PDA

View Full Version : QB Situation.....

FinNation13
01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I live in New York so you guys have to keep me updated on this QB situation. As much as i was surprised by Ferotte's performance this yr, he CAN NOT be the starting qb next yr! Defintely can be the back up, but to WHO? I like Jay Cutler alot, but we need someone to step in right away, because we have the pieces. Draft Cutler and let him learn but who is available via free agency?

FinNation13

Fin for Life!!

Roman529
01-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I'll 2nd the Jay Cutler wish.....but I think he will be drafted before our #16 pick. So we may have to settle on Omar Jacobs, or not draft a QB and attempt to get a QB through free agency....I would take Daunte Culpepper if he is not injured....we may have to go with Gus another year and then get our franchise QB in 2007.....Quinn of Notre Dame??

AquaInferno
01-16-2006, 02:19 PM
I live in New York so you guys have to keep me updated on this QB situation. As much as i was surprised by Ferotte's performance this yr, he CAN NOT be the starting qb next yr! Defintely can be the back up, but to WHO? I like Jay Cutler alot, but we need someone to step in right away, because we have the pieces. Draft Cutler and let him learn but who is available via free agency?

FinNation13

Fin for Life!!

I doubt Saban or any coach is gonna wanna mess with the QB structure as much as it would need to be by drafting Cutler and signing a free agent. Think about it, Lemon would probably be cut, Sage cut, Gus bumped to 3rd. Free agent signed to come in and start (now we have someone who is new to offense, starting...) And let's not forget that just drafting a QB could be a task depending on who's left at #16.

Sounds like a lot of work? Well that's why it will be one or the other, I can almost guarantee we won't draft a rookie and sign a new free agent to start.

Mile High Fin
01-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I'll 2nd the Jay Cutler wish.....but I think he will be drafted before our #16 pick. So we may have to settle on Omar Jacobs, or not draft a QB and attempt to get a QB through free agency....I would take Daunte Culpepper if he is not injured....we may have to go with Gus another year and then get our franchise QB in 2007.....Quinn of Notre Dame??

Nice thought, but Quinn will most likely be taken in the top 5 next year, if not #1 overall.

Nice dream, but virtually no chance we get Quinn in 2007.

feelthepain
01-16-2006, 02:54 PM

FinNation13

Fin for Life!!

I think there is a better then good chance Gus is the starter in 06. We are too low in the draft to be in position to pick one at our first spot and also to low to trade up. I also don't think there will be a QB worthy of a 2nd rd pick come rd 2. As for FA this is also out of the question, I have not seen one player worthy of big money or worthy of a QB change being talked about in FA. I would like to see if the rumors about Lemon was all just a means to move AJ and his money or to add an upgrade to the QB position.

One thing I do know, uless Saban plans on regressing next year we won't be in a position to draft a QB then either. I don't see Saban going 3 years without seriously upgrading the position so it's very possiblle Saban will do something out of charcter to ugrade our QB position this year.

LarryFinFan
01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I think there is a better then good chance Gus is the starter in 06. We are too low in the draft to be in position to pick one at our first spot and also to low to trade up. I also don't think there will be a QB worthy of a 2nd rd pick come rd 2. As for FA this is also out of the question, I have not seen one player worthy of big money or worthy of a QB change being talked about in FA. I would like to see if the rumors about Lemon was all just a means to move AJ and his money or to add an upgrade to the QB position.

One thing I do know, uless Saban plans on regressing next year we won't be in a position to draft a QB then either. I don't see Saban going 3 years without seriously upgrading the position so it's very possiblle Saban will do something out of charcter to ugrade our QB position this year.

I'm all for it. But if he does it this way, it'll cost us...be that draft picks or players and of course salary...so when you ask Saban to 'do something out of character', it comes with a cost...

tucker
01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
if scott linehan leaves than there goes ferrotes good season..he only did well b/c he knew the system..if he has to learn a new system than i would rather take my chances with a younger qb

feelthepain
01-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm all for it. But if he does it this way, it'll cost us...be that draft picks or players and of course salary...so when you ask Saban to 'do something out of character', it comes with a cost...

Cost...as in money a player to be named and DP. IMO the deepest two positions on our team are RB and DE and both position have a player/players that could be traded. I leave it up to you guy's to speculate as to whom it might be. Ofcourse it also depends on which team we are dealing with.

Mr772
01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
I think our best option is to hang onto Gus for this year and draft a kid with some potential (Cutler if he is still around). I don’t see Kitna or Brooks as much of an upgrade over Gus. Gus had his moments but showed some consistency with back to back good games in the second half of the season.

finsruleurlife
01-16-2006, 03:32 PM
we need to get a veteren who can step right in and wont move the team backwards. Most rookie qbs dont have successful first years.

Dolphins=LIFE
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm still on the "Get Joey Harrington" bandwagon.

Make fun if you wish.

scenaria
01-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Gus has proven to be a solid vet that can assist in grooming a rookie QB. why bring in ANOTHER vet when Gus already knows more about the system? isnt the idea to get a solid starting QB through the ranks as efficiently as possible? by pulling out Gus and putting in another vet it would set us back another year. Keep Gus in there while the up and coming rookie gets his feet wet a bit. Makes more sense to me.

RLMIAMI
01-16-2006, 04:32 PM

FinNation13

Fin for Life!!

I say trade whomever and out first round pick this year to Houston to the number #1 pick and take Young.. But alas that would most likely put a halt to the progress of this year since most likely it will entail , JT or Zach plus Ricky and the pick. We need JT and Zach obviously and Ricky is the only proven all pro on Offense.

DeathStar
01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm still on the "Get Joey Harrington" bandwagon.

Make fun if you wish.

another bad QB.

Lappy
01-16-2006, 04:35 PM
another bad QB.

I think you mean horrible! :tongue:

trainwreck
01-16-2006, 04:36 PM
if scott linehan leaves than there goes ferrotes good season..he only did well b/c he knew the system..if he has to learn a new system than i would rather take my chances with a younger qb

Good point, I agree 100%.

LarryFinFan
01-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Cost...as in money a player to be named and DP. IMO the deepest two positions on our team are RB and DE and both position have a player/players that could be traded. I leave it up to you guy's to speculate as to whom it might be. Ofcourse it also depends on which team we are dealing with.

I'm not arguing that Saban doesn't have to make a move. I think he most certainly should, but I also know that when he does, everyone is going to be crying about how much we gave up for a trade for a player or to move up in the draft. Will losing a 2nd or 3rd draft pick and say, RW be worth a potential franchise QB...IMHO, yes, but I know we'll hear all kinds of complaining when it happens...

Eshlemon
01-16-2006, 05:59 PM

FinNation13

Fin for Life!!

Saban has stated he wants to upgrade the QB position. But he was 9-7 with Gus/Sage and IMO don't see him picking up a free agent QB from what's currently available. I would like to see us bring in a better free agent QB, but don't see any that would be major upgrades.
I know Cutler is liked by many. But one of things mentioned by posters is he gambles a lot and forces throws Favre-like because of the confidence in arm strength. Don't know if Saban would like a QB with this type of mentality instead of a more conservative QB that'll throw the ball away. Will be interesting if Saban does take or pass on Cutler if available at #16. And how badly he'll be flamed by the fans and media that wanted Cutler.

McMichael
01-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I think we should definitely draft a young QB instead of signing a FA... I just don't see anybody who we could reasonably get who would be a big upgrade over gus.

I don't agree we have all the pieces in place to make any kind of a playoff run next year... Our secondary needs a lot of help and the defensive line is very old.

let's watch gus's rollercoaster ride one more time while we draft young defenders and improve the ones we have... then start our new qb in 07

dolfan305
01-16-2006, 08:32 PM
draft qb and let gus start next season.

tylerdolphin
01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
You can quote me on this, we wont win a playoff game with Gus at QB. The "Gus already knows the system" argument sets me crazy. Any nit-wit can learn our system over TC. We have to improve there...

Jaj
01-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Actually for those arguing that Harrington sucks...

Umm actually he's rated higher than Gus and if he was actually given the starting nod and backed with a good playbook and good playcalling he's very good. Fits this system to a T.

fiedlerwasAJoke
01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Get Favre and Cutler start Favre for 2 years and then when he retires Cutler comes in.

tylerdolphin
01-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Get Favre and Cutler start Favre for 2 years and then when he retires Cutler comes in.
Wouldnt happen and I dont want him anyway.

Blade2000
01-17-2006, 12:15 AM
what we need is a "Ben Roethlisberger" type Rookie who busts out and wins every game he starts in his first season(not counting post-season)

Motion
01-17-2006, 03:44 AM
what we need is a "Ben Roethlisberger" type Rookie who busts out and wins every game he starts in his first season(not counting post-season)

:lol: Do you have any idea how rare that is?

Mr772
01-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Nice thought, but Quinn will most likely be taken in the top 5 next year, if not #1 overall.

Nice dream, but virtually no chance we get Quinn in 2007.

How about this: We trade Ricky to the Jets this year for their 1st round pick next year. We make due with Gus and Lemon this year and take Quinn next year with the jets pick.

fins5423
01-17-2006, 03:50 PM
im all for Jay Cutler