PDA

View Full Version : Quick Computer Question

Agent51
01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
OK, so my friend just got high speed (haha, she's a bit slow) and it's all installed and everything but when she tries to connect AOL automatically opens, except she doesn't have AOL anymore, so she can't get on. I tried to set it up s it opens with IE for her but there's a problem, I can't FIND IE on her computer. There is no desktop icon, and there is no actual program, or even setup, file in the IE folder in program files, it's just all sorts of connection wizard stuff and nothing happens when I click that, it's like the actual IE program isn't there, nor is the setup file for it. So I figure, OK, I'll just go get it from the Microsoft website. Problem is, I start the DL and then go to install it and it said it can't be installed because there is already an up-to-date version installed. Now I'm completely at a loss as to how to find it. I did the search thing where you can search files/folders and it just gave me the IE folder I already found, again, with no actual IE application or setup file in it. So then I think to go to the add/remove programs and look to uninstall it and that would tell me the path to it, problem is, it's not listed THERE either! What the hell is going on, lol? The only way to get online right now is to go to start/search/on the internet and then IE opens and its fine (IE isn't in the start menu either, just the folder with the "connection wizard" thing). Basically my question is how the hell do I find it so I can make a shortcut on the desktop so everyone that uses her internet doesn't have to go to Start/Search/On The Internet just to get online?

Buddwalk
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
if she has aim or can get on it i can send her ie ;)

Agent51
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
if she has aim or can get on it i can send her ie ;)

well the thing is it won't let me DL or install it because it already says it's there, and it is, because IE opens if you go to Start/Search/On the Internet, but thats the ONLY way to get on IE. If it does it that way it has to mean it's installed no? Thing is it's not listed anywhere in the program files folder or the start menu or even in the add/remove programs screen. I basically just need to know how to find it so I can put a goddamn shortcut on her desktop, cuz going through all to open IE is freakin ANNOYING. Could I put the installation files on a CD and then just bring it there and install it that way and just replace the old one during installation?

FinHeathen
01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
OK, so my friend just got high speed (haha, she's a bit slow) and it's all installed and everything but when she tries to connect AOL automatically opens, except she doesn't have AOL anymore, so she can't get on. I tried to set it up s it opens with IE for her but there's a problem, I can't FIND IE on her computer. There is no desktop icon, and there is no actual program, or even setup, file in the IE folder in program files, it's just all sorts of connection wizard stuff and nothing happens when I click that, it's like the actual IE program isn't there, nor is the setup file for it. So I figure, OK, I'll just go get it from the Microsoft website. Problem is, I start the DL and then go to install it and it said it can't be installed because there is already an up-to-date version installed. Now I'm completely at a loss as to how to find it. I did the search thing where you can search files/folders and it just gave me the IE folder I already found, again, with no actual IE application or setup file in it. So then I think to go to the add/remove programs and look to uninstall it and that would tell me the path to it, problem is, it's not listed THERE either! What the hell is going on, lol? The only way to get online right now is to go to start/search/on the internet and then IE opens and its fine (IE isn't in the start menu either, just the folder with the "connection wizard" thing). Basically my question is how the hell do I find it so I can make a shortcut on the desktop so everyone that uses her internet doesn't have to go to Start/Search/On The Internet just to get online?

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe

Or use Lynx.

Burn Firefox to a CD and install that. Honestly, if I were near a PC with a recent version of AOL, I'd reformat it and reinstall, simply because the AOL client gets so ingrained in the system that it's tantamount to spyware.

As for IM concerns, I would suggest GAIM. (http://gaim.sourceforge.net). It's open-source, and it's not bloated and wortlhless like the native AIM client.

Agent51
01-05-2006, 02:00 AM
c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe

Or use Lynx.

Burn Firefox to a CD and install that. Honestly, if I were near a PC with a recent version of AOL, I'd reformat it and reinstall, simply because the AOL client gets so ingrained in the system that it's tantamount to spyware.

As for IM concerns, I would suggest GAIM. (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) (http://gaim.sourceforge.net)/). It's open-source, and it's not bloated and wortlhless like the native AIM client.

Thanks dude, but what I'm trying to say is that part of the IE folder doesn't exist for some reason, its just NOT THERE, neither the setup file for it OR the application itself, it doesn't show up ANYWHERE, in the start menu, in the add/remove programs, in the IE folder, NOWHERE, yet you can use it somehow and when you try to install IE it says it can't because it's already installed.

Slappy8800
01-05-2006, 03:24 AM
kick it

A Wing Pilot
01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
It may be a hidden file. Just hit the windows key and F it will bring up a search window. Search for iexplore.exe

When it shows up right click on it and choose send to desktop (shortcut)

ILPhinFan88
01-05-2006, 10:24 AM
If it is running XP, go to start menu then all programs. At the top should be a Windows Update, click on it. Once the page loads just go to the website you use as your homepage. Then go to the toolbar, File...Send....Shortcut to desktop. Hope that helps.