PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Jay Cutler I

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

NLude33
01-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Exactly.We need to take our blinders off and see him for what he is.A very talented prospect with questions about his mechanics and decision making.

I will be anxious to see him in action in the all star bowls.

Agreed!

I am really excited to watch the Senior Bowl. Hopefully he will play well and a lot so we can all see him against some of the best seniors in the country. I will hold most of my thoughts on him until after the game.

NLude33
01-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Again, its easy to criticize the decisions, but its really not accurate to condemn him without taking into account that he is facing one of the top teams in the country, and that his team is a bottom feeder, those facts can force risk taking that might not normally happen in a game of two evenly matched football teams.

The very fact that Vanderbilt took Florida to double overtime is testament to just how good Cutler is, as Urban Meyer put it, he is a big time NFL high draft pick talent, or something like that.

I agree with what you said. But even the best teams in the country have break downs. And that lob he threw to the goal line was a break down in protection, and he heaved it up for all to take. Miracle play that it was caught, and caught by his player. I would hope that he will learn to take a sack there, or throw it way out of bounds. Also, the game loosing INT was not a good decision if it was the first quarter, but in OT? Just not a smart play at all, and it lost the game for his team.

Beautiful arm though, and great presence.

BlueFin
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I agree with what you said. But even the best teams in the country have break downs. And that lob he threw to the goal line was a break down in protection, and he heaved it up for all to take. Miracle play that it was caught, and caught by his player. I would hope that he will learn to take a sack there, or throw it way out of bounds. Also, the game loosing INT was not a good decision if it was the first quarter, but in OT? Just not a smart play at all, and it lost the game for his team.

Beautiful arm though, and great presence.

The point was, he may have developed some bad habits from having such a poor O-line and having the pressure of carrying his team every week, but I see no reasons these can't be corrected with an intelligent kid like Cutler.

Its the natural talent I see in this kid and how he throws the football, that frankly, I don't see in some of the other QB's in this draft.

BlueFin
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Agreed!

I am really excited to watch the Senior Bowl. Hopefully he will play well and a lot so we can all see him against some of the best seniors in the country. I will hold most of my thoughts on him until after the game.

If he has a great week there, you can almost be certain he won't make it to #16, so personally, I hope he tweaks his hammy or decides to pull out of the game, because this kid will be a big time pro.

caneaddict
01-13-2006, 02:01 PM
If he has a great week there, you can almost be certain he won't make it to #16, so personally, I hope he tweaks his hammy or decides to pull out of the game, because this kid will be a big time pro.

That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking. Everyone wants to see him light it up. I hope he doesn't cause that way we will have a shot at him.

I'm thinking the biggest obstacle for us is Arizona. Detroit may be gun shy to take a rookie QB because Millen's job's on the line and another poor year would spell the end for him.

Arizona could go RB unless they are enamored with Cutler. If he slips past Arizona then I think we can get him.

CrunchTime
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM
These are the same guys who said Rodgers was going to be the first pick last year.

arsenal
01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
woody paige is the absolute worst sports personality ever... the guy says the most ridiculous things...

ckparrothead
01-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Skip Bayless has Cutler as the best quarterback in the draft, that is why. It shouldn't be surprising to see Cutler way higher for them than anyone else has him. At least they are consistent. That doesn't mean they should be taken seriously.

finswin56
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
woody paige is the absolute worst sports personality ever... the guy says the most ridiculous things...I honestly have no idea how he has a job. He's like that guy in the FedEx commercial that is wrong about everything he says.
"You mean we don't have French benefits?"

Come on now! You're ESPN and the best you can do is this idiot? He makes Skip Bayless look smart, and I think that guy is horrible two. Their little show where they debate each other is like watching my wife and her sister analyze the merits of the 3-4 defense.

Oboy
01-13-2006, 03:27 PM
It all depends on who is there and who is gone.

To trade up a few spots (the furthest we could go and still have any draft picks would be 10) would be possible if Cutler (IF Saban does like him) is still there. As you can see there were quite a few IF's just in that.

Then if Cutler is gone by 10 and some of the other great players Saban wants are gone, then yes you trade down a few spots and grab a few more draft picks.

caneaddict
01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I've said before, I think Arizona is the biggest potential team to steal Cutler. We could certainly trade with them #16 and Ricky for their pick and probably get some picks back from them. I'm in no way advocating we do that.

If we stay at #16 and Cutler's gone then I wouldn't mind trading down, I like Nlude33's trade idea. Detroit might be willing to do it becasue Millen's got to figure this is his last year if they don't improve so why not trade the future ala Wannstache. There's a ton of talent at the beginning of the 2nd and I don't think it's much different from what we would get at #16. The only player other than Cutler I covet at #16 is Winston Justice. He might be worth not trading down.

If we can get 2 1st's next year then we are in a very good position to get Quinn because most of the bad teams will already have new QB's.

caneaddict
01-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I posted this in a similar thread....

I wouldn't mind trading out of #16 if we got a first round pick next year. If say we trade with Detroit for their 2nd round pick this year, and their first next year. We would then have the #9 and #16 picks in the second round, plus we would have two 1st round picks next year.

Can you imagine if we improved a bit, or stayed about the same next year with a 9-7 record, and then have 2 first round picks. That would really launch us into Super Bowl contenders I would think.

The more I think about this the more excited I get. That would be such a good trade. Give us a great shot at Quinn and if not it would give us 2 impact guys next year like Charles Johnson (Ga Tech).

Next year out of the bad teams, most likely Houston, SF, NO, Tennessee, Arizona (if they take Cutler), Jets (if Pennington is back), Green Bay would all have QB's and Detroit won't have a pick (we'll have it). So we should be able to get Quinn with 2 1st's.

fishypete
01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Don't look for a video of him winning against a team with a winning record....there isn't one.

Nappy Roots
01-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Don't look for a video of him winning against a team with a winning record....there isn't one.

:sidelol:

SECfootball
01-13-2006, 05:01 PM

No, there's one in the archives right next to "Great performances by the Vanderbilt defense"

fishypete
01-13-2006, 05:07 PM
No, there's one in the archives right next to "Great performances by the Vanderbilt defense"

According to the records of Vandy....they never beat a team with a winning record...especially one in the SEC...while Cutler was the QB.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Vanderbilt.htm

TjHawk
01-13-2006, 05:26 PM
the reason Skip (who I really think is annoying) has Jay going that high is Jay is a Vandy grad.

I do think Jay could land in the top ten.

NLude33
01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
According to the records of Vandy....they never beat a team with a winning record...especially one in the SEC...while Cutler was the QB.

So, Josh Huepel won a BCS National Championship, he worked out well for us huh? Like Saban says, winning and losing and whatever is on the scoreboard doesn't matter. Does he have the tools? Yes. Does he execute and use his tools? Yes. Will he be able to do the same in the NFL? We will find out.

PhinsRDbest
01-13-2006, 05:50 PM
The more I think about this the more excited I get. That would be such a good trade. Give us a great shot at Quinn and if not it would give us 2 impact guys next year like Charles Johnson (Ga Tech).

Next year out of the bad teams, most likely Houston, SF, NO, Tennessee, Arizona (if they take Cutler), Jets (if Pennington is back), Green Bay would all have QB's and Detroit won't have a pick (we'll have it). So we should be able to get Quinn with 2 1st's.

Thats a great idea! Right now i would rather have Quinn ,Stanton, or if Brian Brohm declared as better options for the future qb the dolphins are looking for. Also with the first second there might be great options: Ahmad Brooks, Andrew Whiteworth, Antonio Cromartie, Martin Nance, Orien Harris, Max Jean-giles, Abdul Hodge, all could fall to us with that first second pick we receive from the lions.

caneaddict
01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Thats a great idea! Right now i would rather have Quinn ,Stanton, or if Brian Brohm declared as better options for the future qb the dolphins are looking for. Also with the first second there might be great options: Ahmad Brooks, Andrew Whiteworth, Antonio Cromartie, Martin Nance, Orien Harris, Max Jean-giles, Abdul Hodge, all could fall to us with that first second pick we receive from the lions.

Exactly. Cromartoe and Jean Gilles are the guys I would target. You also forgot Carpenter from Ohio Sate.

PhinsRDbest
01-13-2006, 06:12 PM
The Dolphins would just have to make sure they trade with someone who is really going to stink next year. But i think the lions might be a safe bet.

twg76
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Woody has him going to the Titans, Skip has him going to the Jets.

Those guys are nuts. Woody just started rearranging the picks on a whim. Don't believe anything you heard or saw on that show. Find a more credible source. Those guys just like to argue, and that is the entertainment of the show.

redhead
01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
As far as going after Cutler...

Maybe ZONA is that desperate to take RW in a trade up but realistically RW is going nowhere he is payed scantilly and he is young. Perfect insurance for Ronnie B.

If they do accept that scenario Miami need to receive more later picks or (arrington) as we'll need more rbs in the mix...

My first thought in trading up was mid round draft pick(s) this years and maybe next... I don't think we send players..., many younger players look too good...

Mike13
01-13-2006, 08:23 PM
All Skip and Woody do is argue to the point that they forget about the original issue.

PhinsRDbest
01-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Skip has a man crush on Jay and i think its rubbing off on Woody. (Man that doesnt sound right)

fins5423
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah i agree everyone is building him up but how has his stock increased from a late 1st round to a top 5 pick? what has he done? I mean he didnt win a Championship, he was on a sorry *** team anyways. I love Jay Cutler and all but no team will pick him that high, no team will reach for him that high. No team needs a QB that bad.

fins5423
01-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Alright, all of yall need to calm down about Jay Cutler being the 1st overall pick..... the best QB in the draft..... every team will try to get him.......
What has Jay Cutler done since the season had ended to make him a top 10 pick??? He didnt have a winning season. He didnt win nothing. he had 21 TD passes ...59% passes compelted. He didnt lead the nation in passing yards or TD passes. he only had 21 TD passes.

I like Jay Culter, I hope we get him, but i think everyone is blowing the guy way up. I think he will be a great pick for Miami. He is a solid 1st mid round pick.

Example: Cardinals are the only team who dont really have a shot at Leinart or Young and deffinatly need a Quarterback. They also need a Running back. who would you rather have DeAngolo Williams or Jay Cutler? who will make a bigger impact DeAngolo or Jay? who lead the nation in rushing yards and in rushing TD's? DeAngolo would be the better and safer pick for the cardinals, thats just too much of a reach for Jay Cutler. you cant pass up on a guy like DeAngolo Williams.

Everyone needs to calm down and stop worrying about Jay Cutler being drafted before Miami picks. He didnt have that great of a season to be in a top 10 pick.

think about people...everyone is blowing this guy way up!

finfansince72
01-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Who was saying he would be the number one pick? I saw some people say he might slip into the top 10 but lets not get silly, Ive never heard of anyone with any credibility putting him higher than Young or Leinart.

finfansince72
01-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Woody and Skip say things like this so people will talk about them on message boards. They know they are wrong 90% of the time, its all about being outrageous and making people talk.

sports24/7
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Alright, all of yall need to calm down about Jay Cutler being the 1st overall pick..... the best QB in the draft..... every team will try to get him.......
What has Jay Cutler done since the season had ended to make him a top 10 pick??? He didnt have a winning season. He didnt win nothing. he had 21 TD passes ...59% passes compelted. He didnt lead the nation in passing yards or TD passes. he only had 21 TD passes.

I like Jay Culter, I hope we get him, but i think everyone is blowing the guy way up. I think he will be a great pick for Miami. He is a solid 1st mid round pick.

Example: Cardinals are the only team who dont really have a shot at Leinart or Young and deffinatly need a Quarterback. They also need a Running back. who would you rather have DeAngolo Williams or Jay Cutler? who will make a bigger impact DeAngolo or Jay? who lead the nation in rushing yards and in rushing TD's? DeAngolo would be the better and safer pick for the cardinals, thats just too much of a reach for Jay Cutler. you cant pass up on a guy like DeAngolo Williams.

Everyone needs to calm down and stop worrying about Jay Cutler being drafted before Miami picks. He didnt have that great of a season to be in a top 10 pick.

People started to take notice of him during the end of the season. Right now he probably isn't going to be taken ahead of us, but he is a good Senior Bowl and Combine away from being a possible top 10 pick. You do bring up a good point and something I have said here before. This is a strong draft. The Cards not only need a RB, but they have alot of other needs too. The same goes for the Raiders and Lions. All three of those teams have other options at QB and don't NEED one. That is why they would most likely go with a DeAngelo Williams, or Haloti Ngata, or AJ Hawk, or another player of that caliber.

fins5423
01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
People started to take notice of him during the end of the season. Right now he probably isn't going to be taken ahead of us, but he is a good Senior Bowl and Combine away from being a possible top 10 pick. You do bring up a good point and something I have said here before. This is a strong draft. The Cards not only need a RB, but they have alot of other needs too. The same goes for the Raiders and Lions. All three of those teams have other options at QB and don't NEED one. That is why they would most likely go with a DeAngelo Williams, or Haloti Ngata, or AJ Hawk, or another player of that caliber.

thank you....thats what I have been trying to say

fins5423
01-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah....i disagree with a lot of what they say.

Pocoloco
01-13-2006, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, I spend a little time on the Cardinals' message board to gauge the interest in Cutler. Alot of the Arizona fans would be pretty happy to resign their QB and address the multitude of other needs they have. They're impressed with Cutler, but they don't think he represents the absolute best quality at their pick. Many would rather try to go running back, linebacker, or Ngata with their first.

fins5423
01-13-2006, 11:52 PM
For what it's worth, I spend a little time on the Cardinals' message board to gauge the interest in Cutler. Alot of the Arizona fans would be pretty happy to resign their QB and address the multitude of other needs they have. They're impressed with Cutler, but they don't think he represents the absolute best quality at their pick. Many would rather try to go running back, linebacker, or Ngata with their first.

yes.....that what I was trying to say

PhinSoldia
01-14-2006, 12:12 AM
i agree he will be there if we want him or not at 16

Motion
01-14-2006, 12:46 AM
i agree he will be there if we want him or not at 16

Lets hope so.

ILPhinFan88
01-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Lets hope so.

:yeahthat:

SECfootball
01-14-2006, 03:08 AM

Like I said, the same time you find that video of great showing by the Vandy D, you'll find a video of Cutler beating a winning team.

sports24/7
01-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Niether of these guys know anything about the draft and Skip Bayless knows less about sports than my mother. They get all hyped up on an idea and won't let it go. Cutler is a good QB, but he is going to have to have a phenominal combine to get into the top 5 and even then the odds are low just because after the Titans I don't see another team there taking a QB.

SMadison29
01-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Woody and Skip say things like this so people will talk about them on message boards. They know they are wrong 90% of the time, its all about being outrageous and making people talk.

That is what Skip is about. There is no way possible a human being can be that f****** stupid. Once he starts to dislike someone personally for refusing to let him interview them he dogs them & shows the no respect for how great of players they are/were.

NorthFloridaFin
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
If Jay Cutler had been playing for a Power-house school, he would be a lock for a Top 3 pick easily. It's just that nobody watches Vanderbilt.

Motion
01-14-2006, 08:17 AM
If Jay Cutler had been playing for a Power-house school, he would be a lock for a Top 3 pick easily. It's just that nobody watches Vanderbilt.

Amen

SCall13
01-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I would rather Cutler not have a great senior bowl, fall to us in the 2nd and be a pleasant surprise than to have him perform well, pick him at 16 and he turn out to be another career backup. What I'm saying is, I think there are MANY safer picks that are also needs for this team that we should take at #16. We shouldn't gamble on a QB who has a lot of questions. We need a LT, LB, S, CB, NT, G, possibly a Center. There are a lot safer, more sure picks at these positions. Taking Cutler is a risk when you put our other needs into the equation. It would be much smarter to take the best player available because, odds are, the best player available when we pick will be a player of need regardless of position.

dolfan3431
01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Thank you!!!!!!!!

fins5423
01-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I would rather Cutler not have a great senior bowl, fall to us in the 2nd and be a pleasant surprise than to have him perform well, pick him at 16 and he turn out to be another career backup. What I'm saying is, I think there are MANY safer picks that are also needs for this team that we should take at #16. We shouldn't gamble on a QB who has a lot of questions. We need a LT, LB, S, CB, NT, G, possibly a Center. There are a lot safer, more sure picks at these positions. Taking Cutler is a risk when you put our other needs into the equation. It would be much smarter to take the best player available because, odds are, the best player available when we pick will be a player of need regardless of position.

dude, your an idot! Everyone agrees that Miami needs a Quarterback the most and that Jay Cutler would be the best pick. Nick Saban has already said that his MAIN GOAL durring this offseason it to find a QUARTERBACK!!!!!

What the hell would ONE LT do? abusulty nothing, even if he could block, that still wouldnt help Ferotte any. ferotte has never been good and never will be.

Its a lot harder to find a young franchise quarterback than to find a LT.
If you have a chance to get a great Quarterback and a great LT, then any team would chose the quarterback simply because a young talented Quaretrback is harder to come bye. Only an idot would chose the LT.

What is the most important postion on the whole team? what postion can lead a team to win? sure as hell aint no LT going to do anything. Just look at Robert Gallery for the Raiders. he was suppose to be the best....and he hasnt done anything to help Kerry Collins because no matter what Collins just cant throw.

You can find a LT later in the draft, but Miami shouldnt waste a pick on that because it want help us any. Remeber when Miami drafted Veron Carry in the 1st round? yeah looks like he really made a HUGE difference! No matter what one LT want help nothing if you dont have a Quarterback DUH!!!!

we do not have a team leader on offence and thats what we need! we havent had a real franchise quarterback since Dan Marino!

almost every team has their Quaretback of the future. Teams who dont have a Quaretback suck really bad

example:
Lions
Saints
Titans
Cardinals
Jets
Dolphins

Mod Edit: Personal attacks are not allowed. Do it again and you'll get some time off.

fishypete
01-14-2006, 12:22 PM
So, Josh Huepel won a BCS National Championship, he worked out well for us huh? Like Saban says, winning and losing and whatever is on the scoreboard doesn't matter. Does he have the tools? Yes. Does he execute and use his tools? Yes. Will he be able to do the same in the NFL? We will find out.

Winning means something....and playing against teams better than your's means something....and beating teams that are better than yours means something.

If he executed and used his tools....he should win.

And how long would Saban be the headcoach if he lost every game...of course winning means everything....it's how you win, is what he's talking about.

SCall13
01-14-2006, 01:54 PM
dude, your an idot! Everyone agrees that Miami needs a Quarterback the most and that Jay Cutler would be the best pick. Nick Saban has already said that his MAIN GOAL durring this offseason it to find a QUARTERBACK!!!!!

What the hell would ONE LT do? abusulty nothing, even if he could block, that still wouldnt help Ferotte any. ferotte has never been good and never will be.

Its a lot harder to find a young franchise quarterback than to find a LT.
If you have a chance to get a great Quarterback and a great LT, then any team would chose the quarterback simply because a young talented Quaretrback is harder to come bye. Only an idot would chose the LT.

What is the most important postion on the whole team? what postion can lead a team to win? sure as hell aint no LT going to do anything. Just look at Robert Gallery for the Raiders. he was suppose to be the best....and he hasnt done anything to help Kerry Collins because no matter what Collins just cant throw.

You can find a LT later in the draft, but Miami shouldnt waste a pick on that because it want help us any. Remeber when Miami drafted Veron Carry in the 1st round? yeah looks like he really made a HUGE difference! No matter what one LT want help nothing if you dont have a Quarterback DUH!!!!

we do not have a team leader on offence and thats what we need! we havent had a real franchise quarterback since Dan Marino!

almost every team has their Quaretback of the future. Teams who dont have a Quaretback suck really bad

example:
Lions
Saints
Titans
Cardinals
Jets
Dolphins

First of all, your intelligence really shows by calling someone an idiot. I will make this short and sweet for you: There are TOO MANY NEEDS ON THIS TEAM TO REACH FOR ANYONE. A LT WILL HELP THIS TEAM. A GUARD WILL HELP THIS TEAM. A SAFETY WOULD HELP THIS TEAM. A CORNER WOULD HELP THIS TEAM. A quarterback would be nice to have and there are other ways to get one than to draft one. Are you really close minded enough to think that Saban will pick Cutler just because he's a QB and we need one? His thought process will go alot deeper than that. Take off your Cutler glasses for a moment. You are obviously in love with the guy. Saban is going to pick the player who HE FEELS has the best value to the team. If he feels Cutler is that guy, he will pick him. But he also knows that we need defensive secondary help badly (for example. DO you think Saban will overlook that in his decision making? If you do, then you are the idiot.

Also your post revolved around the LT. 1) LT - GOOD ones- are not THAT easy to come by. 2) LT is not all I mentioned as team needs. We have MANY more needs than that. 3) If there is a LT on the board (or any other position that we need) Saban will weigh who will be the better PLAYER for this team. He will not choose a QB just for the sake of choosing a QB like you are suggesting.
Saban never said that the QB was THE top priority this off-season. He did say he would look to upgrade that position. But he said the same about alot of areas of need. Listen carefully, read carefully what Saban says and you will hear ALL he has to say...not just what you want to hear.

Vernon Carey was a reach. Alot of people had him as second round material. He was also a RT which are easier to find than GOOD, athletic LTs who are able to both pass block and run block effectively. Carey was Wannstedt and Spielmans mistake. But that's a whole different discussion.

The bottom line is that Saban will take who he feels is the best player on the board at a position of need for this team. It could be a QB (Cutler) or it could be a DB. It could be a nose tackle and it could be an O-lineman. I don't know. And guess what...you don't either.

fins5423
01-14-2006, 02:54 PM
no one cares. Nick Saban has already said that his biggest off season job will be to find a Quarterback, so your wrong!

sports24/7
01-14-2006, 03:27 PM
First of all, your intelligence really shows by calling someone an idiot. I will make this short and sweet for you: There are TOO MANY NEEDS ON THIS TEAM TO REACH FOR ANYONE. A LT WILL HELP THIS TEAM. A GUARD WILL HELP THIS TEAM. A SAFETY WOULD HELP THIS TEAM. A CORNER WOULD HELP THIS TEAM. A quarterback would be nice to have and there are other ways to get one than to draft one. Are you really close minded enough to think that Saban will pick Cutler just because he's a QB and we need one? His thought process will go alot deeper than that. Take off your Cutler glasses for a moment. You are obviously in love with the guy. Saban is going to pick the player who HE FEELS has the best value to the team. If he feels Cutler is that guy, he will pick him. But he also knows that we need defensive secondary help badly (for example. DO you think Saban will overlook that in his decision making? If you do, then you are the idiot.
The thing is there probably isn't a team in the NFL that NEEDS a QB more than we do. There are teams that could use one like NO, Ten, Det, Ari, and Oak, but all of those teams have other legit options already on their team. The Dolphins have 3 backups. So bypassing a OLB, or DB, or LT for a QB would not be giving up on a need for a position we could use. It is filling our greatest need.

But by taking Cuter at 16 is in no way a reach. Right now he is about the 15th best player in the draft on many scouting services. He may get drafted higher because he is a QB and there is a premium put on that position, but taking him at 16 right now is not a reach. If he really stinks it up at the Senior Bowl and workouts it could be a different story, but is he really wows at those his stock would be elevated.

But the top priority needs to be finding a QB of the future. We have gone too long without one and bringing in another stop-gap isn't going to do anything for us like it hasn't in the past. There are other options like you say, but none are as attractive as bringing in a 22 year old kid with a first round grade and all the tools you look for in a QB.

SCall13
01-14-2006, 03:36 PM
The thing is there probably isn't a team in the NFL that NEEDS a QB more than we do. There are teams that could use one like NO, Ten, Det, Ari, and Oak, but all of those teams have other legit options already on their team. The Dolphins have 3 backups. So bypassing a OLB, or DB, or LT for a QB would not be giving up on a need for a position we could use. It is filling our greatest need.

But by taking Cuter at 16 is in no way a reach. Right now he is about the 15th best player in the draft on many scouting services. He may get drafted higher because he is a QB and there is a premium put on that position, but taking him at 16 right now is not a reach. If he really stinks it up at the Senior Bowl and workouts it could be a different story, but is he really wows at those his stock would be elevated.

But the top priority needs to be finding a QB of the future. We have gone too long without one and bringing in another stop-gap isn't going to do anything for us like it hasn't in the past. There are other options like you say, but none are as attractive as bringing in a 22 year old kid with a first round grade and all the tools you look for in a QB.

Two things: 1) If Cutler has a good Senior Bowl, he probably won't be there for us anyway. 2) There is no guarantee than Saban will take him at 16 anyway. There are alot of options for us and Saban will pick who HE feels will be the best pick at 16. Or He may even trade down. Could trade up (doubtful). Noone knows.

EDIT: I wouldn't say that we are in worse QB shape than all of those teams. I would personally take Gus over anyone New Orleans has. Aaron Brooks is an awful starting QB who has a knack for bumbling and fumbling games away. (Gus' biggest problem is his completion %) Arizona is in bad QB shape. Warner is getting older and more beat up and we have seen McCown's best and it isn't good. Detroit is tired of Harrington and hsi backups aren't exactly an impressive bunch. The Jets are even a possibility with Pennington being injury prone. Do you think they trust the future at the QB position to Bollinger?
I agree we need to find a QB. But if there isn't a QB in the draft that Saban finds appealing at 16, then the odds are against us getting that QB in the draft. (Beyond Cutler, the QBs are very questionable this year). And Cutler himself has some question marks. We'll just have to wait and see what happens on draft day. Cutler may or may not be there at 16. Saban may or may not choose to take him if he is.

kpcane
01-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Like Saban says, winning and losing and whatever is on the scoreboard doesn't matter.

That's so true, and now that you mention that, it makes me think even more that Saban wants this guy.

Imagine Cutler and Brown for the fins for years to come. Saban was without a doubt the right choice.

Pocoloco
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I have a strong feeling that Saban would take Cutler if he is there at 16. We definately have other need positions, but you have to take into account the depth of the draft before you burn the first on a QB.
QB- Not a deep class at all. Leinart, Young, and Cutler (everyone else has huge question marks). Next year promises another couple of names (Quinn, maybe Leak), but it will still be thin.
OL- One of the deepest drafts in years. You could get starting quality guys all the way into round 3. Especially tackles. Maybe even deeper with Houck coaching them.
LB- Also an extremely deep class. Real quality can be picked up until round 3 or 4.
DB- Also an excellent class in my opinion, but not as deep as the OL or LB. You are probably looking at 3-4 corners who will be good in the NFL, and another 3-4 safeties. After that, you have injured, but supposed to be great, players like Jason Allen out of Tennessee. If you want a good DB, you'll probably want to get one in rounds 1 or 2.

Depth of draft affects your draft strategy. We're probably more likely to grab Cutler, if we can, at 16 than anyone else that might be there. If he's not there, I suspect we look at a defensive back unless there is a can't miss offensive tackle.
My three round mock looks like this, although most people say every single pick is a stretch. But I think it more or less reflects the depth that's out there.
1) Jay Cutler
2) Eric Winston, OT Miami
3) Jason Allen, CB Tennessee

SCall13
01-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I have a strong feeling that Saban would take Cutler if he is there at 16. We definately have other need positions, but you have to take into account the depth of the draft before you burn the first on a QB.
QB- Not a deep class at all. Leinart, Young, and Cutler (everyone else has huge question marks). Next year promises another couple of names (Quinn, maybe Leak), but it will still be thin.
OL- One of the deepest drafts in years. You could get starting quality guys all the way into round 3. Especially tackles. Maybe even deeper with Houck coaching them.
LB- Also an extremely deep class. Real quality can be picked up until round 3 or 4.
DB- Also an excellent class in my opinion, but not as deep as the OL or LB. You are probably looking at 3-4 corners who will be good in the NFL, and another 3-4 safeties. After that, you have injured, but supposed to be great, players like Jason Allen out of Tennessee. If you want a good DB, you'll probably want to get one in rounds 1 or 2.

Depth of draft affects your draft strategy. We're probably more likely to grab Cutler, if we can, at 16 than anyone else that might be there. If he's not there, I suspect we look at a defensive back unless there is a can't miss offensive tackle.
My three round mock looks like this, although most people say every single pick is a stretch. But I think it more or less reflects the depth that's out there.
1) Jay Cutler
2) Eric Winston, OT Miami
3) Jason Allen, CB Tennessee

I wouldn't mind your three picks. But I think if we don't go O-line in the first, we'll probably wait until the 3rd round. If we take Cutler at 16, then I think our next pick will be a DB, the best available corner or safety. Then we'll start looking to beef up the O-line and D-line. However it plays out will be good for me. I finally have confidence back in the guy who will be doing the selecting. Which ever route Saban chooses to go, I'll be happy.

Pocoloco
01-14-2006, 04:26 PM
However it plays out will be good for me. I finally have confidence back in the guy who will be doing the selecting. Which ever route Saban chooses to go, I'll be happy.

I'm with ya 100%

BlueFin
01-14-2006, 07:02 PM

We don't need calm down about anything.

wazzy
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM

That is well put man but I think if he has a great combine and impresses people then Arizona will grab him instead of DeAngolo. QB's is what everyone is trying to build there teams around so if they think that Cutler can be there man I think they will grab him!

fishypete
01-14-2006, 09:01 PM
We don't need calm down about anything.

Where is Cutler headed? Most likely to the 2nd round...where he belongs.

Jaj
01-14-2006, 09:03 PM
If Cutler is there I think he's the pick, however if Jimmy Williams somehow dropped that would make things interesting.

fins5423
01-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Two things: 1) If Cutler has a good Senior Bowl, he probably won't be there for us anyway. 2) There is no guarantee than Saban will take him at 16 anyway. There are alot of options for us and Saban will pick who HE feels will be the best pick at 16. Or He may even trade down. Could trade up (doubtful). Noone knows.

EDIT: I wouldn't say that we are in worse QB shape than all of those teams. I would personally take Gus over anyone New Orleans has. Aaron Brooks is an awful starting QB who has a knack for bumbling and fumbling games away. (Gus' biggest problem is his completion %) Arizona is in bad QB shape. Warner is getting older and more beat up and we have seen McCown's best and it isn't good. Detroit is tired of Harrington and hsi backups aren't exactly an impressive bunch. The Jets are even a possibility with Pennington being injury prone. Do you think they trust the future at the QB position to Bollinger?
I agree we need to find a QB. But if there isn't a QB in the draft that Saban finds appealing at 16, then the odds are against us getting that QB in the draft. (Beyond Cutler, the QBs are very questionable this year). And Cutler himself has some question marks. We'll just have to wait and see what happens on draft day. Cutler may or may not be there at 16. Saban may or may not choose to take him if he is.

Listen....Jay Cutler is going have to have a AWOSME Senior Bowl game for a team like the Lions or Cardinals to take a chance on him. I mean hes going have to impress the hell out of everyone for him to go into the top 10. There is so much talented options to pick from when your in the top 10 and jay Cutler just didnt have the season or the numbers to be in that top 10. You cant pass on DeAngolo Williams if you are the Cardinals. If you the lions then theres no way you could pass up on AJ hawk.

The lions and Cradinals have a bunch of issues and need more Deffence help instead of offence.

Everyone is building this guy up when he didnt have a winning season and didnt have a real impressive numbers to be in the top 10. Jay Cutler is going have to have a senior bowl game like Philip Rivers did. Rivers had over 300 yards in passes and 3 TD with not INT"s and was named the MVP. Thats really hard to do. Rivers had a great Senior year though, a lot better than Jay Cutler did. Rivers completed 72% of his passes! and if it wasnt for that insane Senior bowl game he had, then he probably wouldnt have been drafted in the top 10.

Awsi Dooger
01-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Like I said, the same time you find that video of great showing by the Vandy D, you'll find a video of Cutler beating a winning team.

Well, I remember watching one game early this season when Vandy held the opponent to 17 points. That opponent was Middle Tennessee St and the game was at Vandy. It still wasn't enough since Cutler only put up 15.

fins5423
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Look where Mel Kiper has Jay Cutler at on his Big Board.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/melkiper/

Hes at the 14th spot, behind a lot of talented players

so, now it sounds like it would be a bit of a reach for some to take a chance on him in the top 10

and no team needs a QB that bad and Cutler just didnt have the numbers and the season to be in the top 10.

CD13
01-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I checked the commodores website, no videos. I originally DVRd the Gators game which was supposed to be Cutler's best game. I tell you I didn't come away all THAT impressed ya know, thought maybe he could be like another Jake Delhomme.

I too will be eagerly anticipating seeing him work at the Senior Bowl with quality against quality.

Nothing wrong with Jake. Looks pretty good right now against a tough Bears D. Although he does have Smith.

Danny
01-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Just wondering what would you guys think if Cutler's there at 16 and Saban doesn't draft him? Me I'm all for letting Nick take whoever he wants...I'm with him on any desicion but there're so many people here who think we'd take him if he's there that some would be upset if we don't.Are we gonna see all those threads again about "Nick sucks" and so on? Some people were upset that he took Brown last year.... :shakeno: What's gona happen if he passes on Cutler?

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

dominizzo
01-16-2006, 01:02 AM
I guess Omar JAcobs comes to town

sports24/7
01-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Nick knows what he is doing and I trust him to make the best decision for the franchise, so if Cutler is there and we don't take him there has to be a reason for that. I doubt that happens though.

Motion
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
I'll be disappointed but I have full faith in Saban to do what best for the Fins.

Motion
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
I guess Omar JAcobs comes to town

Doesn't mean that at all. Lets hope not anyway.

Danny
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Doesn't mean that at all. Lets hope not anyway.
At least lets hope that he doesn't come as a 1st round pick..... :confused: Maybe if we take him on day 2 then I'd be fine with it.What QB's do anyone here likes in the 2nd round and later?

Ozzy rules!!

MiamiDolphins34
01-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Id be pissed.

fishypete
01-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Only Saban and Mueller knows for sure.

fishypete
01-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Nothing wrong with Jake. Looks pretty good right now against a tough Bears D. Although he does have Smith.

Keep Jake...I rather have Smith.

umpalu
01-16-2006, 10:14 AM
If cutler is there at 16 and we don't take him then that means saban signed p manning in the offseason and palmer as his backup :goof:

PhinBeck
01-16-2006, 10:46 AM
If Saban passes on Cutler then it means that he either solved the qb position thru trade or FA or he doesnt feel Cutler is the right value at 16. Saban has said qb is a big priority this offseason, so if he passes on Cutler, he will have his reasons.

thejetssuck
01-16-2006, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Danny]At least lets hope that he doesn't come as a 1st round pick..... :confused: Maybe if we take him on day 2 then I'd be fine with it.What QB's do anyone here likes in the 2nd round and later?

I wouldn't mind omar jacobs in the 2nd or 3rd round. He'd have some learning to do, but has all the physical tools you could want in a qb. And my sleeper pick would be DJ Shockley as a late round pick.

Krie30511
01-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Cutler is by far now the best true QB in this draft... after watching him Vince Young is a great athlete but I think Jay is the #1 in this draft

PhinBeck
01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Danny]At least lets hope that he doesn't come as a 1st round pick..... :confused: Maybe if we take him on day 2 then I'd be fine with it.What QB's do anyone here likes in the 2nd round and later?

I wouldn't mind omar jacobs in the 2nd or 3rd round. He'd have some learning to do, but has all the physical tools you could want in a qb. And my sleeper pick would be DJ Shockley as a late round pick.

I was high on Jacobs after last year. feeling that he would continue to show progression this year as a qb. While he did have some injuries, he didnt the show the progression I would have liked. 2 or 3 is too early in my opinion, 4th is realistic, 5th would be ideal.

I like Brody Croyle in teh third.

Caps
01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I would be disappointed if we could draft Cutler and didn't, but I would trust
Saban's decision.

ckparrothead
01-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Actually the Commodores beat Richmond, who had a 9-4 record this season.

Every time you make an argument about Cutler, it gets refuted. So when are you going to drop this personal crusade against Cutler? I guess John Elway wasn't worth a 1st round pick either.

@@@
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Just wondering what would you guys think if Cutler's there at 16 and Saban doesn't draft him? Me I'm all for letting Nick take whoever he wants...I'm with him on any desicion but there're so many people here who think we'd take him if he's there that some would be upset if we don't.Are we gonna see all those threads again about "Nick sucks" and so on? Some people were upset that he took Brown last year.... :shakeno: What's gona happen if he passes on Cutler?

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:I hope Michael Huff is there and we pick him! If Saban doesn't take Cutler theni'm sure there will be a reason and after the results he produced this year in the draft and on the field i'm happy with whatever he does. Just remember the outcry on draft day when we picked travis daniels the reaction was so negative you'd have thought he had just signed Ray Lucas as the new starter!!! Looks like a pretty good move now

fishypete
01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually the Commodores beat Richmond, who had a 9-4 record this season.

Every time you make an argument about Cutler, it gets refuted. So when are you going to drop this personal crusade against Cutler? I guess John Elway wasn't worth a 1st round pick either.

Richmond CK? Cutler beat Richmond and that makes him a first round QB? Elway beat Washington State....taking them out of the conference championship....which player really beat a winning team CK?....Richmond....don't make me laugh.

ckparrothead
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Richmond CK? Cutler beat Richmond and that makes him a first round QB? Elway beat Washington State....taking them out of the conference championship....which player really beat a winning team CK?....Richmond....don't make me laugh.

Cutler's a first round quarterback because of who he is. YOU are the one that tried to say he's not a first round quarterback because he did not beat a winning team. He did. So move on.

fishypete
01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Cutler's a first round quarterback because of who he is. YOU are the one that tried to say he's not a first round quarterback because he did not beat a winning team. He did. So move on.

Your right...it's time to move on....you have your opinion of Cutler and I have mine....I see him less ready to play than Rodgers....and certainly not worthy of a first round pick. As I stated...2nd round at best. Thats the last I have to say about Mr. Cutler....until we get closer to the draft.

TimeGap
01-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I would like to see the Dolphins take a chance on Josh Betts QB from Miami Ohio, With one of our 7 round picks.:dolphins:

Dors156
01-16-2006, 01:59 PM

Ozzy rules!!

i think we should draft huff.huff looks like the next ed reed.you cant pass on that

Pocoloco
01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
That would be because he thinks Cutler can be had in the second round!

BigDogsHunt
01-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Ozzy rules!!

You most definately will see these type of threads. Intelligence and Common Sense are not requirements for this site or its participation. Just passion for being a fan of the Miami Dolphins, and as this site has proven so many times in threads past, Passion does not equal intelligence and common sense when it comes to our Dolphins.

I stand by Saban and his crew to find the best players that will improve this team for years to come. It will be fun to watch in the draft, FA, and trade wires.

PublixSubsRule
01-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I say we need to trade up and get Deangelo Williams. A two headed monster... I think not. A three head monster, yes. We wouldn't need a QB. What a great idea. :-)

caneaddict
01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I trust Saban completely.

I would only want to spend a 1st round pick if Saban was very sure the guy has the skills, physically and mentally, to be our franchise QB.

There's too many great players that will be available at #16 that can come in and really help this team long term (Winston Justice, Huff, etc.). There's so many solid non-gamble picks there that we shouldn't gamble (save that for the later rounds). The only way we should take a QB in the 1st is if Saban feels REAL solid that this guy will be our franchise QB. Otherwise your just giving up too much for a gamble.

PhinFan0202
01-16-2006, 06:53 PM
If Saban passes on him more than likely it's for a good reason. Keep in mind that Meuller is an expert at evaluating QB talent. He once had Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger, and Aaron Brooks on the same team. Have faith in Mueller and Saban.

Roman529
01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
You never know until Nick and his guys take a look at Cutler at the combines....if he is slow or has a goofed up delivery his stock could drop....that is one of the reasons why Omar Jacobs has dropped. I trust Nick to get the BPA (Best player available).

finfan54
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Ozzy rules!!

Probably means he will draft Jacobs or Croyle.

finfan54
01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Cutler looks like a natural physically. I just wonder about his mind and reading defenses and stuff because I am sure he could do alot of the other things with a good arm. This is the one thing that no one ever talks about with QB's. Knowledge of the game and how to win type stuff. That is why Vince Young is the bomb. He knows how to win. Championships.

fins5423
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Jay Cutler, i think will still be on board still when Miami picks. Everyone is still building this guy up and the Senior Bowl nor the Combine has even happened yet. I think Saban will deffintly take him in the 1st round. He knows Jay Cutler and has made a lot of postive comments about him.

Nick Saban loves thoughs SEC players.

Nappy Roots
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Cutler looks like a natural physically. I just wonder about his mind and reading defenses and stuff because I am sure he could do alot of the other things with a good arm. This is the one thing that no one ever talks about with QB's. Knowledge of the game and how to win type stuff. That is why Vince Young is the bomb. He knows how to win. Championships.

guess ken dorsey was the bomb to :confused:

Joneal7
01-16-2006, 08:57 PM
wow does he have an arm

Motion
01-17-2006, 01:06 AM
I say we need to trade up and get Deangelo Williams. A two headed monster... I think not. A three head monster, yes. We wouldn't need a QB. What a great idea. :-)

:confused: huh?

SackArtist
01-17-2006, 01:17 AM
:confused: Ricky and Ronnie are not enough?

Batman13
01-17-2006, 01:27 AM
You most definately will see these type of threads. Intelligence and Common Sense are not requirements for this site or its participation. Just passion for being a fan of the Miami Dolphins, and as this site has proven so many times in threads past, Passion does not equal intelligence and common sense when it comes to our Dolphins.
Actually, intense passion generally equals LESS common sense.;)

sports24/7
01-17-2006, 02:30 AM
I would like to see the Dolphins take a chance on Josh Betts QB from Miami Ohio, With one of our 7 round picks.:dolphins:
If we wait until the 7th round to take a QB we are in trouble unless we can find a way to get David Carr or Chris Simms. If we take another QB in the 7th after already taking one that is fine because we have a few 7th rounders and we can afford to take a flyer on someone, but we need a QB of the future and waiting until the 7th round is not a good way to do that.

Motion
01-17-2006, 02:44 AM
If we wait until the 7th round to take a QB we are in trouble unless we can find a way to get David Carr or Chris Simms. If we take another QB in the 7th after already taking one that is fine because we have a few 7th rounders and we can afford to take a flyer on someone, but we need a QB of the future and waiting until the 7th round is not a good way to do that.

Agreed

Nappy Roots
01-17-2006, 02:52 AM

Ozzy rules!!

honestly if hes there and we dont take him, ill be pissed. i wont go off on a rant and say saban sucks and he doesnt know what hes doing, cause thats not me. but i wont be happy at all.

now with that said, i have full faith in saban as a GM and as a coach. so whoever he picks ill be happy about. but this QB situation is starting to getting really old. we better make some sort of a move for a QB, wether it being draft one later on, or trade for one.

Jaj
01-17-2006, 05:06 AM
How bout a CB in the 1st round like Williams(if he's there) or Cromartie...

Motion
01-17-2006, 05:20 AM
How bout a CB in the 1st round like Williams(if he's there) or Cromartie...

IMO I see QB as a greater need than DB right now. We at least have potential in our secondary with a few young guys like Daniels, Poole, Bell, Mitchell, etc.. We can't afford to waste anymore grooming time if we're gonna bring in a young QB.

Jaj
01-17-2006, 05:42 AM
IMO I see QB as a greater need than DB right now. We at least have potential in our secondary with a few young guys like Daniels, Poole, Bell, Mitchell, etc.. We can't afford to waste anymore grooming time if we're gonna bring in a young QB.

Well if we haven't done anything at QB I agree, but there's no reason to trade up for Cutler. The Redskins I've heard are desperate to add another WR without giving up much dough so I could look into a Patrick Ramsey deal for Marty Booker(then we'll go make a good offer to Reggie Wayne).

Motion
01-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Well if we haven't done anything at QB I agree, but there's no reason to trade up for Cutler. The Redskins I've heard are desperate to add another WR without giving up much dough so I could look into a Patrick Ramsey deal for Marty Booker(then we'll go make a good offer to Reggie Wayne).

Hmmm..... Not sure if that would be a good deal or not. Ramsey is a big mystery to me personally, he has the tools no doubt, but he seems to be very gun shy ever since Spurrier threw him to the wolves. However, he will very likely be available, the radio show I listen to in the morning has the Skins VP of Player Personnel on every Monday morning and yesterday he definitely danced around the Ramsey topic and made it quite clear they needed to add some more "quality" to their WR group.

Danny
01-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I like Booker but I wouldn't mind that....we do need a young QB and he's got some talent.I can't wait for us to do something about the QB situation so we can start talking about the rest of the team.

Ozzy rules!!

caneaddict
01-17-2006, 01:06 PM

QB is certainly a bigger need than DB. However, our BIGGEST need is to get a solid starter who can play for us at a high level for a long time at ANY position. The reason this franchise fell apart is that we haven't had a good 1st round pick in a decade and the only one on the team is Carey who is still a mystery.

Our #1 priority must be getting someone who will be productive. So while we need a QB more than a DB, if the DB is projected as a solid starter and the available QB is, in Saban's mind, a gamble as to whether he will ever be productive then we have to go for the DB.

It all comes down to whether Saban thinks Cutler WILL be our future. If he only thinks that Cutler has a shot but is a big gamble then I think he'll go the safe route in the 1st and gamble later on.

The difference between the losing teams in the NFL and the winning teams is how many solid starters they get from the draft. Look at teams that have had no production in the 1st round for a few years in a row and those teams are inevitably at the bottom of the standings. It doesn't matter as much if you draft a center, a guard, a TE (less valuable positions) or a QB, RB, LT, CB (more valuable positions). All that matters is whether the guy's you choose become long term dependable starters (and hopefully stars).

CrunchTime
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
It would mean he is a reach as some of us think .I am cool with that because I trust Saban s judgement.I will be happy if we draft him too.

Its comforting to feel that we can trust our FO at last.

fins5423
01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree...i dont know why Jay Cutler is rising so fast! he hasnt done nothing since the season has ended. Seems like every time his named is mention he moves up higher in the draft. I mean the Senior Bowl has happended yet neither has the combined. If he does really good in both then maybe we could talk about him going in the top 10.

But until then i dont think he should be projected as a top 10 pick. I mean he lost most his games and he only had 21 TD passes.

rafael
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree...i dont know why Jay Cutler is rising so fast! he hasnt done nothing since the season has ended. Seems like every time his named is mention he moves up higher in the draft. I mean the Senior Bowl has happended yet neither has the combined. If he does really good in both then maybe we could talk about him going in the top 10.

But until then i dont think he should be projected as a top 10 pick. I mean he lost most his games and he only had 21 TD passes.

Cutler was a 2nd rd pick before the Gator game. His performance there elevated him to the 1st rd. The only way anybody says top 10 now is if they're speculating that he will perform very well in the workouts and Senior Bowl.

fins5423
01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Cutler was a 2nd rd pick before the Gator game. His performance there elevated him to the 1st rd. The only way anybody says top 10 now is if they're speculating that he will perform very well in the workouts and Senior Bowl.

Gotcha;)

but what if he does "OK" at both the workouts and the Senior bowl then will he still be a top 10 pick?

i dont think he will be either way, hes gonna have to put on a hell of a show to be a top 10 pick.

rafael
01-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Gotcha;)

but what if he does "OK" at both the workouts and the Senior bowl then will he still be a top 10 pick?

i dont think he will be either way, hes gonna have to put on a hell of a show to be a top 10 pick.

I expect he'll do very well at the workouts b/c he's a great athlete and it's easy to tailor your workout to emphasize yor strengths. The Senior Bowl though is what could put him in the top 10. If he does ok there (or is outshone by another QB) then I think he stays in the 15 to 25 range.

The reason he may shoot into the top 10 is that you have two teams (Detroit and Ariz. #9 and 10 or #10 and #11, I don't remember) who may take a QB. I don't know if they will or not but it certainly must be considered a possibility.

phinfan27
01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
He is like a Brett Favre kind of QB but bigger and faster. He has the strongest arm in the draft and led a crappy Vandy to wins at UT and almost at Florida. He is the real deal!

Lazy1
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I think cutler is the best qb in the draft as well and will be the most successful.

Scuba Steve 13
01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
He's going to be good, but better than Vince Young I dont know about that.

fishypete
01-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Strongest arm in the draft? I don't think so...in fact the kid that may have the strongest arm....may not be a QB...after the draft.

Caps
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Keep hyping him up you guys, maybe with your help he'll jump into the top 5, far out of our reach.

TotoreMexico
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Only the time will tell us...

fishypete
01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Keep hyping him up you guys, maybe with your help he'll jump into the top 5, far out of our reach.

We can always hope.

Jnaledu3
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Strongest arm in the draft? I don't think so...in fact the kid that may have the strongest arm....may not be a QB...after the draft.

I reckon you are talking about Vince Young, and suggesting that he will be switched to another position?

Tell me Pete, when was the last time a player was drafted in the top 5 to play a different position than he played in college? And dont say Matt Jones, because he played WR and QB in college, went to the Senior Bowl and combines as a WR, and was drafted as a WR-- and besides he was late 1st rounder.

And about Cutler. Maybe I agree with you.. a little. The guy hasnt done squat since his final game in November. I dont know why he is moving up so much. It doesnt make too much sense to me.

You could compare him to Philip Rivers' situation, but then again Rivers was a 4 year starter, won a lot of games at North Carolina, was a 4 time bowl game MVP, and the MVP of the Senior Bowl.

Like I have always said, players are evaluated for the draft based on their individual skills, and not the team's record. But the Cutler hype is starting to get out of hand. Everybody is EXPECTING he will have a great Senior Bowl and combine- he hasnt dont it yet. It would not surprise me if someone else stole the show at the Senior Bowl, etc Charlie Whitehurst or Kellen Clemens.

fishfan34
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
With this information, it's almost that much more of a certainty that the Lions will NOT pick Cutler in the draft. We still have Arizona to worry about, but, with the Hiring of Marinelli, I see the Lions picking Defense first with a defensive minded coach and that being the side of the ball they need the most work on..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2297266

Caps
01-18-2006, 08:51 PM
And about Cutler. Maybe I agree with you.. a little. The guy hasnt done squat since his final game in November. I dont know why he is moving up so much. It doesnt make too much sense to me.

It's because of threads like these. Cutler is getting the most internet hype I've seen since Xavier Lee. As of right now, he's worth a late first rounder, NOTHING more.

paskerbrandon
01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Its not a given... But it could def. happen....

sports24/7
01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
I was thinking that too, but you never know. Saban is a defensive coach too. I am more worried about Detriot than Arizona because I think the Cards will take a RB, but hiring Marinelli could help us.

rafael
01-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm not as worried about Detroit. My understanding was that part of the reason that Mariucci was fired was b/c Millen wanted him to play Harrington. It wouldn't make sense for Millen to then turn around and bring in another 1st rd QB. It would be too much like admitting that he was wrong about Harrington. I don't think he's ready to do that.

Dolfan2788
01-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I was thinking that too, but you never know. Saban is a defensive coach too. I am more worried about Detriot than Arizona because I think the Cards will take a RB, but hiring Marinelli could help us.

JJ Arrington didn't do as bad as everyone thinks he did. He averaged more YPC than McGahee did and Arizona's line is nothing to write home about.

Arizona is going to want to go for a QB in the draft IMO.

sports24/7
01-18-2006, 11:58 PM
JJ Arrington didn't do as bad as everyone thinks he did. He averaged more YPC than McGahee did and Arizona's line is nothing to write home about.

Arizona is going to want to go for a QB in the draft IMO.
Maybe, but I don't think so. Even if they don't go RB I think they will take someone other than a QB.

fishypete
01-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Isn't Warner the QB at Arizona? Need I say more? I can almost bet that Arizona will try to trade up....Green must be thinking....Culpepper with 4.4 speed.

MiamiDolphins34
01-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I hope the cards decide to draft a LT cuz i think they could be 1 of the most interested teams in cutler.

Danny
01-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Ont think to keep on mind is that al the teams ahead of us that want a QB will also be in front of us in the other rounds too...my point is that if Cutler's gone many people on here are talking about Croyle in the 3rd or Whitehurst but those other teams are thinking the same way too so we can't take for granted that we could get this guy or that guy in X round cos they may not be there either.In the end Nick will get us a good QB one way or the other.But our best bet is that Cutler's still there and the other teams feel that top 12 is too high for him.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I doubt the teams in front of us are reading this board to decide when to draft Cutler...tho I get your point.

Ozzy rules!! :dolphins:

fishypete
01-19-2006, 01:16 AM
I reckon you are talking about Vince Young, and suggesting that he will be switched to another position?

Tell me Pete, when was the last time a player was drafted in the top 5 to play a different position than he played in college? And dont say Matt Jones, because he played WR and QB in college, went to the Senior Bowl and combines as a WR, and was drafted as a WR-- and besides he was late 1st rounder.

You could compare him to Philip Rivers' situation, but then again Rivers was a 4 year starter, won a lot of games at North Carolina, was a 4 time bowl game MVP, and the MVP of the Senior Bowl.

Like I have always said, players are evaluated for the draft based on their individual skills, and not the team's record. But the Cutler hype is starting to get out of hand. Everybody is EXPECTING he will have a great Senior Bowl and combine- he hasnt dont it yet. It would not surprise me if someone else stole the show at the Senior Bowl, etc Charlie Whitehurst or Kellen Clemens.

Now why would I or anyone else in their right mind even say that? Young is a QB....plain and simple...I was thinking about two QB's....one from Grambling named Bruce Eugene....6'1" 265 lbs...has a cannon for a arm....and the foundation to place that cannon anywhere he wants too...LOL.
And Michael Robinson....who can throw as hard and far as anyone in this draft. Both mostly likely won't be QB's....unless a smart GM comes around.

PhinSoldia
01-19-2006, 01:17 AM

yes and possibly better than Lienart as well

Motion
01-19-2006, 01:36 AM

:lol: Bet he'll last longer.

dominizzo
01-19-2006, 03:03 AM
by the time u know it Cutler will be a raider raven or card mabey even lion

CD13
01-19-2006, 08:01 AM
He is like a Brett Favre kind of QB but bigger and faster. He has the strongest arm in the draft and led a crappy Vandy to wins at UT and almost at Florida. He is the real deal!

You called it...I don't agree yet...but after combines, etc, I might agree.

finfansince72
01-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I think you guys should go get jobs in the NFL, obviously you know more than the Scouts and GMs who are going to take Leinart and Young, in a heartbeat, over Cutler. The guy is going to be pretty good but lets not get silly.

BlueFin
01-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the bandwagon!

CD13
01-19-2006, 12:26 PM
With this information, it's almost that much more of a certainty that the Lions will NOT pick Cutler in the draft. We still have Arizona to worry about, but, with the Hiring of Marinelli, I see the Lions picking Defense first with a defensive minded coach and that being the side of the ball they need the most work on..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2297266

Perhaps. I hope he falls to us. I kind of doubt it though

Jnaledu3
01-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Isn't Warner the QB at Arizona? Need I say more? I can almost bet that Arizona will try to trade up....Green must be thinking....Culpepper with 4.4 speed.

This is true. They could trade up with say.. Tennessee.

And Tennessee is another team interested in Cutler. Hes playing right under their nose in Nashville. If Tennessee trades down a few spots in the draft- you can guarentee that Cutler is gone.

But im sure McNair is really pushing them to take Vince Young.

BlueFin
01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
This is true. They could trade up with say.. Tennessee.

And Tennessee is another team interested in Cutler. Hes playing right under their nose in Nashville. If Tennessee trades down a few spots in the draft- you can guarentee that Cutler is gone.

But im sure McNair is really pushing them to take Vince Young.

Tennessee is in the process of reworking McNairs deal to make it possible to keep him around for another 3-5 years, they also have Volek, this team has much more pressing needs than a young QB right now. I think they will draft elsewhere.

fishypete
01-19-2006, 02:26 PM
With all the new headcoaches and staff this year....I can see players coming and going prior and after the draft....which makes this a very interesting draft indeed. This could turn out to be a Jimmy Johnson type draft...plenty of wheeling and dealing.

fishypete
01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the bandwagon!

Wheels fall off wagons don't they? :)

SF Dolphin Fan
01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
The other concern is a team drafting below the Dolphins trading just ahead of Miami to draft Jay Cutler. That is certainly a possibility as well. If the Dolphins are able to get more picks, maybe by dealing Sam Madison and Ricky Williams, then I can definitely see a trade up with someone like San Francisco. Otherwise, I think the team goes in another direction with their #1 and looks at players like Omar Jacobs, Brodie Croyle or Charlie Whitehurst later.

GatorFinFan
01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
does any one maybe consider that cutler could go to the titans if he really is as good as ppl say he is? i mean hes from nashville and all but this is just a thought so dont bash me for it.

kingfin
01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
I think he will be if the Radiers pass on him.If they do we have a clear shot in getting him.

GatorFinFan
01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
by the time u know it Cutler will be a raider raven or card mabey even lion About the Raiders, didn't they draft Andrew Walter last year?

NYinBostonFin
01-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Not the way everyone is talking about him.

greatwade
01-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Detroit?

PassRush
01-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a feeling that he may slide ala Aaron Rodgers. Then again, he seems like a gun slinging, Raiders style quarterback

kingfin
01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Detroit?I can see that.

KB21
01-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Detroit, Arizona, and Baltimore will all have to pass on him for him to be there.

Hostile 17
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, he is becoming the Phillip Rivers of 2006. Remember when it seemed that only Dolfans were high on Rivers before the Senior Bowl? Then, as the combine and draft approached, Rivers shot from 2nd or 3rd rounder to top draft pick. Quarterbacks tend to move up fast in the draft if they have any legitimate potential.

Cutler was projected to mid-first round even before the Senior Bowl or combine. Think about where he'll be once the media jumps on him like they did Rivers. As you mentioned, they are already building up the hype.

Dolphinfan_7
01-19-2006, 03:01 PM
well if radiers pass on him we might beable to get him and i hope so b/c i like him alot he is very smart with the ball but saben might go deffence in the first round

SeahawkFinFan
01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
You want to know why I think Cutler just might end up a better pro QB than ML or Vince Young? Draft position. Leinhert and Young will both go to desperate, losing teams looking for a savior. With no supporting cast, no time to learn behind a veteran, etc, they'll get thrown to the wolves - and eaten alive. Meanwhile, Cutler will be sitting somewhere behind a savy NFL QB having been drafted in the late first/early second round, devoloping the talents people on this forum are constantly going on about. This isn't to say that Young and ML won't eventually be good QBs (smart front office moves can make all the difference, and given time any team can improve), but I like the situation Cutler will be in much, much more.

Kucha
01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, he is becoming the Phillip Rivers of 2006. Remember when it seemed that only Dolfans were high on Rivers before the Senior Bowl? Then, as the combine and draft approached, Rivers shot from 2nd or 3rd rounder to top draft pick. Quarterbacks tend to move up fast in the draft if they have any legitimate potential.

Cutler was projected to mid-first round even before the Senior Bowl or combine. Think about where he'll be once the media jumps on him like they did Rivers. As you mentioned, they are already building up the hype.

I totally agree although I hope that it ain't so. :yeahthat:

sports24/7
01-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Detroit, Arizona, and Baltimore will all have to pass on him for him to be there.
I don't see Baltimore taking him. Billick has said he wants to bring in a vet to compete with Boller and I think he still is hoping Boller gets it together. I'm more worried about Arizona and Detroit. We may have to trade up for him depending on how next week goes at the Senior Bowl.

rafael
01-19-2006, 03:31 PM
The only one I'm worried about is Arizona. Right now they seem to going somwhere other than QB. I'm hoping he has a fair performance at the Senior Bowl and that some others show well convincing the marginal QB seekers to get their guy later. If they follow the Wanny QB drafting philosophy we can get Cutler at 16.

Roman529
01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I think he will be if the Radiers pass on him.If they do we have a clear shot in getting him.

Why the heck would the Raiders draft Cutler??? They drafted QB Andrew Walters from ASU as their first pick last year? :confused:

Breadfan
01-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Here's to hoping Cutler bombs at the combines and gets arrested for drunken driving before draft day.

:drinkers:

ckparrothead
01-19-2006, 04:47 PM

I don't see Denny Green taking him. Just my opinion, gut feeling on that. And, I think Kyle Boller did show enough in a few games at the end of the year to warrant another look. This will be Billick's last chance year in Baltimore and I doubt he's going to sign off on taking a rookie QB in his last chance to do something good with the team. This reminds me of when Holmgren paid a first round equivalent for Matt Hasselbeck and then Hasselbeck sucked for like a good year or two. Holmgren was like on his last legs in Seattle and he just kind of said straight to the media, this is the guy we've bought, we kind of live or die by him and how he does so I'm sticking with him. We made our bed now we have to sleep in it. Then Hasselbeck became the QB we know today. Baltimore made a bet on Boller, and later in the year, and at times this year, he did show improvement (and I still think that WR group is not very good). You have to give it another year and see if it pans out. Right now what I'd be doing is not drafting another QB but getting a quality veteran to compete with him in camp.

CD13
01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't see Denny Green taking him. Just my opinion, gut feeling on that. And, I think Kyle Boller did show enough in a few games at the end of the year to warrant another look. This will be Billick's last chance year in Baltimore and I doubt he's going to sign off on taking a rookie QB in his last chance to do something good with the team. This reminds me of when Holmgren paid a first round equivalent for Matt Hasselbeck and then Hasselbeck sucked for like a good year or two. Holmgren was like on his last legs in Seattle and he just kind of said straight to the media, this is the guy we've bought, we kind of live or die by him and how he does so I'm sticking with him. We made our bed now we have to sleep in it. Then Hasselbeck became the QB we know today. Baltimore made a bet on Boller, and later in the year, and at times this year, he did show improvement (and I still think that WR group is not very good). You have to give it another year and see if it pans out. Right now what I'd be doing is not drafting another QB but getting a quality veteran to compete with him in camp.

I think Detroit or even the Jets take him if he shows skills that warrant being picked in the top 10.

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I know Mel Kiper has Jay Cutler going to the lions but that was before the Lions signed the Bucs deffence line Cordinator.

I beileve that now instead of the Lions drafting Jay Cutler (which i think they wouldnt of anyways) That the new coach (i forgot his name) will draft some deffence players which they need very very bad.

They can take a awsome DE like Mario Williams or a CB like jimmy Williams. Those guys are very hard to pass up on. I watched the Lions new coach's interveiw and he said that he srongly beileves in deffence.

So now the possabilty of the Lions drafting Jay Cutler is very slim.

So all this talk about Jay Cutler getting picked before Miami picks, you can forget about it. Jay Cutler will still be there for us if we want him or not.
top 10 is way too much of a reach for him.

after the Lions pick in the draft, then they're arent any teams in front of Miami who really need a QB.

So dont worry, Chill out on all the worrys about Jay Cutler in the top 10. Thats crazy talk.

The man hasnt done a thing yet since the season has ended. Seems like every time someone says his name his stock rises.

Mel Kiper doesnt even have jay Cutler in his top 10 big board so why would a team like the Lions or the cardinals take him when they both have a top 10 pick? they both have a lot of issues that need to be adressed. they are both in a spot to get some real talent and better calibore players other than Jay Cutler.

infiltrateib
01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I think the Lions take Santonio Holmes.

UltraDol-Fan
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM

:lol:

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:28 PM

HAHAHA yeah, either him or Marcus Vick

Caps
01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
top 10 is way too much of a reach for him.

:yes: As of right now I think top 20 is a reach for him, he hasn't proven anything yet. Have some good workouts and then I'll think about him as a legitimate mid-rounder.

finsrule84
01-19-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah but then there's AZ

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:34 PM
yeah but then there's AZ

The Cradinals would be crazy to pass on a guy like DeAngolo Willams and they need a RB bad.

Puffboy(ricky)
01-19-2006, 06:35 PM
how can the lions not pick a QB? Harrington is a complete disaster and will never start on that team again. Garcia wasn't the answer either. They need/want a Qb real real bad. Moreso than even the Dolphins

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
:yes: As of right now I think top 20 is a reach for him, he hasn't proven anything yet. Have some good workouts and then I'll think about him as a legitimate mid-rounder.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
why is that David Carr gets another chance but Joey Harringtion doesnt?

Aqua and Orange
01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Lord i hope youre right. Id really like Cutler.

J-Bark
01-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes they would, but I think Dennis Greens a goof. Josh McCown can get it done for that team if Green put him in and left him in. I wouldnt mind gettin McCown if we don't get Cutler or Jacobs. But anyways, 'zona wouldn't surprise me if they drafted Cutler, Dennis Green loves to throw the ball, plus Edge and Alexander may be available, if not then theres always Jamal Lewis, and Deshaun Foster. I look for them to grab Cutler or an O-Lineman, lets hope it's an O-Lineman

Ryan1973
01-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Because a lot of people feel that David Carr has the physical tools to succeed with the right team and that Joey Harrington doesn't no matter where he goes. Also, Harrington had some good tools to work with in Detroit with the receivers and Kevin Jones and couldn't get it done.

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I really dont think we should say anything about Jay Cutler until the Senior bowl is over. Should we hope he does good or bad????

if he does good, then he MIGHT be picked before Miami

if he does bad he could slip a looooooooong ways down.

J-Bark
01-19-2006, 06:50 PM
[/QUOTE]why is that David Carr gets another chance but Joey Harringtion doesnt?[QUOTE]

Harrington had all the tools to be succesful, and he is considerably worse than Carr, even though Carr has no O-Line whatsoever. Carr does quite well considering the circumstances, Andre Johsnon can't do all the recieving.

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Because a lot of people feel that David Carr has the physical tools to succeed with the right team and that Joey Harrington doesn't no matter where he goes. Also, Harrington had some good tools to work with in Detroit with the receivers there and Kevin Jones at RB.

Joey harrington had a lot of young talented WR but no Rookie WR is going to be "your go to guy" I think maybe they should have got a free agent RB and not drafted a rookie RB because you can rely on a rookie to carry the ball 25 times. They should have brong some experince to the team. Like a verteran WR or a Verteran RB. Not a old RB but a pretty good RB like Travis Henery or someone.

fins5423
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Harrington had all the tools to be succesful, and he is considerably worse than Carr, even though Carr has no O-Line whatsoever. Carr does quite well considering the circumstances, Andre Johsnon can't do all the recieving.

detroit didnt have a O-line either. I wouldnt say he had all the tools to be succesful, he had ROOKIES at RB, and all his WR and Rookies cant be your go to guy.

Joey Harrington wasnt a complete waste of time, He had a lot of big games and put up some good numbers

SF Dolphin Fan
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Don't forget about the team's behind Miami trading up. That's always a possibility as well.

rafael
01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
how can the lions not pick a QB? Harrington is a complete disaster and will never start on that team again. Garcia wasn't the answer either. They need/want a Qb real real bad. Moreso than even the Dolphins

Millen fired Mariucci b/c he wasn't playing Harrington. Why would he then bring in another 1st round QB to further cloud the QB situation?

UCFinfan86
01-19-2006, 06:59 PM
The lions drafted Dan Orvlowsky last year, i loved him from Uconn, any word if he did anything in practice this year?

fins5423
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Millen fired Mariucci b/c he wasn't playing Harrington. Why would he then bring in another 1st round QB to further cloud the QB situation?

Brillent!

The Lions need some experence on their team they have ALL young players or ALL free agents that they picked up. Why dont the Lions get Kerry Collins or Trent green or Steve Mcnair.

earl the pearl
01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
The lions drafted Dan Orvlowsky last year, i loved him from Uconn, any word if he did anything in practice this year?

he played a couple snaps during their Thanksgiving Day Beatdown...he drove the team down the field only to fumble on the 5 yard line.

Jnaledu3
01-19-2006, 07:31 PM
The only teams we have o worry about are Arizona and Tennessee.

Why Tennessee? Because Cutler was playing right under their nose all year, and they could possibly trade down for him. Fisher is also coaching the Senior Bowl, so that doesnt help.

Mike13
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I hope you are right.

Awsi Dooger
01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm not a Vince Young fan at QB but I'd be very surprised if Cutler turns out better than Leinart. Cutler simply doesn't have the variety in his game. Last week while watching the NFL playoffs it was strikingly clear the best QBs can adapt their game to the situational requirements, both in moving around and then choosing the correct pace and loft to fit the needs of the play. Cutler has almost none of that. He drops back and wings it on a line. Sure, the arm is very impressive but take away the robotic choice of a 10-20 yard dart and what does he default to? Big hint: another 10-20 yard dart. He also doesn't have the great instincts, the head on a shivel like Leinart has to sense what's happening at all times to his left and right. On some plays it's like Cutler is like a horse with blinkers on, limiting his peripheral vision. He's not terrible in that regard like a Kyle Wright, but hardly ideal and that's something that usually doesn't improve significantly.

houtz
01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
I almost broke an ankle jumping onto the Jay Cutler bandwagon. I have very high hopes that he will be around in the mid 1st round. I just hope to god that Saban takes him.

nopony
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Someone is going to have to explain to me why Cutler gets all this hype.

Strong arms are so often overdrafted... as if arm strength was the most important thing to the position.

Being able to throw it farther than anyone is not that big a deal... you rarely have protection long enough to do that anyway... ask Jeff George. As long as QB CAN throw deep, it's of relatively little value to be be able to throw it a few yards farther.

I should see if there is any way to look it up... but I'll bet you that "strong arm" has led to more drafting too high than any other qb characteristic.

Give me accuracy and intangibles anytime.

Again, assuming that his arm strength doesn't actually suck. That's obviously no good.

/not sure how much this applies to Cutler, just responding to specific statements.

sports24/7
01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Someone is going to have to explain to me why Cutler gets all this hype.

Strong arms are so often overdrafted... as if arm strength was the most important thing to the position.

Being able to throw it farther than anyone is not that big a deal... you rarely have protection long enough to do that anyway... ask Jeff George. As long as QB CAN throw deep, it's of relatively little value to be be able to throw it a few yards farther.

I should see if there is any way to look it up... but I'll bet you that "strong arm" has led to more drafting too high than any other qb characteristic.

Give me accuracy and intangibles anytime.

Again, assuming that his arm strength doesn't actually suck. That's obviously no good.

/not sure how much this applies to Cutler, just responding to specific statements.
Its not just his arm strength. The guy has everything you look for in a QB: arm strength, athleticism, size, accuracy, and leadership.

As far as him being better than Lienart and Young that may be a stretch, but is not out of the question. As a matter of fact Chris Mortenson said just that in a chat a couple of days ago. His exact quote was "I think Jay Cutler has a chance to be better than either Matt Lienart or Vince Young...a chance." Take out of that what you want.

King Felix
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
leinart=best qb in the draft

djfresh47
01-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Than why wouldn't GM's take him over Leinart and Young? Cutler may be their when the Phins pick, but i'm not as impressed with him as I am with Leinart and Young. I've seen less of Cutler than them, but really it would be hard for me to be more impressed with Cutler than Young or Leinart.

Phinfan31
01-20-2006, 02:46 AM
The Cradinals would be crazy to pass on a guy like DeAngolo Willams and they need a RB bad.
They drafted J.J. Arrington last yr??

Motion
01-20-2006, 02:48 AM

And?

sports24/7
01-20-2006, 04:12 AM
Than why wouldn't GM's take him over Leinart and Young? Cutler may be their when the Phins pick, but i'm not as impressed with him as I am with Leinart and Young. I've seen less of Cutler than them, but really it would be hard for me to be more impressed with Cutler than Young or Leinart.
Thats just why. He played at Vandy. Lienart and Young played at big time programs with alot of talent around them. Don't get me wrong they deserve the credit they are getting, but Cutler has loads of potential and all of the measurables you look for. He might not even be close to as good as they are, but he also may have a chance to be better.

BlueFin
01-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Wheels fall off wagons don't they? :)

Not the newer ones, just the older ones. They had a problem with those built in the early 1950's, they were unstable and would tend to fly off on wild tangents.:evil:

paskerbrandon
01-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Either way IMO there is NO chance he's there at 16... Were better off taking Huff and picking up either Carr, Volek, Brooks, Ramsey, or Harrington in FA and drafting a QB in the later rounds to develop (Gotta love Randy Mueller...).

NorFlaFin
01-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Raiders take Cutler? They took Andrew Walters (ASU) last year.

paskerbrandon
01-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Raiders take Cutler? They took Andrew Walters (ASU) last year.

Completley forgot about that pick.. nice memory.. Anyhow i still dont see him being there.. There have been talks about the Jets liking him (WAY to high though so I would forget that one)... The Raiders (Depending on how they feel on Walter)... Lions (Depending on what they do with Harrington...)... Cardnials (If they dont go RB...)... and The Ravens (How do they feel about Boller?...)... so there is a decent chance he may be there.. Dont get me wrong.. I would LOVE to have him.. just doubt he will be there... either way we need to get a good QB this offseason... even if its only for a year or two.. We have to go about this like Cutler wont be there... if we dont we will get smacked dead in the face....

The Samurai
01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
You know if Miami was in position to draft Leinart or Young then every fan on this board would say they are the best QB'S in the draft and that Cutler will be a bust. NOw that we are in position to possibly draft Cutler people on here will say he will better that ML or Young.

Incredible :shakeno:

BrazForPhins
01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
You know if Miami was in position to draft Leinart or Young then every fan on this board would say they are the best QB'S in the draft and that Cutler will be a bust. NOw that we are in position to possibly draft Cutler people on here will say he will better that ML or Young.

Incredible :shakeno:

it's true, sad, but true. If we had the 2nd pick again, how many people would say: hey, lets pass up leinart and see if cutler fall to us in the 2nd round

IdahoPhin
01-20-2006, 12:29 PM
On Mortensen's chat on wednesday, he said he felt that Cutler would end up being the best QB in this draft.. With all the build up Cutler is getting he won't be around when we draft.. If he has a good to great senior bowl he will be a top ten pick..

houtz
01-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Your right the Titans have been able to watch Cutler up close. But Norm Chow is their offensive coordinater and I think everyone is assuming Leinart and Chow will reunite.

Silverphin
01-20-2006, 05:15 PM

There we go!

TampaDolphinFan
01-20-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/jaycutler.html

This guy might be hard to bring down when running but can he throw the ball?

SCall13
01-20-2006, 06:08 PM
LOL. I saw that the other day. Big guy, that Jay Cutler.

BlueFin
01-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but he's sure to test positive for banned substances.

dominizzo
01-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The raiders Select jay Cutler

Roman529
YES we want Cutler. :)

DolphinDevil28
:chuckle:

HysterikiLL
I don't know about those mechanics everyone's raving about. :lol:

Roman529
The raiders Select jay Cutler

The Raiders selected Andrew Walters QB from Arizona State last year...why take another QB??? :confused:

TampaDolphinFan
Yeah, but he's sure to test positive for banned substances.

Miami_Dolphins
01-20-2006, 06:11 PM
no, i dont want cutler...eithier one of them

GCD960
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
i dont think his skin can take the Miami Sun

Scuba Steve 13
01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
If he is still there at 16 we take him if not then wego another route.

fins5423
01-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Jay Cutler is a better passer than a runner.

He hes a arm like Brett Farve, so yes we want him, we need him, we take him.

fins5423
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM

yeah.......? he was like a 3rd round pick

so you think JJ Arington is better than DeAngolo Williams?

Motion
01-21-2006, 02:49 AM
If he is still there at 16 we take him if not then wego another route.

Ya think?

DolphinDevil28
01-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Ya think?

:lol:

You know, SpeedRush, if I found a $100 bill on the sidewalk, I MAY pick it up. Otherwise, I'd keep on walking.

amir7
01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
i know this topic has been beaten to death, but i wanted to throw in my idea of how things will pan out

well, its hard to tell now, we have to wait for free agents, trades, combines, senior bowl etc.
right now, i dont think tennessee will pass up on leinart or young, if leinart is their, chow would want to be reunited with leinart. im also hearing that mcnair is really pushing for them to draft young, so which ever one falls into their lap (assuming texans take bush) they will take.

oakland seems like the perfect fit for a gunslinging qb like cutler, but i dont think it will happen, their defense is way to week to pass up guys like jimmy williams,aj hawk or mario williams who are all studs. they also drafted andrew walter who has a cannon to groom, so the raiders proly wont take him

as for detroit, they really need help with the offensive line, i watched some detroit games this year and there line looked like ours last year:eek: look for a guy like winston justice to be their pick. if not, they will look to draft defense, and maybe give harrington one more chance. i think they pass up on cutler.

the team that i think is the biggest threat to take cutler is the cardinals. if they re-sign mccown, that will help our chances, but the thing that works against the most, is that they have so many holes, i dunno know if they would pass up on rbs like lendale white or deangelo williams, or a guy like jimmy williams who would make there secondary scary in the future, it would look something like this; cb1-rolle cb2-eric green fs-jimmy williams ss- adrian wilson. that would be a secondary full of potential. then theres always a possibility for a trade for culpeper, but that would most likely include a 1st round pick, and we could find ourselves in the same perdicament as we did with arizona. vikings have brad johnson, who is 35 years old.

then theres cleveland. they will almost definantly draft front seven, crennel wants to start his 3-4 defense. look for lbs like greenway, or ryans. or they could go with kiwanuka who is a d-lineman but could be moved to olb in the 3-4. plus they have charlie frye who they took with their 2nd round pick last year. they wont take cutler.

baltimore is another team that is drawing attention, but dont worry, word out of baltimore is that they're happy with the way boller came on strong towards the end of the year, and plan on sticking with him.

yay!!! it seems as if we are home free cutler at #16!!!:thewave: :cpatch: :beerbang: :friday:

but wait, what about teams that could trade up to take him:smackhead :mg: :crying: :club:

dallas for one, has been looking for a qb of the future sine the days of aikman. henson hasnt impressed the coaching staff, but from what im hearing they feel OT must be adressed, and im betting one of the great OT will be avalible when they pick( jonathan scott,eric winston,marcus MCneil) plus, there doesnt seem to be an ideal suitor to trade up with.

minnesota is a team i discussed earlier in this post, and this really depends on what happens with culpepper, if he stays or gets traded. plus lawrence maroney seems to fit well with there offense, and the pressure from the community to draft a hometown guy will be strong. i dont think it will happen.

kansas city is a team to watch , but i highly doubt they somehow get involved with cutler. trent green is getting up there in age and is going to need to be replaced sooner or later. but dont expect them to make a move, they feel their window of oprtunity to win is closing, and they will look for immediate help in other places. i think they take the speed demon santonio holmes with their pick

cutler should be ours, no seriously this time. remember alot can change from now uintil april 29, so there is still alot that could happen from now to then:feedback:

fishypete
01-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Jay Cutler is a better passer than a runner.

He hes a arm like Brett Farve, so yes we want him, we need him, we take him.

Having a strong arm is not the most important item for a QB.

Pocoloco
01-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Good thread. You're right about the trade ups, it something that definately good happen. If Culpepper goes, Minnesota is the most likely. Kansas City still has serious defense issues, and I think Parcells is driving Dallas into a win-now situation with Bledsoe. If we really want Cutler, we should explore a couple trade-up opportunities (with San Francisco, or Arizona) just in case.

Dors156
01-21-2006, 01:09 PM
people have been saying we need totrade up in the draft so we can get cutler.do you want to trade up for cutler or hope he falls to 16?

your thoughts

Caps
01-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I want to get Cutler, but he is NOT worth trading up for. He isn't even worth the 16th pick IMO. If he does very well in the senior bowl and workouts, then my opinion will change, but until that happens, he is a late first round talent in my eyes.

PHANTASTIC 13
01-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I think if there is a QB who can help us and we can move up to grab him...then by all means do it, pull the plug because you need a good QB to win consistently in this league.

Aqua and Orange
01-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Depending on his workout, I would have no problem trading up for him. QB is a position that our franchise has put a very minimal amount of effort in addressing in the draft. It would be great to not live off of another teams table scraps.

Pocoloco
01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Cutler is still a second rounder to me, right now he is just the product of some incredible hype. I think the senior bowl will cement his status. I hope he has an awful one. That way we could pick up either Michael Huff or Marcus McNeill, and still grab Cutler in the second.

FakeSpike13
01-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Say no to trading up for any QB in this draft except lionheart, and even that would be stupid because we would have to sell off the farm and pray...

GCD960
01-21-2006, 01:41 PM
nah, we can fill a need with the 16th if Jay is gone and fill another one with what we give up for the trade up...we have too many needs to use a few picks on 1 player

ryoung8918
01-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Nah, take the BPA at 16. There are plenty of other holes to fill. Now, if Cutler is still there at 16 AND Saban/Muller think he's the real deal, take him.

ryoung8918
01-21-2006, 02:16 PM
If there is ANY chance scouts feel Cutler is a potential franchise QB, he will go long before 16. Either someone will take him, or trade up for him. And I disagree about Detroit. Millen is on the hot seat, and he's seen Harrington up close for years now. Three #1 pick wideouts and no one to throw to them. They ping-ponged between Harrington and Garcia because neither could get the job done. I just don't think drafting a OLineman is going to buy Millen three or four more years to find a real QB. The fans in Detroit want a real QB, and Mr. Ford has to pay attention to the fans at this point. (particularly after the Bengals game where 2/3 of Detroit fans wore orange)

The other thing that gets said a lot about Detroit, Jets and Baltimore is that they'll "bring in a vet to compete" instead of drafting a QB. We all know who that cast of characters is, and that's why we want the 'fins to draft a QB.;)

vinivedivichi
01-21-2006, 02:25 PM
If there is ANY chance scouts feel Cutler is a potential franchise QB, he will go long before 16.

That's exactly right. If Cutler shows what everyone expects he will show at the senior bowl and at the combine, we have no shot at him without trading into the top 10. A lot of the teams that were mentioned could go a lot of ways in the draft, but if Cutler becomes a"can't miss" prospect, they won't pass on him.

CrunchTime
01-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I would prefer to trade down a few spots.The first round is very deep.

Motion
01-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Depending on his workout, I would have no problem trading up for him. QB is a position that our franchise has put a very minimal amount of effort in addressing in the draft. It would be great to not live off of another teams table scraps.

Right on

sports24/7
01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
If his stock continues to rise and he continues to impress then I don't think we SHOULD trade up I think we NEED to trade up. This team has gone too long without a franchise QB and needs one right now. It will probably only cost a 2nd or future 1st along with our first this year to move into the top 10. That is well worth ensuring an explosive offense for years to come. To me it is a no brainer. Now, if he sucks it up at the Senior Bowl and workouts that is a different story.

fins5423
01-21-2006, 05:59 PM
yeah we can sit here all day and say "what if..."

no one can say anything about the draft yet, its just too early.

fins5423
01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Having a strong arm is not the most important item for a QB.

did I say that was the most important???

it's better to be accurate with a strong arm than to be accurate with a average arm

Jay Cutler is more accurate than Vince Young

and Cutler is a whole lot better of a pocket passer, which is very important to be succesfull in the NFL.

ask Michael Vick.

sports24/7
01-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Next week and his the combine will determine all. As well as whether the Vikes trade Culpepper. If I had to bet on it though I would say if we want him we will have to trade up for him.

twg76
01-21-2006, 08:44 PM
And I disagree about Detroit. Millen is on the hot seat, and he's seen Harrington up close for years now. Three #1 pick wideouts and no one to throw to them. They ping-ponged between Harrington and Garcia because neither could get the job done. I just don't think drafting a OLineman is going to buy Millen three or four more years to find a real QB. The fans in Detroit want a real QB, and Mr. Ford has to pay attention to the fans at this point. (particularly after the Bengals game where 2/3 of Detroit fans wore orange)

I agree with this. But that doesn't mean Detroit will look to the draft for their QB. It actually makes more sense to bring in a veteran who can start winning some games for Detroit.

spanish jonny
01-21-2006, 08:44 PM
If there is ANY chance scouts feel Cutler is a potential franchise QB, he will go long before 16. Either someone will take him, or trade up for him. And I disagree about Detroit. Millen is on the hot seat, and he's seen Harrington up close for years now. Three #1 pick wideouts and no one to throw to them. They ping-ponged between Harrington and Garcia because neither could get the job done. I just don't think drafting a OLineman is going to buy Millen three or four more years to find a real QB. The fans in Detroit want a real QB, and Mr. Ford has to pay attention to the fans at this point. (particularly after the Bengals game where 2/3 of Detroit fans wore orange)

The other thing that gets said a lot about Detroit, Jets and Baltimore is that they'll "bring in a vet to compete" instead of drafting a QB. We all know who that cast of characters is, and that's why we want the 'fins to draft a QB.;)

The situation with Millen in Detroit is totally different to that in Miami. He has drafted Joey and the 3 amigos? and they've been a flop. If he drafts a QB, say Cutler, he has to wait at least another year before he's a starter. He doesn't have the luxury of that time. It's time for them to look elsewhere to strengthen. If they can't upgrade with a free agent IMO they will do with what they have for now.

I would love if we drafted Cutler but he will never drop to us even though I still don't know why any team would risk drafting him so high on his present record. If he's gone, take the best OT or DB we can and see what value we can pick up at QB in the later rounds.

Dolfan_Noles
01-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Detroit is definitely the biggest threat to draft Cutler. Denny Green feels that he can win with any QB, and he passed on the opportunity to draft Ben Roethlisberger for that exact reason. So Arizona wont draft him. Oakland wont either. They will either stick with Collins, or bring in a veteran. Dont forget they are very high on Andrew Walter and Tuiasasopo. Also, there is a very good chance that either Arizona, Oakland, or Baltimore could wind up with Culpepper, so that eliminates one of them. Kyle Boller still has a little bit of time left to prove himself in Baltimore.

maddendude
01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Maybee we can trade up, Sam Madison is our trade leverage. If anyone, the Titans could be interested. The packers kinda need a CB, or Oakland.

flip
01-22-2006, 03:34 PM
You think he'll want to get Cutler?

DOLFANMIKE
01-22-2006, 03:41 PM
You think he'll want to get Cutler?
One nice aspect of bringing in Mularkey is that we have the Bills and Fins draft info available to us, plus Sabans knowledge of the college players. We should have a fantastic draft again. :dolphins:

Dolfan1000
01-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Do we really WANT the Bills draft info?

Nick: "Hey Mike.. You can leave that in Buffalo."

GCD960
01-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Do we really WANT the Bills draft info?

Nick: "Hey Mike.. You can leave that in Buffalo."

F-IN HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ac_lanham
01-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Funny how some of these Bills fans (You know who you are) thought Mularkey was the 2nd coming of Christ

mia4ever
01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
What if Nick Saban pass on Jay Culter ,and Culter is available in the 16
I said the Guy won't ever get pick in the 1 round.

If the Fin pass him up.At 16!! asks ur self Is Jay bpa ,is Culter (a top 16 player)
do we reach for a QB knowing Jay will not make it to the Fin 2nd picks.

I say if Jay available at 16 trade trade trade!!!.

byroan
01-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Cutler is probably going to be a top 10 pick.