PDA

View Full Version : Isiah Thomas Threatens Bill "Sports Guy" Simmons

Muck
01-18-2006, 12:48 AM
....and Simmons isn't backing down. :sidelol:

In fact, he went on the offensive. And Zeke just got further synged.

I love the Sports Guy. I mean, one of his weekly columns is called "More Cowbell". And that's where this gem is located. Freaking outstanding.

This one's called "Losing Isiah". :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?entryDate=20060117&name=simmons

BTW - Simmons now on the ****list of the NBA's two worst GMs. :lol:

Muck
01-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Classic email by a reader who heard the broadcast. :rofl3:

Sports Guy, I think you'd like to know that Isiah Thomas is planning to take revenge on you. Today on the Stephen A. Smith show on ESPN Radio here in New York, Thomas said if "I ever meet this guy Bill Simmons, it won't be good for him." In other words, I think he's planning on signing you.
-- Dan Goodman, New York

PHINATIC13
01-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Or, I can fly to New York and we can have a dignified conversation about this stuff. Followed by you beating the living hell out of me.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

finfansince72
01-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Isiah is such a tool. Does anyone have a clue how he still has a job? Id be happy to destroy the Knicks for 10% of what he's making.

Martel
01-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't really like Simmons and all of his Patriots and Sox ra ra ish but Isiah is a complete fool if he thinks people aren't gonna clown him after the horrible job he's done. Was that a run on sentence?

MikeO
01-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't really like Simmons and all of his Patriots and Sox ra ra ish but Isiah is a complete fool if he thinks people aren't gonna clown him after the horrible job he's done. Was that a run on sentence?

Give Isiah credit for one thing though, he might have hit the jackpot with his last draft of Frye, Robertson, and Lee. He might have drafted 3 starters for many years to come.

Martel
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Also I don't know that I'd be that scared of Isiah. He always seemed a little fem to me. Like a gay breakdancer or something.

RWhitney014
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
He's not a bad drafter, Mike. He just likes to sign anyone with a working leg and usually a highly functional mouth.

Roman529
01-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Something they rarely talk about: Isiah bought the Continental Basketball Association....YES, the entire CBA was his...and it quickly folded like a tent and went bankrupt....Isiah is running the Knicks into the ground too....not that they were any good before he got there. :D

inFINSible
01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Isn't Isiah like 4'7" or something? I think BSG could take him.

dob72
01-19-2006, 09:01 AM
He's not a bad drafter,
no he's not to bad he traded away all there draft picks lol

Muck
01-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Yup, he's further defending himself.... And he even addressed Stephen A. Smith.

As for Stephen A. pretending not to know me, I thought this was interesting since one of his producers asked me to fly to New York and appear as a featured guest on his TV show in September.

Long live Bill Simmons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

I also updated the link to the original Losing Isiah.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?entryDate=20060117&name=simmons

MikeO
01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Something they rarely talk about: Isiah bought the Continental Basketball Association....YES, the entire CBA was his...and it quickly folded like a tent and went bankrupt....Isiah is running the Knicks into the ground too....not that they were any good before he got there. :D

There is more to that story. He didn't run it into the ground. It was half dead when he bought it.

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
There is more to that story. He didn't run it into the ground. It was half dead when he bought it.

Kinda the same thing with the Knicks, Isiah has been bad, but Scott Layden was awful..

Boik14
01-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Give Isiah credit for one thing though, he might have hit the jackpot with his last draft of Frye, Robertson, and Lee. He might have drafted 3 starters for many years to come.Hes always drafted well.

Toronto he drafted: Damon Stoudamire and Camby (2 ROY's)
Indiana: He had input on the drafting of Artest, Croshere, was instrumental in bringing in J O Neal
NY: Ariza (pick 43), Frye, nate, Lee

Hes a strong evaluator of talent who doesnt care about the cap because of the mess the NYK were in capwise when he took over. The only way he could improve the decrepid roster he inheritted from that putz Scott Layden was to take on big contracts that no one else wanted.

Boik14
01-23-2006, 03:45 AM
no he's not to bad he traded away all there draft picks lolactually no, he still has the spurs 1st from the Nazr Mohammed/Malik rose deal last year. Almost though.

And in general, Bill simmons should dig a hole in the ground and put his writing stack in it. Ill bury it for him. Hes inaccurate and presents mostly gibberish

phunwin
01-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Hes always drafted well.

Toronto he drafted: Damon Stoudamire and Camby (2 ROY's)
Indiana: He had input on the drafting of Artest, Croshere, was instrumental in bringing in J O Neal
NY: Ariza (pick 43), Frye, nate, Lee

Hes a strong evaluator of talent who doesnt care about the cap because of the mess the NYK were in capwise when he took over. The only way he could improve the decrepid roster he inheritted from that putz Scott Layden was to take on big contracts that no one else wanted.

This is absolutely untrue.

Isiah has had numerous opportunities to right the cap situation, use his one positive skill as a GM (drafting talent) and slowly build a good, cohesive team. He could have been in a position to offer LeBron James a max deal if he played his cards right. Instead, he made one deal after another to take on an expensive shoot-first point guard, undersized power forward or fat-*** center.

Here's the problem with Isiah: as a GM, the ONE thing he does well is draft players. He is very good at that. He is a horrible evaluator of free agent talent and consistently gets fleeced in trades. So of course it makes perfect sense that he traded their #1 pick this year, without lottery protection, for Eddy Curry, and even gave the Bulls the option to switch picks next year. Why wouldn't he treat his draft picks like gold, since they represent the only way Isiah can realistically turn the team around?

Boik14
01-24-2006, 02:06 AM
This is absolutely untrue.

Isiah has had numerous opportunities to right the cap situation, use his one positive skill as a GM (drafting talent) and slowly build a good, cohesive team. He could have been in a position to offer LeBron James a max deal if he played his cards right. Instead, he made one deal after another to take on an expensive shoot-first point guard, undersized power forward or fat-*** center.

Here's the problem with Isiah: as a GM, the ONE thing he does well is draft players. He is very good at that. He is a horrible evaluator of free agent talent and consistently gets fleeced in trades. So of course it makes perfect sense that he traded their #1 pick this year, without lottery protection, for Eddy Curry, and even gave the Bulls the option to switch picks next year. Why wouldn't he treat his draft picks like gold, since they represent the only way Isiah can realistically turn the team around? Your right...he could have built a cap effiecient team but that would have required a full blown rebuilding process with no names and so the casual fan wouldnt be intersted in turn hurting the gate/merchandising/advertising. As usual it comes down to money.

In addition Eddy Curry > any other big man coming out this year just based on the fact hes a polished offenseive center still young enough to improve his rebounding/blocks stats and get his lard butt in shape. You have the advantage of working curry in to the offense and knowing what LB expects. This draft is weak on bigs, especially C's, who would have been lottery picks. Its deep on talent @ SG/SF/PF.

The only bad trades Isiah's made were:
- Van Horn for Timmy Thomas + Nazr. And he even rectified that when he dealt Nazr for Rose + 2 1sts
- Dealing Kurt for Q (who is useless in Brown's offense since LB hates a lot of 3's)

phunwin
01-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Your right...he could have built a cap effiecient team but that would have required a full blown rebuilding process with no names and so the casual fan wouldnt be intersted in turn hurting the gate/merchandising/advertising. As usual it comes down to money.

In addition Eddy Curry > any other big man coming out this year just based on the fact hes a polished offenseive center still young enough to improve his rebounding/blocks stats and get his lard butt in shape. You have the advantage of working curry in to the offense and knowing what LB expects. This draft is weak on bigs, especially C's, who would have been lottery picks. Its deep on talent @ SG/SF/PF.

The only bad trades Isiah's made were:
- Van Horn for Timmy Thomas + Nazr. And he even rectified that when he dealt Nazr for Rose + 2 1sts
- Dealing Kurt for Q (who is useless in Brown's offense since LB hates a lot of 3's)

While Curry is better than any big man coming out this year, I'm not sure he was worth what will probably end up being two lottery picks, a competent big man (Mike Sweetney) and the massive contract they gave him. You've got to factor all those things into Isiah's deals.

The Jamal Crawford deal is another one. They didn't give up a lot, but they shelled out a ton of dough for a shooting guard that can't shoot particularly well, and who thinks (erroneously) that he's a point guard. The Knicks gave up cap room for him. Are the Knicks REALLY that much better off with Jamal Crawford than they'd be with, say, Trevor Ariza taking his spot in the rotation, or Nate Robinson?

They gave up cap room and a second round pick (which will likely be fairly high in the second round) for Maurice Taylor, yet another undersized power forward with an oversized salary. As with Crawford, the act of acquiring the player in the first place is a bad move.

The Rose deal wasn't a particularly good one, either. Mohammed was playing fairly well as the Knicks' center, and didn't have an outlandish contract. They swapped him for Rose, who does. Sure, they got a pair of first round picks, but they're the Spurs' picks, and they're going to be at the end of round 1 anyway. The pick for this year's draft isn't likely to be far ahead of the second rounder they gave up for Taylor, and while Mohammed would be, at least, a competent center in the East, they instead have Rose, yet another undersized power forward who can't get off the bench.

Boik14
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
While Curry is better than any big man coming out this year, I'm not sure he was worth what will probably end up being two lottery picks, a competent big man (Mike Sweetney) and the massive contract they gave him. You've got to factor all those things into Isiah's deals.

The Jamal Crawford deal is another one. They didn't give up a lot, but they shelled out a ton of dough for a shooting guard that can't shoot particularly well, and who thinks (erroneously) that he's a point guard. The Knicks gave up cap room for him. Are the Knicks REALLY that much better off with Jamal Crawford than they'd be with, say, Trevor Ariza taking his spot in the rotation, or Nate Robinson?

They gave up cap room and a second round pick (which will likely be fairly high in the second round) for Maurice Taylor, yet another undersized power forward with an oversized salary. As with Crawford, the act of acquiring the player in the first place is a bad move.

The Rose deal wasn't a particularly good one, either. Mohammed was playing fairly well as the Knicks' center, and didn't have an outlandish contract. They swapped him for Rose, who does. Sure, they got a pair of first round picks, but they're the Spurs' picks, and they're going to be at the end of round 1 anyway. The pick for this year's draft isn't likely to be far ahead of the second rounder they gave up for Taylor, and while Mohammed would be, at least, a competent center in the East, they instead have Rose, yet another undersized power forward who can't get off the bench. Mike Sweetney may have been a lottery pick but that doesnt mean hes good. He cant play D; even admitted this week to Skilies that he hasnt taken a charge since HS. He gets called for fouls when his stomach is simply in the way. If youre trying to justify the trade as bad using Mike Sweetney as an excuse...well good luck. Hes not even polished as an offensive player; cant hit a J or play facing the basket. A legit C > an undersized PF + a lottery pick in a weaker draft

As far as Crawford...we gave up poop for a guy who's been a good scorer in this league. Yes he needs to work on his shot selection and decision making but thats what LB is here for. Crawford's still only 25/26 and hes the perfect combo guard which is very hard to find. Hes one of teh few players in the league that can create his own shot anytime, he just needs to work on which shots are the right ones to take and be more careful with the ball. Ariza is a project, at best right now. You criticize Crawford but Ariza has half as many TO's in literally about a 1/4 of the playing time. he has no offensive moves other then putbacks and transition hoops. And Nate TO's the ball at a higher rate then Crawford. If you havent noticed the last few games prior to Steph's injury Crawford had been rebounding the ball and shooting it better than he had ever really done.

As far as Taylor I can see the legitimacy of the point. At the same time the NYK last year were on the verge of getting the 8 seed at the time of the deal and really needed height. It was a nothing investment for a guy who at the very least is a decent post player something last years team needed.

LOL Nazr Mohammed sucks. Hes a semi-decent offensive option but he is god awful on D. I remember last year Zaza Puchlia tore him up and no one even knew who Zaza was then.