PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips

MiaDolphins44
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Iv'e been a lurker on this site for a while now and I have some pretty random questions to ask to open up my first post but I figure most of you have played football before so I can get some help.

I'll be a junior in high school next year, and play on my school's varsity football team. I have played Fullback since about 8th grade but because of a personnel problem on our roster I will be switched to LB next year. I am excited as hell to play defense and most especially LB but I am inexperienced at this position. So does anybody know any websites or personal advice that I could use to prepare for this transition. I am not looking for advice on the physical part so much as I am the mental part(i.e, reading offenses)

Thanks in advance.
Go Dolphins

SuavePhin
12-28-2005, 09:05 PM
tackel the guy with the football is a good starting fundamental ;)

FinHeathen
12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Iv'e been a lurker on this site for a while now and I have some pretty random questions to ask to open up my first post but I figure most of you have played football before so I can get some help.

I'll be a junior in high school next year, and play on my school's varsity football team. I have played Fullback since about 8th grade but because of a personnel problem on our roster I will be switched to LB next year. I am excited as hell to play defense and most especially LB but I am inexperienced at this position. So does anybody know any websites or personal advice that I could use to prepare for this transition. I am not looking for advice on the physical part so much as I am the mental part(i.e, reading offenses)

Thanks in advance.
Go Dolphins

I think that if you score more points than the other team, you're going to win a lot of games.

mor911
12-28-2005, 09:48 PM
You guys are a-holes... Running fast is obviosly the best way to be good. so... Practice running fast. Don'r stop until you run a 2.8 40

Cool Calm Mike
12-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Do what Captain Insano does to the bad guys.

welderpat
12-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Thanks in advance.
Go Dolphins

This is the best chance you have ever had.
On offence they have to call youre number for you to make a play. On defence you can make a play from anywhere on the feild.
Run wild go crazy.

Prime
12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Make sure that you can run from side to side and make sure that you stay low while running. Staying low while running will help you tackle and not miss. Make sure you can cover because they will ask you to cover the middle and the TE's.

Nappy Roots
12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Make sure that you can run from side to side and make sure that you stay low while running. Staying low while running will help you tackle and not miss. Make sure you can cover because they will ask you to cover the middle and the TE's.

he said mentally not physically.

man mentally you just gotta be disciplined and sure headed. you gotta have enough discipline to stay in your gap, and you gotta have enough confidence that when u break on a play, to know that u made the right decision. you gotta be really tough mentally to play LB. u gotta wanna hit thats for sure.

FinHeathen
12-28-2005, 10:23 PM
I agree with the Mor. If you run faster than other people, then those people who are slower than you will not be able to catch you as easily.

Prime
12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
he said mentally not physically.

man mentally you just gotta be disciplined and sure headed. you gotta have enough discipline to stay in your gap, and you gotta have enough confidence that when u break on a play, to know that u made the right decision. you gotta be really tough mentally to play LB. u gotta wanna hit thats for sure.

Well I'm helping him out with how it should be done and what to expect. But I agree with your post. You just got to stay positive and if you make a bad play, then shrug it off and get ready for the next play. Let your coaches get on you if you make a mistake because that will help you out alot. Remember, this is a team game, don't try to makes plays by yourself with other people around you. Help them out with there plays too.

It'll Happen11
12-28-2005, 11:04 PM
The first 4 guys that replied to his post have obviously never played a down of football in they're lives. Lets leave this thread to the people who played football in high school and not the class clowns.

To the original post though, I played LB for the majority of my high school career and the best advice I can give you mentally besides the obvious "you gotta love to hit" and "Be very disciplined", is to ask your coach about reading guards and fullbacks. You should have a better idea than most since you played fullback. The switch from FB to LB is usually an easy one because you know the tricks and tendencies of a fullback already.

Nappy Roots
12-28-2005, 11:33 PM
is to ask your coach about reading guards and fullbacks. You should have a better idea than most since you played fullback. The switch from FB to LB is usually an easy one because you know the tricks and tendencies of a fullback already.

yea true. reading the OLine is one of things that helped me the most. i never covered the TE 1 time my senior year. and only covered the RB a few times, so i couldnt help on coverage

JTBRLZ
12-29-2005, 12:40 AM
I've played linebacker my whole life up until last year. You have to be able to take on a blocker and get through him, not around him, through him. If you try to go around him the ball carrier will be gone by the time you're in proper position. You can't really be taught to read a play, that should just come to you. And also as a linebacker, you have to be the leader of the defense so take charge out there, if people are in the wrong spot let them know, but don't be an ******* about it, but get your point across.

FLOUNDER
12-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Captain Insano shows no mercy:sidelol:

Nappy Roots
12-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I've played linebacker my whole life up until last year. You have to be able to take on a blocker and get through him, not around him, through him. If you try to go around him the ball carrier will be gone by the time you're in proper position. You can't really be taught to read a play, that should just come to you. And also as a linebacker, you have to be the leader of the defense so take charge out there, if people are in the wrong spot let them know, but don't be an ******* about it, but get your point across.

well, i dont really agree with most of that. but to each its own.

Fin Fan in Cali
12-29-2005, 12:51 AM

Thanks in advance.
Go DolphinsBro I never played football in high school just in any available patch of grass. Perhaps see if you can get with the coaches early for some one on one before practice opens up, so that way you can get some pointers and advice before the rest of them get in there. Keep your head up, and fight through the blocks, and fight your way to the ball carrier. I wish you the best in the transition, and that keep your head in the game because you will probably make mistakes early, but just learn from them, and you will be better off for the next time! Good Luck!

Rocky Raccoon
12-29-2005, 01:03 AM
well I think it's something you will learn as you go through training camp. Just pay attention to the other LB's and what the coaches are telling you. It will be a process.

TheAnswer385
12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
u just have to be aware of everything and know the Offence schemes

saves
12-29-2005, 02:41 AM
well, i dont really agree with most of that. but to each its own.

I don't either actually.

My advice. Practice hard. Practice reading plays, tackeling, sheding blockers, and alll that fun stuff seriously. The best thing is repetition, get it locked in your head so it is like instinct almost. Also take advantages of every opportunity to play. The best way to get better is to figure out what you need to work on and practice practice practice. I know it sounds corny but its such a famous phrase for a reason.

Nappy Roots
12-29-2005, 02:57 AM
I don't either actually.

My advice. Practice hard. Practice reading plays, tackeling, sheding blockers, and alll that fun stuff seriously. The best thing is repetition, get it locked in your head so it is like instinct almost. Also take advantages of every opportunity to play. The best way to get better is to figure out what you need to work on and practice practice practice. I know it sounds corny but its such a famous phrase for a reason.

absolutly. i improved so much my senior year cause i practiced hard. its just practice yea, but it gets you in such better habbits its unbelieveable.

Agent51
12-29-2005, 05:29 AM
The first 4 guys that replied to his post have obviously never played a down of football in they're lives. Lets leave this thread to the people who played football in high school and not the class clowns.

To the original post though, I played LB for the majority of my high school career and the best advice I can give you mentally besides the obvious "you gotta love to hit" and "Be very disciplined", is to ask your coach about reading guards and fullbacks. You should have a better idea than most since you played fullback. The switch from FB to LB is usually an easy one because you know the tricks and tendencies of a fullback already.

Plus fullbacks can usually give away a play if you read it fast enough. I play HB and I also played safety before moving exclusive;y to HB and as a S I noticed a lot of time the FB would give away the play. This works good for counter plays, becasue as the HB fakes to one side and goes to the other, the FB goes right for the way the play is going.

Also, just STUDY STUDY STUDY man, get your plays so wired that you could run them in your sleep, and watch lots of film, on your oponent and also yourself so you can see the weaknesses both of you have in your game.