PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Most Eulogized Persons Online list of 2005

Jt0323
12-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Click Here (http://channels.netscape.com/celebrity/story.jsp?id=2005122107473522275537&dt=20051221074700&w=PR&coview=)

The Legacy.com Top 10 Most Eulogized Persons Online:
1. Rosa Parks (civil rights pioneer)
2. Luther Vandross (R&B singer)
3. Eddie Guerrero (wrestling superstar)
4. Pope John Paul II (leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics)
5. Terri Schiavo (brain-damaged woman involved in epic legal battle)
6. Johnnie Cochran (lawyer who helped clear O.J. Simpson)
7. Peter Jennings (ABC news broadcaster)
8. Joseph Ashley (soldier killed in submarine accident)
9. Lamont Bentley (a regular in the 1990s TV sitcom "Moesha")
10. Ossie Davis (actor known for roles dealing with racial injustice

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 02:45 AM
Just goes to show how ****ed-up this country is, that the Pope is fourth on that list. Behind the ****ing wrestler and the soul singer.

d-day
12-31-2005, 02:46 AM
Just goes to show how ****ed-up this country is, that the Pope is fourth on that list. Behind the ****ing wrestler and the soul singer.

don't let barry white hear you say that... :wink:

Jt0323
12-31-2005, 02:50 AM

i agree, i think the top 2 should of been Rosa Parks and the Pope John Paul

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 02:57 AM
i agree, i think the top 2 should of been Rosa Parks and the Pope John Paul

Yeah, I mean I can understand that Rosa Parks would be eulogized more than the Pope here, that just makes sense given who she was and what she meant to the country.

And I have nothing against Luther - Vandross, that is - he was a great singer and even Barry white says Luther's his favorite soul guy. But ahead of the Pope? C'mon.

d-day
12-31-2005, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I mean I can understand that Rosa Parks would be eulogized more than the Pope here, that just makes sense given who she was and what she meant to the country.

And I have nothing against Luther - Vandross, that is - he was a great singer and even Barry white says Luther's his favorite soul guy. But ahead of the Pope? C'mon.

where is barry white tonight... :hmmm: - i saw him in the 3am thread last night...

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 03:02 AM
where is barry white tonight... :hmmm: - i saw him in the 3am thread last night...

Pobably bangin'...sorry, making love to his woman du jour. Or maybe lurking.

d-day
12-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Pobably bangin'...sorry, making love to his woman du jour. Or maybe lurking.

:eyebrow:

Prime Time
12-31-2005, 04:06 AM
WTF? The wrestler died this year...show some respect.

woody1351
12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
1. Pope John Paul II

Talos
12-31-2005, 05:25 PM
People are aware that not everyone is catholic right? Especially an active catholic. I guarantee you all the kids who use the internet care more about "The Wrestler" than they do about the Pope.

mor911
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Dude, the Pope is only important if your catholic :lol:

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 05:52 PM

Not really. I'm the furthest from Catholic that you'll find, yet I recognize that this particular Pope stood for ethics and ideals far greater than any church. He was a decent, loving man who persevered through his debilitating illness to continue his life's work, ministering to his flock.

Whatever religion you are, you can't fail to recognize that a man with so much love in his heart that he took the confession of the man who tried to assassinate him, and gave him the peace of absolution for his sin, is far more a figure than we should memorialize than a wrestler, however tragic and unfortunate that wrestler's demise was.

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
People are aware that not everyone is catholic right? Especially an active catholic. I guarantee you all the kids who use the internet care more about "The Wrestler" than they do about the Pope.

:shakeno: And that, right there, is what I'm talking about.

HysterikiLL
12-31-2005, 06:03 PM
What about Johnny Carson?

Talos
12-31-2005, 08:18 PM
:shakeno: And that, right there, is what I'm talking about.

You're talking about the fact that America's youth is more interested in entertainment than religion or philosophical views?

I don't care at all about the WWE. I haven't watched wrestling in 10-15 years for even a minute, but when I was a kid, it was entertaining. That's what your youth is for, to enjoy yourself. When I was a kid, I didn't care about the Pope, I didn't want to go to church, I didn't want to learn great moral lessons. I wanted to watch tv, or play games. I don't think that made me a terrible person. Maybe thats just me.

Talos
12-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Whatever religion you are, you can't fail to recognize that a man with so much love in his heart that he took the confession of the man who tried to assassinate him, and gave him the peace of absolution for his sin, is far more a figure than we should memorialize than a wrestler, however tragic and unfortunate that wrestler's demise was.

Also...

There are those in his own church who wished he would not have done that, as there were many people who felt that he was not worthy of absolution.

and in the end, what you're concern is about is a moot point, because in 15 years no one is going to worry about the death of Eddie Guerrero, but the Pope's memory will prevail. Youth has a short attention span.

kastofsna120
12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
i've always loved the fact that the pope had his little popemobile to ride around in

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 08:35 PM
You're talking about the fact that America's youth is more interested in entertainment than religion or philosophical views?

I don't care at all about the WWE. I haven't watched wrestling in 10-15 years for even a minute, but when I was a kid, it was entertaining. That's what your youth is for, to enjoy yourself. When I was a kid, I didn't care about the Pope, I didn't want to go to church, I didn't want to learn great moral lessons. I wanted to watch tv, or play games. I don't think that made me a terrible person. Maybe thats just me.

It's you that's extrapolating that people who want to have fun are "terrible people." I never said that, and if you think I did, it's your misunderstanding.

I have plenty of fun, more than my share in fact, I'm happy to say. But I also have room in my life for recognizing the truly good among us. I swear to you, it really isn't that freakin' big of an effort, all you have to do is look around you, you should try it.

I play plenty, and yet somehow I find time to read about most religions, (I'm non-denominational in my beliefs) science, politics - the real world in other words, the one we all live in.

I'm not unique nor exceptional, nor am I that much more intelligent than the average person, nor do I have scads of free time. But somewhere along the line I got the impression that what goes on around me can be of great interest, if I just paid attention. It's not for everyone, but do you propose that it's not for anyone?

The problem that I have with this mentality is that it culminates in a society which places greater value on entertainment than on the things that really affect our lives, things that really matter; will history recall 2005 as the year that a wrestler died, or the year in which Pope John Paul II died?

I saw this poll as a symptom of that, and I expressed my opinion. I'm sorry that that got under your skin, but your reactions to my statements aren't my responsibility, they're yours.

Regardless, I respect your opinion and hope that you can at least respect mine, disagree though you will.

Prime Time
12-31-2005, 08:44 PM
I liked the Pope and let him RIP. That being said, kids would prefer playing Nintendo 7 Days a Week, then watch a movie on the Pope. People's youth is to have fun and be stress free. There is a reason why they are called kids. They debate Football, Music etc. Not politics and money issues until they are adults and have responsibilities etc.

SCall13
12-31-2005, 09:06 PM

I agree! :lol:

RunningBackGuru
12-31-2005, 09:16 PM

Yeah, that's pretty messed.

Talos
12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I have plenty of fun, more than my share in fact, I'm happy to say. But I also have room in my life for recognizing the truly good among us. I swear to you, it really isn't that freakin' big of an effort, all you have to do is look around you, you should try it.

The problem that I have with this mentality is that it culminates in a society which places greater value on entertainment than on the things that really affect our lives, things that really matter; will history recall 2005 as the year that a wrestler died, or the year in which Pope John Paul II died?

I saw this poll as a symptom of that, and I expressed my opinion. I'm sorry that that got under your skin, but your reactions to my statements aren't my responsibility, they're yours.

Regardless, I respect your opinion and hope that you can at least respect mine, disagree though you will.

The point I was trying to make Nabo, was simply that it isn't the society that places the greater value, its the youth of the society. The Pope was an important figure and will be remembered, but kids just don't care and there are tons of kids that use the 'net.

I respect your opinion and I don't entirely disagree with you, I'm just saying that you feel that it's society as a whole that made this poll so lopsided, but a lot of people who paid their respects to John Paul II did so in a church. The youth of America that watches WWE logged online, and paid tribute to Eddie Guerrero through the method they had, an online guestbook. This wasn't a poll of who received more prayers, more eulogies, more good tidings. It was a poll of who received the most warm wishes through the internet, an entertainment medium, so it's not overly shocking that an entertainer rated so highly.

In the end, the more prominent figure of the Pope will outlast all of the others on this list, including more than likely, Rosa Parks.

If anything this poll showed something positive to me. The fact that the #8 person on the list, was a soldier who died that I've never heard the name of before, is a great honor to the soldier and shows the dedication of his friends and family. I'm amazed that someone that before this year no one knew who he was beat out people who make their livings in Hollywood.

NaboCane
12-31-2005, 10:29 PM
The point I was trying to make Nabo, was simply that it isn't the society that places the greater value, its the youth of the society. The Pope was an important figure and will be remembered, but kids just don't care and there are tons of kids that use the 'net.

I respect your opinion and I don't entirely disagree with you, I'm just saying that you feel that it's society as a whole that made this poll so lopsided, but a lot of people who paid their respects to John Paul II did so in a church. The youth of America that watches WWE logged online, and paid tribute to Eddie Guerrero through the method they had, an online guestbook. This wasn't a poll of who received more prayers, more eulogies, more good tidings. It was a poll of who received the most warm wishes through the internet, an entertainment medium, so it's not overly shocking that an entertainer rated so highly.

In the end, the more prominent figure of the Pope will outlast all of the others on this list, including more than likely, Rosa Parks.

If anything this poll showed something positive to me. The fact that the #8 person on the list, was a soldier who died that I've never heard the name of before, is a great honor to the soldier and shows the dedication of his friends and family. I'm amazed that someone that before this year no one knew who he was beat out people who make their livings in Hollywood.

I gotcha man. I appreciate the sentiment; now let's go ring in 2006!

HysterikiLL
01-01-2006, 04:12 AM
I liked the Pope and let him RIP. That being said, kids would prefer playing Nintendo 7 Days a Week, then watch a movie on the Pope. People's youth is to have fun and be stress free. There is a reason why they are called kids. They debate Football, Music etc. Not politics and money issues until they are adults and have responsibilities etc.

Prefer playing Nintendo? :lol: Man, c'mon, this is 2006!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gifhttp://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/snes1-1.jpg

ih8brady
01-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Prefer playing Nintendo? :lol: Man, c'mon, this is 2006!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gifhttp://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/snes1-1.jpg
Who plays Nintendo?
Kids stuck with hand me downs from 1986?

FIN-IN-RI
01-01-2006, 10:46 AM
i miss luther

Prime Time
01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I was just saying...video games over reading. :lol: Ima get that 360 and Ps3...