PDA

View Full Version : Review - Xbox Call Of Duty 2: Big Red One

JPhinfan86
01-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Well this is my first review in quite awhile, i'm now back from surgery and able to type at least so i'll do this as much as possible. :lol:

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One is very obviously a shift in the series that is undeniably influenced by the success of the Brothers in Arms series. The shift is in telling the story of an actual unit. That's actually ok because i'm all for telling the stories (if done CORRECTLY). However, I feel this is a step back from Finest Hour. The character models look too much like those found in MoH: Frontline (those were downright hideous). While not as bad as the MoH models, they have something that reminds me of them and its irritating. Another issue is A.I. Your squadmates are often as dumb as a box of rocks. They'll take forever to breach a door then they'll go just barely inside the door, turn around and face you while you try to shoot who ever is on the other side. Frustrating. Another issue: The Normandy invasion that was Operation Overlord - D-Day. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited that hopefully someone had finally done the D-Day invasion correctly. MoH: Frontline failed and no one has tried since then. Well I had heard that you play D-Day in this CoD installment and I was pumped. Then I was severely let down when I came to realize that you don't get to go in on the Higgins boats.....the FREAKIN' HIGGINS BOATS!!! Ok, now you may say "but maybe the BIG RED ONE didn't invade on the Higgins boats". They did and Activision really should have pursued that, it almost makes or breaks this title for me. :fire: Instead of the Higgins you cruise in behind the initial invasion on a lunky old steamboat with little opposition.

One really nice plus for this series. They do a nice job of involving the player in the air battles that occured in this conflict. You play the man in the machine gunner bubble on the bombers. NICE. I believe they do it well too. :up: You also get to lay in a bubble that allows you to align bomb paths. You can see the various enemy naval units in the sea WAAAY below you that you're siting. This creates a fantastic sense of height. I don't mean to say I don't like this game I LOVE IT. I just have a hard time not picking it apart after play Brothers In Arms. The "T" rating hurts this game when comparted to BIA but nonetheless, I give this game an 7 3/4 out of 10.

One cool note: I don't know if any of you have watched the Band of Brothers series on HBO (my lovely girlfriend spend $117 on the box set for X-mas for me) but a few of the cast members have actually done voice over for this series. Bill Guarnere for instance and others as well. I bought the Collector's Edition of CoD 2 so I get to see these things. Being that Band of Brothers tell essentially the same story as Brothers In Arms I kinda wish those guys had done THOSE voice overs but still. :dunno: :lol:

Boone
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
One cool note: I don't know if any of you have watched the Band of Brothers series on HBO (my lovely girlfriend spend $117 on the box set for X-mas for me)
That's too bad...my lovely wife spent $69 on Band of Brothers for me this Christmas. :tongue:

JPhinfan86
01-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Yea no joke. My girlfriend bought it about 2 months ahead of time. That's what she gets for planning ahead. :lol:

Bruzer
01-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I didnt like big red one I prefer COD2 for computerp. It was an ok game but a lot worse than the PC COD2 in my opinion.

PeaTearGriffin
01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
the best COD is still the original on the PC IMO. COD2 is good but the multiplayer isn't as good as the first one.

Majpain
01-24-2006, 02:13 PM
eww COD.terrible gameplay.

PeaTearGriffin
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
the PC version was great

i'm curious what did you find wrong with the gameplay?

Majpain
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
dont get me wrong alot of people like COD because of the graphics but once you play RO COD doesn't compare to gameplay.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/