PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Winston Justice

caneaddict
01-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Offensive Tackle is the most consistent pick in the draft meaning the lowest probability of bust in round 1. Sure there are busts but far fewer than any other position.

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY; Winston Justice is a beast. He can come in and start form day 1. He WILL be a pro bowler and will anchor our line for the next 10 years. Best thing is he is VERY versatile and can play either tackle position. That is very important in an O-linemen because in case of injury you can maximize the other player's ability since they don't have to play a specific position. For example if the coaching staff feels that Carey is better at LT than RT, there is no problem moving him to the left side because Justice can play the right. He would be able to play at a pro bowl level at almost any O-line position (excluding center). Obviously it would be best to have him at one of the tackle spots.

At USC he played RT because Leinart is a lefty so his blind side is the right. I'm not too worried about the character issues and hopefully those will allow him to slip to us. However I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him.

PhinSoldia
01-07-2006, 01:51 PM
i am not trading up for a lineman....if we need one we get the best on the bored because this draft is thick with good ones

then again my last name isnt Mueller or Saban

madmike
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Offensive Tackle is the most consistent pick in the draft meaning the lowest probability of bust in round 1. Sure there are busts but far fewer than any other position.

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY; Winston Justice is a beast. He can come in and start form day 1. He WILL be a pro bowler and will anchor our line for the next 10 years. Best thing is he is VERY versatile and can play either tackle position. That is very important in an O-linemen because in case of injury you can maximize the other player's ability since they don't have to play a specific position. For example if the coaching staff feels that Carey is better at LT than RT, there is no problem moving him to the left side because Justice can play the right. He would be able to play at a pro bowl level at almost any O-line position (excluding center). Obviously it would be best to have him at one of the tackle spots.

At USC he played RT because Leinart is a lefty so his blind side is the right. I'm not too worried about the character issues and hopefully those will allow him to slip to us. However I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him.what about eric winston[LT] of UM. he will probably go in the 2nd due to his coming back from injury.i watched him most of the year especially the miami-LSU game and nobody got thru on his watch.

Pocoloco
01-07-2006, 02:39 PM
what about eric winston[LT] of UM. he will probably go in the 2nd due to his coming back from injury.i watched him most of the year especially the miami-LSU game and nobody got thru on his watch.

on my mock, I have us taking him in the 2nd. It would be amazing if we got him

studsatele
01-07-2006, 03:30 PM
how big is he? would he be better than say marcus mcneill?

madmike
01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
how big is he? would he be better than say marcus mcneill?eric winston from UM is 6-7 310lb with room to grow in weight if neccessary:) :D

Retnuhrace
01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
how big is he? would he be better than say marcus mcneill?

Marcus McNeill in nearly every case is a RT in the pros.

umpalu
01-07-2006, 08:40 PM
i am not trading up for a lineman....if we need one we get the best on the bored because this draft is thick with good ones

then again my last name isnt Mueller or Saban

He will be there, we won't have to trade up, I want cutler more, but it is how the pieces of the draft will fall together

caneaddict
01-08-2006, 01:36 AM
He will be there, we won't have to trade up, I want cutler more, but it is how the pieces of the draft will fall together

IF Cutler falls to us AND Saban feels that he can be a franchise QB then of course I would want a franchise QB over a franchise LT. However, it would be tough for me to imagine BOTH Arizona and Detroit passing on him if he projects as a potential franchise Quarterback because of how bad they need a QB.

If Saban doesn't think he has a shot at a franchise QB (either Cutler isn't available or Saban doesn't grade him out high enough) then Winston Justice HAS to be the next option (assuming he's available).

I haven't seen Cutler and so I can't grade him so I defer to Saban, but I have seen Justice and he's a mutliple pro bowl player.

Danny
01-08-2006, 02:20 AM
It is starting to look more and more like our top pick could be a LT and the reason is simple.A LT could be the best player on the board at that time.I think the 3 QB's will be gone so I'd take Greenway but he could be gone too.I don't want a DB in the 1st round so a LT could realy be the pick.The question is which one? There're a few good ones this year and I trust that Nick will make the right pick if he takes one at 16.

Ozzy rules!!

phinfan_1
01-08-2006, 03:45 AM
what about eric winston[LT] of UM. he will probably go in the 2nd due to his coming back from injury.i watched him most of the year especially the miami-LSU game and nobody got thru on his watch.

Eric Winston of Miami, he didn't play tackle until his junior year in college. But he's great on his feet. Marcus Mcneil isn't that great against speed rushers and the spin move but still good. But I'd love to see miami get Eric Winston in the 2nd.

D-Rock
01-18-2006, 08:52 AM
OT Winston Justice, I saw it about 10 mins ago when I was watching Sportscenter.... I was wondering, is he any good..... I mean potential wise and stuff :dolphins: :dolphins:

Motion
01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Check the Draft Forum, Theres a big thread there from yesterday.

BALLS DEEP
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Wasn't he the sherriff in Smokey and the Bandit? "When I get home, I'm gonna punch 'yo Mama in the mouth". Same guy?

:roflmao:

I hope he "knows" that we're picking up our new starting QB in free agency then. Because, if we haven't picked up a starting Qb an use our #1 pick on an OT I'll go nutz!

pilotfish
01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Wasn't he the sherriff in Smokey and the Bandit? "When I get home, I'm gonna punch 'yo Mama in the mouth". Same guy?

:roflmao:

I hope he "knows" that we're picking up our new starting QB in free agency then. Because, if we haven't picked up a starting Qb an use our #1 pick on an OT I'll go nutz!

buford t justice... aka jackie gleason ;)

LarryFinFan
01-18-2006, 09:25 AM
OT Winston Justice, I saw it about 10 mins ago when I was watching Sportscenter.... I was wondering, is he any good..... I mean potential wise and stuff :dolphins: :dolphins:

Justice is a very good OT, but he has some history...I can't remember if it was grades or injuries or off-field stuff, but there was a story on him during the lead-up to the USC/Texas game. At any rate, Kiper has Cutler, Young and Leinart going before we pick. I couldn't argue with an OT...but I really feel that he'd go D if a QB wasn't available in the first round. Probably S, CB or LB. We may be ok at CB, pending Poole and Mitchell's return. We have a hole a safety, pending what is done with Jones and Schulters. And at LB, we have an aging ZT and Seau will be gone. Spraghan was pretty good, but not a building block...So, it really will depend on what happens in FA as to which way we go...

I wouldn't be upset with Justice, but that is not really Saban's philosphy...

Awsi Dooger
01-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Justice is a very good OT, but he has some history...I can't remember if it was grades or injuries or off-field stuff, but there was a story on him during the lead-up to the USC/Texas game. At any rate, Kiper has Cutler, Young and Leinart going before we pick. I couldn't argue with an OT...but I really feel that he'd go D if a QB wasn't available in the first round. Probably S, CB or LB. We may be ok at CB, pending Poole and Mitchell's return. We have a hole a safety, pending what is done with Jones and Schulters. And at LB, we have an aging ZT and Seau will be gone. Spraghan was pretty good, but not a building block...So, it really will depend on what happens in FA as to which way we go...

I wouldn't be upset with Justice, but that is not really Saban's philosphy...

Justice was suspended from school and missed all of 2004 after pulling a fake gun on a student. There may have been more to it than that. I don't know the full details.

Otherwise, he would have turned pro after last season, without a doubt. People from USC say he's been itching to turn pro almost from his first day on campus.

One thing that doesn't thrill me: a guy on the USC message boards says he knew Justice in grade school and he was a clumsy dork with big glasses who everyone picked on. I know most won't care about that, but I always prefer longterm athletic dominance, the kid who was picked first on every team all his life.

Boik14
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Justice was suspended from school and missed all of 2004 after pulling a fake gun on a student. There may have been more to it than that. I don't know the full details.

Otherwise, he would have turned pro after last season, without a doubt. People prom USC say he's been itching to turn pro almost from his first day on campus.

One thing that doesn't thrill me: a guy on the USC message boards says he knew Justice in grade school and he was a clumsy dork with big glasses who everyone picked on. I know most won't care about that, but I always prefer longterm athletic dominance, the kid who was picked first on every team all his life.That can work both ways too. He could view everyone on the field as the guy that was picking on him in grade school which in turn makes could make him a more frerocious blocker through his aggression and anger. Its also coming from a message board so Id take it with a big heaping of salt

Kucha
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
That can work both ways too. He could view everyone on the field as the guy that was picking on him in grade school which in turn makes could make him a more frerocious blocker through his aggression and anger. Its also coming from a message board so Id take it with a big heaping of salt

I agree about taking it with a grain of salt...but if it's true about him having been picked on then we can view the gun incident as perhaps a sign that the guy may be too angry which can be bad. very bad especially if he doesn't learn how to control it. Flag this guy with some caution.

Boik14
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
I agree about taking it with a grain of salt...but if it's true about him having been picked on then we can view the gun incident as perhaps a sign that the guy may be too angry which can be bad. very bad especially if he doesn't learn how to control it. Flag this guy with some caution.Absolutely the anger has to be managed. It has to be directed towards the opposition for it to be used as a tool that can work for you and not against you. But just like Manny Wright grew up real fast, and just like RW got his message, I think Saban may have the best gift a coach can have and thats great psychological and communication skills that allow him to truly understand how to get through to players. Im not advocating drafting Justice (though I wouldnt be terribly heartbroken if we did even though I have my eyes on a few other players) but its not really fair to label the guy a little wuss cause of something that happened 10 years ago.

SammySmif
01-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Justice could be a wise pick for us. This guy would fill a huge void at LT and give us security there for years. I think I'd rather get a great Olineman and then snag a young QB in the later rounds.

Awsi Dooger
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Justice is actually a RT. Sam Baker, a sophomore, is USC's LT. Justice is probably athletic enough to play LT but I expect him to stay at RT. The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

Dolfan2788
01-21-2006, 07:17 PM
That's because RE's are the opposing teams premier pass rushers, but the responsibility put on Justice was still big and he definitely has the feet to play LT.
He'll definitely be projected as LT but as you said could stay at RT depending on what team drafts him.
If we get him I would expect us to move him to LT and let Houck teach him the nuances of the position.
I personally don't think that there is much value for us picking an O-lineman in the first 2 rounds, I think Houck can find players that fit his system in the later rounds.

BigDogsHunt
01-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Justice is actually a RT. Sam Baker, a sophomore, is USC's LT. Justice is probably athletic enough to play LT but I expect him to stay at RT. The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

He was a RT because Leinart was a lefty.....if he was a righty, Justice would have played LT. He had the most important responsibilty on the OL, protect the QB's blind side from the far outside position.

nopony
01-21-2006, 11:05 PM
The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

It's not as much a matter of the "best pass rusher" as it is "blind side". It was the way the offense was designed, not as much the way the defenses adjusted.

I am not an expert, but I expect Justice to eventually play LT in the NFL.

Awsi Dooger
01-22-2006, 03:19 AM
You guys need to do less guessing. If that stuff has been passed around here as gospel, then evict it because it's not accurate.

Winston Justice was the starting RT in his freshman season of 2002, in fact starting 12 games. He was the first freshman to start for USC in the OL since '96. The QB in 2002 was the very right handed Carson Palmer.

In 2003 USC left Justice at RT, but hardly because Leinart was a lefty and they wanted to protect his blind side. As a USC alum I never heard any speculation about moving Justice to LT. He did great as a freshman at RT so they merely kept him there. It wasn't even a given lefty Leinart would emerge as the starter. Matt Cassel was also in the picture and he's a righty.

When Justice missed all of 2004, Sam Baker entered the lineup at LT after being switched from guard early that fall. He was USC's best lineman in 2004. So if Pete Carroll were obsessed with protecting Leinart's blind side, he might have moved Sam Baker to RT in 2005 since Justice was less of a known quantity after missing an entire year. But Carroll left Baker at LT, just as he had done with Justice in 2003. Why tinker when it ain't broke? USC's OL from tackle to tackle was outstanding, the best in the country.

SMadison29
01-22-2006, 04:05 AM
In 2003 USC left Justice at RT, but hardly because Leinart was a lefty and they wanted to protect his blind side. As a USC alum I never heard any speculation about moving Justice to LT. He did great as a freshman at RT so they merely kept him there.

There was the speculation & likelihood of moving Justice to the left side of the line after the 03 season when Jacob Rogers graduated, but the opportunity never presented itself because he got suspended for the pellet gun issue. When he finally came back this past spring Sam Baker was entrenched as the starting LT. There was also a rumor earlier this month that if Justice returned he would be moved to LT & given a push to win the Outland Trophy.

PublixSubsRule
01-22-2006, 04:16 AM
i think that our oline coach is good enough that he can find good talent that slipps through the cracks like alibi

SammySmif
01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
USC's OL from tackle to tackle was outstanding, the best in the country.

if that's the case then I don't see why it be a stretch to get an OL on that level in the 1st round.

Kucha
01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
if that's the case then I don't see why it be a stretch to get an OL on that level in the 1st round.

I wouldn't mind us drafting him...but it may spell the end of Vernon Carey since both play the same position...unless they switch Carey to RG...still, it would raise my level of frustration with Speilman all the greater since he gave up two draft picks to get him. :fire:

ckparrothead
01-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I think Justice is a RT in the NFL, but you need good RTs in the NFL as well as LTs. Is he the next Walter Jones or Orlando Pace? No, only one man in the draft has that distinction...D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

fishypete
01-23-2006, 02:30 PM
I think Justice is a RT in the NFL, but you need good RTs in the NFL as well as LTs. Is he the next Walter Jones or Orlando Pace? No, only one man in the draft has that distinction...D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Your right you do need good RT's...but you don't use 1st round picks to acquire them.

Kucha
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Your right you do need good RT's...but you don't use 1st round picks to acquire them.

Rick Spielman did! Wait, that didn't work out too well. Bad example.

ABrownLamp
01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Then why are draft boards and Finheaven members citing him as a likely choice (or a good choice) for the Phins. Didn't we just draft a RT in the first round that isn't half bad 2 years ago?

Am I missing something? Why would the Dolphins draft another RT?

Boomer
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Because he is arguably the best RT to come out in a while, he has great feet and it all depends on where you envisage Carey playing. If you think Carey is a RT, then Jean Gilles could be your guy. If you see him at G, then Justice is a very strong option.

marino1348
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
He was a right tackle at USc with a left handed qb. he protected his blind side which is what left tackles are for. I blelive that he has quick feet and good foot work which are need for the blindside job.

finfan32
01-27-2006, 07:30 PM
good post, may options in 1st round, i think it will either be qb or oline.

Ronski_doodle
01-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Our draft is in good hands.
No more questionable picks.

havanahec
01-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I doubt a Tackle is taken by the Phins in the first round. My bet is we go D

and most likely Linebacker. Thats just what I think. :D

Phins28
01-27-2006, 08:02 PM
We need a QB, OL or DB.

dolphan117
01-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Wrong forum, good question. Since he was a blind side protector I wonder if he could be moved to the left side for a right handed qb?

sports24/7
01-27-2006, 08:31 PM
From what I have heard he is a projected LT in the NFL.

Awsi Dooger
01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
He's very athletic for a RT. He could play LT but at that position his feet and athletic ability wouldn't be as exceptional as they are for RT.

Again, Justice started at RT dating from his freshman year in '02 when Carson Palmer was at QB. The aspect of Justice playing RT because it was Leinart's blind side is overblown but apparently it's a relentless myth.

HysterikiLL
01-28-2006, 04:41 AM
How exactly is Justice the most consistent player in the draft with the least chance of becoming a bust? If I do recall, this guy was suspended his sophomore season and last season was his only dominant year. I am not sure how that justifies having the least chance of becoming a bust.

waltchan
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm very surprised Winston Justice is going into NFL. I personally knew him in high school for four years until his graduation year in 2002. We went to high school together and graduated together at the same time. I believe he enrolled in the Beach Academy program. I was this close to forget his name. He was one of the nicest African-American students I had ever known. He played football so hard that sometimes he would skip classes. If you want to know more about him and his times at high school, send me a PM, and maybe I can remember. I'm a singer and artist and will be famous one day, and maybe I can reunite Winston Justice again.

Winston Justice's old classmate,

Walter Chan (Walt C)