PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate the way consoles are ruining PC games?

Agua
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I DEFINITELY do. Not only are popular titles not being released for PC games, commonly the ones which are are a port of a console game and controls are dumbed down to account for the limitations of console controllers.

I get the feeling this situation is only going to get worse. Damned you x-box (a platform which has NEVER been profitable for MSFT, btw).

Majpain
01-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Eh there are 2 games I'm looking forward to on the PC.Hellgate london and Titan Quest.Btw Sports games are best played on Consoles.

TrueDolFan
01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
There's a reason why some "popular" games are not released for PC - nobody buys PC games! Everybody downloads them from the internet for free. Companies don't want to put money into releasing a game for the PC, and then sell only a miniscule amount of games. Pirates are ruining the PC market.

Console systems have always been, and always will be, the best way to play video games. I, personally, despise FPS and RTS games, so you can see why I say PC games suck - because that's about all there is on the PC. Every other genre of game is done far better on console. I'll take Zelda any day over anything for PC.

dominizzo
01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Eh there are 2 games I'm looking forward to on the PC.Hellgate london and Titan Quest.Btw Sports games are best played on Consoles.

agreee

K-train
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
NFSMW for PC is piff

mor911
01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
The Mor's been saying it... It's long read, but check out

The Mor's take on gaming.... (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=111415)

It's not a knock against PC games (I have, and play, a lot of them). I just honesly believe that there will not be enough of a market in PC games in the next 10-15 years to be profitable.

AquaInferno
01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Consoles are the most comfortable, easy, universal way to play games. Controllers = same hardware = same, with consistancies like that bugs and problems go down. PC's have their uses, games arent a top one.

finfansince72
01-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I dont know, the online gaming is getting better on consoles but I still like the mods for fps and still play online role playing games all the time. Consoles are great, I play both, as do most people. I dont know where the doom and gloom is coming from, console and PC games are both awesome and not going anywhere.

Majpain
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm not much of a MMORPG fan but I love Shooters and stratgey games on the pc and Action RPG.There are some games that are ment to be played on the pc and there are some that are not.Why PC gaming dominated the market its now giving up its title just because it cost 1,000's dollars to upgrade a pc when you can just get a next gen console for half that amount.

Consoles are the most comfortable, easy, universal way to play games. Controllers = same hardware = same, with consistancies like that bugs and problems go down. PC's have their uses, games arent a top one.

While it is true some game feel better with a controller (Sports games,fighters,ect) But on the PC it has consoles beat on most areas. (FPS,RPG's,MMORPG,stratgey,ect)

but saying a pc is not ment for gaming is a laugh.HL2,Civ 4,Guild wars,World of warcraft,CS,UT2k4,Aoe3.The list goes on and on.

mor911
01-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm not much of a MMORPG fan but I love Shooters and stratgey games on the pc and Action RPG.There are some games that are ment to be played on the pc and there are some that are not.Why PC gaming dominated the market its now giving up its title just because it cost 1,000's dollars to upgrade a pc when you can just get a next gen console for half that amount.

While it is true some game feel better with a controller (Sports games,fighters,ect) But on the PC it has consoles beat on most areas. (FPS,RPG's,MMORPG,stratgey,ect)

but saying a pc is not ment for gaming is a laugh.HL2,Civ 4,Guild wars,World of warcraft,CS,UT2k4,Aoe3.The list goes on and on.
It's not that PC's weren't meant for gaming. It's that PC gaming is becoming less and less profitable. PC games are BY FAR the easiest games to pirate. The newer high profile games (meaning the ones that may actually sell) require massive computing power that costs thousands of dollars to have the game run properly.

Little by little things that were once PC-only features (For example, custom maps, mods, and skins) are being made available for consoles. It won't be long before console games start being shipped with the game (duh) and some kind of dev tools to build custom content.

Add to that, your HDTV is a hell of a lot better a viewing screen for games than even the most expensive of monitors. PC extremists will go on abourt how some games can't be played w/out a mouse, and that's what USB ports are for.

I honestly can't see PC games lasting forever. I'm an avid PC gamer and play about 50% PC games and 50% consoles.

The plus about developing for the PC, is that there are no console lisencing fees to make a PC game. But, with PC games being so easy to rip off, the chances of PC exclusive games will drop significantly... ESPECIALLY when RTS and SIM games become more regular on consoles.

In the future the PC market will be limited to nothing more than console ports just to get the game on as many platforms as possible to raise sales.

:mor911:

Majpain
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't think pc gaming will die but I think it will lose its popularity.Also some games require CD keys to play on multiplayer.

mor911
01-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't think pc gaming will die but I think it will lose its popularity.Also some games require CD keys to play on multiplayer.
Losing popularity equals losing sales. Game developement is costing millions of dollars these days. Companies are not going to spend millions of dollars to develope a game for a platform that isn't "popular".

Besides MMO's (which is the biggest rip off since Water World), CD-Keys are very easy to bypass, even to play online (not as easy as offline obviously).

Slappy8800
01-11-2006, 02:56 AM
arent newer more powerful HD computers on the way? they are supposed to make the next gen vg's look like nintendo

Motion
01-11-2006, 06:31 AM
NFSMW for PC is piff

piff?

CharlestonPhan
01-14-2006, 12:51 AM
but graphics wise PC's are still leaps ahead, arent they??? people are paying 400 bucks for an XBox 360, and my 4 year old PC with a 128m 3D card pushes Madden, Battlefront 2, and Call of Duty 2 with no probs... plus my kids Clifford and MIckey Mouse learning software, etc.

and i can do lots more with the PC; run two businesses, store thousands of digital images and videos, MP3, etc...

i guess the piracy issue does legitimize why companies are starting to back off on producing PC versions. it seemed this year though that a significant amount of "popular titles" were available for PC at Christmas, so theres still hope. but i can remember that at Best Buy a couple years ago, there were aisles and aisles of PC games, and now; 2 aisles.

mor911
01-14-2006, 01:06 AM
but graphics wise PC's are still leaps ahead, arent they??? people are paying 400 bucks for an XBox 360, and my 4 year old PC with a 128m 3D card pushes Madden, Battlefront 2, and Call of Duty 2 with no probs... plus my kids Clifford and MIckey Mouse learning software, etc.

and i can do lots more with the PC; run two businesses, store thousands of digital images and videos, MP3, etc...

i guess the piracy issue does legitimize why companies are starting to back off on producing PC versions. it seemed this year though that a significant amount of "popular titles" were available for PC at Christmas, so theres still hope. but i can remember that at Best Buy a couple years ago, there were aisles and aisles of PC games, and now; 2 aisles.
Absolutely! The PC isn't gone, nor will it be gone for a long time. I'm just saying that from a business perspective it's becoming less and less profitable to make games primarily for the PC.

Just picture yourself as a game developer. You can spend 2 million dollars to make a new game. Would you rather put your game out for the PS2 (15+ million PS2 installed in homes) or put out on PC and hope to sell 100,000 units... And that's if it's a hit. You make some profit, but was it worth it? The PS version would have sold 1-2 million units (more if it's a great game).

Granted, at this stage some games just aren't conole friendly (RTS, and Sims). But the time will come when the PC will only have console ports.