PDA

View Full Version : Computer dudes...need some help.

unifiedtheory
01-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Hey techys.

I'm having a home network issue. I'm a web designer and develloper and know NOTHING about networking.

I have a D-Link DI-604. The issue I'm having is that I lose my internet connection. Everything is fine and then I have nothing. When I reboot my router (unplug and replug it in) my connection returns to normal and then the whole cycle starts again.

It usually happens every 15-45 minutes and it is driving me insane.

I reset the router and basically reinstalled it. My modem is running just fine.

I would like to know if anyone has either:

Had this issue before and was able to fix it
Has any tips I could try to fix this
I've contacted the D-Link helpline but they have been slow in getting back to me (surprise, surprise).

I'm really trying to avoid replacing the router if I can. It's about 3 years old so I figure I've got my moneys worth but I'd like to troubleshoot this to make sure it is the issue. I don't want to buy a new one only to find out that the router was'nt the issue.

byroan
01-04-2006, 03:30 AM
You said your modem is running fine, have you tried using it without the router?

Have you changed anything in your router settings? How many computers are on the router?

unifiedtheory
01-04-2006, 04:01 AM
You said your modem is running fine, have you tried using it without the router?

Have you changed anything in your router settings? How many computers are on the router?

2 machines on the router and my roomy is having the same issue.

I plugged my modem into my machine and did not have any issues what so ever.

My router settings are the default ones (it went back to default settings when I reset the router). I reset the router and installed it as per the instructions.

byroan
01-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Is DHCP turned on?

Buddwalk
01-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Hey techys.

I'm having a home network issue. I'm a web designer and develloper and know NOTHING about networking.

I have a D-Link DI-604. The issue I'm having is that I lose my internet connection. Everything is fine and then I have nothing. When I reboot my router (unplug and replug it in) my connection returns to normal and then the whole cycle starts again.

It usually happens every 15-45 minutes and it is driving me insane.

I reset the router and basically reinstalled it. My modem is running just fine.

I would like to know if anyone has either:

Had this issue before and was able to fix it
Has any tips I could try to fix this
I've contacted the D-Link helpline but they have been slow in getting back to me (surprise, surprise).

I'm really trying to avoid replacing the router if I can. It's about 3 years old so I figure I've got my moneys worth but I'd like to troubleshoot this to make sure it is the issue. I don't want to buy a new one only to find out that the router was'nt the issue.

Actually im having the same problem with the dlink router i just replaced it yesterday with a linksys and the problem exists no more ;)

WharfRat
01-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Is DHCP turned on?

That's the first thing I'd check... also if the router has a firewall, try turning it off...and if it has VPN capabilities, turn it off...

NaboCane
01-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Actually im having the same problem with the dlink router i just replaced it yesterday with a linksys and the problem exists no more ;)

Well, that's interesting because I have a linksys at home (cable) and the exact same thing is happening to me as to UT.

A Wing Pilot
01-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I replaced 2 dlinks before i switched to cisco (linksys) problem resolved

WharfRat
01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Well, that's interesting because I have a linksys at home (cable) and the exact same thing is happening to me as to UT.

I've never had any problems with Linksys routers...what brand of modem are you using with the router?

Mindwarp
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
linksys FTW

A Wing Pilot
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
try flashing your routers with the newest code. then try a constant ping to a web server or site see if it dies of or not. IF that doesn't work do a few traceroutes, perhaps use a trace rout app to do a live one to tell you if somethingis happening to you or to outside of your home network to see where the "kill" is coming from. If this is all to complex then ignore it and call support for your device

FIN-IN-RI
01-04-2006, 04:47 PM
First try and upgarde the firmware like Awing said..

Second, connect your cable to a different channel on your router and while you're at it change your ethernet cable (the one that goes from your router to your NIC)..

If those two steps don't work then it's most likely a hardware issue. The fact that it just loses the signal comming from the modem is odd for it to be anything else..

Be sure to use the Reset button that is on the router itself, rather than just un-plugging it.. It should be somehwere where you need a tip of a pen to puch it in for about 5 seconds.. after that check the website for a firmware upgrade and do that.

WharfRat
01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
linksys FTW

:huh:

Phin-o-rama
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
:huh:

FOR THE WIN>>>>>>NUBLET :cool:

NaboCane
01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I've never had any problems with Linksys routers...what brand of modem are you using with the router?

I'm sorry, I misspoke...that is my modem. But it acts as a router, I think because gluv's laptop connects wirelessly to it.

I don't know, I'm so lost when it comes to all this stuff.

I'm gonna go run awing's post through the English-to-12-year-old translator now to see if it starts to make any sense to me...

:goof:

d-day
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry, I misspoke...that is my modem. But it acts as a router, I think because gluv's laptop connects wirelessly to it.

I'm gonna go run awing's post through the English-to-12-year-old translator now to see if it starts to make any sense to me...

:chuckle: - some of you mods have been a roll lately...

Muck
01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I plugged my modem into my machine and did not have any issues what so ever.

If this is the case, I'd just replace the router with a different brand and be done with it. Routers are cheap. You can get a standard 4-port Linksys for $39 at BestBuy right now.

I'd try upgrading the firmware first. If that doesn't work, just trash the thing and be done with it. It's out of warranty anyway.

Buddwalk
01-04-2006, 08:20 PM
If this is the case, I'd just replace the router with a different brand and be done with it. Routers are cheap. You can get a standard 4-port Linksys for $39 at BestBuy right now.

I'd try upgrading the firmware first. If that doesn't work, just trash the thing and be done with it. It's out of warranty anyway.

funny we just got that exact same standard linkysys for $79 two days ago ;)

byroan
01-04-2006, 10:01 PM
I've got a brand new 8 port linksys router if anyone wants it. :lol:

I've tried ebay and the flea market. No one wants it.

FIN-IN-RI
01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I've got a brand new 8 port linksys router if anyone wants it. :lol:

I've tried ebay and the flea market. No one wants it.

send it to 3 elmwood drive johnston ri 02919

ill take it

FIN-IN-RI
01-04-2006, 10:03 PM

i'm so confused now..

Dolfan5000
01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Haha, I was gunna post something like this but, he beat me to it. I'm having trouble setting up my Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. I get everything set up just fine but when it goes to test my internet connection it says it cannot connect to the internet, yet my modem is running perfect... I would call Linksys, but it's a bit too late.

Buddwalk
01-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Haha, I was gunna post something like this but, he beat me to it. I'm having trouble setting up my Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. I get everything set up just fine but when it goes to test my internet connection it says it cannot connect to the internet, yet my modem is running perfect... I would call Linksys, but it's a bit too late.

ok here try this make sure its all connected unplug your modem adaptor leave that off for like 30 seconds, and plug that back in. Once thats all loading make sure you press that lil button left to the left of the power led light. The cisco button...then it should work fine ;)

Dolfan5000
01-05-2006, 02:03 AM
ok here try this make sure its all connected unplug your modem adaptor leave that off for like 30 seconds, and plug that back in. Once thats all loading make sure you press that lil button left to the left of the power led light. The cisco button...then it should work fine ;)
kay, thanks man. I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Clumpy
01-05-2006, 02:18 AM
I understood very little of this thread :(

unifiedtheory
01-05-2006, 02:32 AM

That is pretty much what I hasve decided to do...

I figured with all the damn time I have wasted trying to get the POS to work right the last few weeks I've probably paid for it 10 times over.

Thanks for all the responses guys.:)

Phin-o-rama
01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
i have a netgear wireless router that works flawlessly ....just an fyi

Megatron
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Dlink = caca

I sell lots of these things because they are cheap as hell. But anyone who knows there stuff would buy Linksys. Most large companies that have staff work from home will not let them hook up on the VPN without a Linksys product.