PDA

View Full Version : steal on draft day

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Title is....
Stovall, Winston could be steals (croyle was another one)

" It's not uncommon for second-round draft picks to outperform their first-round counterparts as NFL rookies. For starters, second-round picks rarely hold out in training camp due to contract disputes.
Secondly, many second-round picks are first-round talents who wind up slipping on draft day due to character or medical concerns. Often times, these types of players enter the league with a chip on their shoulder and are out to prove the other 31 teams wrong for passing up on them.

ILB Kendrell Bell (Steelers) was a perfect example in 2001, as was Clinton Portis (Broncos) in 2002, Anquan Boldin (Cardinals) in 2003 and RB Julius Jones (Cowboys) in 2004. "

quote from Insider, i dindt post the link b/c usually some ppl can't read it due to it being an insider.

dolphinfan2k5
12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
You know I could be wrong but I always thought there was 32 teams in the league. :goof:

Rocky Raccoon
12-30-2005, 12:39 AM
You know I could be wrong but I always thought there was 32 teams in the league. :goof:

:confused: there are

MallSanta
12-30-2005, 12:39 AM

Wow, open mouth insert foot. 31 OTHER teams + current team = 32 teams

dolphinfan2k5
12-30-2005, 12:40 AM
They still passed him once.

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 12:46 AM

did you read? did i say anything about OUR team? or did it say possible steals OVERALL.

read things, then reread it if you dont understand it fully.

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
They still passed him once.

who passed who once? NONE OF THOSE 3 HAVE HIT DRAFT DAY YET! ITS IN 06!

Finfang
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM

He did state 31 passing. :evil:

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Title is....
Stovall, Winston could be steals (croyle was another one)

" It's not uncommon for second-round draft picks to outperform their first-round counterparts as NFL rookies. For starters, second-round picks rarely hold out in training camp due to contract disputes.
Secondly, many second-round picks are first-round talents who wind up slipping on draft day due to character or medical concerns. Often times, these types of players enter the league with a chip on their shoulder and are out to prove the other 31 teams wrong for passing up on them.

ILB Kendrell Bell (Steelers) was a perfect example in 2001, as was Clinton Portis (Broncos) in 2002, Anquan Boldin (Cardinals) in 2003 and RB Julius Jones (Cowboys) in 2004. "

quote from Insider, i dindt post the link b/c usually some ppl can't read it due to it being an insider.

While I agree that Stovall, Winston, and Croyle could be steals...I think that thesis kind of assumes that no second round pick should outperform a first round pick...and thats a bit flawed. We all know it breaks down to percentages. Then again nothing they say is really wrong I mean yeah there's dudes go in the 2nd because of attitude or injury or whatever the case and then they go in with a chip on their shoulder and play lights out. They probably should have mentioned Chambers though heh.

dolphinfan2k5
12-30-2005, 01:03 AM
did you read? did i say anything about OUR team? or did it say possible steals OVERALL.

read things, then reread it if you dont understand it fully.

What? I didn't say anything about what you said. I commented on what you quoted. Is this really a big deal, it's a matter of opinion.

dolphinfan2k5
12-30-2005, 01:04 AM
who passed who once? NONE OF THOSE 3 HAVE HIT DRAFT DAY YET! ITS IN 06!

I used "him" as a generic a second round draft pick. You know, he was drafted in the second round meaning 32 first round teams passed on him.

ether79
12-30-2005, 01:11 AM
I used "him" as a generic a second round draft pick. You know, he was drafted in the second round meaning 32 first round teams passed on him.

:confused: On who??

ckb2001
12-30-2005, 01:13 AM
"other 31 teams" passed on him doesn't imply the 32nd team didn't pass on him, so that write up doesn't imply there are only 31 teams in the league.

earl the pearl
12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
:lol:. I love this thread.

ckb2001
12-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it totally killed the topic :sidelol:

WazzMan16
12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
A steal on draft day could be Oregon QB Kellen Clemens. Sure he was hurt for the last 6 weeks of the season. But, he led the nation is offense and even two weeks after he got hurt and wasnt playing, he had put it so far that he still was leading the nation. He's good under pressure, stays in the pocket, and can move when he needs to. I think he will be and excelant QB of the future to pick up!

dominizzo
12-30-2005, 02:24 AM
A steal on draft day could be Oregon QB Kellen Clemens. Sure he was hurt for the last 6 weeks of the season. But, he led the nation is offense and even two weeks after he got hurt and wasnt playing, he had put it so far that he still was leading the nation. He's good under pressure, stays in the pocket, and can move when he needs to. I think he will be and excelant QB of the future to pick up!

who is he compared to Clemens

endorPHINS72
12-30-2005, 03:06 AM
Ok, back to the topic of the thread...

I don't know a lot about the other two, but Maurice Stovall WILL be a very productive receiver in the NFL. He had received NFL coaching while at Notre Dame, is 6'5 and 225 lbs., runs a 4.4 forty and has dominated a good deal of games this year. Unfortunately for us Dolphins fans hoping to get him in the 2nd round, I think his stock will continue to rise before April and will probably make it into the mid to late 1st round.

endorPHINS72
12-30-2005, 03:08 AM

Oh man....not another Oregon QB who missed time in college due to injury!!! :cry:

Just kidding. I don't know anything about him but he sounds like he's worth a look in the middle rounds.