PDA

View Full Version : New Mercury Milan

Dubfire
12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm in the market for a new car. As each day goes by I change my mind on what to get. Looking for something in the $18-$25k range as I'm trying to buy a house in the next 2 years also so I dont want to get too crazy.

This new Mercury Milan looks sweet!!

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/milan/

It's built on the Mazda 6 platform so it has good handling is supposed to be as sporty as it can get for a Mercury :lol: . I woulda never thought I'd be interested in buying a Mercury but the writeups on this have been good buy buyers and various magazines. I know it looks like a shinier version of the Ford Fusion, but this car really caught my eye when I saw it yesterday.

Cars I am currently seriosuly considering other than this:

VW Jetta
VW Passat
Scion TC
Acura RSX
Mazda 3 5-door

What do you guys think?

Buddwalk
12-22-2005, 07:02 PM
my moms got the 2000 le sable lol its like a boat :lol:

mor911
12-22-2005, 07:05 PM
You should look into this http://www.chrysler.com/300/

The Mor loves this car.

AirFishOne
12-22-2005, 07:09 PM
me like

HysterikiLL
12-22-2005, 07:13 PM
25 k anf you "don't want to go too crazy"!?!?!?!? :eek: SHOW ME THE MONEY

FinsNCanes
12-22-2005, 07:15 PM
You probably won't like it much but Dodge Neon SRT4 for right around 20 is a really good deal. Yeah..it's a neon but they're actually pretty quick (not sure if that matters to you) otherwise I'd look into something like a used is300 or something.

Philter25
12-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm in the market for a new car. As each day goes by I change my mind on what to get. Looking for something in the $18-$25k range as I'm trying to buy a house in the next 2 years also so I dont want to get too crazy.

It's built on the Mazda 6 platform so it has good handling is supposed to be as sporty as it can get for a Mercury :lol: . I woulda never thought I'd be interested in buying a Mercury but the writeups on this have been good buy buyers and various magazines. I know it looks like a shinier version of the Ford Fusion, but this car really caught my eye when I saw it yesterday.

VW Jetta
VW Passat
Scion TC
Acura RSX
Mazda 3 5-door

What do you guys think?

Are you looking for a 2 door or a 4 door? Your selection doesnt really narrow it down. Im not a big fan of the Jetta or Passat. Unless you get the V6, it really has trouble accellerating and if you take some turns at a good speed, you will see how much body roll and how poor the stock suspension is. The new Passat would be on the high end of your price spectrum.

The TC..... I really dont have a comment because it hasnt been out long enough and I havent taken it for a test drive.

The RSX-S is a great 2 seater sports car. The manual tranny is very responsive and its one of the better gearboxes I have ever driven. Stock, it handles great, accelerates great and all in all its a great deal for the price. Make sure you get the type S though... the base one is pretty blah.

The Mazda 3s 5 door is a GREAT deal for the money. Thats going to be on the lower end of your price range. The 3 handles great and the 3s accelerates pretty decently. Out of all the cars, this one has the least amount of hp but it makes up for it with handling. Other than the typeS, the mazda 3 should out handle all of these cars easily.

I havent driven a Milan but the only thing I can say is I NEVER EVER buy a first year production car. The bugs and kinks are never ever worked out. Most of the time the car has a handful of TSB's or maybe even a recall. Also, something the average american doesnt see is the computer, PCM, and transmission, TCM, programming are never perfected until the second or third year of production.

Another car to consider would be the Mazda6s 5 door. You would get the most HP out of the cars you are considering, it handles better than anything else you listed and its right in your price range. You can get a 2005 V6 6s for a little over 20k right now with rebates because the 2006's are in stock.

When you choose a car, GO TO THE ENTHUSIASTS WEBSITE for the car. Most of the guys on there will tell you exactly what they paid for their car and when they bought it and they will be able to tell you within 500 bucks what the best deal for the exact car you are looking at should cost you. Therefore when you go into the dealer you already know exactly the price the dealer has in his head and you can save the same amount of money.

Google Mazda 3 forums or mazda 6 forums or rsx forums and read what other people paid.

Pagan
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Have to agree with Philter on the Mazdas. Sweet driving cars that also look great. I'd go with those out of the list you posted, Dub.

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you looking for a 2 door or a 4 door? Your selection doesnt really narrow it down. Im not a big fan of the Jetta or Passat. Unless you get the V6, it really has trouble accellerating and if you take some turns at a good speed, you will see how much body roll and how poor the stock suspension is. The new Passat would be on the high end of your price spectrum.

The TC..... I really dont have a comment because it hasnt been out long enough and I havent taken it for a test drive.

The RSX-S is a great 2 seater sports car. The manual tranny is very responsive and its one of the better gearboxes I have ever driven. Stock, it handles great, accelerates great and all in all its a great deal for the price. Make sure you get the type S though... the base one is pretty blah.

The Mazda 3s 5 door is a GREAT deal for the money. Thats going to be on the lower end of your price range. The 3 handles great and the 3s accelerates pretty decently. Out of all the cars, this one has the least amount of hp but it makes up for it with handling. Other than the typeS, the mazda 3 should out handle all of these cars easily.

I havent driven a Milan but the only thing I can say is I NEVER EVER buy a first year production car. The bugs and kinks are never ever worked out. Most of the time the car has a handful of TSB's or maybe even a recall. Also, something the average american doesnt see is the computer, PCM, and transmission, TCM, programming are never perfected until the second or third year of production.

Another car to consider would be the Mazda6s 5 door. You would get the most HP out of the cars you are considering, it handles better than anything else you listed and its right in your price range. You can get a 2005 V6 6s for a little over 20k right now with rebates because the 2006's are in stock.

When you choose a car, GO TO THE ENTHUSIASTS WEBSITE for the car. Most of the guys on there will tell you exactly what they paid for their car and when they bought it and they will be able to tell you within 500 bucks what the best deal for the exact car you are looking at should cost you. Therefore when you go into the dealer you already know exactly the price the dealer has in his head and you can save the same amount of money.

Google Mazda 3 forums or mazda 6 forums or rsx forums and read what other people paid.

Wow Philter, just the type of response I was looking for. I agree with you say about the Milan though. 1st year cars can be a headache.

I change my mind on what I want every day. Some days I want a coupe and some days I want a sedan. I agree that the Mazda's have the best handling. I love the Mazda 3 5-door. Will look into the 2005 6's.

The tC I think is a nice value too. I have gone to one enthusiast site aand heard great things.

What's your take on the new Civic? Especially the Si.

Edit: I love the RSX Type-S, but I've never learned how to drive a stick :couch:

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 11:41 AM
You should look into this http://www.chrysler.com/300/

The Mor loves this car.

I love this car too mor, but I'm concerned about the gas mileage. Everytime I see one on the street though, I want one. I like the 300c. A little out of my price range though. If I do get one, the Bentley grille is going on it instantaneously!:lol:

GreenMonster
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Being a longtime Valet, I think you should go with the Scion C or the Mazda 3 or 6. The C is a little bit on the small side, but the price and everything else is right on. You get a good little bang for you buck there. If you need a 4 door, go with the Mazda, they look sweet, drive ok, and won't kill your quest for a new house.

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Being a longtime Valet, I think you should go with the Scion C or the Mazda 3 or 6. The C is a little bit on the small side, but the price and everything else is right on. You get a good little bang for you buck there. If you need a 4 door, go with the Mazda, they look sweet, drive ok, and won't kill your quest for a new house.

What really turned me on to the tC was the fact that it has the same exact engine as the Camry. tC = Toyota Camry? Pretty slick huh?

GreenMonster
12-23-2005, 12:08 PM
What really turned me on to the tC was the fact that it has the same exact engine as the Camry. tC = Toyota Camry? Pretty slick huh?

I personally love that car. It looks sweet, you can easily change a few things to the way you like. It gets good gas mileage and should last forever its a Toyota. It also comes in that Cobalt Grey color which is sick. If the size doesn't bother you (I hardly carry more than 1 other in my Civic), I think you will like it. It also won't kill your wallet, so you can save for a bigger TV and stereo for the new pad when you move in.

P.S. Dub you ever spin in the ATL, and what kind of music.?

Philter25
12-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Wow Philter, just the type of response I was looking for. I agree with you say about the Milan though. 1st year cars can be a headache.

I change my mind on what I want every day. Some days I want a coupe and some days I want a sedan. I agree that the Mazda's have the best handling. I love the Mazda 3 5-door. Will look into the 2005 6's.

The tC I think is a nice value too. I have gone to one enthusiast site aand heard great things.

What's your take on the new Civic? Especially the Si.

By new I assume you mean 2006. Im not sure if I really like the redesign of the SI. The internals are a good upgrade and the Civic is one of those few cars you can guarantee to run for 200k miles.... im just not sure about the look. For the price of the Civic SI, you could get a RSX which is a more "classier" car and has a little more hp.

GreenMonster
12-23-2005, 12:11 PM
By new I assume you mean 2006. Im not sure if I really like the redesign of the SI. The internals are a good upgrade and the Civic is one of those few cars you can guarantee to run for 200k miles.... im just not sure about the look. For the price of the Civic SI, you could get a RSX which is a more "classier" car and has a little more hp.

I totally agree, if I was gonna spend that much cash on a SI, I would just look into a RSX. For what is worth my 01' Civic now has 55k and still drives like a charm, never been to the shop execpt for oil changes..

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I personally love that car. It looks sweet, you can easily change a few things to the way you like. It gets good gas mileage and should last forever its a Toyota. It also comes in that Cobalt Grey color which is sick. If the size doesn't bother you (I hardly carry more than 1 other in my Civic), I think you will like it. It also won't kill your wallet, so you can save for a bigger TV and stereo for the new pad when you move in.

P.S. Dub you ever spin in the ATL, and what kind of music.?

No never in Atl.

I started spinning Hip Hop when I was in college then migrated into house music. That's all I spin now but only as a hobby.

If I'm stressed or just want to relax, I'll sit there and mix for hours and hours.....for x-mas, I bought myself Final Scratch. Now I can take the music on my Powerbook and manipulate it as if it were vinyl. Amazing product!!

It's made me want to get back into it once a week or so. But I no longer live in Miami and the house music scene in West Palm Beach hasnt held at all. :cry:
Plus, I have a real job now.:lol:

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Yeah I agree. Honda makes great cars, but the designs are so bland. I'm not crazy about the 2006 Civic Sedan. I do think the Si looks kinda like a G35 to some degree.

NaboCane
12-23-2005, 12:59 PM

VW Jetta
VW Passat
Scion TC
Acura RSX
Mazda 3 5-door

What do you guys think?

Why don't you look at the Scion (by Toyota)? Great reliability, a lot of car for very little $.

My girl has an xB, and we're thrilled with it.

Dubfire
12-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Why don't you look at the Scion (by Toyota)? Great reliability, a lot of car for very little $.

My girl has an xB, and we're thrilled with it.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the tC. Although the RSX and Mazda 3 5-Door still intrigue me.

I think it's going to be a gametime decision. Like when I'm at the actual dealer. Whichever it may be.:lol:

Pagan
12-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Awww.....just get a Mustang GT, Dub. :rawk:

:lol: