PDA

View Full Version : Should be a good game...

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 01:47 PM
Hey Dolphins Fans!! Great game last night. You guys really dominated the colts. So how do all of you see the match up against my 49ers going this week?? I think you guys definitely have the emotional advantage after the niners got spanked by the Rams. I like how the niners defense matches up against your offense and I think our offense versus your defense will be a real battle. Probably what will determine the outcome will be Terrell Owens versus the quality secondary that you guys have. Look forward to talking to all of you throughout this week!!!

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 01:50 PM
I would think that the 9ers 2ndary vs. D WR is bigger factor since Fins have the best all-around 2ndary in the league and SF can pass. But if Jay can continue to pick on weaker 2 or 3 or 4 CBs, we will be able to keep the formula that has us at 9-3 going: which is 3rd down efficiency.

Flyin11
12-11-2001, 01:51 PM
Should defiently be a good one! ;) To me..I think this is a Super Bowl type of game :eek: I know I will be biting my nails off :p

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 01:52 PM
That's true. The Rams were able to exploit the niners weakness at the nickel and dime back position. The 49ers, due to injuries, and lack of talent just don't have anyone that can cover a good 4th or 5th wide receiver. Who is the number 4 or 5 guy right now for you guys??

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Dedrick Ward is the #4 WR, but you better have a big CB to cover Gadsden and 2 DBs to cover Chambers and then another solid DB to cover Mcknight. Lastly, Minor - our rookie 3rd down led the team in yards receiving last night and made a huge 27 yard catch in traffic to setup the 1st TD. In another words, we got depth.:D

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 01:56 PM
expect:

Jason Webster at 5'9" to get picked on

Flyin11
12-11-2001, 01:59 PM
I don't know much about stats..but after what I saw with Chambers, Minor and even Mcknight...I know these are some true bad asses! In the next 3-4 yrs...I think we are going to be rockin the NFL cause Chambers and Mcknight are the receivers that we have missed since Duper and Clayton left...Minor is looking more like Emmitt Smith but faster :eek: So, I say..beware of these guys..cause if they use there athletic potential..It's going to be very interesting come Sun :p ;)

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:01 PM
I think the niners will probably play zone against you guys since the one on one match ups aren't the favorable for them. Except for any of your guys against Ahmed Plummer. He's turning into a premier corner back for the niners. Anyways, they used the zone scheme last week against the rams and Kurt Warner was held to under 300 yards and the Rams were held to under 30 points. Of course, what killed them was the 4th wide receiver, Ricky Proehl. I think they will use Schulters and Bronson to help out with your giants, Gadsden and Chambers. That's true Webster is only 5'9" but don't underestimate him. He is a very good cover man. He uses his speed and body position well. The key for Fiedler will be whether or not he can put it up high enough to get it over his head.

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:06 PM
The Fins have been real patient on O so a zone will not bother us. Shutting down the Fins running game will be the key. Ward started for the Jets last year so he's a awesome #4 guy.

Flyin11
12-11-2001, 02:06 PM
I think in the end it will come down to 2 key points again as usual in big games...#1 Our defensive play and #2 the turnovers. If Jay continues to stay out of trouble and we produce off any turnovers we are givin we will be able to control the outcome..:cool:

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Who is your starting offensive tackles right now?? If I remember right from last nights game you guys have some injuries there. Another matchup may be Andre Carter versus your right tackle. Carter got two sacks against Orlando Pace of the Rams, a pretty good player. Also, the niners like to put Julien Petersen, a linebacker, on the other side and rush with him in passing situations. Both of those guys are speed rushers, not power guys. Just curious what that match up is going to look like...

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Flyin11
I think in the end it will come down to 2 key points again as usual in big games...#1 Our defensive play and #2 the turnovers. If Jay continues to stay out of trouble and we produce off any turnovers we are givin we will be able to control the outcome..:cool:
Exactly:
[list=1]
Jay m/b patient and continue to avoid mistake
The D must not let SF get the running game going / make the SF O be 1-dimensional
[/list=1]

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ninerfan
Who is your starting offensive tackles right now?? If I remember right from last nights game you guys have some injuries there. Another matchup may be Andre Carter versus your right tackle. Carter got two sacks against Orlando Pace of the Rams, a pretty good player. Also, the niners like to put Julien Petersen, a linebacker, on the other side and rush with him in passing situations. Both of those guys are speed rushers, not power guys. Just curious what that match up is going to look like...

RT Todd Wade and LT Spenser Folau. Wade is good run blocking and sometimes slower pass blocked so that is a key matchup ag. Carter; and Folau has been bad on the run, but solid on the pass. Jay does not get sacked much - he's a lot like Garcia about moving away from the rush with scrambles and roll outs.

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:19 PM
Yeah, that could be a key match up with Wade and Carter. It will almost be a race...will Carter beat Wade and get to Fiedler faster than Fiedler can work through his progressions and find that #3 or #4 receiver where the 'phins have the mismatch in their favor. That will be a big battle all game. Also, for the running game you guys will have to run outside. It's very difficult to run up the middle on Young and Stubblefield....not to mention Derek Smith at MLB who is a tackling machine.

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:24 PM
If you saw last nites game you know we ran every which way, but typically Lamar has been sent between the T to no avail. Last night's game was a much smarter game plan.

miadphan13
12-11-2001, 02:28 PM
Welcome niner fan :)

Last night was frickin' INCREDIBLE!!! :D WOO~HOO!! :lol:

I went over to the Oakland board to smack some Raiders and they said the same old non-believing crap as usual. :rolleyes:

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:30 PM
Hey there miadphan13.....well, your hate for the raiders is mutual with all true 49ers fans. I hope you guys crush them in the playoffs!! I also detest any team from the AFC Central. Do you guys think you can beat the Steelers?? The key will be stopping the BUS!! If you can do that then Kordell is a sitting duck....

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:34 PM
The key will be stopping the BUS!! we con keep the bus on the local street on off teh highway, but stopping the running game is our D's weak spot without our best DT in Daryl G. However, if we can ignore a teams passing game and concentrate on just stopping the run, which we almost never do, we can stop it. Typically our D coord puts the 2 S back all the time and makes the other 9 guys stop the run.

miadphan13
12-11-2001, 02:39 PM
As I have mentioned before (sorry guys), I have supported the Steelers for 10 years b/c of my ex-husband. I got rid of him, but still like them :lol: .................until now! :evil: My loyalities are with the Dolphins! :D

I have mixed feelings on playing them. Their defense is very good and their offense is quite impressive compared to years past. I know they can fall apart, but this season I am still waiting. :eek:

We will see how they play the Ravens and the Browns are ALWAYS a HUGE rivalry for them. :D

As for the 49ers game on Sunday, I can't talk stats with you guys, so I will just hold my breath........."waiting to exhale"! :rolleyes: My fellow Fin fans will disagree with me, but I hope they do prove me wrong this time! :D

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:51 PM
That's right I forgot about Gardener being gone. Shouldn't be as big of a deal when you play us. We are not a power running team. But we do run well (#2 rushing attack in league). We have a very underrated offensive line and how can you not cheer for Garrison Hearst?? This guy doesn't talk trash, doesn't show boat, and isn't cocky. He just goes out every day and tries his best because he loves playing the game!!!

Hey miadphan13, are all Dolphins fans as cute as you?? If so I may have to convert!! :)

dolfan201
12-11-2001, 02:53 PM
The Steelers opened up the file cabinet and pulled out Chan Gailey's playbook. When we play them he will be able to work with the Defense to be aware of what they are going to run with their formations.

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 02:54 PM
:lol: :lol:

miadphan13
12-11-2001, 02:54 PM
Just BEING Dolphin fans makes us cute. Just wait until you see Sugarcane's photo. :)

Male Dolphin fans like to BEAT the rivals where as Female Dolphin fans CONVERT the rivals :lol:

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 02:57 PM
Ha ha....Is that how it works?? :lol: Seems pretty effective! As for the steelers just pulling out Chan Gailey's playbook I'm not so sure. The Steelers didn't have a Plaxico Burress the last time they went to the super bowl. Come to think of it, I don't think they had any decent receivers, did they?

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 03:02 PM
I would say Thigpen would be the equivalent of Plaxico, but they have Ward, too who is a good all-around WR. They are tough, but since we may never play them I only care about the 9ers right now. ;)

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 03:04 PM
Thigpen...that's right. Was that guy not the biggest bust when he went to Tennesee or what?? Wow!! So how do you guys feel about Wannestadt (sp?)??? Is he pretty popular with 'phins fans?? Seems to me that he didn't do too hot while he was with Chicago. And I think some people (myself included) still think that he rode Jimmy Johnson's coattails the whole way. To include how he got his current job. Just curious how much you guys think the teams success is attributable to him....

FinaticalOne
12-11-2001, 03:09 PM
I have a lot riding on this game (referring to pride). All my 49er friends and me and my fellow Fins fans will be watching this one together. We've been harpin' back and forth at each other for the last two weeks, now that the game is this week...things have really heated up. It has turned into prank week. We dressed up one of their cars with Dolphin memorbilia and took pictures of it (it was beautiful), pictures are posted all around work. I came into work this morning and my office is decorated like a 49ers shrine (that was a good one). My secretary still won't tell me who was behind it, because she is a 49er fan..LOL! GO FINS!

miadphan13
12-11-2001, 03:12 PM
OMG - That's hilarious and that is what football rivarly is all about! :lol:

dolfan06
12-11-2001, 03:16 PM
ah, i didn't see the game, but chan did change things?
If you saw last nites game you know we ran every which way, but typically Lamar has been sent between the T to no avail. Last night's game was a much smarter game plan. :)

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 03:19 PM
you would have been happy with the call at least, but the first play was Lamar on Student Body right - not up the middle. Chan pulled out lots of new and old (flanker screen for no gain twice) tricks, but the best was still the fake FG with Lamar on the field - did you see that one ? :eek: :lol:

Flyin11
12-11-2001, 03:22 PM
dolfan06

yeah...Lamar ran all ways and was getting the job done :D Very different from just plowing ahead into a wall :rolleyes: :cool:

dolfan201
12-11-2001, 03:23 PM
play zone... The more they do the more Fiedler can dink and dunk and eat up the clock, like the first drive of the game taking up over seven minutes.

I loved the shovel pass to Minor on 3 & 19. I was cursing it out before I saw he almost got the first down out of it... I think he picked up 14 yards....

As for the 9er's offense, I was impressed with David Bowens pass rush last night, I think we can put some pressure on Garcia, if not to throw bad passes at least throw it away...

dolfan06
12-11-2001, 03:24 PM
the best was still the fake FG with Lamar on the field - did you see that one ?

no, i wish i had of, i heard it though! CHANGE IS GOOD!

FinaticalOne
12-11-2001, 03:25 PM
I'm expecting this game to have some fireworks in it. I don't want the Fins to get into a shootout with the 49ers. We have to control the ball and keep their offense of the field as much as possible. Did you see last night how we ran the ball in the last quarter to control the clock (I think it was 10 minutes total)...now that's domination. The major thing I think the Fins will have to correct and I know the 49ers will try to exploit it, is the passing routes across the middle. Is it just me, or did others see Marvin Harrison running crossing routes over the middle with nobody on him. We cannot let T.O. do that or he will kill us all day. We have to blitz Garcia early to set the tempo for the rest of the game.

dolfan201
12-11-2001, 03:26 PM
is better than the Rams... If they can shut them down we can do it better....

Until Jeff Garcia, last year's Comeback Player of the Year, learns to handle big games better, the Rams will continue their mastery of the 49ers, which is now at a six-game winning streak for the Rams. "I struggled," Garcia (19-for-34 for 121 yards) said. "I never really caught on. It was just a tough game. It was a tough game on us all offensively. It was a tough game on me. They did a great job on making plays and forcing me out of the pocket at times. There weren't many windows of opportunity to make plays. No matter what we seemed to try to do, they were on top of it. They were a step ahead of us it seemed like on every single play."

inFINSible
12-11-2001, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Ninerfan
Thigpen...that's right. Was that guy not the biggest bust when he went to Tennesee or what?? Wow!! So how do you guys feel about Wannestadt (sp?)??? Is he pretty popular with 'phins fans?? Seems to me that he didn't do too hot while he was with Chicago. And I think some people (myself included) still think that he rode Jimmy Johnson's coattails the whole way. To include how he got his current job. Just curious how much you guys think the teams success is attributable to him....

Wannstedt is doing great. They say you learn from your mistakes, well , he must have learned alot in Chicago. All the players love him, he seems to push all the right motivation buttons. This team could have gone either direction after the second loss to the Jets and I think he made some good decisions to stay out of controversy and to not make more out of it than what it was. Even though it was the Jets, and it was the 8th time in row we have lost to them, he still kept it in perspective as what it was, which was 1 loss. Nothing more. He's been making all the right moves since he took over.
I think the offensive success goes completely to Dave and the defensive success has to be split with JJ because of the awesome defensive talent that he assembled before Dave got here.

FinaticalOne
12-11-2001, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know a 49er site to go to and discuss this week's game. I want a good site with a lot of fans......THANKS!

dolphan39
12-11-2001, 03:32 PM
of course, how could anyone expect us to kick w/Lamar in the game on 4th and 1 :confused:

Armstrong has been as good as Westhoff despite all the reservations.

dolfan201
12-11-2001, 03:35 PM
quite obvious that it was a fake.... Lamar was standing in an angle staring at the ball.

dolfan06
12-11-2001, 03:37 PM
go to the top of the front page, where the different forums are listed, click on select team and all the way to the bottom is the 49er webzone! :p

FinaticalOne
12-11-2001, 03:40 PM
:D :D

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 03:58 PM
Another good web site (A better one I think) is SJ Mercury news. Just go to

http://www.bayarea.com/category/sports_and_recreation/football/san_francisco_49ers/

Then click on "Forums!"

Ninerfan
12-11-2001, 04:18 PM
:sleep:

dolfan06
12-11-2001, 04:40 PM
board once. and that was to ask about tickets. got a lot of help from those guys! :D

dolfan06
12-11-2001, 04:41 PM
but no tickets! :(

FinaticalOne
12-11-2001, 04:50 PM
:D

iceblizzard69
12-11-2001, 07:22 PM
This game is the one I worry about, but after last nights performance, they showed that we have really sucked so far. We murdered those dirty horseshoes. Well, for the niners, we have to contain Garcia like we contained Manning. If we do that, we should be able to win. We also need to stop Hearst, he is having a great year. This week, we really need the Defense to click to pull through. I think we can pull it out though.