PDA

View Full Version : Merged: DJ Shockley

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:02 PM
DJ Shockley could very well be the next QB of the Dolphins. He is flying under the radar, but I suspect that will change after the Senior Bowl. This was his first year leading Georgia's offense and he was the best quarterback in the Southeastern Conference (put up better numbers than Jay Cutler and Chris Leak). I could really see Saban making a move on Shockley. Saban has shown that he trusts his own knowledge of players and that he's willing to take players that he has either coached or coached against (three of the first four draft picks were out of the Southeastern Conference). Shockley is accurate, he has a big time arm, he makes all the throws, and is mobility is a huge bonus. He could flourish in Linehan's offense.

Perfect23
12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
yeah i guess he could fit in scott linehans offense

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Plus, I think Saban would rather take a QB later in the draft because if there is a defensive stud on the board, he would be chomping at the bits and might not be able to resist. Saban and Meuller are under the belief that good QBs can be "found."

montezuma
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I know one Dolphin that would approve. His former room mate and receiver is already on the team.

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:09 PM
DJ Shockley could very well be the next QB of the Dolphins. He is flying under the radar, but I suspect that will change after the Senior Bowl. This was his first year leading Georgia's offense and he was the best quarterback in the Southeastern Conference (put up better numbers than Jay Cutler and Chris Leak). I could really see Saban making a move on Shockley. Saban has shown that he trusts his own knowledge of players and that he's willing to take players that he has either coached or coached against (three of the first four draft picks were out of the Southeastern Conference). Shockley is accurate, he has a big time arm, he makes all the throws, and is mobility is a huge bonus. He could flourish in Linehan's offense.

Ive never been a Big shockley fan

He is a great college QB but nothing I have seen makes me believe he can do it in the Pro's

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:09 PM
he put up better numbers because he has better talent around him than cutler

finfan54
12-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Very Possible, he too fits the MO of the kind of Qb we are looking for.

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Ive never been a Big shockley fan

He is a great college QB but nothing I have seen makes me believe he can do it in the Pro's

What have you seen that says otherwise? 21 Tds 5 ints? Playing in the SEC?

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
55% completion percent in college is bad

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:15 PM

He's got a running game (that was serious under-utilized), Leonard Pope (who defenses center their scheme around and sometimes gets lost in the game - e.g. SEC Championship game no catches in the 1st half) however, his receiving corp is probably the weakest unit on the team. A true freshman had to emerge because seniors had problems with dropping passes.

WaxOn WaxOff
12-09-2005, 07:15 PM
or any other NFL team for that matter. He's not that good. Charlie Whitehurst is the later round sleeper IMHO. He has a rifle arm and is more a pro style QB than many of the top QB's coming out. Much better than Shockley.

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
55% completion percent in college is bad

There's no way to incorporate dropped passes to that number. I watched every game and his receivers had a lot of problems with catching the ball. If you think it's frustating watching Chris Chambers, imagine watching three receivers dropping balls. At least CC gives you a highlight reel catch, these guys were seriously underachieving.

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 07:17 PM

well hes has 14 TDs and 5 INTs agaisnt the SEC, with about a 53% completion percentage.

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:18 PM
There's no way to incorporate dropped passes to that number. I watched every game and his receivers had a lot of problems with catching the ball. If you think it's frustating watching Chris Chambers, imagine watching three receivers dropping balls. At least CC gives you a highlight reel catch, these guys were seriously underachieving.
so if his receivers caught every ball, he'd have what...58% completion? still not that good

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:19 PM

No his completion percentage, isnt good, and he misses open throws

if you want to go on pure stats then take Omar Jacobs

71 TD's to 11 INT's in his career for bowling green

I just dont see shockley as a NFL player

I think Omar Jacobs will be a better one although he plays in a weaker conference

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 07:19 PM

they would have to drop a very extreme amount of balls to get that number down that low if he were to have what he is suppose to in college.

DJ is not accurate, plain and simple

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:20 PM
so if his receivers caught every ball, he'd have what...58% completion? still not that good

exactly, he looks like a career backup in the NFL, never a franchise QB

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Well let's see his performance in the Senior Bowl, and see if his stock rises or not.

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:23 PM
exactly, he looks like a career backup in the NFL, never a franchise QB

For every QB that looks like a career backup, there's one that's supposed to be the next franchise QBs, there's no perfect science...We'll just have to wait and see.

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:25 PM
they would have to drop a very extreme amount of balls to get that number down that low if he were to have what he is suppose to in college.

DJ is not accurate, plain and simple

The point of this thread is put out another name. I've seen Jay Cutler's name around here a lot, but the truth is that DJ performed better than Cutler. You can try to attribute that to whatever you want, but the guy put up better numbers, plain and simple.

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
The point of this thread is put out another name. I've seen Jay Cutler's name around here a lot, but the truth is that DJ performed better than Cutler. You can try to attribute that to whatever you want, but the guy put up better numbers, plain and simple.
doesn't matter who performed better, it's about who's the better pro prospect

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Numbers dont matter

Timmy Chang is the all time college passing yard leader

Shaun King is the all time college QB rateing leader

what do stats really have to do with anything?

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:29 PM

exactly

You have to look at who delivers a catchable ball, makes the right decisions in games, and has an NFL calliber arm

I dont think shockley is that guy

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:30 PM

Chad Pennington was a better "pro prospect" than Tom Brady. What's the point? You don't know how they'll do until they see the field.

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 07:31 PM

how could he off put up better numbers plain and simple, when Cutler had more yards passing, better completion percentage, and the same amount of Touch Down passes, on a much, much, much worse football team? :shakeno:

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:33 PM
My first choice for the Phins at QB is Brady Quinn, however, if that doesn't happen, there's no telling who the Phins select. If Shockley ends up being an NFL star there will be plenty of crow to go around. It's too early to call, I want to see them on the field. That will happen in due time.

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Chad Pennington was a better "pro prospect" than Tom Brady. What's the point? You don't know how they'll do until they see the field.
pennington is pretty good. that's a bad example

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
how could he off put up better numbers plain and simple, when Cutler had more yards passing, better completion percentage, and the same amount of Touch Down passes, on a much, much, much worse football team? :shakeno:

Come on people Vandy is not a much much much worse football team buddy. They almost beat FL in the Swamp and they beat Tennesee.

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Come on people Vandy is not a much much much worse football team buddy. They almost beat FL in the Swamp and they beat Tennesee.

u cant be serious

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:35 PM
are you kidding me? vanderbilt is 5-6 and lost to middle tennesse state, and georgia is in the sugar bowl. your cred is gone

tmny99
12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
pennington is pretty good. that's a bad example

What about Giovanni Carmazzi? He was a better "pro prospect" than Brady too.

Nappy Roots
My first choice for the Phins at QB is Brady Quinn, however, if that doesn't happen, there's no telling who the Phins select. If Shockley ends up being an NFL star there will be plenty of crow to go around. It's too early to call, I want to see them on the field. That will happen in due time.

if DJ is drafted in the 5th round and becomes a "NFL star" everyone will be eating crow, including NFL GMs and Scouts

Alex44

and have a losing record

yes vandy is a worse team, those are there 2 big games they come to play in no matter how bad they are

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 07:37 PM
What about Giovanni Carmazzi? He was a better "pro prospect" than Brady too.
peyton manning was a better pro prospect than anyone in 1998. they were right

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:37 PM
if DJ is drafted in the 5th round and becomes a "NFL star" everyone will be eating crow, including NFL GMs and Scouts

if DJ gets drafted in the 5th round and becomes a star ill give everyone here on finheaven 100 dollars

its not gonna happen

SweepeR
12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
i think that decision comes down to who is left on our pick worth taking and if no one then cutler but i see us taking cutler either way as there are no reports of interest in shockley and constnat reports of miami loving cutler and quinn so i doubt it.

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:50 PM
i think that decision comes down to who is left on our pick worth taking and if no one then cutler but i see us taking cutler either way as there are no reports of interest in shockley and constnat reports of miami loving cutler and quinn so i doubt it.

I was looking up cutler and I found a body builder named Jay Cutler, I was shocked lol

but your right I think Cutler will be our man

Alex44
12-09-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.betus.com/lockerroom-1408_Jay_Cutler.asp

Its a decent article on cutler. I think he would be a good pick up

Elfpower
12-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I may be a Georgia Bulldog homer, I dunno, but I think Shockley could be a good(maybe not great) QB in the NFL. I don't know how the hell all you people can be like, "give Lemon a shot" and then say Shockley will be a nothing in this league. Shockley has a dead on strike deep ball and can throw a 50 yarder on the money going to his opposite throwing side off his backfoot...Ive seen it. He could work a bit on his shorter range stuff but those are the most coachable throws. And yes, Georgia had a pathetic recieving corps that dropped on target throws and a lot of throws for TD's. Best reciever was there TE Pope and he has a little bit of the case of the dropsees too. On top of it all, the man can flat out move with his legs. A little faster and a little more shifty then say, Culpepper, just not as big. He has awesome character and very loyal to his team and teamates. And for all who love Vince Young...Shockley throws the ball better, and thats a fact. Cutler, who I don't want anyway, shouldn't go in the first 15 picks which is likely where we will likely be in the draft. I like Shockley in the 3rd or maybe 4th, but thats only b/c he has only started 1 year. Overall...above average accuracy, great arm strength, and great deep ball...works well with all the different recieving positions especially the TE which we all know Linehan loves. Not an immediate starter, but could be in his 2nd or definately his 3rd year. ryan.

Awsi Dooger
12-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I like what I've seen of Shockley. Those TD passes he threw last week against LSU were on the perfect trajectory and pace for the situation. I always prioritize that aspect very early, does the QB have the ability to make every throw? The Bobby Douglass-type strongarmed wingers will frustrate you in the end. The 40+ crowd will recognize that reference.

Still, Shockley couldn't beat out David Green, or even come close. Late last season when Green was hurt they put Shockley in the game and he was so inept Green later staggered back on the field just to be able to competently take the handoffs and save the game.

scenaria
12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
I would be pretty bummed.. I was never very impressed with him

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Still, Shockley couldn't beat out David Green, or even come close. Late last season when Green was hurt they put Shockley in the game and he was so inept Green later staggered back on the field just to be able to competently take the handoffs and save the game.
that was last year, though

Elfpower
12-09-2005, 09:09 PM
You do make a good enough point there. But the way they threw Shockley in and out of the games, I can see it being hard to get a rhythem(sp?). With Greene in there, Im pretty sure most of the preparation during the weeks practices was with Greene at the helm. Shockley had skills but the Dawgs threw him in there to keep the opponent honest. Like there way of saying "hope you gamplaned to stop a running QB". When they put Shockely in he pretty much just ran a lot of QB options and Qb runs. With all the snaps and preparation during practice this year, you saw what Shockely was capable of. I'll take Shockley in his senior year over D.Greenes anyday.

silverloop13
12-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Im pretty sure he played at my wedding. He was late setting up put he sure could get the crowd on the dance floor.

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Come on If you want to look at production, take Beschorner(spelling)

How can you bash a qb that 98% of you have only seen a stat line on. The guys that have a good read on a guy are the scouts and fans that watch him regularly. I have watched Shockley. I will not say that he won't be great and I will not say draft him in the 1st. But if we could wait and get him later I would be pleades w/ that.

I mean it was his first year starting. He was one of the the highest rated qb's going into college. He could have left UGA to start at almost any other school, instead he was a true teammate and chose to be loyal to the university, the team and the faithful DAWG Pound in Athens. That sounds alot like Ronnie now dosen't it. He only sat behind the winningest qb in SEC history(David Greene, not P. Manning)

Elfpower
12-09-2005, 09:43 PM
....my points exactly my man !!

oldirty14
12-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Its funny to be hearin about Shockley on this Miami site. Me being a WVU alumni and going to see Shockley play in the Sugar Bowl in a couple weeks. Personally I think hes decent, but with a lot of talent around him. But the only reason Im posting here is to wish the worst luck upon Shockley, I hope he has the worse game hes ever had. Just watch that game though and see a the freshman that WVU has. Pat White rushing 900 yds in 9 games as a QB..... Beating Miachael Vicks best game... Pat White is the better QB in this Sugar Bowl.

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Greene holds the all time victory mark in the SEC and you type w/o thinking or knowing who or what he was up against! I mean could anybody name a coach that benches a qb that is winning 10+ games in college every year?

Until you have scouted him, watch every game he has played and list the good and bad, do not be so thick skulled to bash anyone else that does like what they have seen.

The good far and away out weigh the bad.

V. Young, how good is he really? He has had 1 good season and he has far more talent around him than Shockley does. Put Shockley in Texas and you all would be clamouring to this bell.

I will take a guy that is on a 9-3 team w/ no talent and a 70% completion rate and few int's over a Leinart or Young! Why? Both Matt L. & Young will have a host of NFL quality players coming of of their teams. John Doe will be the only one on his. That is why there are 5th round gems and 1st round busts. Take qb's in rd's 2-7 and those in round 1 and let's see where the most true good NFL qbs are taken. Reason? Great talent makes an average or worse qb look great, bad talent makes a great qb look average. I take the latter!

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
What are you talking about? 58% is good. Marino's highest completion percentage was about 58% in 1983!

Nappy Roots
12-09-2005, 09:57 PM
What are you talking about? 58% is good. Marino's highest completion percentage was about 58% in 1983!

:rofl3:

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 09:58 PM
:rofl3:
Laugh all you want. His career completion percentage at Pitt was 58%.

kastofsna120
oh okay :rolleyes:

PHINZONER
I take Marino and 58% over a let's say Leaf and 70%!

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I take Marino and 58% over a let's say Leaf and 70%!
Exactly. You can't say that 58% makes either a good or bad QB. That's my point. But certain people on this board like to argue just to put people down. And they know who they are.

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:02 PM
CAN YOU SAY AKILI SMITH!!!!!!!!

He was suppose to be ohhhhhh soooooo good as well! Look wher that hype led!

Schaub is probably the best qb in Atlanta and he is sittin behind a guy that avg's like 160 yds or something a game!!!!

I take Schaub. He runs that offense better than Vick when he is called to do it!

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:06 PM
We could end up w/ Schaub!

chillwill3000
12-09-2005, 10:19 PM
No his completion percentage, isnt good, and he misses open throws

if you want to go on pure stats then take Omar Jacobs

71 TD's to 11 INT's in his career for bowling green

I just dont see shockley as a NFL player

I think Omar Jacobs will be a better one although he plays in a weaker conference

omar jacobs is horrible, he is no where near as talented as DJ.

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Schaub is a Pittsburgh native!

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Schaub 6'-5" 237# and 24 yrs old!

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
CAN YOU SAY AKILI SMITH!!!!!!!!

He was suppose to be ohhhhhh soooooo good as well! Look wher that hype led!

Schaub is probably the best qb in Atlanta and he is sittin behind a guy that avg's like 160 yds or something a game!!!!

I take Schaub. He runs that offense better than Vick when he is called to do it!
schaub will be great, but what does shockley have to do with akili smith

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Schaub completed 66.98% of his passes, second best alltime NCAA history. (# 1 Tim Couch)

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:29 PM
I was talking about Yong not Shockley! Akili was considered a can't miss like Young!

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
If Omar Jacobs is so good why is he not ever talked about?

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 10:43 PM
If Omar Jacobs is so good why is he not ever talked about?
he was talked about a TON before he got injured

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Well injury is part of the game! I will wait to really start opting for a qb until I can doo some scouting of my own!!!

thecoordinator
12-09-2005, 11:15 PM
DJ Shockley could very well be the next QB of the Dolphins. He is flying under the radar, but I suspect that will change after the Senior Bowl.

flying under who's radar? espn's? your local newspaper's? sure he is, but he's not flying under nfl scouts radars...come on bro

PHINZONER
12-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Exactly! Everyone is hoping Quinn comes out, if he does he will be gone before Lienart and we would have to give up a 1sr and 2nd and probably a stud player to attain his services. No player flies under the radar unless he is from a small school in South Dakota that has ties to a specific coach. Which Augustana's HC and Saban are great friends I guess. I could not tell you if there is anybody on that team worth a squat though!

thejetssuck
01-03-2006, 02:15 AM
After watching this guy in the sugar bowl, i would LOVE if we could steal this guy in the 3-5 rd. Why? Great speed, ( i am guessing 4.4 to low 4.5), great arm strengh, very good (though not great ) accuracy, outstanding throwing on the run!!, . I am not a homer though, I can acknowledfge his negatives I noticed too. The 2 main problems I noticed were poor footwork in the pocket ( though this is pretty correctable, its not like the guy is a statue aka kurt warner), and somewhat of a lack of touch on shorter passes ( this would be one area that is much harder to correct by coaching alone, but CAN be fixed by intense repetition/practice and competent coaching (just look at what that pete carroll guy does with those loser QB's he always seems to get stuck with, that poor guy ;) .

Jaj
01-03-2006, 02:32 AM
After watching this guy in the sugar bowl, i would LOVE if we could steal this guy in the 3-5 rd. Why? Great speed, ( i am guessing 4.4 to low 4.5), great arm strengh, very good (though not great ) accuracy, outstanding throwing on the run!!, . I am not a homer though, I can acknowledfge his negatives I noticed too. The 2 main problems I noticed were poor footwork in the pocket ( though this is pretty correctable, its not like the guy is a statue aka kurt warner), and somewhat of a lack of touch on shorter passes ( this would be one area that is much harder to correct by coaching alone, but CAN be fixed by intense repetition/practice and competent coaching (just look at what that pete carroll guy does with those loser QB's he always seems to get stuck with, that poor guy ;) .

How can you say a 55% is great accuracy though? He's also 6-1 which doesn't help.

I'd much rather have Croyle...

PhinFan0202
01-03-2006, 02:36 AM
I was just watching him play in the bowl game. He's not a bad QB from what i could see his mechanics need a little work but other than he's got some tools to work with.

PhinFan0202
01-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Schaub completed 66.98% of his passes, second best alltime NCAA history. (# 1 Tim Couch)

Look how far that got Tim Couch. Sorry i couldn't resist, no hard feelings.

thejetssuck
01-03-2006, 02:39 AM
How can you say a 55% is great accuracy though? He's also 6-1 which doesn't help.

I'd much rather have Croyle...

Thanks, I forgot to mention something else. Though only 6'1", i also notcied he has a very high release point. I mean to the point that he plays/throws more like a 6-3 to upwards of a 6-5 individual. And though 55% isn't great accuracy, his receivers REALLY did s*** it really hard. Also, comp % does not tell the whole story. Case and point?..... Josh Heuple, nuff said.

Motion
01-03-2006, 03:00 AM
He's got a running game (that was serious under-utilized), Leonard Pope (who defenses center their scheme around and sometimes gets lost in the game - e.g. SEC Championship game no catches in the 1st half) however, his receiving corp is probably the weakest unit on the team. A true freshman had to emerge because seniors had problems with dropping passes.

:lol: BS

finfansince72
01-03-2006, 03:39 AM

How is using the talent around him a minus? The talent around him would be better in Miami also. Not saying this guy is going to be great but I would never fault a prospect for using the talent around him. If that was the case, Leinart would be a day 2 pick.

His Dudeness
01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
any of you guys watch his bowl game? I really liked what i saw... Very elusive and he's got a BOMB. he needs to work on his footwork and short passing game, but that kind of stuff can be taught... you can't teach elusiveness and a strong arm... I was thinking we could be able to pick him up in the second or third round....what do you fellas think?

PhenomenalPhin
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I love this guy, and that game was amazing. He has incredible arm strength, don't know how he would do in the NFL though.

His Dudeness
01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
i mean, he's definitely got the arm and the legs, the rest, will just have to be tought to him.... I mean, look at a guy like Steve Mcnair.

elandre
01-04-2006, 08:25 PM
yea i can def see him going in the late 1st or 2nd round :)

I hope we get him and draft a CB in the 1st

UGAxFIN
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
he has potential, and I am sure everyone by now has heard his story about being back-up to David Greene and not transfering for 3 years, so we know he is a good guy, but there is no way he goes in the 1st or 2nd round, i would be suprised if he went first day to be honest, but he could be a gem for someone, maybe us, in the later rounds

TarHeelFinFan
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
His accuracy is a major problem, and we already have one of the least accurate QBs in the NFL.

mbsinmisc
01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Being a Mountaineer fan I watched the game too. His receivers were pretty open, but he is talented. I thought he was a little vertically challenged, is that true? An SEC guy I like a lot is Charlie Whitehurst. Prototype size, big arm, son of an NFL QB.

PhinsOwnU
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
LOL! He's never going to amount to anything at the pro level. He has a strong inaccurate arm. Big Whoop! sounds like Gus.

PhinsOwnU
01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Charlie Whitehurst is in the ACC. He's an underachiever. I wouldn't draft him either.

UGAxFIN
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Being a Mountaineer fan I watched the game too. His receivers were pretty open, but he is talented. I thought he was a little vertically challenged, is that true? An SEC guy I like a lot is Charlie Whitehurst. Prototype size, big arm, son of an NFL QB.

i still can't believe you guys beat us, it broke my heart!

were you at the game??

you guys were loud as hell!!

Dolphin39
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't think Shockley is the QB we want for our Dolphins. As was already pointed out, his accuracy is an issue. Overall, I think we'd be better off getting someone else.

MNFINFAN
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Quite frankly I wasn't all that impressed by Shockley. I had heard plenty about him prior to this game and I felt he was a let down. Though this was the only game of his I saw and obvioulsy a good evaluation needs more time but for a one time audition his play certainly wasn't consistent.

finswin56
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Being a Mountaineer fan I watched the game too. His receivers were pretty open, but he is talented. I thought he was a little vertically challenged, is that true? An SEC guy I like a lot is Charlie Whitehurst. Prototype size, big arm, son of an NFL QB.Pretty sure he is an ACC guy.

I like Shockley's arm, release, and athleticism.

I do not like his accuracy, and in ability to throw over the middle. He's only about 6'0" (maybe 6'1"), and tends change his delivery when throwing over the middle by raising his release point. Problem is when he does this, he usually misses high, and seems to lose touch on the ball.

I wouldn't mind him on the 2nd day as a project.

Titlestarved
01-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I think he's amazing. I think all he needs is good coaching, maybe an older QB to mentor him and he could be something special.

PhinSoldia
01-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Pretty sure he is an ACC guy.

I like Shockley's arm, release, and athleticism.

I do not like his accuracy, and in ability to throw over the middle. He's only about 6'0" (maybe 6'1"), and tends change his delivery when throwing over the middle by raising his release point. Problem is when he does this, he usually misses high, and seems to lose touch on the ball.

I wouldn't mind him on the 2nd day as a project.

wow i was really high on this guy later on in the draft before i heard he is THAT short? i dont know

Motion
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
An SEC guy I like a lot is Charlie Whitehurst. Prototype size, big arm, son of an NFL QB.

Clemson is in the ACC.

Motion
01-06-2006, 12:49 AM
yea i can def see him going in the late 1st or 2nd round :)

I hope we get him and draft a CB in the 1st

:eek: Wow I think you've over rated him a bit. 2nd would be a reach let alone 1st. He's a 3rd at best.

phins1381
01-08-2006, 02:45 AM
well let me start by saying im a life long phin fan and uga fan....im not being bias here when i think shockey would be worth a 2 or 3rd pick for this team...he has improved every year at uga...he is gonna be better then vince young..trust me...this guy doesnt look to run1 st like young.. did any 1 see his comeback vs wv the other nite...he has what it takes to be a rgeat 1..i hope cutler is gone by the time the phins pick in the 1st rd cause it be a mistake to see this guy go some where else

SammySmif
01-08-2006, 03:08 AM
I know you are from UGA, but english is preferred here.

Shockley would be a good pick in rounds 5 or later. They didn't comeback, they lost to WVU. I don't like his decision making, and his arm is so-so.

Motion
01-08-2006, 04:24 AM
I know you are from UGA, but english is preferred here.

Shockley would be a good pick in rounds 5 or later. They didn't comeback, they lost to WVU. I don't like his decision making, and his arm is so-so.

Agreed

finswin56
01-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I really like Shockley's release, and he has a nice arm to go with great athleticism. But, he's only around 6'1" (tops), and has trouble throwing over the middle. When throwing over the middle, he releases the ball very high, which I assume is to counter his lack of height. This leads him to over shoot his target, which is a very dangerous thing to do in the middle of the field. He also tends to scatter his throws.
IMO, he has potential, but is a definite project. And a somewhat limited project due to his height.

General Tso
01-08-2006, 11:44 AM
well let me start by saying im a life long phin fan and uga fan....im not being bias here when i think shockey would be worth a 2 or 3rd pick for this team...he has improved every year at uga...he is gonna be better then vince young..trust me...this guy doesnt look to run1 st like young.. did any 1 see his comeback vs wv the other nite...he has what it takes to be a rgeat 1..i hope cutler is gone by the time the phins pick in the 1st rd cause it be a mistake to see this guy go some where else

No bias? Anyone that really believes Shockley is worth a 2nd round pick has their UGA blinders on.

You say he improved every year? He barely played any QB until his senior year.

You say he's going to be better than Vince Young? Bold prediction. Not sure how a short and inaccurate QB is going to even make it in the NFL.

nolefin
01-08-2006, 12:33 PM
i like dj but cutler is better, i say draft both. we can get dj in the 5th imo.

Nappy Roots
01-08-2006, 01:10 PM

draft both? what the hell for? thats a waiste of a 2nd pick.

footballer
01-08-2006, 05:42 PM
shockley has one season as a astarter under his belt. Day 2 pick.

wazzy
01-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him in at a late round pick but we already have a project in Cleo Lemon so I don't know about the decision. I say we don't even draft him and if he becomes a UFA put him on the practise roster.

Retnuhrace
01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Shockley may even have to do the switching to WR thing, ala Michael Robinson.

Elfpower
01-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Shockley may even have to do the switching to WR thing, ala Michael Robinson. Thats a ridiculous statement, by you saying that it just shows you haven't watched Shockley play. There are aspects of Shockley's game that are better then Vince Youngs...thats a fact. I just don't see where Vince Young succeeds as a QB on the pro level. He doesn't scan the field well and his running style is going to get him killed in the NFL. Young looks to run just as much as Vick did in college but Young runs straight up and is more of a slippery runner b/c of his size rather than a juke machine like Vick. IF Young ends up being as good a Qb as his draft pick dictates, he will at least be a 3 year project and will be less productive then Vick at this point. MARK IT !

finfan54
01-09-2006, 08:08 AM
I really like Shockley's release, and he has a nice arm to go with great athleticism. But, he's only around 6'1" (tops), and has trouble throwing over the middle. When throwing over the middle, he releases the ball very high, which I assume is to counter his lack of height. This leads him to over shoot his target, which is a very dangerous thing to do in the middle of the field. He also tends to scatter his throws.
IMO, he has potential, but is a definite project. And a somewhat limited project due to his height.

this is the only thing that gets me on Shockley. His size. NFL will chew that up unless your doug flutie and even then, you end up a back up.

finfan54
01-09-2006, 08:10 AM

Cutler has the prototype size. Something that seems to be lacking in alot of the other QB's. I get the feeling like the late round steal at QB will be someone who knobody is even talking about.

firemanx
01-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Shockley played @ an SEC school under pressure for 4 yrs, andknows how to be a team player would anyone spend a say 5th or 6th rounder on him. Dont know how highly touted he is, but i wouldnt mind seeing him try to earn a roster spot on this team, and eventually becoming the phins QB

Motion
01-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Shockley played @ an SEC school under pressure for 4 yrs, andknows how to be a team player would anyone spend a say 5th or 6th rounder on him. Dont know how highly touted he is, but i wouldnt mind seeing him try to earn a roster spot on this team, and eventually becoming the phins QB

He's a 1 year starter with limited playing time. He does have some potential but his height hurts him alittle. I could see someone taking him late 3rd or 4th.

Dolfan_Noles
01-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Anyone else think this guy could be a great project QB? His athletic ability is unquestioned. At times this year he looked absolutely brilliant. No question the talent is there. Thoughts on whether or not hes worth putting your future in?

houtz
01-22-2006, 05:33 PM
He could be something to look for in the later rounds. He's a great athlete and I think could be a franchise quarterback down the road.

Dors156
01-22-2006, 05:37 PM
hes a very good QB from what i have seen so far

saves
01-22-2006, 06:07 PM
He got skills, not the size. I wouldn't bank on him as being your future but as a late round project why not, could suprise or at least be a solid backup that adds an extra dimension to your team.

PHINSfan
01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Acording to Gunner the Phins flew in to Mobile Saturday for the Senior Bowl and had interviewed him.

Krause56
01-22-2006, 08:10 PM
if we are going to draft an athletic qb i think that brad smith from missouri is the better route to go if given the chance to play qb and not moved to reciever he has a better arm and is a better athlete

Blackshade
01-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I know DJ personally as he is a frat brother of mine and member of the chapter that I pledged at UGA years back and I get back to Athens for several games every year. He is a good kid and I do think he can play QB in the NFL after a few years of development, there are several backup QBs in the NFL that don't have the talent that DJ does.

A couple of other points, DJ isn't a big guy but he is not very small either. I am 6'6 and he is probably 4 or 5 inches shorter than me so while he would be shorter than optimum he isn't too short. He is put together very well but could probably put on a bit more muscle mass but I don't think he has the frame to carry a lot more and I doubt you want to put too much more weight on the kid anyhow.

BTW whoever said DJ didn't have a good arm I don't know what UGA games you have been watching but he has a very strong arm. He needs to work a little bit on his accuracy but he definitely has very good arm strength. Another point is UGA's receivers this year dropped a ton of catchable passes this year which also affected his completion percentage a good bit.

BigDogsHunt
01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
A couple of other points, DJ isn't a big guy but he is not very small either. I am 6'6 and he is probably 4 or 5 inches shorter than me so while he would be shorter than optimum he isn't too short. He is put together very well but could probably put on a bit more muscle mass but I don't think he has the frame to carry a lot more and I doubt you want to put too much more weight on the kid anyhow.

Thats cool that you know him.....officially he is listed at 6ft and 3/4 of an inch...so just barely over 6ft. Looking forward to watching him in the Senior Bowl to see what he brings to the table.

NawlinsBucFan
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Lets just say that the Jets and Lions take QBs in the first. In all likelyhood, Young, Leinart, Cutler and Quinn would be gone by the 16th pick, so you take a stud Tackle like Eric Wiston (hypothetically). How then would DolFans feel about taking DJ Shockley in the second round? An athletic, mobile QB that definately thinks pass first but can create when nothing is there. He finished the season with a 105.3 (approx) QB rating and threw something like 28 TDs to 5 INTs. He's a senior but I haven't heard much buzz about him with guys like V Young and Mr USC eating up all the press. This could be the steal of the draft if he falls to mid second round which, in all probability, he may.

BTW, it's just a thought so if you don't like the idea, by all means say why but please try not to call my wife any names!:tongue:

Motion
01-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Well for one, Quinn isn't even in the draft and two Shockley would be a HUGE reach in the 2nd round. He is the definition of raw, very little experience, one year starter that didn't even play every game. No way.

Much rather have Croyle or Whitehurst in the 3rd or 4th.

NawlinsBucFan
01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Well for one, Quinn isn't even in the draft and two Shockley would be a HUGE reach in the 2nd round. He is the definition of raw, very little experience, one year starter that didn't even play every game. No way.

Much rather have Croyle or Whitehurst in the 3rd or 4th.

Really? I thought Quinn said he was coming out a couple weeks ago.

And yeah, I know DJ is pretty green, but I think he's a type of player that a lot of teams will think about after first round needs are met.

NorthFloridaFin
01-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I would be all for Shockley in the later rounds, but not the 2nd round, I just feel that is way to early. He is far more accurate than people give him credit for. I feel he will be in the same mold as Donovan McNabb, he just needs some polishing.

FinNasty
01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
If Quinn were coming out... I would be stoaked... but he isnt.

I think the 2nd round is a little high for him. However, I wouldnt mind if we used a pick on him... just preferably a 3rd or lower...

Does anyone know what a college QB rating of 105.3 translates to for an NFL QB rating?

Motion
01-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know what a college QB rating of 105.3 translates to for an NFL QB rating?

Does that really matter? :confused:

FinNasty
01-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Does that really matter? :confused:

I am just curious. Because I am not fimilar with the college QB rating system... so I dont know how good a 105.3 really is. So if someone could give me the NFL equivelent, I would appreciate it...

Motion
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I am just curious. Because I am not fimilar with the college QB rating system... so I dont know how good a 105.3 really is. So if someone could give me the NFL equivelent, I would appreciate it...

oh okay. sorry wasn't trying to be rude. I thought you were going somewhere else with that.

VManis
01-24-2006, 02:12 PM
If Quinn were coming out... I would be stoaked... but he isnt.

I think the 2nd round is a little high for him. However, I wouldnt mind if we used a pick on him... just preferably a 3rd or lower...

You can't translate one to the other like you do inches to cm because the two formulas use different variables. But if you take his stats for his senior season and plug them into the NFL formula you get a rating of 100.6. BTW his college passer rating was 148.3 not 105.3 which would actually be awful for college. 148.3 on the other hand if pretty respectable. Nevertheless I don't think it means much though since he wasn't playing against NFL talent.

And for those who are wondering what the differences in the two formulas are check out this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

And just for the record I'm not some geek who just spent hours calculating those ratings. I cheated and plugged his stats into this website. ;)

http://www.primecomputing.com/

dominizzo
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Id rather draft Omar JAcobs in the 2nd Rd

NawlinsBucFan
01-24-2006, 02:43 PM
You can't translate one to the other like you do inches to cm because the two formulas use different variables. But if you take his stats for his senior season and plug them into the NFL formula you get a rating of 100.6. BTW his college passer rating was 148.3 not 105.3 which would actually be awful for college. 148.3 on the other hand if pretty respectable. Nevertheless I don't think it means much though since he wasn't playing against NFL talent.

And for those who are wondering what the differences in the two formulas are check out this article:

And just for the record I'm not some geek who just spent hours calculating those ratings. I cheated and plugged his stats into this website. ;)

I got his passer rating and his Sportsline Player rating mixed up there. I stand corrected.......again.:shakeno:

So the concensus seems to be DJ is a cool pick for draft day #2. It will be interesting to see if any teams take a shot at him, or if the Maurice Clarrett gamble by the Broncos last season will scare all the NFL GMs into playing it straight this year.

FinNasty
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
oh okay. sorry wasn't trying to be rude. I thought you were going somewhere else with that.

its aight... :tongue:

FinNasty
01-24-2006, 02:57 PM

thanks... ya I know they dont directly translate... but I was just looking for more of a ballpark kinda number... I appreciate it...

AUFinFan
01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
See the report below from the Senior Bowl. What do you think?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fe...s/south124.html (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fe...s/south124.html)

Now for the sightings and observations. It was real refreshing to see Bill Belichick in attendance. Even though he is a Hall of Famer and at the pinnacle of his profession he is still working hard and doing the little things while some head coaches don't even bother to come to Mobile. There is a reason this guy wins so many Super Bowls. The Cleveland Browns paid a lot of attention to Marcus McNeill and had him cornered for a very long time, while also speaking with Ryan Cook, Roman Harper, Kelly Jennings, Kamerion Wimbley, Freddie Roach, and DeMario Minter. Carolina was active once again and I saw them talking to Darrell Hackney, Albert Toeina, Andre Hall, Cedric Griffin, and Greg Blue. Eric Winston was seen chatting with the Jets and Chargers, Gerris Wilkerson of Georgia Tech talked to Carolina and Philly and Tampa Bay spoke with Mark Anderson (at length) and Thomas Howard. Travis Williams was pretty popular, drawing attention from Baltimore, Cincinnati and the Giants, Marcedes Lewis spoke with San Diego, D.J. Shockley with Miami and the Jets mingled with Max Jean-Gilles and Jesse Mahelona. Kansas City spoke with Jon Scott and DeMario Minter for a bit while the Redskins were seen with Tim Jennings and the Chargers with Kamerion Wimbley and Max-Jean Gilles. The most popular player I have seen yet though is Manny Lawson, who had a huge group around him at all times that included the likes of Kansas City, Cleveland, Carolina, Baltimore and San Diego. Lawson also sounded like a great kid and was very polite and well spoken. As always don't take these observations as locks that these teams are going to take the players, but they can sometimes give indications as to which positions they might be focusing on. All in all this was probably the most active practice yet and was a lot of fun to watch and observe. (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south124.html)

FinFan133
01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I think he could be a great mid-late round steal

kitt23
01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
i dont like him at all, i didnt like him when i watched him a few games this season. im more impressed with croyle and cutler

datruth55
01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
We talked to all the QB's with the exception of Michael Robinson. It's all part of the process. 49ers talked with Cutler. Do you think they're really gonna take Cutler after spending their #1 overall pick on Alex Smith last year?

There's nothing to garner from who the coaches talk to in the Senior Bowl because they're not going to give away any of their intentions come draft day.

Scuba Steve 13
01-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks man good stuff:dolphins: go fins

BlueFin
01-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I hope not, he really doesn't have the goods to be an NFL qb.

bigmiamifan
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I thought I read something about DJ and Miami a few days ago at the Senior Bowl. I trust Saban, so I'll be excited if he drafted DJ's grandma.

FinFan133
01-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I hope not, he really doesn't have the goods to be an NFL qb.

How do you know lol?...I notice you have a Cutler pic in your sig he may not have the goods either...No1 really knows many great college players have been flops and many average ones have been stars...Thats y I wouldnt mind drafting him espically since we wont get some1 like Young or Leinart or prob Cutler or Croyle either

tmny99
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
First off, I think DJ has been having a very subpar week in Mobile thus far, but I would still love for the Phins to take him in a late round as a project. Being in Athens for seven years (undergrad and grad), I got a chance to see Shockley through his recruitment and then to his eventual taking over the team. He was a highly touted star that could have gone anywhere, but he decided to come to Georgia. In his freshman year, David Greene was the starting QB but not by much. In fact, Green and Shockley were set to split snaps in our game against Houston, but then the tragedy of September 11 got the game postponed and Shockley was subsequently red shirted. That year David Greene took the job by the horns and Shockley was his backup for the next three years. During this time, he could've transferred, but he gutted it out and stay. He chose the team over the individual. The only year he started, he had one of the single greatest seasons for a QB in Georgia History. You better believe that a team will take a chance on him just because of his display of character and leadership. I think that team should us.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Miami has had interviews with every single QB at the Senior Bowl, with the exception of wannabe QB Michael Robinson, who will be switching to WR in the NFL.

Disgustipate
01-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Apparently Miami interviewed all but one QB at the Senior Bowl.

dahlmarino
01-26-2006, 04:15 PM
They also cornered Whitehurst the day before. Why no thread on him?

LarryFinFan
01-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Saban will be talking to all the QBs since its an area of need. At any rate, you have to take advantage of talking with these guys when you have them all together like this. This is just the business of preparing your football team for the draft. Even if we had a franchise QB, there'd be some contact with them...

Miami_Dolphins
01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Finally, maybe saban will give a QB with talent a chance. Give him one year with mcnair and he's your future. Him or darrell hackney...

Motion
01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Finally, maybe saban will give a QB with talent a chance. Give him one year with mcnair and he's your future. Him or darrell hackney...

:shakeno: Neither will be anything more than backups.

rainmaker1313
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I thought I read something about DJ and Miami a few days ago at the Senior Bowl. I trust Saban, so I'll be excited if he drafted DJ's grandma.

now why cant everyone be like you???? Saban is the coach, not us, you tell them!!!

Miami_Dolphins
01-26-2006, 04:57 PM
:shakeno: Neither will be anything more than backups.

But cutler is the next marino my bad...:shakeno:

pablo13
01-26-2006, 04:57 PM
hey it couldn't hurt, especially if we could get him in the 3rd round or later. We need to evolve to a QB that could scrable when needed.

Motion
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
But cutler is the next marino my bad...:shakeno:

I've never and would never compare anyone to Marino.

Miami_Dolphins
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I've never and would never compare anyone to Marino.

its meant to emphasize your bias. Shockley or Hackney can be just as good as Cutler, if not better. Unless you can see the future, i dont think you are one to judge how players will turn out,.

Motion
01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
its meant to emphasize your bias. Shockley or Hackney can be just as good as Cutler, if not better. Unless you can see the future, i dont think you are one to judge how players will turn out,.

ANd what exactly are you doing?

I have no "bias". Cutler is a great prospect, I want him in Miami, plain and simple. Fact is, Cutler has more potential than both of them. Thats all I'm saying.

SMadison29
01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
We have talked to or been seen with every player at the Senior Bowl. There's no restrictions on who you talk to or how long at the Senior Bowl which is why it is so heavily scouted. At the combine teams are only allowed to interview 20 players (though it may be 25), anyhow it is very limiting.

Dors156
01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
i watched him in the sugar bowl and was impressed but id rather draft whitehurst.

s3an8
01-26-2006, 05:45 PM
nooo .........reggie mcneal!!!!!!!!!!!!

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 06:01 PM
My choices are Jay Cutler, Brodie Croyle, Reggie McNeal, and Charlie Whitehurst for Day 1...in that order. For Day 2 I would like Barrick Nealy, Bruce Gradkowski, or Darrell Hackney...in that order.

Hellion
01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Every time a person from the staff so much as looks at a player this week it will turn into one of these type of threads.
It's a process, the Fins along with 31 other teams are trying to feel out who they want to scout at the combine. No reason to speculate at this point.

FireInTheNole
01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
What about Brandon Jacobs?

Coral Reefer
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
See the report below from the Senior Bowl. What do you think?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fe...s/south124.html (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fe...s/south124.html)

Now for the sightings and observations. It was real refreshing to see Bill Belichick in attendance. Even though he is a Hall of Famer and at the pinnacle of his profession he is still working hard and doing the little things while some head coaches don't even bother to come to Mobile. There is a reason this guy wins so many Super Bowls. The Cleveland Browns paid a lot of attention to Marcus McNeill and had him cornered for a very long time, while also speaking with Ryan Cook, Roman Harper, Kelly Jennings, Kamerion Wimbley, Freddie Roach, and DeMario Minter. Carolina was active once again and I saw them talking to Darrell Hackney, Albert Toeina, Andre Hall, Cedric Griffin, and Greg Blue. Eric Winston was seen chatting with the Jets and Chargers, Gerris Wilkerson of Georgia Tech talked to Carolina and Philly and Tampa Bay spoke with Mark Anderson (at length) and Thomas Howard. Travis Williams was pretty popular, drawing attention from Baltimore, Cincinnati and the Giants, Marcedes Lewis spoke with San Diego, D.J. Shockley with Miami and the Jets mingled with Max Jean-Gilles and Jesse Mahelona. Kansas City spoke with Jon Scott and DeMario Minter for a bit while the Redskins were seen with Tim Jennings and the Chargers with Kamerion Wimbley and Max-Jean Gilles. The most popular player I have seen yet though is Manny Lawson, who had a huge group around him at all times that included the likes of Kansas City, Cleveland, Carolina, Baltimore and San Diego. Lawson also sounded like a great kid and was very polite and well spoken. As always don't take these observations as locks that these teams are going to take the players, but they can sometimes give indications as to which positions they might be focusing on. All in all this was probably the most active practice yet and was a lot of fun to watch and observe. (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south124.html)

The Phins will be interviewing every QB that has any kind of potential at all. It dosen't mean their specifically interested in drafting that guy yet. I can see a thread being made every time we interview a QB.

CD13
01-27-2006, 07:28 AM
My choices are Jay Cutler, Brodie Croyle, Reggie McNeal, and Charlie Whitehurst for Day 1...in that order. For Day 2 I would like Barrick Nealy, Bruce Gradkowski, or Darrell Hackney...in that order.

and if Vince Young fell ?