YEARS. You would think they'd have a little bit more loyalty to those players considering how far they came to win that title!

GreenMonster
12-23-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree with that. It seems to me that aside from Varitek (an obvious) the Red Sox haven't been loyal to anyone from that 2004 season. That's bad for business IMO especially considering that it was their first in 86 YEARS. You would think they'd have a little bit more loyalty to those players considering how far they came to win that title!

What are you talking about. We were the 1st team to go out and give Damon an offer over a month ago 4 years 40mil. That was as far as the Sox were willing to go on Damon which is why they never increased the offer. No other team was willing to put a deal on the table till the Yanks offered that contract on Tues. to Damon. They tell Damon they need an answer today. So he has 1 offer for 4 and 40 and one for 4 and 52. He knows the Sox won't offer 4 and 52 so he takes the cash, no big deal to me. Only 2 teams were in the market for Damon and he took the bigger deal, no surprise in sports today. Does being loyal mean we have to overpay a player to keep him on the team???? Good Luck Johnny Damon, thanx for your 4 best years and a title in 2004.

finswin56
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
What are you talking about. We were the 1st team to go out and give Damon an offer over a month ago 4 years 40mil. That was as far as the Sox were willing to go on Damon which is why they never increased the offer. No other team was willing to put a deal on the table till the Yanks offered that contract on Tues. to Damon. They tell Damon they need an answer today. So he has 1 offer for 4 and 40 and one for 4 and 52. He knows the Sox won't offer 4 and 52 so he takes the cash, no big deal to me. Only 2 teams were in the market for Damon and he took the bigger deal, no surprise in sports today. Does being loyal mean we have to overpay a player to keep him on the team???? Good Luck Johnny Damon, thanx for your 4 best years and a title in 2004.I think the biggest problem was that nothing was offered until after the season. The Sox probably could have kept Damon for that contract had they of made the offer before his contract ran out. Same thing with Theo; he should have be re-signed after the '04 season. If you make a guy work out his full contract w/o serious contract talks, you show a lack of interest. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is what it is.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb

http://damonyanks.ytmnd.com/

BleedinGreenNC
12-23-2005, 05:33 PM
http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb

:sidelol:Thats some good stuff!!

CalDolFan10x14
12-23-2005, 05:55 PM

:lol: :sidelol: Hilarious!

PressCoverage
12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
neither was really very funny.... kinda dumb...

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2005, 06:14 PM
neither was really very funny.... kinda dumb...

I knew you'd love it Press ;) ! :lol:

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:26 PM
DON'T CHANGE HISTORY! The Yanks NEVER stole A-Rod from you. The Sox REFUSED to pay all of A-Rod's contract and the UNION blocked the trade from Texas to Boston because it involved Arod taking a pay cut. NOTHING TO DO WITH GEORGE OR THE YANKS!

After that happened, George sent an offer to Texas. Well after the deal to Boston was dead and burried cause the Sox didn't want to pay the $$$$

You're right the Yankees didn't steal Arod away from the Sox. The Arod deal, like the Damon one, was to stick it to Boston.

You're also forgetting the fact that after the Yankees got Arod, Georgie sent out a note to the AP saying "Unlike some franchises we go above the call and get what our fans want" or some crap like that. It was meant to rub it in the Red Sox FO and fans faces which is fine because George had to choke on his words 9 months later.

Also the according to the Arod for Manny and Lester deal, Texas was making the Red Sox pay some of Manny's contract too. I don't blame the Sox for not wanting to pay all that money.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Common Courtesy? Your kidding! This is big business. If it was the 1st day of free agency, sure yeah pick up the phone. Boston has had more than enough time to re-sign him. A phone call wasn't needed. They knew this could have happened.

No I'm not kidding, that's the problem with these players they're so freakin' greedy and unthankful. Without the Red Sox, Damon probably would have been nothing, he owned them a phone call. Again like I said Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens at least called up the FO and told them they were going somewhere else and they left on bad terms. You're missing my point once again but that's ok.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:31 PM
The eggs are back on the Yankees faces now the Red Sox signed John Flaherty! Take that Big Stein :lol:

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:46 PM

I think there's more to it about retaining their stars since the new brass took over. The Sox clearly dropped the ball with Clemens however since 2004 when Lowe, Pedro, OC left the Sox had reason not to resign them (whether people thought it was right or wrong).

Lowe had/has major problems with drinking and women and plus he plain old sucked in 2004 not counting the playoffs. Pedro was pissed off that Schilling was the new star and I heard from a number of insiders with the Red Sox that there was no way Pedro was coming back to Boston unless they paid him much more than Schilling (Schilling is making 16 to 18 mill a year so Pedro wanted 20 or over) plus the Sox had concerns about Pedro's long term health.
OC has problems of his own and it scared the Sox front office, I won't go into details but people can make guesses judging from where he's from.

I do agree that the Theo thing was very weird and I have no thoughts, knowledge or guesses as to what happened. As for Theo getting squeezed he was going to make a ton of money he just wanted 100% control with wasn't going to happen.

With Damon the FO said to Damon the offer is 4 years for 40 million (same contract given to Varitek who is as important as Damon is), I heard the Sox even went as high as 4 years for 44 but that was the max. The F.O. was honestly worried about Damon's long term health and also I'm hearing (whether its true or BS) is that Damon's wife had past relationships with a lot of the players before he married Damon and the F.O. didn't like that. But again that's a rumor so take it as it is.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Because they didn't want a PR nightmare on their hands and they wanted to spin the story to their favor.

A press conference was over-doing it. A written statment would have been just fine.

You're 100% right. They should have sent out a written statement and that was it. I couldn't argee with you more.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Here's an interesting read from back in May of 2005:
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050501&content_id=1034754&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

In case you don't want to read it all I'll post the important quotes from Damon:

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard," Damon said. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

Johnny Damon, former idiot, current liar and hypocrite.

(I know he's not the first or last player to say this and then go and take the money, a friend e-mailed me the article)

BleedinGreenNC
12-23-2005, 08:13 PM
The eggs are back on the Yankees faces now the Red Sox signed John Flaherty! Take that Big Stein :lol:Yeah, they really evened out!!:sidelol:

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah, they really evened out!!:sidelol:

Yeah because I was serious with that comment too. :rolleyes:

It's not even certain Flaherty will even make the team.

Jt0323
12-23-2005, 08:46 PM

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:48 PM

:cry: :cry: whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Johnny Damon went to the Yankees :cry: :cry: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D :lol: :lol:

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:50 PM
You're right the Yankees didn't steal Arod away from the Sox. The Arod deal, like the Damon one, was to stick it to Boston.

Your an idiot! How was it to stick it to Boston? THEY MADE A MOVE TO GET THE BEST PLAYER IN ALL OF BASEBALL! Soriano was BENCHED in the Word Series he was so bad and when you can get rid of someone like that and add the best player in baseball, you do it. It upgrades your team.

That 2nd city mentality all over again. Everything NY does is to stick it to Boston:shakeno: :shakeno: . The A-Rod deal had NOTHING TO DO WITH BOSTON!!!! Not to mention AROD is a draw and ticket sales went through the friggin rough when they got AROD which increased revenue and profit. Yes, this STILL is a business!

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Also the according to the Arod for Manny and Lester deal, Texas was making the Red Sox pay some of Manny's contract too. I don't blame the Sox for not wanting to pay all that money.

OK, fine. But stop f'n crying about how George ONLY did the move to stick it to Boston. The Sox got cheap (like they always do...Pedro, Damon, A-rod...etc) and George made a move and got A-Rod.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Your an idiot! How was it to stick it to Boston? THEY MADE A MOVE TO GET THE BEST PLAYER IN ALL OF BASEBALL! Soriano was BENCHED in the Word Series he was so bad and when you can get rid of someone like that and add the best player in baseball, you do it. It upgrades your team.

That 2nd city mentality all over again. Everything NY does is to stick it to Boston:shakeno: :shakeno: . The A-Rod deal had NOTHING TO DO WITH BOSTON!!!! Not to mention AROD is a draw and ticket sales went through the friggin rough when they got AROD which increased revenue and profit. Yes, this STILL is a business!

Yes the move was to get the best player in baseball but you can't tell me that it never crossed George's mind that doing this move is going to stick it to the Red Sox? Also if its not sticking it to Boston then why have a written statement about "how he, unlike other owners and franchises, go above the call of duties to get the player", which was clearly a low blow and a shot at the Red Sox.

Mike, you're the last person to say someone else has a 2nd city mentality. What do you call making threads asking Red Sox fans which move is worse? Seriously get a grip on yourself. It's that hypocrite in you that's showing off again.

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
No I'm not kidding, that's the problem with these players they're so freakin' greedy and unthankful. Without the Red Sox, Damon probably would have been nothing, he owned them a phone call. Again like I said Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens at least called up the FO and told them they were going somewhere else and they left on bad terms. You're missing my point once again but that's ok.

Unthankful? Jesus Christ your kidding right? Without Damon the Sox would still be under some make-believe curse! It works both ways! The SOX made him an offer. The Yanks made a better offer. He took the Yanks offer. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!?!?! If he played the middle to get more money out of Boston you would be pissed he held Boston ransom and he would have been called "greedy" either way

You have no point to miss. This is the real world. This is big business. Things like a phone call and such aren't required or necessary. He was a free agent. See, this was a job not a marriage. He showed up to work, did his job, Boston gave him a paycheck. His contract expires, he is free to do what he wants. If Boston wanted to keep him, go after him strong. They didn't, and Damon jumped.

I swear some of you guys must have ******'s with the way you get your feelings hurt.

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I swear some of you guys must have ******'s with the way you get your feelings hurt.

How am I getting my feelings hurt?

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Mike, you're the last person to say someone else has a 2nd city mentality. What do you call making threads asking Red Sox fans which move is worse? Seriously get a grip on yourself. It's that hypocrite in you that's showing off again.

I'm a hypocrite? LOL, you guys act like George is the mother f'n anti-christ. You believe he lives his life just to stick it to Boston with every move. The AROD one is laughable on every level.

MikeO
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
How am I getting my feelings hurt?

read your f'n posts!!!!!

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm a hypocrite? LOL, you guys act like George is the mother f'n anti-christ. You believe he lives his life just to stick it to Boston with every move. The AROD one is laughable on every level.

George an anti-christ? Nah. I think he's a great owner. He's 10000% committed to win and would do anything and has done anything to try to win every single year. You have to respect that.

Again, why sent that written statement then if he wasn't sticking it to Boston and its F.O.?

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 09:02 PM
read your f'n posts!!!!!

I don't have my feelings hurt. I've said it since I joined this message board that I don't want Damon on my team for more than 3 years but if it took 4 years for 40 mill I could live with it but anything more than that let him walk. I've said it a million times and never changed my mind on it.

MikeO
12-23-2005, 09:04 PM
George an anti-christ? Nah. I think he's a great owner. He's 10000% committed to win and would do anything and has done anything to try to win every single year. You have to respect that.

Again, why sent that written statement then if he wasn't sticking it to Boston and its F.O.?

Just part of the fun of the rivalry. Gamesmenship. Did that written statement hurt your feelings? Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, George put out a written statement, whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:cry: :lol:

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Just part of the fun of the rivalry. Gamesmenship. Did that written statement hurt your feelings? Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, George put out a written statement, whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:cry: :lol:

None it didn't hurt my feelings. In fact it gave me a huge laugh 8 months after it and the other statement about how the Red Sox were the better team in October of that year.

Again though you ignore the fact that he wrote the note to stick it to Boston.

PressCoverage
12-23-2005, 09:38 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/george_steinbrenner_biography.shtml

well, while we're being a bit overdramatic, and now that you've brought it up: No, not the anti-christ... but your owner IS an indicted criminal... his suspension from the league (twice) and his removal from it's governing body weren't levied upon him just because they didn't like him...

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Steinbrenner_George.html

his business ventures as they relate to his baseball team have been a bone of contention with MLB for decades.... but with the new CBA and the players essentially winning the 94 strike, nothing was really done about it... in fact, it's gotten worse....

he also slandered Dave Winfield... not merely talked bad about him, but SLANDERED him... paid a thug $40,000 for incriminating evidence against WInfield? lol

anyhoo...

"Yankee fans are impossible to like. More than three decades ago, Roger Angell described them as "overdressed, uncomprehending autumn arrivistes." Today we would describe them as front-running boors."

"Steinbrenner, who has the Mona Lisa of ballparks, has demanded that New York City build him a paint-by-the-numbers stadium with luxury boxes."

"After they lost the '76 World Series , the Yankees voted their batboys $100 shares. Their opponents, the Reds, gave theirs $6591 each."

"According to the Barnhardt Dictionary of Etymology the word Yankee was a term of contempt. Isn't that great? The Yankees named themselves after an insult! It's like calling a team the Atlanta Rednecks or the L.A. Cokeheads! Iron that on you wife-beater. "

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Brad Pitt to get the girl or for Bill Gates to win the lotto. That's why I propose that those not born in 1 of the 5 New York boroughs must lose their pinstripes or be tossed into the East River with only Chuck Knoblauch to throw them a life preserver. "

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Press Coverage I'm surprised that you didn't mention the new Yankee motto: "If we can't beat you then we'll just have to buy you"

It makes sense that since 2004 they added Alan Embree, Mark Bellhorn, Mike Myers, and now Johnny Damon. I'm sensing a Kevin Millar signing any day now :lol:

PressCoverage
12-23-2005, 10:16 PM
4-5 guys from a team they called "idiots"...

does anyone honestly believe there is any semblance of (admittedly hate the term) chemistry in the New York clubhouse? i just don't see it... not that we'll have much either, now, but still... it's hard to fathom these guys even liking eachother... i'm still convinced Jeter and A-Rod don't care for eachother... but, that's just me, perhaps...

what was it that Jeter said a few years ago? ... "these aren't the great yankees of a few years ago..." or words to that effect..

Ray Finkle
12-23-2005, 11:51 PM
4-5 guys from a team they called "idiots"...

does anyone honestly believe there is any semblance of (admittedly hate the term) chemistry in the New York clubhouse? i just don't see it... not that we'll have much either, now, but still... it's hard to fathom these guys even liking eachother... i'm still convinced Jeter and A-Rod don't care for eachother... but, that's just me, perhaps...

what was it that Jeter said a few years ago? ... "these aren't the great yankees of a few years ago..." or words to that effect..

I think you're right about the Jeter comment it was very similar.

I do always agree with you that I don't think there is chemistry within the Yankee clubhouse. The major difference between the past few Yankee teams compared to the 1998-2001 teams is that they are loaded up with superstar players that just care about boosting stats where as the 1998-2001 Yankees were role players and very gutsy players that played the game right and hard every single day. Their wasn't an MVP candidate on the team yet they were perhaps some of the best teams in the history of baseball. I think that once the Yankees started to age with the O'Neils, Brousis and Cones that Steinberner panicked and just threw tons of money at these superstar players that in my opinion don't care about winning more than they care about their own personal stats.

FaninPatsyLand
12-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Ray, why even try talking with this guy. He's the biggest Yankee homer on the board..

A month ago he was ripping Damon saying that any team that gave him 4 years was "stupid", but now that he's got a haircut and shaved, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Remember, your trying to talk sense into someone who called Dontrelle Willis a "back end of the rotation starter, nothing more" and "average".

It's hopeless.

Roman529
12-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Johnny new's do: