PDA

View Full Version : Google Does It Again - Google Video Store

Muck
01-07-2006, 10:49 AM
They're teaming up with CBS and the NBA. You will soon be able to download shows like CSI, Survivor, Lost and The Twighlight Zone from the Google Video Store. You'll also be able to download every NBA game from now thru the Finals, 24 hours after their conclusoin, as well as some high scoring individual performances.

Google says it'll be a high-quality format. I read somewhere else that it might use DivX.

The best part is, it's all COMMERCIAL-FREE. That's not all. Read the article. As it goes on, there's more about the catalog. It's gonna be pretty massive.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20060106005636&ndmHsc=v2*A1105016400000*B1136621288000*DgroupByDate*J2*N1002692&newsLang=en&beanID=1525802384&viewID=news_view

Google pwnz. :yes: I'm telling ya, assuming the video quality is up to snuff, this is a great thing. Pricing is variable. I read that episodes of CBS shows will got between $.99 and $1.99. But we'll see.

And yes, Bobby Humphrey will now be able to download episodes of MacGyver. :yes:

dol_fan_81
01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
googles great, have you downloaded google earth yet? that's amazing...

Muck
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh, and this goes along with the release of the Google Pack (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20060106005631&ndmHsc=v2*A1105016400000*B1136621288000*DgroupByDate*J2*N1002692&newsLang=en&beanID=1525802384&viewID=news_view).

That's a pretty cool package right there. I wish it didn't include Norton and RealPlayer though.

Muck
01-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Oh yeah. I got it the day after it was released.

I'm a big map/geography freak. There hasn't been a 1-2 punch like Google Maps and Google Earth since I dated those twins back in 2001. :lol:

FinsAreLife
01-07-2006, 10:59 AM

yeah it is, my friend has it, its soo freaking sweet

Fresh
01-07-2006, 11:00 AM
This is great. Hopefully, they'll put up some classic performances by Michael Jordan so I can rip it and add it to my iPod Video.

Muck
01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
This is great. Hopefully, they'll put up some classic performances by Michael Jordan so I can rip it and add it to my iPod Video.

I immediately though of you when I read about the NBA stuff.

And just for you, they're gonna have Kobe's 63 point, 0 assist game on there. :lol:

I wonder how they're gonna do those individual videos. My guess is that the NBA will cut up all of that player's scoring plays that night and package it.....which would be pretty freaking sweet.

What I'd like to do is grab some D-Wade highlights and then make a super highlight package. :woot:

Muck
01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I just read another article. Check this out....

The video providers have the option of offering content on a download-to-own or download-to-rent basis.

In a sign that content owners will likely pursue different approaches through Google Video, the National Basketball Association will sell broadcasts of its games one day after the event for $3.95. Meanwhile, public television staple Charlie Rose will post his interviews the day after a broadcast, allowing a free streaming for the first 24 hours then making it downloadable afterward for 99 cents each. Meanwhile, CBS is selling episodes of its popular "CSI" and "Survivor" series at the standard iTunes price of per download.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8EVG9R06.htm?campaign_id=apn_tech_down&chan=tc

Basically,

NBA games - $3.95
CSI, Survivor - $1.99
Charlie Rose - free stream for 24 hours, then $.99 to download.

I like where this is going. Everybody wins.

I think that once this takes off, more and more entrepreneurs will take notice. I can see boxing promoters getting involved. Who wouldn't love to have Corrales-Castillo I??

But the ultimate beast will still remain unchanged. The NFL still leaves an enormous amount of money on the table by not making their games available for purchase (outside of the Ticket). But I think a big reason why, today, is that they have to look out for DirecTV and the networks. Specifically DirecTV. Plus I'm sure there's language in the newest contracts with these folks that addresses this sort of thing (redistribution and rebroadcasting).

Muck
01-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Now for the downside....

Google has developed its own copy protection technology that so far prevents content owners from moving their video downloads to a mobile playing device. In instances where the content provider adopts Google's copy protection scheme, watching a video sold through Google will require users to be online so they can log on and view it via the company's video player. CBS and the NBA are among the content owners adopting Google's copy protections.

That's pretty ****ty. I can understand the need to limit piracy. But they're taking the fun out of it. This isn't to say, however, that you can't move the file. You just can't view it without being online and logged in. But that's pretty crappy when, for example, you want to watch an NBA game you purchased on a flight from Miami to Los Angeles.

However, if a content owner posts unrestricted video on Google, the user could move the video onto pretty much any portable device. Charlie Rose is among those offering unprotected video.

That's pretty cool. Good for him.

Also, you have to be running a Windows operating system to have access to this. No Apple. No Linux. I can understand the Apple part I guess, since they're competing with them on this. But I wonder why not Unix/Linux??

FinsNCanes
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Neat..but I hate watching stuff on my computer. I'd rather just go out and buy it.

Muck
01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Neat..but I hate watching stuff on my computer. I'd rather just go out and buy it.

But that's the thing. Lots of this stuff you can't go out and buy. And for most of the stuff that you CAN purchase in a store, you first have to wait several months before it's available.

mor911
01-07-2006, 01:49 PM
The Mor's HDTV is setup as an additional monitor. So anything The Mor has on his PC, he can watch on his TV. It's too pimp.

:mor911:

GreenMonster
01-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The Mor's HDTV is setup as an additional monitor. So anything The Mor has on his PC, he can watch on his TV. It's too pimp.

:mor911:

Can the Mor us the HDTV setup as a good moniter. I mean I would just use this the whole time. Poker on the big screen.

mor911
01-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Can the Mor us the HDTV setup as a good moniter. I mean I would just use this the whole time. Poker on the big screen.
If The Mor went out and got a good wireless keyboard and mouse, then yes. It's just not as convenient for everyday computer use as you'd think.

The TV is 51 inches. Hardly usable when you're going to finheaven :D

Jt0323
01-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Ive been a huge fan of google in this past year, first gmail (https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fsearch%3Dquery%26view%3Dtl%26start%3D0%26init%3D1%26fs%3D1%26q%3DKing%2Bof%2BQueens%26ui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&ltmpl=wsad&ltmplcache=2), then every thing else google is doing like google earth (http://earth.google.com/), google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics) ect... Google seems to be sticking it to Gates and Microsoft, another good feature is the google search history where u can look up any of Ur old searches and Google customized homepage is pretty cool also.

GreenMonster
01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
If The Mor went out and got a good wireless keyboard and mouse, then yes. It's just not as convenient for everyday computer use as you'd think.

When I move out of this apartment, I will look into an HDTV setup to use as a 2nd dual - moniter for my laptop.. I will be in heaven when I can sit on the couch with the laptop and move projects to the bigscreen. Hooray for technology. SlingBox for my phone in less than one month. Dolphins games anywhere.

Fresh
01-07-2006, 05:25 PM
My people at Boxden will find a way to rip it and upload it. :D

K-train
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
google > The internet

welderpat
01-08-2006, 08:57 AM

You better stay out of the ll with that,you might blow out youre rotator cuff :lol: :lol:

A Wing Pilot
01-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Now for the downside...
Also, you have to be running a Windows operating system to have access to this. No Apple. No Linux. I can understand the Apple part I guess, since they're competing with them on this. But I wonder why not Unix/Linux??

Technically OS 10.X is based on a linux/bsd core so if they made a client for mac they could easily port it to linux. you could use wine to run it on lunux, but its annoying that the very technology google uses they exclude...grrrr.

My other issue is: if i buy it i want full control like i do now. so until i get something like this:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124152,00.asp

Where you can watch on airplanes and have control of the media.

Granted someone will crack the encoding and you can rip the rentals... its just a matter of time.

Motion
01-08-2006, 10:29 AM
They're teaming up with CBS and the NBA. You will soon be able to download shows like CSI, Survivor, Lost and The Twighlight Zone from the Google Video Store.

LOST is an ABC show. This isn't really new, iTunes has had TV shows for months.

Muck
01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
LOST is an ABC show. This isn't really new, iTunes has had TV shows for months.

:lol: I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part. I don't know where I got that from.

Yeah, iTunes started this last year. But I'm told the video quality isn't all that. And the prices are pretty much set in stone.

Muck
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
My other issue is: if i buy it i want full control like i do now. so until i get something like this:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124152,00.asp

Where you can watch on airplanes and have control of the media.

Granted someone will crack the encoding and you can rip the rentals... its just a matter of time.

Now that's more like it. I'm gonna download the beta now.

It's kinda wrong that you buy something....which makes it your property....and can't do what you want with it.

The Vongo movies are good quality. Full screen still looks good for me. Just gotta crack the rental thing. :)

Motion
01-09-2006, 01:39 AM
:lol: I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part. I don't know where I got that from.

Yeah, iTunes started this last year. But I'm told the video quality isn't all that. And the prices are pretty much set in stone.

iTunes has LOST, $1.99 an episode.