PDA

View Full Version : Gators building top recruiting class in the nation.

YPF
12-21-2005, 10:43 PM
In what could potentially be the crown jewel in the nation's top recruiting class, Florida grabbed a commitment from the nation's No. 1 player, Percy Harvin of Virginia Beach Landstown on Monday.

Rivals.com
Percy Harvin is the crown jewel of Florida's outstanding class.
Harvin, who committed along with teammate Damon McDaniel, the nation's No. 60 overall player, chose Florida ahead of two-time defending national champion Southern California.

Last week they grabbed top rated QB Tim Tebow and they are still in the running for several other five star rated players.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

:D Go Gators.

Motion
12-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Go Gators indeed. :D

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=114482

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=114683

YPF
12-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Go Gators indeed. :D

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=114482

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=114683

Sorry.I was so excited I didnt see the other threads.Its a great time to be a Gator.Meyer is a hell of a recruiter.Imagine we go 8 and 3 and still have the top class.

Motion
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Sorry.I was so excited I didnt see the other threads.Its a great time to be a Gator.Meyer is a hell of a recruiter.Imagine we go 8 and 3 and still have the top class.

Its all good. It is a great time to be a Gator!

NorthFloridaFin
12-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Didn't "The Great Ron Zook" put up great recruiting classes also. We see where that took them.

SMadison29
12-22-2005, 12:28 AM
:nana:

kastofsna120
12-22-2005, 03:15 AM
wannstedt is having a great recruiting year, too. i'm sure there's a championship on the horizon

YPF
12-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Didn't "The Great Ron Zook" put up great recruiting classes also. We see where that took them.

Most Gators were unhappy when he was chosen to replace Spurrier.He was the third choice.I never remember anyone refer to him as Great.

He was a good recruiter but a poor coach.Meyer is a better recruiter and a great coach.

What more can you ask for than to beat your three biggest rivals all of whom were ranked ahead of us in the same year.

And we didnt lose any games in the swamp.

Motion
12-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Most Gators were unhappy when he was chosen to replace Spurrier.He was the third choice.I never remember anyone refer to him as Great.

He was a good recruiter but a poor coach.Meyer is a better recruiter and a great coach.

What more can you ask for than to beat your three biggest rivals all of whom were ranked ahead of us in the same year.

And we didnt lose any games in the swamp.

Exactly. There will always be haters out there. :tongue:

Oboy
12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Exactly. There will always be haters out there. :tongue:
The easier way is just to save this thread and remind the "haters" about IF/when the gators do win a title.

That being said this recruiting class Meyer is getting is outstanding. IF you follow Meyer his first year at a new school is usually decent, but not great. Then his second year he makes big strides. So by history... this COULD be the year that "it is great to be a FLORIDA GATOR". :D

Motion
12-22-2005, 12:03 PM
The easier way is just to save this thread and remind the "haters" about IF/when the gators do win a title.

That being said this recruiting class Meyer is getting is outstanding. IF you follow Meyer his first year at a new school is usually decent, but not great. Then his second year he makes big strides. So by history... this COULD be the year that "it is great to be a FLORIDA GATOR". :D

Yeah, but then they'd say how many titles do you have total? Its all good, there will always be stiff competition between the Florida schools and their fans. Thats what makes it good. Not to mention Florida plays in the tougher conference! :tongue:

Cuban Dave 9
12-22-2005, 02:40 PM

AMEN!

Alex44
12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
UF is a team I respect greatly and my second favorite team

however imo UM will always be the better florida team

or at least for a while longer

Motion
12-22-2005, 02:57 PM

As of right now, yeah. But once Tebow gets comfortable with the offense and all the weapons he'll have, LOOK OUT!

YPF
12-22-2005, 02:58 PM

Its a strange thing.Hurricane fans always look to the Gators as one of the their most hated rivals.

On the other hands Gators dont consider the Hurricanes to be one of their rivals.We have many other teams we would rather beat.

In fact I like the Hurricanes to win except when they play the Gators .
Its different with FSU.We do hate that stinking girls college.

:lol:

Alex44
12-22-2005, 02:58 PM
As of right now, yeah. But once Tebow gets comfortable with the offense and all the weapons he'll have, LOOK OUT!

Personally Id love to see a Miami vs Florida national championship game

Miami always has a great defense

Florida will have a great offense

Miami will have a good offense

Florida will have a good defense

It matches up pretty well

Motion
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Its a strange thing.Hurricane fans always look to the Gators as one of the their most hated rivals.

On the other hands Gators dont consider the Hurricanes to be one of their rivals.We have many other teams we would rather beat.

In fact I like the Hurricanes to win except when they play the Gators .
Its different with FSU.We do hate that stinking girls college.

:lol:

I agree. For me its Tennessee, I just plain hate them. Georgia is looked at as a big rivalry, but we own them. South Carolina could become a good one too. Then of course the Criminoles.

YPF
12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
I agree. For me its Tennessee, I just plain hate them. Georgia is looked at as a big rivalry, but we own them. South Carolina could become a good one too. Then of course the Criminoles.

I hate the Criminoles.Bowden had an expression on his face as though he was thinking about retiring after the beating they got.
:D

kastofsna120
12-22-2005, 05:58 PM
right now i'm sure the only thing bowden is thinking about is the ORANGE BOWL

YPF
12-22-2005, 11:57 PM

Its better to be lucky than good. :lol:

Mike13
12-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Go Gators they will be in the BCS next year!

Cuban Dave 9
12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
The Orange Metamucil Bowl that is...old friggin *******s

kastofsna120
12-23-2005, 12:01 PM
The Orange Metamucil Bowl that is...old friggin *******s
pretty ironic as florida state is starting more freshmen than anyone in the country

Kobe
12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Miami will be back in full strength again next year, this 2 loss season is another rebuilding year :tongue:

I have no problem with the Gators, they are probably my third favorite team behind Miami and Texas (because Earl Campbell is like my second favorite player ever)

I might actually end up going to UF because I cant afford Miami :lol:

YPF
01-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Bears rookie first-round draft pick Cedric Benson, who reported late because of a contract dispute and then missed much of the season because of injuries, says he plans to take time off to get away from football. The most important thing right now is to kind of relax and totally not even think about football … kind of escape from it.

Enjoy your bonus money Are there any Benson banwaggoners still around ?

PassRush
01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Bears rookie first-round draft pick Cedric Benson, who reported late because of a contract dispute and then missed much of the season because of injuries, says he plans to take time off to get away from football. The most important thing right now is to kind of relax and totally not even think about football … kind of escape from it.

I will own up to it, I was all about Cedric Benson before the draft. Apparently I was wrong.

His Dudeness
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
looks like he's taking a page out of Ricky Williams book....and i thought he was trying to detach himself from that!

stupid pick for the bears, Thomas Jones is good..... they could have used a corner on sunday.... Antrel Rolle?

BlueFin
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Dominizzo

finsruleurlife
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Yea, he was my prediction for the Dolphins

THANK GOD WE DIDNT TAKE HIM

:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

feelthepain
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
looks like he's taking a page out of Ricky Williams book....and i thought he was trying to detach himself from that!

stupid pick for the bears, Thomas Jones is good..... they could have used a corner on sunday.... Antrel Rolle?

Shouldn't Beson do something in the NFL before you compair him to Ricky?? Ricky quit because he was the most overused RB in the NFL ever over a two year period. Benson han't even played half a season yet.

tylerdolphin
01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
I wanted benson over Ronnie back in the day...LOL
Guess I can be wrong sometimes ;)

dominizzo
01-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Dominizzo

I know my bad I guess Benson doesnt care bout football like Someone said they should of got a WR or Cb in draft

steeda
01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Funny reading this because i remember last april on the cover of espn magazine, it had a picture of benson right on the front, with text saying "Im not Ricky"

TotoreMexico
01-16-2006, 02:12 PM

Another Ricky Williams student?:confused:

YPF
01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Another Ricky Williams student?:confused:

At least Ricky proved he was worth the high draft pick.

DolphinDevil28
01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Neither Ronnie Brown nor Cadillac Williams would say something like that. Talk about making yourself a prime target for the fans to criticize.

Vertical Limit
01-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Cedric Benson received alot of grooming this year. With Thomas Jones as the starter, and Adrian Peterson as the backup running back, Cedric Benson didn't get the chance to prove what kind of running back he can be. So really, it is pretty unfair to rate him when WE have not seen anything from him.

I think he did start once this year (Jones was out with an injury). He got 75 yards for 14 carries. But then got an injury himself too, (ligament torn or high ankle sprain, I think).

Remember, Larry Johnson was a 3rd stringer for a while too (behind Priest Holmes and Blaylock). And he was picked in the 1st round around the top 3. He isn't too bad now, is he? :P

Anyways, that "take a break from football" must be a Texan thing to do, eh?

PressCoverage
01-16-2006, 05:22 PM
i'd say the jury is still out on Benson... let's hold off for now....

i will say that i don't like the mileage he took at Texas....

dol_fan_81
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I will own up to it, I was all about Cedric Benson before the draft. Apparently I was wrong.

nobody notices me much, but i too was for drafting benson. I'm so glad we didnt now though

HysterikiLL
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
If people are going to chew out Benson now, you're complete idiots. Benson was injured much of this season but played well when he played. He never caused controversey for his team during the season. And you don't think he put all his heart and energy into this season? He doesn't have a right to be tired, and wanting a break?

And maybe y'all are forgetting, Ronnie held out into camp aswell. :shakeno:

Roman529
01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Benson and Ricky Williams must have majored in the same thing at the U of Texas?...better hope Vince Young has more charachter. I am glad we picked Ronnie Brown over Benson.

tylerdolphin
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Cedric Benson received alot of grooming this year. With Thomas Jones as the starter, and Adrian Peterson as the backup running back, Cedric Benson didn't get the chance to prove what kind of running back he can be. So really, it is pretty unfair to rate him when WE have not seen anything from him.

I think he did start once this year (Jones was out with an injury). He got 75 yards for 14 carries. But then got an injury himself too, (ligament torn or high ankle sprain, I think).

Remember, Larry Johnson was a 3rd stringer for a while too (behind Priest Holmes and Blaylock). And he was picked in the 1st round around the top 3. He isn't too bad now, is he? :P

Anyways, that "take a break from football" must be a Texan thing to do, eh?
Larry Johnson was like the 30th pick I think

DolphinDevil28
01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
If people are going to chew out Benson now, you're complete idiots. Benson was injured much of this season but played well when he played. He never caused controversey for his team during the season. And you don't think he put all his heart and energy into this season? He doesn't have a right to be tired, and wanting a break?

And maybe y'all are forgetting, Ronnie held out into camp aswell. :shakeno:

What are you talking about?

I'm not "chewing" him out, nor criticizing his hold out. I'm saying you don't have too much upstairs to make a public statement like "I'm getting away from football for a while."

That's a grave mistake, especially when you have not proven anything and you play in Chicago. The fans aren't going to like it, and if he gets criticism, he brought it upon himself.

HysterikiLL
01-16-2006, 10:25 PM
What are you talking about?

I'm not "chewing" him out, nor criticizing his hold out. I'm saying you don't have too much upstairs to make a public statement like "I'm getting away from football for a while."

That's a grave mistake, especially when you have not proven anything and you play in Chicago. The fans aren't going to like it, and if he gets criticism, he brought it upon himself.

I see where your coming from. My post was more of a vent, and wasn't really directed at you anyway, mainly the poster of this thread.

finfansince72
01-17-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't understand the problem here. The guy was hurt most of the year, ineffective in little playing time, and played 2nd string to Jones all year. He says 'he needs to get away', so what? Whats the problem? It was a tough year for Benson, yea he got paid a bunch of cash, but he didnt get to play and his team just got eliminated from the playoffs and hes upset? WOW. Big deal. Some of you look for any reason to jump on players so that you will look like a genius in your own mind about who we picked or should have picked or why you were right that someone was a bust, etc. This whole thread is full of crap, Benson will be a good Rb in the league. His attitude isnt bad, he heldout and go hurt and Jones played well keeping him on the bench. Benson isn't a bust, and he isnt a headcase, some of you just have no sense whatsoever.
I wanted us to draft Williams but am happy we got Ronnie, I think Caddy, Ronnie and Cedric will all be really good backs for years to come.

SMadison29
01-17-2006, 03:31 AM
says he plans to take time off to get away from football. The most important thing right now is to kind of relax and totally not even think about football … kind of escape from it.

Sounds like he still looks up to Ricky.

Benson didn't get a chance to get on the field this year because Thomas Jones played very well, which he did last year also.

LtDan
01-17-2006, 06:52 AM

Anyways, that "take a break from football" must be a Texan thing to do, eh?BULL!! Being a top-5 pick, he would have started if he was mentally ready. You DON'T groom a top-5 running back!

YPF
01-26-2006, 07:09 PM
There's talk in league circles that Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith secretly is planning to fire coach Marty Schottenheimer after all head coaching vacancies are filled. The suspicion is that, after the Raiders make their hire (in April, perhaps) Smith will scuttle Schottenheimer and promote defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (after, or course, satisfying the Rooney Rule by interviewing James Lofton or Ted Cottrell or the cook from South Park).

From PFT.That would be a nasty way to fire a good coach.

Caps
01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe Saban could persuade Marty to come be his secretary or something.:lol:

SCall13
01-26-2006, 07:45 PM
There's talk in league circles that Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith secretly is planning to fire coach Marty Schottenheimer after all head coaching vacancies are filled. The suspicion is that, after the Raiders make their hire (in April, perhaps) Smith will scuttle Schottenheimer and promote defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (after, or course, satisfying the Rooney Rule by interviewing James Lofton or Ted Cottrell or the cook from South Park).

From PFT.That would be a nasty way to fire a good coach.

WOW. That would be lower than scum to do that. Marty is one of the most respected coaches in the NFL. Smith would be an idiot to pull this. You'd think that if that happened, no high profile coach would ever want to coach for San Diego.

FinFan72
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
:sidelol:

Basileus777
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
That would be a good mvoe for the chargers, which is why I hope they don't do that. Marty will has never and will never win the big game. A coach is useless if he can't win when it counts. The Chargers have alot of talent and it was poor coaching that held them back this year.

Roman529
01-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Marty-ball sucks.....what has he ever won? He always lost the big games in Cleveland and he can't win even with LT. I would have canned him long ago.

FinFan72
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
It would be a shame if they treated marty like that

RoKnRuiN
01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I would have to laugh. I have never liked Marty.

late again
01-26-2006, 11:09 PM
That would be a good mvoe for the chargers, which is why I hope they don't do that. Marty will has never and will never win the big game. A coach is useless if he can't win when it counts. The Chargers have alot of talent and it was poor coaching that held them back this year.

Kind of surprising to see a KC fan posting this. Marty was most likely the 2nd best coach you guys have ever had.

Basileus777
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Kind of surprising to see a KC fan posting this. Marty was most likely the 2nd best coach you guys have ever had.
Perhaps I am being too hard on him, but I do not miss Martyball. Marty did well for us, at least in the regular season. But he failed to win anything in the playoffs, which is what counts. Marty has become somewhat less conservative, which I think is due to the influence of Cam Cameron, but last years game against the Jets show he is still mostly the same. The Chargers were horrible inconsistent and underachieving this year, which usually is the result of coaching.

dm416
01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I seriously doubt that will happen, but if it does, it's just plain wrong

Fin Fan in Cali
01-27-2006, 12:46 AM

From PFT.That would be a nasty way to fire a good coach.This has been circulating right after the season that AJ was not happy with Marty, but said he is going to stay. I am right in the heart of Charger land here, and they are not reaaly high on Marty at all. Most of the fans want him gone, because as the KC fan said he hasn't done a lot with the talent they have here this year.

Majpain
01-27-2006, 12:46 AM

:dolphins:

Dolphin1184
01-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Perhaps I am being too hard on him, but I do not miss Martyball. Marty did well for us, at least in the regular season. But he failed to win anything in the playoffs, which is what counts. Marty has become somewhat less conservative, which I think is due to the influence of Cam Cameron, but last years game against the Jets show he is still mostly the same. The Chargers were horrible inconsistent and underachieving this year, which usually is the result of coaching.

He did manage to bring Joe Montana to your team. That must have been cool.

SMadison29
01-27-2006, 01:28 AM
This has been circulating right after the season that AJ was not happy with Marty, but said he is going to stay. I am right in the heart of Charger land here, and they are not reaaly high on Marty at all. Most of the fans want him gone, because as the KC fan said he hasn't done a lot with the talent they have here this year.

It's been known that AJ doesn't care too much for Marty. Hell he almost fired him last year after he won coach of the year.

unifiedtheory
01-27-2006, 02:02 AM
He may not like Marty but firing him to promote Big Fat Wade Phillips would be a step backwards.

Vertical Limit
01-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Oh, this doesn't surprise me at all. Dispite the fact from where the rumor/source is from.

Marty Shottenheimer had a pretty unsuccessfull season with the expectations the organization had on them. They did have the 2nd toughest schedule in the league.

Keep in mind of this:
- A.J. Smith drafted Phillip Rivers. He loved his draft choice. Drew Brees is a Free Agent, and Marty Shottenheimer is in love with Drew Brees. Keeping both QB's is pointless and freeing one of them will save some cap money.

Letting go of Marty and asking Drew Brees to look elsewhere could be the "gameplan" in San Diego.

finfansince72
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
San Diego is just a pisspoor franchise. They make the playoffs for what the first time in decades last year and now they want to take steps backwards with a new coach and/or Qb? Good luck, hope u can use those top 5 picks wisely SD. This is why teams like SD always stink.

FinFaninMS
01-27-2006, 11:51 AM
This is why teams like SD always stink.

You do remember San Diego in the Super Bowl in 95, don't you? And how they beat the Dolphins to get there?

A San Diego fan could just as easily call Miami a piss-poor franchise considering we haven't been to the Super Bowl in over twenty years, and haven't even made the playoffs since 2001.

burger13
01-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I think the timing of the move would have more to do with trying to screw Oakland (making sure that he isn't available for them), than trying to screw Marty.

Fin_Fanatic
01-27-2006, 08:39 PM
i remember when drew brees was garbage a couple years ago, so you wont see me blaming marty for not taking it to the house. they had a tough schedule this year and still did pretty good. cant hate on that.

Fin Fan in Cali
01-27-2006, 09:28 PM
It's been known that AJ doesn't care too much for Marty. Hell he almost fired him last year after he won coach of the year.I hear you bro, but there was an article in the North County Times a couple of weeks back, and AJ was on fire in the paper. I was surprised not to see Marty getting his walking papers. It had strong rumours floating around the NFL that it could happen. We shall see. They are still very pissed at Marty for telling Carl Mauck that he did a good job right after the season,a nd then two weeks later fired, because there was some things that they wanted to do, but the didn't. Carl only had one lineman start all 16 games for him. I think he was a skape goat.

myfins1
01-28-2006, 01:01 AM

Wouldn't that be hillarious if he was hired here. Nothing would surprise me. But why wait. That would be cruel.