PDA

View Full Version : Children no safer in SUVs than cars

BAMAPHIN 22
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Children are no safer riding in sport utility vehicles than in passenger cars, largely because the doubled risk of rollovers in SUVs cancels out the safety advantages of their greater size and weight, according to a study.Researchers said the findings dispel the bigger-equals-safer myth that has helped fuel the growing popularity of SUVs among families. SUV registrations climbed 250 percent in the United States between 1995 and 2002.

“We’re not saying they’re worse or that they’re terrible vehicles. We’re challenging the conventional wisdom that everyone assumed they were better,” said Dr. Dennis Durbin, a pediatric emergency physician who took part in the study, published Tuesday in the journal Pediatrics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10683183/

GRAPEAPE
01-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I am not a father yet(March 06) but I am going to feel much safer driving around in my 05 explorer then i would in a camry, maxima, or any other sedan. Everyone else on the road has an suv, they are big and bulky and the idiot behind the wheel is the cause for most problem IMO. I am protecting myself from them driving like fools, not my child from me driving like a fool. I would like to think I am more responsible then that.

UltraDol-Fan
01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
agreed, rolling over an SUV usually means the driver is an idiot.

NJFINSFAN1
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, while driving from Denver to Crested Butte this feb, I will be driving in an Expedition, not a car!

Let the so called experts take the neon!

dominizzo
01-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Volvo is making a great car that is safe

HVACservice
01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, while driving from Denver to Crested Butte this feb, I will be driving in an Expedition, not a car!

Let the so called experts take the neon!

I dont care either way....I own a sedan(03,Lexus) and an SUV.(01, Tahoe)

A Neon/Lexus/sedan can avoid the accident altogether.

Where my Tahoe`s "Emergency handling" and long "brake distance" are terrible.

Not to mention its propensity to roll over.

I feel safer in the Lexus.