PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Hockey Olympic Team

THOMAS_54
12-21-2005, 06:44 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8747&hubname=

Joe Sakic will be the captain.

CanadaPhinsFan
12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it lol. I'm kind of surprised they left Crosby and especially Phaneuf off the roster.

Here's the team:

Goaltenders:
Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que.
Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Que.
Marty Turco, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

Defencemen:
Rob Blake, Simcoe, Ont.
Adam Foote, Whitby, Ont.
Ed Jovanovski Windsor, Ont.
Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C.
Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont.
Wade Redden, Lloydminster, Sask.
Robyn Regehr, Rosthern, Sask.

Forwards:
Todd Bertuzzi, Sudbury, Ont.
Shane Doan, Halkirk, Alta.
Kris Draper, Toronto, Ont.
Simon Gagne, Ste-Foy, Que
Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta.
Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta.
Vincent Lecavalier, Ile Bizard, Que.
Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont.
Brad Richards, Murray Harbour, P.E.I.
Joe Sakic, Burnaby, B.C.
Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta.
Martin St. Louis, Laval, Que.
Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont.

THOMAS_54
12-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it lol. I'm kind of surprised they left Crosby and especially Phaneuf off the roster.

Here's the team:

Goaltenders:

Defencemen:
Rob Blake, Simcoe, Ont.
Adam Foote, Whitby, Ont.

Forwards:
Joe Sakic, Burnaby, B.C.
Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta.
they basically said that they wanted experience. i still think richards and doan shouldn't of made it.

unifiedtheory
12-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I've got some issues with the team but not many.

Goaltenders:
No issues with the goaltending at all. It's a strength.

Defencemen:
Rob Blake, Simcoe, Ont.
Adam Foote, Whitby, Ont.
The defense is where I have a few problems. All are deserving accept Adam Foote. He's been the good warrior for Canada for a long time but seeing him in action a few times this year he does'nt have the foot speed anymore. Other then that I have no issues.

The MAIN issue I have with the defense is Bryan McCabe being named to the "taxi squad". The ONLY reason he was is because of Pat Quinn. I don't care what his numbers are. He is getting fat on the power play. Five on five he's not even the best defensman on his team.

Dion Phaneuf should have been the "taxi squad" defenseman. the guy will be the anchor of the Canadian defense in 2010, they should have let him go to get his feet wet this year as the 8th guy.

Forwards:
Joe Sakic, Burnaby, B.C.
Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta.
The "taxi squad" is Eric Staal and Jason Spezza.

I have mulitple issues with the forwards.

Shayne Doan: WHY? I know Gretz loves his role players (penalty killers etc.) but Doan has had a dreadful year. With the amount of talent Canada has at forward I can't justify why Doan is on this team.

Kris Draper: Again, Gretz loves his role players but this is not a regualar tournament. Draper is there to check and kill penalties. Well, Gagne, Heatley, Iginla, Richards and Sakic ALL kill penalties for their club teams. Why bring a guy for that purpose when you already have 5 of them?

Rick Nash: I have no arguement about what he COULD and CAN be. The guy is dominant...when healthy. The issue is the guy has barely played all year and got dinged up again last night.

Ryan Smyth: I don't care if the guy has "always been there for Canada when we needed him to play". When you have guys like Spezza, Crosby, Staal and Marleau you DON'T take Ryan Smyth because he's a "proud Canadian".

Anticipated lines (from my point of view)

1st: Sakic, Iginla and Gagne - They've played together as a line in the World Cup and Olympics and showed great chemistry.

2nd: Thornton, Bertuzzi and Heatley (or Nash if healthy): Power forwards galore. Crash, bang and score. Should be fun to watch any combo of these 4 players playing together. Makes me glad I don't play defense.

3rd: Richards, LeCavalier and St. Louis: Chemistry won't be a problem.

4th: Draper, Doan and Smyth: Kill penalties, take a few shifts a period and don't let the other team score.

I don't mind this team although I would have liked to have seen some younger players (Crosby, Staal, Spezza and Phaneuf) make the team.

Crisis
12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Wooo! Staal over Crosby!

(even as a reserve)

unifiedtheory
12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Wooo! Staal over Crosby!

(even as a reserve)

League leader in goals.

Crisis
12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
League leader in goals.

I know, Staal deserves it WAY more than Crosby IMO!

Glad that he got the spot over him.

wpgfishfan
12-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Wish we had more of the young guns as I agree with almost everything UT said except I am happy about Nash. Last year at the world championships him and your boy Thornton were dominant

THOMAS_54
12-21-2005, 10:25 PM
The biggest surprise to me was Turco over Joseph for two reasons
1: Gretzky, He's the only reason Doan is on, I thought he'd favour Joseph too.
2: Team Canada clearly favours experience over more talented youth.

Pink_Dove
12-22-2005, 12:30 AM
The biggest surprise to me was Turco over Joseph for two reasons
1: Gretzky, He's the only reason Doan is on, I thought he'd favour Joseph too.
2: Team Canada clearly favours experience over more talented youth.

Actually, a radio host I was listening to today brought up a good point. If you put Cujo and Doan on the team, you just know somebody would've brought up the favourtism card.
Personally, I think Turco's had a better year than not only Cujo but Brodeur and Luongo so I'm all for it. It'll be interesting to see how much of a leash they put on Brodeur as the number 1. Last time around, they yanked Cujo after 1, my guess is they'll give Brodeur 2 games and if he falls of the face of the earth they'll put Luongo or Turco in.

dominizzo
12-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Dion Phaneuf should of been there and Sid the Kid also

PeaTearGriffin
12-22-2005, 02:48 AM
yeah crosby, staal, spezza, and phaneuf should all be on the main roster not the "taxi squad"

THOMAS_54
12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
yeah crosby, staal, spezza, and phaneuf should all be on the main roster not the "taxi squad"Which 3 fowards and defencemen would you put on them.

PeaTearGriffin
12-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Which 3 fowards and defencemen would you put on them.

im guessing you mean which would i take off for them?? for phanuef i would switch him for foote, and for the forwards i would take any of those 3 over: doan, draper, smyth, bertuzzi. Even Nash hes been out the whole year and even though hes played the last 3 games and has a goal in each i still think they should of gone with the others

unifiedtheory
12-22-2005, 03:04 PM
im guessing you mean which would i take off for them?? for phanuef i would switch him for foote, and for the forwards i would take any of those 3 over: doan, draper, smyth, bertuzzi. Even Nash hes been out the whole year and even though hes played the last 3 games and has a goal in each i still think they should of gone with the others

I had an issue with Doan, Draper and Smyth as well. After a day to think about it, I have no issue with it any longer.

The fourth line (Doan, Draper and Smyth) will play MAYBE 10 minutes a game, alllowing the top three lines more ice time. They also know their roles, they won't gripe about getting only 10 minutes a game. The only issue I have with these three now is Doan should have been replaced by John Madden.

As for Bertuzzi you obviously don't watch the Canucks a whole lot. The guy has been DOMINANT for the last month. He's rounding into form and when he is playing like he can he is one of the best 10 forwards in the World. I have no issue with him going...the guy is a nightmare to deal with when he is on his game.

I agree with you on Nash. The guy is, when healthy, a GREAT young player. The issue is he has'nt been healthy all year but that is why there is a taxi squad. If he plays and is healthy he'll team with Joe Thornton and either Bertuzzi or Heatley to make up a very good line.

I would have taken Dion Phanuef over Adam Foote as well.

PeaTearGriffin
12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
As for Bertuzzi you obviously don't watch the Canucks a whole lot. The guy has been DOMINANT for the last month. He's rounding into form and when he is playing like he can he is one of the best 10 forwards in the World. I have no issue with him going...the guy is a nightmare to deal with when he is on his game.

you're right ive only watched about 3 canucks games, and more of me saying that was from hear say(i read an article not to long ago about him struggling). I agree though when he is playing on the top of his game he is one of the best i just thought he wasn't.

Roman529
12-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Team USA is gonna beat Canada!!! Mais Oui!! :D

Slappy8800
12-23-2005, 04:16 AM
sweden is taking the gold,czech silver, canada bronze

Slappy8800
12-23-2005, 04:26 AM
kipper pulled out of the olympics

unifiedtheory
12-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Just thought I'd let you guys know....Canada will win GOLD...on this topic I am a flag waving homer from hell.

The Czech's scare me although their defense is a little thin.

The Swed's always have goalie meltdowns and they are thin on defense.

The Finn's are very thin up front and their defense does'nt scare anyone.

The Russian's will implode like usual.

The American's are a little small up front and no one knows if DePietro can carry the team to the medal round.

The only weakness on the Canadian team is the defense. Blake is not what he used to be and Adam Foote does'nt have the wheels to move around the big ice anymore.

When your only weakness is Rob Blake (because I suspect by the end of the tourney Foote will be in the pressbox) I think you're in pretty good shape.

Slappy8800
12-23-2005, 06:32 AM
from the looks of it, 2/3 of Canada's goalies are a weakness

anyway Sweden has HENRIK!!!! king Henrik will reign supreme!

GO RANGERS!!!!

aAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

THOMAS_54
12-23-2005, 01:04 PM

GO RANGERS!!!!

aAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:sidelol: I find that quite amussing

unifiedtheory
12-23-2005, 03:04 PM

GO RANGERS!!!!

Broduer will be just fine and Luongo has been coming on lately.

If they don't work out we'll have to throw in Marty Turco...not a bad third stringer.;)

Slappy8800
12-23-2005, 07:59 PM
i apologize i was little hyped still from our win last night

QB2RonnieTD23
12-24-2005, 10:02 AM

GO RANGERS!!!!

I cant consider Marty Brodeur a weakness, especially since he's average play in New Jersey is a result of the Devils poor surrounding cast more than it is Brodeur himself. I dont know if Canada wins the gold, they always have found a way to screw it up (except 2002 of course), the Czech's look strong and Russia is always solid, and who knows what team USA can pull. We'll see....they certainly are the favorites but i dont know.

THOMAS_54
12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
i apologize i was little hyped still from our win last nightNo problem. I'd be excited to if my team was finally doing good.

wazzy
12-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I've got some issues with the team but not many.

Goaltenders:
No issues with the goaltending at all. It's a strength.

Defencemen:
Rob Blake, Simcoe, Ont.
Adam Foote, Whitby, Ont.
The defense is where I have a few problems. All are deserving accept Adam Foote. He's been the good warrior for Canada for a long time but seeing him in action a few times this year he does'nt have the foot speed anymore. Other then that I have no issues.

The MAIN issue I have with the defense is Bryan McCabe being named to the "taxi squad". The ONLY reason he was is because of Pat Quinn. I don't care what his numbers are. He is getting fat on the power play. Five on five he's not even the best defensman on his team.

Dion Phaneuf should have been the "taxi squad" defenseman. the guy will be the anchor of the Canadian defense in 2010, they should have let him go to get his feet wet this year as the 8th guy.

Forwards:
Joe Sakic, Burnaby, B.C.
Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta.
The "taxi squad" is Eric Staal and Jason Spezza.

I have mulitple issues with the forwards.

Shayne Doan: WHY? I know Gretz loves his role players (penalty killers etc.) but Doan has had a dreadful year. With the amount of talent Canada has at forward I can't justify why Doan is on this team.

Kris Draper: Again, Gretz loves his role players but this is not a regualar tournament. Draper is there to check and kill penalties. Well, Gagne, Heatley, Iginla, Richards and Sakic ALL kill penalties for their club teams. Why bring a guy for that purpose when you already have 5 of them?

Rick Nash: I have no arguement about what he COULD and CAN be. The guy is dominant...when healthy. The issue is the guy has barely played all year and got dinged up again last night.

Ryan Smyth: I don't care if the guy has "always been there for Canada when we needed him to play". When you have guys like Spezza, Crosby, Staal and Marleau you DON'T take Ryan Smyth because he's a "proud Canadian".

Anticipated lines (from my point of view)

1st: Sakic, Iginla and Gagne - They've played together as a line in the World Cup and Olympics and showed great chemistry.

2nd: Thornton, Bertuzzi and Heatley (or Nash if healthy): Power forwards galore. Crash, bang and score. Should be fun to watch any combo of these 4 players playing together. Makes me glad I don't play defense.

3rd: Richards, LeCavalier and St. Louis: Chemistry won't be a problem.

4th: Draper, Doan and Smyth: Kill penalties, take a few shifts a period and don't let the other team score.

I don't mind this team although I would have liked to have seen some younger players (Crosby, Staal, Spezza and Phaneuf) make the team.

I agree with a lot of your post but I think we took expierence now and were going to work the young guys in for the next few years during the World Championships. The only players that I think was a good decision on making the squad that you disagree on is McCabe I think he should have Footes spot and we should have Phaneuf in the taxi squad. Even though Phaneuf is young we have enough expierence at Defense for him to slide in smoothly without a problem if someone goes down. I also think Nash is a good choice even if he does get hurt you have a great player coming off the taxi squad so I don't mind the risk there taking. Everything else youe mentioned seems good and right to me nice post!

wazzy
12-24-2005, 12:31 PM

GO RANGERS!!!!

That was a pretty dumb comment slappy and you usually write some smart things about hockey!

Slappy8800
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
listen the stats dont lie, Marty and Luongo are having subpar years. For years MArty has been criticized for being considred a great goalie because of the D in NJ that only allowed him to see 15 shots a night. For awhile i didnt beleive it, but with these new rules and the devils not able to play their usual D, and losing their 2 best D men, im wondering if those people were on to something. Of course a goalie is only as good as the D in front of them so who knows what the olympics will look like. Will the refs call the game the same way? they claim to but who knows. But as of right now, id start Turco over Luongo and Brodeur. The olympics are still over a month away so who knows what will happen by then. My opinion could change, im just in favor of playing the hott hand.

KTownsDolphins
12-25-2005, 02:42 AM
The Czechs have the best chance of winning because they have the best goaltending duo in Vokoun and Hasek.

In a single elimantion playoff format I don't care how good your team is, if you run into a hot goalie, the tourny is done for your team.

Just ask the Czechs in the 2004 World Cup when they oud shot the Canadians like 40 to 24 and still lost the game. Canada had no business winning that semifinal but Luongo sealed the deal.