PDA

View Full Version : Advertising seeping into your gaming immersion:

PressCoverage
01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
For anyone who loathes corporate advertising, which has finally caught on that people escape to video game consoles and, in turn, are escaping their slave-enducing ad blitz on TV, this was an interesting read.

From an essay by Clayton Dach on Adbusters.org’s year end issue:

The Medium of the Century

With video games shaping up to dominate the entertainment industry for decades to come, it’s not really so crazy for vigilant parents to fret about their broods getting porkified and warped by endless hours of war-mongering button-mashing. Now, thanks to technologies like those being pushed by US advertising company Massive Inc., they can add one more worry to the pile. Massive has been busily convincing developers to insert pre-defined “ad areas” into new games. Every time a network-enabled game console or computer connects to the internet, Massive’s servers off up a fresh round of ads to fill these areas, which can be anything from a billboard on a virtual highway, to a 15-second full-video commercial on an expanse of wall, to a stretch of sponsored dialogue issuing from a character’s mouth. Clients already on board include Coca-Cola, Warner Bros., and…. The US Navy. …

Massive has tried to assuage the misgivings of developers and gamers alike by claiming that actual ads will make game worlds feel more authentic. … In the end, all that will matter is the insatiable logic of the ad industry, its fevered need for self-propagation through sheer volume… And so instead of the elegant, slick, emotional, and insidiously manipulative high-integration advertising we may have been fearing, we are more likely to get the stupid, brutish, obtrusive and profoundly annoying ads we’ve most definitely been dreading.

To the credit of gamers, despite some rather half-assed attempts to convince them that all ad profits will end up back in their pockets, it looks as if the backlash is well underway. This past July, players of law-enforcement game SWAT4 – one of the early adopters of Massive’s system – posted instructions for permanently blocking the ads. Expect players of other games to follow suit.

Mute all commercials.

PhinsPhan
01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
we are subjected to advertising no matter where we are. As a matter of fact right now as I am typing this I am seeing one for VIP Sports. I do agree that Ads in video games make it feel more authentic. Just think about when you play GT4 or Forza, you see ads everywhere. But I would rather these ads than not have them.

Adam First
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Electronic Arts is the frontrunner for doing that.

They basically sold out NCAA Football 06 to Pontiac.

Need For Speed Underground 2 is beyond thunderdome.

PeaTearGriffin
01-07-2006, 02:01 AM
well in theory wouldn't this lower the cost on games?

darkmistress
01-08-2006, 10:28 PM
well in theory wouldn't this lower the cost on games?
in theory sure... but you shouldn't have to pay for ads. If you fork out money for something you should expect to get that something and only that something not a few little unwanted surprises... I'd rather not have to pay to have someone sell their product to me.