PDA

View Full Version : Amp'd Mobile -- New Cell Phone Provider

mor911
12-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Well... As much as the Mor hates saying this, he needs a new cell phone. The cell phone the Mor currently uses (Nokia 6225i) life is running out. The Mor understands that his cell phone has brought countless videos to the familia at Finheaven, but it needs to be replaced.

With that, The Mor has also decided that he is no longer happy with his cell phone provider. While this provider offers very affordable service here in South Florida, it isn't very reliable when it comes to service.

-- Shopping Time --

Like any other moron, The Mor began going through wireless provider's websites looking for a cool phone and plan that will suit The Mor's complicated needs. The Mor thinks he's got it.

There is a new cell phone provider call Amp'd mobile. The Mor actually stumbled on to them from an ad on gamespot.com. This place has a perfect phone that has video, pics, audio, and much more. The price seems fine, and they use Verizon's network infrastructure from the research The Mor's done says.

-- Question --

It's new so maybe not. But has anyone experienced this cell phone service? Heard about it? Got a friend? The phones, features, plans, and options all look great, The Mor just wants first hand experience before buying this thing.

Thanks people.

Check 'em out:
http://ampdmobile.com (http://ampdmobile.com/)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Firesole
12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
From the ads I've seen on TV, I don't even think it is up and running yet. That being said, I'm not sure I would try it just for the fact that it is brand new, and coverage may not be very good in alot of areas until they build up a repoir (sp?) with other carriers. You see most carriers have to work deals with others in order to use their towers, thus expanding coverage.

Mindwarp
12-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Check 'em out:
http://ampdonline.com

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Teh Link takes me to a squatters site

mor911
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Ooops! The Mor put the wrong link in.

http://ampdmobile.com

-- Updated and edited the original post :D --

Mindwarp
12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
i'd go with sprint its who i switched to. http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/servicePlansOptionsV2/FreeClearFairFlexiblePlans.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1436777&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1135202672034

Agent51
12-21-2005, 06:58 PM
i'd go with sprint its who i switched to.

Yea I highly reccomend Sprint Also. I have had Cingular (before the merger with AT&T), AT&T (before they merged with cingular), and T-Mobile, all were bad (T-Mobile being the best) compared to Sprint, which I have had for about 3 years now. I have service EVERYWHERE with sprint, even in dead spots for other carriers, and the service seems even more reliable than it already was since the merger with Nextel. I live near LA for half the year and in Hawai'i for the other half and Sprint has been the best in both places. I'm not sure about there in Florida (lived there for 3 months but it was when I was younger, before I had a celly) but out here the service is perfect.

Oh and Firesole, just for future reference, it's spelled rapport, if you meant the "r" word that means having a good relationship.

Firesole
12-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Sprint may be good on the west coast, but it absolutely sucks on the east coast. The best carrier for coverage on the east coast is Cingular by far. And now they have PTT service as well, if you were thinking of Nextel.

Yeah, I'm biased. My wife works for Cingular (who bought At&T Wireless, but was just recently bought by AT&T. So pretty soon Cingular will be AT&T...again)

byroan
12-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I hardly ever had service here with Cingular. I switched to Alltel and get service everywhere.

saves
12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Cingular here. Works fine for the most part. A ton better than Sprint in this area. I wouldn't trust any carrier by the name of Amp'd, were the founded by mountain dew?

spydertl79
12-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Nextel has the best service in the Tampa area.

backpacker
12-21-2005, 08:49 PM
VZW rocks my socks.

FinHeathen
12-21-2005, 09:49 PM
All of the above are too high-class for a dirty manwhore such as The Mor. I would suggest MetroPCS or pre-paid.

NaboCane
12-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Mor, how much cheaper is it? If you're not saving at least 20% over Verizon, I'd think real hard about going to a third-party reseller. In the end, those guys are gypsies, and they don't have any commitment to the customer other than taking money. Put it this way: if they were serious, they build a freakin network.

Also I couldn't tell what brand the handset is, but pay attention to that; if it isn't one of the big two - Nokia or Motorola - again, think hard before you jump. Nokia and Motorola have a reputation for quality handsets, a reputation they're not eager to lose. They use quality housings, articulation points and electronics. The rest don't, it's that simple. Especially Sanyo, they're very popular right now because of the price point, but they suck.

The exception is Sony-Ericsson, which makes a good handset - except the reception usually is poorer than the others. I don't know why, but they can't figure that out. That, plus it works crappy with bluetooth.

Verizon is a good outfit, and that EVDO is attractive as hell. Also consider that the Cingular network there is the former BellSouth and ATT networks combined, so it been around for a while and they have a lot of coverage. Don't judge by the fringes, everyone has spotty coverage there because the usage doesn't demand it. If you live, work and play in the city, the big two are the way to go. Cingular also just rolled out their version of EVDO, so the programs similar; and they have push-to-talk now too.

Sprint sucks ***. I ate a $250 phone once just to get out from under a contract with them. In the year that I had them, I had to call customer service at least once a month, and I never spent less than 40 minutes on a call with them - not exaggerating.

Choose wisely, because it'll be a 2-year commitment. One advantage of Cingular is they will let you try a handset for 30 days and if you're not thrilled, you can take it back and end the contract. No one else does that.

Good luck, feel free to PM me anytime if you need more help.

NaboCane
12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
All of the above are too high-class for a dirty manwhore such as The Mor. I would suggest MetroPCS or pre-paid.

:monkeyr:metro pcs:monkeyl:

Agent51
12-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Sprint may be good on the west coast, but it absolutely sucks on the east coast. The best carrier for coverage on the east coast is Cingular by far. And now they have PTT service as well, if you were thinking of Nextel.

Like I said, When I did live on the east coast Sprint wasn't really established there yet and I had cingular and it was WRETCHED. And I HATE that ANNOYING direct-connect CRAP that Nextel started and everyone is copying. My GOD it is so annoying! That little beepy sound drives me nuts, and I can't believe some of the convos people have over the two-way. I personally don't care about the things they say but I'm sure others do and don't wanna hear thie rfull convo, from both ends. It's bad enough you have to listen to one end of celly convos all the time. I don't have a problem with it usually unless it's in a resturant or someplace and the person is being all loud and obnoxious. It is a bit more annoying when you have to listen to both sides of them though. That being said, they are fun to screw with your friends on. My friend had gone into the library to drop off some books he needed for a term paper and when he went in our other friend with Nextel beeped him and then goes "Hey Ryan, you get that nasty, puss-filled itchy rash on your balls checked out yet?". It was CLASSIC because the ENTIRE silent library heard it AND this chick he had a crush on since freshman year in college was there.

Nextel has the best service in the Tampa area.

Well Nextel merged with Sprint so I believe they are using the same network now, so they should both be equally good in terms of service.

Also I couldn't tell what brand the handset is, but pay attention to that; if it isn't one of the big two - Nokia or Motorola - again, think hard before you jump. Nokia and Motorola have a reputation for quality handsets, a reputation they're not eager to lose. They use quality housings, articulation points and electronics. The rest don't, it's that simple. Especially Sanyo, they're very popular right now because of the price point, but they suck.

The exception is Sony-Ericsson, which makes a good handset - except the reception usually is poorer than the others. I don't know why, but they can't figure that out. That, plus it works crappy with bluetooth..............

.............Sprint sucks ***. I ate a $250 phone once just to get out from under a contract with them. In the year that I had them, I had to call customer service at least once a month, and I never spent less than 40 minutes on a call with them - not exaggerating.

I have owned Nokias and Motorolas and I have to say I'm not impressed with either. It's in what you look for in a phone. I had 2 different Nokias when I was with T-Mobile, plus I had one of the older models when I first signed with AT&T (before the cingular merge) that wasn't even color (lol) and I didn't like any of them. First off, I don't like non-flip phones. Second, I text a lot, and TMing on Nokias is just plain horrible compared to other brands. Thirdly, It seems that every single nokia is the same. The menus and everything, even the phone and buttons, all seem to look the same or very damn close since the non color "green" screen nokias up to the most recent ones. Plus they are too "boxy" looking for my liking, I like my phones to be "sleak" looking, lol. As for Motorola, I just never liked them period. I had one of them when I had cingular and I just didn't like it. This is just a personal opinion of mine, and in their defense they are very well built phones, especially the nokias. I have beaten the CRAP out of some of my nokias and the still worked fine.

I hear ya on the Sanyos, a few of my friends have em and they are all cheesy, flimsy, don't function properly, or all of the above.

Lately I have been a Samsun man myself. The first phone I got with Sprint was the Samsung a500. It was a pretty good phone, I liked it, but it was also one of the first phones out when Sprint was getting established in my area so the service was iffy at first. Also, with that phone and sprint's early network the text messages were called "shortmail" and you had to connect to the internet to read them, and it was VERY poorly done and annoying. Anytime you didn't have good service you couldn't connect, thus couldn't read texts. It got old quick. I then switched to T-Mobile for awhile because they had better service at the time but I eventually switched back to Sprint once they got their stuff together. I got the Samsung VM-A680 which was a pretty sweet little phone. Digi Cam, camcorder etc etc, plus it was cool cuz the outside turned to a mirror when the backlight wasn't on. Completely useless feature, especially for a dude, but it was pretty cool looking. Then just like 2 weeks ago I upgraded to the Samsung MM-A940 ad it is the sickest phone I have ever seen. It's a little "boxy" for my liking but the coolness and features MORE than make up for it. Its got camcorder, digi cam, MP3 playback, MP3 ringers, and the camcorder lense is mounted in the side and the flip top not only flips open but you can rotate it so it acts like the LCD screen on actual camcorders. It is just such a bada$$ phone, I'm super happy with it and have been super happy with all my Samsungs. Text messaging on them is also the best f any brand phone I have ever owned. It's the quickest and most efficient letter/numerical setup I have ever used. It's the fastested besides the T-Mobile sidekick, which I'm sorry, but for a dude is COMPLETELY gay.

inFINSible
12-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I just got a new LG VX8100.....it's got video(although, it only takes 15 second clips), camera, MP3 player, and all the other crap....it's my third LG and I'd buy another one after this one....I've had Verizon since they took over PrimeCo (about8 years now) and I wouldn't change it for the world....Sorry, Joe. :)

HelenaBucket
12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
I had Sprint while living in NY and CT - and HATED it. Had more signal drop, missed calls, late delivered (sometimes several days) voice mails than I care to think of. Customer service was always a nightmare...they do nothing for customer retention, despite that I had been with them far too long as it was. Been with Verizon the past year or so, much better.

GreenMonster
12-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I have Sprint and love my new PPC-6700.. Probably the coolest thing I have ever owned, you haven't lived until you can watch live football games from your phone in the line at the grocery store. Those Amped phones are pretty sweet looking, I had read a good bit about them at endgadget.com..

SA_BUTTA
12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I use cingular myself and have had better service than sprint. Sprints Customer service sucks. Im not really familiar with this new ampd service but Id be careful of them at first.

GreenMonster
12-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I use cingular myself and have had better service than sprint. Sprints Customer service sucks. Im not really familiar with this new ampd service but Id be careful of them at first.

Although I have never had a problem with Sprint (7yrs strong), others that have used Sprint all agree the Customer Service sux. The people on the phone are awful, and the people that work in the stores are worse. I know much more about Sprint phones than 80% that work there. I went looking for my phone a couple of weeks ago and guy in Sprint store says I will never get one before Christmas. Got one at Fry's the next day. Sprint has the best phones, and service area, but if you must talk to Customer Service quite a bit I don't recommend Sprint.

NJFINSFAN1
12-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I had Sprint while living in NY and CT - and HATED it. Had more signal drop, missed calls, late delivered (sometimes several days) voice mails than I care to think of. Customer service was always a nightmare...they do nothing for customer retention, despite that I had been with them far too long as it was. Been with Verizon the past year or so, much better.

Verizon is the best in our parts signal wise!

WharfRat
12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Verizon is the best in our parts signal wise!

:yeahthat: