Dors156
12-27-2005, 06:49 PM
on espn.watch it.could be our guy next year

bg34
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Your joking right??

mbsinmisc
12-27-2005, 07:01 PM
i dont hate whitehurst. he has had a couple of different o-coordinators, and he has been hurt a little , but he could be a steal in the third.

adamprez2003
12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
The guy hasn't impressed me this year. I think this is the thrid game I've seen of him in 2005 and he seems like someone you might take a shot at in the later rounds but nothing to get excited over

Nappy Roots
12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
i dont hate whitehurst. he has had a couple of different o-coordinators, and he has been hurt a little , but he could be a steal in the third.

he wont go in the 3rd. he'll go 2nd day

Jaj
12-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Probably somewhere around there yes unless he runs some incredible time and weighs in at a strong 225 lbs. He's physically very impressive because he can scramble too. I prefer Croyle though because of the way he throws the deep ball and his team leadership ability.

ckparrothead
12-27-2005, 07:39 PM
If that article was right about Whitehurst's throwing shoulder...woofa. Watch out. He's got so many tools. His accuracy is good too.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 07:41 PM
If that article was right about Whitehurst's throwing shoulder...woofa. Watch out. He's got so many tools. His accuracy is good too.
Just out of curiosity CK, who is your sleeper QB?

KB21
12-27-2005, 07:45 PM
He's completed 67% of his passes on the year with a 7.33 yards per attempt average. That's pretty impressive and is definitely a bounce back from his junior year. This year seems to be more in line with his sophomore season, where he completed around 62% of his passes with a 7.6 yards per attempt average.

He's got a complete package of tools to work with. You probably aren't going to find a quarterback with a stronger arm than Charlie Whitehurst, and he brings a great deal of mobility to the table. As they said in the game today, Whitehurst can run, but he's much more comfortable in the pocket. That's a much better trait to have than say Vince Young, who is more comfortable out of the pocket than in the pocket.

This guy is a first round talent who has a very high upside if he puts it all together at the next level.

Nappy Roots
12-27-2005, 07:47 PM
He's completed 67% of his passes on the year with a 7.33 yards per attempt average. That's pretty impressive and is definitely a bounce back from his junior year. This year seems to be more in line with his sophomore season, where he completed around 62% of his passes with a 7.6 yards per attempt average.

He's got a complete package of tools to work with. You probably aren't going to find a quarterback with a stronger arm than Charlie Whitehurst, and he brings a great deal of mobility to the table. As they said in the game today, Whitehurst can run, but he's much more comfortable in the pocket. That's a much better trait to have than say Vince Young, who is more comfortable out of the pocket than in the pocket.

This guy is a first round talent who has a very high upside if he puts it all together at the next level.

no doubting that. he has 1st round talent, with undrafted result

Jaj
12-27-2005, 07:47 PM
no doubting that. he has 1st round talent, with undrafted result

That accuracy though is not common...

Jnaledu3
12-27-2005, 07:50 PM

No way. Hes an easy first day pick.

Id say hes somewhere between Kyle Orton and Charlie Frye of last year. But he has more talent than both of them, he just has not put it together yet and has not been consistant.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Id say hes somewhere between Kyle Orton and Charlie Frye of last year. But he has more talent than both of them, he just has not put it together yet and has not been consistant.

Yes he certainly has the talent no question. He better throw a couple TDs soon to impress the national media though.

SackArtist
12-27-2005, 07:56 PM
He's completed 67% of his passes on the year with a 7.33 yards per attempt average.

I haven't watched him play alot but today it looks like hes throwing alot of Wide Receiver screens which is why his completion % is so high. Of the few games I watched him play, he's always overthrowing his Receivers and I don't think his completion % really interprets his accuracy.

SackArtist
12-27-2005, 07:58 PM
That accuracy though is not common...

:rolleyes: You must not be watching the same game I am.

Nappy Roots
12-27-2005, 07:59 PM

i really doubt it.

Mike13
12-27-2005, 08:06 PM
He won't go in the first round although he is talented enough to be a 1st day pick. If he has a good combine he will go in the second IMO. He will be a steal, but he seems like a project.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 08:07 PM
He threw a very difficult pass just maybe a tenth of a second too late, but that was an impressive run.

SackArtist
12-27-2005, 08:12 PM
He missed a wide open tight end in the middle of the end zone on that incompletion in the endzone.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Wide open? What?

utahphinsfan
12-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I have nothing against Whitehurst. Cutler then Gradkowski are my preferences for possible selections by Nick

mbsinmisc
12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Question to CK/LT... How do you rate Whitehurst, which round likely drafted, fit our system, drawbacks, anything else relavent. Iknow you guys get overwhelmed with this stuff, but any thoughts would be appreciated by all.

SackArtist
12-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Wide open? What?

I have Tivo. :D

his other tight end was waving at him and Whitehurst didn't see it. BTW the announcer pointed that out too. It was almost a TD anyways so I can't argue with that.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 08:29 PM
I guess, he is pretty capable moving around though I must say that.

KB21
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Question to CK/LT... How do you rate Whitehurst, which round likely drafted, fit our system, drawbacks, anything else relavent. Iknow you guys get overwhelmed with this stuff, but any thoughts would be appreciated by all.

Someone mentioned Bruce Gradkowski earlier. Bruce is a nice quarterback and will probably do very well in the league at some point, but he's a bad fit for the offense the Dolphins run. As with any position, the Dolphins have critical factors they look at relative to the quarterback position. One of the things that stands out as a critical factor is a strong arm. Gradkowski doesn't really have a downfield passing attack type of arm. I think he will fit in very well with a team that runs a west coast style though.

Now, Charlie Whitehurst has at least three of the critical factors that the Dolphins are looking at. He's got the size they want, the arm strength, and the mobility. The question about Whitehurst has always been whether or not it will finally click with him. I think he's potentially a great fit for the Dolphins offense. The only quarterback that would probably be a better fit is Jay Cutler.

Jaj
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Someone mentioned Bruce Gradkowski earlier. Bruce is a nice quarterback and will probably do very well in the league at some point, but he's a bad fit for the offense the Dolphins run. As with any position, the Dolphins have critical factors they look at relative to the quarterback position. One of the things that stands out as a critical factor is a strong arm. Gradkowski doesn't really have a downfield passing attack type of arm. I think he will fit in very well with a team that runs a west coast style though.

Now, Charlie Whitehurst has at least three of the critical factors that the Dolphins are looking at. He's got the size they want, the arm strength, and the mobility. The question about Whitehurst has always been whether or not it will finally click with him. I think he's potentially a great fit for the Dolphins offense. The only quarterback that would probably be a better fit is Jay Cutler.

I think Croyle also could succeed in this offense, but I have one doubt about Cutler. Is he really that accurate downfield? I view him similar to Losman when he came out of college where he had a cannon but couldn't hit perfectly from range.

Spicy Henne
12-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I was watching Tye Hill in the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed in the least. They weren't throwing his direction, so that may speak to his abilities as a cover guy, but he is flat out afraid to hit anyone.
I don't expect a great tackler at the CB position, but I don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

Buddwalk
12-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I was watching Tye Hill in the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed in the least. They weren't throwing his direction, so that may speak to his abilities as a cover guy, but he is flat out afraid to hit anyone.
I don't expect a great tackler at the CB position, but I don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

Deion Sanders ;)

Motion
12-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Save the flaming but............ He reminds me of Big Ben. Same build and style.

KB21
12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I think Croyle also could succeed in this offense, but I have one doubt about Cutler. Is he really that accurate downfield? I view him similar to Losman when he came out of college where he had a cannon but couldn't hit perfectly from range.

Croyle has a very good downfield arm, but he isn't very mobile and has some size disadvantages. Now, I'm the last person that would rate mobility high in a quarterback, and I like Croyle overall. I'm not sure the Dolphins will though. I really believe the Dolphins want to find them a big, strong armed, mobile quarterback to run this offense in the future.

Cutler has some mechanical issues to work out that will improve his downfield accuracy. You have to realize that Bobby Johnson, the coach at Vanderbilt, runs an option style of system. Cutler wasn't coached to be a quarterback, but he let his natural quarterback skills take over despite the offense. He will need some coaching, but the guy has a package of skills that reminds a lot of scouts that I've talked to of Brett Favre.

Motion
12-27-2005, 10:38 PM
.....the guy has a package of skills that reminds a lot of scouts that I've talked to of Brett Favre.

Quoted for Budd

TerryTate
12-27-2005, 11:39 PM
I watched him from the Clemson sideline today at the Champs Sports Bowl. Wasn't that impressed.

Dolfan_Noles
01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Charlie Whitehurst. I got to see a lot of this guy in the ACC and thought he was excellent. Great arm strength, leadership, intangibles. Good decision maker too. I know that there are about 20 names out there right now, but just wanted to add another to the list.

PHINSfan
01-22-2006, 06:07 PM
and the kid has good size too. I like him and Coyle in the 3rd rd area.
A draft like this would be great:
1. Huff
2. Withworth
3. Croyle or Whitehurst

saves
01-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Great arm strength, leadership, intangibles. Good decision maker too.

The ones in bold are the things I've head that he is poor at. No one is questioning his physical skills.

paskerbrandon
01-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Well let me just say this.. Unless we pick up a big name QB in the Off-season we might just see Whitehurst as our QB of the future.. IF and only IF Cutler isint there at 16, we are almost guarenteed to get either Jacobs, Croyle, Whitehurst or Hackney...

djfresh47
01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Well let me just say this.. Unless we pick up a big name QB in the Off-season we might just see Whitehurst as our QB of the future.. IF and only IF Cutler isint there at 16, we are almost guarenteed to get either Jacobs, Croyle, Whitehurst or Hackney...

Didn't Hackney measure in at like 5'11?

WaxOn WaxOff
01-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Whitehurst, the North's offensive MVP, directed a seamless drive after Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler was ineffective on the first two series. The Clemson quarterback was perfect on five attempts for 66 yards, lofting a 15-yard scoring pass to Colorado tight end Joe Klopfenstein and finishing 7-of-9 for 90 yards.

Ok, guys. Time to consider him in the 2nd/3rd/4th round...or Croyle. Does everyone here know..He's 6'5", has a cannon, and his dad was an NFL QB? He had an off year as a junior, but take that one year out and his college stats are pretty impressive. Did I mention he PLAYED the entire year (this year) with a hurt shoulder? Pretty tough. He's had shoulder surgery since the season ended, despite that he showed well this week in practice and in the game.....

Caps
01-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Whitehurst, the North's offensive MVP, directed a seamless drive after Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler was ineffective on the first two series. The Clemson quarterback was perfect on five attempts for 66 yards, lofting a 15-yard scoring pass to Colorado tight end Joe Klopfenstein and finishing 7-of-9 for 90 yards.

Ok, guys. Time to consider him in the 2nd/3rd/4th round...or Croyle. Does everyone here know..He's 6'5", has a cannon, and his dad was an NFL QB? He had an off year as a junior, but take that one year out and his college stats are pretty impressive. Did I mention he PLAYED the entire year (this year) with a hurt shoulder? Pretty tough. He's had shoulder surgery since the season ended, despite that he showed well this week in practice and in the game.....

I would draft him in the 4th round, MAYBE in the 3rd if he has great workouts.

Jaj
01-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Same here. This is sickening now everybody completely jumps off the Cutler bandwagon(even though they had never even watched him play). It's like every single person today believes they're draft experts and great at player evaluation and Kiper who himself said Cutler has done enough to be a top 10 pick is wrong. Great job GMs in the making... :shakeno:

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 10:28 PM
rather have Croyle, but wouldn't be too disappointed with drafting Whitehurst later on..

Bonedoc7777
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I dont know much about college football, but i watched the senior bowl and this guy really looked comfortable in the pocket who the heck is he?

fishypete
01-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Same here. This is sickening now everybody completely jumps off the Cutler bandwagon(even though they had never even watched him play). It's like every single person today believes they're draft experts and great at player evaluation and Kiper who himself said Cutler has done enough to be a top 10 pick is wrong. Great job GMs in the making... :shakeno:

Like Kiper is never wrong...tisk..tisk.. Jai...Remember last year how everyone was so hot for Rodgers...many here....but when it came to being real...he dropped like a rock. If people would look with their eyes and not listen with their ears....you wouldn't have so many hyped up players.

Cutler has done nothing more than Croyle, Whitehurst...actually less in many eye's...in the senior bowl. At best in Kipers own words...Cutlers practices have been average....he now say's that Cutlers accuracy is so-so...yet he still states that Cutler is a top ten draft pick....yet he also claims that Croyle was outstanding...very strong arm...very accurate....but he's a 2nd rounder...now anyone with common sense would say....what is he smoking?

Jaj
01-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Like Kiper is never wrong...tisk..tisk.. Jai...Remember last year how everyone was so hot for Rodgers...many here....but when it came to being real...he dropped like a rock. If people would look with their eyes and not listen with their ears....you wouldn't have so many hyped up players.

Cutler has done nothing more than Croyle, Whitehurst...actually less in many eye's...in the senior bowl. At best in Kipers own words...Cutlers practices have been average....he now say's that Cutlers accuracy is so-so...yet he still states that Cutler is a top ten draft pick....yet he also claims that Croyle was outstanding...very strong arm...very accurate....but he's a 2nd rounder...now anyone with common sense would say....what is he smoking?

Tisk Tisk, and my is Jaj. Let me guess you know more than Kiper? Kiper only seems wrong because he's the only talent evaluator that puts his head out to make dynamic picks and gives all of his information widely to the public. He's actually right much of the time. Cutler is that much more physically talented than Croyle, he's the perfect QB physically and he has a fast release. Your completely underestimating him. If people looked with their eyes and evaluated one game as you are now Dan Marino in his last game would have been a scrub in his entire career. :rolleyes:

HelloMotto
01-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I dont know much about college football, but i watched the senior bowl and this guy really looked comfortable in the pocket who the heck is he?

a dark horse for us in the draft.

Jaj
01-28-2006, 10:41 PM
He's probably a late third rounder or so.

My rankings are

1) Young
2) Leinart
3) Cutler
4) Croyle
5) Jacobs
6) Whitehurst
7) Gradkowski

fishypete
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Tisk Tisk, and my is Jaj. Let me guess you know more than Kiper? Kiper only seems wrong because he's the only talent evaluator that puts his head out to make dynamic picks and gives all of his information widely to the public. He's actually right much of the time. Cutler is that much more physically talented than Croyle, he's the perfect QB physically and he has a fast release. Your completely underestimating him. If people looked with their eyes and evaluated one game as you are now Dan Marino in his last game would have been a scrub in his entire career. :rolleyes:

Sorry JAJ...Having a fast release and a strong arm isn't the item that gets you into the first round....accuracy is...and what you do with that strong arm, the mental part of the game...if only having a strong arm was needed to be a NFL QB....we wouldn't have had the superbowl winners we have had. Favre had a strong arm...may I say stronger than Cutlers...but he was a 2nd round draft pick. Do you think Cutler is a better QB than what Favre is? I don't think you do...so why pay more for him?

fishypete
01-28-2006, 10:47 PM

By the way...I may not know more than Kiper...but the people I trust do...they are former scouts and have alot more knowledge than Kiper will ever have.

thomasdan15
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
I saw him a few times and he looked good to me. I think he had some injury problems this year though or he would be higher up on everyone's lists

Jaj
01-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Sorry JAJ...Having a fast release and a strong arm isn't the item that gets you into the first round....accuracy is...and what you do with that strong arm, the mental part of the game...if only having a strong arm was needed to be a NFL QB....we wouldn't have had the superbowl winners we have had. Favre had a strong arm...may I say stronger than Cutlers...but he was a 2nd round draft pick. Do you think Cutler is a better QB than what Favre is? I don't think you do...so why pay more for him?

Favre wasn't Favre that many years ago comon. He was basically J.P. Losman, an uncontrolled gunslinger.

Jaj
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I saw him a few times and he looked good to me. I think he had some injury problems this year though or he would be higher up on everyone's lists

It's his inconsistency that has hurt him more.

ryanhayes96
01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
we should take him

Mile High Fin
01-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I can't wait to see who Saban takes as his QB of the future....

fishypete
01-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I can't wait to see who Saban takes as his QB of the future....

Better watch the All Star College Challenge then...cause Saban will have a front seat...watching Young, Olson and Croyle.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Favre wasn't Favre that many years ago comon. He was basically J.P. Losman, an uncontrolled gunslinger.

And from Kipers own words....Cutler's accuracy is only so-so.

Jaj
01-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Better watch the All Star College Challenge then...cause Saban will have a front seat...watching Young, Olson and Croyle.

What would be really funny is if each of them has to bow before Emperor Saban atop of his gigantic castle he's building inside Dolphin Stadium(that's the actual construction) :goof:

Jaj
01-28-2006, 11:05 PM
And from Kipers own words....Cutler's accuracy is only so-so.

That doesn't mean he can't be a 1st rounder. Numerous QBs have done so. His accuracy is so-so for a top ten pick yes, but compared to the other QBs in the mid rounds it's better. I am in no way in favor of trading a bunch of picks to get Cutler, but I don't see any excuse to pick anyone over him at 16, other than say Jimmy Williams if he's somehow there.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 11:07 PM
What would be really funny is if each of them has to bow before Emperor Saban atop of his gigantic castle he's building inside Dolphin Stadium(that's the actual construction) :goof:

I thought thats where all the cheerleaders were going to hang out. O'Well.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
That doesn't mean he can't be a 1st rounder. Numerous QBs have done so. His accuracy is so-so for a top ten pick yes, but compared to the other QBs in the mid rounds it's better. I am in no way in favor of trading a bunch of picks to get Cutler, but I don't see any excuse to pick anyone over him at 16, other than say Jimmy Williams if he's somehow there.

I rather have another player in the first...and take Croyle in the 2nd round...if all possible. I believe Croyle is alot more ready to play because of Shula...and his system. Of course if Miracles could happen...I'd take Young over any of them...but I'm afraid we won't get any miracles.

thomasdan15
01-28-2006, 11:25 PM

I hope the other teams are off Cutlers bandwagon he would be a great pick for us if he is still there.

WaxOn WaxOff
01-28-2006, 11:38 PM

And where did Kiper have Brady ranked Jaj? As for "jumping off the Cutler bandwagon", I never was on it, as I never saw him play. But I have seen Whitehurst play, basically EVERY game since he arrived on campus....as I am an avid Clemson fan and alumni. That is why my post speaks positive of Whitehurst, not negative of anyone. (Unlike your post.... BTW, do you work hard at being an @ss or does it just come natural????)

Jaj
01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
And where did Kiper have Brady ranked Jaj? As for "jumping off the Cutler bandwagon", I never was on it, as I never saw him play. But I have seen Whitehurst play, basically EVERY game since he arrived on campus....as I am an avid Clemson fan and alumni. That is why my post speaks positive of Whitehurst, not negative of anyone. (Unlike your post.... BTW, do you work hard at being an @ss or does it just come natural????)

The man isn't God but give it a break. It's like no one here believes there's a reason he's respected. It wasn't addressed to you and ya it does come natural :rolleyes:

SackArtist
01-28-2006, 11:40 PM

The reason Croyle is still rated a 2nd rounder is because he is injury prone, he tore his ACL in both knees and has a long history of injuries. Croyle is also small. Not short, but he is skinny and doesn't have the frame to pack on much more weight. I don't see how this guy can take the pounding of a starting NFL QB.

Jaj
01-28-2006, 11:42 PM
The reason Croyle is still rated a 2nd rounder is because he is injury prone, he tore his ACL in both knees and has a long history of injuries. Croyle is also small. Not short, but he is skinny and doesn't have the frame to pack on much more weight. I don't see how this guy can take the pounding of a starting NFL QB.

He's not that small. He's what 6-2/6-3ish. He'll be 210 by the time the season starts and that's what Delhomme is.

By the way whoever was promoting Whitehurst, I do like what Whitehurst brings to the table. Sorry if I ruined your vision of this thread :lol:

SackArtist
01-28-2006, 11:44 PM
He's not that small. He's what 6-2/6-3ish. He'll be 210 by the time the season starts and that's what Delhomme is.
I said he's not short, he's 6'2. What I said is he is skinny and has a small frame and I don't think he can put much more weight on it.

PhinSoldia
01-28-2006, 11:47 PM

he has 5th round written all over him

WaxOn WaxOff
01-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Jaj, I owe an apology...re-reading my original post the part about Cutler was not mine, and I didn't make that clear. The 1st paragraph is a quote from a Clemson message board, the 2nd was my own words. I believe the 1st paragraph is a snipet from a Clemson area reporter, but the source was not quoted. I don't have anything bad to say about Cutler or Croyle, I just hope we get someone who can produce at QB soon.

mbsinmisc
01-28-2006, 11:51 PM

Just another example of Kipers hype machine. He has Cutler and Croyle both graded at B, but he says Cutler will be a big time Favre style QB, while he has Croyle described as a spot starter/ career backup. If, (in his opinion), their career paths are so much different, wouldnt you think their grades would be different? Im sure Kiper knows more about football than most, but his expertise is in my opinion is based on a lot of bluster, self promotion, and riding the rising tide of ESPN as it grew from a couple of trailers in Bristol Ct. to a multi billion dollar sports brand. Dont believe the hype.

WaxOn WaxOff
01-28-2006, 11:52 PM
he has 5th round written all over him

If it's the Dolphins 5th, I'm all for it. Then if it's not working out, sell the farm to get Quinn next year....

SackArtist
01-28-2006, 11:53 PM
If it's the Dolphins 5th, I'm all for it. Then if it's not working out, sell the farm to get Quinn next year....
we don't have a 5th (manny wright)

ibemacin
01-29-2006, 01:30 AM

Yea he looked good at Clemson with halfway decent WRs so he is worth the 2nd rounder but no way is he worth a 1st. Could actually end up being our starter at some point in the season, he is pretty good!

WaxOn WaxOff
01-29-2006, 01:37 AM
of the 1st paragraph from my original post... It's the ESPN website recap of the game.

Dolfinite
01-29-2006, 01:48 AM
From what i saw today i think Whitehurst would be a good QB in the NFL,
I personally think hes a bit better than Cutler and Croyle.
Whitehurst has a gun and can scramble, And would fit well in Miami.
I say draft Whitehurst this year and next year draft either Brady Quinn if its possible or Jordan Palmer. :fireman:

Jaj
01-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Jaj, I owe an apology...re-reading my original post the part about Cutler was not mine, and I didn't make that clear. The 1st paragraph is a quote from a Clemson message board, the 2nd was my own words. I believe the 1st paragraph is a snipet from a Clemson area reporter, but the source was not quoted. I don't have anything bad to say about Cutler or Croyle, I just hope we get someone who can produce at QB soon.

Don't worry about it even :D

Caps
01-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Yea he looked good at Clemson with halfway decent WRs so he is worth the 2nd rounder but no way is he worth a 1st. Could actually end up being our starter at some point in the season, he is pretty good!

Spending our second rounder on Whitehurst would be a HUGE reach.

finfan54
01-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Just so people know, I was never hot for Rogers. Never. I trust my instincs more than follow sheep, that doesnt mean i cant be wrong but I go on what i see and then try to sit back and envision life in the NFL for that person.

DolfanTom
01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Spending our second rounder on Whitehurst would be a HUGE reach.
I disagree! I'm all for drafting Cutler if he's there in the first - and I think we should try to make a move up for him if that's a possibility. He didn't play that great, but he's got tons of talent and it's obvious to see.

But if Cutler is gone, Whitehurst is the sleeper of this draft in my opinion. Not that nobody knows about him - I just think he is big-time underrated. I've watched him play about 10 games over the past two seasons and I've been impressed every time.

If we can't get Cutler in one, by all means, draft Whitehurst in the second!! Both could be starters for us at some point next season. Both have played a ton of football at the college level. They're ready to make the move and do this for a living!

Caps
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I disagree! I'm all for drafting Cutler if he's there in the first - and I think we should try to make a move up for him if that's a possibility. He didn't play that great, but he's got tons of talent and it's obvious to see.

But if Cutler is gone, Whitehurst is the sleeper of this draft in my opinion. Not that nobody knows about him - I just think he is big-time underrated. I've watched him play about 10 games over the past two seasons and I've been impressed every time.

If we can't get Cutler in one, by all means, draft Whitehurst in the second!! Both could be starters for us at some point next season. Both have played a ton of football at the college level. They're ready to make the move and do this for a living!

He's projected as a fourth rounder right now. Just because you think he's worth a second doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a reach to take him in the second.

For example, If you knew that Tom Brady would turn into what he is today, would you draft him in the first round? Hell no! You load up on other players you need in the first few rounds, and then you take him where he's projected. If Saban wants Whitehurst, he can get him in the 4th. Theres no need to pass on other quality players with our second just to draft a QB.

mia4ever
01-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Charlie Whitehurst. I got to see a lot of this guy in the ACC and thought he was excellent. Great arm strength, leadership, intangibles. Good decision maker too. I know that there are about 20 names out there right now, but just wanted to add another to the list.

he not a good decision.Will threw a lot of bad pass .but the kid has the size
I give you that

in the tiger off. Charlie threw a lot of short route ,and screen to those Rb. (merriwether)

tylerdolphin
01-29-2006, 01:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2005/01/28/bc.fbc.seniorbowl.ap/index.html

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- Charlie Whitehurst and Michael Robinson flashed different skills for the NFL scouts.

Jay Cutler just hopes he convinced them that he belongs among the nation's elite quarterbacks despite an uneven performance in the North's 31-14 victory over the South in the Senior Bowl on Saturday.

The Vanderbilt star was trying to catch Southern California's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young, two All-Americans who didn't play in the showcase game for top senior NFL prospects.

"I belong in the same group with Leinart and Vince Young, up at the top," Cutler said when asked what he proved during the week's practices.........

I still like Cutler. Hopefully this lowers his stock a little. Maybe Whitehurst is a good option too if we dont go QB in rd 1.

Hostile 17
01-29-2006, 04:16 PM
He's projected as a fourth rounder right now. Just because you think he's worth a second doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a reach to take him in the second.

For example, If you knew that Tom Brady would turn into what he is today, would you draft him in the first round? Hell no! You load up on other players you need in the first few rounds, and then you take him where he's projected. If Saban wants Whitehurst, he can get him in the 4th. There's no need to pass on other quality players with our second just to draft a QB.I agree with you that teams shouldn't drastically overreach, but I think it's a recognized staple of NFL drafting wisdom that teams often draft a need position one level higher than a projected round.

For instance, if a particular team desperately needs a DT, and a good one is projected in the 3rd, that particular team may draft him in the second, just to be certain of procurement. But it would still be foolish, as you said, to draft that same player in the 1st, regardless of desperation.

As Saban rightly points out, teams that often reach to fill a desperate need end up regretting the pick.

dolfrenzy
01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Say what you want about Cutler. He's a good player and has massive upside. I would say better than Leinart. But, with all the hype surrounding Cutler and the performance of Whitehurst, I think Whitehurst may be the project we are looking for in the later rounds.

PhinSoldia
01-29-2006, 04:57 PM
i will be a grandfather before he gets a starting job...he will be a career back-up IMO-he did really well on short throw, he is accurate i will give him that but if he signs with the Dolphins he is not the future of this team

mia4ever
01-29-2006, 05:15 PM
i Concur

jlfin
01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
i will be a grandfather before he gets a starting job...he will be a career back-up IMO-he did really well on short throw, he is accurate i will give him that but if he signs with the Dolphins he is not the future of this team

How can you make such an emphatic (and absurd) statement like that?
By now everyone knows that Brady was a late rd pick and so was Hasslebeck (6th rd). so obviously they weren't that highly regarded and people had doubts about them.
However,I'm sure geniuses like you were on draft chat boards touting both those guys as sleeper picks.

Finfanforever
01-29-2006, 05:42 PM

For whatever its worth... he outplayed BOTH Cutler and Croyle handsdown.

Dolfan_Noles
01-29-2006, 06:32 PM
For whatever its worth... he outplayed BOTH Cutler and Croyle handsdown.

Exactly! You cant overlook that...7/9 90+ and a TD...

mia4ever
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Exactly! You cant overlook that...7/9 90+ and a TD...

you can not overlook his years at clemson

Caps
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
you can not overlook his years at clemson

Agreed. You have to look at his entire body of work. He's been way too inconsistant. He has potential, but he shouldn't be touched until the 4th.

finfan54
01-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Some people develope right at the right time. Aarron Rogers was supposed to be all that, but coaching and systems play alot into things. You also have to go to the right team and these are the things that Saban thinks about as well. I think Croyle is the guy he likes best but I got a funny feeling someone will reach in the second for him. If that happens, I see us getting Whitehurst in the third.

He has the prototype size. If he is coachable, thats half the ball game right there. BTW, Cutler is a wee bit cocky, that is sure to turn some people off.

FINSTER
01-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Say what you want about Cutler. He's a good player and has massive upside. I would say better than Leinart. But, with all the hype surrounding Cutler and the performance of Whitehurst, I think Whitehurst may be the project we are looking for in the later rounds.

I agree. I think we'll end up missing out on Cutler, it'll take an unbelieveable trade up to get him. That leaves us with Croyle or Whitehurst. If Croyle is on the board for us in the second round, I say go with him. However, I do think Norv looked a little enamored with him during the game. SF may grab him before us. We just may be looking at Whitehurst towards the end of day 1.

finfan54
01-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I agree. I think we'll end up missing out on Cutler, it'll take an unbelieveable trade up to get him. That leaves us with Croyle or Whitehurst. If Croyle is on the board for us in the second round, I say go with him. However, I do think Norv looked a little enamored with him during the game. SF may grab him before us. We just may be looking at Whitehurst towards the end of day 1.

My prediction right now is that if Detroit or Arizona do not take him, he will be available to us at 16, and Saban will pass and piss alot of people off. I may be off a bit, but I could see it happen.

PhinSoldia
01-29-2006, 07:40 PM
How can you make such an emphatic (and absurd) statement like that?
By now everyone knows that Brady was a late rd pick and so was Hasslebeck (6th rd). so obviously they weren't that highly regarded and people had doubts about them.
However,I'm sure geniuses like you were on draft chat boards touting both those guys as sleeper picks.

thats the fun thing about opinoins that they differ....i guess its fun for you to rip people's opinions apart to look good in the front of everybody else...nice job more so did you get your orgasm??