PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Kevin Costner

BAMAPHIN 22
12-24-2005, 07:34 PM
The rising stardom of Kevin Costner in the 1980s perplexed me. Sure, he starred in a string of good movies — “The Untouchables,” “No Way Out,” “Bull Durham,” “Field of Dreams,” “Dances with Wolves” — but, “Bull Durham” aside, he was often a bland presence upstaged by supporting players. James Earl Jones added punch to “Dreams,” Morgan Freeman added dignity to “Robin Hood” and Sean Connery added balls to “The Untouchables.” In fact, every Untouchable upstages Costner. His Eliot Ness wants to do good but it’s Connery who shows him how, Charles Martin Smith who points the way and Andy Garcia who provides the firepower. Ness? He plays butterflies and Eskimos with his daughter.

The falling stardom of Kevin Costner in the 1990s perplexed me, too. Just when his work became dark and complex the audience vanished. I’m thinking of “A Perfect World,” which came out the year after the monster-hit “The Bodyguard,” and was directed by Clint Eastwood the year after he made “Unforgiven.” Great star power, right? Critics loved it. It was released in November — prime movie real estate. Yet it made only $31 million in the U.S. — a quarter of “The Bodyguard’s” take —and garnered no end-of-the-year awards.

I’m also thinking of the unfairly maligned “Wyatt Earp,” in which Costner plays the titular lawman who grows darker the longer he lives and the more he kills. There’s an air of authenticity to the movie — an attempt to ground the mythology that grew out of Hollywood’s early depictions of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. But Costner’s Earp was a cold character and that translated into even colder box office. It made only $25 million.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10561262/

PHINATIC13
12-24-2005, 08:01 PM
I thought his best performance was in Oliver Stone's JFK.

DonShula84
12-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Not a very good actor, but he does some really really good movies

Dolphin1184
12-24-2005, 09:29 PM
White Squall is an excellent movie. EDIT: Never mind, thats Jeff Bridges not cosner.

Wildbill3
12-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Hell, I loved the postman, and Waterworld, like him or hate him the man makes some entertainment, it just isn't for everybody.

Den54
12-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Silverado baby!!!

Wildbill3
12-24-2005, 09:43 PM
3000 miles to graceland was a good movie! Any movie that contains Courtney Cox's butt in panites scene is a great movie!

Perfect23
12-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Does anyone notice how he looks like Mike Mularky.:)

Wildbill3
12-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Does anyone notice how he looks like Mike Mularky.:)Actually kevin's older, mike is probably his son, heck the resemblence is uncanny, Kevin is loved for his work, Mike is loved for his work, Kevin has a bad movie(s) and nobody wants to watch him anymore, Mike has one bad season, and nobody wants him as a coach anymore... Wow. :eek: I think my nose is bleeding.

Roman529
12-25-2005, 02:33 AM
He is not the best actor in the world...only slightly better than Steven Segal.

Wildbill3
12-25-2005, 02:36 AM
He is not the best actor in the world...only slightly better than Steven Segal.Fat Segal, or skinny Segal?

HysterikiLL
12-25-2005, 02:54 AM
Dances With Wolves is one of my favorite all-time movies, but since then he has been on a downward slope. Now he's into this romantic comedy stuff? Yuck, man.

Miamian
12-25-2005, 05:13 AM
The Field of Dreams is my favorite all-time movie. He's not as talented an actor as say, Jack Nicholson, who can make virtually any part believable; he fits certain characters and not others.

He was excellent as Ray Kinsella and John Dumbar; I wasn't particularly taken with him in Waterworld and I thought he sucked big time in Robin Hood. I haven't seen Wyatt Earp, but I imagine he would fit that role pretty well; on the other hand, I thought that Jim Carrey would be a lock-key fit for the Riddler.