PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero

Agent51
12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Simply put, this game is AMAZING. Wether you play guitar or not this game is great, and very addicting. I play guitar so I love it and it gives me an edge when playing against non-guitar players, cuz I'm already usesd to the movements, lol. Even people who don't play at all are addicted to this game, they are always trying to come over and play, one of my friends refused to own a PS2 and he actually ran out and bought a system and this package after playing it at my house.

For anyone who doesn't know it's a game along the lines of DDR or something like that where you watch the scrolling directions and your actions are supposed to follow them. The major difference is this game isn't lame like those dumb DDR games, which I am proud to say I have never set foot on :lol: .
Anyway, the basic package goes for $70-80 depending on where you look and comes with the game, the guitar controller, which is modeled after a Gibson SG (like Angus Young of AC/DC plays), and some cheesy strap for it, which is actually pretty comfortable, but I use my normal straps for it cuz they are more comfortable.

The controller is pretty well built and surprisingly big. It's about 75-80% the size of a normal guitar, so its pretty comfortable even for guitar players. It has 5 "fret" buttons at the top, along with a "strum" button where you would normally pick the strungs on a guitar, a "whammy" bar which is cool cuz you can use it anytime to add a little flair to your playing, and a start buttons and select button that are positioned like the volume and tone controls of a normal guitar.

You play by watching the notes fall down a fretboard on the screen and you press the appropriate fret button and strum to "hit" the note, just like real life. Fairly simple when starting out, SUPER hard when you get to the "hero" level (there are 4 levels of difficulty for each song, like Donkey Konga there are just more notes to hit with each increasing level). The game impresses me because it actually has hammer-ons and pull-offs and even has chords.

You can pick from one of 8 guitarists and then you name your band (in career mode) and you start by playing small venues like a basement and work your way all the way up to stadiums. You earn money for gigs and you can buy new guitars, new paintjobs/finishes for the guitars and things like that. The guitarist and band animations are done excellently. While your playing the band is actually doing the live show in the back, so you can watch your guy, and the band, perform the songs. Well, on easier songs you can, on crazy stuff like Bark At The Moon on the hero level you won't e lookin at anything but the notes, lol. The performance is spot on too, it's not just a generic "animation moves it fingers and pretends" type of thing, the people will actually play the song. What I mean is if your ripping off a solo your guitarists fingers will be doing the solo, and in the proper area on the guitar, the drummer will be hitting the cymbals when they hit in the song, it all matches up and it really adds to it.

There is also a "star power" meter that fills the better you play, and when it is filled you activate it, either by tilting the guitar up (it has a built in sensor) or by hitting the select button. When you do this it's kind of like super playing. You get awesome points for hitting the notes and you kinda go into a "zone". ESSENTIAL for the super fast solos like in Bark at the Moon and Crossroads just to name a few.

Multiplayer is pretty fun too. You can use a regular controller, but really, how fun is that? You can either buy extra guitars seperately (they are $40 for the black SG, $50 for the "cherry" SG) or you can get the multiplayer package, like I did, for $110, it comes with the game and TWO guitars. You really only save like $10, but hey, that a couple of shots, lol. Anyway, in multiplayer you both play the same song at the same time except you play different parts. Sometimes you'll both be playing along, the same exact part, other sections of the song just you or your opponent will be playing. There is a meter that tells you who is doing better, and the winner is onstage and bows (or whatever your character's animation is) when its over like it was a battle of the bands.

There are 30 "licensed" songs in the game and 17 "indie" tracks for a total of 47 songs to play. When you figure that all 47 can be played on all 4 difficulties then you have TONS and TONS of playtime, lol. I say "licensed" because, while they are real songs, they aren't the ACTUAL recording. Before you get discouraged its not bad like you think. They re-did the songs themselves with professional bands so that they could isolate the guitar tracks to play. MOST of the songs sound almost exactly like the real thing. I first saw this game in action at a Best Buy and when I tried it out I thought I was really listening to Motorhead (Ace of Spades). I didn't know til I read more about the game that it isn't the actual artists. The cover singers do GREAT in MOST of them. Some tracks are definately noticeable though, like "Infected" by Bad Religion, doesn't really sound like Greg, but oh well, nothings perfect, lol. Most people who play the game prolly don't even know Bad Religion so they'll be non-the-wiser.

So anyway, I HIGHLY suggest this game, ESPECIALLY to guitar players, it's a freakin BLAST. IGN gave it a 9.2, I'd personally give it a 9.6.

Here's the official site with tons of info:
http://www.guitarherogame.com/

and here's the trailer for the game:
http://www.guitarherogame.com/trailer.asp

UltraDol-Fan
01-06-2006, 11:53 AM
great review man. My friend got it a couple weeks ago and I started playing...it is awesome. At first I was like, who wants to play a stupid guitar game, it looks boring. After playing it I am hooked. I am seriously considering going out to get a PS2 for this game. It is so much fun I can't stand it. The songs are absolutely great! I would give it a 9.8 out of 10. I was a little disappointed there was no Metallica, but then I heard they didn't want to be in it. I also heard that after the success of this game they called and asked if there was going to be a sequal.

PhinsPhan
01-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I have been wanting to play this game since I heard about it. I went out and got Bongos and a Gamecube after playing Donky Konga and I have not regretted it. Everyone I know loves that game and I am excited to try this one.

Agent51
01-07-2006, 01:59 PM
great review man. My friend got it a couple weeks ago and I started playing...it is awesome. At first I was like, who wants to play a stupid guitar game, it looks boring. After playing it I am hooked. I am seriously considering going out to get a PS2 for this game. It is so much fun I can't stand it. The songs are absolutely great! I would give it a 9.8 out of 10. I was a little disappointed there was no Metallica, but then I heard they didn't want to be in it. I also heard that after the success of this game they called and asked if there was going to be a sequal.

a LOT of bands didn't wanna be in it. Did ya notice it's called guiter HEROS yet there is no Van Halen, Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, AC/DC etc etc? They all better be there for the next one, lol. I'd LOVE to play the Sweet Child O Mine solo in the game, it so fun to play in real life.