PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Darnell Bing

South Florida
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Is he going to be available @ 15?

If so, why don't we take him?

He's definitely a blue chip at his position (6'2 220), and I just feel that taking a guarantee at that spot is safer than a risk (Jay Cutler?? Arm Strength???)

I don't know. I'm all about a logical fusion of "Best Available Player" and "Need".

Its starting to look like he'll be there at that spot. He's got serious size and speed and we need speed in that position.

Any thoughts?

(Also realistic there following the same mentality would be, I feel, Chad Greenway, Eric Winston, Marcus McNeil, Laron Landry)

KB21
12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I like his size, but I don't like him so much in coverage. He's your prototype for an "in the box" safety. LaRon Landry is much better in coverage though, and while Bing is a hitter, I'd say Landry is the better tackler.

Bowl_Bound
12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I love him. Moreover most mock drafts I have seen dont even have him taken in the 1st round. The S from LSU may also be drafted 1st. Having said that my dream draft would go 1) Cutker and 2) Bing

ether79
12-30-2005, 02:27 PM
I think he will definitely be available at 15. I'd rather go with Huff if available there or Landry. All three are good options though.

studsatele
12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
maybe rnd 1 bing

rnd 2 landry. lol. we wouldnt doit but itd definately be interesting

PublixSubsRule
12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
huff is gonna be good and landry and bing are gonna be good to

johngarry
12-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Bing and Poole are like 'jam & jelly', boys...THAT would be 'nice'!

ether79
12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
maybe rnd 1 bing

rnd 2 landry. lol. we wouldnt doit but itd definately be interesting

Landry is a top 25 pick, he will probably go higher than Bing.

Dolfan4life34
12-30-2005, 03:02 PM
i say we wait on the position and go anthonysmith from syracuse is tied for 2nd in the nation in ints and 3rd on his tm in tackling and watching him play hes a big hitter check out some film on him if u can ull see hes a late rd guy

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 03:05 PM
yup. landry then bing i say. huff before all tho most likely. give me landry and im in love! give me cutler and im a happy man. give me cutler and bing in rd 2 then im jumping wiht joy!

MonkeyDog
12-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I like his size, but I don't like him so much in coverage. He's your prototype for an "in the box" safety. LaRon Landry is much better in coverage though, and while Bing is a hitter, I'd say Landry is the better tackler.

That's a good assessment of Bing. As a fan it's hard to know the intangibles between Landry and Bing, other than one being strong and the other being a free safety. I thought I heard somewhere that Landry was one of Sabans favorite players as far as natural football insticts.

ether79
12-30-2005, 03:15 PM
That's a good assessment of Bing. As a fan it's hard to know the intangibles between Landry and Bing, other than one being strong and the other being a free safety. I thought I heard somewhere that Landry was one of Sabans favorite players as far as natural football insticts.

I believe the statement by Saban about Landry was that he was one of the best leaders that Saban has ever had on D. Great leadership, great instincts.

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Landry's got a bit of a Darren Sharper thing going for him. Bing has a bit of a Blaine Bishop thing going on for him.

ether79
12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Landry's got a bit of a Darren Sharper thing going for him. Bing has a bit of a Blaine Bishop thing going on for him.

Thats a good postion to be in..choose between a Sharper type or Bishop type. Dare I say that if Saban didn't know Landry so well that he might go for the Bishop type?

caneaddict
12-30-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't know how well he's recovering from the hip injury, but we can get Jason Allen in the 2nd, maybe even in the 3rd (not likely) if he really falls. I think he could be just as good at safety as anyone we can get in teh 1st round (assuming he recovers 100%).

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Thats a good postion to be in..choose between a Sharper type or Bishop type. Dare I say that if Saban didn't know Landry so well that he might go for the Bishop type?

Maybe. I think we need a bit more of the sticky-hands thing in our secondary at the moment...and some more leadership back there. Considering all the sacks we have it's a little alarming how few interceptions we have.

But otherwise I see your point. Saban seems like he'd like a Blaine Bishop type even though he doesn't really run the 46 defense.

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe. I think we need a bit more of the sticky-hands thing in our secondary at the moment...and some more leadership back there. Considering all the sacks we have it's a little alarming how few interceptions we have.

But otherwise I see your point. Saban seems like he'd like a Blaine Bishop type even though he doesn't really run the 46 defense.

exactly. with all that presuse u'd expect bad passes or the CB/S being in position to INT the pass but it is no where near the case. i htink its jsut a lack of talent in the secondary. just horrible coverage skills. we need some fresh ones out there.

BTW, NO WILL ALLEN PLEASE. i read articles on him and he is apparently the reggie howard of the giants.

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Will Allen couldn't catch a cold if he were soaking wet in a high wind. That's the opposite of what we want to add to the secondary at the moment.

ether79
12-30-2005, 03:28 PM

Yeah you're probably right. I personally would rather have Landry over the other two. Especially considering the success that Daniels has had coming into a system he knows. I really don't think it would be that much of a reach at 15 either, with the knowledge Landry has.

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah you're probably right. I personally would rather have Landry over the other two. Especially considering the success that Daniels has had coming into a system he knows. I really don't think it would be that much of a reach at 15 either, with the knowledge Landry has.

Yeah I mean unless this season under Les Miles screwed him up any, the guy should be able to start Day 1 just like Daniels did. It would be a big boost for this team.

dominizzo
12-30-2005, 03:42 PM
LAron Landry or Mike Huff

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
LAron Landry or Mike Huff

TOUGH choice man. Huff could be a corner or a strong safety and I like that versatility. Landry just would be a safety. Maybe Landry just because of the experience and Saban knows what a leader he is out on the field.

South Florida
12-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm saying Bing because Huff and Landry should be the first DBs taken, with Jimmy Williams thrown in there.

Also, Bing is an underclassmen.

saves
12-30-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm a big Bing fan. I think he would fit this defense perfectly. The second coming of Troy Polemalue

SweepeR
12-30-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm a big Bing fan. I think he would fit this defense perfectly. The second coming of Troy Polemalue

ill take it in a heart beat. troy is a tackling disturbing the plays whore. he is like ZT on every paly

MonkeyDog
12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm a big Bing fan. I think he would fit this defense perfectly.

I heard his brother Chandler is a real wuss.

whatsburning
12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Go jam and jelly!!

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm saying Bing because Huff and Landry should be the first DBs taken, with Jimmy Williams thrown in there.

Also, Bing is an underclassmen.

I don't see how Landry could possibly end up being taken in the first 14 picks of the draft.

Even excluding Vince Young you've got...

Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, Jimmy Williams, AJ Hawk, DeAngelo Williams, Mathias Kiwanuku, Haloti Ngata, Demeco Ryans, Chad Greenway, and Michael Huff all having to go ahead of Landry, and then on top of that you might have Vince Young in there or Jay Cutler, and you might have another OT go that high too (Winston Justice?)...possibly a WR.

There's just too many guys who obviously are above Landry to end up having Landry taken in the 1-14 area.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Landry is the best Free Safety in this upcoming draft class. He can cover, and tackles well. His frame could be a problem in the NFL though. He is going to be asked to gain at least 15 pounds to his frame. Hopefully he can add the weight like Caddy did, and keep his speed.

I really like Bing though. He is a monster that can lay the wood, and he's a burner. His coverage skills to me are good, not as good as Landry, but he can cover. My problem with him, and one of the biggest reasons I would take Landry first, is Bing can't stay healthy. Then you add in the fact that Landry knows Miami's system, and they really need a FS with big time skilz, you take Landry all day long, and twice on Sunday's......

Jaj
12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I can understand taking Landry, however Bing may be available later in the 1st and a trade down possibly with Denver in the late 20's could be attractive.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 05:59 PM

I'm a huge fan of Bing as well. I think this team needs a ball hawking Free Safety though. Landry fits that bill perfectly. Plus Bing hit people so hard, he is always hurt. His health will be an issue come draft day.

Jaj
12-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of Bing as well. I think this team needs a ball hawking Free Safety though. Landry fits that bill perfectly. Plus Bing hit people so hard, he is always hurt. His health will be an issue come draft day.

Bell, Tillman, and Schulters if we re-sign him can all play FS. We need a Rodney Harrison in the box type hitter.

ether79
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
We need a Rodney Harrison in the box type hitter.
In that instance I hope we'd look to Bernard Pollard in the 2nd.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Bell, Tillman, and Schulters if we re-sign him can all play FS. We need a Rodney Harrison in the box type hitter.

Bell has a lot of potential to be pretty good, but is very raw, and still uproven. Shulters was a fine stop gap but had problems with this system since day one. He is out of place a lot, and bit the play actions, and play fakes to easily. I'm sure with another Training Camp under his belt he could fix a lot of things, but to me, this team needs better.

With almost 50 sacks this year, our safeties should have a lot more Int's. IMO

Eshlemon
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
In that instance I hope we'd look to Bernard Pollard in the 2nd.

Or Dwayne Slay in the 4th.

Jaj
12-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Bell has a lot of potential to be pretty good, but is very raw, and still uproven. Shulters was a fine stop gap but had problems with this system since day one. He is out of place a lot, and bit the play actions, and play fakes to easily. I'm sure with another Training Camp under his belt he could fix a lot of things, but to me, this team needs better.

With almost 50 sacks this year, our safeties should have a lot more Int's. IMO

It's our CBs that haven't had the interceptions largely because Howard is getting picked on. Bell is in his third year for god sake, and he wasn't that young to begin with when drafted. You think a rookie wouldn't be even more raw? Schulters will be fine...

saves
12-30-2005, 06:50 PM

I personally thing we could go either way. I like the idea of a field general, ball hawking FS, and Landry certaintly fits that bill, but I also think Shulters can be a contibuter on a playoff team, so the need isn't quite as big.

I do know are safeties are seting team records for sacks and all this year, but I think a play like Bing would make our saftey blitz's so much more effective. Bell has made some big plays this year, but how many times have you seen the SS creep up and blitz and just get tossed aside, exposing our secondary. A player like Bing could increase the chances that our blitz gets into the QB's face, boosting our secondarys chances of making a big play.

I see our attacking style of defense very similar to the Steelers. It is just awesome watching Polemalu come up to the line and take a good angle at the QB and smacking him in the face. I think we need a star in that position to duplicate their success and Bing just fits that profile for me. I wouldn't be upset at all with Landry or Huff, but my preference for big fast safeties is fully satisfied in a guy like Bing.

saves
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I heard his brother Chandler is a real wuss.

:whistle:

ckparrothead
12-30-2005, 07:25 PM
It's our CBs that haven't had the interceptions largely because Howard is getting picked on. Bell is in his third year for god sake, and he wasn't that young to begin with when drafted. You think a rookie wouldn't be even more raw? Schulters will be fine...

Well, raw is a way you play and Bell plays raw. I know he's 3rd year but he plays that way. And yes our safeties should definitely have more picks than they do. Tillman got three, Schulters has like two or three, but we should be looking at one safety who ends up with like 7 from all the pressure we've gotten and the other dude with like 3 or 4. We've gotten enough pressure and play enough zone to warrant that.

And its arguable that Landry wouldn't be any more raw than Travis Daniels, since he too will know Nick's system like the back of his hand. I would hardly call Daniels "raw" that's for sure.

And I'm not so sure Landry projects to free safety. I guess people look at his weight and project that but I think he's played strong safety all his time with Nick and he plays like a strong safety. Very good on blitz. Very sure tackler, can probably develop some more explosion if he puts on weight. I don't see him at FS...I see him playing SS for Nick. That's just me.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 07:26 PM

The Cb's on this team are not the fastest but they need a safety far more. Unless Williams somehow drops to Miami they should go safety if the right player is there. This team gave up way way way to many long pass plays. That has a lot to do with the safety, the free safety to be exact. Shulters has not been fine. Like I said, he is out of position way too much. He's been OK, thats it.

Bell still needs time, thats why you only saw him near the end of the year. Injuries forced them to play him. He is getting much better in this system, and the best thing about him, is he has speed. He's excellent on special teams too. I personally think that Landry can step right in, and start.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I personally thing we could go either way. I like the idea of a field general, ball hawking FS, and Landry certaintly fits that bill, but I also think Shulters can be a contibuter on a playoff team, so the need isn't quite as big.

I do know are safeties are seting team records for sacks and all this year, but I think a play like Bing would make our saftey blitz's so much more effective. Bell has made some big plays this year, but how many times have you seen the SS creep up and blitz and just get tossed aside, exposing our secondary. A player like Bing could increase the chances that our blitz gets into the QB's face, boosting our secondarys chances of making a big play.

I see our attacking style of defense very similar to the Steelers. It is just awesome watching Polemalu come up to the line and take a good angle at the QB and smacking him in the face. I think we need a star in that position to duplicate their success and Bing just fits that profile for me. I wouldn't be upset at all with Landry or Huff, but my preference for big fast safeties is fully satisfied in a guy like Bing.

I can only say that you make good points, but to me, when a teams weakness is pass defense, it tells me that somewhere there is a serious flaw, and need of an upgrade. Howard will be gone for sure, but all those long pass plays this team gave up tells me that a cover safety is needed badly. Bringing in a guy like Landry would make Qb's think twice about going deep as much.

Like I said though. I really like Bing, but he gets hurt a lot.

DolphinsRising
12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I love him. Moreover most mock drafts I have seen dont even have him taken in the 1st round. The S from LSU may also be drafted 1st. Having said that my dream draft would go 1) Cutker and 2) Bing

That'd be a nice draft if Cutler does become a workout darling. A Greenwood/Bing 1-2 punch would be nice as well.

Ozzy
12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, raw is a way you play and Bell plays raw. I know he's 3rd year but he plays that way. And yes our safeties should definitely have more picks than they do. Tillman got three, Schulters has like two or three, but we should be looking at one safety who ends up with like 7 from all the pressure we've gotten and the other dude with like 3 or 4. We've gotten enough pressure and play enough zone to warrant that.

And its arguable that Landry wouldn't be any more raw than Travis Daniels, since he too will know Nick's system like the back of his hand. I would hardly call Daniels "raw" that's for sure.

And I'm not so sure Landry projects to free safety. I guess people look at his weight and project that but I think he's played strong safety all his time with Nick and he plays like a strong safety. Very good on blitz. Very sure tackler, can probably develop some more explosion if he puts on weight. I don't see him at FS...I see him playing SS for Nick. That's just me.

I would call Daniels pretty polished thanks to knowing the system. If he had more speed, he would have been talked about over Webster for sure.

I could have sworn I saw Landry at FS but I may have been wrong. He is a good tackler though, so with some added weight, he would still be perfect. He has nice height for a Safety. Being 6'3'' is an added bonus when seeing the field. But I do know one thing about him, he is a ball hawk. I really like that. Adding him would increase the chance of Int's and Sacks if you ask me.

saves
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
I can only say that you make good points, but to me, when a teams weakness is pass defense, it tells me that somewhere there is a serious flaw, and need of an upgrade. Howard will be gone for sure, but all those long pass plays this team gave up tells me that a cover safety is needed badly. Bringing in a guy like Landry would make Qb's think twice about going deep as much.

Like I said though. I really like Bing, but he gets hurt a lot.

I'm going to try to pay more attention to Landry tonight. I've never really "watched" him when I've seen LSU play. I remember the name and seeing him and hearing his name called when he makes a play, but I never thought he would be a prospect at this point for the fins. Maybe he'll show that he is tougher than I thought, and can be the effective blitzer and tackler I was talking about in my previous post. He is going up against some talented skill players so if theres anytime to showcase what talent you have, tonights the night.

Also I didn't know the injury concern was so great for Bing. I still think he is our ideal safety, but I'm going to have to look closer at both of them in their respective bowl games. Hell, maybe he decides to stay for his senior year and we end up with them both:D .

MonkeyDog
12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm going to try to pay more attention to Landry tonight. .

Tonights game will feature several players from both LSU/Miami that could be future Dolphins. Along with Landry, I'll be watching SS Jesse Daniels and WR Dwayne Bowe.

saves
12-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Tonights game will feature several players from both LSU/Miami that could be future Dolphins. Along with Landry, I'll be watching SS Jesse Daniels and WR Dwayne Bowe.

Don't foget Skylar Green. He could be a second day contributer.

finman006
12-30-2005, 08:02 PM
isnt he the son of CHANDLER BING out of NY? :tongue:

John Biello
12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
arent the safeties in sabans system more of a left right same responsibilities/ share responsibilties than a strong and free safety, i remember reading that earlier this year. if so it gives us more options, i would love to see us jump all over d in the draft cb lb and safety, along with ol and qb. landry has to be on nicks mind

saves
12-30-2005, 08:25 PM
arent the safeties in sabans system more of a left right same responsibilities/ share responsibilties than a strong and free safety, i remember reading that earlier this year. if so it gives us more options, i would love to see us jump all over d in the draft cb lb and safety, along with ol and qb. landry has to be on nicks mind

I think thats how the old defense was more or less set up.

Saban seems to use the two in a more traditional role, as the FS the coverage guy and the SS the tough close to the line guy.

SackArtist
12-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I've watched a few Texas games this year and I thought Huff was really good. I think he's the best Safety in this draft(not including Jimmy Williams CB/S). He can hit, cover, and has speed. He is also versatile because he has played Corner in the past. I think it's a big advantage to have a safety that can cover a WR one-on-one. With that said, I wouldn't be dissapointed with Landry or Bing because they're all good. Also look out if we win and the Atlanta Falcons lose this week because they would then move a spot ahead of us in the draft and likely select a safety because I hear they're not happy with their safetys. I heard they want harder hitting safetys and I guess Bing fits the bill.

FinNasty
12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't know how well he's recovering from the hip injury, but we can get Jason Allen in the 2nd, maybe even in the 3rd (not likely) if he really falls. I think he could be just as good at safety as anyone we can get in teh 1st round (assuming he recovers 100%).

I agree... Allen was a stud before he got hurt...

FinNasty
12-31-2005, 03:51 PM

Also, OLB Cameron Vaughn from LSU... a steal in the 3rd round...

kingfin
01-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Saban will not take a QB with the 16th pick.I told you all last year that Kyle Ortan will slip to the 4th round.I got chewed up for that one but i was right.I think Saban might see what im seeing.Right now Matt lineart and reggie get all the talks about.They got a strong safty named Darnell Bing.This kid can flat out play.Watch the game this week.this is how i see it. 16th pick Dolphins select Darnell Bing SS USC.Second round pick we will take Brady Quinn or Jay Cutler.One of them will be there.Like i said you Heard it here 1st

Hellion
01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't think Cutler will be there for us to draft, and unless Saban reaches for a QB we'll go defense in the 1st and hope Croyle is there in the second.

FinaticPatch
01-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Cutler will be gone in the first and Quinn isnt coming out and if he did would probably be a top 10-15 selection. Niether Cutler nor Quiin would fall to the 2nd let alone halfway down the 2nd.

phinfan2003
01-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Saban will not take a QB with the 16th pick.I told you all last year that Kyle Ortan will slip to the 4th round.I got chewed up for that one but i was right.I think Saban might see what im seeing.Right now Matt lineart and reggie get all the talks about.They got a strong safty named Darnell Bing.This kid can flat out play.Watch the game this week.this is how i see it. 16th pick Dolphins select Darnell Bing SS USC.Second round pick we will take Brady Quinn or Jay Cutler.One of them will be there.Like i said you Heard it here 1st

I could believe that you predicted Orton wouldn't be drafted in the top 3 rounds. Then again, I didn't see many mock drafts that had him in the top 3 in the first place. Quinn will stay another year and as far as Cutler is concerned, I don't think he falls out of the 1st round.

Miami_Dolphins
01-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I agree, miami should not take a QB 1st round. I feel bad for whoever does take cutler.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 10:30 AM

How do you have the Dolphins picking 16th...there were 15 teams with a worse record and 3 with the same 9-7 record, one of them San Diego...if head-to-head is the first tie breaker, then the Fins would pick 17th, but, it would depend on the tie breaker with Dallas and Minn.

Does anybody know what the tie breakers are ??

Finfanforever
01-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I agree, miami should not take a QB 1st round. I feel bad for whoever does take cutler.

Your another one that's killing me with your football knowledge! :sidelol:

Miami_Dolphins
01-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Your another one that's killing me with your football knowledge! :sidelol:

Im the same guy, bud...

:shakeno:

DolfanTom
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Cutler will be gone in the first and Quinn isnt coming out and if he did would probably be a top 10-15 selection. Niether Cutler nor Quiin would fall to the 2nd let alone halfway down the 2nd.
Exactly. And you could argue that Quinn could go ahead of Leinart if a team wanted to take a chance.

RUDEbyallMEANS
01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
How do you have the Dolphins picking 16th...there were 15 teams with a worse record and 3 with the same 9-7 record, one of them San Diego...if head-to-head is the first tie breaker, then the Fins would pick 17th, but, it would depend on the tie breaker with Dallas and Minn.

Does anybody know what the tie breakers are ??

The Miami Dolphins had the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL this year. The NFL draft order goes by record and when teams have the same record it goes by strength of schedule. Of all the teams tied with Miami at 9-7, Miami had the easiest schedule (opponents combined win/loss record).

Miami picks 16th in the 2006 NFL draft.

If Miami lost, Miami would of picked 15th (tied with Atlanta), but going down 1 pick is well worth the win in Foxboro

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 10:51 AM
The Miami Dolphins had the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL this year. The NFL draft order goes by record and when teams have the same record it goes by strength of schedule. Of all the teams tied with Miami at 9-7, Miami had the easiest schedule (opponents combined win/loss record).

If Miami lost, Miami would of picked 15th (tied with Atlanta), but going down 1 pick is well worth the win in Foxboro

Thank you!

BigDogsHunt
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM

We do pick 16th in the 1st round, but alternate with other 9-7 teams each and every other round (just like last year where we pick 2nd and Cleveland 3rd, but in the 2nd round they picked 2nd and we picked 3rd, alternated again in the 3rd, etc...)

Miami, SD, Dallas, and Minn will all be rotating at 9-7...would quess that means by the 5th round we get back to having the 16th (but we used that on Wright).

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 11:10 AM
We do pick 16th in the 1st round, but alternate with other 9-7 teams each and every other round (just like last year where we pick 2nd and Cleveland 3rd, but in the 2nd round they picked 2nd and we picked 3rd, alternated again in the 3rd, etc...)

Miami, SD, Dallas, and Minn will all be rotating at 9-7...would quess that means by the 5th round we get back to having the 16th (but we used that on Wright).

Thanks to you too !!

So, here is my prediction...

OL in 1st round - The kid from LSU
QB in 2nd round - Whitehurst ??
DL in 3rd round - Atkins from Miami if he comes out

They will sign a CB, LB and vet QB (McNair is my guess) as free agents.

Lederhosen
01-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I could agree that Fins will not draft a QB in rd 1

But until Quinn or Cutler break their legs, rob an old lady or burn the US flag they will not be there when the Fins draft in rd 2. No way.

Finfanforever
01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Im the same guy, bud...

:shakeno: Sorry about that...Lightning does strike twice...on occasion. :D

ether79
01-02-2006, 11:30 AM

If Quinn delared(won't) he would be a top 5 pick.

Finfanforever
01-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Kingfin,

I must admit I'm a little surprised at this post....you should KNOW that:

1. Quinn is NOT going to declare.
2. Cutler will NOT last into the 2nd round unless he has a disasterous Senior Bowl...which isn't likely.

JohnDolphin73
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
If Quinn declares himself elgible for the draft, which is still a possiblity, he would be an easy top 15 to top 10 pick. Cutler would be more towards the end of the first more to the beginning of the second. With the quality of players available on defense will push Cutlers stock down. Quinn is our best option if we draft a QB in the first round, otherwise we need to draft defense.

BigDogsHunt
01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
For me its just way to early to speculate. I will wait for all the underclassman to declare to figure out who the players are, and the final bowl games and Senior Bowl & Combines to take place before I jump to conclusions on what our options are.

Right now, I think its all hype pushing Cutler into the middle first.....he is a mid 30th overall talent in reality. And thats not bad since alot of folks compare him to Favre, and Farve went 2nd round 33rd overall.

aerokev
01-02-2006, 12:21 PM

16th pick bing at safety? i would take huff if a safety is the pick which i doubt.

quinn or cutler in the 2nd round? quinn if he declares is the best QB in the draft and there is no way that he would drop to round 2, cutler probably doesn't drop to 2nd either.

orton dropped to round 4 last year, i actually thought he would drop to round 5-7 because of his arm strength. i know that the bears won even though he was the worst rated QB in the league, but he will be out of the league within 3 years.

tylerdolphin
01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Do people here think that QB is the only position that a player can bust? Why would we not take a Qb in Rd1 if one is there? Scared he might not work out? A defensive player can blow just as easy as a QB...

aerokev
01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I could believe that you predicted Orton wouldn't be drafted in the top 3 rounds. Then again, I didn't see many mock drafts that had him in the top 3 in the first place. Quinn will stay another year and as far as Cutler is concerned, I don't think he falls out of the 1st round.

as far as orton you are right, it wasn't that he dropped to the 4th, he was picked ahead of where he was supposed to by going in the 4th round. mcpherson was rated higher by everyone and didn't go until round 5

FinSinceBirth
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks to you too !!

If we take a Qb in the second round, I think we should take Croyle instead of Whitehurst.

saves
01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd be fine with a safety at 16.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM

:rolleyes2

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
16th pick bing at safety? i would take huff if a safety is the pick which i doubt.

quinn or cutler in the 2nd round? quinn if he declares is the best QB in the draft and there is no way that he would drop to round 2, cutler probably doesn't drop to 2nd either.

orton dropped to round 4 last year, i actually thought he would drop to round 5-7 because of his arm strength. i know that the bears won even though he was the worst rated QB in the league, but he will be out of the league within 3 years.

Why not a safety, or a CB...Sean Taylor was the 5th pick last year, and there were 3 DB's picked before the 16th pick in the '03 draft....there are several great DB's this year, including Huff and Bing...the kid from Clemson, Tye Hall, is supposed to also be great. Plus, Jimmy Williams is rated very high. But, Saban will pick the best athlete, regardless of need. Based on the fact that 3 of his biggest needs (aside QB) are DB, DL and OL, there is plenty of talent in the draft to still pick the best available player and fill a need.

aerokev
01-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Why not a safety, or a CB...Sean Taylor was the 5th pick last year, and there were 3 DB's picked before the 16th pick in the '03 draft....there are several great DB's this year, including Huff and Bing...the kid from Clemson, Tye Hall, is supposed to also be great. Plus, Jimmy Williams is rated very high. But, Saban will pick the best athlete, regardless of need. Based on the fact that 3 of his biggest needs (aside QB) are DB, DL and OL, there is plenty of talent in the draft to still pick the best available player and fill a need.

my quote was not the safety at pick 16, which i would be fine with, it was pointing out that huff would be the pick not bing even though both should be available.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
my quote was not the safety at pick 16, which i would be fine with, it was pointing out that huff would be the pick not bing even though both should be available.

I thought you meant a DB would not be a good pick with 16th ("if a safety is the pick which i doubt").

In any event, even if none of the elite QB's are available with 16th, there is plenty of talent in our other areas of needs to make a sound selection.

My prediction still is an OL...the stud from LSU would be my pick. He manhandled the Hurricanes in the Peach Bowl.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 01:12 PM
If we take a Qb in the second round, I think we should take Croyle instead of Whitehurst.

Whitehurst is bigger and more polished in my opinion...plus you can't knock the bloodline (his dad, although not great, played in the NFL).

Regardless...a QB in the 2nd round is the way to go.

schytaxi
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Culter Is A Top 15 Pick Quinn If Come Out Is A Top 10 Pick

Hellion
01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Do people here think that QB is the only position that a player can bust? Why would we not take a Qb in Rd1 if one is there? Scared he might not work out? A defensive player can blow just as easy as a QB...

I think only the thread starter mentioned skipping a QB in the first round. The rest of us are saying a QB worth the #16 overall pick won't be there to pick, therefore we go in another direction and pick a QB in the 2nd round.

Caps
01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
IF we don't take Cutler in the first, he won't last past Dallas. So if we want him, it's gotta be with the 16th.

Rick 1966
01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
We will be drafting DB sometime in the first or second round.

Finfanforever
01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
IF we don't take Cutler in the first, he won't last past Dallas. So if we want him, it's gotta be with the 16th.

I absolutely agree 110%

cowtowndick
01-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I think only the thread starter mentioned skipping a QB in the first round. The rest of us are saying a QB worth the #16 overall pick won't be there to pick, therefore we go in another direction and pick a QB in the 2nd round.

totally agree, and i'll go one further: qb's like croyle and whitehurst aren't worth a second round pick either, so we should keep looking. yes, i'll be happy with whatever coach saban decides, and this is just my opinion, but i just don't see croyle being the starter, even in three years. imo, i'd take cutler if he's there at 16; if he isn't, then i wouldn't think qb until rounds 3+, if at all.

Hellion
01-02-2006, 01:50 PM

I agree, BUT will he be there? And plus I'm sure it will all depend on combine results and hype and all the things that go into promoting a player once an agent is hired.

Caps
01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree, BUT will he be there? And plus I'm sure it will all depend on combine results and hype and all the things that go into promoting a player once an agent is hired.

The Saints, Arizona, Tennesse and Detroit are the only teams that are picking ahead of us that really need a QB. The Saints will get Leinart. Tennesse is picking at #3 I beleive, which is way too high for Cutler, no matter how good he does in the senior bowl and combine. Detroit has too much money tied up with Joey Harrington, even if they cut him, to pick another top 10 QB. Arizona is the only team we really have to worry about getting Cutler before us IMO. If Vince Young comes out, they probably take him there and we take Cutler if we want him.

cltchperf
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I still think Miami needs possibly one more Offensive lineman, possibly a tackle, so when would/or should they get them in?

aerokev
01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
The Saints, Arizona, Tennesse and Detroit are the only teams that are picking ahead of us that really need a QB. The Saints will get Leinart. Tennesse is picking at #3 I beleive, which is way too high for Cutler, no matter how good he does in the senior bowl and combine. Detroit has too much money tied up with Joey Harrington, even if they cut him, to pick another top 10 QB. Arizona is the only team we really have to worry about getting Cutler before us IMO. If Vince Young comes out, they probably take him there and we take Cutler if we want him.

also oakland and buffalo

Caps
01-02-2006, 02:43 PM
also oakland and buffalo

Oakland has Andrew Walter and Buffalo can't just give up on Losman after 1 year.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
also oakland and buffalo

also the Jets

Caps
01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
also the Jets

The Jets pick at #4, which is way too high to take Cutler. But they won't be looking for a QB in the first anyway, they have way too much money invested in Pennington.

OneHondo
01-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought Dallas had Drew Henson in the wings being groomed to take over at QB?

finsnchips
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
hmmm... unfortunately Quinn wont be coming out, and if he does he's a top 5 pick.

Cutler will be a top 15 pick.

I think we take a guy like Greenway, or whoever slips to #16, we'll get value with our pick.

Caps
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I thought Dallas had Drew Henson in the wings being groomed to take over at QB?

Henson is garbage. Nobody in Dallas has any faith in him.

phinfanNY08
01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks to you too !!

Why the heck would you even want McNair in Miami. His best days are gone. This is not the Wanny Era, Saban doesn't want McNair. He will stick with Gus as our Vet.

1- QB
2- CB
3- WR

OneHondo
01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Not being a Henson fan but just being curious, what did Dallas give up to get Henson?

Caps
01-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Not being a Henson fan but just being curious, what did Dallas give up to get Henson?

A third rounder. And he hasn't even been able to beat out Tony Romo for the #2 spot.