PDA

View Full Version : Brock Berlin effecting our draft direction?

Silverphin
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
:alert: Disclaimer: This is not a thread to bash or support Brock Berlin.:alert:

Okay, that's out of the way.

As you all know, Brock Berlin was re-signed by the Dolphins and allocated to the NFL Europe League. Now, let's play the "if" game, shall we?

If Brock Berlin starts lighting it up in Europe, would that what Saban/Mueller will do with that 1st Rd Draft pick?

Regan21286
01-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Saban and Mueller probably won't even consider how Berlin does anyways. If they see a QB that they must have, they'll find some way to get that QB.

Jaj
01-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Brock Berlin would be lucky to be considered for a third string QB job...

SCall13
01-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Berlin will have no effect on what Saban and Mueller does. Honestly, I don't think Saban is planning on drafting a QB in the first round anyway. I think Saban goes with another position of need that is closer to a sure thing: either an offensive tackle or CB. Just my opinion.

Motion
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Exactly, You don't honestly think he's starting NFL material do you? Does anyone?

Jaj
01-06-2006, 10:31 PM
If anyone starts Berlin over Rosenfels even they might as well be fired.

SCall13
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Yeah. What he said.

Silverphin
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Exactly, You don't honestly think he's starting NFL material do you? Does anyone?

I'm neutral on Berlin. But what ever Saban and Mueller decides, I support 100%.

Caps
01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I think Berlin can be a good backup once he gains some experience. I'd like to see him stay with us, although I'd never expect him to start.

RunningBackGuru
01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Berlin will probably be with our practice squad. Nothing more than a 4th string QB.

PhinSoldia
01-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Berlin will have no effect on what Saban and Mueller does. Honestly, I don't think Saban is planning on drafting a QB in the first round anyway. I think Saban goes with another position of need that is closer to a sure thing: either an offensive tackle or CB. Just my opinion.

i agree...after the top two i dont think there is a significant drop off in talent after cutler so we just might pick one up in the later rounds

Dors156
01-06-2006, 11:58 PM
i see potential in berlin.im glad he is still with us but i really dont know what saban will do with him.it would be nice to see him as a third stringer

twg76
01-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Saban will keep an eye on Berlin. He didn't have enough opportunities in the pre-season to prove himself. So now he gets to go to NFL Europe, and get more opportunities. My guess is that they will watch his progress. If he continues to get better, he will eventually get a shot at filling a role at QB for Miami. But I doubt that will be next season.

Best case scenario: Berlin does well in Europe and replaces Lemon as the third string QB. Lemon hasn't proven anything. Berlin has as much of a chance to be at 3rd string as Lemon.

dodge
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
imo the real reason saban wants to send berlin to europe is for the roster exemption that will allow us to keep 4 qbs on the roster in preseason a couple weeks longer. that sabans a smart feller.

BLITZKRIEG
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd rather stick with Berlin and let him get the experience he needs, than waste a 2006 mid-round pick on an unknown like Vick or Jacobs....

Berlin looked great in pre-season play, and I'm glad he's still with us. It would be foolish not to keep an eye on him in NFL Europe. I hated Berlin in college, but he looked very sharp running our our offense as a rookie, so I changed my opinion of him....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

daniel3
01-07-2006, 12:07 PM

That's my reasoning as well. He's made a number of moves to evaluate young and veteran QB's from multiple avenues, which mean's he's being very cautious about the position and probably won't use a 1st round pick to choose a QB in the draft unless he shows immense talent like Young or Leinart.

caneaddict
01-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I think Saban said last summer that he really liked Berlin, but BErlin wasn't ready yet and couldn't beat out Sage. Having watched Berlin's whole career (as most of you have down here), what I've noticed is that he's a slow learner but can be very good.

I think he lost out at Florida because it takes him a long time to get comfortable in a system while Grossman was lighting it up from day 1. At UM, Berlin was awful at first but by his senior year he had settled down and was playing VERY good football (too bad by that point his defense was losing games for him). I would imagine a similar progression in the NFL.

You can all hate on Berlin but, while I don't think he is anywhere near ready to be a starting QB, he will develop through experience and in 3-4 years could turn into a pretty good QB. Even at that point though, I think he would need to be inthe same system on the same team for a couple years.

One positive he has going for him is he's already today one of the best QB's in the NFL at running a hurry up shotgun offense. I'm serious. Berlin playing hurry up out of the shotgun is right up there with some of the best ever. Too bad Berlin under center makes AJ Feeley look like a world beater.

wazzy
01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Brock Berlin seems like he will be the next Sage Rosenfels he will be on a team for like 4 or 5 years just waiting for his chacne to prove himself.