PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walsh comments on Rose Bowl QBs

Regan21286
01-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Thought this might bring some more info. A little article in the Los Angeles Times about the future of the draft prospects who played in the Rose Bowl.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-nfl6jan06,0,83077.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget

That said, in the eyes of Walsh, who is no longer affiliated with the 49ers, the best quarterback on the Rose Bowl field was USC's Matt Leinart, who threw for 365 yards and a touchdown in a 41-38 loss.

"He's a pure passer," said Walsh, who coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks Joe Montana and Steve Young. "His chances in the pros are a lot better than [Vince] Young's. He sees his receivers a lot better."

If anyone knows anything about QB's, it's Walsh, who also said some nice comments about Marino way back.

ether79
01-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Thought this might bring some more info. A little article in the Los Angeles Times about the future of the draft prospects who played in the Rose Bowl.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-nfl6jan06,0,83077.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget

If anyone knows anything about QB's, it's Walsh, who also said some nice comments about Marino way back.

Ahh what does he know ;) .

fishypete
01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Yea....he had a guy named Steve Young....he could run too....and did many times....but the guy is getting old...you know.

Regan21286
01-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Yea....he had a guy named Steve Young....he could run too....and did many times....but the guy is getting old...you know.

Steve Young was a pass first QB. He ran only when he needed too. Leinart himself was able to run for first downs, like he did at UCLA. So he's no Bledsoe.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Steve Young was a pass first QB. He ran only when he needed too. Leinart himself was able to run for first downs, like he did at UCLA. So he's no Bledsoe.

And another player named Young runs when he has too also....and alot better than Steve ever could. I saw Steve right out of college playing in Tampa...when he had to run...to stay alive.

ether79
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
And another player named Young runs when he has too also....and alot better than Steve ever could. I saw Steve right out of college playing in Tampa...when he had to run...to stay alive.

And a Young named Steve is leaps and bounds a better passer than one named Vince.

ckparrothead
01-06-2006, 04:49 PM
And a Young named Steve is leaps and bounds a better passer than one named Vince.

In all fairness, we don't know that yet.

ether79
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Ahh I know just exaggerating, but Vince IMO might not be that far below Steve, but he'll not on the same level.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Fairness....here?

Thanks for trying thou.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Ahh I know just exaggerating, but Vince IMO might not be that far below Steve, but he'll not on the same level.

You have no idea how lucky Steve Young was when he got away from Tampa...Young with Tampa wasn't worth a hoot....never would have won half the games and dare say...a superbowl with him there in Tampa.

The vast difference is Steve Young was barely 6 ft...and didn't weigh much more than 200 lbs....Vince is 6'5" 235 and will only get bigger and stronger in the NFL. In a foot race...Vince would beat him easily....Steve had the moves...but didn't have the speed....I remember one game where he ran for around 20 yds for a score...and barely made it to the goal line...before falling down on his face.

ether79
01-06-2006, 05:12 PM
You have no idea how lucky Steve Young was when he got away from Tampa...Young with Tampa wasn't worth a hoot....never would have won half the games and dare say...a superbowl with him there in Tampa.

The vast difference is Steve Young was barely 6 ft...and didn't weigh much more than 200 lbs....Vince is 6'5" 235 and will only get bigger and stronger in the NFL. In a foot race...Vince would beat him easily....Steve had the moves...but didn't have the speed....I remember one game where he ran for around 20 yds for a score...and barely made it to the goal line...before falling down on his face.

We'll just have to see what happens to Vince bro. I'm not going to sit here and say that he'll will be anywhere near Steve. If you want to thats fine. Just like Steve(and most every other QB) it will take the right situation for Vince to be able to succeed in the NFL.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
We'll just have to see what happens to Vince bro. I'm not going to sit here and say that he'll will be anywhere near Steve. If you want to thats fine. Just like Steve(and most every other QB) it will take the right situation for Vince to be able to succeed in the NFL.

I agree totally.

ckparrothead
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
I use to think that Vince wouldn't be as successful as Vick because he's not as fast. Now I'm convinced he's a better runner overall...or at least, more effective as a runner. Get Vick running to his right side and he's dead in the water as far as passing the ball. Get Young running to his left and he can still pass the ball, probably in no small part because he's already working with a sidearm delivery on even his normal passes. If Vick had Vince's accuracy, there'd be no question who the most dominant QB in the league is.

As things stand I think Vick is consistently underrated because people look at his passing stats and not his running stats. Take his rushing yardage, TDs, and attempts, and count them in his passing statistics as completed passes, and his career QB rating of 88.4 compares pretty favorably to Tom Brady's career QB rating of 89.1 (with the same thing, Brady's rushing yardage and TDs added back onto his passing yardage as completions).

Vick's win/loss record as a starter is pretty impressive as well.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 05:34 PM
I use to think that Vince wouldn't be as successful as Vick because he's not as fast. Now I'm convinced he's a better runner overall...or at least, more effective as a runner. Get Vick running to his right side and he's dead in the water as far as passing the ball. Get Young running to his left and he can still pass the ball, probably in no small part because he's already working with a sidearm delivery on even his normal passes. If Vick had Vince's accuracy, there'd be no question who the most dominant QB in the league is.

As things stand I think Vick is consistently underrated because people look at his passing stats and not his running stats. Take his rushing yardage, TDs, and attempts, and count them in his passing statistics as completed passes, and his career QB rating of 88.4 compares pretty favorably to Tom Brady's career QB rating of 89.1 (with the same thing, Brady's rushing yardage and TDs added back onto his passing yardage as completions).

Vick's win/loss record as a starter is pretty impressive as well.

Good comparison. I like Vinces win/loss record too.

mbsinmisc
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I think that vince would beat steve in a foot race, but easily? SY was pretty damn fast. I would consider easily at least a step and a half in the 40, I know it is a moot point but that would suprise me.

Awsi Dooger
01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Walsh is unquestionably correct. It's all about translation to the next level and Young's game doesn't compute. Just picture him taking snaps from center or in the pure shotgun instead of a zone read. Now tell me how he kills you from either formation? He's not going to drop back and consistently churn out first downs running with his long loping stride against sophisticated and talented pro defenses. Likewise, his flawed delivery and very erratic awareness level in picking out the proper receiver or type of pass dependent on the situation don't match the pro game.

I love his cocky attitude and he's a winner but the style is wrong. Remember, he didn't even throw a TD pass against USC despite the 41 point output. Some of you will say so what that's because he ran them in, others will correctly realize you don't do that in the big league and Young will struggle to put up points with his current repertoire. I concede he has improved significantly every year so that's his chance.

fishypete
01-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Walsh is unquestionably correct. It's all about translation to the next level and Young's game doesn't compute. Just picture him taking snaps from center or in the pure shotgun instead of a zone read. Now tell me how he kills you from either formation? He's not going to drop back and consistently churn out first downs running with his long loping stride against sophisticated and talented pro defenses. Likewise, his flawed delivery and very erratic awareness level in picking out the proper receiver or type of pass dependent on the situation don't match the pro game.

I love his cocky attitude and he's a winner but the style is wrong. Remember, he didn't even throw a TD pass against USC despite the 41 point output. Some of you will say so what that's because he ran them in, others will correctly realize you don't do that in the big league and Young will struggle to put up points with his current repertoire. I concede he has improved significantly every year so that's his chance.

I think you are missing the point....unlike college....Young shouldn't have to carry the NFL team he goes to....so he doesn't have to run for first downs every time....but if he has to run...he can. Young doesn't have a flawed delivery...Like Rivers...he throws 3/4 delivery....and if it was flawed as you say....he wouldn't have such a great passing completion rating...wouldn't have thrown for over 3000 yds. Concerning reading defense's...to run his plays...he HAS to read the defense's...and obviously he must be doing a darn good job at it. Throwing for 75% comp rating against a team like USC...is as good as you will ever see any college QB do in a game.

ckb2001
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I was most surprised by this comment from Walsh: "USC and Texas are so good they probably could beat some lower-echelon NFL teams". I wonder if this is true... (interpreting "could beat" as in "would win at least 50% of the time in a head-to-head matchup with a lower-echelon NFL team)

finfansince72
01-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Id take a young Steve Young over Vince anyday of the week and twice on Sundays. I think Vince has a shot at being great but any comparisions to Steve are premature at best.