PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Siberian Orchestra in concert.

Pagan
12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
I went last night to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the Pepsi Arena in Albany. I had the good fortune of aquiring sixth row dead center.

For those who have never heard of TSO, yes you have! It's two members of the metal band Savatage, along with a group of IMMENSELY talented musicians, who play Christmas and classical music that's slightly rocked out. You've heard "Christmas Eve In Sarajevo" on the radio, trust me.

Okay....before I say what I'm going to say about the show, let me give you a better background to heighten the impact. I have been to literally HUNDREDS of rock concerts in my 44 years. I've seen everyone from Iron Maiden to Jeff Healy, from Peter Frampton to B.B. King, and from David Bowie to Smokey Robinson. I've gone to Disneyworld and seen every stage show they've put on for the past 11 years. I've been to dozens of Broadway plays, and seen pretty much every fireworks show you could possibly see....so I've seen some amazing shows in my time.

Nothing....repeat, NOTHING I have ever seen could possibly even compare to the spectacle that was TSO in concert! I have never been so blown away by a performance in all my life.

When TSO took the stage, I don't care if you are the biggest Scrooge in the world, by the time you leave the theater you WILL be in the holiday spirit! Their music is more majestic than you could possibly imagine, and the stage is backed by a light show I have never even come close to seeing before. Completely and totally light years beyond anything I've ever even imagined in a light show. It accented the music so superbly that it became part of the music.

And the music itself...there's no way I could even describe it to you. If you are a TRUE lover of music, and not just someone who only likes one type, you will run the entire gamut of emotions listening to this concert. There were times the hair on the back of my neck stood up, there were times I had goosebumps, there were times I had tears in my eyes. The power of this music is indescribable...and to think the primary musicians come from a power metal band and a thrash band!

The two guitarists are Chris Caffery from Savatage, and Alex Skolnick, from Testament. Savatage drummer Jeff Plate kept the beat behind everything along with NY native David Z. on the bass, and rounding out the band were some of the finest musicians around. Violinist Mark Wood was phenominal, sporting the only "flying V" violin in existance! :up: He led a string section that gave the music so much texture you could taste it. Keyboardist Robert Kinkel was superb, and also was one of the trio of main composers of all the music. He was joined on keys by a tiny Korean woman named Mee Eun Kim, who complimented him perfectly.

The whole show was narrated by Bryan Hicks, a MOUNTAIN of a man who's deep bass voice brought the story of an angel wandering the earth to find a Christmas gift to bring back to God to life. When he shouted "Merry Christmas!" to everyone at the end of the show, the power of his voice shook the rafters of the building.

Lastly were the vocalists...each one as phenominal as they get. The main singers were Jay Pierce, who brought a Motown flavor to some of the jazzier numbers; Peter Shaw, who gave a Broadway feel; James Robert Lewis, who covered ALL genres; and Steve Broderick, who lent his voice to the more rock flavored tunes.

The show stealer on vocals was a woman named Jennifer Cella, who's voice probably reached the 80 miles back to my house! She was backed by two women - Danielle Landher & Tany Ling - and not only could all three sing up a storm, but they were astonishingly beautiful to boot.

So anyway, to sum this all up before I keep rambling on about it. If you have the chance to see these guys, you are doing yourself a GRAVE injustice if you miss them. They WILL make your holiday season, no doubt. The best way for me to sum it up is to quote from a review that was printed in the program by "Metal Edge" magzine's editor Paul Gargano:

"That night, the spirit of Christmas was more than just a sentimental Hallmark greeting atthe Beacon Theater. It was a message of hope, love, joy and salvation, all delivered on the wings of heavy metal guitars, a jazz-fused accompaniment, thundering drums, and a cast of musicians who leveled my senses, numbed my pain, and elevated my spirits. I'm not too proud to admit that there were tears in my eyes throughout part of the set, as the power of music will do that. You know that Christmas miracle that tugs at all our heartstrings, but more often than not proves to be little more than a fable? It was real this December, and it took shape via Trans-Siberian Orchestra. That, my friends, is not only the spirit of Christmas, but the power of music. And it's that power that translates into passion all year long. How was the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I laughed, I cried, it was better than any Christmas spectacle I'd ever experienced. The evening made my Christmas a better one, and like the Christmas star shining high above, the power and passion of music lit the way."

I could not have said it any better. This is what this show invokes in people. If you haven't seen them yet, do not miss them next year....

LtDan
12-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Sounds awesome Pagan. Then of course any time a band starts with 2 guys from Savatage and a Testament guy, the bar is set high! I have loved Savatage for years! Glad you had a rockin' good time.

Buddwalk
12-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Very Very Very Awesome Pagan...you should take me :D