PDA

View Full Version : really dumb rookie questions

spanish jonny
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I've been playing madden for years on the ps2. Didn't know you could play online. Can this be done with PC, Xbox, Gamecube? I just presume it can't be done with the ps2? How do I go about playing online?

Also, never heard of this ESPN game. Can you give me more info.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Agent51
01-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi,

I've been playing madden for years on the ps2. Didn't know you could play online. Can this be done with PC, Xbox, Gamecube? I just presume it can't be done with the ps2? How do I go about playing online?

Any help appreciated.

thanks

With PS2 just go to "online play", or however it's worded, in the Game Modes menu (I think that's where it is, not positive, I hardly ever play online). You have to either have a phone line plugged into the PS2 (with a service provider like AOL etc etc) or an ethernet cable plugged into it with a broadband provider. If you have the old PS2 you need to buy the network adapter, if you have the new slim one it's built in. The game should walk you through the setup for online after that, or you can use the online setup disc before you put the game in, it comes with the new slim PS2s and with the netwrok adaptor that you buy for the older PS2s.

As far as ESPN I personally wasn't a fan but MANY people say it was better than Madden. I think the presentation was great, better than Madden. It had Chris Berman and all the ESPN/Sportscenter graphic layouts and stuff, and you could watch sportscenters before games and highlights during halftime, it was pretty cool. They gameplay however did not impress me at all, it felt MUCH too arcady for me, like passes just floated forever and runnign felt very loose. It felt very similar to NFL Fever IMHO. Again, this is just MY opinion, I'm not trying to start another Madden vs ESPN war, lol.

AquaInferno
01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi,

Any help appreciated.

thanks

I play Madden online all the time, what you need first is the Net adapter, unless you have the Slim PS2. If you have an Xbox you need to have Xbox live, for PC you need to subscribe and pay to play online (last I knew) For Gamecube, well Gamecube online is a joke they only have 1 online game Phantasy Star. (Nintendo's obviously a little behind on the times, see N64..)

Anywho let's assume you have an older PS2. Buy the net adapter (About $30) You run the setup cd and make sure you have either the modem in the PS2's net adapter, a wire from your router, or phone line if you're a dialupper
After running the setup cd and saving the settings to your memory card, insert Madden and start the game. Enter game modes and choose play online, from here you'll have to create a username etc. With the PS2 you'll wanna sign up with the free ESPN sponsored version, they want your email addy so I gave em my decoy spam email.

Anyway if you got any questions ask, also be specific with what you have (Internet connection, console, etc.) Tell me what you're workin with and I'll get you online.

(I know Agent replied, he's a smart dude, but I play online a lot so I know how to connect and have done it with Xbox, PS2 and could for PC if I felt like payin)

Mike13
01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
You can play madden online for the PS2 and Xbox

spanish jonny
01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I play Madden online all the time, what you need first is the Net adapter, unless you have the Slim PS2. If you have an Xbox you need to have Xbox live, for PC you need to subscribe and pay to play online (last I knew) For Gamecube, well Gamecube online is a joke they only have 1 online game Phantasy Star. (Nintendo's obviously a little behind on the times, see N64..)

Anywho let's assume you have an older PS2. Buy the net adapter (About $30) You run the setup cd and make sure you have either the modem in the PS2's net adapter, a wire from your router, or phone line if you're a dialupper
After running the setup cd and saving the settings to your memory card, insert Madden and start the game. Enter game modes and choose play online, from here you'll have to create a username etc. With the PS2 you'll wanna sign up with the free ESPN sponsored version, they want your email addy so I gave em my decoy spam email.

Anyway if you got any questions ask, also be specific with what you have (Internet connection, console, etc.) Tell me what you're workin with and I'll get you online.

(I know Agent replied, he's a smart dude, but I play online a lot so I know how to connect and have done it with Xbox, PS2 and could for PC if I felt like payin)

Thanks for the reply lads,

I have the slim PS2. And I'm on broadband. I connected a an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the modem to the back of the PS2, went into game modes and clicked on 'find game link'. It starting searching for a link but never found one. I'm sure there are loads of things I'm supposed to be doing before all that but dunno what they are. I only registered the PS2 online yesterday and they are sending out a network access disc so I probably need this before I can do anything further.

AquaInferno
01-20-2006, 08:05 PM
More than likely you just need the network DVD, I never took a slim PS2 online, but I'd imagine it be the same as the bulky PS2.

spanish jonny
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
what level should you be at before playing against people online. I'm pretty addicted to the game but I have to play with the Dolphins against non-fins and don't want to do this until I'm at the level I should be to beat the other *@#&'s.

I can beat most all-madden teams by 20 or so but have never played against another person, only the CPU and as you know there are certain plays that will always work against the PS2 that wouldn't against a person

mor911
01-20-2006, 08:47 PM
what level should you be at before playing against people online. I'm pretty addicted to the game but I have to play with the Dolphins against non-fins and don't want to do this until I'm at the level I should be to beat the other *@#&'s.

I can beat most all-madden teams by 20 or so but have never played against another person, only the CPU and as you know there are certain plays that will always work against the PS2 that wouldn't against a person
The computer will never prepare you bro. Every online game will be different. Different person = different play styles. The only way to prepare to play people online IMO is to play online. Good luck. :D

PS -- Don't take my words with too much seriousness, I've never won a game online yet :cry:

spanish jonny
01-20-2006, 08:47 PM
sorry, should have said all-pro by 50 points. I throw more interceptions on all-madden than is humanly possible. I'm a bit drunk after a night out right now and am hoping my typing makes sense!

Having not played online but cannot wait, can anyone tell me the usual rules:

1)can you do the training camp, preseason routines
2)can you trade at the start etc

Agent51
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
sorry, should have said all-pro by 50 points. I throw more interceptions on all-madden than is humanly possible. I'm a bit drunk after a night out right now and am hoping my typing makes sense!

Having not played online but cannot wait, can anyone tell me the usual rules:

1)can you do the training camp, preseason routines
2)can you trade at the start etc

I don't play Madden online much, I think I've played like 2 games total online, haha. Lately though (the past 3 days) I have been heavy into NCAA Football 06 online. My friends back home and I have tourney's every night. I lost my first game because I hadn't touched NCAA since the day Madden came out, but once I remembered juke is on the right stick instead of the shoulder and stopped hitting the lateral ball button to juke by accident and out of habbit, and got the kick meter timing down, lol, I haven't lost yet. I can't remember about madden, but RANKED games for NCAA are on the All-American skill level, which is the 2nd hardest (Heisman is the hardest). This means that any NON user controlled players will play with the All-American level AI. I'd suggest putting it on whatever level the online play of madden is and playing a bunch of games on that level to get used to the AI, since the game speed is different and everything. Get used to that and then you only have to adapt to your opponents style instead of that AND the faster, smarter AI. Also, when I play with my friends we know who is gonna play before we sign on so I have been doing practices with my teams before I sign on for the game and I usually run my offense against whichever team they will be using's defense, that way I can not only fine tune my plays but use them against the defense I will be playing against, it REALLY helps. That won't really work if you are gonna play random people cu you won't know who they will use, but if ur pre-planning a game with a friend I highly suggest it, its like a scouting report/building a gameplan, and its pretty effective.