PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Jay Cutler I

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

dlockz
01-07-2006, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Pocoloco]Seriously, the guy was projected as a 2nd rounder. Then, all of the sudden, we're talking about him as a potential top 10 pick. We used to talk about how we might be overreaching taking him at #16, now we're talking about potentially trading up to get him??!!

What has this guy done to shoot up the draft boards like that? At least Phillip Rivers had a great senior bowl, but Cutler hasn't even done that yet. As far as I can tell, Cutler played for a crappy team and his claim to fame is almost beating Florida this year. No bowl game, no senior bowl, no combine... what is going on here??

Hopefully Young and Quinn declare and normalize the QB hysteria!

Well these are mock drafts and this is a draft with alot of teams needing a Qb. The combine will decide alot on Cutler.

PhinSoldia
01-07-2006, 02:46 PM
because his best game is a forgotten artform- gunslinging

his best games showed his poise and ability to throw the long ball and people are salivating over it....

the same question can be asked why is everybody on Vince Young's Nuts after one game???

wazzy
01-07-2006, 02:48 PM
A lot of people are saying if he does well at the Combine he can jump to a top ten pick hes not a top ten pick now though!

saves
01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I'd say media hype is really making alot of people over-value him. I mean a month ago he was a second rounder. I still havn't seen him play yet though, but hopefully he dosn't get drafted so high we don't get a shot at him.

Pocoloco
01-07-2006, 03:10 PM
All the hype is just crazy, hopefully the non-Qbs will also have great combines and stop people from focusing too strongly on Cutler

Pocoloco
01-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I think we could move up to the 10th spot and grab him by either trading Ricky to switch positions with the cardinals, or using the 3rd rd pick that we will probably get for madison if he gets traded in the offseason.

I frequent the Cardinals message board, and they nearly all agree that the have other more pressing needs besides QB at the moment.

For what it's worth...

D-Rock
01-07-2006, 04:34 PM
quote from 'The Miami Herald'
> Failing that, a more modest, more doable trade-up gets Vandy's Cutler, whom the Dolphins really like, and who most early mock drafts project will go around 10th to 12th.

link.... http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/13571554.htm

maybe we pick him up to groom in the draft.. :dolphins: :dolphins:

KB21
01-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Greg Cote doesn't know if the Dolphins like him or not. That's a commentary piece where Greg is assuming that the Dolphins like Jay. I doubt the Dolphins have had enough time to know who they like at this point.

southpawstu19
01-07-2006, 04:42 PM
his deep ball, when he can step into it, is just as good as anyones, he threw a few nice ones at the swamp this year. his main problem is that the inbetween routs, like seems and what not, he seems to throw the balls high and miss his targets. we ran a lot of screens and draws this year because our running game wasnt too good, but i think the last two years he was first and second in rushing on our team. personally i think that if he has time, he will be a very good qb. when he has time hes insane, and when he doesnt, he actually doesnt throw that bad of a ball off his back foot haha

The Confessor
01-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I think most of us that have had any visibiltiy to Cutler would agree. Unfortunately, I think he goes before we have a shot...

PhinGeneral
01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Greg Cote doesn't know if the Dolphins like him or not. That's a commentary piece where Greg is assuming that the Dolphins like Jay. I doubt the Dolphins have had enough time to know who they like at this point.

That's not necessarily true. There was a contingent of Dolphins staff, including Randy Mueller, at the ND-Stanford game to scout Brady Quinn because they liked what they had seen of him. Saban might have been a little busy, but there are enough people in the scouting and front office available to think ahead.

NEW-ERA-PHIN
01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
No way would the dolphins trade up to the top three by giving up Ricky, our 16th pick, and a latter draft pick to get Vince Young or Matt Leinart.

We know Sabans philosophy. He will not give up draft picks or players unless the deal is real real sweet. And giving up one of the top 10 RB in the game who is being paid the league minimum, our first this year and another draft pick which most likely would have to be a 2-4th this year or next would be a huge mistake. Especially since the success rate of picking QB is so shakey, picking the wrong guy and giving up that much would set the franchise back two years.

I think the chance Cutler has the most upside. We know what Leinart can do. Vince Young has upside but he has some HUGE question marks. Now, if we had a top 3 pick I would not be opposed to taking one of these two but in no way would I give up a whole for either one given we need such an inflow of youthful talent. Cutler on the other hand has all the tools to be a great NFL QB. he has just been playing in a ****ty program. I would take a shot on him at 16 and possible think about giving up a later pick in the draft or a 2007 draft pick to move up to 9 or 10 if we have to. But the senior bowl and his workout will tell us alot. a wait and see..I have faith in Saban

Dolfan2788
01-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't exactly know but he is a gunslinger which is rare to find and he throws the deep ball very well which like PhinSoldia said teams love.
A lot of people also think that he will have a Kyle Boller like performance at the combine.

Eric-Honduras
01-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Who projected him as a second rounder? Who is predicting him as a first?

Different experts...Difference of opinions..

The guy can play... lets just see what he can do durning the workouts..

fishypete
01-07-2006, 11:29 PM

When your right your right.....I would assume they have some idea of certain prospects....but it's a long ways away yet for nailing it down to that certain few.

Is Couch a smoke screen or a look at the future?

fishypete
01-07-2006, 11:31 PM
No way would the dolphins trade up to the top three by giving up Ricky, our 16th pick, and a latter draft pick to get Vince Young or Matt Leinart.

We know Sabans philosophy. He will not give up draft picks or players unless the deal is real real sweet. And giving up one of the top 10 RB in the game who is being paid the league minimum, our first this year and another draft pick which most likely would have to be a 2-4th this year or next would be a huge mistake. Especially since the success rate of picking QB is so shakey, picking the wrong guy and giving up that much would set the franchise back two years.

I think the chance Cutler has the most upside. We know what Leinart can do. Vince Young has upside but he has some HUGE question marks. Now, if we had a top 3 pick I would not be opposed to taking one of these two but in no way would I give up a whole for either one given we need such an inflow of youthful talent. Cutler on the other hand has all the tools to be a great NFL QB. he has just been playing in a ****ty program. I would take a shot on him at 16 and possible think about giving up a later pick in the draft or a 2007 draft pick to move up to 9 or 10 if we have to. But the senior bowl and his workout will tell us alot. a wait and see..I have faith in Saban

Saban said he wouldn't trade away picks against the future of the team....but he never said he wouldn't trade away picks for the future of the team....if he and Mueller thought that Young or Leinart was the future....I wouldn't discount him trading for them.

fishypete
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM
That's not necessarily true. There was a contingent of Dolphins staff, including Randy Mueller, at the ND-Stanford game to scout Brady Quinn because they liked what they had seen of him. Saban might have been a little busy, but there are enough people in the scouting and front office available to think ahead.

They were said to like Quinn and Young....I'm not sure if they ever said anything about Cutler. One way or the other...I wouldn't believe anything thats said between now and draft day....we should all remember Edwards....and the smokescreen.

Prime
01-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Agreed. I doubt that Saban is talking about or watching film about these upcoming rookies right now. First he needs to think about the changes on the coaching staff and which players to let go and which to keep. I would say that Saban will start to have more interest in these upcoming rookies when the combine starts.

Caps
01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
I think he's jumping up draft boards because people are anticipating a great senior bowl and combine from him. Whether he lives up to it or not, we'll see.

Motion
01-08-2006, 01:26 AM
A lot of people also think that he will have a Kyle Boller like performance at the combine.

First I've heard that. Care to elaborate?

Regan21286
01-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Other than a faint interest in Brady Quinn, I don't think any of the Dolphins FO has looked into the current QB draft crop. I wouldn't mind if we picked up Cutler. But he'll need to rein in his gunslinging mentality a bit because NFL D's are very opportunistic.

Martel
01-08-2006, 04:25 AM
If he's a top ten pick he won't even throw at the combine. He'll just have individual workouts. The Senior Bowl is probably the last time we'll see him, right?

finswin56
01-08-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd say media hype is really making alot of people over-value him. I mean a month ago he was a second rounder. I still havn't seen him play yet though, but hopefully he dosn't get drafted so high we don't get a shot at him. I think the media hype is on the Vince Young bandwagon.

As far as Cutler going up the boards, I think most of it is in anticipation of his combine and Senior Bowl performances. As someone else said, he has that gunslinger’s mentality and skill set, and the other top guys don't have that. It doesn't mean he's the more likely to succeed; it just means his "potential" is great and that Jay Cutler is very intriguing in the face of the other top candidates whom are flawed. This is what happens when the Manning’s Palmer’s are not available.

He's a Johnny come lately as prospects go because of a few factors. He played on a team with inferior talent in a superior conference. Add that with the fact the first few years with Vandy were spent in an option offense. It was only lately that the offensive scheme has taken advantage of his skill set. Since he has just been able to show off his wares this season, most scouts are new to him. It’s one of those things that during the season people can watch him and think he looks good, but because he wasn’t on their radar earlier, Cutler doesn’t register as a legit prospect. Now that the season is behind us, people are able to reflect on his performance. Maybe they’re overvaluing Cutler’s potential, or maybe they’re just realizing what they were missing before? Only time will tell.

It's too bad you haven't seen him, because Jay Cutler is fun to watch; especially as a Dolphin fan that can remember how great it is to have a QB who can sling it.

Motion
01-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I think the media hype is on the Vince Young bandwagon.

As far as Cutler going up the boards, I think most of it is in anticipation of his combine and Senior Bowl performances. As someone else said, he has that gunslinger’s mentality and skill set, and the other top guys don't have that. It doesn't mean he's the more likely to succeed; it just means his "potential" is great and that Jay Cutler is very intriguing in the face of the other top candidates whom are flawed. This is what happens when the Manning’s Palmer’s are not available.

He's a Johnny come lately as prospects go because of a few factors. He played on a team with inferior talent in a superior conference. Add that with the fact the first few years with Vandy were spent in an option offense. It was only lately that the offensive scheme has taken advantage of his skill set. Since he has just been able to show off his wares this season, most scouts are new to him. It’s one of those things that during the season people can watch him and think he looks good, but because he wasn’t on their radar earlier, Cutler doesn’t register as a legit prospect. Now that the season is behind us, people are able to reflect on his performance. Maybe they’re overvaluing Cutler’s potential, or maybe they’re just realizing what they were missing before? Only time will tell.

It's too bad you haven't seen him, because Jay Cutler is fun to watch; especially as a Dolphin fan that can remember how great it is to have a QB who can sling it.

Very well said. :dolphins:

finswin56
01-08-2006, 08:32 AM
If he's a top ten pick he won't even throw at the combine. He'll just have individual workouts. The Senior Bowl is probably the last time we'll see him, right?I think Cutler will have to throw at the combine in order to become a top 10 pick. There are too many doubters due to his recent popularity and relatively short time in an offense that actually throws the ball. Cutler doesn't have a 3-4 year body of work that had him in everyone's sights all year. So, the combine and Senior Bowl will probably be necesary for him to actually become a top 10-15 pick.

finfansince72
01-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Can any of you that know what Saban is thinking, who the dolphins staff like, who they are going to draft, what they will trade, please give the winning lottery numbers this week?

Silverphin
01-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Other than a faint interest in Brady Quinn, I don't think any of the Dolphins FO has looked into the current QB draft crop. I wouldn't mind if we picked up Cutler. But he'll need to rein in his gunslinging mentality a bit because NFL D's are very opportunistic.

Actually, in one article, it was stated that the Dolphins are very interested in Young, Quinn and Cutler.

Problem is, Quinn's not declaring, and Young just pushed his stock WAAAAAAAAAAY up with a National Championship. So that leaves Cutler that is possibly in our reach. Unfortunately, there are a lot of teams with question marks. Arizona, Tennesee, Oakland, and other teams ahead of us might take him.

BlueFin
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Seriously, the guy was projected as a 2nd rounder. Then, all of the sudden, we're talking about him as a potential top 10 pick. We used to talk about how we might be overreaching taking him at #16, now we're talking about potentially trading up to get him??!!

What has this guy done to shoot up the draft boards like that? At least Phillip Rivers had a great senior bowl, but Cutler hasn't even done that yet. As far as I can tell, Cutler played for a crappy team and his claim to fame is almost beating Florida this year. No bowl game, no senior bowl, no combine... what is going on here??

Someone please explain this to me..

Because hes really good.

What makes some of you think these preliminary internet mock drafts are completely accurate prior to the completion of the season?, or at anytime for that matter?

They are done by educated amatuers mostly, and shouldn't be considered a bible to you.

What frequently happens is some of the players from schools that get less visability, such as a Vanderbilt, don't get as much exposure as the Notre Dames, USC's, Florida's etc etc, so they just aren't as well known.

There are many on this board, including myself who told you this guy was a first rounder back when even some of the amatuer "experts" of this board doubted it.

Jay Cutler has Prototype size and skills, he has excellent mobility and is an excellent NFL prospect.

Urban Meyer described him as a "great" quarterback after being taken to overtime by lowly Vanderbilt with the offensive barrage Jay Cutler's right arm put on his Florida Gators.

BlueFin
01-08-2006, 10:17 AM
They were said to like Quinn and Young....I'm not sure if they ever said anything about Cutler. One way or the other...I wouldn't believe anything thats said between now and draft day....we should all remember Edwards....and the smokescreen.

When your right your right........(I just had to do that!):evil:

fishypete
01-08-2006, 01:19 PM
When your right your right........(I just had to do that!):evil:

Now....It couldn't have hurt that bad...;)

Dolphin_Daz
01-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Im not saying we do this....just a theory.....in Saban i trust and what ever he does im sure will be the right choice.

Anyway, we always say 'WE NEED A FRANCHISE QB', well should we just trade up and get it over with? Get the guy we want and then we are set for years?

Im fine with whatever we do. I want to see some CB's drafted and of course we need a QB but Cutler could be the man. Im just posting this to see if people think that Nick should just 'get it over with' and get us a QB.

CD13
01-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Seriously, the guy was projected as a 2nd rounder. Then, all of the sudden, we're talking about him as a potential top 10 pick. We used to talk about how we might be overreaching taking him at #16, now we're talking about potentially trading up to get him??!!

Because he is a QB. There are a dime a dozen and when one shows potential they jump up the boards. To be honest, I pay little attention to it until the Senior Bowl, and combines are complete. Then there is more information out there. I think he definitely goes first round though.

dlphns8405
01-08-2006, 05:58 PM
yes...get it over with and trade up to grab cutler, even if hes not worth a pick before 16th....JUST DO IT!!!

Fireagle89
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
no way, trade RW and our #1 for the 3rd overall n get my boy VINCE

beejay05
01-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I got to agree, there are a few franchise QB's in this draft, and we need to grab one of them. I think i want vince, but we will have to give up a arm and a leg for that spot. Cutler might be the better option and it hink we would only have to slide in front of Detroit. Saban is all about value, and does not like to over pay.

Lazy1
01-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I disagree. If we can get our guy at 16 im all for that, but we need many other positions and can't afford to loose those draft picks. Our staff is very good at getting good qb's later in the draft(mueller) and they have some really talented but raw talents that are worth looking at after the first round (jacobs, kellen clemens, brodie croyle, darrel hackney, reggie mcneal) I say we let our staff do what they do best and that is get value with every pick.

HysterikiLL
01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Look at last season. Smith was projected as a 3rd rounder, one team got on his bandwagon and they all got on. His stock soared, he went first overall and...played like the 3rd rounder he was originally projected as.

NJL52
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I think the media hype is on the Vince Young bandwagon.

Wow. I was going to explain the situation but you said 2 mouthfuls. Nice post.

Lazy1
01-08-2006, 07:56 PM
I got to agree, there are a few franchise QB's in this draft, and we need to grab one of them. I think i want vince, but we will have to give up a arm and a leg for that spot. Cutler might be the better option and it hink we would only have to slide in front of Detroit. Saban is all about value, and does not like to over pay.

I think we will overpay either way, obviously to get in the top 5 for young would be extremely diffucult, but even to trade up 4-5 spots the team will still have to give up alot, atleast another first day pick.

Dors156
01-08-2006, 08:01 PM
if we would trade up i would only get vince

fishypete
01-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Because hes really good.

What makes some of you think these preliminary internet mock drafts are completely accurate prior to the completion of the season?, or at anytime for that matter?

They are done by educated amatuers mostly, and shouldn't be considered a bible to you.

What frequently happens is some of the players from schools that get less visability, such as a Vanderbilt, don't get as much exposure as the Notre Dames, USC's, Florida's etc etc, so they just aren't as well known.

There are many on this board, including myself who told you this guy was a first rounder back when even some of the amatuer "experts" of this board doubted it.

Jay Cutler has Prototype size and skills, he has excellent mobility and is an excellent NFL prospect.

Urban Meyer described him as a "great" quarterback after being taken to overtime by lowly Vanderbilt with the offensive barrage Jay Cutler's right arm put on his Florida Gators.

Why don't we wait for the draft before we crown him a first rounder...I'll trust the people in the know. Every year we go thru this....some kid gets hyped up before the bowl games...before the combine....and then when the truth hit's, it's like gas....alot of noise...but not much there. Jacobs has done far more than Cutler....has the same size...blah..blah....but he's no more than a late 2nd rounder at best....but Cutler is a top ten pick....go figure. Like I said...hype is a wonderful thing....and dangerous...in the wrong hands.

Danny
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't want us to trade up.I think Nick will get us our QB..either in free agency or the draft without giving away picks that we need for other positions.Wanny's gone and so are they days when we had 3 picks on draft day.Let Saban do his thing.

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

Danny
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't exactly know but he is a gunslinger which is rare to find and he throws the deep ball very well which like PhinSoldia said teams love.
I like your mock draft tho the center is a little smaller at around 285 which is very small for HH imo.Now if we get a guy like Betts in the 6th and take a guard instead of the center and we're ok.One thing tho...this is the year to take a top LT...people forget that we've been looking for a top LT almost as long as we've been looking for a QB.

Ozzy rules!! :rockon: :guitar:

umpalu
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM

here is your explination

2004 Prospects
Cutler showed increased throwing accuracy, more maturity, thorough knowledge of the system and greater leadership qualities during spring drills. He enters preseason as one of the Southeastern Conference’s top signal callers, able to produce by throwing or running the football. A two-time captain, Cutler’s progress finding second and third receivers was apparent during spring practice. Appears an ideal fit for Vanderbilt multi-set offense with his dual-threat abilities. A tough competitor, Cutler has started the last 18 consecutive games. Has a chance to become one of the finest quarterbacks to ever win the Commodore black and gold.

Team’s postseason Offensive Back co-MVP Award winner... Started every game for the Commodores... Has started 23 of 24 career games... Set nearly all VU sophomore passing marks, including completitions (187), attempts (327), yards (2,347) and TDs (18)... His total offense output (2,646 yards) is fourth best in VU history... Named SEC Offensive Player of the Week after leading Commodores to win over Kentucky... Threw for 4 TDs and ran for 129 yards in victory over Wildcats... Set career high of 319 passing yards at South Carolina, completing 21 of 23 second half attempts... Finished with highest completion percentage (57.2%) by Commodore QB since 1990... Surpassed 200 passing yards on five occasions... TD total (18) is second most in team history... Winner of team’s Offensive Player of the Week after Navy, South Carolina and Kentucky games.

Posted one of finest seasons ever by a Commodore freshman quarterback... Started and played in 11 games, missing Middle Tennessee encounter... Named Associated Press and Coaches First Team All-SEC QB, and Third Team All-American QB by The Sporting News... Finished season with 103 completions in 212 attempts for 1,433 yards and 10 TDs... Also was team’s second leading rusher with 393 yards and nine TDs on 123 carries... Compiled most rushing yards and rushing TDs by VU QB since Ronnie Gordon’s 577-yard/13-TD total in 1994. Set VU freshman records for TD passes and total offense (1,826 yards)... Topped all SEC quarterbacks in rushing TDs... Led all SEC freshman quarterbacks in every major passing category... Responsible for five TDs (three rushing, two passing) and posted 322 yards of total offense in Furman win... 61-yard TD rush vs. Furman was team’s longest of the season... TD carry capped last-minute comeback over Connecticut... Completed season-high 11 passes in five games... Had 10 or more completions in nine of 11 games... Had two TD passes in four games... Named Offensive Player of the Game after performances against Furman and Georgia... An early-game hip pointer in finale versus Tennessee stopped Cutler’s chances of setting VU all-time freshman marks for competitions, passing yards and TD passes.

Redshirted. High School
Three-year two-way starter in football... Team captain as senior... Led his team to a 15-0 record and first state title in school history as senior... Holds almost all of team’s passing and total offense records... Named Coaches and Associated Press first team All-State and Indiana Offensive Player of the Year by S&L Publishing Group... Completed 60 percent of his passes, going 122 of 202 for 2,252 yards and 31 TDs... Recorded 493 yards rushing and 11 TDs on 65 carries (7.6 avg.)... Had 88 tackles and nine INTs as a safety... Returned six kicks, a fumble and interception for touchdowns... Conference and region player-of-the-year... Participated in the Indiana North-South All-Star Game... Led team to an 11-1 record as a junior...Passed for 1,200 yards, 14 TDs... Earned All-Area, All-Conference and All-State honors... As sophomore, threw for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs... Was first team All-State in basketball, averaging 20.0 and 21.0 ppg in final two varsity years... Also was honorable mention All-State shortstop on baseball team, hitting over .400 as junior and senior... Member of National Honor Society.

Motion
01-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Jacobs has done far more than Cutler.....

:sidelol: Like what!?!?

beejay05
01-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Sad as it is to admitt, Skip Bayliss has caused some of hte hype I think. He has sung plaises for Cutler on several occasions on cold pizza, claiming he is the best QB in the entire draft and such. I dislike Bayliss, but that first and ten show airs like 4 times a day, he gets heard. On a different note, it seems to me Dolphin fans are the only ones that think we have no shot a Cutler. I think we do have a shot unless he lights it up at the combine and the senior bowl.

Nappy Roots
01-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Sad as it is to admitt, Skip Bayliss has caused some of hte hype I think. He has sung plaises for Cutler on several occasions on cold pizza, claiming he is the best QB in the entire draft and such. I dislike Bayliss, but that first and ten show airs like 4 times a day, he gets heard. On a different note, it seems to me Dolphin fans are the only ones that think we have no shot a Cutler. I think we do have a shot unless he lights it up at the combine and the senior bowl.

the minute after the florda gators game i said he had then vaulted himself into the first round. that was the moment that did it, not bayliss's *******.

i too think we have a better shot at him then most people on this board.

Motion
01-09-2006, 01:34 AM
the minute after the florda gators game i said he had then vaulted himself into the first round. that was the moment that did it, not bayliss's *******.

i too think we have a better shot at him then most people on this board.

Right on, i agree. Great game.

finfan54
01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Its the market. QB's are so sought after right now. If Cutler shows good in Senior bowl he will move up surely. But from where? mel Kipers board or teams boards. right now, those are two very different things.

Alex44
01-09-2006, 08:38 AM

Because the NFL scouts spy on us here and when they heard all the positive things we had to say they decided he was a top 15 pick

islanddolphin
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Cutler to me is another Kyle Boller. Played against top notch competition, put up pretty good numbers in college and improved every year heading into his senior season. Heading into the Senior Bowl was considered a third, maybe second round pick, and then with great work outs moved himself into first round consideration and some even thought he was better than Palmer at the time. Well I think we know who the better quarterback is now. Cutler's negatives his is lack of touch on the deep ball and just because he is a gun slinger doesnt mean he will be a great NFL quarterback. I trust Jimmy Johnson and other coaches, who have coached at both levels, who have evaluated talent for decades and who know a little bit more about football than we all do. They all think Vince Young is going to be great, and Johnson actually didnt like him, but he has one thing that all top quarterbacks need - he is a great leader and he knows how to win. Cutler very well could end up being the next Tom Brady but right now he looks like the next Kyle Boller.

fishypete
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
:sidelol: Like what!?!?

Win....TD's....I figure why over pay for something when you don't have too.

Brad528
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
because his best game is a forgotten artform- gunslinging

his best games showed his poise and ability to throw the long ball and people are salivating over it....

the same question can be asked why is everybody on Vince Young's Nuts after one game???
One game that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Vince Young has been a beast every game he has played damn near. DId you not see him in the Rose Bowl the year before. Or how about his other 200 yard passing and running games.

nolefin
01-09-2006, 02:34 PM
I just looked at a 3 round mock draft and it had us taking, jay cutler in the 1st, charles gordon in the 2nd and a.j nicholson in the 3rd....??? like it?
I like it but we need to get a o-tackle somewere.

Oboy
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Where was this mock? I like it.

nolefin
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Where was this mock? I like it.

it was on footballsfuture.com, it was just a guy posting his opinion i like it though, gordon is a good cb and nicholson can start for us, he will fall because of his legal trouble

UCFinfan86
01-09-2006, 02:45 PM
hmm i never herad of Charles Gordon, what Position and school? im guessing he is a DL or CB seeing as AJ is a LB and that was one of our big needs

Nappy Roots
01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
hmm i never herad of Charles Gordon, what Position and school? im guessing he is a DL or CB seeing as AJ is a LB and that was one of our big needs

Gordon is a CB at kansas, guy can run like the wind, and hes been a playmaker in college. he can play some WR to.

ive only seen him play 2 times, so i dont know to much about him.

sports24/7
01-09-2006, 04:14 PM
talk about your dream draft. That would fill three needs with three very good players.

Canadi-Phin
01-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I know this point may sound redundant with Zach on our team but is Nicholson big enough to play linebacker in a 3-4. When I look at the Steelers and the Pats, their LBs are huge and the reason they are so good at stopping the run along with big linemen. Nicholson is no Zach after ten years in the league so I wonder if he could fit our system.

Dr.Rad
01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Yall think we'll draft two QBs?? Would Vick be there in the 5th-6th round?

Silverphin
01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Yall think we'll draft two QBs?? Would Vick be there in the 5th-6th round?

Two QB's? Who said anything about that?

As for this mock, sweet! Three needs in the first three rounds. Heck, we may have a chance for covering all our needs in this draft.

Eric-Honduras
01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
i love it...

but i really like Manny Lawson

K-Ram
01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Does anyone think that manny Lawson will fall to the 3rd round?

Eric-Honduras
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Does anyone think that manny Lawson will fall to the 3rd round?

i wish... but i think he goes late first no later than second...

but who knows..

K-Ram
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
i wish... but i think he goes late first no later than second...

but who knows..

I hope he falls but I don't believe he will

DolfanDaveInATX
01-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Charles Gordon is a classic triple threat. As a freshman, he was a freshman All-American WR, leading Kansas with 53 catches, 696 yards, and 4 TDs. As a sophomore, he was a third-team All-American CB, tying for the NCAA lead with 7 interceptions. As a junior, he was All-Big 12 as an all-purpose player, starting off playing both ways but got moved back exclusively to WR during the second half of Big 12 play. He is also Kansas' all-time leader in punt return yardage. Dude can flat-out ball.

Mike13
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Will Cutler slip even more now that 3 QBs have entered the draft?(Young, Jacobs, Vick)
Will the Jets Take Lienart if he is avalible?
Will the Titans take Vince Young or Lienart?*
Will this allow Huff or other Defensive players to slip?
Will other teams want to trade down?

*on ESPN the other day Chris Mortenson said that Mcnair is Young's mentor, Therefore there is a big chance that Young will lnad in Tennesse, but thats if Mcnair remains a Titan, and Norm Chow would like Matt to be a Titan, so that puts them an in an intresting scenario.

burghPhinFan
01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
from fftoolbox.com, take it for what it's worth:

# This is a player at the quarterback position that shows the skill sets that translate to me as a possible franchise type quarterback
# This is a little known quarterback hidden away in the SEC Conference who happens to be on a losing team with a supporting cast that lacks the ability to raise their level of play to match his skill level, therefore with the lack of team exposure he is commonly pushed under the radar compared to players at his position with more accolades but less talent and skill
# To me he has the total package and traits you look for in becoming a top level winning quarterback at the next level, he is tough, smart, athletic and a quick thinker in the pocket, he is a field general who has total command and control of the offense, with good leadership traits and instills confidence upon his teammates through his intensity and passion for the game that shows through on the field of play, he also does not allow the possibility of failure to control his play on the field, which I find many quarterbacks to do, and he is a calm cool customer in the pocket despite consistently having to perform under adverse conditions stacked against him
# He is an excellent conditioned athlete at the quarterback position who reminds me of current NFL quarterback "Jeff Garcia", in his athletic movement and mobility to run and throw on the move, he is a bigger better athlete at the position who is a better pocket passer than Jeff, with the lack of cohesiveness of his offensive line his running skills are on display more often than I am sure he would like to prefer, with him frequently on the move and commonly taking hits he shows good durability for the position as well, he also gives you the added dimension to extend passing plays with his mobility of avoiding would be tacklers, and once he breaks containment on the run he is a very dangerous and instinctive runner who shows the speed to get up field and gain significant yardage
# He has excellent mechanics and foot work throwing the ball despite the lack of time he receives to throw the ball consistently, he has a natural fluid motion when setting up in the pocket, with a zip on his passes that is rare to see, he has a better than average touch on his passes, and his ball handling technique and skills are top notch
# He posses the knack for accurately delivering and placing balls in the best position for his receivers to make optimal yardage after the catch, and has the arm strength you look for to make any completion on the field, including the ability to throw the ball accurately across the field, a lot of quarterbacks lack the arm strength to do so which will limit a offenses ability to attack all parts of the field, and with his versatility to throw effectively either in the pocket or on the run makes him a threat to any defense
# In this upcoming season this is a must player to watch for, a true playmaker with a lack of exposure who h

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=3

PhinsOwnBrady
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.draftshowcase.com/swmock06.htm

Hey guys look at this mock draft it has the fins taking demeco ryans in the 1st and them taking Cutler in the 2nd do you guys think that he could fall this far?
If he does it would be a better draft then last years just with those 2 guys.

DeathStar
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
cutler will go in the 1st.

after young and leinart. no way he drops to the 2nd round.

i think he will go in the 10-13 range.

Caps
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Cutler would have to break his throwing arm in the senior bowl for him to fall to the second.

PhinsOwnBrady
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Cutler would have to break his throwing arm in the senior bowl for him to fall to the second.

Thats wat i thought

Vertical Limit
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
lol.. You got to be kidding me. If Cutler doesn't end up in the top 5, he will definitely end up in number 10 with the Cardinals, a team who is lacking the QB position just as much as the Dolphins.

BrazForPhins
01-09-2006, 10:15 PM

and that would not be enough, he can heal it in some months and be ready to training camp :D

finsnchips
01-09-2006, 10:15 PM
cutler could very well go top 10 wen all is said and done

bert
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
he's going to the jets ,and that sucks .i would love to have this kid.:cry:

CaptainK
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
The Fins would have to move up to get him. Unless he goes out and brandishes a gun at a local McDonald's. Oh, wait a minute, that was already done. Never mind.

Caps
01-09-2006, 10:19 PM

He may go ahead of us, but it won't be to the Jets.

CD13
01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Why don't we wait for the draft before we crown him a first rounder...I'll trust the people in the know. Every year we go thru this....some kid gets hyped up before the bowl games...before the combine....and then when the truth hit's, it's like gas....alot of noise...but not much there. Jacobs has done far more than Cutler....has the same size...blah..blah....but he's no more than a late 2nd rounder at best....but Cutler is a top ten pick....go figure. Like I said...hype is a wonderful thing....and dangerous...in the wrong hands.

Goes both ways though...yeah he could go down after bowl/combine...but look at Smith last year who went up. QB's are the hardest position to figure. Regardless I hope we take a chance on some QB in the first 3-4 rounds

Vertical Limit
01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Not with the Jets, I read an article a few days ago and Chad Pennington expects to be starting in a Jets uniform next season.

Also, some sources say Jets might be interested in trading down their number 4 pick.

houtz
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
There is no way Cutler falls to the second round.

josekareh
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
That'll be great!!! we could draft him easily!!!

Boik14
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.draftshowcase.com/swmock06.htm

Hey guys look at this mock draft it has the fins taking demeco ryans in the 1st and them taking Cutler in the 2nd do you guys think that he could fall this far?
If he does it would be a better draft then last years just with those 2 guys.Unless Jay Cutler has a Phillip Rivers like week of Senior Bowl practice and has a solid work out youre looking at a 2nd rd player who will be on the board until rd 2 unless some other team in the late first gets desperate and reaches on QB. There's no reason we should pick this guy @ 16 and even less of a reason to reach for a player out of need. Every year some idiot GM/HC gets burned doing that and ends up picking the bust of the draft.

Boik14
01-09-2006, 11:14 PM
he's going to the jets ,and that sucks .i would love to have this kid.:cry:There's no way he'll go to the Jets, certainly not at 4. The jets cap is in bad shape and a QB at #4 would handicap it further. You'd be talking about signing a QB (highest paid position) who's a top 5 pick (automatic 20-25m in guaranteed money). They cant afford that and to still build a competant team. then again Terry Bradway isnt the most competant GM.

Motion
01-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Unless Jay Cutler has a Phillip Rivers like week of Senior Bowl practice and has a solid work out youre looking at a 2nd rd player who will be on the board until rd 2 unless some other team in the late first gets desperate and reaches on QB. There's no reason we should pick this guy @ 16 and even less of a reason to reach for a player out of need. Every year some idiot GM/HC gets burned doing that and ends up picking the bust of the draft.

No way man, all bias aside, he's a sure top 20 pick.

Roman529
01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I think Cutler will go between the 10th-15th pick...which leaves us out, unless we move up by offering our first pick and Reggie Howard to the Cardinals. :lol:

bert
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
14 you may be right.but chad sucked last year ,and had no arm at all.now he is haveing rotator cuff surg.they have nobody-dont get me wrong.i ihope they keep chad-but i would cut him,and start over.martin is gone to.they could trade down, but before the cards.and still get him .after the senior bowl we will know more.we will see.i cant stand the jets -new england-bills all of them,and the season is over.lol

Boik14
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
No way man, all bias aside, he's a sure top 20 pick.Not based on talent he isnt. Dont get me wrong I think he's probably the qb from this draft who will become the best pro but i think scouts and GM's are enamored w/Leinhart and VY. Unless someone reaches out of need then he wont go until late 1st.

Boik14
01-09-2006, 11:34 PM
14 you may be right.but chad sucked last year ,and had no arm at all.now he is haveing rotator cuff surg.they have nobody-dont get me wrong.i ihope they keep chad-but i would cut him,and start over.martin is gone to.they could trade down, but before the cards.and still get him .after the senior bowl we will know more.we will see.i cant stand the jets -new england-bills all of them,and the season is over.lolChad sucked cause he was coming off surgery last year too. Theyre going to be looking to bring in a vet for cheap like we did with Gus and have him to compete against Chad. Thats the most cap-wise move they can make. C-Mart has a cap friendly deal so he'll fix it up and be around for NYJ (hes said as much in the NY press)

GRYPHONK
01-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Don't think he will fall.

But Omar JACOBS WILL BE there

cltchperf
01-10-2006, 12:39 AM
just to save myself some time, here's what I posted in another thread: Vince Young going into the draft helps Miami out

I think Jay Cutler will be there for miami at no.16, because the tenth team doesn't pick him, then he should drop down. Detroit and Arizona are questionable, but I think Detroit will go with Defense which they badly need. Arizona getting a lineman or rb. McCown has done well, and Kurt Warner too.
The only other one is Baltimore, but that's up in the air with Kyle Boller, and I think they will get a rb, since Jamal Lewis played pretty bad this season and doesn't look like the same back, but other than those three, Miami is fine. 11the pick is St.Louis, who have Marc Bulger, 12 is Cleveland and they drafted Charlie Frye last year. 14. Philadelphia, they have McNabb. Atlanta at 15, obviously won't get Cutler when they have Michael Vick. I think there is a good chance Cutler makes it down to Miami.

LoneWulF
01-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Cutler will be on the board at 16. Top 5? Are you mad? With Leinart, YOung, Bush, Maroney, HUff, etc. you think Cutler will be gone in the top 5? You like this guy way too much. Unless he plays lights out in the senior bowl, he definately will not be top 5. But who knows, look at Ronnie Brown. He wasnt a starter and ended up going ahead of Cadillac and Cedric Benson. If Cutler is there at 16 I wouldnt be upset if we took him, but I woulnt trade up to get him. I would trade up to get Vince Young, but I would rather take Michael Huff in the first round and Omar Jacobs in the second. Everyone thinks its unrealistic now, but come on. Senior Bowl and the Combine boosts a lot of players up, and others down. Bad 40 runs and things like that could let anyone besides the top 5 fall. Look what happened to Ernest Shazor last year. Most of us thought hed be gone in the first round, then the second, and then on draft day he ended up not getting drafted at all. Maurice Clarett goes in the third. Anything can happen.
The guy I keep hearing could fall past 15 is Lawrence Maroney. Ya I know we dont need another runningback, but this guy is amazing. I think hes the best back in this years draft. It would be sad to pass him when hell probably be a star in this league. If we were to trade Ricky, which I hope we dont, we should pick this guy up

Boik14
01-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Don't think he will fall.

But Omar JACOBS WILL BE there Gryph, look up the name Jeff Harris. Then you'll understand exactly what Omar is and why he wont make it in the NFL. Omar is his exact clone. Its the same way the Nebraska Qb's all used to look alike when they played under Osborne...

Majpain
01-10-2006, 01:14 AM
If I were the Jets I would trade my pick.

NewEra8
01-10-2006, 01:32 AM
We wouldnt even let Cutler slide by us...

HysterikiLL
01-10-2006, 01:36 AM
He SHOULD go in the 2nd, but will go mid-first. Just my opinion of course.

cowtowndick
01-10-2006, 01:39 AM
The Fins would have to move up to get him. Unless he goes out and brandishes a gun at a local McDonald's. Oh, wait a minute, that was already done. Never mind.

that's funny....

TRUDOLFAN54
01-10-2006, 02:03 AM
if cutler is there at #16 we have to take this kid man i watched that game against the gators this past year and this kid played lights out he would fit perfect in miami cutler in 06......

twg76
01-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Forget about Cutler making it to the 2nd round. The author of that mock draft is dreaming. Young and Lienart will go in top 3 picks. There is no way that the next best QB doesn't go in the next 20 something picks. Honestly... :sidelol:

Motion
01-10-2006, 02:24 AM
The guy I keep hearing could fall past 15 is Lawrence Maroney. Ya I know we dont need another runningback, but this guy is amazing. I think hes the best back in this years draft. It would be sad to pass him when hell probably be a star in this league. If we were to trade Ricky, which I hope we dont, we should pick this guy up

With the holes we have on this team you wanna take a RB with our 1st round pick for the second year in a row?

Miamifin23
01-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Cutler won't be on the board very long. I actually think he has a chance to possibly move up into the top 5-7 escpecially if he has a outstanding spring. There could be teams like us, and some others that might want to trade up to ensure picking Cutler.

Hellion
01-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Honestly I know it's fun to talk about but nobody here knows for sure where the players are going. There is still FA that will dictate team needs and there's the combine which WILL move players up and down the value chart. Then there's draft day trades that may/will effect where players will go not to mention comp picks.

I can't remember anyone predicting Aron Rogers would fall as far as he did this time last year, or that Ronnie would be the #2 overall pick.

I believe this year is gonna be a wild draft.

if you have two guys like Cutler and Greenway sitting there at #16 and they are both players we could use, it's all gonna break down to who Saban feels has the best value for us. If he feels he can get the simular type of talent in the second round at QB as Cutler then he'd draft a LB like Greenway. But if nobody special is sitting there at #16 but Cutler then we take him or trade down a few spots pick up more picks and still get Cutler.

Killer_Dolphins
01-10-2006, 08:01 AM
That had to be the worst mock draft in the history of mocks. He will definalty be a 10-16 pick. He'll land with the Cardinals or Dolphins.

duss12
01-10-2006, 08:14 AM

unless he really scores low on the wonderlic and has a poor combines

duss12
01-10-2006, 08:15 AM
This LB corps is aging and the youngsters who have played have appeared to be nothing more than good depth. Adding Ryans to Channing Crowder and Zach Thomas instantly gives this team a strong corps.

this is why I dont trust this mock draft

BlueFin
01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Unless Jay Cutler has a Phillip Rivers like week of Senior Bowl practice and has a solid work out youre looking at a 2nd rd player who will be on the board until rd 2 unless some other team in the late first gets desperate and reaches on QB. There's no reason we should pick this guy @ 16 and even less of a reason to reach for a player out of need. Every year some idiot GM/HC gets burned doing that and ends up picking the bust of the draft.

Huh? Jay Cutler is a prototype QB, he is a certain first rounder unless some revelation comes to light that is unknown right now.

There is every reason to draft him at 16 if he is still there, which is doubtful.

Busts happen at every position, QB does not own the exclusive right to it, in fact, some of the Dolphins best defensive players right now were taken in the later rounds and some of our biggest busts were taken in round 1.

Brad528
01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I saw some people on Espn saying he might go in the top 5. So I doubt he would drop to the second.

NewEra8
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
haha I just laugh at the site because it has us taking DeMeco in the first.... but has him listed as their 16th OLB.... haha hmmm

rod557
01-10-2006, 08:26 AM
cutler will fall because there r better qb's in this draft. look what happened to rogers and he was the 2nd best last year. once you get past the top 20 picks gm's dont go qb unless they are reaching. example wash. and cambal.

finmann
01-10-2006, 08:33 AM
cutler will fall because there r better qb's in this draft. look what happened to rogers and he was the 2nd best last year. once you get past the top 20 picks gm's dont go qb unless they are reaching. example wash. and cambal.

True..but dropping to the second round, a good QB like cutler...doubtful.

duss12
01-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I saw some people on Espn saying he might go in the top 5. So I doubt he would drop to the second.
Once again....

Low wonderlic and poor combines and the kid wont be taken early

it's that simple in the nfl

Ronnie Rocketed into the top 5 last year mainly because he scored 4.37 40

matched that with his skills made him a top 5 pick

same goes for everyone

BlueFin
01-10-2006, 09:05 AM

Doubt it, and the better QB thing is far from a fact.

He will be the 3rd QB off the board and will be gone by the middle of the 1st round, there is little doubt.

weisdolphins
01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
He won't be available in the second round

Troysif
01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have any videos of Jay Cutler, b.c ive never seen this guy and id like to see whats so special about him

dominizzo
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
guess not but it dont matter he wont be a Dolphin cuz We are picking 16 and he will go top 12 i say to Oakland

dominizzo
01-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Perhaps Baltimore or even Da RAms

dolfan3431
01-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Jay Cutler will be there at 16 I garuntee it weather we take him I don't know but he will be there the teams inhead of us like the cardinals, raiders, lions, ravens all won't go QB in the 1st

Cardinals- they love McCown
Raiders- they won't write Andrew walter off yet
Lions- They haven't givin up on harrington and will go with a veteran in FA
Ravens- Boller is showing promise

All the other teams will be reaching for him

Nappy Roots
01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Jay Cutler will be there at 16 I garuntee it weather we take him I don't know but he will be there the teams inhead of us like the cardinals, raiders, lions, ravens all won't go QB in the 1st

cardnals love mccown? where the helld u read this?

and raiders are banking on their 3rd string QB? doubt it.

Roman529
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM

McClown is backing up Warner.....I think the Cards are going to take Cutler.

dolfan3431
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
cardnals love mccown? where the helld u read this?

and raiders are banking on their 3rd string QB? doubt it.

Ya they won't give up on McCown he looked OK with time he'll be good and why do you think the raiders drafted the guy

Nappy Roots
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Ya they won't give up on McCown he looked OK with time he'll be good and why do you think the raiders drafted the guy

why did the saints draft adrian mcpherson? you think they wouldnt take leinart or young?

and mccown looking OK doesnt mean the cards love him like you said. infact with their situation it would seem the exact opposite.

ChambersWI
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Cardinals- They don't love McCown, but they have other needs (namely O-line/pass rush to go along with Berry/DT to go beside Dockett/FS to go next to Wilson/MLB or OLB to go along with Dansby)

Raiders- Walters might be starter next year. They need another pass rusher, and another LB

Lions- Bigger needs, namely OL.

Ravens- Boller is showing promise, and they need OL and DT.

Nappy Roots
01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Cardinals- They don't love McCown, but they have other needs (namely O-line/pass rush to go along with Berry/DT to go beside Dockett/FS to go next to Wilson/MLB or OLB to go along with Dansby)

Raiders- Walters might be starter next year. They need another pass rusher, and another LB

they all need OLine. but theres probably only 3 OLineman worth a top 15. 1 will got top 5.

Silverphin
01-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Cardinals need a TE as well from what I heard.

Ironically, this is the team that released Lorenzo Diamond before we claimed him off waivers.:sidelol:

ChambersWI
01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
they all need OLine. but theres probably only 3 OLineman worth a top 15. 1 will got top 5.

ah but you forget, offensive linemen tend to go up and down draft boards like crazy. It all depends on what a team needs.

D'Bricksaw will be a top 10 pick, probably top 5. Depending on how many teams need OTs(and now that Joe Thomas is out of the draft), you could see McNeil,Justice,Scott,Winston and even guys like Colledge and Trueblood shoot up draft boards, especially if they have good 40 times.

TotoreMexico
01-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Cards, Lions and Raiders are looking for Qb

finfan54
01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
this kind of talk gets me thinking that someone big will drop to us that noone is talking about yet.

RONNIE H2
01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
all this talk about cutler and Omar jacobs makes me thank god that we didnt get stuck taking alex smith

Jnaledu3
01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I hope he will be there. The only other team that might take him is Arizona.

You also have to remember that some of these teams will address their QB problems through free agency or trade.

calientecarlos
01-10-2006, 10:47 PM
In my opinion....the best QB to take at the 16th in the draft should be Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt......he had a great senior year with some amazing numbers......what do you guys think......do you agree with me.......

Caps
01-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes.

Alex44
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
He wont be there at 16 or so a lot of people think

There are so many threads about this but since your new you wouldnt know that :lol:

welcome by the way

RONNIE H2
01-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Cutler is the only legitimate shot at a Qb at 16 i say we go Defense in round one i wish we could get Ngata

Regan21286
01-10-2006, 10:59 PM
He would be the best QB to take at that pick. But so would Leinart and Young. And like Leinart and Young, Cutler won't be around the 16th pick. So really, there's no good and definitely available QB to take at the 16th spot.

calientecarlos
01-10-2006, 11:07 PM
well......for the slightest reason we cant get cutler......than michael huff from texas would be good and then omar jacobs in the 2nd round......lets just cross our fingers and hope to GOD than cutler will still be around.....

Motion
01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Yes Cutler would be the ideal pick. Nobody "knows" if he'll be there or not, should be much clearer picture after the senior bowl and combine. Huff is definitely my second choice in the 1st as well.

RONNIE H2
01-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Its obvious that we need a Qb and that it will be addressed i just hope FO make the right descision. Either way its exciting to know that we will be drafting a Qb for the Future of the franchise

Motion
01-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Either way its exciting to know that we will be drafting a Qb for the Future of the franchise

We don't know that for sure. I hope so but you never know.

FLOUNDER
01-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I'ved watched some of his games, im not a big fan of cutler

FinAtic8480
01-11-2006, 02:42 AM
NCAA | Cutler hires Cook as agent
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:20:04 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli (http://www.kffl.com/link/17) reports Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler (http://www.kffl.com/player/13538/nfl) has hired James "Bus" Cook to be his agent.

feelthepain
01-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I feel ya', but theres just no way we get Cutler. He will either be gone by the time we draft or Mueller and Saban think 16 is too high for him and he will be gone by our second pick #48.

Motion
01-11-2006, 02:53 AM
I feel ya', but theres just no way we get Cutler. He will either be gone by the time we draft or Mueller and Saban think 16 is too high for him and he will be gone by our second pick #48.

:lol: So he's either too good or not good enough?

Interesting, this guy also represents/ed Steve McNair, Brett Favre, and Randy Moss.

http://www.bcsports.org/james_bus_cook_jr.html

feelthepain
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
:lol: So he's either too good or not good enough?

Interesting, this guy also represents/ed Steve McNair, Brett Favre, and Randy Moss.

http://www.bcsports.org/james_bus_cook_jr.html

Exactly, thats been the fins problem (except last year)!! We finish in the middle to upper part of the draft positions. Saban is a D guy and I could see us looking very hard at either DB or LB in the first. And most of what I'm reading, Cutler is projected in the second, but early second. We aren't in either position to draft him. I'm not sayin this will play out this way, but just by the predictions on the players in the draft and who's projected to go where, I think Cutler is a high second.

PhinSoldia
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM

u know how freaky it seems it does make sense

sports24/7
01-11-2006, 03:44 AM
I really hope we end up with this guy. I think he can be special. If it means trading up I think that is something Saban needs to look into.

Motion
01-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Exactly, thats been the fins problem (except last year)!! We finish in the middle to upper part of the draft positions. Saban is a D guy and I could see us looking very hard at either DB or LB in the first. And most of what I'm reading, Cutler is projected in the second, but early second. We aren't in either position to draft him. I'm not sayin this will play out this way, but just by the predictions on the players in the draft and who's projected to go where, I think Cutler is a high second.

I see where your coming from, but I'll bet the farm he goes early-mid first. At this point he wouldn't even have to have a "oustanding" senior bowl and combine, just a solid one. I've seen talk of him going as high as #3 to Tennessee who obviously know him well and are known to be high on him. Especially if Mr. Bush doesn't come out and the Texans take Young. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Cutler goes before Leinart either, flame away but I've thought that for awhile.

fishypete
01-11-2006, 09:44 AM
All Hype. Just like Rodgers and Smith last year.

ckparrothead
01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Isn't "Bus" Cook the guy who was banned from the NFL for a bit for violating some rules of some sort?

BlueFin
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM

Brilliant generalization, lets write the kid off.......................no wait, maybe he's considered a first rounder because hes a prototype QB who has displayed intelligence and leadership qualities? Afterall, none of the knocks on Rodgers and Smith even apply to this kid.

But wait, are we already writing off Smith and Rodgers after only their rookie seasons? I know Pete, in your little world all great QB's are successful in their rookie season, even if they were backing up a hall of famer or on the worst team in the league as Rodgers and Smith were respectively.

By the way, How did your personal favorite from the last draft do in his rookie season ? Stefan Lefors wasn't it? Weren't you preaching we should have drafted him?

Nappy Roots
01-11-2006, 01:51 PM

:sidelol: funny thing is, you never have any facts to back it up. and never will. why even post that if your not going to present facts an such for an argument. you dont have one.

fishypete
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Brilliant generalization, lets write the kid off.......................no wait, maybe he's considered a first rounder because hes a prototype QB who has displayed intelligence and leadership qualities? Afterall, none of the knocks on Rodgers and Smith even apply to this kid.

But wait, are we already writing off Smith and Rodgers after only their rookie seasons? I know Pete, in your little world all great QB's are successful in their rookie season, even if they were backing up a hall of famer or on the worst team in the league as Rodgers and Smith were respectively.

By the way, How did your personal favorite from the last draft do in his rookie season ? Stefan Lefors wasn't it? Weren't you preaching we should have drafted him?

The same as Greene and Campbell...Blue. Especially well for a guy that was too short....wouldn't even be drafted....would be a CFL QB....Wouldn't you say? And YES Blue....we would have been the better off he was wearing aqua.

fishypete
01-11-2006, 02:46 PM
:sidelol: funny thing is, you never have any facts to back it up. and never will. why even post that if your not going to present facts an such for an argument. you dont have one.

Since when do you need facts for an opinion? Thats all we have here...opinions...you may or may not agree with it...but's it's as good as any other fans.

Nappy Roots
01-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Since when do you need facts for an opinion? Thats all we have here...opinions...you may or may not agree with it...but's it's as good as any other fans.

ok maybe not facts, but atleast substance. you dont base your opinions on anything except for the fact you just plain out dont like the kid for some reason or another.

fishypete
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
ok maybe not facts, but atleast substance. you dont base your opinions on anything except for the fact you just plain out dont like the kid for some reason or another.

Nappy....where have you been? I've said it over and over....every year there's always a few players that get hyped up....IMHO...Cutler is one of them. I didn't say he's a bad person...I didn't say he sucks....he just is getting hyped up.

He's not Peyton....he's not Marino....he's not Elway...all he has going for him is a so-called strong arm and he played in the SEC. If all that was needed to win the superbowl was playing in the SEC....even on a lousy team....how come we don't have any recent, if any....superbowl winning QB's from the SEC?

Sorry...to me...he's being hyped up....he's no better than a 2nd round pick.

kpcane
01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
It seems like this guy is our future, and I've never seen him take a snap. Anybody have any video of him?

Thanks

ckparrothead
01-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Bump.

Anybody?

vinivedivichi
01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/01/09/truth.rumors.nfl/

Interesting article in a lot of ways, but the piece about Detroit wanting a QB hurts our chances of getting Cutler. There are just too many teams before us that need QB's and not enough young ones to go around. The Brees injury you would think would make SD hesitant to trade a starting-caliber backup. Starting to look more and more like we will get shafted once again in our persuit of a "QB of the future."

Troysif
01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
i asked this same ? moday i think it was, i got no answer

kpcane
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Guess we just have to be patient

South Florida
01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
As to keep this thread alive, I too would not mind seeing his arm.

NaboCane
01-11-2006, 04:37 PM
***All Members Please Read - Forum Changes!***
Hello Everyone!

Because the staff at FinHeaven is always looking for better ways to organize, and streamline the site, we've decided to re-structure a portion of it.
You'll notice that what was once the College| Draft Forum has now been split.
We've renamed the original forum to simply "College Football" and created a new forum called "Draft Forum". We are now in the process of moving threads around so that they are in the appropriate forums.
We've also created a new sub-forum within the General NFL forum, called "Free Agents".
We ask that you keep these forums in mind when posting, as we'd like to continue keeping the main Dolphins forum uncluttered, and pertaining to the current Dolphins team.

When posting, please keep these guidelines in mind:

Miami Dolphins - Please keeps threads related to current Dolphins players/staff etc here

College Football - Please keep threads related to current college teams/players/games here

Draft Forum - Please keep mock drafts/draft wish lists/potential draft picks, etc in here.

Free Agents - Please keep discussions about potential free agents here.

We realize that this may mean an adjustment for everyone, but we feel that in the long run it will make things easier for all of us. Not only will it make it "cleaner" and uncluttered in the main forum, but it will also make it easier to find the FA discussions, mock drafts etc...

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Staff either by PM or by posting in the Questions and Comments forum.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation, and we look forward to an active offseason of improving our Dolphins through free agency and the draft, and an exciting 2006 football season!

WharfRat

girthvader44
01-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Isnt he playing int he Senior Bowl? Or Blue Gray Game what ever it is called? If so when is that game?

-GV

NaboCane
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Hello Everyone!

Because the staff at FinHeaven is always looking for better ways to organize, and streamline the site, we've decided to re-structure a portion of it.
We've renamed the original forum to simply "College Football" and created a new forum called "Draft Forum". We are now in the process of moving threads around so that they are in the appropriate forums.
We've also created a new sub-forum within the General NFL forum, called "Free Agents".
We ask that you keep these forums in mind when posting, as we'd like to continue keeping the main Dolphins forum uncluttered, and pertaining to the current Dolphins team.

Miami Dolphins - Please keeps threads related to current Dolphins players/staff etc here

College Football - Please keep threads related to current college teams/players/games here

Draft Forum - Please keep mock drafts/draft wish lists/potential draft picks, etc in here.

We realize that this may mean an adjustment for everyone, but we feel that in the long run it will make things easier for all of us. Not only will it make it "cleaner" and uncluttered in the main forum, but it will also make it easier to find the FA discussions, mock drafts etc...

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Staff either by PM or by posting in the Questions and Comments forum.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation, and we look forward to an active offseason of improving our Dolphins through free agency and the draft, and an exciting 2006 football season!

WharfRat

kpcane
01-11-2006, 04:46 PM
The senior bowl is 1/28

The east-west shrine game is 1/21

ckparrothead
01-11-2006, 04:46 PM
That's not the same as saying they're willing to draft Cutler. A veteran QB that could play right away gives them an immediate answer to Joey Harrington's suckiness. A drafted guy means they have to put up with more suckiness for a while.

Finfanforever
01-11-2006, 04:47 PM

Well said but your forgetting something...PETE IS NEVER WRONG!!!:shakeno:

Finfanforever
01-11-2006, 04:51 PM
That's not the same as saying they're willing to draft Cutler. A veteran QB that could play right away gives them an immediate answer to Joey Harrington's suckiness. A drafted guy means they have to put up with more suckiness for a while.

I think with Millen staying there is less likely of them taking a QB with that 1st pick...Too much mud in Millen's face if they do. What do you think. Am I on to something here or no?

ckparrothead
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Could go either way. If Millen drafts a QB he might think it gives him another 2 year pass as the GM while everyone waits to see if the QB he got is good. On the other hand it could just exacerbate things that they didn't get a guy that could help now, and another losing season would likely do him in for good. To save his job he's got to start thinking of ways to win now. The Packers took Aaron Rodgers instead of someone that could help immediately, and that didn't buy Mike Sherman any time. He's the coach not the GM, but still.

Finfanforever
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Could go either way. If Millen drafts a QB he might think it gives him another 2 year pass as the GM while everyone waits to see if the QB he got is good. On the other hand it could just exacerbate things that they didn't get a guy that could help now, and another losing season would likely do him in for good. To save his job he's got to start thinking of ways to win now. The Packers took Aaron Rodgers instead of someone that could help immediately, and that didn't buy Mike Sherman any time. He's the coach not the GM, but still.

I don't know (gee you wont ever see Fishypete making that statement) For Millen to draft another QB in the 1st round may be as bad as them drafting ANOTHER WR in last years draft.

Oboy
01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Hello Everyone!

WharfRat
So how do you really feel Nabo? LOL

sports24/7
01-11-2006, 06:35 PM
I still wouldn't discount Saban trading up for him if he likes him that much. If Saban feels this kid is our QB of the future and realizes he wont be there at 16 then he will trade up and get him.

MoneyMike
01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Please!!!!!!!!

Awsi Dooger
01-12-2006, 01:56 AM
I know I've seen video clips on Vanderbilt's athletic website before. But it's been a couple of years since I've looked. I think it's vucommodores.com. I remember seeing some video highlights in the press release section in 2002 or 2003 so maybe they still do the same thing.

I watched Cutler all season so no need for me to look this year. I'm just hoping he gets in the Senior Bowl and other allstar games so I can look at him playing with comparable talent on his side.

Also, check out websites of schools Vanderbilt played. They might have video clips that include the Vandy game. I'm not sure which SEC schools have websites that feature football video highlights.

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 08:25 AM
The same as Greene and Campbell...Blue. Especially well for a guy that was too short....wouldn't even be drafted....would be a CFL QB....Wouldn't you say? And YES Blue....we would have been the better off he was wearing aqua.

So is Lefors a starter Pete? Did he lead his team to victories? If not by your standards he is a flop and a failure.

Isn't that how you appraise Rodgers and Smith?

Motion
01-12-2006, 08:38 AM
all he has going for him is a so-called strong arm and he played in the SEC.

Yes, we're all entitled to our "opinions" as you say, but its a FACT that he has an extremely strong arm. Quite possibly the strongest one in the draft.

Jnaledu3
01-12-2006, 09:43 AM

:sidelol:

LOL.

Jim Bates and Stefan Lefors. The fishypete all star duo.

Finfanforever
01-12-2006, 10:08 AM

LOL.

Yeah but Bates and Lefors will be the best because...Pete is NEVER WRONG! Just ask him. :lol:

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I checked the commodores website, no videos. I originally DVRd the Gators game which was supposed to be Cutler's best game. I tell you I didn't come away all THAT impressed ya know, thought maybe he could be like another Jake Delhomme.

I too will be eagerly anticipating seeing him work at the Senior Bowl with quality against quality.

Jnaledu3
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Vandy vs Florida (http://javascript%3Cimg%20src=%22http://images.finheaven.com/forums/smilies/redface.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20title=%22Embarrassment%22%20smilieid=%223%22%20class=%22inlineimg%22%20/%3EpenOnDemandViewer%28%2719547%27,%20%2722810%27%29)

This is the Urban Meyer show after the UF Vandy game. Urban praises Cutler the whole time.

There are a buttload of commercials in it so you have to skip around a lot.

If the link doesnt work, go to this page. (http://www.gatorzone.com/football/)

Scroll 3/4 of the way down on the right side and click Vanderbilt under in the More Video box.

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Vandy vs Florida (http://javascript%3Cimg%20src=%22http://images.finheaven.com/forums/smilies/redface.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20title=%22Embarrassment%22%20smilieid=%223%22%20class=%22inlineimg%22%20/%3EpenOnDemandViewer%28%2719547%27,%20%2722810%27%29)

This is the Urban Meyer show after the UF Vandy game. Urban praises Cutler the whole time.

There are a buttload of commercials in it so you have to skip around a lot.

If the link doesnt work, go to this page. (http://www.gatorzone.com/football/)

Scroll 3/4 of the way down on the right side and click Vanderbilt under in the More Video box.

Before I watch it, Urban praises Cutler in it but is their any video of Cutler playing?

Finfanforever
01-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I still wouldn't discount Saban trading up for him if he likes him that much. If Saban feels this kid is our QB of the future and realizes he wont be there at 16 then he will trade up and get him.

I agree...Saban has a draft philosophy...but he's not stupid.

Jnaledu3
01-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Before I watch it, Urban praises Cutler in it but is their any video of Cutler playing?

Yes.

There are a lot of highlights. They dont come on until after the first commercial break though.

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Cool. I'll check them out around lunch time.

Danny
01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Saban deserves our trust.He'll get us the QB we need.

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

BennyVW
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Millen doesn't have time to develop another QB...

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I think with Millen staying there is less likely of them taking a QB with that 1st pick...Too much mud in Millen's face if they do. What do you think. Am I on to something here or no?

I would think Millens leash is getting short, and that would indicate they may look for somebody ready to play, of course that doesn't preclude them from drafting one as well. unless it was a big name starter.

Jnaledu3
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM

I think Millen is toast after this year, and he knows it.

So he has one more year to show that he was competant in his draft picks. If he drafts a QB in the first round, he is basically saying that Harrington is done and he wasted a high draft pick.

I believe he will get a defensive player and hope that the new coach he hires can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

MiamiDolphins34
01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Teams who are and arent in need of a qb.

redskins-arent
texans-givin up on carr?
giants-arent
bills-arent
patsies-arent
broncos-arent
chargers-arent
cards-giving up on mccown?
saints-giving up on brooks?
falcons-arent
ravens-giving up on boller?
jets-givin up on penny?
steelers-arent
eagles-arent
chiefs-could draft 1 since green is getting old
hawks-arent
bengals-arent
browns-arent
jax-arent
titans-are in need
raiders-arent
9ers-arent
rams-arent
bears-arent
vikes-arent
pack-arent
panthers-dont think so
bucs-arent
colts-arent
lions-giving up on harrington?

So about 5 teams are in need of a qb but especially 2 or 3 teams so hopefully 1 of those doesnt give up on its qb and go another position enabling us to draft Cutler.

vmarcilfan75
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
i think our only threats(who are ahead of us) of taking Cutler are Cardinals, Lions, Ravens

BennyVW
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
And i think that this thread will be moved following a post with a lot of capital letters in it...

Dredd1050
01-12-2006, 01:10 PM

redskins-arent
texans-givin up on carr?
giants-arent
bills-arent
patsies-arent
broncos-arent
chargers-arent
cards-giving up on mccown?
saints-giving up on brooks?
falcons-arent
ravens-giving up on boller?
jets-givin up on penny?
steelers-arent
eagles-arent
hawks-arent
bengals-arent
browns-arent
jax-arent
titans-are in need
raiders-arent
9ers-arent
rams-arent
bears-arent
vikes-arent
pack-arent
panthers-dont think so
bucs-arent
colts-arent
lions-giving up on harrington?

So about 5 teams are in need of a qb but especially 2 or 3 teams so hopefully 1 of those doesnt give up on its qb and go another position enabling us to draft Cutler.

Bills down on JP, Cards done with McCown experiment, Saints will get Lion or Young, Ravens down on Boller, Jets definitely need a qb, Raiders you never know, Bucs may lose Simms. Other than those, I agree.

Lappy
01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Nice thread,

I really don't think that KC will draft a qb now that they have signed Printers.

So maybe that puts us in a better situation. All we can do know is wait and see.

but maybe we could trade Ricky, TO, Mcnair and Culpepper for the first spot and then draft Vince Young! :P

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 01:11 PM
That's some great footage there. A couple of those throws were nice, but the one where Cutler rolled to his left and then shouldered out a fast ball about 10-15 yards down the field into a tight space made me salivate. Then again, the touchdown where Cutler just threw a duck off his back foot and the receiver totally bailed him out made me seriously cringe. On the one hand if Cutler didn't have a strong arm that receiver can't make that play. On the other, Cutler should not have thrown that ball, nor should he have thrown that ball in tight man coverage at the end where the corner stepped in front and wrestled it away. Too much confidence in the arm.

Finfanforever
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I think Millen is toast after this year, and he knows it.

So he has one more year to show that he was competant in his draft picks. If he drafts a QB in the first round, he is basically saying that Harrington is done and he wasted a high draft pick.

I believe he will get a defensive player and hope that the new coach he hires can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

This was exactly my thought. I really look for the Lions to go after someone like Ramsey, Kitna, or even Rivers to compete with Harrington. In this senario Millen has the veteran to compete and perhaps save his job in case Harrington stinks up the joint as usual. In the mean-time Millen will draft IMO the best defensive player on the board...a "no miss" pick if you please...showing the bosses he can draft...which he has yet to prove.

This is just a theory of course.

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
i think our only threats(who are ahead of us) of taking Cutler are Cardinals, Lions, Ravens

I think its just the Cardinals and Lions, I'm hoping Denny Green has Wannstedts disease and is too impatient to want to groom a young QB.

The Ravens will give Boller another year, remember, this is the team that won a Superbowl with Dilfer.

Of course, you also have to worry about some other team trading down or up to get in front of us, knowing our QB need.

BennyVW
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Denny green likes vetran QB's that he an plug in.... i doubt he will draft a QB.

finfan54
01-12-2006, 01:24 PM

redskins-arent
texans-givin up on carr? bets say he stays unless traded for (restructured)
giants-arent
bills-arent Who says? Marv Levy will take a guy like Cutler for the future and get rid of donoblows mess
patsies-arent
broncos-arent
chargers-arent
cards-giving up on mccown? Why not?
saints-giving up on brooks? defenitely
falcons-arent
ravens-giving up on boller? No, but maybe they draft the best guy on their board regardless
jets-givin up on penny? Vince Young is my biggest fear here.
steelers-arent
eagles-arent
hawks-arent
bengals-arent
browns-arent
jax-arent
titans-are in need Titans likely to take Young on early bets Please do for our sake!
raiders-arent they arent? Um, i would rethink this
9ers-arent
rams-arent
bears-arent maybe not, may draft a QB anyways in later rounds
vikes-arent
pack-arent Aarron Rogers? Big Big bust, people will see. If i liked Jay Cutler as new HC, I would take Jay and trade Rogers or keep him. Screw Farve, retire already!
panthers-dont think so
bucs-arent
colts-arent
lions-giving up on harrington? Lions are looking, new changes coming

wrong. QB is the biggest commodity in the NFL now. Teams will always look because you cannot take risks of not drafting a stud QB if you think he is. The good thing is that alot of QB's will get snagged in FA to take some of my comments out of play.

Nappy Roots
01-12-2006, 01:24 PM
That's some great footage there. A couple of those throws were nice, but the one where Cutler rolled to his left and then shouldered out a fast ball about 10-15 yards down the field into a tight space made me salivate. Then again, the touchdown where Cutler just threw a duck off his back foot and the receiver totally bailed him out made me seriously cringe. On the one hand if Cutler didn't have a strong arm that receiver can't make that play. On the other, Cutler should not have thrown that ball, nor should he have thrown that ball in tight man coverage at the end where the corner stepped in front and wrestled it away. Too much confidence in the arm.

cant believe that throw got in there. but i dont think you can have to much confidence in your arm. guys that are gun shy like kyle boller and david carr havent worked out. id rather have a guy that trys to make the tough throw, that doenst think about the throw, but does it....

by the way, i watched this entire game and was amazed by cutler, but theres one thing ive never noticed before watching that. and that was his shoulders and his release. reminds me so much of a very good QB in the NFL right now, even when hes on the run, his shoulds, quick release and throwing motion match him amazingly IMO. tell me CK, do you see it?

MiamiDolphins34
01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
wrong. QB is the biggest commodity in the NFL now. Teams will always look because you cannot take risks of not drafting a stud QB if you think he is. The good thing is that alot of QB's will get snagged in FA to take some of my comments out of play.

The raiders drafted qb Andrew Walter so i dont think they draft another qb.

etsudolfan
01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey..I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think this guy could be our guy! He was one of the best quarterbacks in NCAA..had he been on a team like Michigan, USC, Texas, or some team like that..he would have definitely gotten a lot more attention. This guy is a hidden gem and I hope we can pick him up with our #16 pick or trade up to get him.

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM

On the other hand, here is a QB whose team is desperately outmatched by superior overall talent, the only chance of pulling an upset is taking chances.

I'm quite sure any QB facing Florida's defense with Vandy's O-line in front of him will be throwing off his backfoot a lot.

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
cant believe that throw got in there. but i dont think you can have to much confidence in your arm. guys that are gun shy like kyle boller and david carr havent worked out. id rather have a guy that trys to make the tough throw, that doenst think about the throw, but does it....

by the way, i watched this entire game and was amazed by cutler, but theres one thing ive never noticed before watching that. and that was his shoulders and his release. reminds me so much of a very good QB in the NFL right now, even when hes on the run, his shoulds, quick release and throwing motion match him amazingly IMO. tell me CK, do you see it?

First I do think you can play with too much confidence in your arm...and it results in too many interceptions. That last interception was a perfect example...guy was painted in man coverage and Cutler fired it in thinking he could get it into that tight spot fast enough to complete it...except there wasn't even a tight spot. The back foot throws are another example of too much confidence in the arm. They shouldn't be thrown, period, but he's got confidence that he can get it there and what comes out instead is a ball that "hangs in the air forever" as Urban Meyer said.

I look at his shoulder throws and I think a little bit of Steve McNair, a little bit of Jake Delhomme. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder though. Who do you see?

Nappy Roots
01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
and that was his shoulders and his release. reminds me so much of a very good QB in the NFL right now, even when hes on the run, his shoulds, quick release and throwing motion match him amazingly IMO. tell me CK, do you see it?

nobody else sees this? the way he keeps his shoulders so flat, the way he releases that ball and puts so much velocity on it?

splitten image

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
nobody else sees this? the way he keeps his shoulders so flat, the way he releases that ball and puts so much velocity on it?

splitten image

The problem is you're describing about 75% of the 20 to 25 strong-armed QB starters in the NFL.

Nappy Roots
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
First I do think you can play with too much confidence in your arm...and it results in too many interceptions. That last interception was a perfect example...guy was painted in man coverage and Cutler fired it in thinking he could get it into that tight spot fast enough to complete it...except there wasn't even a tight spot. The back foot throws are another example of too much confidence in the arm. They shouldn't be thrown, period, but he's got confidence that he can get it there and what comes out instead is a ball that "hangs in the air forever" as Urban Meyer said.

I look at his shoulder throws and I think a little bit of Steve McNair, a little bit of Jake Delhomme. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder though. Who do you see?

i mean, sure at some point you can have too much confidence, but at what point do you draw the line i guess..

man, go back and look at the way he keeps his shoulders so flat, his quick release, and you could say his arm as well, looks exactly like carson palmer IMO.

obviously im not saying he is carson, im just comparing throwing mechanics.

Nappy Roots
01-12-2006, 01:36 PM
The problem is you're describing about 75% of the 20 to 25 strong-armed QB starters in the NFL.

:sidelol: true. i was more talkin about throwing mechanics though.

BennyVW
01-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Go to the draft forum. Most guys here will agree with you...

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Eh...maybe...but again, you're describing about 75% of the strong-armed guys in the league. Most of them have a good arm because they keep their shoulders level and most of them have a good arm. I don't see much difference there between Cutler's release, Delhomme's, McNair's, Palmer's...heck Kerry Collins.

Nappy Roots
01-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Eh...maybe...but again, you're describing about 75% of the strong-armed guys in the league. Most of them have a good arm because they keep their shoulders level and most of them have a good arm. I don't see much difference there between Cutler's release, Delhomme's, McNair's, Palmer's...heck Kerry Collins.

i definitly see a difference in their windups and release.

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM

splitten image

When I first saw him play, the release and throwing motion made me think of Marino, I don't know which current player your thinking of, but when I saw him play, I knew I was watching a big time NFL quality talent in regards to those things.

etsudolfan
01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I hope we get this guy...he is awesome! and probably a hidden gem!

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't think Cutler has Carson Palmer's 80 yard arm.

alexwr4
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey..I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think this guy could be our guy! He was one of the best quarterbacks in NCAA..had he been on a team like Michigan, USC, Texas, or some team like that..he would have definitely gotten a lot more attention. This guy is a hidden gem and I hope we can pick him up with our #16 pick or trade up to get him.

Can somebody share some Cutler highlights?? How is he? a pure passer qb? scrambling? what about this guy?¿

sports24/7
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
I doubt the Ravens will. Billick has said he wants to bring in a vet to compete with Boller. It would seem like the Lions and Cards are the two teams that could take him with an outside possibility of the Raiders. I really hope he is there though.

NaboCane
01-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Hello Everyone!

WharfRat

305 LoCaL VoCaL
01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
with lendell white and omar jacobs declaring I think our chances of getting cutler have increased significantly

DeathStar
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
i love how you keep doign that nabocane.

it seems like no one listens to you.

NaboCane
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
i love how you keep doign that nabocane.

it seems like no one listens to you.

:lol: One poster at a time...

I really believe (from observation) that most of these are honest mistakes by members who just doen't post very often. Everyone will be on board eventually.

BlueFin
01-12-2006, 02:12 PM

LOL.

Classic........Pete would make a fine GM for the Jets.

NLude33
01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I has impressed with some of those throws. His escape from the sack down in their own end, and then a great throw for 30 yards was very nice. But I agree with CK, some of the throws (the lob to the goal line, and the INT to loose the game) are really really really bad decisions. From this short video, it looks like he has great vision though, and really hangs in the pocket. The TD pass on the short slant was a rocket, you couldn't even see the ball in the video.

ckparrothead
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I has impressed with some of those throws. His escape from the sack down in their own end, and then a great throw for 30 yards was very nice. But I agree with CK, some of the throws (the lob to the goal line, and the INT to loose the game) are really really really bad decisions. From this short video, it looks like he has great vision though, and really hangs in the pocket. The TD pass on the short slant was a rocket, you couldn't even see the ball in the video.

LOL I know, I rewinded just to try and catch the ball traveling a few times. Talk about a fast ball.

BTW did anyone else notice when Urban Meyer, prior to the highlights, mentioned that "we didn't really have a downfield presence so..."

Doesn't speak very highly of Chad Jackson. Kind of interesting the things you can glean in unexpected situations that you probably could NOT get if you just sat and asked Urban Meyer what he thinks of Chad Jackson. He'd probably speak glowingly about him, but the reality is Urban feels like he does not have a downfield presence...

TimeGap
01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I Pray to God The Lions & Ravens pick a defensive player

NLude33
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
LOL I know, I rewinded just to try and catch the ball traveling a few times. Talk about a fast ball.

BTW did anyone else notice when Urban Meyer, prior to the highlights, mentioned that "we didn't really have a downfield presence so..."

Doesn't speak very highly of Chad Jackson. Kind of interesting the things you can glean in unexpected situations that you probably could NOT get if you just sat and asked Urban Meyer what he thinks of Chad Jackson. He'd probably speak glowingly about him, but the reality is Urban feels like he does not have a downfield presence...

I didn't catch that, but yeah, that is true. I was pretty impressed with Jackson though when they beat the h#ll out of Iowa.

SECfootball
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Cutler can be coached out of those poor decision making skills. But his talent? You can't coach that into a player.

redhead
01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
my opinion is that we trade up to bag a Cutler (the only realistic choice) or move our 16th for a later 1st and an extra pick to nab a QB to groom later (rd 4-5)...

Frerrotte is serviceable...

sports24/7
01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I haven't heard alot of people talking too much about moving up to get him, but I think it will be something that Saban will look to do if he feels he is our best option and won't be there at 16. Saban does like to build through the draft and doesn't like to give up picks, but he knows how important the QB position is and just how important it is that we solidify that position for the future. Giving up a mid round pick and RW would probably get it done and I know there is alot of controversy about letting Ricky go, but we have a stud RB in Brown and if trading Ricky gives us a stud QB then to me it seems like a no brainer.

redhead
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm not advovating giving up a player like RW... But if Cutler is gone at 16...? Ship the pick for more picks...

sports24/7
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not advovating giving up a player like RW... But if Cutler is gone at 16...? Ship the pick for more picks...
I never said you were, but in 5 years when Ricky isn't on the team anymore and Brown is tearing it up anyways and Cutler is a star it would really hurt if we could have gotten him.

The Confessor
01-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Interesting thought. I havent heard anybody talk about trading down for more or better picks past round 1.....
Perhaps. IN SABAN I TRUST

Pocoloco
01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
let's just say that a young, cheap, great QB will equal job security for Saban for a very very long time. Bellicheck was never half the genius he was without Tom Brady. Expect Saban to look for the same.

I feel that we won't pick this low again for a very long time, seriously. If there was ever a year to try and trade up a few spots for a promising QB, this is it (unless Saban and Co. feel that they can get equally talented guys out of rounds 2-7, and I don't think they do).

sports24/7
01-13-2006, 12:13 AM
let's just say that a young, cheap, great QB will equal job security for Saban for a very very long time. Bellicheck was never half the genius he was without Tom Brady. Expect Saban to look for the same.

I feel that we won't pick this low again for a very long time, seriously. If there was ever a year to try and trade up a few spots for a promising QB, this is it (unless Saban and Co. feel that they can get equally talented guys out of rounds 2-7, and I don't think they do).
exactly.

fishypete
01-13-2006, 12:56 AM
I think trading down and acquiring more picks makes more sense. I'm betting that Saban just may do that....there's enough talent in the later part of the first round and second round to trade back....and still get some great players...that can start.

Motion
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I never said you were, but in 5 years when Ricky isn't on the team anymore and Brown is tearing it up anyways and Cutler is a star it would really hurt if we could have gotten him.

Yep

BlueFin
01-13-2006, 08:55 AM

Again, its easy to criticize the decisions, but its really not accurate to condemn him without taking into account that he is facing one of the top teams in the country, and that his team is a bottom feeder, those facts can force risk taking that might not normally happen in a game of two evenly matched football teams.

The very fact that Vanderbilt took Florida to double overtime is testament to just how good Cutler is, as Urban Meyer put it, he is a big time NFL high draft pick talent, or something like that.

Motion
01-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I didn't catch that, but yeah, that is true. I was pretty impressed with Jackson though when they beat the h#ll out of Iowa.

:confused: Huh? I love Chad, but Dallas Baker had the best WR perfromance that day.

CrunchTime
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Exactly.We need to take our blinders off and see him for what he is.A very talented prospect with questions about his mechanics and decision making.

I will be anxious to see him in action in the all star bowls.

SkapePhin
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Woody has him going to the Titans, Skip has him going to the Jets.

redhead
01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I still think we trade up a few spots to make sure Cutler is available but i wouldn't throw RW into the mix (this is the first time in recent years that we'll not have to draft any rbs) Lose RW and you are back looking for a rb.

If Cutler is gone we have a lot of options

I agree that we won't be picking this low again for years

BennyVW
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
"Because i got high...la da da da dat da...."

fishypete
01-13-2006, 12:06 PM
At this rate....he'll be the first player taken.

Finfanforever
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Woody has him going to the Titans, Skip has him going to the Jets.

I love Cutler...but that is ridiculous. :shakeno:

ILPhinFan88
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I was watching it last friday when I was off, they said out of Lienart, Young and Cutler. Cutler would most likely be a Hall of Fame QB.

@@@
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
If Huff and Jimmy williams are gone it could make sense to trade into the 20's to take Laron Landry and get extra picks

Finfanforever
01-13-2006, 12:19 PM
I was watching it last friday when I was off, they said out of Lienart, Young and Cutler. Cutler would most likely be a Hall of Fame QB.

At this point it's still ridiculous!

ILPhinFan88
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
At this point it's still ridiculous!

Yeah, I was like how could you even say that. Nobody ever has any idea about things like that. There are way too many variables.

Finfanforever
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I still think we trade up a few spots to make sure Cutler is available but i wouldn't throw RW into the mix (this is the first time in recent years that we'll not have to draft any rbs) Lose RW and you are back looking for a rb.

If Cutler is gone we have a lot of options

I agree that we won't be picking this low again for years

Well when you "trade" to move up...your dishing out either players or picks or a combo. What do you have in mind?

NLude33
01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I posted this in a similar thread....

I wouldn't mind trading out of #16 if we got a first round pick next year. If say we trade with Detroit for their 2nd round pick this year, and their first next year. We would then have the #9 and #16 picks in the second round, plus we would have two 1st round picks next year.

Can you imagine if we improved a bit, or stayed about the same next year with a 9-7 record, and then have 2 first round picks. That would really launch us into Super Bowl contenders I would think.

NLude33
01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
I think before the Senior Bowl, that guess of him being top 5 is premature. Lets wait till after the senior bowl, then we should know better.

NLude33
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
:confused: Huh? I love Chad, but Dallas Baker had the best WR perfromance that day.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I was watching in a bar with a bunch of annoying Iowa ChokeEye fans and I thought Jackson was lighting them up. Havn't looked at a stat line since the game. You should hear all the Iowa fans cry about the onside kick. However bad a call it was, it is no excuse for how crappy Iowa played the first 3 quarters.