PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy

dolfanattic5
01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
does anyone else think that the nfl is somewhat of a conspiracy. I heard this on a sports radio talk show and they were talking about the ridiculous ending of the saints vs. falcons game. How if it is a close game the refs will try and find a way to give the nod to a more media exposed team like the falcons because they want to see the best and most exciting players (aka michael vick) make come from behind wins to boost the t.v. ratings. I thought this was a very interesting topic on the sports dial last night and want to hear your thoughts. Im not saying that the nfl as a whole is staged, but i can believe the fact that the nfl will give the edge to the better or more media exposed team. Your thoughts?

PressCoverage
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
many argue that the New England Patriots are the most "boring" team around... and then there's contradictory group that says it's all fixed in their favor.... there would be too much to cover up and too many people to hush if there was a conspiracy in the NFL... no way...

UCFinfan86
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
i dont think there is a conspiracy forsay. I do think that the refs give calls to superstars liek Vick. If it is close or they don't know they will put it in their favor, like the ridiculous late hit call on Vick in the week 8 game, he wasn't even out of bounds yet.:shakeno:

Metal Panda
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Football conspiracy theories are for serious nerds who like The Hardy Boys.

Roman529
01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't believe in conspiracies in the NFL, but I think that certain players probably get away with more in the NFL just like Jordan and Bird got away with travelling and throwing the elbow in the NBA. It just seems like the Patriots always get the calls. :mad:

Metal Panda
01-09-2006, 11:16 PM
The NFL is one sport where for the MOST PART, superstars don't get superstar calls. Premiere players get flagged all the time. Sure some "benefit" calls happen here and there but nowhere near as egregiously as in the NBA, where Tim Duncan can have just one foul in the 4th quarter :rolleyes: NFL officials want to officiate in the Super Bowl and can't do so (since they get graded on every play) if they're sitting there screwing up.

B-LO, BABY
01-10-2006, 01:26 AM
The NFL protects its stars and its marketable teams very well. If you think that Mike Vick doesn't benefit from ticky tack personal foul penalties and that NE doesn't benefit from questionable officiating at times, then you are simply naive. Or a Pats or Falcons fan.

Slappy8800
01-10-2006, 01:37 AM
only consipracy i believe in is 2001 PAtriots wining the SB

King Felix
01-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Lol

King Felix
01-10-2006, 02:01 AM
some ppl on this boards r such homers its rediculous and funny at the same time

Metal Panda
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
The NFL protects its stars and its marketable teams very well. If you think that Mike Vick doesn't benefit from ticky tack personal foul penalties and that NE doesn't benefit from questionable officiating at times, then you are simply naive. Or a Pats or Falcons fan.

Silly comment. Michael Vick has been the beneficiary of some silly flags and that annoys the living crap out of me, but if the NFL protects its stars, why have so many of them gone out for the season, most of the time on hits that weren't even flagged?

Just a dumb comment all around. The NFL is one of the better sports in that out of the major american sports, superstars get less beneficial treatment. Officials care more about officiating in the super bowl and keeping their job than making Vick look good.

Metal Panda
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM

Oh dear lord. :rolleyes:

FinaciousOne
01-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Don't know about 2001, but that snow plow game still sticks in my craw.

Football conspiracy theories are for serious nerds who like The Hardy Boys.

I prefer Tom Swift.

does anyone else think that the nfl is somewhat of a conspiracy.

I doubt it, but I'm starting to suspect wrestling might be fixed.

unifiedtheory
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM

Yuh think?:sidelol:

Metal Panda
01-11-2006, 12:21 AM

Who broke it?

finfansince72
01-11-2006, 12:25 AM
I dont believe in a conspiracy to give certain teams games, however, I do think refs watch players like Vick more closely and give him the benefit of the doubt when plays are close. I dont neccesarily think this is some NFL mandate or anything. I mean you'd pay more attention to everything that happens to Vick over say Gus Frerotte? The refs overall are good in the NFL. The NBA is really obvious in their blatant star calls, even MLB can be crazy when it comes to calling balls and strikes for certain pitchers, batters, etc. I dont believe there are any players that the NFL tells refs to help win games.

McDuffie81
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Silly comment. Michael Vick has been the beneficiary of some silly flags and that annoys the living crap out of me, but if the NFL protects its stars, why have so many of them gone out for the season, most of the time on hits that weren't even flagged?

Just a dumb comment all around. The NFL is one of the better sports in that out of the major american sports, superstars get less beneficial treatment. Officials care more about officiating in the super bowl and keeping their job than making Vick look good. Is that your argument? :huh: There is no way of protecting a player from injury. If its a legal hit you cant throw a flag. You can only hope to send the message by giving the opposing team a 15 yrd penalty for so much as breathing on Vick, which is bullcrap.

IF there ever was some sort of "conspiricy" or hidden agenda it would be their job to call plays in favor of Vick or the Pats. I dont believe in the conspiricy theory but its obvious Vick and the Pats (especially Pats!) get some crazy calls in their favor and noone seems to know why.

Btw Alex22....better start posting more man, this guy RobFins is catching up. :tongue:

Metal Panda
01-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Is that your argument? :huh: There is no way of protecting a player from injury. If its a legal hit you cant throw a flag. You can only hope to send the message by giving the opposing team a 15 yrd penalty for so much as breathing on Vick, which is bullcrap.

Can't be any worse than the arguments being put forth in this thread that there is a clear bias, since nobody has any real concrete examples other than a few blown calls (and believe it or not, blown calls (gasp) happen in every game).

I (and others) believe since Vick is a unique player, they often times have trouble officiating him. He runs more than any other quarterback and doesn't slide like most QBs do, so often times questionable calls are made (like the 15 yard penalty that was bogus in the Miami game) due to his excessive penchant for running.

IF there ever was some sort of "conspiricy" or hidden agenda it would be their job to call plays in favor of Vick or the Pats. I dont believe in the conspiricy theory but its obvious Vick and the Pats (especially Pats!) get some crazy calls in their favor and noone seems to know why.

Btw Alex22....better start posting more man, this guy RobFins is catching up. :tongue:

I don't think the Patriots get any more calls in their favor than anybody else. Bias plays into our perception since we are Dolphins fans and the Patriots are the most hated.

The only exception of course (excluding the tuck rule, which has been debated to death) was the 2003 AFC Championship, and look what happened as a result--the league decided to remphasize the rule against contact beyond 5 yards. Would they have done that if there truly was a "bias" towards the Patriots when this would obviously more greatly benefit a team like the Colts (and it did...49 passing TDs?)?

Plus, everybody gets calls in their favor. Does anybody remember the 2001 road matchup against the Seahawks where Miami was given the ball when Shaun Alexander clearly DIDN'T fumble as he had been down for a full 5 seconds before the ball moved, and the official at first overturned the call, then came back inexplicably a moment later after not reviewing the play again and saying no, it WAS a fumble? Tell me inquiring minds weren't wondering about that.

Just get over the whole cries of bias and realize yes, the patriots are a good football team, and then breathe easier when you realize no, they aren't going to threepeat. And then breathe another sigh of relief when you realize eventually they'll return from the soil in whence they came, as every team has in recent NFL years.

McDuffie81
01-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Bottom line after scanning over your post real quick is if you touch Vick within a 999,999,999th of a millisecond of him releasing the ball you get hit with a RTP call. It happens all season long pretty darn consitantly.

I never said the Pats arent a good team. Were Dolphin fans yes, but we arent the only ones who can see the bogus call the Pats get. I was was screaming my head off when the Pats were playing the Bills in that "miracle comeback by Bruschi". They made a HUUUUUUUGE momentum swinging call that like usual benefitted the Pats. The Pats came back and won that game in true Pat fashion. Look at the call at the end of our last game man! They get the calls consitantly.

Metal Panda
01-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Bottom line after scanning over your post real quick is if you touch Vick within a 999,999,999th of a millisecond of him releasing the ball you get hit with a RTP call. It happens all season long pretty darn consitantly.

I never said the Pats arent a good team. Were Dolphin fans yes, but we arent the only ones who can see the bogus call the Pats get. I was was screaming my head off when the Pats were playing the Bills in that "miracle comeback by Bruschi". They made a HUUUUUUUGE momentum swinging call that like usual benefitted the Pats. The Pats came back and won that game in true Pat fashion. Look at the call at the end of our last game man! They get the calls consitantly.

It's called close scrutinization. We're Dolphins fans, we hate the Patriots, so we notice calls that go in their favor and tend to forget that we also get them in our favor (like a bogus 15 yard pass interference call that <thankfully> kept one of our drives alive against the Jets and gave us 3 points).

How about the onside kick that should have been disallowed in the major 28 point Colts comeback on Monday night football a few years back? Without it the Colts lose that game. That was a major gaffe. And also the upheld Shockey TD against Seattle this year that clearly wasn't. And that call in 2002 where the Giants receiver was mauled in the closing seconds of the 49ers playoff game and the officials incorrectly said there was no foul and the league determined there should have been and that may have had a direct impact on the outcome of the game.

It just happens.

As far as the Vick quote, quarterbacks in general are getting lots of bogus roughing the passer calls. It's where the league is going. The league expects you to defy the laws of physics and stop yourself in midair if the QB has released the ball. That isn't something that happens just to Vick.

McDuffie81
01-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Yes refs make bogus calls. Yes Qbs are being overly protected. I and many others believe that a certain team and a certain player receive more than their fair share of calls.