PDA

View Full Version : Kojima: 'Games Are Not Art'

mor911
01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
The most recent issue of OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) has an interview with Hideo Kojima. In the article he's asked about his games being pieces of art or masterpieces. He doesn't feel that games are a form of art. Thaought it was interesting. The interview in OPM this month is a much better read... But I can just copy the article into a thread, that'd be wrong. :lol:

According to Kojima, one main reason games aren't art is because videogames are meant to appeal to a much wider range of people than a piece of art. Where an artist is looking to connect with that one special person, videogames are made to be more accessible to more people.

"I don't think they're art either, videogames," he said, referring to Roger Ebert's recent commentary on the same subject. "The thing is, art is something that radiates the artist, the person who creates that piece of art. If 100 people walk by and a single person is captivated by whatever that piece radiates, it's art. But videogames aren't trying to capture one person. A videogame should make sure that all 100 people that play that game should enjoy the service provided by that videogame. It's something of a service. It's not art. But I guess the way of providing service with that videogame is an artistic style, a form of art."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2098&Itemid=2

Motion
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Good read, I read that whole article the other day.

The Mor is really up on his gaming news lately!

mor911
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM

I usually am :D

I've been posting a lot of stuff lately because someone (who will remained un-named) accused me of being an Xbox fanboy. So I've been trying ot bring news from all diferent aspects of the industry.

Mike13
01-23-2006, 08:35 PM

The Mor is the man what do you expect?

JPhinfan86
01-24-2006, 06:48 AM
I believe what Kojima means to imply is that HIS games aren't art....they're crap. He can thank me later. :up:

mor911
01-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I believe what Kojima means to imply is that HIS games aren't art....they're crap. He can thank me later. :up:
Wouldn't go that far. The Mor thinks his games are great.

Motion
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM

:shakeno:

AquaInferno
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't go that far. The Mor thinks his games are great.

I called his game a work of art in the Sam Fisher thread. I think he has a good point tho, cause I'm not the only one lovin the MGS series. Since 1987 ;) this game is offically a staple in the stealth action genre, hate it or love it, you cannot deny that.

AquaInferno
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM

Yeah, that sig of yours HAS to be against the TOS for being too big, thats like 3 sigs in one, couldn't you just pick one... :confused:

JPhinfan86
01-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah, that sig of yours HAS to be against the TOS for being too big, thats like 3 sigs in one, couldn't you just pick one... :confused:
If it were too big trust me they'd warn me...as they should. It wouldn't be the first time, i've had to resize in the past. Do you just not like what I have? or....... :hmmm:

JPhinfan86
01-27-2006, 01:57 AM
:shakeno:
:lol: It can't be ignored that he [Kojima] has a large following...that'd be ignorant. I just mean to say that my boys at Ubisoft have come soooo much closer to creating a believable STEALTH adventure. Realism in plot and execution is on their side. :up:

Motion
01-27-2006, 11:15 AM
:lol: It can't be ignored that he [Kojima] has a large following...that'd be ignorant. I just mean to say that my boys at Ubisoft have come soooo much closer to creating a believable STEALTH adventure. Realism in plot and execution is on their side. :up:

But to call the MGS series crap is just plain ignorant. Its one of the greatest game series there is. SC is good no doubt but not quite on MGS' level.

mor911
01-27-2006, 11:53 AM
But to call the MGS series crap is just plain ignorant. Its one of the greatest game series there is. SC is good no doubt but not quite on MGS' level.
They're both great games/series and they both have very good long futures ahead of them. :D

People often compare MGS to SC and I've never understood why. While MGS has stealth elements, it has never tried to be a full on stealth game. It's more like stealth/action/adventure with a strong emphesis on plot and story. SC on the otherhand is hardcore stealth/espianoge (probly mispelled that) and doesn't quite have the plot/story/and character developement that MGS has. Again, they are both great games, but IMO it's apples and oranges...

Two different audiences. :D

Motion
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
They're both great games/series and they both have very good long futures ahead of them. :D

People often compare MGS to SC and I've never understood why. While MGS has stealth elements, it has never tried to be a full on stealth game. It's more like stealth/action/adventure with a strong emphesis on plot and story. SC on the otherhand is hardcore stealth/espianoge (probly mispelled that) and doesn't quite have the plot/story/and character developement that MGS has. Again, they are both great games, but IMO it's apples and oranges...

Two different audiences. :D

Agree 100%

JPhinfan86
01-28-2006, 03:36 AM
not quite on MGS' level.
And it is a good thing Splinter Cell has chosen not to operate on the same plane as MGS. It has chosen a MORE REALISTIC standpoint in plot, characters and equipment. I didn't mean to make you :boohoo: If you love MGS more power to you....play til your thumbs burn. I would honestly be peeved if Ubisoft bought the stealth genre (much like EA's NFL license.....this can't happen, just hypothetical) because one man's trash is another man's treasure right?

NOTE: I've edited post #5....no longer refering to his games as 'crap'. Revoked. Simmadownnah

PeaTearGriffin
01-28-2006, 05:41 AM
i like both series but i would have to say that i get hooked more by MGS mainly because of the story

mor911
01-28-2006, 05:47 AM
And it is a good thing Splinter Cell has chosen not to operate on the same plane as MGS. It has chosen a MORE REALISTIC standpoint in plot, characters and equipment. I didn't mean to make you :boohoo: If you love MGS more power to you....play til your thumbs burn. I would honestly be peeved if Ubisoft bought the stealth genre (much like EA's NFL license.....this can't happen, just hypothetical) because one man's trash is another man's treasure right?

NOTE: I've edited post #5....no longer refering to his games as 'crap'. Revoked. Simmadownnah
Dude, you're starting crap just for the sake of starting crap. You know the MGS series is't bad. Why start the trash talk?

It was NEVER my intention to make this thread a MGS vs. SC issue. Just accept things the way it is. I love the SC series... I love the MGS series. It doesn't matter! Apples and oranges.

If you really want to play the numbers, MGS has out sold SC by a HUGE margin. That doesn't matter to me, and it shouldn't matter to anyone. They're both great series' and will both be around for a long time.

JPhinfan86
01-28-2006, 05:54 AM
Dude, you're starting crap just for the sake of starting crap. You know the MGS series is't bad.

Yea it was made out to more than it ever should have been. My intention was not to 'start crap'. I stated my opinion and he chimed in...as I said, I revoke the description of 'crap' associated with MGS to quiet the storm. To me MGS is that bad, fortunately not everyone has to see it that way. :up:

JPhinfan86
01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
i like both series but i would have to say that i get hooked more by MGS mainly because of the story
Yea the S.C. series is known for its complex storyline. I had to play the original a few times before I started to piece it all together. It eventually makes complete sense. It is alot like reading one of Clancy's novels. My main problem with MGS is the whole 'mech' thing. It's too far-out for me to take seriously. Well that and how corny Snake is....he is MUCH to similar to "Snake Pliskin" from "Escape from New York" and "Escape form L.A." The voice, the mullet and now the eye patch. Come on. :lol:

JPhinfan86
01-28-2006, 06:25 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
You decide....watch the movies then decide. :lol: :hmmm:

Mike13
01-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Everyone is entitled to thier own opinon, I like the MGS series But I can't compare it to Splinter Cell games because I havent played those games but i hear they are good.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:53 PM

Grow up man. My only comment was that MGS wasn't crap as you stated. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and you have no buisness trying to talk down to someone because they don't agree with your opinion.

JPhinfan86
01-30-2006, 04:34 AM
I apologize, it's really not an issue...cool? :rocker:

AquaInferno
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Another MGS thread ruined by a SC fanboy, in the future avoid thread with the following words in the title: Hideo, Kojima, Konami, Metal, Gear, Solid, Snake.
All your **** talk is extremely annoying, you had no business nosying in just to slam Hideo, it's not even an opinion it's just plain biased :shakeno: