PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Omar Jacobs

Pages : [1] 2

killswitch
10-04-2005, 06:22 PM
These are prospects that have been especially impressive IMO (EDIT: this is not a ranking of prospects of any sort; just some random players who have impressed me)

QB - Jay Cutler - Vandy
QB - Brodie Croyle - Alabama; has ideal mechanics and one of the strongest arms in college football
QB - Charlie Whitehurst - Clemson; needs to learn how to manage the game better for the NFL as he's not effiecient in making reads, but physical skills are amazing
QB - Darell Hackney - UAB; has an absolute cannon and very tough. from what i've read, he is an undrafted FA type right now, but i'd bet that he'll get drafted. i think he'll surprise people

RB - DeAngelo Williams - Memphis; best Sr. RB in the nation
RB - P.J. Daniels - GT; he will run you over as many know, but what many underestimate is he ability to juke u out of your shoes; although he's not built like Steven Jackson at all, he reminds me of him with his combination of power and quick feet; i think this guy will surprise many in the NFL (EDIT: I'm not saying Steven Jackson and PJ Daniels run similarly, cause IMO they're far from similar in terms of running style. just saying they're both somewhat unique with their combination of power and quick feet)

WR - Jason Avant - Michigan

TE - Matt Herian - Nebraska

OT - Marcus McNeil - Auburn; many already know this guy is amazing, but i think he's the best lineman in the natoin - better than D'brick Ferguson (but nothing against Ferguson). In all the plays I've watched him this year and last, i;ve never seen him miss his assignment, except for when he goes downfield to block, an area which he can improve upon. for his size, he moves unbelievably well
OT - Andrew Whitworth - LSU; extremely physical
OT - Daryn Colledge - Boise St

DE - Darryl Tapp - VaTech; very powerful. although he's undersized he's a very solid run supporter but he's known as a pass-rusher
DE - Elvis Dumerville - Louisville; his lack of height will hurt his draft staus, but this guy's obviously a true football player. even though he's small he can still run both through and around lineman

DT- Larry Dibbles - Texas; more physical than teammate DT Rodrique Wright. IMO will be a solid NFL DT. he's an undersized overachiever
DT - Jesse Mahelona - Tennessee

LB - Demeco Ryans - Alabama
LB - Will Derting - Wash St

CB/S - Jason Allen

Underclassmen:
QB - Chris Leak - Florida (2007)

RB - Reggie Bush - USC (2007); enough said
RB - Lorenzo Booker - Fla St

WR - James Banks - transfer from Tenn to Carson-Newman (2007); had problems as a teammate on Tennesse, but his raw talent is impressive; 2 years ago, he was Tennessee's leading WR

DT/DE - Ray McDonald - Florida (2007); this guy's inconsistent, but sometimes he just blows up plays that makes you say wow. He can move real well for DT or DE, and can add weight if needed. he just got injured this past week i think
DE - Loren Howard - transfer from NWestrn to AZ St (2007); injuries have bothered him but when healthy, i think he's the best DE in college football. His intensity is like that of Matt Roth, but what truly separates him is his combinatoin of quickness and raw power

LB - Ahamd Brooks - Virginia (2007); will most likely be a high 1st-rd pick this year
LB - Philip Wheeler - GT (2008); this guy right now as a sophomore is unkown to many, but in 2 years he will be one of the top LB prospects in the nation. he's extremely explosive
LB - Nick Roach - Northwestern (2007); very athletic and when Sr ILB Adam Kadela leaves, Roach will begin to get the deserving attention

Overrated Players:

DE - Eric Henderson - GaTech; this guy is small, not that quick, and is often taken out of the play real early as he can't disengage when lineman get their hands on him. he is a tough player though

QB - Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green; i've never seen a more overhyped small-school QB than Omar Jacobs. The guy is well-built for his position and he's obviously an effective college QB. But beyond that he is far from special. The hype around this kid results completely from him being a product of his spread offense, QB-friendly system and his charisma on the field.

If you watch him play, he is not too accurate, his timing is not necessarily impressive (he way too often underthrows the deep ball for an elite QB prospect, or he throws a little behind his target), and his arm (to some people's surprise) is really not that strong at all.

Jacobs falls into the category of Timmy Chang, BJ Symons, Josh Harris (former Bowling Green QB), etc. All these guys were extremely effective college QB's b/c of their system who lacked NFL ability. In fact, do u guys remember 6'3, 238 lb. Josh Harris from a few years ago? remember how high some people were on this kid? His Sr year he threw for over 3,800 yds, rushed for 830 yds, completed 66% of his passes, 27 TD's and 12 ints. He was a late-rd draft pick. Now, quietly, he is out of the NFL.

While Jacobs obviously has impressive statistics, this does not mean that much. It can be deceiving. For example, for anyone who saw the Bowling Green vs Boise St game, Boise St.'s defense made Jacobs look extremely unimpressive. Jacobs forced way too many passes. He telegraphed his throws and obviously had a hard time checking down his reads against Boise St's zone D. He threw into traffic way too often. Overall, he played a very bad game. Yet, if you look at his stats from that game, they're pretty impressive: 18-36, 220 yds, 3 TD's, 0 ints. But, anyone who watched the game knows Jacobs' stats here don't reflect the true game he played as he played much worse than his stats would indicate.

Lastly, (and i saved this for last b/c to some people it's not important at all) his release is maybe the most unorthodox i've ever seen for a supposed Heisman-contender/NFL QB prospect. It's extremely long and inefficient. Not to mention, he practicly releases the ball on his shoulder, increasing the chance for the ball to be batted down at the line.

But, anyway, completely disregarding his atrocious release, he does not have much upside for the NFL. I have read that he can be a 1st rd draft pick next year if not his year, but i wholeheartedly disagree. In fact, whether he goes to the draft this year or next, he should not be a 1st-day pick. I expect his stock to fall during pre-draft workouts, etc. and i would be surprised if he is anything other than a late-rd pick.

NorthFloridaFin
10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Man, somebody doesn't like Omar Jacobs!!! Of the underclassmen, I believe if Lorenzo Booker was the main back at FSU, people would be saying the same things about him as they do Reggie Bush. I also believe Whitehurst will probably be the best QB in the NFL out of the names you mentioned.

motioncityhifi
10-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I agree about Jacobs. From what Ive seen he is like Andre Ware or a David Klingler. Product of the offense he is in and wont amount to much. I was just wondering, since I dont watch to much college football, how have some of the top CB prospects been?

Finaddict
10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Hate-r-ade! It's in you!

capecoralfinfan
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
omar jacobs is junk...a perfect analysis of 10 plus lines proves it. if i had to choose a mobile vick-like qb i'd have to just take his brother, otherwise, give me someone like chris leak or a standard pocket qb.

kbeath
10-04-2005, 07:09 PM
That is CLASSIC! The only game I have seen this kid play was the BOISE STATE GAME. He looked great!!!!!!! I was a qb and this kid has a big time arm and is a big athletic guy. He doesnt look like he throws hard almost effortless like peyton and eli. No I am not comparing them as far as careers go just that they throw a similer ball. He also throws great spirals which make the ball easier to catch. Time will Tell weather or not Jacobs has what it takes. But it is a rediculous comment to say he didnt play as well as his stats suggest.

kbeath
10-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I agree about Jacobs. From what Ive seen he is like Andre Ware or a David Klingler. Product of the offense he is in and wont amount to much. I was just wondering, since I dont watch to much college football, how have some of the top CB prospects been?

Obviously so dont comment!:lol: :shakeno:

DeathStar
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
best 3 qb prospects are leinart, vick and then young.

ether79
10-04-2005, 07:16 PM
He doesnt look like he throws hard almost effortless like peyton and eli. No I am not comparing them as far as careers go just that they throw a similer ball. He also throws great spirals which make the ball easier to catch.
Disagree completely. His throwing motion is one of the more unusual I've seen and there is no way his throws compare to either Manning. As for the spirals I can't tell you a decent QB who doesn't throw good spirals.

Miamifin23
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Come draft day, Dolphins need to draft the best available talent (no RB) and run with it. Too many teams draft for need and most of the time it doesnt work out farther down the road.

zephon
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
just to let the people who don't already know....LB - Will Derting - Wash St.....is now likely out for quite some time with an injury....possibly the rest of the year.

link: http://www.gbnreport.com/ it's on the OCT 4th info.

TheFallOfTroy54
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Omar Jacobs Sucks

SA_BUTTA
10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
I dont know about Young just yet, he has shown he can run with it, but I am uncertain about his passing accuracy. He is not even top 100 in QB rating he has 5 picks already. I would love to have Vick or Leinart though

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Come draft day, Dolphins need to draft the best available talent (no RB) and run with it. Too many teams draft for need and most of the time it doesnt work out farther down the road.

Exactly, I beleive Saban and Mueler think this way as well.

Buddwalk
10-04-2005, 07:31 PM
All the qbs next year are gonna be huge gambles except leinart...he'll be a gamble but not as much...cause most the questions people were wondering bout him have been answered so far this year

killswitch
10-04-2005, 07:50 PM
That is CLASSIC! The only game I have seen this kid play was the BOISE STATE GAME. He looked great!!!!!!! I was a qb and this kid has a big time arm and is a big athletic guy. He doesnt look like he throws hard almost effortless like peyton and eli. No I am not comparing them as far as careers go just that they throw a similer ball. He also throws great spirals which make the ball easier to catch. Time will Tell weather or not Jacobs has what it takes. But it is a rediculous comment to say he didnt play as well as his stats suggest.

wow, you think he played good. He was horrible in the 1st half, he was clueless. Boise St. shut him down and he couldn't improvise or adjust at all. In the 2nd half, after Boise St had put the game away and started playing softer, is when he got his TD's and completions. But he was absolutely unimpressive the whole game, especially in the 1st half. Also, as you watch him, you must recognize the spread offense Bowling Green runs and how it inflates his stats.

kastofsna120
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
did i just read someone comparing jacobs' release to peyton manning's? possibly the most ignorant thing i've ever seen

motioncityhifi
10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Obviously so dont comment!:lol: :shakeno:
So what Im saying is of the college football I watched Jacobs is another over hyped QB prospect.

Mike13
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Of coure we need a RB Ronnie's a bust remember guys? :rolleyes:
Seriously though I think thats a nice list, good job, except about your comments on Jacobs.

ItalianDolFan
10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
i think Saban should do whatever he can to trade pics and draft Marcus McNeil and Brodie Croyle. If Ricky Williams proves himself this year, im sure some teams would trade a 1st for him. It may actually be more important to draft a Top Center, instead of an Offensive Tackle like Marcus McNeil.....but McNeil has a good future. As for Jay Cutler, isnt that the name of a famous bodybuilder???

SF Dolphin Fan
10-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Great post. I don't get a chance to watch much college football anymore. I did see Alabama this past weekend, though, and was extremely impressed by Brody Croyle. He does have a strong NFL caliber arm, but it was his accuracy that really impressed me. Everyone of his throws, with few exceptions, was right on the mark. If it wasn't for injuries, I think he'd be considered a potential high draft pick. I also hear that he has the kind of intangibles that scouts love. Honestly, I think he's the type of qb a team can win with.

Marcus Vick also looks pretty impressive physically. He's a little short, though, and I don't think he's the type of player Saban would take for a leadership position although he did consider McPherson.

Leak didn't look good at all vs. Alabama and Jacobs looked terrible vs. Boise State. I'd like to see them both again, but based on those games Jacobs would have to be considered a developmental guy and not a first day draft pick. Leak might end up being a second day pick as well.

I'm trying to see all the top qb prospects so I appreciate feedback like yours.

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
i think Saban should do whatever he can to trade pics and draft Marcus McNeil and Brodie Croyle. If Ricky Williams proves himself this year, im sure some teams would trade a 1st for him. It may actually be more important to draft a Top Center, instead of an Offensive Tackle like Marcus McNeil.....but McNeil has a good future. As for Jay Cutler, isnt that the name of a famous bodybuilder???

Not true unfortanatly. Both Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander will be free agents next year. Why give up a 1st for a back with off the field issues when you can just sign Edgerrin or Shaun? I dont think we could get more than a 4 personaly.

Void
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
do u guys think Vick would be on the radar if his name wasn't Vick?

Ya'll are a trip.. u didnt want Ricky cause he smoked weed but you'll take a guy who is trying to or having sex with 14 year olds?... nice

CsonkaClone
10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm just relieved that Saban and Mueller are running the warroom next April!...:whew:

Phinz1
10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm just relieved that Saban and Mueller are running the warroom next April!...:whew:

:lol:

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
do u guys think Vick would be on the radar if his name wasn't Vick?

Ya'll are a trip.. u didnt want Ricky cause he smoked weed but you'll take a guy who is trying to or having sex with 14 year olds?... nice

Yes I do think he would be on the radar, as to the girls do you remeber how old they actualy were? I know they met at a colage party....

CrazyCarl
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Not true unfortanatly. Both Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander will be free agents next year. Why give up a 1st for a back with off the field issues when you can just sign Edgerrin or Shaun? I dont think we could get more than a 4 personaly.

Why would they sign and older back for huge bucks when they can trade for Ricky? It is possible, but not likely (getting a first that is)

I dont want us to use a first round pick on a QB, not unless Gus tanks.. And please, Vince Young will never be a starting NFL QB.. if he is I will eat my hat and video tape it LIVE and find a way to show you all.. because Young will never be a starting QB in the NFL

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Why would they sign and older back for huge bucks when they can trade for Ricky? It is possible, but not likely (getting a first that is)

I dont want us to use a first round pick on a QB, not unless Gus tanks.. And please, Vince Young will never be a starting NFL QB.. if he is I will eat my hat and video tape it LIVE and find a way to show you all.. because Young will never be a starting QB in the NFL

Alexander and Ricky were both born in 1977 and James was in the same draft class as Ricky.

Roman529
10-04-2005, 10:19 PM
These are prospects that have been especially impressive IMO (EDIT: this is not a ranking of prospects of any sort; just some random players who have impressed me)

Overrated Players

QB - Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green; i've never seen a more overhyped small-school QB than Omar Jacobs. The guy is well-built for his position and he's obviously an effective college QB. But beyond that he is far from special. The hype around this kid results completely from him being a product of his spread offense, QB-friendly system and his charisma on the field.

If you watch him play, he is not too accurate, his timing is not necessarily impressive (he way too often underthrows the deep ball for an elite QB prospect, or he throws a little behind his target), and his arm (to some people's surprise) is really not that strong at all.

Jacobs falls into the category of Timmy Chang, BJ Symons, Josh Harris (former Bowling Green QB), etc. All these guys were extremely effective college QB's b/c of their system who lacked NFL ability. In fact, do u guys remember 6'3, 238 lb. Josh Harris from a few years ago? remember how high some people were on this kid? His Sr year he threw for over 3,800 yds, rushed for 830 yds, completed 66% of his passes, 27 TD's and !2 ints. He was a late-rd draft pick. Now, quietly, he is out of the NFL.

But, anyway, completely disregarding his atrocious release, he does not have much upside for the NFL. I have read that he can be a 1st rd draft pick next year if not his year, but i wholeheartedly disagree. In fact, whether he goes to the draft this year or next, he should not be a 1st-day pick. I expect his stock to fall during pre-draft workouts, etc. and i would be surprised if he is anything other than a late-rd pick.

Yeah but does Omar Jacobs have any big time receivers to throw the ball too? I dont think he is as overated as Marcus Vick is.

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah but does Omar Jacobs have any big time receivers to throw the ball too? I dont think he is as overated as Marcus Vick is.

Other than the off the field issues, is there somthing in particular that people dont like about Vick? Just wondering.

kastofsna120
10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Other than the off the field issues, is there somthing in particular that people dont like about Vick? Just wondering.
doesn't have good size, plays in a shotgun a lot, panics under pressure, bad delivery...

SackArtist
10-04-2005, 11:04 PM

The guy thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread:goof: . Just cause mike vick is his bro doesn't mean anything about him. I just dont like his atittude.

I would rank the QB's in this order:
1. Vince Young
2. Leinart
3. Vick
I would rank Brady Quinn ahead of Vick but i'm not sure if he's eligible.

newlownorder
10-04-2005, 11:18 PM
I think I should be the one to say why Jacobs is NOT overrated since I started the Omar Jacobs in 2006 dealy.

1. Name one player on Bowling Green besides Jacobs that has value in the NFL.................no?........exactly. This goes the same for Vanderbilt QB Cutler but he has only 7 TD's and 3 Int's. Jacobs has 17 TD's and 2 Int's.

2. His mechanics: I dare you to look at some starting NFL QB's and tell me the didn't have awful mechanics in college or even still in the NFL. His can be corrected easy. He releases from his shoulder making it a quick, wrist snap like release. A good O-coordinator and QB coach can fix this by getting him to raise the ball higher and follow through more, which would give him a much more powerful release btw he has a huge gun for an arm.

3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to?? ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

I'm tired and don't have the time to agrue any more. Maybe tomorrow.

dolphan117
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
doesn't have good size, plays in a shotgun a lot, panics under pressure, bad delivery...

He is 6 feet and 212 pounds, not great size but not too bad. Its true he plays in the shotgun a lot but so did Byron Leftwich and quite a few other qbs, I havnt seem him play a tone (didnt see the last game) but I have yet to see him panic. I am not saying I wont him but he is curently the 2nd ranked qb in the league in passer efficiency. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/

kastofsna120
10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I think I should be the one to say why Jacobs is NOT overrated since I started the Omar Jacobs in 2006 dealy.

1. Name one player on Bowling Green besides Jacobs that has value in the NFL.................no?........exactly. This goes the same for Vanderbilt QB Cutler but he has only 7 TD's and 3 Int's. Jacobs has 17 TD's and 2 Int's.

2. His mechanics: I dare you to look at some starting NFL QB's and tell me the didn't have awful mechanics in college or even still in the NFL. His can be corrected easy. He releases from his shoulder making it a quick, wrist snap like release. A good O-coordinator and QB coach can fix this by getting him to raise the ball higher and follow through more, which would give him a much more powerful release btw he has a huge gun for an arm.

3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to?? ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

david klinger with dreads

FinFanGirl
10-05-2005, 12:52 AM
you forgot to mention OL - Eric Winston from the U - probably one of the best out there although i havent seen a UM game this yr to see if he's recoverd from his knee injury

yankeehillbilly
10-05-2005, 03:43 AM
If you are going to list players not likely to enter the draft till 2007 as players to watch, I think you have to include Sam Keller and Drew Stanton. In fact, because of the lack of blue chip QB talent(other than Leinart) in the upcoming draft, we may see one or both of them declare early. If they do, I think either would be worthy of a 1st day pick.

SF Dolphin Fan
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
True. Both of those guys would likely be 1st rounders, along with Quinn if he comes out, add Young if he declares. Looks like Young needs a lot of work, but he is an exciting prospect.

BigDogsHunt
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to??
ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

Um, trying to figure out how you list these numbers, them come up with Jacobs as the answer?????

ckparrothead
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Killswitch,

Wow, dude...after reading your impressions of Jacobs I went ahead and did not read your evaluations of all the other guys because I figure you could actually do more damage to my impressions of the other players than good.

Almost every single observation you've made was completely opposite to everything I have noticed in watching Jacobs for three games. It looks like you just watched the Boise State game and never saw Jacobs play any other game. He dissected an awesome Wisconsin defense and stayed score for score until Bowling Green's absolutely attrocious run defense finally got the best of them.

I'm not going to say Jacobs is the best or Jacobs is the man or any of that, but your strength/weakness profile of him was like, the complete OPPOSITE of the truth.

Armstrength? He has a cannon. Have YOU timed his passes? I have, thank you very much.

Accuracy? He's ultra-accurate, to the point where it is a bad thing. In the Boise State game he was throwing the ball accurately into where his receiver was, the only problem was 7 out of 10 times there was a defender there too waiting to bat down the ball.

Long Release? Wasted Motion? The guy's flick release has the least amount of wasted motion I've just about ever seen to the point of perversion. It is one of the things that make his release look so bad.

You never even hit on the guy's ACTUAL weaknesses, which are CLEARLY decision-making, footwork, and leadership....if we're talking about non-release issues. As far as the passes go, he has a cannon arm, fantastic accuracy, multiple years of top notch college production, and ideal size. That is an equation that spells first round. Wow. This review of Jacobs is so bad I think I am actually going to have to somehow keep tabs on it, maybe save it so that I can have a few words with mister Killswitch after the draft when Jacobs goes in the first round. Yeesh.

Don't get me wrong I use to be high on Jacobs' jock but the Boise State game changed my mind a little bit, and I'm not sure that Jacobs has the decision-making or mental abilities to be a successful NFL pro. He does not appear to be a very good leader either and that is not what you want to see in a field general.

Bowl_Bound
10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I like Brodie Croyle as well but dont overlook the kid from Michigan State.

CrazyCarl
10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Alexander and Ricky were both born in 1977 and James was in the same draft class as Ricky.

Ricky and Alexander are compareable, Edge is a year older than Ricky.. but what im trying to say is out of all of them Ricky has the less miles on him IMO and trading for him with his contract would be better than signing Alexander or Edge to a huge deal

ckparrothead
10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Ricky doesn't have less miles on him than Edgerrin. Coming out of college one of Ricky's biggest knocks vs. Edge was that Ricky has a lot more miles on him than Edge.

BigScuingili
10-05-2005, 02:09 PM
I gotta throw Gradkowski in the mix here guys.

killswitch
10-05-2005, 06:13 PM

If you read my entire post, my whole point was that statitics aren't accurate in projecting his NFL value. The example I gave was the Boise St vs Bowling Green game. His stats were real solid, yet if you watched the game he played horrible. So, to me, his stats aren't nearly as important as people like you make them seem. Just look at his system. Look at Josh Harris, etc.

Also, i agree that there are NFL QB's with "bad" mechanics, but that doesn't mean that we can just brush off Jacobs' bad mechanics as not being a weakness. The fact is, it is a weakness. I agree that, if he is a good enough QB (if he can make reads effectively, make the right throws, is accurate, has a strong arm, etc.) then his bad mechanics are practically negligible. That was the case many scouts felt with Philip Rivers coming out of college to use a quick example off the top of my head, and hence, Rivers was the 4th pick of the draft. That's also why i said

And you say that a QB's release can be easily changed and corrected. That's ridiculous. Each thrower has their own, nautural throwing motion. Jacobs' release is extremely unorthodox, so extreme that to say it can be easily corrected is almost ******ed. It may be able to be efficiently tweaked a bit, but a QB's natural throwing motion will never dramatically change.

Winbaby#23
10-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I suppose he wants sam keller over omar jacobs?? LMAOOOOOO!! Give me a break....:lol: :lol:

Phinz4Life
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Don't diss mah boy Omar. :(

dolfan72734me
10-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Yes, Jay " A cut above" Cutler. That would be a hoot watching that Cutler play qb :lol:

killswitch
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Killswitch,Almost every single observation you've made was completely opposite to everything I have noticed in watching Jacobs for three games. It looks like you just watched the Boise State game and never saw Jacobs play any other game. He dissected an awesome Wisconsin defense and stayed score for score until Bowling Green's absolutely attrocious run defense finally got the best of them.

Actually, I saw some of the the Bowling Green, Wisconsin game, he played a great game. HE did not dissect the Wisconsin defense though. HE id do what Bowling Green's spread offense does for QB's. When Josh Harris threw for almost 400 yds and 3 TD's against Northwestern in the Motor City Bowl, did HE dissect the Northwestern defense? Sure, it's easy to say that HE did, but in reality it was the system. So, where did that get Josh Harris now when everyone was so high on him? out of the NFL. My claim is that you're confusing the system with the skills of a QB.

I'm not going to say Jacobs is the best or Jacobs is the man or any of that, but your strength/weakness profile of him was like, the complete OPPOSITE of the truth.

Armstrength? He has a cannon. Have YOU timed his passes? I have, thank you very much.

you're welcome. Thanks for the analysis on your results of timing his passes. Very informative.:lol:

I'm claiming that his arm strength is no where near where people a lot of people like you say it is. Just because he's big and black doesn't mean he's got a strong arm, even though many are gonna stereotype him. Tell you what, next time, I will make an attempt to time his passes and compare the results and actually give some analysis. Maybe it can prove the truth about his arm strength or maybe not. we'll see.

Accuracy? He's ultra-accurate, to the point where it is a bad thing. In the Boise State game he was throwing the ball accurately into where his receiver was, the only problem was 7 out of 10 times there was a defender there too waiting to bat down the ball..

:rolleyes:
if you're serious about him being too accurate "to the point where it's a bad thing" then i think maybe i should just stop now out of respect for myself. Seriously though, if he's so ultra accurate, why would he throw to where a defender can knock it down. So, is he trying to throw to the defense or something? Cause if he's so ultra-accurate can't he throw it where he wants, away from defenders?

Long Release? Wasted Motion? The guy's flick release has the least amount of wasted motion I've just about ever seen to the point of perversion. It is one of the things that make his release look so bad..

what the f*ck? have you watched his release and compared it to any other QB? There's two problems with his release: it's very long, and the ball is released at a low angle. This IMO isn't that big of a deal (that's why i said in my original post, "completely disregarding his atrocious release" he still lacks NFL upside), although it's still an obvious negative. I don't know how to respond to this, except to tell you to watch him and pay attention. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, if you watched the Bowling Green, Boise St game, the anouncers talked about his horrid release and they talked about how it may need to be changed and it's a concern. Did you hear that part? But, disregarding what they said, it's just obvious for any common football fan to see and notice. His release is not only unorthodox, but also inefficient.
...Damnit, I didn't mean to post this long on the guy's release, b/c IMO a QB's release is not necessarily that important, if his other attributes remain unaffected by it. In Jacobs' case, they don't.

You never even hit on the guy's ACTUAL weaknesses, which are CLEARLY decision-making, footwork, and leadership....if we're talking about non-release issues. As far as the passes go, he has a cannon arm, fantastic accuracy, multiple years of top notch college production, and ideal size. That is an equation that spells first round. Wow. This review of Jacobs is so bad I think I am actually going to have to somehow keep tabs on it, maybe save it so that I can have a few words with mister Killswitch after the draft when Jacobs goes in the first round. Yeesh.

If you're gonna tell me what I said, then at least be accurate. I actually did mention his decision-making. I said he "forced way too many passes. He telegraphed his throws and obviously had a hard time checking down his reads." That would fall under the category of decision-making, wouldn't it? I meant for it to. I maintain that he does not have a strong arm. His footwork, actually, isn't tha tbad by the way. He sets up pretty well.

Don't get me wrong I use to be high on Jacobs' jock but the Boise State game changed my mind a little bit, and I'm not sure that Jacobs has the decision-making or mental abilities to be a successful NFL pro. He does not appear to be a very good leader either and that is not what you want to see in a field general.

I don't know about him as a leader, although I have read and heard he's a quiet, humble guy. Anyways, there is a reason this guy was recruited only by Bowling Green, Ohio, and 2 othe small schools I forgot. Jacobs is a product of his system, and he fits damn well into the system. But that's it. As far as NFL-ability, he will prove not to have it, just like his predecessor, Josh Harris.

And just to let you know, you really contradicted yourself here. You said "I'm not going to say Jacobs is the best or Jacobs is the man or any of that." Yet, later you said his skills "[are] an equation that spells first round." I'm lloking foward to when you can be proven wrong.

kastofsna120
10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I suppose he wants sam keller over omar jacobs?? LMAOOOOOO!! Give me a break....:lol: :lol:
yeah why would anyone want a QB who actually plays in a pro-style system and plays against quality teams and has a better arm? over a guy who is COMPLETELY a product of the system he plays in

capecoralfinfan
10-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Just because he's big and black doesn't mean he's got a strong arm, even though many are gonna stereotype him.

UHHH ohhh you pulled the race cord errr card...i can't say i don't disagree though.

CrazyCarl
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Ricky doesn't have less miles on him than Edgerrin. Coming out of college one of Ricky's biggest knocks vs. Edge was that Ricky has a lot more miles on him than Edge.

I disagree... people in their early 20's playing most of their games against lesser competition arent gonna be worn down coming into the NFL

Phishstix
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
jacobs has talent, but would be a huge project. he doesn't get coached, plain and simple. imo the bgsu coaches have just plugged him into the system and not worked with him on preparation for the next level i.e. reading defenses, mechanics, and footwork. jacobs w/ no seasoning can run through the mac, but the afc east is a different story. whoever drafts him would be looking at about a 2-3 year wait before he is even close to ready to be a starting qb.

and killswitch, how have you evaluated ahmad brooks and he's only played 20 snaps the whole year? busted! ;)

BigScuingili
10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Omar will get killed at the combine i think by Gradkowski as the better MAC QB with better tools.

SMadison29
10-05-2005, 08:58 PM
DE - Elvis Dumervil - Louisville; his lack of height will hurt his draft staus, but this guy's obviously a true football player. even though he's small he can still run both through and around lineman

His height won't hurt him. DE's don't have to be 6'4, they can be 6'0 & be just fine. It provides them with more leverage being short.

I gotta throw Gradkowski in the mix here guys.

& as you're throwing him I'll hold the window open & throw Leak out with him.

StLouisFinFan
10-05-2005, 09:59 PM

QB - Jay Cutler - Vandy
QB - Brodie Croyle - Alabama; has ideal mechanics and one of the strongest arms in college football
QB - Charlie Whitehurst - Clemson; needs to learn how to manage the game better for the NFL as he's not effiecient in making reads, but physical skills are amazing
QB - Darell Hackney - UAB; has an absolute cannon and very tough. from what i've read, he is an undrafted FA type right now, but i'd bet that he'll get drafted. i think he'll surprise people

RB - P.J. Daniels - GT; he will run you over as many know, but what many underestimate is he ability to juke u out of your shoes; although he's not built like Steven Jackson at all, he reminds me of him with his combination of power and quick feet; i think this guy will surprise many in the NFL

OT - Marcus McNeil - Auburn; many already know this guy is amazing, but i think he's the best lineman in the natoin - better than D'brick Ferguson (but nothing against Ferguson). In all the plays I've watched him this year and last, i;ve never seen him miss his assignment, except for when he goes downfield to block, an area which he can improve upon. for his size, he moves unbelievably well

DE - Darryl Tapp - VaTech; very powerful. although he's undersized he's a very solid run supporter but he's known as a pass-rusher
DE - Elvis Dumerville - Louisville; his lack of height will hurt his draft staus, but this guy's obviously a true football player. even though he's small he can still run both through and around lineman

DT- Larry Dibbles - Texas; more physical than teammate DT Rodrique Wright. IMO will be a solid NFL DT. he's an undersized overachiever

CB/S - Jason Allen

Underclassmen:

WR - James Banks - transfer from Tenn to Carson-Newman (2007); had problems as a teammate on Tennesse, but his raw talent is impressive; 2 years ago, he was Tennessee's leading WR

DT/DE - Ray McDonald - Florida (2007); this guy's inconsistent, but sometimes he just blows up plays that makes you say wow. He can move real well for DT or DE, and can add weight if needed. he just got injured this past week i think
DE - Loren Howard - transfer from NWestrn to AZ St (2007); injuries have bothered him but when healthy, i think he's the best DE in college football. His intensity is like that of Matt Roth, but what truly separates him is his combinatoin of quickness and raw power

LB - Ahamd Brooks - Virginia (2007); will most likely be a high 1st-rd pick this year
LB - Philip Wheeler - GT (2008); this guy right now as a sophomore is unkown to many, but in 2 years he will be one of the top LB prospects in the nation. he's extremely explosive
LB - Nick Roach - Northwestern (2007); very athletic and when Sr ILB Adam Kadela leaves, Roach will begin to get the deserving attention

Overrated Players:

DE - Eric Henderson - GaTech; this guy is small, not that quick, and is often taken out of the play real early as he can't disengage when lineman get their hands on him. he is a tough player though

Jacobs falls into the category of Timmy Chang, BJ Symons, Josh Harris (former Bowling Green QB), etc. All these guys were extremely effective college QB's b/c of their system who lacked NFL ability. In fact, do u guys remember 6'3, 238 lb. Josh Harris from a few years ago? remember how high some people were on this kid? His Sr year he threw for over 3,800 yds, rushed for 830 yds, completed 66% of his passes, 27 TD's and !2 ints. He was a late-rd draft pick. Now, quietly, he is out of the NFL.

While Jacobs obviously has impressive statistics, this does not mean that much. It can be deceiving. For example, for anyone who saw the Bowling Green vs Boise St game, Boise St.'s defense made Jacobs look extremely unimpressive. Jacobs forced way too many passes. He telegraphed his throws and obviously had a hard time checking down his reads against Boise St's zone D. He threw into traffic way too often. Overall, he played a very bad game. Yet, if you look at his stats from that game, they're pretty impressive: 18-36, 220 yds, 3 TD's, 0 ints. But, anyone who watched the game knows Jacobs' stats here don't reflect the true game he played as he played much worse than his stats would indicate.

Lastly, (and i saved this for last b/c to some people it's not important at all) his release is maybe the most unorthodox i've ever seen for a supposed Heisman-contender/NFL QB prospect. It's extremely long and inefficient. Not to mention, he practicly releases the ball on his shoulder, increasing the chance for the ball to be batted down at the line.

I agree about Jacobs. I watched two games of his this year (Wisc. and BS), and was absolutely unimpressed. Very weird throwing motion and not alot of velocity or accuracy. He sort of just floated the ball to the receivers and they were timed well so they were completions for yards, but he wasn't showing me anything special I'll tell you. This guy is seriously overhyped by ESPN b/c they focus on numbers only. Numbers = ratings.

StLouisFinFan
10-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Throws like Manning? You've got to be kidding! His throwing motion looks effortless b/c he doesn't have an arm.

djfresh47
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I think Jacobs was overrated, but he seems to be slipping some on draft boards. Talent wise, I don't think he's overrated, but he's a huge project, and with a "win now" attitude in the NFL, I don't think he's worth a high first rd pick. The best thing that could happen to Jacobs would be go to a team like the Titans and be the 3rd Qb for a couple seasons if McNair decides to play a few more years or even Kc behind Green. He's going to take a long time develop, so taking him high in the draft does not make sense to me because of the contract he'll be awarded, when he's definately not ready at all, IMO. Staying for his SR season IMO would help his NFL career, because he'll get pressed into action when he does not seem to be ready.

Alex13
10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
the only type of QB's i'd take are pocket passers they are the true breed of QB's, they're the ones that win superbowls, for the Draft i'd take Croyle and for an underclassmen i'd take Palko even though hes screwed in wanny's system he'd be a great fit for saban's.

killswitch
10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
and killswitch, how have you evaluated ahmad brooks and he's only played 20 snaps the whole year? busted! ;)

uhhh cause he's started at Virginia the pas 2 years

kastofsna120
10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
His height won't hurt him. DE's don't have to be 6'4, they can be 6'0 & be just fine. It provides them with more leverage being short.
huh? what?

killswitch
10-05-2005, 11:35 PM

yeah being smaller can help you gain leverage, but ideally DE's are 6'4, are able to both get under the OL's pads, have long arms to keep the blockers at a distance. Being small like Dumerville makes it harder to executive a type of swim move, and taking that aspect away from a DE is disadvantageous. Look at DE's in the NFL, I'd be wiling to bet on average they are at least 6'3, probably a little taller.

idaho
10-06-2005, 12:04 AM

I don't know which boise state game you watched but I was on the 40 yard line and Omar Jacobs didnot play well at all. He is big and has a big arm and just may have had an off night but against boise state he was a stinker.

Phinsfan1980
10-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Omar Jacobs has some tools but he misses on some throws and can make some poor decisions. I agree that he does come from a school that is built for the pass. Just look at what Josh Harris did before him. But, Jacobs in the right offense and with the right coaching could be another Culpepper ( Big gun and good wheels but will turn the ball over some).

TakeIt2DaHouse
10-06-2005, 12:46 AM
i agree everything you said about o.jacobs

HysterikiLL
10-06-2005, 04:04 AM
I agree with the analyses of Dumerville and McNeil. I'd like both of them (I wouldn't draft Dumerville to the Phins as we don't need him).

I think we'll draft a QB 2nd or 3rd round personally. I don't like this class though.

ToledoPhinFaN
10-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Omar Jacobs Sucks

exactly

aerokev
10-06-2005, 07:22 AM

i would say quinn, young, then leinart

BigScuingili
10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Leinart hasn't lost a game yet.

kastofsna120
10-06-2005, 10:50 AM
wrong

nando03
10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
wrong

Yeah Keller gave that game away with more INT's that game then the other games combined.

I'm glad the spread was 16 points cause I picked Zona St. that game. I thought they would actually beat USC though. Then Keller stunk it up the 2nd half.

As for College QB's that I have been watching the past 3 weeks. The ones that have impressed me. My opinion which may vary to others have been:

(In no Particular order)
Vick
Quinn
Stanton
Leinart
Jacobs

I really like that kid Brady Quinn. Late 1st round pick unless he keeps up what he has been doing. The fact that he is being coached by C. Weis makes me want him more. The guy is learning an NFL system that has worked great for a guy named Brady currently in the NFL. He could work well with Linehan here in Mia.

Vick has been doing well too. Every game this kid gets better. V. tech plays a great style of football. They play similar to us with what is soon to be our two back system. Run's and short passes to spread the defense and then pick them apart. Screens which I can see us doing more with dumps and RB's spread as wideouts in motion. He is definetely looked better then Mike Vick as fas as a passer. Plus he is mobile.

I agree with both sides of the Jacobs issue. The Spread offense does worry me. However I think the guy has the athleticism and the tools to be a good QB. He has no weapons yet still makes the plays.

All in all I would be happy with any of the 5 QB's I just listed. However realistically, I'm watching more of:

Vick/Quinn/Stanton/Jacobs. Those are the guys that will go towards between the middle and end of the 1st round. According to Scouts Inc. Leinart is top 5 pick, and Young is Top 15. Jacobs before 25. Stanton/Quinn Late 1st and look for Vick to make his way up there as well.

ckparrothead
10-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I can't believe Jacobs' arm is being questioned. That is the least questionable aspect about him. His motion, decision-making, footwork, and leadership are clearly the biggest knocks on him.

And about the suggestion that I just assume he has a good arm because he's big and black, grow up killswitch. Seriously.

We'll have to agree to disagree. And I did not contradict myself at all. Yes, I wholeheartedly believe Jacobs will be drafted in the first round. No, I am not going out of my way to say that he's "the man" or that we HAVE to get this guy or that he's the best or anything. A fourth grader could see how those statements don't contradict each other.

aerokev
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM

the fact that leinert is in the worst conference in college football has a lot to do with his stats. if wins and losses were the only reason for drafting a QB, why doesn't OK and Nebraska have some in the league?

kastofsna120
10-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah Keller gave that game away with more INT's that game then the other games combined.

I'm glad the spread was 16 points cause I picked Zona St. that game. I thought they would actually beat USC though. Then Keller stunk it up the 2nd half.
? keller played better in the 2nd half than the first. saying he gave the game away is ridiculous and proves you didn't watch it at all

ckparrothead
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
the fact that leinert is in the worst conference in college football has a lot to do with his stats. if wins and losses were the only reason for drafting a QB, why doesn't OK and Nebraska have some in the league?

Yeah, but as far as managing a game goes Leinart is just head and shoulder above the rest and you can see it on the tape, regardless of opponent.

kastofsna120
10-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, but as far as managing a game goes Leinart is just head and shoulder above the rest and you can see it on the tape, regardless of opponent.
yeah i don't care who he's playing, he's clearly doing things that pro QBs do all the time. how many times do you see him change a route with his receiver to beat the coverage? it's easier to do in college, but at least he's doing it. and his best games usually come against the best teams, so i don't see how degrading his competition makes sense

ckparrothead
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah, one of the things I actually like to see in a college QB is a certain amount of trust in your WRs to make a play. A lot of college QBs can find the wide open guy and deliver the ball. But when you get into the pros you learn that guys don't get open like they do in college unless you get the game going in a rhythm...and one of the things you like to see is a guy who isn't afraid to belt one out there to a good receiver to see if he goes up and gets it.

That was honestly one of the things I liked about Jacobs. Against Boise State though, it was just terrible he threw perfectly on-target passes to guys who were perfectly covered, sometimes by as many as two or three defenders. Those passes weren't inaccurate, they were just plain stupid. What I meant when I said his accuracy is near to a fault, is it seems almost like the guy is going to put the ball on the front shoulder of a wide receiver no matter where the defender is, and doesn't adjust the ball placement for where the defenders are coming from. I guess maybe I shouldn't say that is "too accurate" because I guess a truly accurate passer would fit it into the spot where only the WR could get it...but I feel it has way more to do with technique and decision-making than it does how consistently he is able to throw the ball where he wants to throw it...

killswitch
10-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I can't believe Jacobs' arm is being questioned. That is the least questionable aspect about him. His motion, decision-making, footwork, and leadership are clearly the biggest knocks on him.

And about the suggestion that I just assume he has a good arm because he's big and black, grow up killswitch. Seriously.

We'll have to agree to disagree. And I did not contradict myself at all. Yes, I wholeheartedly believe Jacobs will be drafted in the first round. No, I am not going out of my way to say that he's "the man" or that we HAVE to get this guy or that he's the best or anything. A fourth grader could see how those statements don't contradict each other.

grow up? lol. how the f*ck is saying that people are gonna unconsiously stereotype him as having a big arm cause he's big and black a childish suggestion. what world do u live in where stereotypes don't exist?

And, sorry, I had assumed that saying he's gonna be a 1st-round pick is pretty much equivelant to saying he's "the man." guess i was wrong.

And another thing... look at the other posts: i'm not the only one who's questioning his arm.

killswitch
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Against Boise State though, it was just terrible he threw perfectly on-target passes to guys who were perfectly covered, sometimes by as many as two or three defenders. Those passes weren't inaccurate, they were just plain stupid.

man i don't see how you wre so impressed with his accuracy. Against Boise St, especially, he was far from alleged 1st-rd-talent accuracy-wise. he threw behind his guys way too often. did u not pick up on that?

kastofsna120
10-07-2005, 08:31 PM
man i don't see how you wre so impressed with his accuracy. Against Boise St, especially, he was far from alleged 1st-rd-talent accuracy-wise. he threw behind his guys way too often. did u not pick up on that?
he floats the ball. he has no zip at all

killswitch
10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
he floats the ball. he has no zip at all

agree. the trajectory of his intermediate passes especially is far from impressive.

Void
10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes I do think he would be on the radar, as to the girls do you remeber how old they actualy were? I know they met at a colage party....

Yes, one was 14 and one was 15.

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/media/paper590/news/2004/09/21/Sports/Vick-Sentenced.Fined.For.Drinking.With.Minors-724943.shtml

phinphan896
10-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Vick is overrated, Leinart is damaged goods, i would take Jacobs.
And you forgot to mention the best receiver in college ball - Calvin johnson

kastofsna120
10-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Vick is overrated, Leinart is damaged goods, i would take Jacobs.
And you forgot to mention the best receiver in college ball - Calvin johnson
vick overrated? yes
leinart damaged goods? i don't even know what that means, so no
jacobs? no
calvin johnson best receiver? nope, but he'll be there in a year

SMadison29
10-26-2005, 10:15 PM
calvin johnson best receiver? nope, but he'll be there in a year

He's good but I think USC's Dwayne Jarrett is the best sophomore receiver.

Dors156
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
i believe omar could be a 3rd to 4th round pick.if we didnt get a QB and we were in the 4th id take him in a heartbeat,3rd might havta think about it.ur thoughts?

RAS25
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
his stock is down alot but i dont think he falls to the 3rd round

kastofsna120
11-22-2005, 11:44 PM
he'll be a first rounder once the draft rolls around

SMadison29
11-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Late 2nd early 3rd. His stock is way down but will be helped out if Quinn & Young stay in school.

DonShula84
11-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Dorsaroll156 no way are you leader of anything related to Brady Quinn ;)

ether79
11-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Dorsaroll156 no way are you leader of anything related to Brady Quinn ;)

I'd say you 1
me 2.;)

as if it matters:lol: :foundout:

Playmaker7
11-23-2005, 11:41 AM
What would be best is to stay in school, but with Young, Quinn, and Stanton amoung others staying, coming out this year might give him the best shot at a higher pick. He'd be the best junior QB. Obviously he would be picked behind Leinart, but where he is placed amounsts the other senior QBs is the question. Base on potential, he might be the best after Leinart.

Show Me Your TDs
11-24-2005, 12:19 AM
He has to stay another year in school. His mechanics are too low for the NFL. Even though he has the height advantage (6-4) he throws below his shoulder which will cause too many tipped balls. If he came out this year he would a late Day One pick (3rd round). I think with the injury and this is his only 2nd year starting will cause him to stay in college one more year.

Show Me Your TDs
11-24-2005, 12:21 AM
What would be best is to stay in school, but with Young, Quinn, and Stanton amoung others staying, coming out this year might give him the best shot at a higher pick. He'd be the best junior QB. Obviously he would be picked behind Leinart, but where he is placed amounsts the other senior QBs is the question. Base on potential, he might be the best after Leinart.

Jacobs? No..........
The best junior QB is Brady Quinn. After watching film on him for the past three years he has really developed at the Pro level and has that "it" factor that scouts look for in QBs.

Playmaker7
11-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Jacobs? No..........
The best junior QB is Brady Quinn. After watching film on him for the past three years he has really developed at the Pro level and has that "it" factor that scouts look for in QBs.

I was refering to JR's that would declare. Quinn has said unless something drastic happens he is staying.

saves
11-24-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm thinking his stock is 3rd round right now. If he would have performed like he did last year again this year we would be looking at top first rounder outta him, but a number of factors contributed to him having a down season and I just don't see that "wow" out of him I did last year.

Word has it he will be staying around to graduate. He would have left if he was still projected 1st round but with this poor season its best to stick around and get a degree. I think it is in his best intrest to stay in school, even though the team is loosing his best RB and top 2 WR's, the defense looks to be stronger and hopefully the coaching staff pulls their heads outta their ***** and call plays the defense dosn't see coming a mile away. Couple that with Omar perhaps maturing into more of a leader and a shot at a conference title and his stock should shoot back up.

harman097
11-28-2005, 08:36 AM
if he declares i'd see him going in the 2nd. but he's bein a good kid and stayin in school.

Phishstix
11-28-2005, 11:48 AM
i'd say late 1st-early 2nd. a good team looking to groom a future qb would take a chance on him. he has potential, but is a big time project.

dm416
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
I saw him playing and he has terrible mechanics and a sidearm throw

LostInPatsLand
12-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Jacobs May Declare Early for the NFL Draft (http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/SPORTS03/511290416/-1/SPORTS)

and

Don't Go Omar! (http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051130/COLUMNIST09/511300415/-1/NEWS10)

Nappy Roots
12-02-2005, 02:30 AM
He isnt going to prove anymore more playing a BG. his numbers cant improve from his last 2 years.

If hes completely healthy he should enter the draft.

jnewmant
12-02-2005, 03:00 AM
He isnt going to prove anymore more playing a BG. his numbers cant improve from his last 2 years.

If hes completely healthy he should enter the draft.a totally agree there's absolutely no reason for him to stay it's not like he's gonna win a national championship at bowling green

gunhaver
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
he HAS to leave early. he's losing the best players on his offense and A) will risk another injury if he stays, and B) he won't put up better numbers than this year or last year. whether he's prepared for the NFL is moot; he can't stay in college

Oboy
12-02-2005, 03:10 PM
he HAS to leave early. he's losing the best players on his offense and A) will risk another injury if he stays, and B) he won't put up better numbers than this year or last year. whether he's prepared for the NFL is moot; he can't stay in college
You are probably right. Sadly I dont' think he is even a first day pick. Too many questions...

SA_BUTTA
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Even now he will be lucky to be a 2nd rounder, if he waits till next year he prolly wont even go on the first day at all.

Sikk Caden
12-02-2005, 10:52 PM
I would take Omar Jacobs anyday. He has kind of an akward release, but I dont know I like the kid

wazzy
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I would spend a 4th rounder on him if hes still around. I'm sure he won't be but we have other wholes to take care of before we take a questionable QB.

saves
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I think staying would be bettre for his draft status. He was a 1st rounder coming into this year and realy fell off because of alot of things. If he can turn it around next year and show consistency he can squeak his way back up draft boards.

I'd say he is about a 3rd rounder right now.

ChambersWI
12-03-2005, 01:48 PM
some of you are talking crazy. If Omar enters the draft, he is at best the 2nd best QB and at worst the 4th best. He'll definatly be a first day pick, probably a first round pick.

Nappy Roots
12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
after workouts i see him going in the 2nd.

gunhaver
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
he'll be in the first round when it's all said and done, mostly due to the lack of any other good QB

saves
12-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't know, unless he has a stellar workout, hes a 3rd rounder from this season. Based only on his sophomore year he is a possible first round talent, this year really set him back.

saves
12-23-2005, 04:16 AM
I can't believe your saying he has a long release, or even comparing him to Josh Harris. He has a super quick release, he hardly pulls the ball behind him. I used to think he looked like he was throwing a dart. Also when Josh Harris was putting up those number Urban Myer was running the offense and it was much different than than it is now. It was an option-run offense that utilized Harris's ability to throw the ball halfway down the field with ease. The current offense is taylored around Jacobs ability to put the ball where he wants it and cut up a defense. I think when he learns to use his athletic ability more and run the ball rather than try to force throws like does, and many times I've seen him complete, he will be a much much better QB. I wrote this in another thread about your opinion on jacobs.

I can be 100% positive you have never seen him play anytime other than Boise State. It was a horrible display by the team and Omar, and the Boise State defense absolutley figured out the offense, and I've never seen him start a game so bad. But to their defense, Boise dosn't have that home win streak for a reason, and the amount of support they had at that games makes the word minimal an overstatement.

Besides that, his other full year of starting and even against highly ranked Wisconsin this year, he has looked amazing with great arm strength and incredible accuracy and decision making. Go back and watch that game, he should have won it for them on more than one occasion, but dropped passes, even a big droped TD, plauged the team.

And Bowling Green runs the ball more than their fair share, notching up well over 1,000 yards rushing, and he runs more of a balanced offense than you think.

He has displayed all the physical tools needed to be a NFL quality player. He has size, athletic ablity, and an arm that makes all the throws. He has displayed a great amount of composure and a good QB mind, knowing when to take a chance and when not too. My largest knock on him is not his mechanics, which I say if they ain't broke don't fix um (he is 6'5 the ball isn't coming out that low), but his quiet personality. He is not a real rah rah QB, but a quiet, composed type. The kind of guy who just wants to go out and get it done, almost machine like. But his teamates trust him and respect him as their star so I guess he is doing something right.

After his recored setting first season, his second starting year included a separated shoulder, underachieving team, and some personal problems, but in light of all these things he has still put up a year alot of QB's wouldn't mind having. I'm not going to say he is a sure fire hit, but to be as confident of his failure as you are is absured and shows your apparent lack of knowledge on the subject.

Lazy1
12-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Hackney seems like a guy mueller would like.

killswitch
12-23-2005, 04:55 AM
I can't believe your saying he has a long release, or even comparing him to Josh Harris. He has a super quick release, he hardly pulls the ball behind him. I used to think he looked like he was throwing a dart. Also when Josh Harris was putting up those number Urban Myer was running the offense and it was much different than than it is now. It was an option-run offense that utilized Harris's ability to throw the ball halfway down the field with ease. The current offense is taylored around Jacobs ability to put the ball where he wants it and cut up a defense. I think when he learns to use his athletic ability more and run the ball rather than try to force throws like does, and many times I've seen him complete, he will be a much much better QB. I wrote this in another thread about your opinion on jacobs.

I can be 100% positive you have never seen him play anytime other than Boise State. It was a horrible display by the team and Omar, and the Boise State defense absolutley figured out the offense, and I've never seen him start a game so bad. But to their defense, Boise dosn't have that home win streak for a reason, and the amount of support they had at that games makes the word minimal an overstatement.

Besides that, his other full year of starting and even against highly ranked Wisconsin this year, he has looked amazing with great arm strength and incredible accuracy and decision making. Go back and watch that game, he should have won it for them on more than one occasion, but dropped passes, even a big droped TD, plauged the team.

And Bowling Green runs the ball more than their fair share, notching up well over 1,000 yards rushing, and he runs more of a balanced offense than you think.

He has displayed all the physical tools needed to be a NFL quality player. He has size, athletic ablity, and an arm that makes all the throws. He has displayed a great amount of composure and a good QB mind, knowing when to take a chance and when not too. My largest knock on him is not his mechanics, which I say if they ain't broke don't fix um (he is 6'5 the ball isn't coming out that low), but his quiet personality. He is not a real rah rah QB, but a quiet, composed type. The kind of guy who just wants to go out and get it done, almost machine like. But his teamates trust him and respect him as their star so I guess he is doing something right.

After his recored setting first season, his second starting year included a separated shoulder, underachieving team, and some personal problems, but in light of all these things he has still put up a year alot of QB's wouldn't mind having. I'm not going to say he is a sure fire hit, but to be as confident of his failure as you are is absured and shows your apparent lack of knowledge on the subject.

Please shut up and don't tell me if i've seen him play more than once or not. I wouldn't make a post like that on a player I've only seen play once. This year I've seen him against Wisconsin, Miami (OH), and Boise St and last year I saw him in his bowl game against Memphis and against Oklahoma to start the year off, not to mention all the other countless clips and parts of games I've watched him in.

Listen...Jacobs' stats are impressive without question. Many others have put up amazing numbers in similar offenses, but not quite as good as Jacobs's, and I'll give him that. But, in judging his actual play on the field and not completely by his inflated statistics, he comes no where close to matching his hype that people like you create. I've already stated why I believe this. and btw, in addition to the Wisconsin game and Boise St game where he was unimpressive, his stats made his game against Memphis last year look better than he really played. The 5 TD's in that game jumps out at u on the stat line, but what about his 18 incompleteions. A lot of time with Jacobs, in that game I remember as well, he wont hit his WR in stride, but he'll still make the completion, so it won't look as bad. and thata's where the system he's in helps out, as he's generally given a relatively large room for error as the field is spread open.

I really can't wait till his draft stock plummets like I'm predicting before the draft (if he declares for this year). Then when he does nothing in the NFL, I remind you about what I said

FinaticalOne
12-23-2005, 08:55 AM

We will NEVER get a first round pick for Ricky. The best we can get for Ricky is a third round; and that is a bit of a stretch.

Fran2fin
12-23-2005, 11:16 AM

QB - Jay Cutler - Vandy

RB - P.J. Daniels - GT; he will run you over as many know, but what many underestimate is he ability to juke u out of your shoes; although he's not built like Steven Jackson at all, he reminds me of him with his combination of power and quick feet; i think this guy will surprise many in the NFL (EDIT: I'm not saying Steven Jackson and PJ Daniels run similarly, cause IMO they're far from similar in terms of running style. just saying they're both somewhat unique with their combination of power and quick feet)

CB/S - Jason Allen

Underclassmen:

Overrated Players:

Jacobs falls into the category of Timmy Chang, BJ Symons, Josh Harris (former Bowling Green QB), etc. All these guys were extremely effective college QB's b/c of their system who lacked NFL ability. In fact, do u guys remember 6'3, 238 lb. Josh Harris from a few years ago? remember how high some people were on this kid? His Sr year he threw for over 3,800 yds, rushed for 830 yds, completed 66% of his passes, 27 TD's and 12 ints. He was a late-rd draft pick. Now, quietly, he is out of the NFL.

Watched him play twice in rainy bad weather, but was not impressed, would like to see him play in decent weather.

gish
12-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Don't hate on Omar. I like Omar Jacobs, I've actually seen him play, unlike most of you hatewaggoners. He puts great touch on his passes, he is very mobile, and he DOES have good arm strength.

He is ranked above your BELOVED Cutler everywhere I look.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/qb.html

http://www.draftconnection.com/nfl/players/quarterbacks.php

and the half the sites with Cutler @ the #2 QB spot don't have Jacobs in their rankings because he hasnt declared yet. And we all know he will because of the high demand this year.

kastofsna120
12-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Don't hate on Omar. I like Omar Jacobs, I've actually seen him play, unlike most of you hatewaggoners. He puts great touch on his passes, he is very mobile, and he DOES have good arm strength.

and the half the sites with Cutler @ the #2 QB spot don't have Jacobs in their rankings because he hasnt declared yet. And we all know he will because of the high demand this year.
those are old rankings. if jacobs declares he'll be ranked MUCH lower than cutler

saves
12-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Please shut up and don't tell me if i've seen him play more than once or not. I wouldn't make a post like that on a player I've only seen play once. This year I've seen him against Wisconsin, Miami (OH), and Boise St and last year I saw him in his bowl game against Memphis and against Oklahoma to start the year off, not to mention all the other countless clips and parts of games I've watched him in.

Listen...Jacobs' stats are impressive without question. Many others have put up amazing numbers in similar offenses, but not quite as good as Jacobs's, and I'll give him that. But, in judging his actual play on the field and not completely by his inflated statistics, he comes no where close to matching his hype that people like you create. I've already stated why I believe this. and btw, in addition to the Wisconsin game and Boise St game where he was unimpressive, his stats made his game against Memphis last year look better than he really played. The 5 TD's in that game jumps out at u on the stat line, but what about his 18 incompleteions. A lot of time with Jacobs, in that game I remember as well, he wont hit his WR in stride, but he'll still make the completion, so it won't look as bad. and thata's where the system he's in helps out, as he's generally given a relatively large room for error as the field is spread open.

I really can't wait till his draft stock plummets like I'm predicting before the draft (if he declares for this year). Then when he does nothing in the NFL, I remind you about what I said

So you say you saw him against Wisconsin which he played a great game and showed his potential on a national stage against a superior opponent.The Miami game was his first game back from a separated shoulder and he was a late decision for even that game, and he didn't play spectacular but solid enough to blow out the Redhawks. Some how you managed to see the Oklahoma game which wasn't even televised and I really doubt you bought college gameplan just to watch Bowling Green games so I'm not too sure about that one my man.

Then your going to knock him for throwing 18 incompletions against a tough Memphis team where BG's strategy was to be as agressive as possible and keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams hands. I guess throwing 5 td's isn't enough for some people, and I can't recall any of thm being goaline passes, because the team typically runs in the redzone.

He dosn't hit his recievers in stride. The offense is created to find holes in the zone and use Omar's accuracy to put it there. He is not supposed to be hitting them in stride, but instead where they can make the completion and get the first down. The places he is thowing the ball on crossing routes and such, if you don't put the ball in the recievers body you're hanging them out to get layed out. On playes such as seams and fades he puts the ball right on them in stride, its the crossing routes he throws into their body. It is not like his amazing WR core is hauling in all these horirble passes and making him look great, he throws a catchable ball every time.

I think his draft stock already dropped as much as it will because of this seasons injuries and what have you. The only place it can go would be up. Again, I'm not toting him to be the next Marino or anything like that, but the points you make against him are invalid and are just helping to misinform people that have not seen him about a great football player. He was raved about as a possible 1st rounder this year for a reason, and even though he hit some speedbumps he has the potential that some NFL GM is going to jump all over.

Oh yea, if he does get drafted on the first day and prove he can be effective in this leauge, I'll remind you what I said, and have been saying for well over a year.

Alex44
12-23-2005, 01:58 PM

I like Jacobs, I dont see him often but when I do he looks pretty good

and while I agree that a spread offense does inflate your yards and TD's

It also gives you more chances to throw INT's which he doesnt do, so people need to come up with better excuses than the offense they run

that said he probally will not go before cutler

kastofsna120
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
how does it give him "more chance" to throw interceptions? 5 eligible receivers against 4 DBs gives you a better chance to NOT throw a pick actually

Alex44
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
how does it give him "more chance" to throw interceptions? 5 eligible receivers against 4 DBs gives you a better chance to NOT throw a pick actually

More throws = More chances to make a bad read or throw a bad ball

saves
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM

I'd say they run 5 wide recievers a small fraction of the time. They use alot of TE and two back sets actually. I'd knock the system because they spend the majority of the time in shotgun, not because they use multiple recievers.

killswitch
12-23-2005, 07:32 PM

I will bet anything (literally) that Cutler is drafted before Jacobs. There is absolutely no question about it. Let's just wait till the draft. And can u Jacobs-lovers stop using the excuse that all the Jacobs-haters haven't really watched him play? How ignorant can u guys be to tell me I haven't watched him play. :rolleyes:

killswitch
12-23-2005, 08:49 PM
So you say you saw him against Wisconsin which he played a great game and showed his potential on a national stage against a superior opponent.The Miami game was his first game back from a separated shoulder and he was a late decision for even that game, and he didn't play spectacular but solid enough to blow out the Redhawks. Some how you managed to see the Oklahoma game which wasn't even televised and I really doubt you bought college gameplan just to watch Bowling Green games so I'm not too sure about that one my man.
u're really starting to piss me off. Listen, I'm a student Georgia Tech. Last year, me and both my current roomates now (but not at the time), were rushing with this fraternity (which they are now brothers in, not me though)where they get gameplan every year (and all the other college packages). If you remember correctly BG competed pretty well with Oklahoma the first half and made it look like a good game. Then Oklahoma pulled away and Jacobs got a couple of his TD's in garbage time i think. In fact since GT was playing a small-*** sh*tty team that day, I didn't even go to the game. Just sat at the frat house and watched all the other games (on 3 TV's). I'd say I saw about 80% of the BG-Oklahoma (including most all of the game when it was close up untill later in the 3rd quater or something.) Jacobs held his own. At the time I didn't know how highly touted of a prospect he would come to be, but I thought he looked alright for a "small-school" QB, nothing real special though. And I'm not addressing any other comments on whether or not I've watched him, this is ridiculous.

Then your going to knock him for throwing 18 incompletions against a tough Memphis team where BG's strategy was to be as agressive as possible and keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams hands. I guess throwing 5 td's isn't enough for some people, and I can't recall any of thm being goaline passes, because the team typically runs in the redzone..
A tough Memphis D? lol, they game up over 30 points a game last year. Maybe you meant to refer to the other side of the ball for Memphis. Anyway, yeah, your right, throwing td's isn't enough for some people. Timmy Chang was only 4 TD's short of the NCAA record. Where's he now? The TD's on the stat line that Jacobs threw really dont mean much; it's how he played. and I really believe that he played an alright game; he did a good job of doing his role in the offense. He missed some throws and he made some throws, and overall he played solid. Did he look like a potential first-day pick. IMO, NO he didn't. His stats made him look like a first-day pick, but not his play.

And, please, stop pulling stuff out of your a$$, how do you reckon that BG's plan was to be as aggresive as possible on offense to keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams' hands. If their main priority was to keep the ball out of Williams' hands (which is a rash assumption anyway), theoretically they wouldv'e played ball control on offense, and not thrown the ball over 40 times. But that's beside the point anyway.

He dosn't hit his recievers in stride. The offense is created to find holes in the zone and use Omar's accuracy to put it there. He is not supposed to be hitting them in stride, but instead where they can make the completion and get the first down. The places he is thowing the ball on crossing routes and such, if you don't put the ball in the recievers body you're hanging them out to get layed out. On playes such as seams and fades he puts the ball right on them in stride, its the crossing routes he throws into their body. It is not like his amazing WR core is hauling in all these horirble passes and making him look great, he throws a catchable ball every time.

I think his draft stock already dropped as much as it will because of this seasons injuries and what have you. The only place it can go would be up. Again, I'm not toting him to be the next Marino or anything like that, but the points you make against him are invalid and are just helping to misinform people that have not seen him about a great football player. He was raved about as a possible 1st rounder this year for a reason, and even though he hit some speedbumps he has the potential that some NFL GM is going to jump all over.

Oh yea, if he does get drafted on the first day and prove he can be effective in this leauge, I'll remind you what I said, and have been saying for well over a year.
as far as I'm concerned, from what I've seen, his accuracy and timing is extremely overrated compared to what I've read and heard about him. And, do u still not believe that Bowling Green's spread offense generallly opens up the field more and makes the passing game relatively more manageable for a QB? The necessities of accurate passes and perfect timing are reduced in a spread offense, so in essence the QB's job is not as meticulous. BTW, I see your from Ohio... might there be some bias toward Omar?

fins5423
12-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Omar Jacobs is very accurate and very smart, but he has a totally different throwing motion that scouts dont like to see. Hes also part of a weird offence at Bowling Green. I dont beileve he will be a starter in the NFL, and he'll probably be a 3rd/4th round if he goes into the draft this year.

saves
12-24-2005, 02:43 AM
[QUOTE=killswitch]u're really starting to piss me off. Listen, I'm a student Georgia Tech. Last year, me and both my current roomates now (but not at the time), were rushing with this fraternity (which they are now brothers in, not me though)where they get gameplan every year (and all the other college packages). If you remember correctly BG competed pretty well with Oklahoma the first half and made it look like a good game. Then Oklahoma pulled away and Jacobs got a couple of his TD's in garbage time i think. In fact since GT was playing a small-*** sh*tty team that day, I didn't even go to the game. Just sat at the frat house and watched all the other games (on 3 TV's). I'd say I saw about 80% of the BG-Oklahoma (including most all of the game when it was close up untill later in the 3rd quater or something.) Jacobs held his own. At the time I didn't know how highly touted of a prospect he would come to be, but I thought he looked alright for a "small-school" QB, nothing real special though. And I'm not addressing any other comments on whether or not I've watched him, this is ridiculous.

I'm impressed with the fact that you saw that game. It was Omar's first start (as a sophomore) and I feel he held his own against one of the strongest defense's in the country. 2td's and 0 picks for your first time on the big stage is impressive

A tough Memphis D? lol, they game up over 30 points a game last year. Maybe you meant to refer to the other side of the ball for Memphis. Anyway, yeah, your right, throwing td's isn't enough for some people. Timmy Chang was only 4 TD's short of the NCAA record. Where's he now? The TD's on the stat line that Jacobs threw really dont mean much; it's how he played. and I really believe that he played an alright game; he did a good job of doing his role in the offense. He missed some throws and he made some throws, and overall he played solid. Did he look like a potential first-day pick. IMO, NO he didn't. His stats made him look like a first-day pick, but not his play.

And, please, stop pulling stuff out of your a$, how do you reckon that BG's plan was to be as aggresive as possible on offense to keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams' hands. If their main priority was to keep the ball out of Williams' hands (which is a rash assumption anyway), theoretically they wouldv'e played ball control on offense, and not thrown the ball over 40 times. But that's beside the point anyway.

I didn't say their defense was tough but they had a decent team and it made for a big bowl matchup for them, considering the schools are of similar recuiting levels. They do run a 3-3-5 defense which was getting some decent pressure on Omar thought the game. And please don't bring up Timmy Chang, all those TD's and also the record in INT's. Omar threw 4 his first year and like 8 this year, they are not in the same leauge.

And the offensive strategy was apparent, they onside kicked, attempted fake punts, and played agressive the entire game to take Memphis's running game to a minimum. Why in hell would they play ball control on offense, that would be playing right into Memphis's strenght, in a game of ball control they win.

as far as I'm concerned, from what I've seen, his accuracy and timing is extremely overrated compared to what I've read and heard about him. And, do u still not believe that Bowling Green's spread offense generallly opens up the field more and makes the passing game relatively more manageable for a QB? The necessities of accurate passes and perfect timing are reduced in a spread offense, so in essence the QB's job is not as meticulous. BTW, I see your from Ohio... might there be some bias toward Omar?

His strength is his accuracy, anyone who has seen him play will say that. And when did I say the offenses dosn't open up the field and all that, thats why it is such a successful offense, but theres still a gap between making the the right throw and making a bad throw in it and for the most part Omar has shown a good football mind. It has been shown that a QB can make the transition, so I think that argument is moot.

I do have some bias towards Omar, but I'm not without pointing out his faults. I've seen nearly ever start he has made and have seen him play damn good football. Still I believe he has first round talent but didn't have a first round season. I don't want to be the one running around saying the dolphins should have him number 1 on their wish list but I think some team is going to end up with a fine player, but its a big of a gamble at this point. I do not have a problem with someone evaluation Omar with a statement such as " he has tools and potential, but is a gambel" but to discount him completely such as you have is plain wrong. There was a buzz about him for a reason, he has produced.

Caps
01-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Omar Jacobs will be in the draft this year. (http://bgsufalcons.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010606aab.html) I know a lot of people on this board(myself included) were really high on him early in the year before he got hurt and had a disappointing season. I think we now have better options to find our future QB, but he is a local guy and he could possibly be there in the second round and lower. I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd or 3rd on him if Cutler or someone doesn't fall to us in the 1st.

daniel3
01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Omar Jacobs would be fine, but is he a start immediately type or would he require a year or two of conditioning?

HysterikiLL
01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
"Jacobs received a fourth-round grade from the NFL's draft advisory committee, and believes his athletic ability will be on display at the NFL scouting combine and will help his stock rise."

I'd take him in the 4th

ether79
01-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Omar Jacobs would be fine, but is he a start immediately type or would he require a year or two of conditioning?

Couple of years sitting and coaching.

Caps
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM

I think he would need about a full year on the bench to fix his mechanics and adjust to the extreme jump in talent from the MAC to the pros.

ih8brady
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
4th round? Man, his stock has dropped but I'd still be happy to get him. In the long run, I still can see him as an answer to our QB woes. All we would possibly need then was another stopgap to backup or compete ag Gus.

ih8brady
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I think he would need about a full year on the bench to fix his mechanics and adjust to the extreme jump in talent from the MAC to the pros.

some QBs shouldnt be thrown into starting right away. It hurt Cade McNown's confidence and Alex Smith did poorly under pressure(though he could still turn out well).

saves
01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
He would need a year or so to sit. He has all the tools, if I'm Saban I don't worry about his footwork or mechanics at all, I worry about if he can handle a pro offense, make sure he can handle an NFL playbook.
He dosn't stare recievers down, dosn't make too many bad throws, has a good feel for pressure, and makes some really good plays. But he definatly isn't a quick fix, he needs to learn and develop, but this guy has first round talent, and would have been if he didn't get hurt and have a very dissapointing game against Boise State on ESPN. A buddy of mine that knows him well told me that he was going through some personal problems the first few weeks of school, and they were really affecting his play.

I've seen him play nearly every start he has made, and the majority of them live. Hell I lived the floor above the guy last year and he spent alot of time playing Madden in the guy across the hall from me room. Nice guy, pretty quiet though. I'll give you guys a full writeup of my opinion of him when I get a chance in the next few days. I'll try to be as non-bias as possible, because I've noticed flaws in his game I can point out. But for right now, I'd say this guy could be a major steal in the 3rd-4th round, and might be perfect for a Linehan style offense.

Retnuhrace
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I'd take him in the 2nd round, despite him having a down year... but he plays in a system at BG that is similar to Linehan's down here.

FinAtic8480
01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
:evil: NCAA | O. Jacobs to declare for NFL Draft
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:18:12 -0800

ESPNews reports Bowling Green junior QB <A href="http://www.kffl.com/player/13502/nfl">Omar Jacobs will declare for the 2006 NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159).

Pocoloco
01-06-2006, 08:28 PM
wow, I for one would not mind grabbing Omar in the 3rd if we miss out on Cutler. It would probably take the same amount of time to develop him.

Jimmy James
01-06-2006, 08:29 PM
There for a second, I was worried you were talking about Marcus Vick. I guess he hasn't officially declared yet, though.

Prime
01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
There for a second, I was worried you were talking about Marcus Vick. I guess he hasn't officially declared yet, though.

After what happened to Vick today, I wouldn't be suprised to see go ahead and entering this year's draft. Although I really don't think that he will be drafted high at all.

Jacobs won't be a high draft pick because he hasn't played that well this season and that really made his draft stock low. It would be nice to draft him in the 3rd or 4th round because he seems like a QB that could fit in with the offense.

weisdolphins
01-06-2006, 08:58 PM
If 25 passing touch downs and 9 interceptions is a disappointing season than gus frerotte had a horrible season

madmike
01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
He will be a draft bust if you take him in rd 1-3. did not impress me plus did not play top competition.

saves
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
If 25 passing touch downs and 9 interceptions is a disappointing season than gus frerotte had a horrible season
His first year starting he went 41-4. 25-9 is pale in comparison, but he didn't play a few games that would have really boosted his numbers.

SCall13
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
He has some potential. But do we really want a guy who could take 3 or 4 years to develop before he could start (if ever). I feel like Saban is wanting someone who can step in in two years or less. I don't think Jacobs is that guy. Well see.

Motion
01-06-2006, 10:28 PM
He has some potential. But do we really want a guy who could take 3 or 4 years to develop before he could start (if ever). I feel like Saban is wanting someone who can step in in two years or less. I don't think Jacobs is that guy. Well see.

Well said. He's not the answer.

saves
01-06-2006, 11:11 PM
He will be a draft bust if you take him in rd 1-3. did not impress me plus did not play top competition.

So if you take him 4-7 he won't be a bust? Come on thats stupid. He DID play top competion. He should have beat Wisconsin this year, but his team wasn't catching the ball and he played Oklahoma last year when they were ranked 2 for his first start and didn't turn the ball over and put up some decent numbers. He also plays some pretty solid MAC teams that have produced some starting quality pros.

As I said in the other thread about him, I'm going to do a full review of what skills he has and what his flaws are. I've seen him play mucho grande. And please, don't knock the kid till you've seen him play 2-3 games at least. That should be without saying for any prospect. Some of you guys jump to conclusions bassed on assumptions and write ups from other people who are just assuming.

Schleprock
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
And they shall now be resurrected and fill our forum with glory.

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft, let the 5000 threads start about "giving him a shot" :rolleyes:

unifiedtheory
01-06-2006, 11:23 PM

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft, let the 5000 threads start about "giving him a shot" :rolleyes:

Go to the draft forum (where this thread will be moved to in seconds) and you will see the deluge has already begun.

RunningBackGuru
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I would definately take Jacobs in the 3rd round. He would be a good fit in our Offense.

Schleprock
01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Go to the draft forum (where this thread will be moved to in seconds) and you will see the deluge has already begun.
uhhhhh, boy oh boy oh boy..... This is the only section I visit so hopefully they shall all stay there, or...

...God help our blessed souls.

Caps
01-06-2006, 11:33 PM
You don't want to see any Omar Jacobs threads, yet you start one yourself?

Schleprock
01-06-2006, 11:36 PM
You don't want to see any Omar Jacobs threads, yet you start one yourself?
there's always one "too cool" guy in the bunch :rolleyes:

If you don't like the fact my post is ironic, why did you reply? Two can place this game.... :rolleyes:

Caps
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
there's always one "too cool" guy in the bunch :rolleyes:

If you don't like the fact my post is ironic, why did you reply? Two can place this game.... :rolleyes:

I just don't get the point of starting an Omar Jacobs thread when you don't want to talk about him. What's the purpose of the thread? You want to talk about how everyone should shut up about him? Nobody even started any threads on him in the Dolphins forum, you're the first.

Dors156
01-06-2006, 11:44 PM
hey at least its not another lets trade for a back up QB thread.:sidelol:

Eric-Honduras
01-06-2006, 11:52 PM

ok so you start a thread on Omar... :confused: wtf

RunningBackGuru
01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
uhhhhh, boy oh boy oh boy..... This is the only section I visit so hopefully they shall all stay there, or...

...God help our blessed souls.

Even if they are posted here, they will be moved.

Dors156
01-07-2006, 12:00 AM
i would draft him in the third.he has done very well in his collegiate carreer.people say he is in a weak division but hey big ben came out of that same division.ill need to see him in the combine

305finforlife
01-07-2006, 12:01 AM
with marcus vick possibly coming out and jacobs now in the draft i believe this will keep QUinn at ND, I have always wanted Jacobs if i couldnt get Young, He is a big, strong arm pocket passing QB that can run if need be for the first down that has a 2nd gear in the open field. He will fit well into our system and there is not need for trading for Dante as some threads talked about we can draft our own and groom him for our system

daniel3
01-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Something tells me he won't be available in the third and some of you might be underestimating his value quite a bit.

madmike
01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
So if you take him 4-7 he won't be a bust? Come on thats stupid. He DID play top competion. He should have beat Wisconsin this year, but his team wasn't catching the ball and he played Oklahoma last year when they were ranked 2 for his first start and didn't turn the ball over and put up some decent numbers. He also plays some pretty solid MAC teams that have produced some starting quality pros.

As I said in the other thread about him, I'm going to do a full review of what skills he has and what his flaws are. I've seen him play mucho grande. And please, don't knock the kid till you've seen him play 2-3 games at least. That should be without saying for any prospect. Some of you guys jump to conclusions bassed on assumptions and write ups from other people who are just assuming.first of all no need to call anybody stupid,{thats real mature} 2nd of all more than 50% of most QB's really don't succeed,3rd i don't believe in any of the write ups that much cause there called OPINIONS,4th,if u draft somebody after the 3rd round most chances are if u already have a good team he is not going to immediately start for your team unless u find a diamond in the rough.by the way solid mac teams are nothing compared to the nfl. i'm not much a betting man but i will save your comments and when somebody does draft him high in the early rounds and doesn't succeed i send you a message{i told you so}.:cry:

fishypete
01-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I would tend to believe that Jacobs would be more of a QB that Mueller would be looking for....he has size...a very good arm....and is mobile. As it stands now...he should be a late 2nd to 3rd round selection....which again is in the area Mueller likes to use for QB's. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is selected by the Dolphins....it's more likely than Leinart, Young or Cutler.

saves
01-07-2006, 01:03 AM
first of all no need to call anybody stupid,{thats real mature} 2nd of all more than 50% of most QB's really don't succeed,3rd i don't believe in any of the write ups that much cause there called OPINIONS,4th,if u draft somebody after the 3rd round most chances are if u already have a good team he is not going to immediately start for your team unless u find a diamond in the rough.by the way solid mac teams are nothing compared to the nfl. i'm not much a betting man but i will save your comments and when somebody does draft him high in the early rounds and doesn't succeed i send you a message{i told you so}.:cry:

okay. where to start on you

1. I didn't call anyone stupid. But the comment mentioned was. It dosn't make any sense.
2.Where are you going with all this QB not succeeding stuff? Did I ever once say he was a lock or a blue chip prospect? Did I do anything but offer a differnt opinion than the one posted? Okay then.
3.Did I say he was going to immediately start? In the other thread about him I said he would need time to learn the NFL game. What your saying there I don't get either.
4.Solid SEC teams are nothing compared to the NFL as well. It is still competitive football though.
5.Save my comments, look them over, and realize this whole post you made makes no sense in relevence to what I said. Did I say draft him high? Did I say that he was guarenteed stardom? When you seek me out to send me a "I told you so" I'll respond with a quick "what the hell are you talking about"

saves
01-07-2006, 01:21 AM

Schleprock (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/member.php?u=6595) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1924788", true);
Ohhhh boy, can't wait for the Dolphins - Jacobs threads

Seems like the know it all's don't approve of disscussing this prospect. They must know more than the NFL advisory group, scouts, and the GM's of most teams. If he gets drafted it will be an atrocity. This thread should be closed ASAP!

Motion
01-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Seems like the know it all's don't approve of disscussing this prospect. They must know more than the NFL advisory group, scouts, and the GM's of most teams. If he gets drafted it will be an atrocity. This thread should be closed ASAP!

And there opinion is?

saves
01-07-2006, 02:16 AM
And there opinion is?

Well the NFL right now says he is a 4th round pick grade pre workouts, which obviously means the powers of the leauge believe that he is a player worth being drafted fairly high. Somehow there are people that believe he is the next timmy chang, and dosn't deserve to be drafted or discussed.

Motion
01-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Well the NFL right now says he is a 4th round pick grade pre workouts, which obviously means the powers of the leauge believe that he is a player worth being drafted fairly high. Somehow there are people that believe he is the next timmy chang, and dosn't deserve to be drafted or discussed.

I'd say thats a fair grade as of now. I definitely don't see the Chang comparisons. I'm sure he'll be drafted but he does need quite a bit of polishing.

Martel
01-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I think Omar maybe should stayed in school. 4th round? Come on Omar! Go back to school and make a darkhorse Heisman push!!

Flying Pencil
01-07-2006, 05:19 AM
I think Omar maybe should stayed in school. 4th round? Come on Omar! Go back to school and make a darkhorse Heisman push!!

With whom? Seniors caught 20 of the school's 29 passing TDs and ran for 15 of the school's 19 rushing TDs (Jacobs also ran for one). These same players and 2004's outgoing seniors caught all 41 of his TD passes last year and ran for 17 of the school's 23 rushing TDs (Jacobs had 4, and I don't see the players responsible for the other two on this year's roster).

There's nothing left to which to go back.

NorFlaFin
01-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Rd 4? Go back to school and get a degree.

Kadiddlehopper
01-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Jet's fans are hoping they get him.

saves
01-07-2006, 12:08 PM

I can't totally disagree with you there. But he IS losing his two best recievers and two best RB's, and there is also a young, highly recruited QB nipping at his heels. I'm sure it was a had decision, but the guy has been a class at during his tenure and I'm sure it will turn out to be the right decision. Here is a transcript of his press conference is anyone cares to check it out. http://bgsufalcons.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010606aae.html

saves
01-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I have had the privilege of being able to see one of the most effective college passers in recent times first hand these past two years. No one has ever thrown as many TD’s as he did in the 2004 season while throwing that few INT’s. He has the size (6’4 225), a strong, accurate arm, and has shown the ability to get the ball to the open man while avoiding turn-overs (67TD’s-11INT’s). In addition to that he has decent speed and the athletic ability to avoid being hit, and has proven to be an effective runner when need be. Had he continued his sophomore success to his junior season, he would have been a first round lock, but a disappointing season that included injury to his non-throwing shoulder, a team breakdown on national television, and personal issues, have left many with an negative opinion of him that overshadows one of the greatest seasons ever by a quarterback in college. While his game is not without flaws, the strengths he has leads me to believe that he could be a definite bargain in the third round or later, and he could validly be a player to fit in this system.

Pros:
-He has the size to stand tall and a frame that could add a lot more weight in the future.

-He has an NFL caliber arm. Has exhibited the ability to make all types of throws. He throws intermediate routes with velocity and has improved his deep ball immensely. He also has a very quick release and can “thread the needle”.

-Has shown good pocket awareness. Can effectively scramble outside the pocket and buy himself time. When he is pressured he does not try to force a play, instead throwing the ball away. He takes pride in not committing turnovers. He exhibits a lot of composure in this aspect of play. I would consider this his greatest asset.

-Can carry the ball well. He has above average speed for a quarterback and can pick up tough yards by running. He has been able to effectively run the option.

-He goes through his progressions well. He looks from primary target to his secondary target and so on in an almost mechanical fashion.

-Puts the ball in a spot so his receiver can make plays. He trusts his receivers on the field and does not hesitate to let one of his guys go up and get it. I think this is a quality that could translate well into an offense similar to ours. He will not think twice about giving Chambers the chance to make that back of the endzone catch, and it has proven to be one of his biggest weapons.

Cons:
-Reluctant to run the ball. Many situations have happened where everyone was covered downfield and Omar rolls out and does not run for the 1st, preferring to wait for a receiver to get separation. In many occasions he has been able to find an open receiver, but there have been many where he has not and a punt ensued. He needs to learn to just tuck the ball and take the easy 1st down, as moving the chain doesn’t always have to be pretty.

-Leadership abilities are suspect. He has a quiet personality and it shows on the field. He is not a rah rah type of player, rather one that wants to go out and take care of business. I would like to see him be more assertive vocally, but in his defense his players have still rallied around him as their leader in college, so he must be doing something right.

-Of course, his mechanics and footwork are one of his biggest knocks. I’m not at all worried about his delivery; it is lighting fast, comes out high because of his height, and gets the ball where it needs to be. I can’t recall many of his passes being knocked down at the line. He does need to work on his footwork because he has a tendency to throw the ball unbalanced when under pressure.

- He plays in a QB friendly offense. He was able to line up in shotgun formation and the offensive coordinator would signal in the play from the sideline after the defense was set. He has played under center some, but the great majority of snaps came from shotgun. As for the coordinators signaling in the plays, I do not know if Omar could handle calling the plays on his own or not, but the offense has always been run this way under the current coaching staff (not the best mind you), and it is not fair to assume that he isn’t intelligent enough to handle audibles and such on his own. But If I’m a GM I take a good look at his ability to do this.

-Tends to throw crossing routes high. On deep ins and similar routes he has a tendency to make his receivers extend for the ball. Always cacheable passes, but it is something that I always notice. He also tends to throw the ball right into the receivers body rather than leading him, which sometimes is a good thing and sometimes it decreases the chances of a good run after the catch.

- Hes from Florida, but was a BILLS FAN growing up

I also don’t believe his TD numbers are as inflated as some may believe. They don’t throw the ball in the red zone as much as many believe, and actually have a pretty balanced spread offense. His best RB had over 1000 yards and 15 rushing TD’s in his record setting 2004 year, and he had split carries with a few others.

I don’t think at all that Jacobs is a lock for success in the NFL. I do believe he has all the physical talents that NFL scouts work for and that is the main thing that sets him apart from other high number spread offense QB’s that couldn’t succeed in the pro game. If our FO determines that he has the intelligence and instincts to work with and develop, he can be a star. He is a humble guy with a strong drive to be the best. How do I know this? I spent last year having him be a common sight directly across the hall, playing Madden with his friend.

If anyone who hasn’t seen him play much has any questions about things I’ve noticed feel free to ask. If there are negatives about his game you noticed bring those up too, I’m sure there’s some I missed. But for all the quick and unsupported replies, please save them for another thread. I spent some time here trying to be as un-biased as possible about the one prospect I know more about than anyone else in this draft. I know most of you are level headed, intelligent posters that enjoy some good football debate/talk, so I don't think I should have to worry much. Thanks.

Here is his radio press conference

www.bgrso.org (http://www.bgrso.org/)

saves
01-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I can't quite agree with it all, but its mostly positive.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?draftyear=2006&univLogin02=stateChanged (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?draftyear=2006&univLogin02=stateChanged)

Omar Jacobs
QB | (6'3", 224) | BOWLING GREEN

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: Possesses ideal NFL measurables. He has great size. Is tall, well-built, long arms and big hands. He has good arm strength. He shows good touch and the ability to change velocities. He throws catchable passes underneath and has a feel for leading his receivers. Extremely accurate in short-to-intermediate range. Lacks vertical passing experience but has the arm to make all the NFL throws. Can drive the ball downfield. Shows good zip on the deep out route and gets adequate R.P.M.'s on his downfield throws. He's an excellent athlete. Has quick feet and can get set quickly. Shows a good pocket presence and buys a lot of second-chance opportunities with his athleticism. He is a threat to take off and run. Has above average speed and some elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. A confident player that will bounce back from mistakes.

Weaknesses: Displays mechanical issues. Is unpolished. Does not possess great experience throwing the deep ball and his timing must improve in that area. Lacks ideal patience in the pocket at times and will take off running too early. Plays in a simplified offense with a simplified passing scheme. Most of his throws are underneath. He will have a steeper learning curve in terms of making reads and seeing the entire field as an NFL quarterback.

Overall: Played sparingly as a backup to Josh Harris (Browns) in 2003. Took over as a fulltime starter as a sophomore in 2004, when he threw for 4,002 yards and rushed for 300 more. He completed 66.9-percent of his 462 passing attempts and threw 46 TD passes compared to just four INT's on the season. Jacobs is a junior in 2005 and has not indicated what his intentions are regarding his NFL future. Jacobs has all the physical tools to develop into a starting quarterback at the NFL level. He has great size, as well as good arm strength and mobility. He is an accurate short-to-intermediate passer and has developed into a solid decision-maker. Jacobs will, however, need a lot of work in order to polish his game for the next level. His release point is too low and his consistency as a deep-ball passer needs to improve. He also comes from a pass-friendly, shotgun-oriented offensive scheme, which means he could require more developmental time than other quarterback prospects with similar skill sets. As it stands right now, Jacobs is considered a potential first round prospect should he choose to enter the 2006 draft.

PhinSoldia
01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
hey saves the thing i want to know is he was an early first round pick early on in the season can he creep back into the first in your opinion....because if we dont go cutler in the first i would definately want to take a look at this guy in a MIami Uni if he can be got in the 3rd round

FinNasty
01-07-2006, 03:04 PM
I wouldnt mind taking this guy in the 3rd/4th rounds at all... I have always liked this kid, and while he does have some negatives (mainly mechanics)... he is still a talented player with great size, and worth taking a chance on around the 3rd/4th...

FinNasty
01-07-2006, 03:07 PM
hey saves the thing i want to know is he was an early first round pick early on in the season can he creep back into the first in your opinion....because if we dont go cutler in the first i would definately want to take a look at this guy in a MIami Uni if he can be got in the 3rd round

na... he wont sneek into the 1st. He didnt have a great season, and was also injured. With an outstanding combine though, he might be able to sneek into the lower 2nd...

saves
01-07-2006, 03:07 PM

I don't think so. He won't get a chance to play at the Senior Bowl or in any other game situations, and is banking on his workouts to showcase his athletic ability. I personally think the 3rd round is where he will go unless something drastic happens, and he would be of good value there. It is ashame the team had the year it did, they were getting hype as BCS busters and Omar as a darkhorse Heisman canidate. The Boise State game was really the dagger in those aspects.
If Cutler really asserts himself as the real deal during the senior bowl and combine, and is there when we pick in round 1, I would be all about drafting him.

wazzy
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I know he was rated really high last year and a lot of people projected him to be in the first round this year but it seems hes fallen off a bit. I understand that but with that said do you see any team still taking him in the first round. I would want to take a third on him and use him as a 1 to 2 year project. My biggest question on him is the playcalling and the shotgun formation do you think it would take him long to adjust so he is familiar playing under centre and he can call his own plays?

PhinSoldia
01-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I know he was rated really high last year and a lot of people projected him to be in the first round this year but it seems hes fallen off a bit. I understand that but with that said do you see any team still taking him in the first round. I would want to take a third on him and use him as a 1 to 2 year project. My biggest question on him is the playcalling and the shotgun formation do you think it would take him long to adjust so he is familiar playing under centre and he can call his own plays?

Gus Calls his own Plays?

Pocoloco
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
If we miss out on Cutler, this is definately the guy we need to take. Drew Olson and Brodie Croyle are not nearly as impressive

saves
01-07-2006, 03:14 PM

See thats one of the things I just don't know. The way BG's offense is run, the coaches pretty much take a look at the defense and call in in from the sidelines after everything is set. He never really had the opportunity, or needed to, call his own plays or audible. I think he is one of those guys that need a strong coach to make the most of his talents. Teach him what to do, and he will do it, but don't expect him to be Dan Marino out there. I see someone like Linehan doing wonders with him, exactly like he turned the physical specimen Cullpepper, who had a similar deal in college, into a franchise QB

Dors156
01-07-2006, 03:16 PM
he wouldnt look bad in a fins uni at all.i would love to take this guy:dolphins:hes better than cutler in my mind

studsatele
01-07-2006, 03:56 PM
hows his descion makin? is he cool and calm?

saves
01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
hows his descion makin? is he cool and calm?
Cool and calm is his MO. His decision making is good, but he tends to trust his recievers too much, for example its 3rd-10, no one is open in his first two deep reads he will throw it to a guy coming across the field at 5 yards hoping he can pick it up.

Also versue Boise State the Broncos defense was absolutley smothering the BG wide recivers. It was almost like they knew the play call. He seemed real uncomfortable with no one to throw too and should have ran more, but tried to force throws. It was very uncharacteristic of him, but I have to mention it. He needs to learn to tuck it and run.

Overall though, he is not going to turn the ball over much. He knows when to throw it away when he has too.

ryoung8918
01-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the effort, very nice write-up.:up:

In the 3rd, this would be the kind of guy to take a shot on. If Miami went this route, they'd need to get a vet signed for a 2-3 year stint. It would be important to not rush a guy like Jacobs into action but to spend the time necessary to coach him up.

I'm glad Mueller is on board here now. He's shown the ability to spot developmental guys that will go in the 3rd-6th rounds. If Jacobs is one of those, he should be able to spot it.

DParks
01-08-2006, 12:25 AM
i wonder dolphin brothers , which would u take , because i'm sure cutler will be gone by the time we pick , i would go with jacobs how bout u:driveby: :dj:

Caps
01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
If I had to choose between those three, Jacobs.

elite14eva
01-08-2006, 12:28 AM
shockley

Schleprock
01-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Darrell Hackney. Anyone who has actually watched all three knows he has the best chance at actually succeeding in the NFL. Good size, good arm, good mobility, good leader, has played against good competition, makes good decisions, plays in a "normal" offense. I would compare him to a McNabb as far as size and arm.

Raekwon The Che
01-08-2006, 12:38 AM
I'd take the project of Jacobs :o

LoneWulF
01-08-2006, 12:41 AM
jacobs first, shockley last. too small

DParks
01-08-2006, 12:57 AM
thanks fin brothers

pigskinguy
01-08-2006, 01:55 AM
i wonder dolphin brothers , which would u take , because i'm sure cutler will be gone by the time we pick , i would go with jacobs how bout u:driveby: :dj:

None of the above.

beejay05
01-08-2006, 02:16 AM
I dislike Jacobs because i hear he is not much of a leader, and at QB i am a firm believer you need a leader, not just a talented player. I would take shockley, but real late, like in the 5th and with no realistic hope of him being a starter. I dont know much about hackney so i am not going to comment. I Kinda want Croyle if i have to chose among the second teir qb's. He is a leader, has a strong arm, and has experience.

Danny
01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Call me crazy but I'd take a chance on Josh Betts.He's got the arm and he can move ot there too.The thing with him is that he takes some chances and can trow into coverage sometimes but with good coaching he could be the deep passer that Nick and Linehan would want.

Ozzy rules!!

phins1381
01-08-2006, 02:47 AM
shockey is the right guy for the job..to small...??? didnt they say that about fran tarketon of the viks and look how he turned out....

OurHeartAndSoul
01-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Amazing they're all black.

Dors156
01-08-2006, 10:52 AM
jacobs but if hes not there definatly shokly

saves
01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
:spider:

Alex44
01-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I think he will be one of the best QB's in the draft

But he may be a project that teams need to be patient with

He has amazing arm strength and accuracy but doesnt always make the right read, which can be fixed, and his mechanics are decent but have a long way to go

I want us to draft him in round 2 or 3

Caps
01-08-2006, 12:25 PM
- Hes from Florida, but was a BILLS FAN growing up

WHAT!?!?!?

dm416
01-08-2006, 01:05 PM
None of the above.

Same here.

fishypete
01-08-2006, 01:46 PM
He's more of a Mueller type of QB...than Cutler would be....and the Dolphins could get him in the late 2nd or early third round....saving their first round pick for other needs.

fishypete
01-08-2006, 01:47 PM
From NFL Draftscout.com

Overview

Omar is the prototype quarterback; blessed with the exceptional quickness of a tailback, the strength and size of a linebacker and the field intelligence of a player much older than his birth certificate indicates. He is one of the most accurate long-range passers in the game, but also shows impressive touch on his short throws. Few passers have the scrambling ability that Jacobs displayed. He is a consummate team player who takes losses personally, but in his short time at the helm, he shows tremendous poise in the pocket.

Jacobs was a standout quarterback at Atlantic Community High School. He was named the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel and Boca News Offensive Player of the Year, adding Palm Beach County Amateur Athlete of the Year honors. Omar was a second-team All-Florida pick, who also earned firs- team All-Conference and All-County accolades. He was named to the "Super 11 Squad" after he threw for 2,670 yards, completed 63 percent of his passes and connected on 28 touchdowns as a senior. He also gained more than 1,000 yards passing during the playoffs that year, helping the team to a regional championship.

Omar also lettered in basketball and baseball. He was a first-team All-County and All-Conference performer in baseball. He also excelled academically, being named to the Vocational National Honor Society and also was the Rotary Student of the Month in 2001.

How Omar escaped the grasp of the Florida powerhouse colleges like Florida State, Florida and Miami is anyone's guess. But, the Bowling Green staff has been ecstatic over his performance since replacing Josh Harris in the starting lineup. He redshirted in 2002 and then saw limited action in four games during the 2003 campaign. He showed enough flashes of brilliance in the Eastern Kentucky and Liberty games that year to convince the coaches he would be a capable replacement for Harris in 2004.

What they got instead were an athlete that not only surpassed all expectations, but a player who would go on to shatter numerous school and Mid-American Conference records. Omar led the nation with 41 touchdown passes, breaking the old school record of 27 by Josh Harris in 2003 and the MAC mark of 39 by Marshall's Chad Pennington in 1999. He hit on 309 of 462 passes (school record 66.9%) for 4,002 yards and only four interceptions. He added 300 yards and four scores rushing.

His 45 touchdowns responsible for established a new conference season record. His 165.47 passing efficiency rating ranked third in the nation. His touchdown-to-interception ratio (41-4) was the best ever in a season by an NCAA player. He also led the nation in points scored, averaging 22.5 per game.

In just sixteen games with the Falcons, Omar completed 328 of 490 passes (66.9%) for 4,347 yards, 45 touchdowns and only four interceptions. His 66.9 pass completion percentage set a school career-record and ranks second on the MAC record chart behind Bruce Gradkowski (71.4%, 2002-present). His 45 scoring tosses rank fourth in school history while no other Bowling Green starting quarterback has had so few interceptions. He added 389 yards with six scores on 113 carries (3.4 avg) and has accounted for 4,736 yards and 51 touchdowns for the Falcons.

Analysis

Omar is a rifle-armed passer with a solid, thick frame. He has exceptional quickness rolling out of the pocket and the ability to throw on the run. He shows nifty footwork setting up in his pass delivery and shows keen pocket awareness to handle the pass rush well, as he smoothly steps up and away from pressure. He maintains his composure when the pocket is collapsing and will throw the ball away if his targets are covered rather than force the ball into traffic.

When he throws on the run, Oscar shows very good ability to set his feet and the power to throw off-balance. He has a very quick over-the-top release, but also shows accuracy when throwing three-quarters sidearm. He demonstrates very good touch on his long and short throws. Jacobs is very effective at setting up and drifting to throw the screen pass. He has true courage in the pocket and his feet make him a dangerous threat when running with the ball.

He shows no fear upon contact and will not hesitate to throw an aggressive block on the reverse. He is very effective handling the QB draws inside the red zone. He is a solid leader who plays with nice poise. Omar is very effective at reading coverages and then go through his progression to locate his secondary targets. His timing is impeccable when throwing through windows. He has the arm strength to lead his receivers deep and drops the ball in smoothly so they do not have to adjust in their routes. He keeps his eyes fixed downfield and does not lose much accuracy when he has to throw on rollouts.

Jacobs has the footwork to step into his throws and anticipates well his receiver's ability to break into the clear. He is especially effective at throwing the ball into the hole between the cornerback and safety. He carries the ball ear-high and has a compact over-the-top mechanics, finishing his throws with shoulders squared and feet properly set. While he has a very soft touch, his passes also come out tight and he rarely throws at the receiver's numbers.

Omar can break tackles and move the chains efficiently when running with the ball, but needs to hold the ball better, as he leaves it too exposed at times, causing some fumbles when the defender delivers the crunching tackle. His ability to slide away from the rush makes him a player than needs to be accounted for any time he rolls out of the pocket.

While he is still learning the intricacies of the game, it is evident that he possesses outstanding athletic ability, excellent maturity and poise, a cannon for an arm and superb accuracy. While he might not get the publicity he deserves, there is no question that he will develop into a franchise quarterback, if he continues on the path he is taking.

Scouting Report

Positives…Has a tall, muscular frame with room for additional growth…Shows excellent foot quickness in his pass drops to set up and the lateral agility to slide in and out of the pocket…Has a quick over-the-top delivery and throws the ball with a tight circle…Has the upper body strength and velocity to consistently throw the long bomb with touch and accuracy…Shows very good field awareness, making proper read progressions…Keeps his cool under pressure and has a good feel to step up and avoid the pass rush…Has very good accuracy on all throws (short, intermediate, deep)…Gets good placement and throws an easy pass.

Throws perfect fades and has the big arm to lead his receivers deep, doing a nice job of dropping the ball in over his target's shoulders without having to have his receiver adjust in the route…Consistently hits receivers coming out of their cuts…Goes through progression well and can instantly scan the field to find his secondary targets… Very mobile in the pocket, showing the ability to escape pressure while maintaining accuracy throwing on the move…Physical open field runner with the strength to break tackles and the cutting ability to push defenders back on their heels…Confident competitor with very good poise…Keeps his eyes fixed downfield and shows the awareness to move around and find the open lanes…While he can put impressive zip behind his long tosses, he also knows when to take something off his throws, showing very good touch on flares or dropping it in over the top…Has exceptional arm quickness to get the ball through the throwing arc.

Negatives…Consummate team player, but takes it hard when he fails to succeed…Very effective runner, but needs to secure the ball better, as he leaves it exposed on the run, resulting in some costly fumbles…Will generally do a good job of setting up, but when he fails to plant his feet properly, his passes tend to sail some (very rare that this happens).

2005 Season

It is hard to imagine that Omar has been able to accomplish so much in only one year as a starter…In sixteen games, Jacobs earned twelve starting assignments…He completed 328 of 490 passes for 4,347 yards, 45 touchdowns and only four interceptions…His 45 scoring tosses are topped only by Ryan Henry (46, 1992-95), Josh Harris (55, 2000-03) and Brian McClure (63, 1982-85) on the school's career-record list…His 66.9 pass completion percentage set a Bowling Green all-time record, surpassing the previous mark of 63.1% by Brian McClure.

Holds the school record and tied the NCAA Division 1-A season-record in 2004 by attempting 224 consecutive passes without throwing an interception, matching a figure first set by Matt Blundin of Virginia in 1991…Added 389 yards and six scores on 113 carries (3.4 avg)…Has been responsible for 51 touchdowns during his career…His four interceptions are the lowest figure of any starting quarterback in Mid-American Conference history…His 2004 ratio of touchdowns-to-interceptions (41-to-4) established an NCAA Division 1-A season-record.

All-American and All-Mid American Conference first-team preseason selection by The NFL Draft Report…Rated the best offensive player in college football by The Poor Man's Guide to the NFL Draft…Named second-team preseason All-American by The Sporting News...Is on the Preseason Watch List for the 2005 Maxwell Award, given annually to the College Football Player of the Year.

2004 Season

All-American second-team choice by The NFL Draft Report, adding honorable mention from CNN/Sports Illustrated…First-team All-Mid American Conference first-team pick and named MAC Offensive Player of the Year…Led the team to a 9-3 record, as he led the nation and set school and conference season-records with 41 touchdown passes, topping the old school mark of 27 by Josh Harris in 2003 and the MAC mark of 39 by Marshall's Chad Pennington in 1999.

His 41 touchdowns are surpassed by only seven players in the history of NCAA Division 1-A football, ranking behind David Klingler of Houston(54 in 1990), B.J. Symons of Texas Tech (52 in 2003), Jim McMahon of Brigham Young (47 in 1980), Tim Rattay of Louisiana Tech (46 in 1998), Andre Ware of Houston (46 in 1989), Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech (45 in 2002) and David Carr of Fresno State (42 in 2001)…Threw for 4,002 yards on 309 of 462 passes.

His 4,002 yards set a school season-record, topping the previous mark of 3,813 yards by Josh Harris in 2003…He also joined Byron Leftwich of Marshall (4268 in 2002 and 4132 in 2001) as the only players in Mid-American Conference history to throw for over 4,000 yards in a season…His pass completion percentage of 66.9 broke the previous Bowling Green record of 65.8% by Josh Harris in 2003…Ranked third in the nation with a 165.47 passing efficiency rating…Only Chad Pennington of Marshall (171.4 in 1999) and Ben Roethlisberger of Miami of Ohio (165.8 in 2003) had a better passing efficiency rating in a season by a MAC quarterback.

His 4,302 yards in total offense was the 17th-best season total in Division 1-A history and ranks third in MAC annals behind Harris (4643 in 2003) and Roethlisberger (4597 in 2003)…Attempted 224 consecutive passes without an interception, tying the NCAA Division 1-A record first set by Matt Blundin of Virginia in 1991…His four interceptions thrown was the lowest season total by a starting quarterback in school annals.

Added 300 yards and four scores on 95 carries (3.2 avg)…Registered 218 of the team's 322 first downs for the season (200 passing, 18 rushing)…His scrambling ability allowed him to escape the pass rush all year, as he was sacked only ten times…Fumbled the ball five times, but only two resulted in a turnover…His average of 358.5 yards per game in total offense ranked second in the nation…Threw for at least 300 yards in ten games and had at least four touchdown passes in eight contests.

2003 Season

Played in four games, serving as the back-up quarterback to Josh Harris…Completed 19 of 28 passes (67.9%) for 345 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions…Carried 18 times for 89 yards (4.9 avg) and two scores…Accounted for fourteen first downs passing and six more rushing.

2002 Season

Redshirted as a freshman.

Campus Agility Tests

4.59 in the 40-yard dash…350-pound bench press…485-pound squat…295-pound power clean…33-inch vertical jump…32 3/8-inch arm length…9 7/8-inch hands.

High School

Attended Atlantic Community (Delray Beach, Fla.) High School, playing football for coach Keith Tillman…Standout quarterback who was named the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel and Boca News Offensive Player of the Year, adding Palm Beach County Amateur Athlete of the Year honors…Second-team All-Florida pick, who also earned firs- team All-Conference and All-County accolades…Named to the "Super 11 Squad" after he threw for 2,670 yards, completed 63 percent of his passes and connected on 28 touchdowns as a senior.

Gained more than 1,000 yards passing during the playoffs that year, helping the team to a regional championship…Also lettered in basketball and baseball…First-team All-County and All-Conference performer in baseball…Also excelled academically, being named to the Vocational National Honor Society…Named Rotary Student of the Month in 2001.

Personal

Behavioral Science with an emphasis in Physical Therapy major…Son of Barbara Bean and Frank Jacobs…Born Omar T. Jacobs on 3/03/84…Resides in Delray Beach, Florida.

Dolphinzoneman
01-08-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.draftshowcase.com/OmarJacobs.htm

Omar Jacobs, under the tutelage and teachings of Nick Saban, would be perfect here. :dolphins:

unifiedtheory
01-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Did you see the mock draft on this site?

Dreadfully out of date.

Kadiddlehopper
01-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll join the Bandwagon!

QB2RonnieTD23
01-08-2006, 04:19 PM
i suppose it's better than the Jon Kitna bandwagon.....

wazzy
01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't mind Omar Jacobs as long as we don't waste a first round pick on him!

umpalu
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM

so?

NJL52
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM

Coincidently they are the best 3 after Cutler....thats for the insight tho.....

fiedler fan..jk
01-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Unless the Dolphins trade up, we are probably gonna miss out on Leinart, Young, and Cutler. I know Omar Jacobs has entered the draft and he had that ridiculous season in 2004 with 67% completions, 4000 yards, 41 tds, and 4 int. What round is he projected to go in and does anyone see the Dolphins taking a shot at him?

Dors156
01-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Unless the Dolphins trade up, we are probably gonna miss out on Leinart, Young, and Cutler. I know Omar Jacobs has entered the draft and he had that ridiculous season in 2004 with 67% completions, 4000 yards, 41 tds, and 4 int. What round is he projected to go in and does anyone see the Dolphins taking a shot at him?

hes a third to fourth rounder.all i got to say is we have to get on jacobs.he is definatly got what it takes to be a franchise QB.he would be the steal of the draft.he reminds me a whole lot of culpepper.and plus it would make it easy on jacobs because of r and r.im praying we get him

pwn3dyo
01-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Omar jacobs a 4th rounder? No way. early 2nd.

Goin` Deep
01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
hes a third to fourth rounder.all i got to say is we have to get on jacobs.he is definatly got what it takes to be a franchise QB.he would be the steal of the draft.he reminds me a whole lot of culpepper.
Sounds an awful lot like what people were saying about McPherson last year.

saves
01-08-2006, 09:22 PM

There are no similarities (sp?) really. Check the draft forum for information about him.

Dolfan4life34
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
before the seson this year people were talking bot taking this guy in the first round because he was thta good if we could get him in the third or fourth i would be reall happy with tht pik id prefer cutler to fall to us in the first

tucker
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
plus he's a home grown talent..went to atlantic high school..he would fit linehan's(sp) perfectly

cowtowndick
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
hard to believe he'll still be on the board when we pick in the 2nd (48th overall). what about either trading down in the first (to get more picks) and taking him later in the first, or trading to move up in the second?

FuturePhin
01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Im all for getting him in the 2nd if we dont trade up and get a qb that is.

NaboCane
01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
***All Members Please Read - Forum Changes!***
Hello Everyone!

Because the staff at FinHeaven is always looking for better ways to organize, and streamline the site, we've decided to re-structure a portion of it.
You'll notice that what was once the College| Draft Forum has now been split.
We've renamed the original forum to simply "College Football" and created a new forum called "Draft Forum". We are now in the process of moving threads around so that they are in the appropriate forums.
We've also created a new sub-forum within the General NFL forum, called "Free Agents".
We ask that you keep these forums in mind when posting, as we'd like to continue keeping the main Dolphins forum uncluttered, and pertaining to the current Dolphins team.

When posting, please keep these guidelines in mind:

Miami Dolphins - Please keeps threads related to current Dolphins players/staff etc here

College Football - Please keep threads related to current college teams/players/games here

Draft Forum - Please keep mock drafts/draft wish lists/potential draft picks, etc in here.

Free Agents - Please keep discussions about potential free agents here.

We realize that this may mean an adjustment for everyone, but we feel that in the long run it will make things easier for all of us. Not only will it make it "cleaner" and uncluttered in the main forum, but it will also make it easier to find the FA discussions, mock drafts etc...

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Staff either by PM or by posting in the Questions and Comments forum.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation, and we look forward to an active offseason of improving our Dolphins through free agency and the draft, and an exciting 2006 football season!

WharfRat

Roman529
01-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I would take him in the 2nd round if he is there....not a first rounder...but most of the decent QB's will likely be gone when we draft at #16. :rolleyes:

Coral Reefer
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM

Exactly....

Jacobs isn't an impressive prospect to me at all.
If we drafted him I'd be very dissapointed.

OurHeartAndSoul
01-08-2006, 11:25 PM
so?

I was just thinking it's cool that we have come so far. Not too long ago therwould be hardly any african american QB's.

SMadison29
01-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Nick Saban isn't a QB coach. I'll burn that bandwagon. We don't want him.

Nappy Roots
01-08-2006, 11:46 PM
woah, on that site, the NFL comparision is Alex Smith

:eek:

Danny
01-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Is gonna be a long offseason.I can't wait for free agency so we can actually talk about someone we got....lol

Ozzy rules!!

einpa
01-09-2006, 12:15 AM
i hate jacobs he is so overrated it isnt even funny.one good year in a small conference and hes a high pick?he will flop just like young.

dominizzo
01-09-2006, 12:15 AM
IS his Arm Sky Rocket? IS Omar the Adrian Mcpherson of last Draft? IS he injury Prone these things scare me about GEtting JAcobs

dominizzo
01-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I say the Raiders Draft Cutler

dominizzo
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
If hes there in the 3rd grab him

einpa
01-09-2006, 12:21 AM
good idea lets waste a pick on one of those three.

have any of them
1 ran a pro style offence
2 won the game with their arms under pressure

SMadison29
01-09-2006, 01:01 AM

:eek:

Big red flags are waving.

Motion
01-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Omar jacobs a 4th rounder? No way. early 2nd.

:lol: Not gonna happen.

fishypete
01-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Jacobs is not a first round QB.....at best late second round or early third round. I believe if Mickey Mouse was a QB....they would have him coming out in the first round.

Finfanforever
01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.draftshowcase.com/OmarJacobs.htm

Omar Jacobs, under the tutelage and teachings of Nick Saban, would be perfect here. :dolphins:

Jacobs is the most OVERRATED QB in this years draft. I am NOT on this wagon.

ckparrothead
01-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't call him overrated if he's being evaluated as a 2nd to 4th round guy. The Advisory committee gave him a 4th round grade, and he figured he could bump himself into the 3rd by showing off his athleticism and arm strength. I would have to agree with him, that looks like how it is going to shake out. Fourth round for now, but if he looks really nimble on his pins with a topgun arm then he could sneak into the 3rd...and that's not really "overrated" for him. He's got a lot of potential because he's got such a powerful and accurate arm.

pigskinguy
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I hope this bandwagon crashes before it reaches Miami.

marchingsnail
01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Bowling green qb omar jacobs chose to enter draft this year. what do ya'll think of picking him up 3rd 4th round?

marchingsnail
01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
bowling green qb omar jacobs entered the draft. what do you guys think about derafting him 3rd maybe 4th round

NewEra8
01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Bowling green qb omar jacobs chose to enter draft this year. what do ya'll think of picking him up 3rd 4th round?

4th sure...

(draft forum)

FinFaninMS
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I think if we haven't drafted a QB by then, and he is available, we should go for it.

God, this team hasn't drafted a QB in so long that it seems they've forgotten how. At least when we had Marino there was a plausible reason not to do it. But after the mediocre-at-best QB play over the last six seasons, you'd think they would finally take the plunge.

madmike
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I'll agree to a 4th rd.

sports24/7
01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I still think we need to get our QB in the first. If that means we have to trade up then that is what we have to do. Jacobs is a nice prospect, but he is a ways off before he takes an NFL snap.

Aqua and Orange
01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Id take him in the 3rd. He could go high depending on his workout (high meaning second)

weisdolphins
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I actually believe we should just go after him in the third because he might not last until the fourth round.

1st: Jimmy Williams, Michael Huff, or Chad Greenway
2nd: Gabe Watson or Cedric Griffin
3rd: Omar Jacobs
4th: Brandon Williams

SoDakDolfan
01-09-2006, 01:36 PM
If he is still around in the 4th I would take him. I think he is too much of a project and a reach in the 3rd round.

my 2 cents
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Gee...watched all three and none will be in the NFL in 4 years...... Hackney...below average size (Height that is, weight wise he has good size for a LT, small boat, or a Sumo wrestler)...looks like the Staypuff marshmellow man, GREAT ARM...best in the draft...matter of fact co7uld throw it through the barn door...problem is he can't hit the door from 10 yards , average mobility... not "good".... good leader...throws into coverage, plays in a base O...overall worth a 5-7 flyer in this QB class but odds are against him... after the top 3 (Young, Leinart, Cutler) the best bet is Whitehurst to be a starter and after that maybe Josh Betts as a career backup and Brodie Croyle as a forever #3 and hang around for 10 years like Shane Matthews...

Darrell Hackney. Anyone who has actually watched all three knows he has the best chance at actually succeeding in the NFL. Good size, good arm, good mobility, good leader, has played against good competition, makes good decisions, plays in a "normal" offense. I would compare him to a McNabb as far as size and arm.

saves
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Nick Saban isn't a QB coach. I'll burn that bandwagon. We don't want him.

He is a football coach, and Jacobs is a football player.

Thats a horrible comparison.