PDA

View Full Version : Marbury wan'ts KG in New York

Majpain
01-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Could this happen?I don't wan't KG to go to New York.

finfansince72
01-21-2006, 01:39 AM
What does NY have to trade to Minnesota? Cmon Id give Isiah credit if he could pull this coup off but cmon now, NY doesnt have the ammo to pull this deal off.

Muck
01-21-2006, 01:56 AM
What does NY have to trade to Minnesota? Cmon Id give Isiah credit if he could pull this coup off but cmon now, NY doesnt have the ammo to pull this deal off.

Wanny, I mean Isiah could trade some draft picks.

Oh wait, he can't.

dominizzo
01-21-2006, 05:58 AM
ITS BS wheres the Link OR the Specualtion

Kobe
01-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Minnesota wont trade KG any time soon...

MikeO
01-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Minnesota wont trade KG any time soon...

They have been talking about trading him all year :shakeno:

K-train
01-21-2006, 11:28 AM
It's going to be hard especially with the salary cap situation that the Knicks have.

Majpain
01-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I saw it on espn.com/nba then it was a little link that took me to insider.

• Rumor Central: Steph, KG both in the Big Apple? (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors) http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/03/in-1.gif

Ferretsquig
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
They have been talking about trading him all year :shakeno:

No the media has been talking about it all year. Fans do tend to confuse the two at times. The TWolves have been continually denying these stupid rumors and even the owner said that Garnett would never be traded. You can start to speculate 3 years from now if Minnesota still sucks but until then any Garnett trade talk will only exist in the minds of the sports writers and their followers.

MikeO
01-21-2006, 01:27 PM
No the media has been talking about it all year. Fans do tend to confuse the two at times. The TWolves have been continually denying these stupid rumors and even the owner said that Garnett would never be traded. You can start to speculate 3 years from now if Minnesota still sucks but until then any Garnett trade talk will only exist in the minds of the sports writers and their followers.

where there is smoke there is fire. The media has better things to do than just make stuff up out of thin air! :shakeno:

MikeO
01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
It's going to be hard especially with the salary cap situation that the Knicks have.

The Knicks salary cap situation isn't awful. Problem is any team that trades with them wants Channing Frye and Isiah can't part with Frye who is a future star and a superstar in the making potentialy.

Ferretsquig
01-21-2006, 02:20 PM
where there is smoke there is fire. The media has better things to do than just make stuff up out of thin air! :shakeno:

:sidelol:
Ah well....sad thing is you probably believe that.

And NY couldnt trade any of its contracts this year...even if they included Frye, Lee, or Nate. The only way it happens if they get another cap albatross in return. Marbury, Q, Crawford, James....all have 4+ years on their overinflated contracts. In the NBA that means they are untradable.

MikeO
01-21-2006, 03:29 PM
:sidelol:
Ah well....sad thing is you probably believe that.

And NY couldnt trade any of its contracts this year...even if they included Frye, Lee, or Nate. The only way it happens if they get another cap albatross in return. Marbury, Q, Crawford, James....all have 4+ years on their overinflated contracts. In the NBA that means they are untradable.

Nobody is untradable in this league.

And the media doesn't make things up. Garnett has been shopped around this year. Put your head in the sand if you believe otherwise.

GreenMonster
01-21-2006, 03:38 PM
The Knicks salary cap situation isn't awful. Problem is any team that trades with them wants Channing Frye and Isiah can't part with Frye who is a future star and a superstar in the making potentialy.

Are you kidding. Pretty much everyone on the roster is untradable at any real value.

List of bad contracts: Crawford, Curry, Davis, Hardaway, James, Marbury, Richardson, Rose, Taylor..

The only good thing they have coming up is Hardaway and Davis come off the books finally saving them some cash. The problem is that the only player that any team will really want is Frye, who if Isiah trades will solidify his status as the worst GM ever..

MikeO
01-21-2006, 05:03 PM
You know little if you think Marbury is untradeable!

In this league a player of that talent is always tradeable.

finswin56
01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
NY would be better served sending Marbury to Minnesota. He is, IMO, one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

MikeO
01-21-2006, 07:31 PM
NY would be better served sending Marbury to Minnesota. He is, IMO, one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

Well that is inaccurate. I know a lot of people don't like him but since joining the Knicks he has turned his character around and he is still an all world talent. Not many guards in this league avg anything near 20-10 (pts/ast) for a career. Currently he is at 20-9 or so. the guys who average that you can count on one hand in the history of the league!

phunwin
01-21-2006, 08:06 PM

You're absolutely right, Mike. After all, they've only got $93M in guaranteed salary on the books for 2006-7. That's a full $30 million less than what they're paying now. Progress, there's no stopping it!

The Knicks' salary cap situation would not be beyond salvaging if someone smarter than Isiah was running the show. In 2007-8, they're at about $49 million in salary. That at least takes them out of luxury tax territory, although they don't actually get UNDER the cap (i.e. the ability to offer a full max contract) until 2009-10. Of course, Frye, Robinson and Lee all hit free agency that year, but that's another story.

Unfortunately, Isiah will do things like offer fat, talentless stiffs a full midlevel exception. Did you know Jerome James has a player option for $6.6 million in 2009-10? If he hasn't died of a cholesterol induced heart attack by then, or been strangled by the same hitman Isiah's hiring to take out Bill Simmons, I'm pretty sure he'll exercise that.

So, as long as Zeke's in charge, the situation IS hopeless.

I will add, however, that I think Minnesota probably will trade KG this year, though anyone who believes it will be to NY is seriously delusional. Expiring contracts and Channing Frye won't get that deal done.

Ferretsquig
01-21-2006, 09:07 PM
You know little if you think Marbury is untradeable!

In this league a player of that talent is always tradeable.

So who was the last 29 yr old with 4 yrs left on a max contract to be traded? Take your time...

finswin56
01-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Well that is inaccurate. I know a lot of people don't like him but since joining the Knicks he has turned his character around and he is still an all world talent. Not many guards in this league avg anything near 20-10 (pts/ast) for a career. Currently he is at 20-9 or so. the guys who average that you can count on one hand in the history of the league!Sorry, but I just don't like point guards that think they're a 2. I don't remember many of his teams having much success.

finfansince72
01-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Nobody is untradable in this league.

And the media doesn't make things up. Garnett has been shopped around this year. Put your head in the sand if you believe otherwise.

Well thats true no one is untradable- -as long as Isiah is GM for the Knicks. Sadly you can't trade with yourself or Isiah would have traded Crawford, James, and a few others already-probaly for players with longer contracts.

MikeO
01-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry, but I just don't like point guards that think they're a 2. I don't remember many of his teams having much success.

As an 8 seed when he was in Phoenix he almost beat the 1 seed Spurs all by himself! Took him to a game 5! That Suns team STUNK....and for those 5 games Marbury carried that team.

He has played on bad teams his whole career pretty much. He was in Phoneix before they got good. He was in Minny when they were still in expansion mode. And he is in NY on a god awful NY team.

The guy isn't the greatest or anything, but as I said you can count on 1 hand in the history of the NBA the number of guards who avg 20pts/10ast! On ONE HAND!

phunwin
01-22-2006, 02:10 PM
As an 8 seed when he was in Phoenix he almost beat the 1 seed Spurs all by himself! Took him to a game 5! That Suns team STUNK....and for those 5 games Marbury carried that team.

He has played on bad teams his whole career pretty much. He was in Phoneix before they got good. He was in Minny when they were still in expansion mode. And he is in NY on a god awful NY team.

The guy isn't the greatest or anything, but as I said you can count on 1 hand in the history of the NBA the number of guards who avg 20pts/10ast! On ONE HAND!

Technically speaking, Marbury took them to a game 6; it was a best of 7 series. And that team had Amare Stoudemire, so they couldn't have been TOO bad.

That said, I don't think anyone questions Marbury's ability or talent (or they shouldn't), or his production. The problem is that he's a very gifted point guard who doesn't do as much to make his teammates better as he should. New Jersey swapped him for Jason Kidd and immediately went from lottery team to contender. Marbury's assist numbers are consistently impressive, yes, but when was the last time you could say he improved the play of one of his teammates?

There's also the impression, fair or not, that he's a coach-killer (in Marbury's defense, he's gotten along surprisingly well with Larry Brown) and consistent headache. It's been written that Marbury's "posse" is one of the biggest pains in the rear in the NBA and is a huge headache for a front office to deal with. Is that a huge problem on its own? Of course not. But add in the perception of Marbury, and the massive contract, and suddenly, he's a lot harder to trade if you plan to get more than 60 cents on the dollar.

So he's certainly not untradeable, but if the Knicks want near-equal value, he probably is. In terms of pure basketball ability, a Marbury and Frye for Garnett deal is perfectly reasonable. But if Zeke offered that to the T-Wolves, they'd giggle and hang up, and so would any other GM In the same position.

In any event, the subject of this thread was the prospect of Garnett AND Marbury together in NY. There is absolutely no way that will happen.

Boik14
01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
For those who say Marbury stinks/is overrated why is he 1 of only 2 players in NBA history to average 20pts/8 ast a game for his career?

Marbury hasnt even had a good coach in his career until this year and it seems to have taken him all of 25-30 games to really turn a corner. His stats are a bit down but Brown is happy with the progress hes made. His perimeter D has greatly improved and hes starting to trust teammates.

As far as KG, NYK could conceiveably move their expiring contracts (penny and davis) + curry and Q or Crawford and a pick or something like that. Minny would need to put in cap fillers. Not that I want it but it would be a decent package. It frees up cap space and gives Minny 2 good young talents to build with Wally.

Lastly, while Isiah deserves some heat for 1 bad trade (the Van Horn/Tim thomas one) and 1 bad Fa signing (Jerome James) he deserves praise for a his draft picks and other trades. Im kinda neutral on the Kurt Thomas/Q deal (loved Kurt for his effort but hes older). He got Marbury for poop. He got Curry for poop + NYK's #1 (but since curry is better than any big man coming out this year Isiah filled a need and with a young cheap player), getting Crawford for poop, dealing Nazr Mohammed for Rose and 2 1st rd picks, dealing poop to get mo taylor, drafting young talent like Ariza (a jumper away from being a good player; already a strong defender who can get to the hoop), Lee/nate/Frye. In short if they dumped Isiah, they better at least keep him as director of scouting. the man can clearly draft and given the roster he took over with little in the way of talent or tradeable commidities he really hasnt done a bad job there at all. He made a bad cap situation worse but until the Allan Houston rule got put in NYK looked cap f'd until 200-whatever anyway

finfansince72
01-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Defending Isiah is pretty weak. Yea he made some good draft picks, hey even a blind squirel will find a few nuts every now and then. Isiah is terrible, the Knicks are terrible, how else are we supposed to judge this guy? He has the highest payroll and one of the worst teams, how is this anything but inept? Id hire Wannestadt to run my football team before I hired Isiah to run my basketball team.