PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Eric Winston

LostInPatsLand
12-11-2005, 10:20 PM
According to Pro Football Weekly, November 23, 2005,

Winston has not been the same since blowing out his knee last year and has not looked like the fluid athlete he was prior to the injury, which has adversely affected his draft stock and could potentially keep him out of the first round, depending how he performs in postseason workouts.

Source: PFW's College Notes (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/College+Football/College+Notes/2005/notes112305.htm)

Winston is also off of Kiper's big board.

This might be good news for the Fins. It can take two years for a player to come back fully from an ACL injury. Winston was a beast before and has not recovered yet. He could fall to us in the 2nd, and that could be a steal.

jnewmant
12-11-2005, 10:46 PM
yes it could, but i think somebody else will look his way before he gets to us even if he does fall into the second especially if we continue to roll this season like we have been.

SMadison29
12-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Winston has been off Kiper's big board for a couple months now & he's not even on his top 5 of senior OTs. That said everyone knows Winston hasn't been completely healthy all year so Winston could still probably go in the 20s of the draft.

kastofsna120
12-12-2005, 01:15 AM
no news here...IMO his stock started to fall last year, when his stock started out too high to begin with

Buddwalk
12-12-2005, 01:32 AM
mel kiper is the biggest draft moron i've ever seen in my life of course thats my opinion but Eric Winston is the #2 or #3 best tackle in this draft and probobly one of only 3 capable of playing LT in the nfl. He'll have a huge combine, and his stock will be where it should be in time for the draft. But wouldnt that be a steal for miami to grab him in the 2nd ;)

kastofsna120
12-12-2005, 01:52 AM
mel kiper is the biggest draft moron i've ever seen in my life of course thats my opinion
you base this on him being right more than just about anyone?

Phishstix
12-12-2005, 01:55 AM
yea, a good workout will get him back into the 1st, but he has regressed this year. 2 years ago, he was able to handle speed rushers on his own, which is why a lot of scouts liked him. since he has returned from injury, he doesn't have the same agility to stay w/ speed rushers and um has had to chip speed rushers w/ rb's and te's. that said, he'd be a steal in the 2nd.

dominizzo
12-12-2005, 04:32 AM
Id rather get MArcus Mcneill

Buddwalk
12-12-2005, 09:31 AM

umm actually mel kiper hasnt picked more then 15 first round picks correct like ever...so how can he be right more than anyone. He just works for espn, thats all his name is mentioned above others.

Alex44
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM

man if I had

lets see 7 rounds times 32 picks........

I could get some right to

Philter25
12-12-2005, 10:38 AM
mel kiper is the biggest draft moron i've ever seen in my life of course thats my opinion

And this is coming from a guy whos mock draft included (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=112700):

*Titans trade #5 overall and Titans 2nd round pick to Houston for there #1 overall pick

:lol: I dont think Kiper could have even pulled that trade outta his arse.

Now Im not calling myself perfect, although I disagree with draft people all the time, I wouldnt call anyone a moron if I posted something like that.

Buddwalk
12-12-2005, 10:55 AM
And this is coming from a guy whos mock draft included (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=112700):

:lol: I dont think Kiper could have even pulled that trade outta his arse.

Now Im not calling myself perfect, although I disagree with draft people all the time, I wouldnt call anyone a moron if I posted something like that.

easiar to insult a mock draft then come up with one of your own...plus im not getting paid to do this just out of the goodness of my heart ;)

Also i dont know where you've been but the news on the streets is houston doesnt want that 1st overall pick and there gonna trade it away, look for the 49ers to trade up probobly finishing 2nd overall having to give up a 1st,3rd and a 2007 1st to make the jump probobly. Then the texans would be in prime position to either trade down once again or take Dbrick or Leinart whoever they seem to want more

Philter25
12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
easiar to insult a mock draft then come up with one of your own...plus im not getting paid to do this just out of the goodness of my heart ;)

Also i dont know where you've been but the news on the streets is houston doesnt want that 1st overall pick and there gonna trade it away, look for the 49ers to trade up probobly finishing 2nd overall having to give up a 1st,3rd and a 2007 1st to make the jump probobly. Then the texans would be in prime position to either trade down once again or take Dbrick or Leinart whoever they seem to want more

I'll make my own mock once the season is over and all the draft positions are set. Its a waste of my time to make a new one every week. Its good discussion when people make mocks every week, however I doubt my boss would like to come into my office with draft sheets all over my desk and me thinking about every pick for a good 5 minutes and reviewing teams rosters.

Im well aware Houston would like to trade out of the top spot...... you obviously didnt read your Mock Draft post where I pretty much clearly explained why your proposed trade was absolutely horrible value for Houston. Jnewmatt even posted the draft chart for you.

My point was you shouldnt be calling Kiper a moron when IMO you made a huge error in your very own mock. Like I said, im not perfect in analyzing either, but if I was making major mistakes I wouldnt be calling anyone else a moron.

SMadison29
12-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Id rather get MArcus Mcneill

Why? He's a RT, he can't play LT in the pros.

SMadison29
12-13-2005, 01:05 AM

When it comes to Kiper's mock draft the week before the draft the only person consistently better than him is Scott Wright. Kiper has more access than anyone to NFL scouts & team front offices, that's why he's one of the most (if not the most) reliable draft guru out there, but over the next few months his draft board will be very volatile as usual.

Buddwalk
12-13-2005, 01:15 AM
I'll make my own mock once the season is over and all the draft positions are set. Its a waste of my time to make a new one every week. Its good discussion when people make mocks every week, however I doubt my boss would like to come into my office with draft sheets all over my desk and me thinking about every pick for a good 5 minutes and reviewing teams rosters.

Im well aware Houston would like to trade out of the top spot...... you obviously didnt read your Mock Draft post where I pretty much clearly explained why your proposed trade was absolutely horrible value for Houston. Jnewmatt even posted the draft chart for you.

My point was you shouldnt be calling Kiper a moron when IMO you made a huge error in your very own mock. Like I said, im not perfect in analyzing either, but if I was making major mistakes I wouldnt be calling anyone else a moron.

w/e man but it all depends...those draft charts never work on draft day so i dont even know why there there. Member that year in 2001 SD traded 1st overall down to Atlanta at #5 overall just for Tim Dwight. So dont tell me it couldnt happen ;)

SMadison29
12-13-2005, 01:37 AM
w/e man but it all depends...those draft charts never work on draft day so i dont even know why there there. Member that year in 2001 SD traded 1st overall down to Atlanta at #5 overall just for Tim Dwight. So dont tell me it couldnt happen ;)

Actually there was more to that trade than that. San Diego got pick #5, a 2002 2nd rounder (which was Reche Caldwell), & Tim Dwight. Atlanta got #1.

If the Texans do wind up with the #1 overall pick they're gonna rake it in the way San Diego did in the Giants trade.

MiamiDolphins34
01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Ive seen Scott in a video clip and i was impressed.Winston injured his knee pretty bad too.

phins1381
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
im not a fan on either considering winston is from the U....those ol from the U havent worked out oh so well for us...ala v, carey

d-day
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
i would love to see more of the u on our dolphins team - but i would especially love it, if any future players from the u, ended up working out better for us...

Retnuhrace
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Right now, Jon Scott is a better prospect than Eric Winston. I'd take Scott if he were there at 16. Winston, after the season that he had this year, may be a reach at 16.

Danny
01-09-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure but I think Nick will draft a LT on day one and I'll be happy about that.

Ozzy rules!!

madmike
01-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Eric Winston In The 2nd Rd

caneaddict
01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I would take Winston Justice FAR ahead of either of those guys.

Having said that, if Justice was gone I would be happy with Jonothan Scott. I don't want Eric Winston in the 1st round and would only want him in the 2nd if Houck felt strongly that his senior year was an aberration because he wasn't fully healed.

dominizzo
01-10-2006, 05:04 AM
JOn Scott

Motion
01-10-2006, 05:15 AM
I would take Winston Justice FAR ahead of either of those guys.

Having said that, if Justice was gone I would be happy with Jonothan Scott. I don't want Eric Winston in the 1st round and would only want him in the 2nd if Houck felt strongly that his senior year was an aberration because he wasn't fully healed.

I agree

Regan21286
01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
im not a fan on either considering winston is from the U....those ol from the U havent worked out oh so well for us...ala v, carey

Carey's been improving and is arguably the best OT on our roster. Winston would be fine but I'd prefer Jonathan Scott if we have to draft in the 1st round. Winston would be a decent 2nd-3rd rounder though.

TotoreMexico
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Scott is better

ChambersWI
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
as I've been saying. Winston has had a terrible year. The only reason he made All-American is his name.

Besides, we have bigger needs in the 1st than LTs, both of whom are late 1sts at best right now

Buffalo Sucks
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Just checking out a mock (http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft_2.htm) that has us taking Canes' OT Eric Winston in the first.

Is he really a possibility that high? I thought his stick had slipped. I know watching him this year he wasn't as good as before his injury.

dominizzo
01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Can u say Jon Scotttttttt

South Florida
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Last year I never would have dreamed of us having a shot at him at 16.

He will catapult with his 40 time.

I'd take him in a second, but look for him to sneak up close to D'Brickashaw's tail.

Awsi Dooger
01-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Last year I never would have dreamed of us having a shot at him at 16.

He will catapult with his 40 time.

I'd take him in a second, but look for him to sneak up close to D'Brickashaw's tail.

I like Winston but he's not the freak athlete D'Brick is. That guy plays so light on his feet you think he can't be strong enough until you watch a few plays. He's the very rare 300+ pounder who moves around like an OLB.

Before the 2004 knee injury against Ga Tech, Winston was a dominant lineman. He was rounding back into form late last season but until I watched a tape of the 2004 opener against FSU last week I didn't realize how far the injury set back Winston. He was never that nimble or explosive in 2005.

Nappy Roots
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I like Winston but he's not the freak athlete D'Brick is. That guy plays so light on his feet you think he can't be strong enough until you watch a few plays. He's the very rare 300+ pounder who moves around like an OLB.

Before the 2004 knee injury against Ga Tech, Winston was a dominant lineman. He was rounding back into form late last season but until I watched a tape of the 2004 opener against FSU last week I didn't realize how far the injury set back Winston. He was never that nimble or explosive in 2005.

yea i said the same thing a while back. Eric Moore dominated winston the entire game.

amir7
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
according to mel kiper, eric winston could drop to the third or 4th round. whats he smoking, i know he had an injury, but theres no way he falls that far

Motion
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow, He is a bit over rated IMO but I doubt he'll fall that far.

Frank B
01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't put a whole lot of stock in Kiper's opinions. Winston would have to absolutely lay an egg to drop that far. The only other left tackle prospect that's playing better is Ferguson.

I say Winston goes in the 2nd round. Whatever team nabs him will give him a "redshirt" rookie year to fully rehab his knee, work on lateral quickness, and bulk up another 15 pounds.

Nappy Roots
01-24-2006, 04:46 PM
winston has extremely short arms, small hands, under weight, not all that strong, and a knee that over a year later might not be fully recovered. . . . . . . .you never know about a player with so many problems.

Jaj
01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
He's basically Eric Steinbach, he'll drop to the top 2nd at worst.

Nappy Roots
01-24-2006, 04:50 PM
He's basically Eric Steinbach, he'll drop to the top 2nd at worst.

Difference is steinbach is a Gaurd, where small arms, small hands, and knee injury affecting movement wouldnt matter much.

dm416
01-24-2006, 04:54 PM
No way, I doubt he'll even fall out of the 1st round

ChambersWI
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
as I've been saying for awhile, Winston is one of the most overrated players in the draft, and was not deserving of 1st team All-American this year.

Will he fall to the 2nd day? doubtful, but I could see him fall to the early 3rd at worse.

If he gets into the first, it will be late. And it will be because A)Colledge and Trueblood did not improve their stocks and B)McNeil's injury concerns are worse than expected (rumor down in Mobile, is he could plummet down boards)

and as Mentioned earlier, the difference between Steinbach and Winston are one is a OG and the other an OT. A tackle with injury concerns will fall a lot farther than a guard. Plus, for the most part, guards don't normally go that high anyway.

dominizzo
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
woow mabey we can get winston on the 3rd

ChambersWI
01-24-2006, 05:41 PM
woow mabey we can get winston on the 3rd

NHT

Not Houck's Type

Pink_Dove
01-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I normally trust Kiper but he seems way off base with this statement.
I just finished watching the Senior Bowl practice on NFL Network and Terry Bradway, the Jets GM, mentioned Eric Winston as a player who was impressive during the day.

Dolfan_Noles
01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Ive seen several other sites projecting him in the 3-4th...I wouldnt be surprised at all to at least see him fall to us in the 2nd at this point. I actually found that Kiper was VERY accurate last year...

nolefin
01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I have read some reports saying that winston might fall to the 2nd round, do you think we could get him in the 2nd? that would be a steal imo.

daniel3
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
nolefin, dolphins may recruit wife beaters, but we draw the line at rapists (ok alleged rapists). Oh and wrt Winston, I think if he has a good senior bowl he'll stay in the first round.

wish list 06' draft
1st-Jay cutler-qb-vandy
2nd-Trueblood-ot-boston college
3rd-A.J nicholson-lb-fsu
4th-pat watkins-fs-fsu
6th-DJ shockley-qb-georgia
7th-willie reid-wr/kr/pr-fsu

Motion
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
nolefin, dolphins may recruit wife beaters, but we draw the line at rapists. Oh and I think if he has a good senior bowl he'll stay in the first round.

:confused: I think your confused. Not even close to the same person.

Spicy Henne
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
The rapist thing was about AJ Nicholson, not Winston. As for Winston, I think he will fall to the second for some reason. Apparently his Senior Bowl practices have been really up and down so far...couple that with a major knee injury and a strong, strong tackle class and I think he's out of the first.
Still a long ways to go, but that's how I see it right now.

sports24/7
01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
The way things look now Winston may fall even farther than that. If he has a good Senior Bowl game and good combine/pro day he could improve his stock, but in a tackle class as good as this one, his rusty play this year along with the injury will more than likely keep him out of the first.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
The buzz behind Winston's drop is not only linked to his knee...and his up and down Senior Bowl. He measured in with a "short" 32.25 inch reach at the Senior Bowl. That is not a good reach at all. His hands are also very small for an OT at 9.125 inches (my hands are 9.5 inches, and I'm 5'10"). Just to give you an idea, he's got the 2nd worst reach among OL at the Senior Bowl (worst is Nick Mangold...the center) and he's got the smallest hands among OL at the Senior Bowl.

Keep in mind that reach was one of two most important attributes that Houck has cited in the past when he said a guy needs to have great reach or good feet and if he's got both he's special. Winston has good feet, and they should get better as he continues to recover from the knee injury...but the small reach means I don't expect to see him drafted until Round 2, maybe even Round 3.