PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Jay Cutler I

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

NJFinsfan
12-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Some person from a Southern Miss might be better than the big name qb's and some of the big names might have better surrounding casts that make them look better than what they are.

See....Matt Leinert

ROSCO P.C. JR
12-31-2005, 02:44 PM
well my impecible sources told me that we will not draft a qb we will draft olb or a backup puinter. oh wait dave is gone what am i thinking? serriously i think we will draft deffensive back or olb or maybe a dt . my sources told me that we may sign qb cassy printers and kepp guss and lemon so this would free up to draft deffense.:dolphins:

trick daddy23
01-01-2006, 11:40 AM
can anyone post some jay cutler highlights?Thanks

RunningBackGuru
01-01-2006, 11:41 AM
EDIT- Took the link away. I didn't even watch it...I just saw the link, copied and pasted it on here.

Sorry for that.

trick daddy23
01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
that link doesnt work for me

chickmagnet
01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
great find i say we pick this guy in the draft

trick daddy23
01-01-2006, 12:19 PM
how you get the link to work?

Bjorn
01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=ABOOME

That's a link someone had in their sig. So don't credit me on this.

:shakeno:

AquaInferno
01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=ABOOME

That's a link someone had in their sig. So don't credit me on this.

Can we get a real link? This is some soul stealing bs pos.

I don't watch NCAA so I've never seen Cutler in action. But I read all over people want him on the Dolphins.

His Dudeness
01-02-2006, 02:13 AM
i just believe that the Phins will not trade up for the guy, and he will be taken before us.. there are too many teams picking that could use a QB.

saints, titans, cardinals, raiders, jets, bills?, browns?,ravens, lions....

tylerdolphin
01-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Browns, Bills and Ravens wont pick him for sure. I think we have a shot. We shouldnt give up the farm for Cutler though. If the price is steep, we might as well get Rivers/Lienart (saints have him at #2 though.)

Clark Kent
01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
i just believe that the Phins will not trade up for the guy, and he will be taken before us.. there are too many teams picking that could use a QB.

saints, titans, cardinals, raiders, jets, bills?, browns?,ravens, lions....

Saints- Leinart

Titans- Where are they picking again?

Raiders- Possible

Jets- Still have Chad, will see that through, IMO.

Bills- Losman was drafted two years ago... He's not a bust yet (I actually like him)

Browns- Charlie Frye

Ravens- Boller came on strong, has another year.

Seems Tenn and Oakland are the only ones in our way, and Vince Young will come out, IMO. Who knows, who cares. I trust Saban to do what he feels is right.

Roman529
01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Well if we cant draft a QB then we need to get somebody through Free Agency.....I would like Daunte Culpepper if he is healthy and available...he might be the best available player? Kitna, McNair, Brooks, etc., don't excite me much.

tylerdolphin
01-02-2006, 02:18 AM
I like McNair, Pepper and Rivers this offseason, But nearly anyone can do better than we have

His Dudeness
01-02-2006, 02:18 AM
i know its unpopular around here, but i still like mcnair. culpepper just doesnt do it for me...

Jaj
01-02-2006, 02:19 AM
I like McNair too, I think he'd be a great QB here.

Bjorn
01-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Boller and Harrington might have shown enough late in the season to keep their teams from making QB a top priority. I truly think the Jets will take a RB in the first over a QB unless Leinart falls to # 4. The Raiders have Andrew Walter who should develop into a fine QB, he was a first day pick for them last year.Bills have Losman, and the Browns have Charlie Frye. That leaves the Saints, Titans, Cardinals, then us. Depending on trades The Saints and Titans will have Leinart and Young. The Cardinals could look at Cutler I think they are picking 11 or 12, but I think they will look at OT and get a QB later but this could just be wishful thinking. All in All I think we have a legitimate chance at getting Cutler.

CitizenSnips
01-02-2006, 02:23 AM
i've even heard that we'd be reaching for cutler at #16...i can't imagine someone taking him in the top 10

tylerdolphin
01-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Id be upset if he made it to us and we passed. But saban knows all after last draft

fanaticfin
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Culpepper sucks

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Culpepper sucks

:sidelol:

Jaj
01-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Saban will have an incredible amount of choices. Huff, Landry, Wright, Wroten...

KB21
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think there is any way Joey Harrington stays in Detroit. He may have come on, but there's too much of a split between him and some of his teammates for that situation to work.

Detroit is the wild card for Jay Cutler, IMO. They could decide to take him with the 9th pick. Arizona is another wild card for Jay Cutler, and it just so happens that Detroit and Arizona pick 9th and 10th.

MikeO
01-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think there is any way Joey Harrington stays in Detroit. He may have come on, but there's too much of a split between him and some of his teammates for that situation to work.

Detroit is the wild card for Jay Cutler, IMO. They could decide to take him with the 9th pick. Arizona is another wild card for Jay Cutler, and it just so happens that Detroit and Arizona pick 9th and 10th.

Matt Millen CAN'T take a QB for the future and wait for him to become a player. He won't be around that long. Millen will take an impact player on defense who can produce now to hopefully (for his sake) save his job

SCall13
01-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm all for drafting a "franchise QB". But I hope, and don't think, Saban will reach for a QB with so many needs and pretty strong draft coming up. Cutler would be a nice pick if we could get him in round 2, but it looks like someone desperate may grab Cutler earlier than he should go. The reason I think we should be wary of him is because of his relatively low completion percentage and his unimpressive TD to INT ratio. I realize he hasn't been on the best of teams and he has played some stiff competition. But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things. I know stats aren't everything. But those two are the most important QB stats, IMO: Comp. % and TD/INT ratio. Just a thought.

Jaj
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Well that's not quite true. Tom Brady wasn't anything amazing at Michigan. Look at him now.

I'd say the most important factors of a pro QB, are pocket awareness, good accuracy, good arm strength, and toughness. You can't have a good QB without those factors.

SCall13
01-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Well that's not quite true. Tom Brady wasn't anything amazing at Michigan. Look at him now.

I'd say the most important factors of a pro QB, are pocket awareness, good accuracy, good arm strength, and toughness. You can't have a good QB without those factors.

Pocket awareness, arm strength, and toughness are definetly very important qualities for a QB. But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

Jaj
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Pocket awareness, arm strength, and toughness are definetly very important qualities for a QB. But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

Oh well yes, that's true. I'll admit that. Kyle Boller(regardless if you think he's done or not) had one big problem and that was accuracy. I really don't even consider QBs as legitimate starters anymore if they can't hit above 57% or so in college.

ckparrothead
01-02-2006, 04:49 PM

Not to diminish your point, but actually Tom Brady was quite amazing at Michigan, depending on who you talk to. Nick Saban certainly noticed. When Michigan put Henson in during their 1999 game Nick and staff were saying "thank god"

SCall13
01-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh well yes, that's true. I'll admit that. Kyle Boller(regardless if you think he's done or not) had one big problem and that was accuracy. I really don't even consider QBs as legitimate starters anymore if they can't hit above 57% or so in college.

Exactly. 57% in the NFL is not too bad. In college, it is a little bit of a concern.

Hellion
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Brady shared time with Griese for the first few games then Brian took over and went on to win the NC. The next year Brady was in as the starter and he did pretty good but nothing that would make you say he'd become what he has.
I remember saying back then that he's make a good backup and maybe a starter someday after a 4 or five years of experiance, but I guess i was wrong. :lol: He took right off.

Shouright
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I think this is the year to go O line and really help bring out the best in the skilled position players on offense. The tackles are so deep this year, and it's a relatively low-risk position to draft in the 1st. And I think Cutler will be long gone anyway. If Quinn were coming out it might be a different story. Marcus McNeill is a guy I really like, which would give us a line like this:

LT -- Carey
LG -- James
C -- Hadnot
LG -- Fonoti (FA signing)
RT -- McNeill

That's a very similar O line to the one Linehan had in Minnesota when he had the #1 ranked offense in the league in 2003. Every single player on this line would be a roadgrader, and the size of the linemen would give our QB all day to make the vertical part of the offense work like it should. Throw a free agent H-back like Brandon Manumaleuna in there (6'2" 288) and you really have something. McMichael would be our receiving TE and Manumaleuna would be our blocking TE.

This is our shot to move from a middle-of-the-pack O line to a very dominant one in only one offseason.

Evanauto
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Something that you have to think about also is the fact that he played at Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is never good. (ie. he looks good because he's playing with a bunch of scrubs when in fact he's a bum)

Agua
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Saban commented that arm strength, accuracy and decision making rate highest in his judgment. I've read that Cutler's accuracy is quesitonable.

Jaj
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Well if Kleinsasser is available, you have to get him. He could be cut, who knows...

Yes Fonoti would be a nice signing, that's a very nice OL.

As for Cutler's arm strength it's at 59% which isn't great but it's ok for a pro prospect.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm all for drafting a "franchise QB". But I hope, and don't think, Saban will reach for a QB with so many needs and pretty strong draft coming up. Cutler would be a nice pick if we could get him in round 2, but it looks like someone desperate may grab Cutler earlier than he should go. The reason I think we should be wary of him is because of his relatively low completion percentage and his unimpressive TD to INT ratio. I realize he hasn't been on the best of teams and he has played some stiff competition. But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things. I know stats aren't everything. But those two are the most important QB stats, IMO: Comp. % and TD/INT ratio. Just a thought.

and you dont think hes standing out why?

hes on a 5-6 football team, in probably the best conference in CFB. and hes a lock to be a top 20 pick in the draft. scouts rave about him.

sounds like hes standing out to me.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Well if Kleinsasser is available, you have to get him. He could be cut, who knows...

Yes Fonoti would be a nice signing, that's a very nice OL.

As for Cutler's arm strength it's at 59% which isn't great but it's ok for a pro prospect.

:confused:

SCall13
01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
and you dont think hes standing out why?

hes on a 5-6 football team, in probably the best conference in CFB. and hes a lock to be a top 20 pick in the draft. scouts rave about him.

sounds like hes standing out to me.

So was Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc. And they all stunk up the NFL. The point is, we shouldn't reach for an average (maybe) QB out of desperation. There are too many other needs on this team and a lot of quality will be there when we pick.

Edit: Also have you thought that maybe he stands out because the QB crop is small. IT isn't like there are many. You have Young, Leinhart, Cutler. There aren't many QBs for the media to hype. So maybe his standing out has as much to do with the media's infatuation with QBs as much as it does his actual ability.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
So was Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc. And they all stunk up the NFL. The point is, we shouldn't reach for an average (maybe) QB out of desperation. There are too many other needs on this team and a lot of quality will be there when we pick.

those were busts. busts happen, if anyone knew how to stop them, they wouldnt draft them year after year.

reaching for a average QB would be drafting a QB @ 16 that experts and scouts dont think deserve to go there. on the other hand, most scouts think Culter is a top 15 prospect. that woudlnt be reaching.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Would you have said this back when Brady was in college ? Easy to say now after his success....its all a crap shoot.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Edit: Also have you thought that maybe he stands out because the QB crop is small. IT isn't like there are many. You have Young, Leinhart, Cutler. There aren't many QBs for the media to hype. So maybe his standing out has as much to do with the media's infatuation with QBs as much as it does his actual ability.

hey, your the one that brought up the point that QBs in that situation, that usually excel in the NFL, standout in Cutlers situation.

But good college quarterbacks, the type who excel in the NFL, really standout in spite of those things

oldfinfan

Agreed, plus, there are so many other good players at DB and OL that would be less of a risk and would probably contribute immediately. My prediction stays...go for a solid OL...there are quite a few excellent ones coming out...the kid from LSU would be my pick.

DolfanTom
I'm waiting to see Cutler at the Senior Bowl before I make any serious judgements. Like what "I" think matters anyway to Saban and co ... :sidelol:

The one thing that does concern me about Cutler becoming a Dolphin is the horrible game he played against LSU this season. And you know Saban was following LSU ...

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I think this is the year to go O line and really help bring out the best in the skilled position players on offense. The tackles are so deep this year, and it's a relatively low-risk position to draft in the 1st. And I think Cutler will be long gone anyway. If Quinn were coming out it might be a different story. Marcus McNeill is a guy I really like, which would give us a line like this:

LT -- Carey
LG -- James
C -- Hadnot
LG -- Fonoti (FA signing)
RT -- McNeill

That's a very similar O line to the one Linehan had in Minnesota when he had the #1 ranked offense in the league in 2003. Every single player on this line would be a roadgrader, and the size of the linemen would give our QB all day to make the vertical part of the offense work like it should. Throw a free agent H-back like Brandon Manumaleuna in there (6'2" 288) and you really have something. McMichael would be our receiving TE and Manumaleuna would be our blocking TE.

This is our shot to move from a middle-of-the-pack O line to a very dominant one in only one offseason.

Carey struggled at LT...not sure if I would put him there...McNeill would be an excellent pickup, but I would give him a shot at LT...another stud is Whitsworth from LSU. Quite a few to pick from.

nopony
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Would you have said this back when Brady was in college ? Easy to say now after his success....its all a crap shoot.

I don't know enough about Cutler to feel qualified to comment.... but I will say that I have always thought that the surest way to go wrong in drafting a qb early is to look at size, delivery and arm strength over accuracy (including interception ratios), leadership and brains.

You are right that every QB pick is a gamble... but I would always gamble on the smart, accurate, intangibles guys over the perfect-physical-speciman throw the ball a mile guys.

Just as a rule, mind you. Nothing wrong with guys who have all of it.

Again, I am not saying any of this applies to Cutler. But if he is inaccurate and throws a lot of picks... that would be a very valid concern.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Culter has his inconsistancies with his accuracy, but thats different from what some of you are saying him being inaccurate. He is accurate. I dunno about him throwing a ton of picks either.

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't know enough about Cutler to feel qualified to comment.... but I will say that I have always thought that the surest way to go wrong in drafting a qb early is to look at size, delivery and arm strength over accuracy (including interception ratios), leadership and brains.

You are right that every QB pick is a gamble... but I would always gamble on the smart, accurate, intangibles guys over the perfect-physical-speciman throw the ball a mile guys.

Just as a rule, mind you. Nothing wrong with guys who have all of it.

Again, I am not saying any of this applies to Cutler. But if he is inaccurate and throws a lot of picks... that would be a very valid concern.

I don't know that much about Cutler either...All I am saying is that this guy is not the Marquee QB that the other 3 QBs are. With so many other needs, the Fins should not take a chance with a pretty good pick (# 16) on someone who still may be 1-2 years away. Instead, build up the other positions of need with the best player available, and, there are lots of OL and DB's, plus a couple of nice LB's (Greenway could be available). Lessen the risk of the pick.

DolfanTom
01-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Culter has his inconsistancies with his accuracy, but thats different from what some of you are saying him being inaccurate. He is accurate. I dunno about him throwing a ton of picks either.
Didn't he throw 21 TDs and 9 INTs this year in more than 400 attemps? Not a bad pick ratio if that's the case.

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Didn't he throw 21 TDs and 9 INTs this year in more than 400 attemps? Not a bad pick ratio if that's the case.

i dont know if thats the case. i know he threw 21 TDs, dont know how many picks. but if so, 9 INTs in over 400 attempts on a bad football team isnt bad at all.

DolfanTom
01-02-2006, 05:32 PM
i dont know if thats the case. i know he threw 21 TDs, dont know how many picks. but if so, 9 INTs in over 400 attempts on a bad football team isnt bad at all.
Here's the dirty details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=115374

Nine picks in 462 attempts. That's one every 51 attempts - in reality, one every two games. Not bad!

oldfinfan
01-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's the dirty details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=115374

Nine picks in 462 attempts. That's one every 51 attempts - in reality, one every two games. Not bad!

Who was he playing against ??

Nappy Roots
01-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Who was he playing against ??

South Eastern Conference

LarryFinFan
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Most of the big time names that will be drafted have most of the physical skills that you're talking about. Stats don't always tell the story tho...Remember Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith ?? Great stats, lousy pro...at any rate, it's the intangibles that matter to me. That is why Brady was drafted...he was so-so on the physical skills, but had tremendous intangibles (pocket presence, leadership ability, adaptability to the pro game, and above all a sharp mind...(again, see Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith)...but Saban has a dilemma...he has to do something for this coming year, not a year or two out. I see him going after a second level FA and then drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round to groom. The cost of a top level guy might be too much to spend right now in his eyes. The shoulder injury that Brees suffered could end up costing him a lot...Most teams are going to be leary about him now dependijng on how the rehab shakes out...He may even end up staying in SD (with Rivers) just because of that....At any rate, I may just give up on the Fins if he ends up keeping Gus as the starter...particularly if he pays him the roster bonus...

Motion
01-02-2006, 06:38 PM
But I was talking strictly stats. I should have clarified.

Which mean absolutely nothing in scouting a prospect. College stats don't mean sqaut when your grading NFL potential.

Motion
01-02-2006, 06:39 PM

WTF? :confused: And how exactly do you measure that?

Caps
01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know that much about Cutler either...All I am saying is that this guy is not the Marquee QB that the other 3 QBs are. With so many other needs, the Fins should not take a chance with a pretty good pick (# 16) on someone who still may be 1-2 years away.

Pretty much any rookie QB you draft is going to be 1-2 years away, if you're lucky. And QB is probably our most pressing need, so if we think Cutler has "it" then I don't see why we wouldn't spend our first just because he may not start on day one.

TheFallOfTroy54
01-03-2006, 03:38 AM
cutler this, cutler that,

WHY IS HE SO GOOD? HAVE U WATCHED HIS GAMES AND HIS ACCURACY? IS THAT GOOD? I HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY, i Want to know why everyone has us picking him,

for a college QB, i dont like his high interception count

why is he so good? why should he be our next qb????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

TheFallOfTroy54
01-03-2006, 03:43 AM

WHY IS HE SO GOOD? WHAT MAKES HIM SO GOOD?
why does eeryone have us picking him?
how accurate is he?
i dont like his high interception count

please someone, i've never seen him play

is he really that good?

NaboCane
01-03-2006, 03:49 AM

WHY IS HE SO GOOD? WHAT MAKES HIM SO GOOD?
why does eeryone have us picking him?
how accurate is he?
i dont like his high interception count

please someone, i've never seen him play

is he really that good?

Read the post that's stickied at the top of the forum.

byroan
01-03-2006, 03:51 AM
No one can sell you on him since you haven't seen him play. You have to watch him play to see how good he can be.

TheFallOfTroy54
01-03-2006, 03:53 AM
yeah but to guys who have seen him, tell me what u liked and didnt

Motion
01-03-2006, 04:11 AM
yeah but to guys who have seen him, tell me what u liked and didnt

If you can find tape of his game against Florida this year I highly recommend it. As the others said you really have see him for yourself.

Don't base your opinions from the opinions of others.

Wrathman
01-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Both analysts on cold pizza predicted Jay cutler to go in the top 5. I think that is ridiculous.

kastofsna120
01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
wouldn't surprise me at all after a good senior bowl. it looks like tennessee's jeff fisher will be coaching one of those teams, so don't be shocked

Disgustipate
01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, what do you expect from a morning talk show for men called Cold Pizza?

dlockz
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Well many said Alex Smith was not a first rounder way before the draft. There are alot of variables and I can see Cutler going high.

Caps
01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I would be very surprised if he gets picked higher than 10. He's a great prospect and I like him a lot, but he'd have to put on the best performance the senior bowl has ever seen to get picked by Tennesse which, barring any trades, is the only team in the top 5 that can legitimately take a QB that high(assuming Saints take Leinart).

Pocoloco
01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Fine, let him. I'll take Young anyway

Smoke
01-03-2006, 01:25 PM

You really think he'd drop to us? I don't.

As far as Cutler being a top 5 pick, although it's very possible it may be true I still think it's crazy talk. It's like somebody mentioned this guys name and for some reason this huge hype started. It was just a few weeks ago when he wasn't even expected to be a 1st rd pick.

kastofsna120
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
i'd rather have a good player, but different strokes for different folks

PhiNomina
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
This whole cutler thing is exactly what happened to Phillip Rivers. Are these guys all marketing majors or what? Sure are good at getting hype going about themselves.

BlueFin
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
From a pure talent standpoint, this guy is better than Leinart.

They really don't start seriously slotting these guys until about now anyway, the only reason you didn't hear more about Cutler is that he was playing on a bad team at Vanderbilt, had he been at USC or Notre Dame you would know him well.

Cobra
01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Wait for the combine at least. What if he sucks it up?!? It's way to early to predict stuff like this. Cold Pizza just doesnt have enough to talk about.

BlueFin
01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
This whole cutler thing is exactly what happened to Phillip Rivers. Are these guys all marketing majors or what? Sure are good at getting hype going about themselves.

You obviously have never seen him play.

DolfanCole
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
There's just so many of the top teams (in the draft, that is) that will be looking for a QB and only so many to go around. I could definitely see him going in the top 10, maybe top 5. Either way, I think he'll probably go higher than his talent may project him because of the needs.

dlockz
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Well the combine, senior bowl and workouts did not hurt Phillip Rivers either lol.

kastofsna120
01-03-2006, 01:42 PM
From a pure talent standpoint, this guy is better than Leinart
thankfully that's not all that matters for quarterbacks

BlueFin
01-03-2006, 01:46 PM
thankfully that's not all that matters for quarterbacks

No, thats true, but the reason to bring up his talent is to explain the reasons why he is climbing up the charts.

I'm not trying to slam Leinart, but lets face it, he has been surrounded by a near NFL team the last 3 years, while Cutler, when playing his conference rivals, was ALWAYS the worst team on the field.

kastofsna120
01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
No, thats true, but the reason to bring up his talent is to explain the reasons why he is climbing up the charts.

I'm not trying to slam Leinart, but lets face it, he has been surrounded by a near NFL team the last 3 years, while Cutler, when playing his conference rivals, was ALWAYS the worst team on the field.
lucky for USC to have an NFL QB along with all of their NFL talent

hpythons
01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
it's funny how some of you guys post what all this entertainment based shows have to say and still be surprised. Woody Paige is an absolute .....
I leave it up to you finish the sentence..

The_Dark_Knight
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Both analysts on cold pizza predicted Jay cutler to go in the top 5. I think that is ridiculous.
what do you expect from Woody Page...he and the other guy are idiots

saves
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Skip Bayless is a Vandy Grad! Its homerism at its finest as of now. Just creating hype for one of his own.

IdahoPhin
01-03-2006, 01:59 PM
On Len P. chat he said Cutler is not a top 10 pick..

Len also said win or lose Young said he was staying in school. Has anyone seen this posted any where?

I thought Ohio States QB looked better than Quinn.

kastofsna120
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
quinn had to face ohio state's defense, smith had to face notre dame's defense

not a fair comparison

Samphin
01-03-2006, 02:09 PM
wouldn't surprise me at all after a good senior bowl. it looks like tennessee's jeff fisher will be coaching one of those teams, so don't be shocked

Combine that wit the fact that reports have surfaced about Fisher and co. being in absolute love with the guy and it is safe to say he won't be there at 16.

NorFlaFin
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM

Will Jeff Fisher take his OC with him to the Senior Bowl? His OC is Norm Chow.

BTW:Norm Chow was Philip Rivers OC at NCST(for a year - I think).

Eshlemon
01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Hopefully Boller plays well this weekend, but whether he does or not, you have to remember that Billick is coming back next season, and since he is in the final year of his contract, he knows he has to put together a good season next year to get an extension. So he pretty much has to keep "His guy(Boller)" in there not only because he'd be throwing the season away by putting a rook in there, but because he has to save some face by developing Boller into a quality starter, or else he is gone.

Caps, looks like bad news on the Boller front. After 15-36, 0 TD, 2 INT at Cleveland think Billick will be getting a new starting QB whether he likes it or not. Even if Billick is in the last season of contract, I think GM Ozzie Newsome has final say in personnel decisions. Best case is Ravens sign some Kitna type veteran as starter with Boller as backup or a realtively young McCown type thus keeping them from drafting a QB in the 1st round.

Caps
01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Caps, looks like bad news on the Boller front. After 15-36, 0 TD, 2 INT at Cleveland think Billick will be getting a new starting QB whether he likes it or not. Even if Billick is in the last season of contract, I think GM Ozzie Newsome has final say in personnel decisions. Best case is Ravens sign some Kitna type veteran as starter with Boller as backup or a realtively young McCown type thus keeping them from drafting a QB in the 1st round.

Yeah, they may be looking for a new starter, or at least someone to compete, but you have to assume it's going to be a vet, Billick NEEDS to have a good year or he may never be a NFL HC again. So I don't see them taking a QB, they'll be looking for an instant starter at a need position in the first round.

Regan21286
01-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd let Cutler compete but I think he'll need to tone the gunslinger mentality down a bit unless he wants to have Favre's current stats. The only QB IMO that can start now is Leinart.

BlueFin
01-04-2006, 08:48 AM
lucky for USC to have an NFL QB along with all of their NFL talent

We'll find out about that won't we?

Jnaledu3
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Scott Wright now has Young going to the Titans rather than the Jets. He said that Young has a good relationship with Mcnair and would be a good fit as Mcnairs understudy.

kastofsna120
01-04-2006, 11:09 AM
We'll find out about that won't we?
:dolphins:

DUB
01-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I was watching Cold Pizza today on ESPN and both Skip and Woody had Cutler in the top 5. I also found some mocks with him very high(one #3). Maybe 3 or 4 had us picking him at #16, which is great, but ALL of them said his stock will rise. My question is: Will Saban move up to get this kid or will he stay put and go O-line or defense?? BOOMER if your out there I'd love to hear your thoughts??

PhinFan0202
01-04-2006, 02:35 PM
If i had to make a guess at this point i would say that Saban would stay put and draft either O-line or Defense. Saban is not about trading draft picks and Meuller has the philosophy that Quarterbacks can be "found" throughout the draft. If anyone remembers he had Jake Delhome, Aaron Brooks, and Mark Brunnel on the same team. I think he knows what he is doing when it comes to QBs.

DreamWeaver
01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
I was watching Cold Pizza today on ESPN and both Skip and Woody had Cutler in the top 5. I also found some mocks with him very high(one #3). Maybe 3 or 4 had us picking him at #16, which is great, but ALL of them said his stock will rise. My question is: Will Saban move up to get this kid or will he stay put and go O-line or defense?? BOOMER if your out there I'd love to hear your thoughts??

If the "experts" are right and Cutler moves into the top-5 then we won't have a shot at him...no way Saban gives up that much to get up that high. There are other areas of need. Now I could see NS moving up or down a spot or two to stockpile some picks and get his guy. I love draft talk but man we've got a long way to go....:cry:

Caps
I could see us moving up by trading players, but not picks.

DUB
If i had to make a guess at this point i would say that Saban would stay put and draft either O-line or Defense. Saban is not about trading draft picks and Meuller has the philosophy that Quarterbacks can be "found" throughout the draft. If anyone remembers he had Jake Delhome, Aaron Brooks, and Mark Brunnel on the same team. I think he knows what he is doing when it comes to QBs.

Although, that doesn't thrill me its probably realistic. It was brooks delhomme and bulger as I recall, but good points.

DUB
01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I could see us moving up by trading players, but not picks.

I strongly agree here. Does Madison get us anywhere?? I'd hate to lose ZT or JT. There are only a few players who i believe Saban sees as untradable if the right deal comes. We need a QB, NOW!

ckparrothead
01-04-2006, 02:42 PM

I'll take a stab if you want.

As of right now Cutler appears to be a stretch even at #16. The point stands that if he puts together a good Senior Bowl showing then he could move above the #16 spot. He's likely to impress quite a few GMs with his arm and his legs, a lot like Kyle Boller did.

Nick Saban is not likely to move up to draft him. First off, Nick is not likely to move up in the first round to take anyone. Secondly, he's less likely to move up to take a QB. Thirdly, he's even less likely to move up to take Jay Cutler as that QB.

DUB
01-04-2006, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=ckparrothead]I'll take a stab if you want.

As of right now Cutler appears to be a stretch even at #16. Do you mean he'll be top ten or it would take a great senior bowl/combine to get him to the #16 spot?

ckparrothead
01-04-2006, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=ckparrothead]I'll take a stab if you want.

As of right now Cutler appears to be a stretch even at #16. Do you mean he'll be top ten or it would take a great senior bowl/combine to get him to the #16 spot?

I mean it would take a nice-looking Senior Bowl and Combine showing to even be worth a 16th pick. It would take a DRAMATIC Senior Bowl showing for him to creep into the top 10. That's what I think.

Everyone loves a QB race. With Vince Young looking to stay, everyone has to think of a guy to compete with Matt Leinart for the #1 QB title. Last year it was Alex Smith coming out of nowhere except there was good reason for him to topple Rodgers.

This year, I don't see any reason to even be talking about Cutler in the same breath as Leinart.

BigDogsHunt
01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=dolfan005]

I mean it would take a nice-looking Senior Bowl and Combine showing to even be worth a 16th pick. It would take a DRAMATIC Senior Bowl showing for him to creep into the top 10. That's what I think.

Everyone loves a QB race. With Vince Young looking to stay, everyone has to think of a guy to compete with Matt Leinart for the #1 QB title. Last year it was Alex Smith coming out of nowhere except there was good reason for him to topple Rodgers.

This year, I don't see any reason to even be talking about Cutler in the same breath as Leinart.

Chris Simms was just on Dan Patrick and he stated that NO @2 should take Cutler over both Leinart and Young. (he hedged and said they should take Young, but since they would be replacing the style of Brooks, Young would be heading down the same road and would scare them).

His opinion isnt any more valid than ours, but I find it funny how many folks are getting on the Cutler bandwagon.

DUB
01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=dolfan005]

Thanks for your input.

ckparrothead
01-04-2006, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=ckparrothead]

Chris Simms was just on Dan Patrick and he stated that NO @2 should take Cutler over both Leinart and Young. (he hedged and said they should take Young, but since they would be replacing the style of Brooks, Young would be heading down the same road and would scare them).

His opinion isnt any more valid than ours, but I find it funny how many folks are getting on the Cutler bandwagon.

Everyone loves a Favre type. I heard John Madden has already proposed to Jay Cutler.

BigDogsHunt
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Everyone loves a Favre type. I heard John Madden has already proposed to Jay Cutler.

Nice! :D

Martel
01-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I wonder how many people on this board have actually seen Jay Cutler play?

Dolfan2788
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I was extremely high on Jay Cutler for a while but i've simmered down a bit now.
1. Due to the fact that a lot of people on the board hype him but have only seen 1-2 games of him.
2. Ck's thoughts on the subject
3. I would rather get Ramsey or trade up for Leinart.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 03:31 AM
I was really high on Jay Cutler until I started checking into his scouting report. I have read in numerous reports that he does not have a good deep ball, and it flutters. I have read on some reports it could be mechanics that he would need to get corrected, and playing at Vanderbilt he never was coached or taught properly. I have a feeling he would not fit into the type of vertical passing game system that we are trying to sustain.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, or more importantly seen some of his games and could tell me what you saw out of him.

dominizzo
01-06-2006, 03:32 AM
JAy Cutler will impress at the combine and he will be top 10 pick IMO

NaboCane
01-06-2006, 03:34 AM
***All Members Please Read - Forum Changes!***
Hello Everyone!

Because the staff at FinHeaven is always looking for better ways to organize, and streamline the site, we've decided to re-structure a portion of it.
You'll notice that what was once the College| Draft Forum has now been split.
We've renamed the original forum to simply "College Football" and created a new forum called "Draft Forum". We are now in the process of moving threads around so that they are in the appropriate forums.
We've also created a new sub-forum within the General NFL forum, called "Free Agents".
We ask that you keep these forums in mind when posting, as we'd like to continue keeping the main Dolphins forum uncluttered, and pertaining to the current Dolphins team.

When posting, please keep these guidelines in mind:

Miami Dolphins - Please keeps threads related to current Dolphins players/staff etc here

College Football - Please keep threads related to current college teams/players/games here

Draft Forum - Please keep mock drafts/draft wish lists/potential draft picks, etc in here.

Free Agents - Please keep discussions about potential free agents here.

We realize that this may mean an adjustment for everyone, but we feel that in the long run it will make things easier for all of us. Not only will it make it "cleaner" and uncluttered in the main forum, but it will also make it easier to find the FA discussions, mock drafts etc...

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Staff either by PM or by posting in the Questions and Comments forum.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation, and we look forward to an active offseason of improving our Dolphins through free agency and the draft, and an exciting 2006 football season!

WharfRat

Skeet84
01-06-2006, 03:39 AM
I totally agree and I think he will be a Bust

Motion
01-06-2006, 03:41 AM
I totally agree and I think he will be a Bust

Based on What?

His down field accuracy is not perfect, but not bad either, but there is no doubt he has one of the strongest if not the strongest arm out of the top Qbs in the draft.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Based on What?

His down field accuracy is not perfect, but not bad either, but there is no doubt he has one of the strongest if not the strongest arm out of the top Qbs in the draft.

From the scouting reports I have read it is not nearly close to being perfect, and it sounds as if he would fit better into a west coast offense. I read one report that said don't expect anything more than a 25 yard pass from him.

Skeet84
01-06-2006, 04:22 AM
I agree Based on whatching Several Vandy games and he can't win. Great Players will win those games. I mean he makes very Bad decisions and he can make plays every onece in awhile but he is very inconsistent!

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 04:33 AM
I agree Based on whatching Several Vandy games and he can't win. Great Players will win those games. I mean he makes very Bad decisions and he can make plays every onece in awhile but he is very inconsistent!

It's very difficult to win when you don't have a supporting cast and your in one of the top conferences in college football. I don't doubt his toughness, leadership skills and winning games. I'm concerned more about his physical tools not meeting what we want in a qb. They say he has a strong accurate arm, but only for about 25 yards. I'm reading he doesn't have a deep ball which sounds to me that he would fit better in a west coast system.

Skeet84
01-06-2006, 04:36 AM
I dont want excuses. The Best Players get the job done. Espacially QB he is your leader and General. You can still make good Decisions and not make stupid mental mistakes!

Motion
01-06-2006, 04:47 AM
I read one report that said don't expect anything more than a 25 yard pass from him.

Thats the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Where are you reading this stuff? Ask the Florida or Tennessee defense if thats the case.

Motion
01-06-2006, 04:50 AM
I dont want excuses. The Best Players get the job done. Espacially QB he is your leader and General. You can still make good Decisions and not make stupid mental mistakes!

WTF? Fact is they wouldn't have won half the games they did without him or be in the close games that they lost. He can't throw and catch the ball. When you have the supporting cast he does you have to take chances and try to make plays.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Thats the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Where are you reading this stuff? Ask the Florida or Tennessee defense if thats the case.

I'm not trying to doubt him, because I have been pretty high on him. After I did some research online and checked out numerous scouting reports I am somewhat concerned with his deep arm strength. I quote" his deep ball seems to flutter" I will get the link for you, because they all pretty much say the same thing. He grades out very good, but I'm thinking he may not fit our system because he doesn't throw a good deep ball.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 05:48 AM
WTF? Fact is they wouldn't have won half the games they did without him or be in the close games that they lost. He can't throw and catch the ball. When you have the supporting cast he does you have to take chances and try to make plays.

I completely agree with you, but I can honestly say I haven't seen much of him. I have just heard that he is very tough, smart and an accurate passer. My main concern is if his arm strength would fit our system.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 06:07 AM

here is the link you asked for. Most of the scouting reports say the same thing about him, and most of it is positive. My concern is his lack of a deep ball arm strength, and if he would fit our system since we want to be a more vertical passing team.

http://www.draftdatabase.com/z_BIO_QB_Cutler.htm

Motion
01-06-2006, 08:22 AM

It boggles my mind how any Gator fan can criticize Jay Cutler and point out one bad play in a double overtime game, on the road, against a Top 10 defense. I'm sure you were holding your breath during that game.

Motion
01-06-2006, 08:26 AM
here is the link you asked for. Most of the scouting reports say the same thing about him, and most of it is positive. My concern is his lack of a deep ball arm strength, and if he would fit our system since we want to be a more vertical passing team.

http://www.draftdatabase.com/z_BIO_QB_Cutler.htm

Thanks for the link.

Weaknesses:
Mechanics get pretty dodgy at times...Footwork is very eratic...Will take unnecessary risks and make some bad decisions...Gunslinging mentality can morph into recklessness...Has too much confidence in his arm at times...Struggles throwing the deep ball...Has not had a lot of success at the college level from a team perspective...Body has taken a lot of punishment throughout his career.

I still don't see anything that you can't attribute to trying to put your team into a position to win with limited resources. I've read articles that said Vandy's coaches basically let have control of the offense. Most if not all of that can be fixed with proper coaching.

hooserdaddy
01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the link.

I still don't see anything that you can't attribute to trying to put your team into a position to win with limited resources. I've read articles that said Vandy's coaches basically let have control of the offense. Most if not all of that can be fixed with proper coaching.

It's a little confusing to me that the profile's will say he has a strong and accurate arm, and then later say he doesn't have a good deep ball. I have read that alot of his problems could be mechanics, and the picks are contributed to him trying to do to much because he did not have talent around him. I really like the traits he possesses. smart, tough, accurate, strong arm, compared to Brett Favre and good leadership skills.

have you seen him play throughout his college career? If so, what qb's armstrength in the pro's would you compare him to, and what qb would you say he resembles overrall in the pro's.

Motion
01-06-2006, 08:56 AM
It's a little confusing to me that the profile's will say he has a strong and accurate arm, and then later say he doesn't have a good deep ball. I have read that alot of his problems could be mechanics, and the picks are contributed to him trying to do to much because he did not have talent around him. I really like the traits he possesses. smart, tough, accurate, strong arm, compared to Brett Favre and good leadership skills.

have you seen him play throughout his college career? If so, what qb's armstrength in the pro's would you compare him to, and what qb would you say he resembles overrall in the pro's.

Yeah I've seen him play quite a bit. He ran an option style offense prior to this year so he didn't get to show off his skills quite as much as he did this year in a more pro-style system. As quite alot of scouts have said, he's very comparable to Favre, not quite the cannon as Brett but still a very strong arm. Mobile enough, takes the chances to make the big plays, and very very tough.

BALLS DEEP
01-06-2006, 09:31 AM
On the radio they were saying that he's really smart and has a cannon. Maybe it's just mechanics. If it is mechanics, imagine how good he'll be!

Caps
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
It's a little confusing to me that the profile's will say he has a strong and accurate arm, and then later say he doesn't have a good deep ball.

It's just different scouts with different opinions. You should try to find some tape on him and form your own opinions about him.

Finfanforever
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not trying to doubt him, because I have been pretty high on him. After I did some research online and checked out numerous scouting reports I am somewhat concerned with his deep arm strength. I quote" his deep ball seems to flutter" I will get the link for you, because they all pretty much say the same thing. He grades out very good, but I'm thinking he may not fit our system because he doesn't throw a good deep ball.

Yeah,

If you remember, Marino slid down to #27 because there was a rumor that he may be a druggy...which was all BS.

finswin56
01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I think the deep ball concerns may be more to do w/ his deep accuracy, than being able to actually throw it deep. The kid has a great arm.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I was really high on Jay Cutler until I started checking into his scouting report. I have read in numerous reports that he does not have a good deep ball, and it flutters. I have read on some reports it could be mechanics that he would need to get corrected, and playing at Vanderbilt he never was coached or taught properly. I have a feeling he would not fit into the type of vertical passing game system that we are trying to sustain.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, or more importantly seen some of his games and could tell me what you saw out of him.

Cutler has a very strong arm, he is a perfect fit for our system.

What they would be referring to in that report, is that due to the poor O-line he had at Vandy, he would often have to throw off his back foot or backing up, which does take away some velocity and can make a pass flutter.

When he lines up at the Senior Bowl, and for the first time has equal talent around him in relation to the defense he is facing, you will see the difference.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
From the scouting reports I have read it is not nearly close to being perfect, and it sounds as if he would fit better into a west coast offense. I read one report that said don't expect anything more than a 25 yard pass from him.

That might be the most inaccurate description of a player that I've ever read.

I have seen this kid play, he has an awesome arm, when you watch him play you get the feel your watching a Marino or Elway throw the ball.

Unlike Young or Leinart or Quinn, Cutler played on a very bad football team, he singlehandedly made Vandy a competitive team, matching the Gators and Vols score for score.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
It's just different scouts with different opinions. You should try to find some tape on him and form your own opinions about him.

I agree.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM

Are you on glue? When Vandy lined up against its SEC foes each week it was always the worst team on the field, it was Cutler that took Florida to OT, it was Cutler that beat Tennessee for the first time in decades.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
That might be the most inaccurate description of a player that I've ever read.

I have seen this kid play, he has an awesome arm, when you watch him play you get the feel your watching a Marino or Elway throw the ball.

Unlike Young or Leinart or Quinn, Cutler played on a very bad football team, he singlehandedly made Vandy a competitive team, matching the Gators and Vols score for score.

They say the same thing about Lemon....elway like....and thats the Headcoach saying that....including Brees.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Are you on glue? When Vandy lined up against its SEC foes each week it was always the worst team on the field, it was Cutler that took Florida to OT, it was Cutler that beat Tennessee for the first time in decades.

And Tennessee was a power house this season?

Caps
01-06-2006, 01:46 PM

You have to admit that they were still much better than Vandy though.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
From NFLDraftscout.com

Analysis

Cutler is a tough athlete who plays with pain, having withstood a considerable amount of punishment behind a poor offensive line (41 sacks) the last two years. He is a mobile passer with enough lateral agility and short area quickness to step up and avoid pressure, but does not throw as well on the run as he does when standing in the pocket.

Cutler needs to carry the ball higher to generate more velocity behind his tosses when dropping back from center to his throwing point. He has a quick release and arm strength to make all of the passes, but must do a better job of stepping into his throws to take advantage of his arm strength. He is smart enough to make calls and checks at the line of scrimmage, but might be a little gun shy due to the poor protection he receives, resulting in him bolting out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure.

He throws a tight spiral and can hit his receivers coming out of their breaks on short routes. But, he needs mechanical refinement, as he slingshots a lot of his deep passes and fails to set his feet properly to get full velocity behind his tosses. In 2003, he sacrifices himself by taking a sack when his receivers failed to get open, but he leaves the ball too exposed, resulting in several costly fumbles.

His toughness and dedication is evident in his work habits. He spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for his upcoming opponent and likes to lift in the weight room with his offensive linemen. He is a medium-stride runner who is capable of moving the chains running with the ball, but will not be one to gain big yardage into the second level. When forced to roll out, he shows better accuracy from the right hash than the left, but is better suited as a pocket passer than an option performer, despite his good foot speed and balance.

He excels with his short throws, doing a good job of connecting with his tight ends and slot receivers on crossing patterns and with his backs on dump-offs. When he sets his feet, he has a quick throwing motion, but when he throws off his back foot, he does not get enough air behind his deep tosses to get the ball over the head of the defender. His deep balls lack ideal trajectory, resulting in a high amount of interceptions and pass break-ups the last two years (18 interceptions, 75 pass deflections).

Cutler shows good intelligence and needs minimal reps to retain plays, but his lack of confidence in his receivers has forced him to wait until the last possible second to throw the ball. He needs to do a better job on read progressions to locate his secondary targets and has to develop better anticipation for his targets to get the ball to them before they break out of their routes in order to have any success at the next level.

Still, there is a lot of potential in this athlete. Patient coaching is well advised, as he will need to take shorter steps in his pass drops, scan the field better to locate secondary targets, step into his throws rather than throw off his back foot and show better patience before bailing out of the pocket. He has enough mobility to gain yardage when needed with his feet, but must learn to throw from the pocket, as he tends to get his base too narrow to generate the velocity needed to air the ball out from the hashes.

He is still a work in progress and while he cut down on his interceptions in 2004, his yardage production also suffered. If he can develop better poise in the pocket, increase his deep ball accuracy and carry the ball chest high rather at the hip, he could be a productive pro player.

Scouting Report

Positives…Has added over ten pounds of bulk and muscle tone to his frame during the 2005 off-season…Shows good mobility rolling out of the pocket and decent quickness driving back from center to his throwing point…Does a good job of hitting his receivers in stride in the short area, especially on crossing patterns…Tough player who absorbs a lot of punishment due to marginal protection, yet has missed only three-quarters of one game and one-quarter of another due to injuries.

Shows good touch and accuracy on underneath routes…Has the balance and lateral agility to step up to avoid the pass rush…Despite holding the ball low, he has the arm power and quick throwing motion to get the ball out with velocity on screens…Can buy time in the backfield when flushed out due to his foot quickness…Has a lively arm with a snappy release (but needs mechanical refinement).

Negatives…Might be a little gun shy from all the punishment he has taken over the years… Needs to do a better job of securing the ball before running, as he has fumbled twenty times the last two years…Must do a better job at the pre-snap recognizing defensive schemes, as he does not always scan the field well…Seems to lack confidence with his receivers, failing to anticipate when his targets will be breaking…Spends too much time eyeballing his primary target, rarely looking off them to locate his secondary receivers…Must learn how to step into his throws to generate better accuracy (steps back on too many of his tosses).

Uses poor judgment at times when flushed out of the pocket, either holding on to the ball too long, resulting in a sack or throwing the ball up for grabs, causing costly interceptions…Has good touch in the short area, but because he carries the ball so low, he does not get ideal trajectory to feather the ball over the head of the defender (this causes a lot of interceptions-18 and pass deflections-75 over the last two years)…Lacks accuracy throwing on the run, especially when unleashing from the left hash…Rotates his hips too much through his release and needs to throw off the front foot more.

Career Notes

Has started every game (34) that he played in for the Commodores…Ranks fourth in school history with 437 completions of 780 passes, topped only by Greg Zolman (596 of 1156, 1998-2001), Whit Taylor (555 of 1016, 1979-82) and Kurt Page (531 of 936, 1981-84)…His 5,624 yards passing rank behind Zolman (7,981), Taylor (6,307) and Page (6,233) on the school's all-time record list…Only Taylor (41) and Zolman (41) have thrown for more touchdowns in school history than Jay's 38…Completed 56.0% of his passes, ranking behind Page (56.7%) on the school's career-record list.

Became the third quarterback in school history to rush for over 1,000 yards (1,041) in a career, joining Eric Jones (1211, 1986-88) and Marcus Wilson (1468, 1989-92)…Only Wilson (24) ran for more touchdowns in a career (by a quarterback) that Jay's 16 in school annals…His average of 5.91 yards per offensive play is the third-best figure in school history behind Eric Jones (5.94 avg) and Bill Wade (6.07 avg, 1949-51)…His 6,665 yards in total offense rank third in school history behind Zolman (7,607) and Whit Taylor (6,727).

2005 Season

Enters his final season with the Commodores as the Southeastern Conference's most experienced quarterback and one of its most talented offensive players…Will serve as team captain for the third-straight year…Earned preseason All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors from The Poor Man's Guide to the NFL Draft.

2004 Season

Two-time captain who started every game for the Commodores...Team's Offensive Back MVP Award winner…Completed 147 of 241 passes for 1,844 yards, ten touchdowns and only five interceptions…His 61.0 pass completion percentage was the second-best season average in school history, topped only by Watson Brown (62.2% in 1969…The only other player to complete 60% of his passes in a season for the Commodores was Eric Jones (60.7) in 1987…Among starting quarterbacks, only Mike Healy (one in 1990), Russ Morris (four in 1959), Bob Berry (one in 1948) and Jamie Wade (three in 1946) had less interceptions in a season at Vanderbilt.

Ranked third on the team with 349 yards and six scores on 109 carries (3.2 avg)…His 349 yards and six touchdowns both ranked second in the Southeastern Conference among quarterbacks…Gained 2,193 yards in total offense, the tenth-best season total in school history…Was sacked 25 times for losses of 195 yards…Fumbled the ball seven times, with the opposition recovering four of those miscues…Accounted for 85 of the team's 209 first downs via passes and added 22 more rushing, including eight on third-down plays and one more on fourth down.

2004 Game by Game Breakdown

2003 Season

Named the team's Offensive Back co-MVP Award winner...Started every game for the Commodores, as he set nearly all VU sophomore passing marks, including completions (187), attempts (327), yards (2,347) and touchdowns (18)...His total offense output (2,646 yards) is fourth best in VU history, topped only by Kirk Page (3034 in 1983), Eric Jones (2853 in 1988) and Whit Taylor (2679 in 1982)…His 2,347 yards passing broke the old sophomore season-record of 2,059 yards by Greg Zolman in 1999…It also ranks seventh on the school's overall season-record chart behind Page (3178 in 1983 and 2405 in 1984), Jones (2548 in 1988), Zolman (2512 in 2001 and 2441 in 2000) and Taylor (2481 in 1982).

Only Taylor (22 in 1982) threw for more touchdowns in a season than Jay's 18…His 57.2 pass completion percentage was the highest by a Commodore in a season since Mike Healy completed 57.7% of his passes in 1990…Third on the team with 115 carries for 299 yards (2.6 avg) and a score…Was intercepted thirteen times, sacked 16 times for losses of 120 yards and fumbled thirteen times, with six of those miscues being recovered by the defense…Accounted for 113 first downs passing…Named team Player of the Game vs. Navy, South Carolina and Kentucky…Selected Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week for his performance vs. Kentucky.

2003 Game by Game Breakdown

2002 Season

Freshman All-American third-team selection by The Sporting News…Freshman All-Southeastern Conference choice by the league's coaches and the Associated Press…Started eleven games, sitting out the Middle Tennessee contest (suspended for damaging a campus emergency phone)…Posted one of finest seasons ever by a Commodore fresh-man quarterback.

Completed 103 of 212 passes (48.6%) fort 1,433 yards, ten touchdowns and nine interceptions…Only John Gromos (1483 in 1985) threw for more yards as a freshman in school history…Also was team's second-leading rusher with 393 yards and nine scores on 123 carries (3.2 avg), the most rushing yards and rushing touchdowns by Vanderbilt quarterback since Ronnie Gordon's 577-yard/13-TD total in 1994…His 1,826 yards in total offense set a school freshman season-record.

2002 Game by Game Breakdown

2001 Season

Redshirted as a freshman.

Injury Report

2002-Missed most of the season finale vs. Tennessee (11/23) with a hip pointer. 2004-Sat out the fourth quarter vs. Mississippi State (10/02) with a neck sprain…Suffered a right ankle sprain in the first quarter vs. Florida, missing the rest of the game (11/06).

Campus Agility Tests

4.81 in the 40-yard dash…400-pound bench press…Bench presses 225 pounds 27 times…480-pound squat…295-pound power clean…315-pound hang clean…32-inch vertical jump…31 ½-inch arm length…9 3/8-inch hands…Right-handed…26/36 Wonderlic score.

High School

Attended Heritage Hills (Lincoln City, In.) High School, playing football for head coach Bob Clayton…Standout three-sport athlete who lettered three years as a two-way starter in football, serving as gridiron captain as a senior…Led his team to a 15-0 record and their first state title in school history that year, completing 60 percent of his passes, going 122 of 202 for 2,252 yards and 31 touchdowns…Rushed for 493 yards and 11 scores on 65 carries (7.6 avg)…Also recorded 88 tackles and nine interceptions as a safety, in addition to returning six kicks, a fumble and interception for touchdowns…Holds almost all of team's passing and total offense records.

Named Coaches and Associated Press first team All-State and Indiana Offensive Player of the Year by S&L Publishing Group as a senior…Also selected Conference and Region Player of the Year…Led his team to an 11-1 record as a junior, passing for 1,200 yards, 14 touchdowns to earn All-Conference, All-Area and All-State honors…As a sophomore, Jay threw for 1,000 yards and 10 touch-downs…First-team All-State pick in basketball, averaging 20.0 and 21.0 points per game in his final two varsity years…Was an honorable mention All-State shortstop on the baseball team, hitting over .400 as a junior and senior…Member of National Honor Society at Heritage Hills.

Personal

Human and Organizational Development (leadership track major…Comes from Santa Claus, a small south Indiana town where Christmas season is a big happening and was raised in the Christmas Village subdivision. The town is also home of popular Holiday World Amusement Park... Family participates in the spectacular holiday light show that draws viewers from surrounding states...Works with mentally challenged children through Vanderbilt’s “Best Buddies” program...Son of Jack and Sandy Cutler...Born 4/29/83... Resides in Santa Claus, Indiana.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 01:50 PM

Regardless of Tennessee's finish in a very tough SEC, do you deny that Tennessee gets bluechip recruits every year and Vandy gets the scraps?

Do you really think Vandy's O-line talent is going to compare to Tennessee's?

Have you possibly noticed how many Tennessee players enter the Pro's every year versus the few who ever make it from Vandy?

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Regardless of Tennessee's finish in a very tough SEC, do you deny that Tennessee gets bluechip recruits every year and Vandy gets the scraps?

Do you really think Vandy's O-line talent is going to compare to Tennessee's?

Have you possibly noticed how many Tennessee players enter the Pro's every year versus the few who ever make it from Vandy?

So one has to wonder why a kid with so much possible talent wouldn't go to Tennessee instead of a school like Vandy....the coaches of those schools must be blind and dumb...eh?

Of course....it was his choice Blue....he had to know that Vandy stunk...not a smart move on his part.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
From NFLDraftscout.com

Analysis

Cutler is a tough athlete who plays with pain, having withstood a considerable amount of punishment behind a poor offensive line (41 sacks) the last two years. He is a mobile passer with enough lateral agility and short area quickness to step up and avoid pressure, but does not throw as well on the run as he does when standing in the pocket.

Cutler needs to carry the ball higher to generate more velocity behind his tosses when dropping back from center to his throwing point. He has a quick release and arm strength to make all of the passes, but must do a better job of stepping into his throws to take advantage of his arm strength. He is smart enough to make calls and checks at the line of scrimmage, but might be a little gun shy due to the poor protection he receives, resulting in him bolting out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure.

He throws a tight spiral and can hit his receivers coming out of their breaks on short routes. But, he needs mechanical refinement, as he slingshots a lot of his deep passes and fails to set his feet properly to get full velocity behind his tosses. In 2003, he sacrifices himself by taking a sack when his receivers failed to get open, but he leaves the ball too exposed, resulting in several costly fumbles.

His toughness and dedication is evident in his work habits. He spends a lot of time in the film room preparing for his upcoming opponent and likes to lift in the weight room with his offensive linemen. He is a medium-stride runner who is capable of moving the chains running with the ball, but will not be one to gain big yardage into the second level. When forced to roll out, he shows better accuracy from the right hash than the left, but is better suited as a pocket passer than an option performer, despite his good foot speed and balance.

He excels with his short throws, doing a good job of connecting with his tight ends and slot receivers on crossing patterns and with his backs on dump-offs. When he sets his feet, he has a quick throwing motion, but when he throws off his back foot, he does not get enough air behind his deep tosses to get the ball over the head of the defender. His deep balls lack ideal trajectory, resulting in a high amount of interceptions and pass break-ups the last two years (18 interceptions, 75 pass deflections).

Cutler shows good intelligence and needs minimal reps to retain plays, but his lack of confidence in his receivers has forced him to wait until the last possible second to throw the ball. He needs to do a better job on read progressions to locate his secondary targets and has to develop better anticipation for his targets to get the ball to them before they break out of their routes in order to have any success at the next level.

Still, there is a lot of potential in this athlete. Patient coaching is well advised, as he will need to take shorter steps in his pass drops, scan the field better to locate secondary targets, step into his throws rather than throw off his back foot and show better patience before bailing out of the pocket. He has enough mobility to gain yardage when needed with his feet, but must learn to throw from the pocket, as he tends to get his base too narrow to generate the velocity needed to air the ball out from the hashes.

He is still a work in progress and while he cut down on his interceptions in 2004, his yardage production also suffered. If he can develop better poise in the pocket, increase his deep ball accuracy and carry the ball chest high rather at the hip, he could be a productive pro player.

Scouting Report

Positives…Has added over ten pounds of bulk and muscle tone to his frame during the 2005 off-season…Shows good mobility rolling out of the pocket and decent quickness driving back from center to his throwing point…Does a good job of hitting his receivers in stride in the short area, especially on crossing patterns…Tough player who absorbs a lot of punishment due to marginal protection, yet has missed only three-quarters of one game and one-quarter of another due to injuries.

Shows good touch and accuracy on underneath routes…Has the balance and lateral agility to step up to avoid the pass rush…Despite holding the ball low, he has the arm power and quick throwing motion to get the ball out with velocity on screens…Can buy time in the backfield when flushed out due to his foot quickness…Has a lively arm with a snappy release (but needs mechanical refinement).

Negatives…Might be a little gun shy from all the punishment he has taken over the years… Needs to do a better job of securing the ball before running, as he has fumbled twenty times the last two years…Must do a better job at the pre-snap recognizing defensive schemes, as he does not always scan the field well…Seems to lack confidence with his receivers, failing to anticipate when his targets will be breaking…Spends too much time eyeballing his primary target, rarely looking off them to locate his secondary receivers…Must learn how to step into his throws to generate better accuracy (steps back on too many of his tosses).

Uses poor judgment at times when flushed out of the pocket, either holding on to the ball too long, resulting in a sack or throwing the ball up for grabs, causing costly interceptions…Has good touch in the short area, but because he carries the ball so low, he does not get ideal trajectory to feather the ball over the head of the defender (this causes a lot of interceptions-18 and pass deflections-75 over the last two years)…Lacks accuracy throwing on the run, especially when unleashing from the left hash…Rotates his hips too much through his release and needs to throw off the front foot more.

Career Notes

Has started every game (34) that he played in for the Commodores…Ranks fourth in school history with 437 completions of 780 passes, topped only by Greg Zolman (596 of 1156, 1998-2001), Whit Taylor (555 of 1016, 1979-82) and Kurt Page (531 of 936, 1981-84)…His 5,624 yards passing rank behind Zolman (7,981), Taylor (6,307) and Page (6,233) on the school's all-time record list…Only Taylor (41) and Zolman (41) have thrown for more touchdowns in school history than Jay's 38…Completed 56.0% of his passes, ranking behind Page (56.7%) on the school's career-record list.

Became the third quarterback in school history to rush for over 1,000 yards (1,041) in a career, joining Eric Jones (1211, 1986-88) and Marcus Wilson (1468, 1989-92)…Only Wilson (24) ran for more touchdowns in a career (by a quarterback) that Jay's 16 in school annals…His average of 5.91 yards per offensive play is the third-best figure in school history behind Eric Jones (5.94 avg) and Bill Wade (6.07 avg, 1949-51)…His 6,665 yards in total offense rank third in school history behind Zolman (7,607) and Whit Taylor (6,727).

2005 Season

Enters his final season with the Commodores as the Southeastern Conference's most experienced quarterback and one of its most talented offensive players…Will serve as team captain for the third-straight year…Earned preseason All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors from The Poor Man's Guide to the NFL Draft.

2004 Season

Two-time captain who started every game for the Commodores...Team's Offensive Back MVP Award winner…Completed 147 of 241 passes for 1,844 yards, ten touchdowns and only five interceptions…His 61.0 pass completion percentage was the second-best season average in school history, topped only by Watson Brown (62.2% in 1969…The only other player to complete 60% of his passes in a season for the Commodores was Eric Jones (60.7) in 1987…Among starting quarterbacks, only Mike Healy (one in 1990), Russ Morris (four in 1959), Bob Berry (one in 1948) and Jamie Wade (three in 1946) had less interceptions in a season at Vanderbilt.

Ranked third on the team with 349 yards and six scores on 109 carries (3.2 avg)…His 349 yards and six touchdowns both ranked second in the Southeastern Conference among quarterbacks…Gained 2,193 yards in total offense, the tenth-best season total in school history…Was sacked 25 times for losses of 195 yards…Fumbled the ball seven times, with the opposition recovering four of those miscues…Accounted for 85 of the team's 209 first downs via passes and added 22 more rushing, including eight on third-down plays and one more on fourth down.

2004 Game by Game Breakdown

2003 Season

Named the team's Offensive Back co-MVP Award winner...Started every game for the Commodores, as he set nearly all VU sophomore passing marks, including completions (187), attempts (327), yards (2,347) and touchdowns (18)...His total offense output (2,646 yards) is fourth best in VU history, topped only by Kirk Page (3034 in 1983), Eric Jones (2853 in 1988) and Whit Taylor (2679 in 1982)…His 2,347 yards passing broke the old sophomore season-record of 2,059 yards by Greg Zolman in 1999…It also ranks seventh on the school's overall season-record chart behind Page (3178 in 1983 and 2405 in 1984), Jones (2548 in 1988), Zolman (2512 in 2001 and 2441 in 2000) and Taylor (2481 in 1982).

Only Taylor (22 in 1982) threw for more touchdowns in a season than Jay's 18…His 57.2 pass completion percentage was the highest by a Commodore in a season since Mike Healy completed 57.7% of his passes in 1990…Third on the team with 115 carries for 299 yards (2.6 avg) and a score…Was intercepted thirteen times, sacked 16 times for losses of 120 yards and fumbled thirteen times, with six of those miscues being recovered by the defense…Accounted for 113 first downs passing…Named team Player of the Game vs. Navy, South Carolina and Kentucky…Selected Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week for his performance vs. Kentucky.

2003 Game by Game Breakdown

2002 Season

Freshman All-American third-team selection by The Sporting News…Freshman All-Southeastern Conference choice by the league's coaches and the Associated Press…Started eleven games, sitting out the Middle Tennessee contest (suspended for damaging a campus emergency phone)…Posted one of finest seasons ever by a Commodore fresh-man quarterback.

Completed 103 of 212 passes (48.6%) fort 1,433 yards, ten touchdowns and nine interceptions…Only John Gromos (1483 in 1985) threw for more yards as a freshman in school history…Also was team's second-leading rusher with 393 yards and nine scores on 123 carries (3.2 avg), the most rushing yards and rushing touchdowns by Vanderbilt quarterback since Ronnie Gordon's 577-yard/13-TD total in 1994…His 1,826 yards in total offense set a school freshman season-record.

2002 Game by Game Breakdown

2001 Season

Redshirted as a freshman.

Injury Report

2002-Missed most of the season finale vs. Tennessee (11/23) with a hip pointer. 2004-Sat out the fourth quarter vs. Mississippi State (10/02) with a neck sprain…Suffered a right ankle sprain in the first quarter vs. Florida, missing the rest of the game (11/06).

Campus Agility Tests

4.81 in the 40-yard dash…400-pound bench press…Bench presses 225 pounds 27 times…480-pound squat…295-pound power clean…315-pound hang clean…32-inch vertical jump…31 ½-inch arm length…9 3/8-inch hands…Right-handed…26/36 Wonderlic score.

High School

Attended Heritage Hills (Lincoln City, In.) High School, playing football for head coach Bob Clayton…Standout three-sport athlete who lettered three years as a two-way starter in football, serving as gridiron captain as a senior…Led his team to a 15-0 record and their first state title in school history that year, completing 60 percent of his passes, going 122 of 202 for 2,252 yards and 31 touchdowns…Rushed for 493 yards and 11 scores on 65 carries (7.6 avg)…Also recorded 88 tackles and nine interceptions as a safety, in addition to returning six kicks, a fumble and interception for touchdowns…Holds almost all of team's passing and total offense records.

Named Coaches and Associated Press first team All-State and Indiana Offensive Player of the Year by S&L Publishing Group as a senior…Also selected Conference and Region Player of the Year…Led his team to an 11-1 record as a junior, passing for 1,200 yards, 14 touchdowns to earn All-Conference, All-Area and All-State honors…As a sophomore, Jay threw for 1,000 yards and 10 touch-downs…First-team All-State pick in basketball, averaging 20.0 and 21.0 points per game in his final two varsity years…Was an honorable mention All-State shortstop on the baseball team, hitting over .400 as a junior and senior…Member of National Honor Society at Heritage Hills.

Personal

Human and Organizational Development (leadership track major…Comes from Santa Claus, a small south Indiana town where Christmas season is a big happening and was raised in the Christmas Village subdivision. The town is also home of popular Holiday World Amusement Park... Family participates in the spectacular holiday light show that draws viewers from surrounding states...Works with mentally challenged children through Vanderbilt’s “Best Buddies” program...Son of Jack and Sandy Cutler...Born 4/29/83... Resides in Santa Claus, Indiana.

Thats a nice report Pete, but its old, it does not contain the 2005 season where he worked out of a Pro Offense for the first time.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
So one has to wonder why a kid with so much possible talent wouldn't go to Tennessee instead of a school like Vandy....the coaches of those schools must be blind and dumb...eh?

Of course....it was his choice Blue....he had to know that Vandy stunk...not a smart move on his part.

isnt Vandy one of the better schools out there acedemics wise?

fishypete
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Thats a nice report Pete, but its old, it does not contain the 2005 season where he worked out of a Pro Offense for the first time.

It's early Blue....when it comes in...I'll post it for you.

As you can see....he has a few problems....too many interceptions and deflected passes....holds the football low.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM

As you can see....he has a few problems....too many interceptions and deflected passes....holds the football low.

to many interceptions?

i really dont know where people are coming up with this stuff.

to many INTs, not accurate.

both are wrong.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:00 PM
isnt Vandy one of the better schools out there acedemics wise?

I don't think it's better than any other major university....maybe he should have gone to Yale....if that was his reason.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
to many interceptions?

i really dont know where people are coming up with this stuff.

to many INTs, not accurate.

both are wrong.

"Uses poor judgment at times when flushed out of the pocket, either holding on to the ball too long, resulting in a sack or throwing the ball up for grabs, causing costly interceptions…Has good touch in the short area, but because he carries the ball so low, he does not get ideal trajectory to feather the ball over the head of the defender (this causes a lot of interceptions-18 and pass deflections-75 over the last two years)…Lacks accuracy throwing on the run, especially when unleashing from the left hash…Rotates his hips too much through his release and needs to throw off the front foot more."

Argue with the experts that really know Nappy.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM

I really don't care Pete, whatever his reasons were, I'm sure they were good ones, maybe his dad went there?

All I care about is the kid is a prototype QB, who took a team with inferior talent arond him and played toe for toe with the big boys.

I'm more impressed when a QB does something good with bad talent around him than I am with a QB that has a great team around him.

I would like to see how highly Matt Leinart would be rated right now had he played at Vandy the last 4 years.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
"Uses poor judgment at times when flushed out of the pocket, either holding on to the ball too long, resulting in a sack or throwing the ball up for grabs, causing costly interceptions…Has good touch in the short area, but because he carries the ball so low, he does not get ideal trajectory to feather the ball over the head of the defender (this causes a lot of interceptions-18 and pass deflections-75 over the last two years)…Lacks accuracy throwing on the run, especially when unleashing from the left hash…Rotates his hips too much through his release and needs to throw off the front foot more."

so basically what these "experts" are saying is that when he has to run for his life, he throws to many INTs, and doesnt have good accuracy. i see. its still wrong.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think it's better than any other major university....maybe he should have gone to Yale....if that was his reason.

i see. i thought they were an academic school. wasnt sure though.

Yale and Vanderbilt is 2 different things. you cant compare the 2 if the kid wanted to go to an academic school and play football.

not only that, alot of QBs come from not so great football schools and do well. so i wouldnt judge him on going to vanderbilt.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM

Actually you'd be wrong Pete, Vanderbilt is a higher academic school, I'm guessing on the same par with a Duke.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I really don't care Pete, whatever his reasons were, I'm sure they were good ones, maybe his dad went there?

All I care about is the kid is a prototype QB, who took a team with inferior talent arond him and played toe for toe with the big boys.

I'm more impressed when a QB does something good with bad talent around him than I am with a QB that has a great team around him.

I would like to see how highly Matt Leinart would be rated right now had he played at Vandy the last 4 years.

I'll give you that much....but the SEC wasn't a terror this last season either. Take away LSU and Florida....there's not much left to hoot about.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Actually you'd be wrong Pete, Vanderbilt is a higher academic school, I'm guessing on the same par with a Duke.

You think Duke is a better school than Yale? What about Harvard?

Nappy Roots
I'll give you that much....but the SEC wasn't a terror this last season either. Take away LSU and Florida....there's not much left to hoot about.

:shakeno: you said this before. and your wrong again.

Alabama and Auburn :confused:

Nappy Roots
You think Duke is a better school than Yale? What about Harvard?

it is if you wanna play football as well

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:09 PM
so basically what these "experts" are saying is that when he has to run for his life, he throws to many INTs, and doesnt have good accuracy. i see. its still wrong.

Actually what they said after watching the tape's...is he carries the football too low....which makes his throws have the wrong angles....which causes him to have too many int's and deflected passes....75 passes deflected in two years!

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
it is if you wanna play football as well

I believe we changed that to academics.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Actually what they said after watching the tape's...is he carries the football too low....which makes his throws have the wrong angles....which causes him to have too many int's and deflected passes....75 passes deflected in two years!

i didnt dispute the deflections did i? i could care less about that until he gets a OLine that doesnt have people in his face to swat the ball down.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I believe we changed that to academics.

:confused: you make no sense what so ever

Caps
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM

He threw 9 picks in 462 attempts this year. Thats like one pick every other game. Thats not bad.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM

Ahh but Pete, your making this assessment on him based on reports that are 2 and 3 years old, I prefer to see the newest more mature version of the product to make a judgement. I make my judgements based upon my own eyes Pete............from games I watched this very season Pete.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
He threw 9 picks in 462 attempts this year. Thats like one pick every other game. Thats not bad.

Every other game? Sounds more like one a game.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Ahh but Pete, your making this assessment on him based on reports that are 2 and 3 years old, I prefer to see the newest more mature version of the product to make a judgement. I make my judgements based upon my own eyes Pete............from games I watched this very season Pete.

Last season Blue....including his prior seasons. But nice try.

Caps
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Sure, if he passes more than 50 times a game. He won't be throwing THAT much in the pros. And is there any QB out there that wouldn't throw at least one pick throwing 50 times?

finswin56
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Of course....it was his choice Blue....he had to know that Vandy stunk...not a smart move on his part.This gem may be the most irrelevant argument that I have ever heard. Thanks for the comic relief :lol:

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Last season Blue....including his prior seasons. But nice try.

No Pete, last season is now the 2005 season, remember....its over now?

2004, which is the last season of your scouting report is now 2 seasons ago.

Even though your wrong so often Pete, I do admire your unwillingness to quit.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
This gem may be the most irrelevant argument that I have ever heard. Thanks for the comic relief :lol:

But you have to admit, even though Pete finds himself so frequently on the wrong side of an argument, his posts can be so out there that they are entertainment.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Vince Young threw 10 INTs in only 325 attempts. On a team that shouldnt even be in the same league as Vanderbilt.

sorry petey, but you lost this one.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
No Pete, last season is now the 2005 season, remember....its over now?

2004, which is the last season of your scouting report is now 2 seasons ago.

Even though your wrong so often Pete, I do admire your unwillingness to quit.

The season just ended Blue....your pushing the envelope on that one....2004 in all sense was last season...until 2006 season starts.

wazzy
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
On the radio they were saying that he's really smart and has a cannon. Maybe it's just mechanics. If it is mechanics, imagine how good he'll be!

That is what I am thinking if you just have to improve his mechanics that means some really good coaching and a good situation and he is a franchise QB guaranteed.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Vince Young threw 10 INTs in only 325 attempts. On a team that should even be in the same league as Vanderbilt.

sorry petey, but you lost this one.

You think Texas and Vandy are even?....please don't say thats what you just wrote....the guys with the nets are coming....:sidelol:

Vandy played against 4 teams with winning records....LSU, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. They lost all of those games....the games they won were against all teams with losing records.

We all know that Texas won all their games...all 13....out of them...nine teams they beat had winning records....including USC...Oklahoma...Ohio State...of which they beat at their home field's. Vandy wouldn't have a chance against Texas.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
That is what I am thinking if you just have to improve his mechanics that means some really good coaching and a good situation and he is a franchise QB guaranteed.

You know it's hard to find a good mechanic.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
You think Texas and Vandy are even?....please don't say thats what you just wrote....the guys with the nets are coming....:sidelol:

Vandy played against 4 teams with winning records....LSU, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. They lost all of those games....the games they won were against all teams with losing records.

We all know that Texas won all their games...all 13....out of them...nine teams they beat had winning records....including USC...Oklahoma...Ohio State...of which they beat at their home field's. Vandy wouldn't have a chance against Texas.

are you that big of a moron. you coudnt figure out that i meant shouldnt?

and you just proved my point. Texas is SOOOOOOOOOO Much better than Vanderbilt..............but yet Vince Young threw 1 more INT in 150 less attempts.

but yet Culter throws to many INTs?

you probably wont even respond to this.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
The season just ended Blue....your pushing the envelope on that one....2004 in all sense was last season...until 2006 season starts.

Uh Pete, I know how badly you hate to admit when your wrong, but the 2004 season was now two seasons back, last season was the one just completed.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM

and you just proved my point. Texas is SOOOOOOOOOO Much better than Vanderbilt..............but yet Vince Young threw 1 more INT in 150 less attempts.

"Vince Young threw 10 INTs in only 325 attempts. On a team that shouldnt even be in the same league as Vanderbilt."

Do you not know what you are writing?

One would expect that Young would throw interceptions against far better teams he plays against than Cutler did....there's no comparison...Texas played the harder schedule...and against far better teams. Vandy...Pffff.

BlueFin
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Probably not, and if he does it will be so off the wall it won't make sense, hopefully its as funny as some of the stuff he manufactures.

Caps
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
"Vince Young threw 10 INTs in only 325 attempts. On a team that shouldnt even be in the same league as Vanderbilt."

One would expect that Young would throw interceptions against far better teams he plays against than Cutler did....there's no comparison...Texas played the harder schedule...and against far better teams. Vandy...Pffff.

You're saying that the Big 12 is better than the SEC? W. O. W.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM

:sidelol: when are you gonna give up the fact that Texas played a hard schedule. From top to bottom i would say Vanderbilts schedule is harder, and they played better defenses easily.

Ohio St and Texas Tech. 2 good defenses on Texas's schedule.

LSU-GA-FL. 3 good defense on Vanderbilts schedule

Vince Young has one of the best OLines in football, its MUCH better than Vanderbilts. MUCH better WRs. MUCH better RBs. MUCH Better TEs. MUCH better coaches.

hrmmmmmm....but he threw 1 MORE INT in 150 less attempts.........

you cant argue this petey. give it up.

ether79
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Probably not, and if he does it will be so off the wall it won't make sense, hopefully its as funny as some of the stuff he manufactures.

:jt0323:

fishypete
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
You're saying that the Big 12 is better than the SEC? W. O. W.

This year it was....Texas proved that. I believe you'll find that in the bowl games the Big 12 and the sec were even in results...so how great could the SEC be?

The only team in the SEC i can see giving either USC or Texas some real trouble would be LSU.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 04:32 PM
:sidelol: when are you gonna give up the fact that Texas played a hard schedule. From top to bottom i would say Vanderbilts schedule is harder, and they played better defenses easily.

Ohio St and Texas Tech. 2 good defenses on Texas's schedule.

LSU-GA-FL. 3 good defense on Vanderbilts schedule

Vince Young has one of the best OLines in football, its MUCH better than Vanderbilts. MUCH better WRs. MUCH better RBs. MUCH Better TEs. MUCH better coaches.

hrmmmmmm....but he threw 1 MORE INT in 150 less attempts.........

you cant argue this petey. give it up.

Try winning records....and what happened to Georgia, South Carolina and Auburn? Maybe their defense's aren't as good as many believe.

ether79
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
This year it was....Texas proved that. I believe you'll find that in the bowl games the Big 12 and the sec were even in results...so how great could the SEC be?

The only team in the SEC i can see giving either USC or Texas some real trouble would be LSU.

Just a point on this Bowl game record. If by chance the Seahawks or Bears win the SB does that mean the NFC is a better or deeper conference than the AFC? I think not. Texas is alone in the big 12. The SEC is kind of like the old AFCE they beat they hell out of each other every year and come out looking weaker than they really are.

fishypete
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Just a point on this Bowl game record. If by chance the Seahawks or Bears win the SB does that mean the NFC is a better or deeper conference than the AFC? I think not. Texas is alone in the big 12. The SEC is kind of like the old AFCE they beat they hell out of each other every year and come out looking weaker than they really are.

Right....now explain how Missouri, Wisconsin and West Virginia beat the high and mighty SEC teams....were they all worn out by beating each other up?:sidelol:

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM

1 team doesnt make the conference better than another

btw......the Big 12 went 5-3 in their bowl games and the ACC went 6-3 in their bowls. does that make them the better conference?

ether79
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Right....now explain how Missouri, Wisconsin and West Virginia beat the high and mighty SEC teams....were they all worn out by beating each other up?:sidelol:

You really have no leg to stand on when it comes to laughing at someone's post. To answer your question they were a better team THAT day. I am a fan of the Big Ten so I could really care less about the SEC and those teams and I am happy Wisconsin won.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM

The ACCs #5 team beat the Big 12s #2 team. what happend there? bowl games arent what measure a conference.

Caps
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
This year it was....Texas proved that.

That's just ONE team. The only good team in the Big 12. The SEC has MUCH better teams than the Big 12. This year, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Florida, and more were all very good. In the Big 12, with Oklahoma falling off, Texas is all there is.

southpawstu19
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
ok all of you people that dont know about vandy, i go to school there, it is one of the nations top 20 academic institutions, and all the athletes must attend class...i have classes with most of the players on the baseball football and basketball teams. they are required to study, which is a lot to say comparing them to other schools. in any event, you can question jay as much as you all want to, but you will see that he runs very very well, two years ago (2004 season) he ran for a 50+ yard td run, and this year was passing on basically everyone. if anything he will rise in status when the combine comes around. doubt him if you want, but again, he was the only reason vanderbilt really has won games in the last few years. and the sec beats each other up, so to say that the stats were comprable to the big 12 is ridiulous. each team in the sec plays competitively with everyone else, including vandy this year. jay cutler is the best option and will make a name for himself in the nfl

fishypete
01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
That's just ONE team. The only good team in the Big 12. The SEC has MUCH better teams than the Big 12. This year, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Florida, and more were all very good. In the Big 12, with Oklahoma falling off, Texas is all there is.

Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech all had winning season's.

Now the SEC...

Florida, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Auburn had winning records.

Now the Bowl games

Nebraska, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas all won.

Florida, LSU and Alabama....won.

Nappy Roots
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech all had winning season's.

Now the SEC...

Now the Bowl games

its over. you dont know anything about college football if you think the big 12 is better than the SEC

Motion
01-06-2006, 07:51 PM

:eek: I seen you write some pretty far fetched stuff, but this one is by far the most baseless crap I have ever seen. :shakeno:

Caps
01-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Now the SEC...

Now the Bowl games

Is it possible for someone to have LESS than zero credibility? Cause you're the closest I've ever seen.

NJPHIN34
01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Since Cutler's stock is on the rise lately and is now projected as a high 1st round pick, would you trade up to get him? A lot of people have said no to trading for Leinart or Young, I'm guessing mostly because they are projected 1-2-3 picks. So if Cutler is around at 5-10 do you pull the trigger?

Regan21286
01-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't think so. He's not worth a trade up. Only QBs even considerable for a trade up is Leinart and Young. Unless one of the big three falls flat in the Combine, workouts, etc (let's start an unsubstantiated Leinart drug rumor like the one Marino had), we're not going to have a shot at any of them and the other QB's out there aren't exactly appetizing or attention-grabbing.

Pocoloco
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
No, not for Jay Cutler. Sorry, but I think Omar Jacobs offers good potential in round 2 or 3, and we probably wouldn't have to sacrifice picks to get him. I would rather have Michael Huff and Omar Jacobs than just Jay Cutler.

If you trade up, you grab a Quinn, Young or Leinart, not Cutler.

HysterikiLL
01-06-2006, 09:18 PM
We'd be reaching at 16 IMO. I just don't see what everybody is so in love with.

NJPHIN34
01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
People are placing Cutler among the names of the other top QBs Young and Leinart. Saying that he could be taken potentially around where they are taken, maybe top 5. If thats the case and he proves himself to be a top pick in the combine and senior bowl and hes there around pick 8-9-10, do you trade up a few spots for him there?

Awsi Dooger
01-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Trading up is the old regime. I predict Saban will trade up about as often as I root for the Gators.

RunningBackGuru
01-06-2006, 11:28 PM
No. I think he will still be available when we pick at #16.

ih8brady
01-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Trading up is the old regime. I predict Saban will trade up about as often as I root for the Gators.

exactly...we have a great coach and a good GM, they need as many picks to work with as possible.

Dors156
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
i would only trade up for young.i just need to see more of leinart at the combine.he is very good but he kinda dropped in that texas game

twg76
01-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Trading up for any other position than QB doesn't usually make sense. That is what the old Miami coaching staff was known for.

Trading up for a QB that will be the future for Miami is not the same old way of thinking. It is a good option, and makes sense. Miami has a big question mark at QB. It has been that way for years now. You can see what happens when you have a question mark at QB. You come up short in the big games. You have to have a good QB to win the big games. Miami needs to get someone who has a strong potential for development for many years to come.

Think about this: Miami drafted the #1 RB in the draft last year. If they were able to get a top 3 QB this year, they would have two young, gifted athletes at two of the biggest positions on the team. Everyone usually admits that alot of the other positions can be addressed in the later rounds of the draft, especially defense.

If Cutler is all he is cracked up to be, then I say go get him.

fishypete
01-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Why would you want to trade up for a Quarterback that's hyped to begin with....let some other team be the fool....and let the right player come to Saban.

Perhaps that right player will be Omar Jacobs....he's certainly a Mueller type of QB....and won't be hyped up like a guy like Cutler.

Phinzman
01-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Anyone have any video highlights of Cutler???

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 01:14 AM
ok all of you people that dont know about vandy, i go to school there, it is one of the nations top 20 academic institutions, and all the athletes must attend class...i have classes with most of the players on the baseball football and basketball teams. they are required to study, which is a lot to say comparing them to other schools. in any event, you can question jay as much as you all want to, but you will see that he runs very very well, two years ago (2004 season) he ran for a 50+ yard td run, and this year was passing on basically everyone. if anything he will rise in status when the combine comes around. doubt him if you want, but again, he was the only reason vanderbilt really has won games in the last few years. and the sec beats each other up, so to say that the stats were comprable to the big 12 is ridiulous. each team in the sec plays competitively with everyone else, including vandy this year. jay cutler is the best option and will make a name for himself in the nfl

Just the guy I would want to know info from. I started this thread and my main concern was his deep ball arm strength, and if he might be more suited for a west coast sytle offense. Have you seen many of his games and what would your opinion be about his deep ball arm strenght/accuracy?

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Anyone have any video highlights of Cutler???

I've been looking all of the net for highlight on him, and couldn't find much.

Miamifin23
01-07-2006, 01:46 AM
There is no way Cutler will be around when we pick at 16. Some have him going ahead of Leinart. He will be a for sure top 10 pick (unless he has some terrible workouts). I would love to have him there at 16, but it won't happen. We need to look for LB, S, or OL... cause there will be some of them left at #16.

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 02:05 AM
There is no way Cutler will be around when we pick at 16. Some have him going ahead of Leinart. He will be a for sure top 10 pick (unless he has some terrible workouts). I would love to have him there at 16, but it won't happen. We need to look for LB, S, or OL... cause there will be some of them left at #16.

I think we could move up to the 10th spot and grab him by either trading Ricky to switch positions with the cardinals, or using the 3rd rd pick that we will probably get for madison if he gets traded in the offseason.

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
I really don't care, He is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy overated. This is how busts get drafted. This guy shouldn't even be drafted in the first round, but because he plays QB and he has all the physical tools he is now a projected top 10 pick.:shakeno:

wazzy
01-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I think we could move up to the 10th spot and grab him by either trading Ricky to switch positions with the cardinals, or using the 3rd rd pick that we will probably get for madison if he gets traded in the offseason.

That is a realistic possibility but you never know! They might need a QB by then!

LoneWulF
01-07-2006, 02:08 AM
man no way we trade ricky to try to get cutler. unless we can trade up to get vince young, no trading ricky williams

wazzy
01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
I really don't care, He is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy overated. This is how busts get drafted. This guy shouldn't even be drafted in the first round, but because he plays QB and he has all the physical tools he is now a projected top 10 pick.:shakeno:

If he has all the physical tools then all he needs is good coaching and thats what we have! I don't see the problem in that :evil:

DolphinDevil28
01-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Aaron Rogers was also a "lock" to go in the top 3 last year.

Oops.

Motion
01-07-2006, 02:11 AM

:lol: Good call!

Motion
01-07-2006, 02:12 AM
man no way we trade ricky to try to get cutler. unless we can trade up to get vince young, no trading ricky williams

Trade a proven running back for a wannabe running back, no thanks.

Coral Reefer
01-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Aaron Rogers was also a "lock" to go in the top 3 last year.

Oops.

Beat me to it.

All these draftniks in here with their guarantees of where someone will go....... blahblah, blah, blahblahblah....
Charlie Browns teacher!

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 02:15 AM
That is a realistic possibility but you never know! They might need a QB by then!

thanks... I know this might not be the most popular thing to say on here, but I think Ricky and Ronnie get better as they get more carries in a game. Having both of them in the backfield and sharing carries reduces there effectiveness as runners.

As for the cardinals, I did a little research and on many of the mock drafts it has them picking a rb. If your the cardinals, why not trade your pic and move down only 6 spots and get a proven back at a rock bottom price. that's my opinion on it, and also remember we could possibly get a 3rd rd pick if we trade sam madison and that will give us some leverage to move up, and still have 3 1st day picks.

what do you think?

DolphinDevil28
01-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Beat me to it.

All these draftniks in here with their guarantees of where someone will go....... blahblah, blah, blahblahblah....
Charlie Browns teacher!

:roflmao:

"whamp whap whap wap...whaaap whap whaaamp."

oxman85
01-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Saban to me seems like the kind of guy who will draft the best availble player, one thing to note with ronnie, roth, and crowder is that they are all high energy guys, I think Saban really likes that too. I doubt we get a QB in the first round because like this poster says Cutler wont be availble and neither will the other guys who are so-called "franchise" Qb's

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 02:22 AM
:lol: Good call!

You probably watched him play since your a gator fan (SEC), what makes you like Cutler so much that you would want to take him in the first round?

DolphinDevil28
01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
You probably watched him play since your a gator fan (SEC), what makes you like Cutler so much that you would want to take him in the first round?

Same thing that makes me like him. (LSU fan, I've seen Cutler several times)

Very athletic, strong arm, heart, toughness, leadership.

So his mechanics need to be tuned. Tell me, which rookie QB's doesn't?

Coral Reefer
01-07-2006, 02:25 AM
:roflmao:

"whamp whap whap wap...whaaap whap whaaamp."

:lol:

Yeah, that's it!

I mixed my whamps with my blahs.... I hate when that happens!

PeaTearGriffin
01-07-2006, 02:27 AM
i think RW is worth a little more then 6 spots in the draft...i would rather keep him and draft huff or greenway

Boone
01-07-2006, 02:29 AM
pssst...hey you guys should think about where you create threads before you make them. I bet the mods are getting tired of moving these....

:tongue:

Disgustipate
01-07-2006, 02:32 AM
pssst...hey you guys should think about where you create threads before you make them. I bet the mods are getting tired of moving these....

:tongue:

Not only that, but the concept... It's pre-workouts, for ****s sake. Arent we at very least susposed to wait until after the playoffs are over for this kind of stuff?

Aqua4Ever04
01-07-2006, 02:35 AM
but because he plays QB and he has all the physical tools he is now a projected top 10 pick.:shakeno:

Isnt that kind of the point?

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Same thing that makes me like him. (LSU fan, I've seen Cutler several times)

Very athletic, strong arm, heart, toughness, leadership.

So his mechanics need to be tuned. Tell me, which rookie QB's doesn't?

You can also describe J.P. Losman with the description you just gave, I would be pissed if we drafted someone like Lossman in the first round.:lol:

Danny
01-07-2006, 02:40 AM
He'll be gone and Nick will take the BAP at 16.Could go LT,LB or DB tho I don't like taking DB's in round one.We've found good DB's later on in the past(Sam,Pat,Poole,Daniels)so I'd rather take a LB or a DL or a LT.

Ozzy rules!!

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 02:41 AM
i think RW is worth a little more then 6 spots in the draft...i would rather keep him and draft huff or greenway

It depends on how you look at it. first off Ricky is one mistake away from being suspended for a year, but the positive is he is playing for league minimum.

If Saban feels that Ronnie is the future rb for this team, then why not use Ricky to trade up to get a franchise qb in Cutler. Ricky would probably not get more than a 3rd pick in the trade market because of his past issues. The difference between pick 16 and pick 10 in the draft is 300 pts and equal to about low 2nd rd pick. Pick 60 in the draft to be exact. Below is the value chart for the 2005 draft which is no different than the 2006 chart I just don't want to try to find it right now.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

DolphinDevil28
01-07-2006, 02:46 AM
You can also describe J.P. Losman with the description you just gave, I would be pissed if we drafted someone like Lossman in the first round.:lol:

I'm not just saying this because J.P. plays for Buffalo, but I'd take Cutler ANY day over Losman.

I'm telling you, if Cutler would have played at USC or Notre Dame, the guy would be in the same conversation as Young and Leinart.

BringBackBerlin
01-07-2006, 02:59 AM

Preach on brother, I dunno why everyone is so in love with trading Ricky to move up in the draft. Why we are at it why don't we trade Chambers, or Ronnie to move up a couple spots. Let's just take the best player available where we are sitting.

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Isnt that kind of the point?
No,it's not.........:goof:

Why don't we go ahead and draft Charlie Whitehurst in the first round while we're at it, he also has all the physical tools.

Motion
01-07-2006, 03:01 AM

So, your saying you haven't seen him play and you said all that about him? :confused:

I'm not just saying this because J.P. plays for Buffalo, but I'd take Cutler ANY day over Losman.

I'm telling you, if Cutler would have played at USC or Notre Dame, the guy would be in the same conversation as Young and Leinart.

Exactly! If not more so.

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 03:10 AM
So, your saying you haven't seen him play and you said all that about him? :confused:
I never said I haven't seen him play. With the little I watched of him I wasn't very impressed. I think he will probably be a decent QB. I think he's going to make some big plays and some bonehead plays in the NFL from what I saw from him. He reminded me of Brett Favre and I think Favre's overrated.

Motion
01-07-2006, 03:15 AM
I never said I haven't seen him play. With the little I watched of him I wasn't very impressed. I think he will probably be a decent QB. I think he's going to make some big plays and some bonehead plays in the NFL from what I saw from him. He reminded me of Brett Favre and I think Favre's overrated.

Wow, tough crowd. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Senior Bowl very much to see how well he plays with top notch talent around him. He has unlimited upside IMO. I was very impressed with what i saw of him this year with very limited resources around him.

Coral Reefer
01-07-2006, 03:15 AM

Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning QB's usually are overrated! :lol:

If a QB reminds you of Brett Favre, he's worth a 1st round pick. I'm not saying Cutler is the next Brett Favre, but YOU used the analogy.

Sometimes I can't believe the things I actually read on this board!

hooserdaddy
01-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Preach on brother, I dunno why everyone is so in love with trading Ricky to move up in the draft. Why we are at it why don't we trade Chambers, or Ronnie to move up a couple spots. Let's just take the best player available where we are sitting.

The reason I propose trading Ricky is because we drafted our future rb last year in Ronnie Brown. Why not trade Ricky to get your franchise QB this year. On top of that it is my opinion that both Ricky and Ronnie are better as they get more carries in the a game and reducing each player's carries could be affecting how much better both could be.

I think Saban even hinted towards that in one of his later interviews. I will try to find it.

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 03:29 AM
I guess I'm the only one who notices Favre throwing INTs like crazy, I'm not saying he's bad, because he is a good QB but sometimes you wonder if the Packers wouldn't be playing better if he wasn't giving the other team all those extra possessions.

SackArtist
01-07-2006, 03:35 AM
Wow, tough crowd. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Senior Bowl very much to see how well he plays with top notch talent around him. He has unlimited upside IMO. I was very impressed with what i saw of him this year with very limited resources around him.

BTW, When you're watching the senior bowl make sure you pay attention to Darell Hackney (QB from UAB). I've watched him play a couple times and I think he's very underrated. He's projected to go in rounds 3-4 as of right now.

Motion
01-07-2006, 03:40 AM
I guess I'm the only one who notices Favre throwing INTs like crazy, I'm not saying he's bad, because he is a good QB but sometimes you wonder if the Packers wouldn't be playing better if he wasn't giving the other team all those extra possessions.

You can't compare Cutler to Favre at this point in his career though. If Cutler has anywhere close to the career Favre has had then we need to do whatever it takes to get him.

BTW, When you're watching the senior bowl make sure you pay attention to Darell Hackney (QB from UAB). I've watched him play a couple times and I think he's very underrated. He's projected to go in rounds 3-4 as of right now.

Yeah, I've seen him play a few times. Not bad.

HysterikiLL
01-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Who the hell has Cutler going before Leinart? I have never seen/heard of that, and if anyone thinks that, they're incredibly stupid.

DolphinDevil28
01-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Who the hell has Cutler going before Leinart? I have never seen/heard of that, and if anyone thinks that, they're incredibly stupid.

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network has written that he's not positive that Leinart is a better prospect than Cutler.

Motion
01-07-2006, 03:54 AM

I don't know if any mocks actually have that happening but I have seen a few places compare the two. Mike Mayock of NFL Network said "If you switch the two, USC would still be undefeated but Vandy probably wouldn't have as many wins." There are quite a few people out there that are really high on him, I've seen Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson bring him up on FOX pregame a few times. I don't think it will happen but if Cutler was at a bigger school with a better coaching staff, it'd be a different story.

HysterikiLL
01-07-2006, 03:56 AM
IMO, that's still one of the craziest things I've ever heard :shakeno:

bakedmatt
01-07-2006, 04:01 AM
get real. wait until april until you say who's going to end up where as far as early to mid to late first. there's the bowl games, combine, workouts, and interviews to be had.

Finfanforever
01-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Why would you want to trade up for a Quarterback that's hyped to begin with....let some other team be the fool....and let the right player come to Saban.

Perhaps that right player will be Omar Jacobs....he's certainly a Mueller type of QB....and won't be hyped up like a guy like Cutler.

It may not be HYPE. After the SR bowl week, combine, indiv workouts...he may be the real deal. We have to wait and see.

Finfanforever
01-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Trading up for any other position than QB doesn't usually make sense. That is what the old Miami coaching staff was known for.

Trading up for a QB that will be the future for Miami is not the same old way of thinking. It is a good option, and makes sense. Miami has a big question mark at QB. It has been that way for years now. You can see what happens when you have a question mark at QB. You come up short in the big games. You have to have a good QB to win the big games. Miami needs to get someone who has a strong potential for development for many years to come.

Think about this: Miami drafted the #1 RB in the draft last year. If they were able to get a top 3 QB this year, they would have two young, gifted athletes at two of the biggest positions on the team. Everyone usually admits that alot of the other positions can be addressed in the later rounds of the draft, especially defense.

If Cutler is all he is cracked up to be, then I say go get him.

IF...is a big word! I do agree with you BUT...I just don't think its the Saban way.

Motion
01-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Perhaps that right player will be Omar Jacobs....he's certainly a Mueller type of QB.....

How so?

Motion
01-07-2006, 08:54 AM
i just need to see more of leinart at the combine.he is very good but he kinda dropped in that texas game

What makes you say that? What are you gonna see at the combine that shows you anything more than what you see on the field in his case?

cltchperf
01-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I think Jay Cutler will be there for miami at no.16, because the tenth team doesn't pick him, then he should drop down. Detroit and Arizona are questionable, but I think Detroit will go with Defense which they badly need. Arizona getting a lineman or rb. McCown has done well, and Kurt Warner too.
The only other one is Baltimore, butthat's up in the air with Kyle Boller, and I think they will get a rb, since Jamal Lewis played pretty bad this season and doesn't look like the same back, but other than those three, Miami is fine. 11the pick is St.Louis, who have Marc Bulger, 12 is Cleveland and they drafted Charlie Frye last year. 14. Philadelphia, they have McNabb. Atlanta at 15, obviously won't get Cutler when they have Michael Vick. I think there is a good chance Cutler makes it down to Miami.

PhinSoldia
01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I think Jay Cutler will be there for miami at no.16, because the tenth team doesn't pick him, then he should drop down. Detroit and Arizona are questionable, but I think Detroit will go with Defense which they badly need. Arizona getting a lineman or rb. McCown has done well, and Kurt Warner too.
The only other one is Baltimore, butthat's up in the air with Kyle Boller, and I think they will get a rb, since Jamal Lewis played pretty bad this season and doesn't look like the same back, but other than those three, Miami is fine. 11the pick is St.Louis, who have Marc Bulger, 12 is Cleveland and they drafted Charlie Frye last year. 14. Philadelphia, they have McNabb. Atlanta at 15, obviously won't get Cutler when they have Michael Vick. I think there is a good chance Cutler makes it down to Miami.

i agree he will make it to 16- no one will trade up for him and most of the play-off teams have good QB's

Pocoloco
01-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Seriously, the guy was projected as a 2nd rounder. Then, all of the sudden, we're talking about him as a potential top 10 pick. We used to talk about how we might be overreaching taking him at #16, now we're talking about potentially trading up to get him??!!

What has this guy done to shoot up the draft boards like that? At least Phillip Rivers had a great senior bowl, but Cutler hasn't even done that yet. As far as I can tell, Cutler played for a crappy team and his claim to fame is almost beating Florida this year. No bowl game, no senior bowl, no combine... what is going on here??

Hopefully Young and Quinn declare and normalize the QB hysteria!

Someone please explain this to me..