PDA

View Full Version : PC Geeks...i have a question..need urgent help

aquaattak
01-04-2006, 12:01 AM
how do i determine what the default settings for a processor are in the bios? I got into the bios and touched the wrong thing and now my daughters pc isnt running right....i tried seeing what it was in My Computer and it changes everytime i change something in the bios...HELP!!!! I tried googling but to no avail...please please help before i pull out my hair!!

Processor??? PIII SIS-900.hope that helps

FinHeathen
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
It's hard to say for sure, not being abletolook at it, what the correct settings are. If the machine is posting and allowing you into the BIOS config, you should be able to trial and error your way down to the correct settings. Essentially, I would guess that you set your frontside bus to operate at a faster clock speed than the memory can handle.. The cycles being out of sync causes explosivo. If the machine isn't posting at all, (power is on, but screen stays black) you would need to short the CMOS (battery looking thing) on the motherboard, to reset it to default, which isn't necessarily easy to do, especially to the uninitiated.

Agent51
01-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I have a question too, although not nearly as technical as that one, lol. Sometimes when I watch videos from websites that use WMP to play the only trhing that happens is I get sound from the video but the screen stays green. This happens randomly it seems as some videos work and some don't. Sometimes I can make it work by NOT opening the link in a new window, or by going directly to the link from the address bad instead of just clicking on it. Like the videos people post in here, most of them do that for me, its quite annoying. If I DL them and watch them they work fine, it just seems like when I try to watch them from a link or something. It is pretty annoying to have to keep DLing little 20-30 second videos from places like Break.com and stuff just to see some kid get hurt or something, lol, but its the only way to watch them. Any idea why this could be? I have the K-Lite codec pack with all of them in it, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, same thing. Is there a better codec pack, or is it even the codecs? Also, Microsoft update doesn't say I need WMP update when I do the update checks, buit could that be it, would i need to manually check for a WMP update?

mor911
01-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Just a little food for thought, "PC Geeks" probly isn't the way you want to title a thread that you're asking for help in. :lol:

Agent51
01-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Just a little food for thought, "PC Geeks" probly isn't the way you want to title a thread that you're asking for help in. :lol:

You know I was thinking that when I clicked the thread, lol, I was wondering if anyone was going to help the guy because he called them "geeks"

ASCII
01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
how do i determine what the default settings for a processor are in the bios? I got into the bios and touched the wrong thing and now my daughters pc isnt running right....i tried seeing what it was in My Computer and it changes everytime i change something in the bios...HELP!!!! I tried googling but to no avail...please please help before i pull out my hair!!

There should be an option to restore the defaults in the bios menu....try that

ASCII
01-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I have a question too, although not nearly as technical as that one, lol. Sometimes when I watch videos from websites that use WMP to play the only trhing that happens is I get sound from the video but the screen stays green. This happens randomly it seems as some videos work and some don't. Sometimes I can make it work by NOT opening the link in a new window, or by going directly to the link from the address bad instead of just clicking on it. Like the videos people post in here, most of them do that for me, its quite annoying. If I DL them and watch them they work fine, it just seems like when I try to watch them from a link or something. It is pretty annoying to have to keep DLing little 20-30 second videos from places like Break.com and stuff just to see some kid get hurt or something, lol, but its the only way to watch them. Any idea why this could be? I have the K-Lite codec pack with all of them in it, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, same thing. Is there a better codec pack, or is it even the codecs? Also, Microsoft update doesn't say I need WMP update when I do the update checks, buit could that be it, would i need to manually check for a WMP update?

which version of wmp are you running?

Agent51
01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
which version of wmp are you running?

according to the properties:

File Version: 10.0.0.3646

ASCII
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
according to the properties:

File Version: 10.0.0.3646

is there a specific file format that you are having problems with?(ie. .wmv, .avi, .mpg)

ASCII
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
try updating your codecs...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=1271&s=95

A Wing Pilot
01-04-2006, 12:36 PM

There should be a setting in the bios for default or sae settings. Use that then slowly adjust the settings to increase performance afterwords.

Heres a great guide (somewhat dated but so is your pc)
http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/cpu/

aquaattak
01-04-2006, 01:19 PM

Its all love Mor..its all love...

Im a "geek" also, just not with a degree...

Thanks for the advice from all when i get home I'll try some of your suggestions!

BigDogsHunt
01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
You know I was thinking that when I clicked the thread, lol, I was wondering if anyone was going to help the guy because he called them "geeks"

No its called a CPU not a PC.......Geeks is ok!! :sidelol:

AquaInferno
01-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Its all love Mor..its all love...

Im a "geek" also, just not with a degree...

Thanks for the advice from all when i get home I'll try some of your suggestions!

What do you mean by not running right? If it's slower than normal and you right click my computer, go to properties, if it gives a much slower speed than normal in Ghz than it's probably your front side bus speed settings. Increase the FSB speed, be warned, cranking it too high can cause overheating. I recommend the defaults in your BIOS and then toying with the font sidebus or FSB speed. Won't do harm if you change it, test it, if it's wrong reboot and change it again till it's right.

But what do you mean by not running right?

aquaattak
01-04-2006, 02:03 PM
its real sluggish, i found a program called everest that i think squared it away. It'll beep until i disconnect my wireless network adapter (USB) and it just takes a long time to load. The program gives me the original processor speed, which at the time was underclocked. Now, I adjusted it to reflect the original speed 933 i think, it actually was running a little quicker, like at 935, i hope thats not gonna be a problem. this computer is used by my daughter. Dont want her to burn the house down... :(

Agent51
01-04-2006, 06:23 PM
is there a specific file format that you are having problems with?(ie. .wmv, .avi, .mpg)

Not sure, like I said, it's only when I try to watch videos online, like at comedy sites such as break.com or college humor, or even the funny links people post here, so I'm not sure what file types they are, I'm having ZERO trouble with anything I DL, just when I try to watch online or from a link. I'll try the link you gave me for the codecs though, thanks.

Muck
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
its real sluggish, i found a program called everest that i think squared it away. It'll beep until i disconnect my wireless network adapter (USB) and it just takes a long time to load. The program gives me the original processor speed, which at the time was underclocked. Now, I adjusted it to reflect the original speed 933 i think, it actually was running a little quicker, like at 935, i hope thats not gonna be a problem. this computer is used by my daughter. Dont want her to burn the house down... :(

935 should be fine. Most times the actual clock speed of the processor isn't exactly what it's sold as (for example, a 2Ghz processor showing up at 1.99).

If I were you, I'd reset the CMOS. Basically just pull the battery (shown below) out of the motherboard for a few minutes (while it's turned off). This will the BIOS back to factory default. Then plug it back in and fire it up. You may need to jump in the bios and adjust the clock speed again (ramp it up to normal). Is this a custom built machine?? Or is it a Dell, HP, etc?? If it's a Dell or whatever and you have the model number, you can Google it and see what CPUs it shipped with.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Hope this helps. :) BTW - was there a reason why you went in there and changed things up in the first place?? Was it because it was running sluggish??

FIN-IN-RI
01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
format c:

aquaattak
01-04-2006, 10:21 PM
935 should be fine. Most times the actual clock speed of the processor isn't exactly what it's sold as (for example, a 2Ghz processor showing up at 1.99).

If I were you, I'd reset the CMOS. Basically just pull the battery (shown below) out of the motherboard for a few minutes (while it's turned off). This will the BIOS back to factory default. Then plug it back in and fire it up. You may need to jump in the bios and adjust the clock speed again (ramp it up to normal). Is this a custom built machine?? Or is it a Dell, HP, etc?? If it's a Dell or whatever and you have the model number, you can Google it and see what CPUs it shipped with.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Hope this helps. :) BTW - was there a reason why you went in there and changed things up in the first place?? Was it because it was running sluggish??

i just formatted it and installed all her progs, ipod stuff etc. Then, the next day it started to beep and the post screen was running real slow. I looked at the processor speed and had a funny feeling that it was wrong, went into the bios but i couldnt for the life of me figure out the original speed and started messing with it. The machine is custom made.