PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Chad Greenway

studsatele
12-23-2005, 06:11 PM
what would this guy bring to the defense? how large is he? how does he compare to aj hawk? should we choose him over someone like jimmy williams, laron landry, darnell bing or another top db.

Dors156
12-23-2005, 06:15 PM
we dont need a first round linebacker.there are a lot of linebackers.in the third round we can get a good linebacker like nick reid(big 12 defensive player of the year)

dolfanben
12-23-2005, 06:15 PM
what would this guy bring to the defense? how large is he? how does he compare to aj hawk? should we choose him over someone like jimmy williams, laron landry, darnell bing or another top db.

he is really thick, and incredibly fast, so it isnt unrealistic to have him as a strong safety... a lot of people have him going in the top ten, which means we wouldnt have a shot at him without trading. the knock on him is this. he had a great couple years at iowa when they had a d line that was tops in the nation (all four are getting some time in the nfl now) but this year after they all graduated, he really struggled shedding blockers... that being said, he still got a ton of tackles.... great player

RAS25
12-23-2005, 06:18 PM
he brings alot he is a very good all around LB he is good in coverage good blitzer and a great tackler he is a great leader and has a motor that doesnt stop....he is 6-4 245 and runs a 4.5 40...i dont think he is as good as hawk but he is still very very good i would choose him over those 4 he could come and immedietley fill seaus spot...he seem like a perfect fit for sabans D..lets bring him to the phins :up:

dolfanben
12-23-2005, 06:26 PM
another thing, saban has seen him in person while at LSU... if he is available when we come up, i trust saban's judgment... i would love to see him in miami

ckparrothead
12-23-2005, 06:35 PM
He is coached by Kirk Ferentz, who is pretty close with Nick from their days in Cleveland together.

Greenway is a different player from Hawk. He's a bigger guy that could play end-of-the-line linebacker and would hopefully make a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage as a strong side linebacker. Hawk I would think is more like a weak side linebacker or a middle linebacker. He'll make plays in coverage and by biltzing.

Greenway also has the kind of mental toughness and meanness that Saban covets.

Alien
12-23-2005, 06:38 PM
this guy is physically amazing, i dont think ive ever seen a linebacker have such good hips and coverage ability, his ability to change direction and accelerate is incredible for how big he is, hes strong, fast, and very smart, at least on the football field, i dont know his gpa and stuff. but hes ALWAYS around the ball, if he is the first one there for the tackle he is only a split second later away from the ball. as compared to a.j. hawk, hes not quite at that level, a.j. hawk i beleive is much more intense and is just an absolute demon out on the field, both are top prospects and both will someday probably be pro bowlers, id be very happy with greenway if we took him, but i still think jay cutler is the best pic if he was there when we came up.

ckparrothead
12-23-2005, 06:41 PM
So perhaps it might be said that Chad Greenway is Cadillac Williams to AJ Hawk's Ronnie Brown. LOL.

DUB
12-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Chad Greenway LB 6’4 244 Iowa
By: Robert Davis

After redshirting as a freshman at Iowa, Greenway lost most of his second season because of a knee injury suffered in the spring. Once healthy, Greenway has taken the country by storm. As a redshirt sophomore in 2003, Greenway posted 132 tackles, 13 for loss, and two sacks on his way to earning All Big 10 honors. He had another standout season as a junior, finishing the year with 113 tackles, eight for loss, three sacks, and three interceptions. He racked up more post season honors, again being named to the All Big 10 team, and this time earning various All American awards. Greenway was also voted to the Playboy AA team just before this season.

Chad Greenway is the prototypical linebacker prospect. He’s tall, strong, but still has very good speed and athleticism. He’s strong enough to take on blockers, but fast enough to play sideline to sideline. He is around the action on every play, and possesses excellent football intelligence.

It is hard to find knocks in Greenway’s game. He can do it all on the field. If pressed to criticize some parts of his game, he does not always show the awareness in coverage that his physical talent suggests. He also has never made too much of an impact as a pass rusher, but he is not asked to get after the QB very often. Even though the linebacker position has become less of an attractive position in the first round, Greenway looks like a solid bet to be a first rounder. He is in a very close race with A.J. Hawk for the top senior linebacker, and it just is a matter of opinion depending on who you talk to. He should be a standout linebacker at the next level, and whoever gets him will be very happy.

ckparrothead
12-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Hmm, I hope he improves on that pass rush in the pros...

rod557
12-23-2005, 07:01 PM
i am a big ten fan and greenway is very talented but aj hawk is the best lb in this draft by far.

utahphinsfan
12-23-2005, 07:09 PM
we dont need a first round linebacker.there are a lot of linebackers.in the third round we can get a good linebacker like nick reid(big 12 defensive player of the year)

The only LB's that have impressed me are Ahmad Brooks & NickReid

IAFINFAN
12-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Hmm, I hope he improves on that pass rush in the pros...

Iowas doesn't blitz their LB's, hence the huge tackle numbers. He would be amazing if they blitz him some more but Iowa uses their front 4 on the DL to rush the passer and their LB just fill gaps to stop the run and block passing lanes.

Nicky Napoleon
12-23-2005, 11:26 PM
I would take Greenway in a heartbeat, he will start right away and would do very well as Seau's replacement.

adamprez2003
12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Greenway is the best coverage linebacker of the big three (brooks, hawk, greenway) I would be thrilled getting him

Danny
12-24-2005, 02:39 AM
I'd take him with our top pick if he's there and I think is gonna be close...he should go around 15 but he could go a little earlier...if Cutler's gone then Greenway's the guy I hope we take.

Ozzy rules!! :rockon: :guitar:

Go Italy 2006 world cup

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 04:19 AM
He is #18... check him out on ESPN... we may end up drafting him round 1...

Alex44
01-03-2006, 04:34 AM
on where? ESPN?

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 04:44 AM
on where? ESPN?

oops... ya... on ESPN...

Motion
01-03-2006, 04:47 AM
They replaying the Outback Bowl?

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 04:48 AM
They replaying the Outback Bowl?

If that is the Florida-Iowa game... then ya...

Motion
01-03-2006, 04:50 AM
If that is the Florida-Iowa game... then ya...

Yeah, Abdul Hodge GREATLY out played Greenway in that game.

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah, Abdul Hodge GREATLY out played Greenway in that game.

really? who is Abdul Hodge and what # is he?

Motion
01-03-2006, 04:56 AM
really? who is Abdul Hodge and what # is he?

Another Iowa LB, #52 I think it was. You know soon if your watching, he broke the Outback Bowl record for tackles. And he had a huge hit on that pansy Chris Leak. :lol:

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 05:04 AM
Another Iowa LB, #52 I think it was. You know soon if your watching, he broke the Outback Bowl record for tackles. And he had a huge hit on that pansy Chris Leak. :lol:

ya, I just looked it up... he is #52. I will keep an eye out for him.

ps - I just saw that catch Baker made... it was sick...

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:05 AM
ya, I just looked it up... he is #52. I will keep an eye out for him.

ps - I just saw that catch Baker made... it was sick...

Yeah, Baker had a great game.

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Yeah, Baker had a great game.

hey, as a UF fan... have you seen Cameron Vaughn play at all for LSU? If so... what is your take on him?

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Yo Speed... the refs are giving you Christmas presents left and right in this game...

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Yo Speed... the refs are giving you Christmas presents left and right in this game...

Yes, there are a few threads on that topic. :goof: Worst officiated game I've seen in a long time.

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:22 AM
hey, as a UF fan... have you seen Cameron Vaughn play at all for LSU? If so... what is your take on him?

I like him, he'd be a solid pick in the 3rd, maybe 4th, if we don't take a LB sooner. I really liked what I saw from Abdul Hodge today as well.

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Yes, there are a few threads on that topic. :goof: Worst officiated game I've seen in a long time.

:sidelol: I mean really though... this is rediculous! :sidelol:

FinNasty
01-03-2006, 05:26 AM
I like him, he'd be a solid pick in the 3rd, maybe 4th, if we don't take a LB sooner. I really liked what I saw from Abdul Hodge today as well.

tru... I havent seen alot of him yet, but I plan on scouting him as well... how many tackles did he end with?

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:30 AM
tru... I havent seen alot of him yet, but I plan on scouting him as well... how many tackles did he end with?

Not sure exactly, it was in the teens though.

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:31 AM
:sidelol: I mean really though... this is rediculous! :sidelol:

Wait til the end. Florida had a few go against them too but yeah some of those calls on Iowa were BS.

Jaj
01-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Greenway would be a great pick at 16. I'm waiting to see if a big time OLB like Carpenter though might be available in the 3rd round. If he is he's our starting SLB right there on the spot.

Motion
01-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Greenway would be a great pick at 16.

Alot of people having been saying that, But I just don't see the value. He was a complete non factor in their bowl game today, unless you count his offsides on the kick at the end. :goof:

Jaj
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
You can't judged all he's accomplished just like that...

I know for a fact Nick will take the talent when it's available. I hope to see more steals this year.

Alex44
01-03-2006, 06:32 AM

2nd worst

The worst was a few days ago

Michigan vs Nebraska

It looked like the refs were watching a totally differnt game

Although this ranks a very close #2 and Iowa should have won really

Motion
01-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Although this ranks a very close #2 and Iowa should have won really

Now I was the first to say the refs were terrible, but that right there is what I have a problem with. To say the refs cost them the game or they "should" have won is BS. They looked like a high school team out there in the first half yet people wanna say that that one play at the end cost them the game. BS! They wouldn't have been in that postion if they had played better to begin with, plain and simple. They got outplayed in the first half and outplayed Florida in the second half, but don't tell me that call cost them the game or the "should" have won.

Motion
01-03-2006, 07:17 AM
You can't judged all he's accomplished just like that...

I know for a fact Nick will take the talent when it's available. I hope to see more steals this year.

I'm not judging him on one game, obviously. I just think there are better options IMO.

ckparrothead
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm not judging him on one game, obviously. I just think there are better options IMO.

I agree with your assessment about Hodge and Greenway in the Outback Bowl. Hodge just flat out had a better game. But, the reason he did was because UF is such a spread-out wide open offense under Meyer and that's not really Greenway's style even though he's pretty gifted in coverage. What Greenway showed is that he has to add a few tricks to his game if he wants to earn a nickel LB spot in this defense (as in he and Zach are the duo linebackers in the nickel package). He could obviously nail down the starting strong side spot, the question would then be how long until he's a player you can keep in on 3rd downs.

But Greenway is a huge man, a gifted athlete with incredible intensity and attitude, and he's got a very good nose for the ball going against more traditional offenses. He would be a no-brainer at #16, a stalwart on Saban's defense for many years.

Nonetheless, I think the Iowa-FL game and the Bama-TxTech game showed that if the Dolphins had a choice between Demeco Ryans and Chad Greenway, they'd damn well better consider taking Demeco over Chad despite size differences. Ryans had a similar task against TxTech, which is to say he was facing a spread offense that is not favorable toward linebackers. Against the spread usually if the D is going to take over it has to be led by the DL and the DBs. But Ryans positively impacted the game anyway by putting pressure on Cody Hodges in blitz, being a very good spy on the surprisingly fast Hodges when he scrambles, and in coverage. Ryans was a big reason why Bama held TxTech the way they did. I feel like Ryans is a guy that could nail down the starting strong side spot as a rookie, also be a nickel LB, and when Zach eventually leaves or retires, and Channing moves to middle, Demeco could move to the weak side...then we'd have to get another strong side guy.

Jaj
01-03-2006, 04:54 PM
I agree with your assessment about Hodge and Greenway in the Outback Bowl. Hodge just flat out had a better game. But, the reason he did was because UF is such a spread-out wide open offense under Meyer and that's not really Greenway's style even though he's pretty gifted in coverage. What Greenway showed is that he has to add a few tricks to his game if he wants to earn a nickel LB spot in this defense (as in he and Zach are the duo linebackers in the nickel package). He could obviously nail down the starting strong side spot, the question would then be how long until he's a player you can keep in on 3rd downs.

But Greenway is a huge man, a gifted athlete with incredible intensity and attitude, and he's got a very good nose for the ball going against more traditional offenses. He would be a no-brainer at #16, a stalwart on Saban's defense for many years.

Nonetheless, I think the Iowa-FL game and the Bama-TxTech game showed that if the Dolphins had a choice between Demeco Ryans and Chad Greenway, they'd damn well better consider taking Demeco over Chad despite size differences. Ryans had a similar task against TxTech, which is to say he was facing a spread offense that is not favorable toward linebackers. Against the spread usually if the D is going to take over it has to be led by the DL and the DBs. But Ryans positively impacted the game anyway by putting pressure on Cody Hodges in blitz, being a very good spy on the surprisingly fast Hodges when he scrambles, and in coverage. Ryans was a big reason why Bama held TxTech the way they did. I feel like Ryans is a guy that could nail down the starting strong side spot as a rookie, also be a nickel LB, and when Zach eventually leaves or retires, and Channing moves to middle, Demeco could move to the weak side...then we'd have to get another strong side guy.

Which is way easier than getting a WLB. Anyway if we sign Peterson this could be irrelevant as we won't look to LB in the first two rounds.