PDA

View Full Version : 2-headed snake for sale on E-Bay

SCall13
01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I have no link to the E-Bay page, but I posted the story that AOL has on the front page:
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060103033809990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001 This is the AOL story link.

Story:ST. LOUIS, Missouri (Jan. 3) - For sale: One snake. Albino. Has two heads. Asking $150,000 or best offer.
The World Aquarium in St. Louis has been home to We, a one-of-a-kind two-headed albino rat snake, since 1999. President Leonard Sonnenschein has decided to sell the reptile, and bidding on e-Bay will start at $150,000.

"It's an amazing snake," Sonnenschein said Monday. "When people see it they are awestruck."

The 6 1/2-year-old snake came to the aquarium's attention when its previous owner distributed a circular offering it for sale days after its birth. The aquarium paid $15,000, knowing that most two-headed snakes don't live more than a few months.

But We has survived and thrived. An inch thick and 4 feet long, she is a healthy size for a rat snake. While her body is white, the heads have a reddish appearance.

We has survived because, unlike some two-headed animals, both mouths are connected to the same stomach, Sonnenschein said.

Van Wallach of Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology said We should live an additional 10 to 15 years. And Sonnenschein said it's at a ripe age for breeding.

"We expect the sale of We to be on the same level of demand as a priceless art object," he said.

The snake has been in the spotlight before. In 2004, a disgruntled City Museum worker stole We. Authorities found the snake in the garage of the man's home in Illinois.

"He thought he was going to sell it," Sonnenschein said. "The thing is, it's the only one in the world."

mor911
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
You'd think that the The World Aquarium in St. Louis would keep the damn thing...

It's amazing what people do for money. Instead of being the only aquarium in the world to have a 2 headed snake, they'd rather pocket the $150,000+ that some shmuck will pay for it. If they need the money it's one thing... But it sounds like they just want money and publicity.

FinHeathen
01-03-2006, 11:36 AM
You'd think that the The World Aquarium in St. Louis would keep the damn thing...

It's amazing what people do for money. Instead of being the only aquarium in the world to have a 2 headed snake, they'd rather pocket the $150,000+ that some shmuck will pay for it. If they need the money it's one thing... But it sounds like they just want money and publicity.

Yeah, because you see so many aquariums raking in the big bucks. Of course they need the money! Also, heh heh.. two-headed snake..

UltraDol-Fan
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I hope a zoo buys it, that would be something cool to go see.

GRAPEAPE
01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Some crazy eccentric billionaire will probably buy it and have it stuffed. My Michael Jackson will put it with the elephant man.