PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Will Offer HD Drive for Xbox 360

Slappy8800
01-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Jan. 5) - In addition to leading the way in next-generation gaming, Microsoft is preparing to take a bigger stake in the high definition video wars. Later this year, Microsoft plans to offer an external HD-DVD drive as an accessory for its new Xbox 360, chairman Bill Gates announced Wednesday. No specifics such as price or release date were given.

The announcement widens the divide between Microsoft, which has supported the HD-DVD format, and Sony, which is helping develop the competing Blu-Ray Disc high-def format that will be used in the coming PlayStation 3.

Microsoft beat Sony to market with its new Xbox 360, but it remains to be seen which high-def format will arrive in stores first. In announcements at the Consumer Electronics Show, both camps are targeting spring for the release of new players and PC drives that play the new discs.

The new discs are essentially DVDs on steroids. Both formats use blue lasers, instead of DVD's red one, to read more tightly packed data stored on the discs. They will also read current DVDs.

But there are differences: HD-DVD supporters, including Toshiba and Universal, tout the less expensive production shift. The Blu-Ray group, which includes most electronics companies and major studios, boasts that its capacity is 50 Gigabytes vs. HD-DVD's 30 GB. (A current DVD holds 9.4 GB at most.)

And Blu-Ray's interactive features are based on Sun Microsystem's Java, while HD-DVD uses iHD, developed by Microsoft and Toshiba.

Motion
01-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Dig that grave.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Grave? No, the PS3 still has a slim chance of moderate retail success Speedrush99. :D

What MS has done is given consumers a CHOICE. Do you want a standalone HD movie player? Or do you want your gaming console to double as one?

Sony is making EVERY PS3 buyer pay for Blu-Ray by including the drive, so the price will always be higher than the 360. We both know many parents will go the cheaper route, and even casual gamers. When a console hits the $150 price point is when sales really take off, into the tens of millions.

Plus, what if Blu-Ray is the next Betamax? :eek: That means that PS3 owners would be stuck with a poorly supported HD movie player. In theory, even MS can license a Blu-Ray drive add-on for the Xbox 360, so whichever HD format wins out they are covered.

I think movie price will be the deciding factor in all this. If HD-DVD movies come out at $20 each, versus $30 for Blu-Ray (remember for Blu-ray the manufacturing costs are much higher as new equipment is installed) and both look the same on the TV screen? Especially for those faced with upgrading a HUGE DVD collection? I've yet to see specific prices for each HD format, so we shall see how that pans out, HD-DVD manufacturers could be greedy and price the same as Blu-Ray movies for example.

Caps
01-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Grave? No, the PS3 still has a slim chance of moderate retail success Speedrush99. :D

What MS has done is given consumers a CHOICE. Do you want a standalone HD movie player? Or do you want your gaming console to double as one?

Sony is making EVERY PS3 buyer pay for Blu-Ray by including the drive, so the price will always be higher than the 360. We both know many parents will go the cheaper route, and even casual gamers. When a console hits the $150 price point is when sales really take off, into the tens of millions.

Plus, what if Blu-Ray is the next Betamax? :eek: That means that PS3 owners would be stuck with a poorly supported HD movie player. In theory, even MS can license a Blu-Ray drive add-on for the Xbox 360, so whichever HD format wins out they are covered.

I think movie price will be the deciding factor in all this. If HD-DVD movies come out at $20 each, versus $30 for Blu-Ray (remember for Blu-ray the manufacturing costs are much higher as new equipment is installed) and both look the same on the TV screen? Especially for those faced with upgrading a HUGE DVD collection? I've yet to see specific prices for each HD format, so we shall see how that pans out, HD-DVD manufacturers could be greedy and price the same as Blu-Ray movies for example.

I really don't see how MS is giving their consumers much of a choice here. Every top flight game that comes out in the coming years will use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. You're going to have to upgrade if you want to play all the best new games.

And Blu-Ray has more movie studio support than HD-DVD, it will be around for a long time.

mor911
01-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I really don't see how MS is giving their consumers much of a choice here. Every top flight game that comes out in the coming years will use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. You're going to have to upgrade if you want to play all the best new games.

And Blu-Ray has more movie studio support than HD-DVD, it will be around for a long time.
Actually...

the Xbox 360 supposedly will have no support for HD-DVD based games, even if (or when) a HD-DVD drive is released for the console. Apparently this little tidbit slipped out of Microsoft's own Yoshihiro Maruyama, their Xbox operations chief in Japan, in an interview with Famitsu Xbox, and though Bill Gates has hinted at the possible inclusion of HD-DVD for the 360 later on, it looks now like that's going to be a movies only affair.

http://engadget.com/2005/11/02/no-hd-dvd-games-for-xbox-360-ever-ever/

Caps
01-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Actually...

http://engadget.com/2005/11/02/no-hd-dvd-games-for-xbox-360-ever-ever/

They're going to lose out on a lot of great games that would have been multi-platform if that's the case. GTA for instance.

mor911
01-06-2006, 12:26 PM
They're going to lose out on a lot of great games that would have been multi-platform if that's the case. GTA for instance.
I'm not saying it's a smart move and I'm not saying it's a dumb move. I was just posting what I read. :D

The Mor will not choose sides. :mor911:

PS -- It's neither difficult nor expensive to make multi-disc DVD games. I seriously don't see storage format coming back to haunt MS anytime in the next 4-5 years. It'll be AT LEAST that long before a game takes up 25-30(+) GB.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't think that some 360 games being put on multiple DVD disks will hurt them. The Final Fantasy crowd never seemed to worry about swapping disks for example. A minor inconvenience at worst.

Anyone know how thick the Blu-Ray disks will be? I read somewhere they are thinner, by half or so, compared to regular DVDs. Are they that much more fragile, subject to breaking then? What about scratches? With all that dense storage on the disk, it would seem to be even easier to ruin one.

Caps
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't think that some 360 games being put on multiple DVD disks will hurt them. The Final Fantasy crowd never seemed to worry about swapping disks for example. A minor inconvenience at worst.

Anyone know how thick the Blu-Ray disks will be? I read somewhere they are thinner, by half or so, compared to regular DVDs. Are they that much more fragile, subject to breaking then? What about scratches? With all that dense storage on the disk, it would seem to be even easier to ruin one.

Multiple disks should be fine for linear games, like Halo, but they're the kiss of death for free roaming games like GTA.

I'm not sure about the actual thickness of Blu-Ray disks, but I know scratches, fingerprints, etc. won't be a problem due to a protective coating (http://www.cdteam.co.uk/blue_laser_discs.html) that will cover the disks. The coating stuff is near the bottom of the page.

mor911
01-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Multiple disks should be fine for linear games, like Halo, but they're the kiss of death for free roaming games like GTA.

Not really actually. If I hadn't ripped the xbox version of GTA:San Andreas I wouldn't know this. But only about 1.3GB of San Andreas is actual game elements. The remander of the DVD is all cut scenes and audio. The game used extremly high quality audio. If you rip GTA:SA, you'll see that it's about a 7GB rip.

I really don't think switching disks will be a problem even for a GTA-type game.

Take FF7 for PS1 for example. It was 4 CDs. Biggest game at the time. As you progressed through the game, you would have to insert disc 2, then 3, then 4 to continue on. What people didn't know was that the entire game was on every disk. The only difference between the disks were the cut-scenes (the video that took up all of the space). Actaul game programming elements don't take up that much room. Especially for a game like GTA because it re-uses the same graphics throughout the whole game.
Just The Mor's 2 cents :D

PhinsPhan
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
I think the PS3 crowd is making too big of a deal about the Blu-Ray disc. That seems to be one issue they constantly bring up to argue why the PS3 will be better. I think Sony is going to find out the hard way that people don't want to pay extra money for a game or a movie when the full space on the disk is not being used. Betamax was much much better than VHS but in the end the price won of the VHS won the battle. Why would I want to pay even 1 dollar more for a movie on Blu-Ray when it has the exact same material and quality as an HD-DVD.

The pricing structure for high-definition DVD players is emerging for the first time at CES, Gartenberg said, with Toshiba announcing an HD-DVD player price of about US$500. Blu-ray players are expected to cost around $1,000.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/48147.html

On the side of Blu-Ray Michael Dell said that Blu-Ray is the way to go because of it's better technology. He says for backing up a hard drive it only makes sense to choose 50gb over 30gb. The problem I have with this is if a Blu-Ray burnable disc costs $10 and a burnable HD-DVD disc costs $3 then once again the price per GB is in favor of HD-DVD in terms of backing up data.

Caps
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Not really actually. If I hadn't ripped the xbox version of GTA:San Andreas I wouldn't know this. But only about 1.3GB of San Andreas is actual game elements. The remander of the DVD is all cut scenes and audio. The game used extremly high quality audio. If you rip GTA:SA, you'll see that it's about a 7GB rip.

I really don't think switching disks will be a problem even for a GTA-type game.

Take FF7 for PS1 for example. It was 4 CDs. Biggest game at the time. As you progressed through the game, you would have to insert disc 2, then 3, then 4 to continue on. What people didn't know was that the entire game was on every disk. The only difference between the disks were the cut-scenes (the video that took up all of the space). Actaul game programming elements don't take up that much room. Especially for a game like GTA because it re-uses the same graphics throughout the whole game.
Just The Mor's 2 cents :D

Yeah, but so much of the the audio in San Andreas, and all similar games, is being accessed constantly because of the radio, and it's the same large file throughout the entire game, unlike cutscenes which are location and progress based. And even some of the cutscenes are constantly being reused throughout the entirety of the game, like the "Date" cutscenes. Couple that with the fact that the cutscenes, audio, and in-game graphics will all be of much higher quality, be in greater supply, and take up much more storage space on 360 and PS3, and you have a storage issue for regular DVD's, even if you used multiple disks.

PhinsPhan
01-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Technology does not always win.

Sony lost with Beta and Minidisc.
Apple lost with Macintosh.

It happens all the time, I wouldn't be suprised if it happend again.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
With the graphic power of the new consoles, cutscenes can be done in real time with the games graphic engine. There will also be ways to compress data to get more on a disk, developers don't bother with that until they start running out of space.

As Phinsphan noted, if there is a large difference in cost for Blu-Ray players compared to HD-DVD ones, and the Blu-Ray movies also cost more? Price is always a large factor in consumer purchases.

It may be 2010 before a clear winner emerges in all this, or maybe both formats struggle? DVD has been successful because everyone agreed on ONE standard.

Motion
01-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Technology does not always win.

Sony lost with Beta and Minidisc.
Apple lost with Macintosh.

It happens all the time, I wouldn't be suprised if it happend again.

Lost what? You know how many people and buisnesses use Macs? Not as many as PCs but its far from a "loss".

Motion
01-06-2006, 10:26 PM

We'll see

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Teamxbox website has some interesting details, as announcements are made by various tech companies, about HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and newer TV tech.

Check out the prices on Blu-Ray disks:

Model Number
Specification
SRP*

LM-BE50DE
Rewritable, 50GB, Single-Sided, Dual Layer
$59.99

LM-BE25DE
Rewritable, 25GB, Single-Sided, Single Layer
$24.99

LM-BR50DE
Write once, 50GB, Single-Sided, Dual Layer
$42.99

LM-BR25DE
Write once, 25GB, Single-Sided, Single Layer
$17.99

Just the disk ALONE for a Blu-Ray 50GB game will cost $42? :eek:

Yeah, I know that is a retail price, but compared to $1 or less for a DVD?

Are PS3 games going to cost $100 or more? How insane would that be?

Read more details here:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10006/Panasonic-Announces-Plans-for-US-Intro-of-Bluray-Discs/

Motion
01-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Teamxbox website has some interesting details, as announcements are made by various tech companies, about HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and newer TV tech.

Model Number
Specification
SRP*

LM-BE50DE
$59.99

LM-BE25DE
$24.99

LM-BR50DE
$42.99

LM-BR25DE
$17.99

Read more details here:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10006/Panasonic-Announces-Plans-for-US-Intro-of-Bluray-Discs/

No offense, but I'd never waste my time reading PS3 info or opinions on a Xbox site. :D

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-07-2006, 03:41 AM
This is a Panasonic price list press release. One of the supporters of Blu-Ray. Not numbers created by an Xbox fan site, but I'm sure you can find the same info on a more neutral site.

As I said, Sony should be able to get disks at a much cheaper rate, but how much cheaper? Maybe $8 for a 25GB disk? What about a devloper who ends up needing to use a 50GB disk? Who eats the cost (say $15) of that disk? Do they tack another $10 onto the game cost ($70 or $80?) to cover it?

If the average devloper stays under 25 GB, to lower disk cost, then doesn't that take away one of the advantages of Blu-Ray? The extra storage space won't get used much.

What do developers do? Imagine an Xbox 360 and PS3 game, but the PS3 version costs $10 more due to Blu-Ray. Or does the developer eat the extra cost, and make $10 LESS per copy sold on the PS3?

Which system would you want to develop for?

Motion
01-07-2006, 04:27 AM
Which system would you want to develop for?

In all Honesty, it depends what kind of game and experience your going for. IGN has a very interesting article right know with Interviews of a dozen of the top gaming developers in the world. Asked them what made the biggest impression on them in 2005, what are they looking forward too in 2006, and what next gen system are they most looking forward to working with. Surprisingly most of them said Revolution, mostly because of the controller features. With PS3 coming in a close second due to raw power and space.

I think Sony will eat the extra costs intially just to get the technology out there. It will be successful no doubt in my mind. Much better launch results than the 360 IMO. The launch of the 360 wasn't nearly the "event" it was expected to be.

Detfan4
01-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Here's something that's interesting.

1.13 What will Blu-ray Disc products cost?

As with any new technology the first generation of products will likely be quite expensive due to low production volumes. However, this shouldn't be a problem for long as there is a wide range of Blu-ray Disc products planned, which should help drive up production volumes and lower overall production costs. Once mass production of components for Blu-ray products begins the prices are expected to fall quickly.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.

Link: http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.13

AquaInferno
01-08-2006, 11:37 AM
With all this add-on business M$ reminds me of a little voice from the 90's before every game it said: SEGA!

See addons that failed: 32X

Microsoft may have a chance at this, given Hd-DVD outdoes Blu-Ray, by capacity, it won't so I don't see what this has on a built in Blu-Ray player... Except an extra $50-$100 in Billy Gates pockets everytime you buy one..

AquaInferno
01-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Model Number
Specification
SRP*

LM-BE50DE
$59.99

LM-BE25DE
$24.99

LM-BR50DE
$42.99

LM-BR25DE
$17.99

Read more details here:

Come on people and relax, this is deja vu of the DVD. How well did that take off, and expensive as it started out. I trust no source on Blu-Ray costs, not on an Xbox site, and sure as hell not while there are only prototypes being sold on ebay. No way will the disc cost $42 a pop, Sony wants to stay in, what's the word, oh yea competition. If their games cost $100 each could they compete? No, come on guys, you act as if Sony's new to competition, technology and the video game world. They only were claimed to be the winner of the 32/64 bit era, and many sources crowned them winner of the 128 bit era. PS3 will do just fine, if I were you guys I'd be concerned more with this addon business M$ is pulling.

mor911
01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Come on people and relax, this is deja vu of the DVD. How well did that take off, and expensive as it started out. I trust no source on Blu-Ray costs, not on an Xbox site, and sure as hell not while there are only prototypes being sold on ebay. No way will the disc cost $42 a pop, Sony wants to stay in, what's the word, oh yea competition. If their games cost $100 each could they compete? No, come on guys, you act as if Sony's new to competition, technology and the video game world. They only were claimed to be the winner of the 32/64 bit era, and many sources crowned them winner of the 128 bit era. PS3 will do just fine, if I were you guys I'd be concerned more with this addon business M$ is pulling.
The PS3 will do fine. We all know that. I'm just addressing the people that think the 360 is gonna be pulled off the shelves over this move.

Remember, the PS2 helped push the DVD... but let's also not forget, when the PS2 was released there were already DVDs for sale on the shelves. Having a Blu-Ray drive won't push Blu-Ray if Blu-Ray movies aren't for sale yet.

With the PS2 it was like, "Cool, I can get a video game console that also plays those new DVD movies for a little bit more than just a DVD player!" In a few months when the PS3 is released, Best Buy and FYI (and other stores that sell movies) won't have a Blu-Ray movie section yet. So purchasing a PS3 as a Blu-Ray/Game console won't be nearly as inviting.

Again, I'm not saying the PS3 will do bad. I'm simply saying that the storage medium chosen by each company will not significantly effect either's sales. They will both be around for a long time.

:mor911:

AquaInferno
01-08-2006, 12:57 PM
The PS3 will do fine. We all know that. I'm just addressing the people that think the 360 is gonna be pulled off the shelves over this move.

Remember, the PS2 helped push the DVD... but let's also not forget, when the PS2 was released there were already DVDs for sale on the shelves. Having a Blu-Ray drive won't push Blu-Ray if Blu-Ray movies aren't for sale yet.

With the PS2 it was like, "Cool, I can get a video game console that also plays those new DVD movies for a little bit more than just a DVD player!" In a few months when the PS3 is released, Best Buy and FYI (and other stores that sell movies) won't have a Blu-Ray movie section yet. So purchasing a PS3 as a Blu-Ray/Game console won't be nearly as inviting.

Again, I'm not saying the PS3 will do bad. I'm simply saying that the storage medium chosen by each company will not significantly effect either's sales. They will both be around for a long time.

:mor911:

We're looking at a fall release, if the presale starts May 2nd, it will be fall for the US releas eof the PS3. By then there is a chance Blu-Ray could be started, I don't know what stage it's in. But even if Blu-Ray isn't established the day PS3 is out, it will be within the PS3's lifespan, so it will be an inviting player with console price drops etc. Consoles REALLY take off after the 1st price drop, so Sony cutting a price in 2007/2008, and pushing the Blu-Ray should = a ton of success.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Dude, that price list is from Panasonic. A supporter and promoter of Blu-Ray. Those are the prices that Panasonic has set. Will those prices drop as production ramps up? Certainly. The question is how long till they are as cheap as a DVD disk? Probably a couple years.

DVD was an established and agreed upon format when the PS2 came out, with lots of DVD movies on the store shelves. Totally different scenario with Blu-Ray though.

What MS has done is nothing like the 32X that Sega made. The HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360 is ONLY for playing movies, not games. If you want movies, you buy it, simple as that.

Sony is making EVERYONE who buys a PS3 pay for that Blu-Ray drive, whether they want to watch movies or not. Microsoft will have a big advantage in the coming years as they can price the Xbox 360 well below what the PS3 will cost.

The $150 price is when consoles really start selling, and MS will be there first, and unless Sony wants to bleed money, they won't dare match it till maybe a year later.

Motion
01-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Sony is making EVERYONE who buys a PS3 pay for that Blu-Ray drive, whether they want to watch movies or not.

Yeah at the same price MS charged for the 360 with neither, based on early reports.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, you could get the 360 Core system for $300, as poor a deal as that is versus getting a Hard Drive, headset, high def cables, and remote for an extra $100.

Sony has already hinted at the PS3 being expensive. Does that mean $400? Or might it be $500 at launch?

Does that get you a hard drive, headset, remote, or high def cables? Or just a basic system?

I'll be surprised if Sony can even offer a "core" PS3 for only $300, maybe they can go $349?

People seem to have stopped talking much about a Spring launch though, as that seems to have been more Sony hype.

In all of this, if it seems I don't trust what Sony says? I don't. :D I am glad they are around though, to motivate MS and even Nintendo, to better hardware, games, and prices. Competition is good for us gamers.

Slappy8800
01-09-2006, 05:43 PM
there is no way in hell sony can offer the PS3 for under 500 bucks..

Caps
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM
there is no way in hell sony can offer the PS3 for under 500 bucks..

Yes, there is a way. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/28/news_6128295.html)

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Certainly there is a way, but did you notice that includes Sony losing just over 2 BILLION dollars in the first three years of the PS3 lifespan?

It is normal for game companies to take a loss on hardware whenever a new console launches, since they typically focus on acquiring market share rather than generating a profit during the first year. During the second year and afterward, they can recover the losses with the savings that come from mass production and with licensing fees from publishers.

However, Merrill Lynch Japan warns that the normal console business cycle may be disrupted if Microsoft cuts the Xbox 360's price when the PlayStation 3 launches. The report goes on to say that such a move could hurt Sony's plans, bringing an additional loss of 80 billion yen ($730 million) in its second year and 50 billion yen ($457 million) in its third year. Thus far, Sony has already invested 200 billion yen ($1.83 billion) into development and production for the Cell chip alone.

I don't think Sony can eat losses like that. They don't have a cash cow like MS does with Windows.

I can see a "basic" PS3 at $399, and then you need to spend another $100 for a hard drive, $40 for high def cables, and what about a headset/remote?

The PS3 equivalent of a Premium Xbox 360 should run you an easy $499 (if Sony does a bundle) or more if you have to buy everything seperate.

Slappy8800
01-09-2006, 11:58 PM
sony cannot afford that kind of loss...i watched an interview with the pres of sony and he admitted the ipod killed sony....their movies are lsoing money, their cd sales are way down

3 years till they see any kind of profit? by that time the new xbox will be coming out

mor911
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Breaking news! 360 may offer a Blu-Ray drive add-on also!

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFyAkyykluNFpfUGq.php

Despite the obvious preference for HD-DVD, it seems Microsoft isn't willing to completely tie its fate to the format just yet. During CES 2006, Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing Peter Moore told Japanese site ITmedia (http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/) that a Blu-ray Xbox 360 peripheral could appear for the system if the need arises.Moore admitted that Microsoft isn't sure of the next-generation format war's outcome, with the worst-case scenario being a repeat of the Beta vs. VHS war of the '80s.

So on that note, I don't think they're digging a grave.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-11-2006, 02:18 AM

:D

I think it will take most of this next console generation (Xbox 360, PS3) to see which format wins, if there even is a winner, but nice to know the options will be there for Xbox 360 owners.

Slappy8800
01-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Breaking news! 360 may offer a Blu-Ray drive add-on also!

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFyAkyykluNFpfUGq.php

So on that note, I don't think they're digging a grave.

nice find