PDA

View Full Version : This is why, IMHO, you don't rest players

PressCoverage
01-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Barring an comeback of epic proportions, the top seed looks dead.

Clearly, the Indianapolis Colts learned nothing from the Denver Broncos of 1996... When your key players don't play a meaningful game for the better part of a full month, this kind of flat performance is hardly surprising.

With a rhythm-style offense that depends on timing and precision, it is inconceivable to me that you sit players for fear of injury. Certainly, if a key player does get hurt in Week 15, 16 or 17, you look like a goat. But I hardly feel that is a very likely scenario compared to the near certainty that your team returns flat 5 weeks later.

People can blame the death of Dungy's son as being more of a factor, but I believe that's even MORE of a reason to keep your starters frosty down the stretch. People may disagree, wholeheartedly, but this was a collassal failure by the Colts' coaching staff.

This is not meant to take anything away from a brilliant performance and scheme by the Steelers in any way.

B-LO, BABY
01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
This is why you never lay dough on Indy in the playoffs. Dungy and Manning are historic choke artists.

unifiedtheory
01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
The Seahawks rested their players.

PressCoverage
01-15-2006, 04:57 PM
and they didn't look tremendously strong, either...

unifiedtheory
01-15-2006, 05:09 PM
and they didn't look tremendously strong, either...

That is true.:lol:

Roman529
01-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Eli and Peyton Manning both played subpar in the playoffs. I think the Colts lost their momentum about the time Dungy's son killed himself...I also think a lot of teams go into the tank with the two week layoffs. The Colts didn't come to play until around the 4th quarter.