PDA

View Full Version : The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Ray Finkle
01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
With February 18th (Pitchers & Catchers report) exactly 27 days away I think it's about time we start up the annual and official 2006 Boston Red Sox thread. So from now on all Red Sox news/rumors/game discussions will be here for everyone and anyone wanting to chat.

(Cue Harry Doyle from the Major League movies)

Welcome back Red Sox Nation, the team has tons of new faces since we last saw them in October. No more Cowboy Uping, Kevin Millar or endless nights of seeing Edgar Renteria boot balls. Yes Manny Ramirez is still on the team (surprise surprise).....for now. MVP-Runner up David Ortiz aka Big Papi, not to be confused with the Poppy Seed Bagel at your local Dunkin' Donuts shop, is looking to put up another MVP season. Curt Schilling's ankle pain as well as his beer gut are also gone and he's looking to rebound. Speaking of rebounding, Keith Foulke hopefully has his knees and personal life back in shape. Theo is back, but he never left so we'll just move on.

Some of the new faces on this years team: 25 year old stud pitcher and former 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett is here in Boston and hopefully left his blisters behind in Miami. Mike Lowell will be your 2006 Comeback Player of the Year, you heard it hear first and he'll be the first player since 2004 to win the award in the AL who wasn't found taking steriods. Mark Loretta is another new addition and your starting 2nd basemen. Another new addition to the team and Boston Anger Management meetings, Juilian Tarveras who's making his first trip back to Boston since he gave up the game winning home run to Mark Bellhorn (remember him Sox fans?) in the 2004 World Series. But give Tarveras credit at least he didn't punch anything or anyone after that pitch.

Of course any day now the Red Sox could have a new CFer: Covelli Loyce Crisp, nickname Coco. Coco replaces popular Johnny Damon in CF. Coco is not only younger and cheaper than Damon but the new ownership is happy because since Crisp is bald he won't cost Henry and company extra money on electricity for using a hair dryer. Alex Gonzalez, SS, could also be on the team. The most common answer from Sox fans after hearing that is: hey at least he's not Edgar Renteria.

Important dates to remember:
February 23rd- First Full-squad workout
April 3rd- Season opener at Texas
April 11th- Home opener vs. Toronto

Projected Line Up:
CF- Crisp
2B- Loretta
DH- Ortiz
LF- Manny
3B-Lowell
C- Varitek
RF- Nixon
1B- J.T. Snow/Kevin Youkilis
SS- Cora/Gonzalez/Tony Graffinano

Projected Rotation and Pen:
SP:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells
Clement
Arroyo (Pen likely)
Papelbon (Pen likely)

RP:
Tarveras
Timlin
Mota (or Riske depending on what happens)
Saenez
Foulke

Personally I think this team is pretty good up and down, especially if the Crisp deal goes through. Their rotation and pen (if healthy) is very good and deep. If Schilling and Beckett can make 30 starts each and Foulke is back to 2004 form I don't see any reason why the team won't make the playoffs or even win the AL East.

27 days.... 27 days.... thank god it's almost here.

FaninPatsyLand
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
With the Dolphins season having been over for a couple of weeks, the focus steadily turns to the Red Sox.

Welcome to the Finheaven chapter of Red Sox Nation, I know we have lots of Sox fans on this board, the more the merrier.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the news of the trade that lands Coco Crisp in Boston. If this thing goes down, we have a very deep and talented team, and we're getting younger... all good things.

I can't wait, with this team we are going to make some serious noise.. and we still have the games most feared weapon.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Go Sox!

Ray Finkle
01-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I can't wait, with this team we are going to make some serious noise.. and we still have the games most feared weapon.

What about this weapon?

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

PressCoverage
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
well presented... looking forward to the season, and hopefully yankee hijackers show some respect and spew their blather in other threads... :goof:

top priorities in life by Ben Wrightman:

"i'll say Red Sox, sex... and breathing!"

FaninPatsyLand
01-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Good to have you aboard Press... it's gonna be a fun year.

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Good to have you aboard Press... it's gonna be a fun year.

Agreed, you can become a new part of the small circle of Sox fans. I enjoy talking baseball with all of you, even with our different points of view. Can't wait for some baseball..

FaninPatsyLand
01-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Agreed, you can become a new part of the small circle of Sox fans. I enjoy talking baseball with all of you, even with our different points of view. Can't wait for some baseball..

No doubt about it.

GreenMonster, you gotta make a trip up to Boston and catch a Sox game with us at Fenway.

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 11:01 PM
No doubt about it.

GreenMonster, you gotta make a trip up to Boston and catch a Sox game with us at Fenway.

I certainly will try.. My stepbrother lives in Boston and I have to visit a new addition to the family... I want to go badly, I haven't seen the Sox in Fenway in almost 5 years. I will start to look at some weekends so we can get a little trip togather, that would no doubt rock. Talking Sox baseball with you guys is the best thing on Finheaven... Thanx to FaninPatsLand for the invite to the thread.

GreenMonster

FaninPatsyLand
01-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I certainly will try.. My stepbrother lives in Boston and I have to visit a new addition to the family... I want to go badly, I haven't seen the Sox in Fenway in almost 5 years. I will start to look at some weekends so we can get a little trip togather, that would no doubt rock. Talking Sox baseball with you guys is the best thing on Finheaven... Thanx to FaninPatsLand for the invite to the thread.

GreenMonster

:lol: No worries..

All are welcome man.. no invites to this thread. Especially you man, you were one of the few who were with us throughout last year. I'm looking forward to another Baseball season with (hopefully) even more Sox fans... we got a nice little thing going on here.

But definitely look into making a trip up here, that would be a blast.

RWhitney014
01-23-2006, 11:14 PM
...Sigh...already approaching the Red Sox-Yankees arguefest?

I'd rather watch the Marlins.

Ray Finkle
01-23-2006, 11:39 PM

:lol:

Oh Perry, you already pulled me on the Marlin bandwagon. I think you should join up with the Red Sox Nation, come on we got an extra seat for you right in the middle of me, Green Monster, Hostile, Press Coverage and FaninPatsyLand (I apologize if I forgot any Sox fan on the board).

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 11:40 PM

Who is still on the Marlins... You can watch plenty of your boys when the Sox and Yanks play, Beckett, Lowell, Sheff and remember your 2 WS titles..

Ray Finkle
01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
well presented... looking forward to the season

Thanks man I tried to make it a funny little opening monolong ala Major League.

Geez is it Spring Training yet?

Ray Finkle
01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Who is still on the Marlins... You can watch plenty of your boys when the Sox and Yanks play, Beckett, Lowell, Sheff and remember your 2 WS titles..

Possibly Alex Gonzalez, Al Leiter, and Mota too.

Rocky Raccoon
01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Forget the Yankees...you Sox fans better watch out for the Blue Jays.

d-day
01-23-2006, 11:45 PM

:yeahthat:

Ray Finkle

VERY good point. I think we all agree that the Blue Jays aren't going to be push overs this year. The AL East could be one of the toughest divisions in baseball this year.

GreenMonster

I will believe it when I see it, last year it was the O's that was gonna overtake both the Sox and Yanks.. I love the squad on paper, but if Halladay gets hurt and the bats go silent they will be the same old Jays. With that said if they don't win 10-15 games more than last year atleast, something has gone wrong in Toronto again...

d-day
01-23-2006, 11:50 PM
I will believe it when I see it, last year it was the O's that was gonna overtake both the Sox and Yanks.. I love the squad on paper, but if Halladay gets hurt and the bats go silent they will be the same old Jays. With that said if they don't win 10-15 games more than last year atleast, something has gone wrong in Toronto again...

ricciardi took over the inenviable task of trying to rebuild the jays a few years back with no payroll and not a lot to work with - this year he finally has a working budget and probably overpaid for his 2 new pitchers and glaus but he is deifintely putting a great nucleus together - not sure how much damage t.o. will do this year but definitely an up and coming team with a bright future...

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 11:59 PM
ricciardi took over the inenviable task of trying to rebuild the jays a few years back with no payroll and not a lot to work with - this year he finally has a working budget and probably overpaid for his 2 new pitchers and glaus but he is deifintely putting a great nucleus together - not sure how much damage t.o. will do this year but definitely an up and coming team with a bright future...

He has really used the extra cash this year to make a splash no doubt. For the Jays a mistake on either player will set the franchise back much further than say the Sox or Yanks. Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

FaninPatsyLand
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

To hell with those guys, I'm scared of Ted Lilly. I can't take another year of being completely owned by that guy.

But seriously, the Blue Jays beat us 11 times last year, and they didn't have half the talent that they possess on this years team. The Blue Jays don't have to worry about the divisional rivals, seeing as how they usually match up pretty well inside the AL East. If the Jays beat the teams they should beat outside of the division, then the AL East is going to be a three horse race.

Rocky Raccoon
01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
To hell with those guys, I'm scared of Ted Lilly. I can't take another year of being completely owned by that guy.

But seriously, the Blue Jays beat us 11 times last year, and they didn't have half the talent that they possess on this years team. The Blue Jays don't have to worry about the divisional rivals, seeing as how they usually match up pretty well inside the AL East. If the Jays beat the teams they should beat outside of the division, then the AL East is going to be a three horse race.

hopefully those 3 teams are the Sox, Jays, and O's...down with the Yankees! :D

d-day
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
He has really used the extra cash this year to make a splash no doubt. For the Jays a mistake on either player will set the franchise back much further than say the Sox or Yanks. Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

i like the big 3 additions of burnett especially reunited with his old pitching coach, ryan over batista at closer and the power glaus brings at third - but also we have hillenbrand and hinske who can play the corners and d.h. - overbay at first - hill brings more pop to the bat at 2nd - adams will be in his second season s.s. - vernon wells is a stud in center field - lilly and chacin in the rotation... my only problem with the line-up is reed in left although they are looking at giving hinske some time there against right handed hitters - bottom line: there is more to t.o.'s future then the 3 you mentioned... :wink:

Ray Finkle
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Here's a great article on Coco Crisp and his work ethic and attitude:

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/15/etstory....risp.124+page_1 (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/15/etstory.pl?-sec-Sports+fn-crisp.124+page_1)

I suggest any Sox fan read it. I think he'd fit right in with the Sox clubhouse and will become a fan favorite in no time.

Also I'm not sure if many people are aware of it but Crisp is a switch hitter. Which makes him batting #1 even better because the Sox could put Nixon in the 2 hole if they wish over Loretta.

I just don't like how the deal hasn't been anounced yet, I wonder what's taking it so long. Apparently the hold up is with Mota taking his physical and now some reports I'm reading say Shoppach may or may not be involved.

PressCoverage
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Epstein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????

PressCoverage
01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060124&content_id=1300064&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Ray Finkle
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Apparently Mota failed his physical with the Indians so the deal has to be reworked for Crisp. Mota failing raises a big question as to how he passed the Boston physical.....

PressCoverage
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Ray? no Epstein commentary?.... was this old news?? ;)

FaninPatsyLand
01-24-2006, 09:04 PM

Seems to me that after reading the link you provided not a whole lot has changed. Of course, Hoyer is somewhat demoted in the fact that he loses part of his responsibilites, but his title of Assistant GM points to the fact that he's going to be Epstein/Lucchino's right hand man.

Cherington was originally supposed to be involved with the Minor Leagues and player development and it seems he will continue to do so even with Theo on board.

Ray Finkle
01-24-2006, 09:34 PM

Sorry to let you down PressCoverage :lol:

Anyway my thoughts on Theo is that like every writer in America, he never left the team therefore this isn't big/shocking news. I think Theo is a very smart guy and is very smart when it comes to judging baseball talent. I never understood why he "left" the team on October 31st, but I am glad he's still with the team. Is he as good as the Boston media makes him out to be? No. But he's not as bad as his critics make him out to be. I still think he's a top GM in baseball (or top figure head depending on who really is pulling the strings in Boston).

Sure he made some bad moves: signing Renteria & Clement.

However he made a lot of good moves: OC/Dougie/Dave Roberts trades, signing David Ortiz, trading for Scott Williamson, etc.

Theo also had, what a lot of writers say, the best draft in 2005. The guy does have an eye for talent.

No matter what you say about him you can't take away the fact that he helped win a championship in less than 3 years in the job. I think the team and organization is better off with him than without him.

FaninPatsyLand
01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Apparently Mota failed his physical with the Indians so the deal has to be reworked for Crisp. Mota failing raises a big question as to how he passed the Boston physical.....

To further elaborate on this, in case anyone hasn't seen the article, here's what we know as of right now...

Has Crisp deal hit a snag?
The trade that would bring Coco Crisp to Boston may have hit a snag. According to a report on WIP radio in Philadelphia, the deal is being held up because Red Sox reliever Guillermo Mota allegedly failed his physical. Mota has had elbow and shoulder problems in the past. Why is Philadelphia concerned about Mota? The Indians were counting on Mota in their bullpen to take the place of Arthur Rhodes, who the Tribe had planned on sending to the Phillies for outfielder Jason Michaels, who would replace Crisp in the Cleveland outfield. Got all that? Whether this development will kill the six-player trade with the Red Sox remains to be seen, as the Sox could theoretically replace Mota in the deal. Stay tuned.

I doubt this completely kills the impending deal, mostly because these teams have spent too much time working on this for it to completely fall apart. Both sides seem pretty determined to get this thing done.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 12:15 AM
According to some Cleveland papers this deal could be called off now.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Per rotoworld.com:

According to Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, the Reds backed out of a deal that would have netted them Matt Clement from Boston and sent Austin Kearns to Cleveland.

The trade might again be revisited now that the Reds fired their GM. I'd do a backflip if we could get Crisp for just Clement however it seems very unlikely.

Also Mota's agent is denying the reports that Mota's shoulder is messed up. So who knows.

Roman529
01-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Theo's back and no deal on Coco yet.....the other guy failed his physical.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Apparently a 6 player, 3 way deal with the Reds and Indians is being talked about. Clement would go to the Reds, Austin Kearns to the Indians and Coco to the Sox. No deals on the other 3 players though.

If the Sox could ever pull off the deal without dealing Marte.... go Theo :lol:

FaninPatsyLand
01-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Apparently a 6 player, 3 way deal with the Reds and Indians is being talked about. Clement would go to the Reds, Austin Kearns to the Indians and Coco to the Sox. No deals on the other 3 players though.

If the Sox could ever pull off the deal without dealing Marte.... go Theo :lol:

That would be money, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. We would land Crisp, without giving up Marte, AND get rid of that piece of garbage Matt Clement. He's friggen useless..

Seems too good to be true...

GreenMonster
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
That would be money, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. We would land Crisp, without giving up Marte, AND get rid of that piece of garbage Matt Clement. He's friggen useless..

If this happens, I will still wonder what GM's see in Clement. Do GM's still seeing this guy have a breakout year.. Makes me wonder..

FaninPatsyLand
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
If this happens, I will still wonder what GM's see in Clement. Do GM's still seeing this guy have a breakout year.. Makes me wonder..

You and me both my friend, you and me both.

But if we can dump that walking disaster, to quote Mr. Sheffield, on some other team then I am all for it.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Per rotoworld.com about Mr. Schilling's health:

The noticeably slimmer Curt Schilling said his ankle is back to normal in an interview on WEEI radio yesterday.
"About 14-17 days ago, I woke up and my foot was normal," he said. "Going through workouts and doing the stuff I'm doing here [at his Arizona home] . . . I don't know what the combination was, but it feels right again. It feels normal. It [feels] normal for the first time in a long, long time." Schilling didn't say how much weight he lost, but because he's been able to do more running, he's definitely in better shape than he was last year.

I actually saw a picture of Schilling from a hockey game in Arizona a week ago and he did look like he lost a lot of weight. I think that was the main reason as to why he didn't pitch well last year. Hopefully we'll be seeing #38 pitch a lot this season.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Seems too good to be true...

I agree. I don't see that happening without giving up Marte. But hey never say never, maybe the Reds want Abe Alvarez or Lenny Dinaro too :lol:

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
But if we can dump that walking disaster, to quote Mr. Sheffield, on some other team then I am all for it.

2nd city mentality alert!!!!!!! :shakeno:

GreenMonster
01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Our doctors will let anyone pitch here, arm problems our not. This is twice now, that we have approved a guy from an earlier trade only to have him rejected by another team without him even pitching for us. This needs to be looked at..

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Our doctors will let anyone pitch here, arm problems our not. This is twice now, that we have approved a guy from an earlier trade only to have him rejected by another team without him even pitching for us. This needs to be looked at..

The funny thing is they have new doctors from last year. I think its more of a Red Sox F.O. thing than the doctors.

RWhitney014
01-25-2006, 02:52 PM

Oh Perry, you already pulled me on the Marlin bandwagon. I think you should join up with the Red Sox Nation, come on we got an extra seat for you right in the middle of me, Green Monster, Hostile, Press Coverage and FaninPatsyLand (I apologize if I forgot any Sox fan on the board).

I don't dislike the Red Sox...in fact, I root for them to defeat the Empire.

That said, we've got plenty of talent on this team down here, and as more and more time passes, it's becoming more and more likely they're going to stay here. And no one is going to want to play this team (Florida) next year, much less this year.

But anyway, Monstah, I will have a very good time remembering our two World Series titles...it is more than any other team but the Yankees have won since the first round of 1990s expansion. :D

I'm a Marlins fan and always will be. They have been a huge part of my life as I've grown up, and, to be honest, I'd rather win the way we have (at least in 2003) and have some losing seasons than buy and buy and spend and spend and win 85 games. We bought Delgado and Lo Duca and all the other additions from 2004 and 2005 and ended up with 83 wins both years. We developed talent and made smart, intelligent trades from 2000 on to win in 2003. And nothing, I mean NOTHING, felt better than that.

GreenMonster
01-25-2006, 03:00 PM
The funny thing is they have new doctors from last year. I think its more of a Red Sox F.O. thing than the doctors.

Speaking of seats, how are the new Monster seats and the new plaza in RF. I haven't seen either of these 2 additions, can't wait to get up there. The Skybar at Turner Field is one of the best spots to casually check out a game.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Speaking of seats, how are the new Monster seats and the new plaza in RF. I haven't seen either of these 2 additions, can't wait to get up there. The Skybar at Turner Field is one of the best spots to casually check out a game.

Both unbelievable. I sat in the Monster seats in 2004 for an August game vs. the Angels when Schilling pitched. Manny put two balls into the seats. If you can get seats there to watch a game, you better go its a great experience (except during batting practice when Troy Glaus nearly killed 4 people with line drive home runs).

The only negative with the Monster seats is that you can't see a ball hit off the Monster or anything from the warning track to the wall. Other than that great seats.

FaninPatsyLand
01-25-2006, 03:40 PM

The Monster seats are a nice experience, but they are overrated. Unless you are lucky enough to sit in the first row (there are 3 rows) then your view is pretty obstructed. You can't see ANY of Leftfield, not just the wall. I've been up there 2 times since their creation and I don't plan on sitting up there again, the view isn't worth the trouble of trying to find the tickets. (And the food is different up on the Monster than it is throughout the rest of the park. No Fenway Franks, they sell some Monster Dog garbage.)

The Right Field Roof seats on the other hand are BEAUTIFUL. Because they are set a good distance behind the right field wall you can see the whole field and you get a pretty unique view of Fenway. Standing room tickets up there are relatively easy to get if you are willing to show up to Fenway about 4-5 hours prior to the ticket office opening. They have their own concession stand that is seperate from all the other sections, which means limited waiting time for food and bathrooms. Not to mention the bar there is nicely equipped with TV's available showing key replays.

Of course both are pricey, you'll drop 30+ bucks for standing room on the Right Field Roof, but for my money, it's alot nicer than sitting on the Monster.

Ray Finkle
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Cleveland apparent wants Marte, Mota, Shoppach AND Manny Delcarmen now. The Sox said no. Good thing. It appears that Crisp might not be coming to Boston.

Jay Payton, who is now available, anyone?

GreenMonster
01-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Whats up with the Sox not evening giving Mota a physical when they traded for him. Aren't these things standard, especially for guys with shoulder problems.

01-26-2006, 05:45 PM
The Monster seats are a nice experience, but they are overrated. Unless you are lucky enough to sit in the first row (there are 3 rows) then your view is pretty obstructed. You can't see ANY of Leftfield, not just the wall. I've been up there 2 times since their creation and I don't plan on sitting up there again, the view isn't worth the trouble of trying to find the tickets. (And the food is different up on the Monster than it is throughout the rest of the park. No Fenway Franks, they sell some Monster Dog garbage.)

The Right Field Roof seats on the other hand are BEAUTIFUL. Because they are set a good distance behind the right field wall you can see the whole field and you get a pretty unique view of Fenway. Standing room tickets up there are relatively easy to get if you are willing to show up to Fenway about 4-5 hours prior to the ticket office opening. They have their own concession stand that is seperate from all the other sections, which means limited waiting time for food and bathrooms. Not to mention the bar there is nicely equipped with TV's available showing key replays.

Of course both are pricey, you'll drop 30+ bucks for standing room on the Right Field Roof, but for my money, it's alot nicer than sitting on the Monster.

the .406 club is great. I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

PressCoverage
01-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

Welcome to our thread... Thanks for the thrilling insight....

See, that's the difference between us and you... we jump up and down even when we aren't within 50% of your payroll, holes or otherwise... because we enjoy baseball, Fenway, and the Red Sox...

Do you guys even show up unless you've outspent the league by 40%??

Ray Finkle
01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Whats up with the Sox not evening giving Mota a physical when they traded for him. Aren't these things standard, especially for guys with shoulder problems.

Apparently from reports the Sox checked Mota's MRI done at the end of the year and used that instead of their own physical. Strange I agree.

Also for what its worth Mota's agent is claiming that the report of Mota failing is 100% false. So who knows.

FaninPatsyLand
01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
the .406 club is great. I wouldn't be jumping up and down right now if I was a sox fan, they have alot of holes to fill.

The .406 club sucked, there's a reason why they tore it down this offseason. It was like trying to watch a baseball game in a classy restaurant. Fans didn't feel connected to the game with the huge glass panels in front of them.

As for the rest of your post, we know the Sox have holes to fill, thank you very much captain obvious.

01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I see yous guys recognized steinbrenner in my sig...

1918, 1918, 1918, 1918. :)

FaninPatsyLand
01-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Cleveland apparent wants Marte, Mota, Shoppach AND Manny Delcarmen now. The Sox said no. Good thing. It appears that Crisp might not be coming to Boston.

Jay Payton, who is now available, anyone?

The ******* Indians are trying to play hardball now. If the Red Sox throw Manny into this deal, I'm gonna be pissed. Apparently, the Sox have turned their attention to the Reds in an attempt to acquire Kearns. I'd throw another prospect into a deal that includes Clement, or just pay part of Matt's remaining deal in order to pry Kearns from Cincinnatti. Then of course, we'd turn around and deal Kearns to Cleveland for Crisp and Riske..

It would be a hell of alot cheaper than a straight up deal between the Red Sox and Indians. And we'd get to keep Marte, I think that would be the best of both worlds.

Ray Finkle
01-26-2006, 09:46 PM
1918, 1918, 1918, 1918. :)

MKeveny did you block 2004 out of your mind?

Anyway good luck this year with your team. Hopefully we won't hate each other by June. No promises though ;)

GreenMonster
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Apparently from reports the Sox checked Mota's MRI done at the end of the year and used that instead of their own physical. Strange I agree.

Also for what its worth Mota's agent is claiming that the report of Mota failing is 100% false. So who knows.

Mota and his agent now say that he passed the Indians physical but the Indians had enough questions to turn down the deal as currently constructed, meaning the greedy Shapiro would like Delcarmen also. As far I am I concerned they can have Marte and Shoppach for Crisp straight up, nothing more... I would love to pawn some Clement on the Reds in any deal that brings us back the pieces to get Crisp..

djfresh47
01-27-2006, 02:04 AM
With February 18th (Pitchers & Catchers report) exactly 27 days away I think it's about time we start up the annual and official 2006 Boston Red Sox thread. So from now on all Red Sox news/rumors/game discussions will be here for everyone and anyone wanting to chat.

(Cue Harry Doyle from the Major League movies)

Welcome back Red Sox Nation, the team has tons of new faces since we last saw them in October. No more Cowboy Uping, Kevin Millar or endless nights of seeing Edgar Renteria boot balls. Yes Manny Ramirez is still on the team (surprise surprise).....for now. MVP-Runner up David Ortiz aka Big Papi, not to be confused with the Poppy Seed Bagel at your local Dunkin' Donuts shop, is looking to put up another MVP season. Curt Schilling's ankle pain as well as his beer gut are also gone and he's looking to rebound. Speaking of rebounding, Keith Foulke hopefully has his knees and personal life back in shape. Theo is back, but he never left so we'll just move on.

Some of the new faces on this years team: 25 year old stud pitcher and former 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett is here in Boston and hopefully left his blisters behind in Miami. Mike Lowell will be your 2006 Comeback Player of the Year, you heard it hear first and he'll be the first player since 2004 to win the award in the AL who wasn't found taking steriods. Mark Loretta is another new addition and your starting 2nd basemen. Another new addition to the team and Boston Anger Management meetings, Juilian Tarveras who's making his first trip back to Boston since he gave up the game winning home run to Mark Bellhorn (remember him Sox fans?) in the 2004 World Series. But give Tarveras credit at least he didn't punch anything or anyone after that pitch.

Of course any day now the Red Sox could have a new CFer: Covelli Loyce Crisp, nickname Coco. Coco replaces popular Johnny Damon in CF. Coco is not only younger and cheaper than Damon but the new ownership is happy because since Crisp is bald he won't cost Henry and company extra money on electricity for using a hair dryer. Alex Gonzalez, SS, could also be on the team. The most common answer from Sox fans after hearing that is: hey at least he's not Edgar Renteria.

Important dates to remember:
February 23rd- First Full-squad workout
April 3rd- Season opener at Texas
April 11th- Home opener vs. Toronto

Projected Line Up:
CF- Crisp
2B- Loretta
DH- Ortiz
LF- Manny
3B-Lowell
C- Varitek
RF- Nixon
1B- J.T. Snow/Kevin Youkilis
SS- Cora/Gonzalez/Tony Graffinano

Projected Rotation and Pen:
SP:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells
Clement
Arroyo (Pen likely)
Papelbon (Pen likely)

RP:
Tarveras
Timlin
Mota (or Riske depending on what happens)
Saenez
Foulke

Personally I think this team is pretty good up and down, especially if the Crisp deal goes through. Their rotation and pen (if healthy) is very good and deep. If Schilling and Beckett can make 30 starts each and Foulke is back to 2004 form I don't see any reason why the team won't make the playoffs or even win the AL East.

27 days.... 27 days.... thank god it's almost here.

I think the BoSox need to improve there pitching staff. I don't know much about the situation but does Wells still want out? Josh Beckett can be a huge pickup for the BoSox, if he can avoid getting blisters pitching. The BoSox have alot of question marks, but if Schilling comes back healthy and Beckett is not on IR half the year with a blister they can contend. I'm a ChiSox fan, but after watching McCarthy in September, he would be the BoSox number 3, IMO, and he might be out of the rotation in Chicago, unless they go with a 6 man.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2006, 02:37 AM
I think the BoSox need to improve there pitching staff. I don't know much about the situation but does Wells still want out? Josh Beckett can be a huge pickup for the BoSox, if he can avoid getting blisters pitching. The BoSox have alot of question marks, but if Schilling comes back healthy and Beckett is not on IR half the year with a blister they can contend. I'm a ChiSox fan, but after watching McCarthy in September, he would be the BoSox number 3, IMO, and he might be out of the rotation in Chicago, unless they go with a 6 man.

If the Red Sox pitching staff can stay healthy I think they will be tough to beat. With or without Wells. Last I heard he said he'd stay however his agent came out later in the day that he still wanted out so who knows.

About contending think of it this way the Sox made the playoffs and had over 90 wins without Foulke and Schilling healthy or good the whole year. Yes their pitching was terrible last year but they still made the playoffs. This off season the Sox, IMO, added a lot of pen depth and the Beckett move helped out the rotation big time. Papelbon will be the Sox x-factor this year. Whether he's in the rotation or in the pen I think the kid is going to have a huge year.

P.S. After seeing McCarthy pitch last year I think the kid has a big future too. Last I read he's going to pitch middle relief for the ChiSox unless one of their starters gets hurt.

UCFinfan86
01-27-2006, 10:24 AM
i was wondering what anyone predicts if Papelbon, lester or hansen will do anythign this year? are they worth taking flyer on in a deep fantasy keeper draft?

Ray Finkle
01-27-2006, 10:33 AM
i was wondering what anyone predicts if Papelbon, lester or hansen will do anythign this year? are they worth taking flyer on in a deep fantasy keeper draft?

I'm planning on drafting all 3 personally. I think Papelbon is going to get some wins as well as holds and if Foulke goes down he might be the closer.

As for Hansen, I think he'll be up in May/June, depending on injuries. I don't see the Sox throwing him into the closer's role unless Foulke goes down and Papelbon is in the rotation.

As for Lester, word is he's going to come up mid July (ala Papelbon) and work out of the pen.

UCFinfan86
01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
hmm ok well now the dilema is when? what pitchers do u think their draft position is equal to?

GreenMonster
01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Well now the Indians have more outfielders then they need. Come to town Coco Crisp please..

FaninPatsyLand
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Well now the Indians have more outfielders then they need. Come to town Coco Crisp please..

We can only hope.. but if the Indians are still insisting the inclusion of Manny Delcarmen in a deal, then I think we should turn our attention elsewhere.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2006, 09:33 PM
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Red Sox and Indians have agreed to the trade that would send Coco Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard to Boston for Andy Marte, Guillermo Mota, Kelly Shoppach, a player to be named and cash.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2006, 09:37 PM
hmm ok well now the dilema is when? what pitchers do u think their draft position is equal to?

Geez that's a tough question. I think you could probably get Papelbon around the 15th to 20th round or so (depending of course on how many Red Sox fans are in the draft) considering he's going to be a middle reliever to start the season. I think to tell whether Papelbon is close to being picked depends on when guys like Zach Duke, Hayden Penn, Kyle Davies are picked.

Lester and Hansen I'd say get around 25th to 30th round, again depending on how many rounds their are. In my opinion I'd pick Lester before Hansen because Hansen will probably be an 8th inning guy until Foulke leaves.

FaninPatsyLand
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Just heard it on Fox Sports New England, the Celtics Postgame show, it's official Coco Crisp is now a member of the Boston Red Sox.

Don't know the details of the players involved yet.. they didn't say. However, I'm guessing it's going to be Marte, Mota, Shoppach, PTNL and cash heading to Cleveland in exchange for Crisp, Riske and Bard.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 12:33 AM
It is official:

Crisp, Riske, Bard for Marte, Mota, Shoppach and a cash or PTBNL

Also Alex Gonzalez is going to sign any day with the Sox. The holes are filling up with plenty of trading chips still left (Wells, Clement, Tony Graffinano).

aboome
01-28-2006, 12:33 AM
First off Damon sucks ok now that is out the way let go redsox baby all the way

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 12:36 AM

Welcome to the board man, hopefully you'll continue posting here.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 12:37 AM

Welcome aboard man... we always love to add more Red Sox fans to this thread. The thread is going to be around all season long... hope to have you here over the long haul.

We have a pretty large group of Red Sox fans on this board..

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 12:40 AM
It is official:

Crisp, Riske, Bard for Marte, Mota, Shoppach and a cash or PTBNL

Also Alex Gonzalez is going to sign any day with the Sox. The holes are filling up with plenty of trading chips still left (Wells, Clement, Tony Graffinano).

About time.. Now if we could get something useful for Wells and Clement that would rock. I don't think Graffinano will be going anywhere for a while, although you never know. We need a player like him of the bench since he can play a few spots, Cora can't hit..

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm going on record saying I don't care nor will I get mad if Gonzalez bats .230 but plays gold glove defense at SS.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 12:43 AM
About time.. Now if we could get something useful for Wells and Clement that would rock. I don't think Graffinano will be going anywhere for a while, although you never know. We need a player like him of the bench since he can play a few spots, Cora can't hit..

I agree, I want Tony to stay, he can play all 4 infield positions, has a decent bat and can play a little corner OF too.

Wells or Clement has to go. I'd try to trade Clement to the Reds with Brandon Moss for Austin Kearns.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm going on record saying I don't care nor will I get mad if Gonzalez bats .230 but plays gold glove defense at SS.

I totally agree, just don't muck 30+ balls this year and you should be ok. He can bat 8th or 9th and will find some balls to hit down there. To me this is a good signing, we should score plenty of runs again this year.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 12:49 AM

Remember Cora hitting into the game ending DP in the July series against the Yankees on Sunday Night Baseball at Fenway? That was Sveum's house of horror weekend...

I can't shake that ugly thought. Regardless, Cora is a very good utility player, and this team is loaded on the bench. Dare I say it...? Is this team better than the 2004 club? It might be a bit premature, but if Lowell and Loretta have huge years (which I fully expect) it's certainly not a ridiculous notion.

Coco Crisp is coming to Boston! Johnny who? :dance:

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 01:00 AM
I loath having to watch Cora bat with all the other sticks we have.

Money not a factor I would still want to have Crisp for the next 4 years over Damon. We basically traded Renteria for Crisp... I will go on record as saying Crisp will be one of the more popular players Boston has had in a while..

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 01:15 AM
I loath having to watch Cora bat with all the other sticks we have.

Money not a factor I would still want to have Crisp for the next 4 years over Damon. We basically traded Renteria for Crisp... I will go on record as saying Crisp will be one of the more popular players Boston has had in a while..

Understatement?

I'm already trying to buy a Beckett and Crisp shirt as we speak :lol:

Of course I'll wait until I go to Fenway to get it.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Understatement?

I'm already trying to buy a Beckett and Crisp shirt as we speak :lol:

Of course I'll wait until I go to Fenway to get it.

Do you live right in the city also Finkle. I need to have you guys pick me up some stuff this year.

Thank God, Johnny Damon is a money grubbing whore, because now we got a young stud CF that will get better not worse. I cannot wait to stick it to the Yanks this year.. GO SOX..

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Do you live right in the city also Finkle. I need to have you guys pick me up some stuff this year.

Thank God, Johnny Damon is a money grubbing whore, because now we got a young stud CF that will get better not worse. I cannot wait to stick it to the Yanks this year.. GO SOX..

Nah man I live in CT. If u ever need any Red Sox players shirts I suggest going to redsox.com. They have pretty much everyone and anyone. Also all the stuff they sell on the site you can get around Fenway.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Anyone hungry? Want to start the day off right with a good bowl of:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/cococereal-1.jpg

(BDD Photo Illustration / Chris Pomerleau)

unifiedtheory

:sidelol:

FaninPatsyLand

Hey man, if you ever need something, feel free to let us know... helping a tremendous fan like yourself is not a problem.

By the way, I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post...

P.S. Monster, the Bucks are going down on Sunday. The new and improved Celtics are coming to town.. :wink:

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Hey man, if you ever need something, feel free to let us know... helping a tremendous fan like yourself is not a problem.

By the way, I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post...

P.S. Monster, the Bucks are going down on Sunday. The new and improved Celtics are coming to town.. :wink:

Should be interesting. I am really digging our team this year, we have a ton of young talent. Should be a good game with very little defense. How are you like Wally so far...(looked good tonight shooting the rock_)

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 01:49 AM

That rocks, I will take 5 boxes. The Indians must really think Marte is special because I think Crisp will be great. On a side note I believe Marte is overrated, Schuerholz does not trade away stud young players.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Should be interesting. I am really digging our team this year, we have a ton of young talent. Should be a good game with very little defense. How are you like Wally so far...(looked good tonight shooting the rock_)

I liked the trade alot. Wally is a nice player.. but we're still not a very good basketball team yet.

I don't expect us to beat you guys on Sunday for a couple reasons. First off, it's on the road, this team doesn't play well on the road. Second, we won tonight so winning two in a row is asking alot. And lastly, TJ Ford is just insanely good. He always picks us apart, and what else can you say about Michael Redd?? The guy is simply outstanding.. I really like your team this year too... what's not to like?

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 01:56 AM
That rocks, I will take 5 boxes. The Indians must really think Marte is special because I think Crisp will be great. On a side note I believe Marte is overrated, Schuerholz does not trade away stud young players.

A good friend of mine is a huge Braves and he LOVED the Marte for Renteria deal. I've never seen Marte play but he's seen him with the Braves and a few minor league games. He said the kid is good but looked awful in the majors. I don't think Marte is overrated just a few more years away.

Schuerholz apparently got rid of him because Chipper was on 3rd and Marte didn't want to move to LF or 1st. Who knows though.

I'm not going to bad mouth Marte but when was the last time a top 10 prospect got traded twice in one off season?

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I liked the trade alot. Wally is a nice player.. but we're still not a very good basketball team yet.

I don't expect us to beat you guys on Sunday for a couple reasons. First off, it's on the road, this team doesn't play well on the road. Second, we won tonight so winning two in a row is asking alot. And lastly, TJ Ford is just insanely good. He always picks us apart, and what else can you say about Michael Redd?? The guy is simply outstanding.. I really like your team this year too... what's not to like?

I love Ford and Redd, but Simmons is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He can shoot the rock (37% from 3, 86% from the line) and he plays a bit of D which is what we sorely lack. The best part about our team is every player is young and locked up for a long time.

I loved the trade for you guys. Wally is a much better shooter than Davis was and Blount for Kandi is addition by subtraction. If you guys can find a point guard, (Maurice Williams??) the Celts would be a tough team to handle in the coming years in the East.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok now that we have our starting OF set, who's going to be the 4th outfielder? Adam Stern isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Gabe will likely be back by May but even if he's back we still need another OFer.

My suggestions:
Austin Kearns (possibly trade sending Clement, & Moss/Dinirdo/Alvarez
Richard Hildago (Free Agent)
Xavier Nady (trade Alex Cora/Tony Graffinano)
Jay Payton (hey never say never)

Any other suggestions?

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
A good friend of mine is a huge Braves and he LOVED the Marte for Renteria deal. I've never seen Marte play but he's seen him with the Braves and a few minor league games. He said the kid is good but looked awful in the majors. I don't think Marte is overrated just a few more years away.

Schuerholz apparently got rid of him because Chipper was on 3rd and Marte didn't want to move to LF or 1st. Who knows though.

I'm not going to bad mouth Marte but when was the last time a top 10 prospect got traded twice in one off season?

I am in the ear of the Braves more than I would like. Marte will probably be decent, but I don't think he has 40HR potential and his D is just average. Chipper is the most loyal player I have seen in a while and has said he would play anywhere, so if Marte needed to stay at 3rd it wouldn't be a problem. I would have loved to see him on 3rd base in the coming years but I would rather see a player like Crisp who is already good, become great at the top of our order.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok now that we have our starting OF set, who's going to be the 4th outfielder? Adam Stern isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Gabe will likely be back by May but even if he's back we still need another OFer.

My suggestions:

Any other suggestions?

Well, in my opinion, Payton should have never left. I know some people are going to disagree with me on this one, but if Theo didn't burn bridges with him then he might still be in Boston. Now however I don't want Payton back for the simple fact that it would be awkward between him and Tito, the Front Office and the fans. Not to mention, I'm never comfortable dealing with the Athletics, because that usually ends up with us getting fleeced by Billy Beane.

Kearns would be a beautiful addition to this team and it would give us insurance for the inevitable Trot Nixon injury, or the flexibility to give some guys days off. I'd trade Clement for Kearns right now if the opportunity presented itself.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:10 AM

My suggestions:

Any other suggestions?

I had no clue Hildago was a free agent. I would take a flyer on him in a heart beat. I am not willing to send Clement and anyone for Kearns, we don't need him to sit on the bench that bad, and as bad as Clement was, he would make a handy starter when guys get hurt. I would rather turn Wells into another outfielder and get something for him while we still can.. Believe it or not, Clement has value in other teams eyes.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Well, in my opinion, Payton should have never left. I know some people are going to disagree with me on this one, but if Theo didn't burn bridges with him then he might still be in Boston. Now however I don't want Payton back for the simple fact that it would be awkward between him and Tito, the Front Office and the fans. Not to mention, I'm never comfortable dealing with the Athletics, because that usually ends up with us getting fleeced by Billy Beane.

Kearns would be a beautiful addition to this team and it would give us insurance for the inevitable Trot Nixon injury, or the flexibility to give some guys days off. I'd trade Clement for Kearns right now if the opportunity presented itself.

I agree Kearns would be my #1 choice. Payton would probably be my #2. I think he could be brought back because he'll get more at bats with Boston than Oakland, plus Nixon is going to get hurt its a given. Manny will sit out random games (leading to Manny wants to be traded rumors). Payton will get 300 to 400 at bats.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a question regarding the lineup, I think that the top of the order is pretty much defined. You are going to lead off with Crisp followed by Loretta, Ortiz and Manny. After that though, the order is not as clearly defined. Do you proceed to bat Lowell behind Manny, even after the horrendous year last year, or do you wait from him to show you something? We saw alot of Varitek in the 5 hole last year, but he goes into prolonged slumps.. what about Nixon? I think we can all pretty much agree that Youkilis is going to be batting 8th and Alex Gonzalez is going to be 9th.

Looking at this lineup from top to bottom, if guys have the years I expect them to have and everyone stays healthy, this is without a doubt a more potent lineup than what we had last year.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:29 AM
I have a question regarding the lineup, I think that the top of the order is pretty much defined. You are going to lead off with Crisp followed by Loretta, Ortiz and Manny. After that though, the order is not as clearly defined. Do you proceed to bat Lowell behind Manny, even after the horrendous year last year, or do you wait from him to show you something? We saw alot of Varitek in the 5 hole last year, but he goes into prolonged slumps.. what about Nixon? I think we can all pretty much agree that Youkilis is going to be batting 8th and Alex Gonzalez is going to be 9th.

Looking at this lineup from top to bottom, if guys have the years I expect them to have and everyone stays healthy, this is without a doubt a more potent lineup than what we had last year.

I totally agree, I think to start Varitek will hit 5, Trot 6, Lowell 7th but those 3 will be subject to change nightly. Tito will probably hit Trot 2nd some again, although I hate this and I hope Loretta holds down 2nd.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:31 AM

Hmmm good question. IF I were getting paid this would be my line up:

vs. RHP
Coco
Loretta
Ortiz
Manny
Nixon
Varitek
Lowell
Gonzalez
Youkilis

vs. LHP
Coco
Loretta
Ortiz
Manny
Lowell
Varitek
4th OFer
Gonzalez
Youkilis

I like the idea of batting Youk in the 9th hole. He's got a good OBP and if he leads off an inning, between him, Crisp and Loretta- Ortiz and Manny will have some big RBI chances in those innings.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Timlin, Tavarez, Riske, Foulke, Seanez, Papelbon and others.. I like the pen much better than last year also. If our starters holdup we could have Arroyo in the pen also who I wouldn't mind seeing there some nights. I hope Foulke can hold down the closer role till Hansen is ready, I want Papelbon to start.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Speaking of pitching here's what my rotation would be:

IF no other pitcher is traded:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells
Clement

IF Wells/Clement is traded:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells/Clement
Papelbon

I like putting Wake in between Schilling and Beckett to mix it up a bit and give the opponents a different look. Also I'd rather have Papelbon in the rotation over Arroyo. I think Arroyo would be better in the pen as a long reliever/getting righties out. Papelbon has more value in the rotation, especially with a stacked pen.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:43 AM
Timlin, Tavarez, Riske, Foulke, Seanez, Papelbon and others.. I like the pen much better than last year also. If our starters holdup we could have Arroyo in the pen also who I wouldn't mind seeing there some nights. I hope Foulke can hold down the closer role till Hansen is ready, I want Papelbon to start.

Good point GM. As writers were killing the Sox for letting Damon walk and having holes in CF and SS they didn't realize the Sox built a pretty good pen (which sucked last year). The Sox have deep pitching and if the pitchers are healthy I think the Sox have one of the best pens if not the best pen in the MLB.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 02:43 AM
although I hate this and I hope Loretta holds down 2nd.

I think Mark Loretta is one of the most underrated players on this current Red Sox team, I fully expect him to have a monster year, and lets be honest, the guy is simply the best offensive 2nd baseman in the AL. He'll be an All-Star because he's an outstanding player. In his last full year 2004 (I'm not counting 2005 because he was injured for a prolonged period) he put up incredible offensive numbers for a 2nd baseman. He finished 2004 with 47 doubles, 16 homeruns, 76 RBI's, .335 AVG, .391 OBP, and .495 SLG%, which totals to a .886 OPS.

If he puts up numbers anywhere close to that, he's going to score 130 runs batting in front of Manny and Ortiz. If Tito moves a guy like that out of the 2 hole, I'll personally drive down to Fenway and hunt down Francona along with the rest of the city of Boston.

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 02:46 AM
I like the idea of batting Youk in the 9th hole. He's got a good OBP and if he leads off an inning, between him, Crisp and Loretta- Ortiz and Manny will have some big RBI chances in those innings.

That's a GREAT point, a guy with the ability of Kevin Youkils to get on base should be batting 9th. In essence, that creates another leadoff man. I figured that simply because Gonzalez struggles at the plate, we should minimize his attempts by batting him as far down in the lineup as possible.

Great idea though..

FaninPatsyLand
01-28-2006, 02:54 AM
Speaking of pitching here's what my rotation would be:

IF no other pitcher is traded:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells
Clement

IF Wells/Clement is traded:
Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Wells/Clement
Papelbon

I like putting Wake in between Schilling and Beckett to mix it up a bit and give the opponents a different look. Also I'd rather have Papelbon in the rotation over Arroyo. I think Arroyo would be better in the pen as a long reliever/getting righties out. Papelbon has more value in the rotation, especially with a stacked pen.

While I agree that Arroyo struggled mightly against lefties last year, I still think he's gotta be starting. I'd much rather see Wakefield delegated to the bullpen, mainly because he's got a rubber arm, and the man just eats innings. I really hope that we deal either Wells or Clement, because I want to see Papelbon in the rotation this year.

I like the look of the Bullpen this year, it's deep and we have alot of talent out there, but the successes of this team ride on the knees of Keith Foulke. We need him to be at his best if we're going to make any type of run late in the year. If Foulke goes down, all of a sudden this pen doesn't look nearly as deep or as good as it looks right now.

The key to the success of the 2006 Boston Red Sox rests with Keith Foulke, its that simple. We have enough depth to sustain injuries in all the other areas of this team, but Foulke is the one guy that this team absolutely needs.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:59 AM
While I agree that Arroyo struggled mightly against lefties last year, I still think he's gotta be starting. I'd much rather see Wakefield delegated to the bullpen, mainly because he's got a rubber arm, and the man just eats innings. I really hope that we deal either Wells or Clement, because I want to see Papelbon in the rotation this year.

Ah I don't know about Wake in the pen. You can't bring him in with runners on base for fear of the stole base/wild pitch/past ball. I still think Wakefield has some good games left in that arm of his.

djfresh47
01-28-2006, 03:34 AM
If the Red Sox pitching staff can stay healthy I think they will be tough to beat. With or without Wells. Last I heard he said he'd stay however his agent came out later in the day that he still wanted out so who knows.

About contending think of it this way the Sox made the playoffs and had over 90 wins without Foulke and Schilling healthy or good the whole year. Yes their pitching was terrible last year but they still made the playoffs. This off season the Sox, IMO, added a lot of pen depth and the Beckett move helped out the rotation big time. Papelbon will be the Sox x-factor this year. Whether he's in the rotation or in the pen I think the kid is going to have a huge year.

P.S. After seeing McCarthy pitch last year I think the kid has a big future too. Last I read he's going to pitch middle relief for the ChiSox unless one of their starters gets hurt.

If McCarthy is in middle relief, i'd be dissapointed in Williams. The kid definately deserves to be a starter, but who do you take out ya know? I think Contreras will be traded, I hate to see that happen because he's filthy, but Chicago probably won't re-sign him. I seen on Sportsline.com, that Contreras for Abreu is being discussed, I think it's garbage, but that trade makes alot of sense for both teams. Brian Anderson needs to get an opportunity, he's been a top prospect for a bit, but if Abreu can come in for a year and Podsednik can move to center, befoer Dye leaves, i'd be all for it. Boston made the playoffs last year with a very average team, IMO, but I think this year Cleveland/Oakland are gonna be improved, and they will be playoff contenders. Beckett is the key to the Sox, they're gonna score runs, but they need a "stopper," and if he can stay healthy I believe he can be that. I'm still living off of last year, but i've said this for like 4 years to friends and that is Mark Buehrle is the most underrated pitcher in baseball. It is amazing how Foulke, and Koch were very good closers on other teams but neither were very consistent with Chicago. Foulke was good with Chicago, but I always heard he wanted to be a starter, just something to throw out there.

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 09:46 AM
That's a GREAT point, a guy with the ability of Kevin Youkils to get on base should be batting 9th. In essence, that creates another leadoff man. I figured that simply because Gonzalez struggles at the plate, we should minimize his attempts by batting him as far down in the lineup as possible.

Great idea though..

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut at the bottom of our order. Remember his average has been getting better the last couple of years, and you don't see many great balls in that Marlins batting order.

Ray Finkle
01-28-2006, 02:36 PM
If McCarthy is in middle relief, i'd be dissapointed in Williams. The kid definately deserves to be a starter, but who do you take out ya know? I think Contreras will be traded, I hate to see that happen because he's filthy, but Chicago probably won't re-sign him. I seen on Sportsline.com, that Contreras for Abreu is being discussed, I think it's garbage, but that trade makes alot of sense for both teams. Brian Anderson needs to get an opportunity, he's been a top prospect for a bit, but if Abreu can come in for a year and Podsednik can move to center, befoer Dye leaves, i'd be all for it. Boston made the playoffs last year with a very average team, IMO, but I think this year Cleveland/Oakland are gonna be improved, and they will be playoff contenders. Beckett is the key to the Sox, they're gonna score runs, but they need a "stopper," and if he can stay healthy I believe he can be that. I'm still living off of last year, but i've said this for like 4 years to friends and that is Mark Buehrle is the most underrated pitcher in baseball. It is amazing how Foulke, and Koch were very good closers on other teams but neither were very consistent with Chicago. Foulke was good with Chicago, but I always heard he wanted to be a starter, just something to throw out there.

I think you view McCarthy the way Sox fans view Papelbon.

It is funny how ChiSox can never have a good closer do well for them (i.e. Foulke, Koch) yet an average pitcher like Hermanson can do well in the role. Anyway Jenks looks like he could be very good for a long time, hopefully he doesn't drink that water in the bullpen that Foulke and Koch did. Of course Foulke did get a raw deal when he was closing. He went through a bad strench (which he does every year) and Manuel was very quick to pull him out of the role.

djfresh47
01-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I think you view McCarthy the way Sox fans view Papelbon.

It is funny how ChiSox can never have a good closer do well for them (i.e. Foulke, Koch) yet an average pitcher like Hermanson can do well in the role. Anyway Jenks looks like he could be very good for a long time, hopefully he doesn't drink that water in the bullpen that Foulke and Koch did. Of course Foulke did get a raw deal when he was closing. He went through a bad strench (which he does every year) and Manuel was very quick to pull him out of the role.

Foulke was good for a couple years. I have no idea how Koch just fell apart when he came to Chicago. Jenks is young and I still think very raw, if he can get command of his curveball, he's gonna be one of the best closers in the league. McCarthy and Contreras stepped up huge in September, and I think McCarthy may have deserved to be on the playoff roster, but ya can't leave Duque off because of his past success. It's kinda tough for elite teams to give young guys an opportunity because so much is expected from fans, and they aren't "name" guys to the uneducated fan, but McCarthy is just nasty.

GreenMonster
01-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Watching Foulke will be interesting this year. If he can regain his previous form, then our bullpen will be good. If we are forced to look for a closer for a month or 2 we could be in trouble again.

Ray Finkle
01-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Watching Foulke will be interesting this year. If he can regain his previous form, then our bullpen will be good. If we are forced to look for a closer for a month or 2 we could be in trouble again.

Foulke is the key to the pen. If he's healthy and in 2004 form I really think the Sox pen will be one of the best, if not the best pen in baseball.

However IF Foulke sucks again, due to the depth of the pen the Sox can count on Timlin, Riske, Hansen, Papelbon or Tarveras to close out games. Something the Sox didn't have last year.

Ray Finkle
01-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Newest Red Sox rumor:

Due to Mike Piazza signing with SD today, rumors going around are David Wells for Doug Mirabelli and a prospect(s).

Well Mirabelli is an upgrade over John Flaherty and Josh Bard :lol:

I personally don't see this happening, plus I'd rather try and trade Clement.

GreenMonster
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Newest Red Sox rumor:

Due to Mike Piazza signing with SD today, rumors going around are David Wells for Doug Mirabelli and a prospect(s).

Well Mirabelli is an upgrade over John Flaherty and Josh Bard :lol:

I personally don't see this happening, plus I'd rather try and trade Clement.

That would be quite odd. I too would rather see Clement gone and Wells stay. Heck he can just pitch at home if he wants.

Ray Finkle
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
That would be quite odd. I too would rather see Clement gone and Wells stay. Heck he can just pitch at home if he wants.

My thought is screw Wells. He doesn't want to pitch in Boston anymore, well maybe he shouldn't have signed a 2 year deal then.

I'm sick of these guys signing contracts and then trying to get out of them. I wish I could be somewhere making millions of dollars playing baseball.

GreenMonster
01-29-2006, 09:04 PM
My thought is screw Wells. He doesn't want to pitch in Boston anymore, well maybe he shouldn't have signed a 2 year deal then.

I'm sick of these guys signing contracts and then trying to get out of them. I wish I could be somewhere making millions of dollars playing baseball.

If we could get something decent for Wells he can go and Clement can be our 5th starter. Don't know what teams are willing to give up for 1 year of Wells though..

Ray Finkle
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
If we could get something decent for Wells he can go and Clement can be our 5th starter. Don't know what teams are willing to give up for 1 year of Wells though..

I think you'd be surprised. Wells is old and fat yes but he still won 15 last year for the Sox and is still an above average pitcher. I doubt you could get big name prospects or position players but I'm sure you could get a nice role player or middle reliever.

Ray Finkle
01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Some quotes about Coco Crisp from bostondirtdogs.com:

'Coco is a guy we had identified quite a ways back,' Epstein's assistant, Jed Hoyer, said last night. 'In September we were kind of concerned the secret was out and we weren't going to be able to get him. It was clear we were going to have a tough negotiation with Johnny, and Coco was the top guy on our list.'"

"'Almost every person we talked to [during their investigation of Crisp's off-field makeup] really thought he would thrive in our environment,' Hoyer said, adding a bit later: 'He's . . . got a certain energy and swagger we think will translate very well to Fenway.'

"If Crisp's self-analysis is accurate, Hoyer is right.

"'I love the game,'" Crisp said. 'I play hard. I'm not afraid to run into a wall and get hurt. You know, go all-out. I think that's the type of player they love in Boston.'"

It looks like the F.O. did research on Crisp after the Renteria flop. I like Crisp's attitude and can't wait to see him play. And now a here's the first look of Crisp in a Boston uniform:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/BDD_CCC_orlando-1.jpg
(BDD Photo Illustration / Orlando from Lynn)

Ray Finkle
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Per rotoworld.com:

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein told the Padres on Saturday that he wants to wait and talk to David Wells after the Red Sox report to spring training before pursuing any trades.
Epstein may not be able to convince Wells to withdraw his trade request, but since there isn't much of a market for Wells right now, the Red Sox are probably better off waiting until March to deal him anyway.

GreenMonster
01-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Alex Gonzalez signs on for 1 year and 3 million. Is it time for pitchers and catchers to report yet..

FaninPatsyLand
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Alex Gonzalez signs on for 1 year and 3 million. Is it time for pitchers and catchers to report yet..

I like it... as long as Gonzalez plays strong defense, anything he does at the plate is gravy.

With the addition of Gonzalez, the Red Sox are outstanding up the middle defensively when teamed up with Varitek, Loretta and Crisp.

I really like the look of this team...

FIN-IN-RI
01-31-2006, 04:58 PM
i like our depth

Ray Finkle
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I like it... as long as Gonzalez plays strong defense, anything he does at the plate is gravy.

With the addition of Gonzalez, the Red Sox are outstanding up the middle defensively when teamed up with Varitek, Loretta and Crisp.

I really like the look of this team...

I agree. I already went on record saying I don't care if Gonzo beats .200 as long as he plays gold glove defense. I think signing him to only a 1 year deal was great too.

This team does have some serious depth.

GreenMonster
02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree. I already went on record saying I don't care if Gonzo beats .200 as long as he plays gold glove defense. I think signing him to only a 1 year deal was great too.

This team does have some serious depth.

Thank God we won't have to trot Cora out for anything more than a defensive replacement. He can come in after we pinch hit for Gonzo and play 1 inning.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
From the Herald:

The Red Sox will soon announced the re-signing of Gabe Kapler to a minor league contract.

Welcome back Gabe.

GreenMonster
02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
From the Herald:

The Red Sox will soon announced the re-signing of Gabe Kapler to a minor league contract.

Welcome back Gabe.

We all knew this would happen. If he could get healthy fast and plays like the Gabe of old, he would be a great 4th outfielder. I still would like to find someone for the Trot Nixon injury scenario. Payton would be perfect, but I don't see this happening.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Here's a small write up on the guys being invited to camp, nothing special however it should be noted that former Yankee/Pedro Martinez killer Enique Wilson is invited (maybe the Sox are getting ready for their interleague series vs. Mets).

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Ray Finkle
02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Alex Gonzalez apparently passed his physical and the signing should be announced today.

GreenMonster
02-03-2006, 01:53 PM
What Sox links do you guys use to grab some info. I haven't really been a part of Sons for a while although I always visit during the season. Any other cool sites and things you guys have found. Baseball Fever....

Ray Finkle
02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
What Sox links do you guys use to grab some info. I haven't really been a part of Sons for a while although I always visit during the season. Any other cool sites and things you guys have found. Baseball Fever....

The sites I use:

rotoworld.com
boston.com
bostondirtdogs.com
sonsofsamhorn.com

Ray Finkle
02-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Alex Gonzalez's deal is finalized. His contract isn't guaranteed so if he sucks the Sox can cut him and simply pay him 500,000 instead of 3 million.

FaninPatsyLand
02-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Well seeing as how it is kind of slow around here, I figured I'd make a post about the Manny saga. I've heard this talked about on numerous talk shows in the Boston area, and on WEEI. Let me first start off by saying that I don't see any chance of this happening, but it should make for a pretty interesting discussion.

Red Sox-Angels revisit Manny
Feb 3 - The Red Sox have made another strong push to deal outfielder Manny Ramirez to the Angels, The Los Angeles Times reports. But the talks reportedly slowed because the Angels thought the Red Sox were asking for too much in return.

Boston was believed to have asked for at least four players: pitcher Ervin Santana, INF/OF Chone Figgins and two or three of the Angels' top four prospects, a list that includes shortstop Brandon Wood and second baseman Howie Kendrick.

The Red Sox, according to The Times, also wanted the Angels to assume almost all of the $57 million remaining on Ramirez's contract.

If the Angels were willing to give that up, I'd be awfully tempted... and this is coming from a guy who hopes Ramirez retires as a Red Sox.

What do you guys think??

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors?CMP=ILC-INHEAD&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2ffeatures%2frumors%3fCMP%3dILC-INHEAD%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

Ray Finkle
02-04-2006, 12:35 AM
:deadhorse

Very very interesting offer. I would definitely consider it. Wood is suppose to be a can't miss stud prospect. I like Santana a lot too. I also happen to think Figgins is a pretty good player too.

I'd throw in Clement with Manny if I were to do it though. I doubt there's anything to that rumor though. Sounds like a slow day in Boston to me.

Ray Finkle
02-05-2006, 01:59 PM
According to Gammons he said the Sox/Angel rumor for Manny was false and just made up. Here's what Gammons said per ESPN.com:

The Red Sox did not offer Manny Ramirez for Brandon Wood, Howie Kendrick, Johan Santana and Chone Figgins. They will wait until spring training to see who needs David Wells and Tony Graffanino. The Rangers, Cubs and Devil Rays have talked to Boston about Graf.

I think Gammons needs to go some proof reading before sending these things out. :lol:

Any thoughts on who or what we could get back for Tony Graffanino or David Wells?

I'd love to get Kevin Mench for Tony Graffanino.

GreenMonster
02-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Mench for Graff would be great, Mench is very much like Gabe Kaplar. I can't wait to see what teams are willing to give up for Wells, knowing you only get him for 1 year really..

Ray Finkle
02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Mench for Graff would be great, Mench is very much like Gabe Kaplar. I can't wait to see what teams are willing to give up for Wells, knowing you only get him for 1 year really..

Yeah, but Wells is a big game pitcher and did win 15 games last year. I could see a team like say St. Louis or the Angels picking him up as a 4th or 5th pitcher.

I think Graff has a lot of trade value. He can play all 4 infield positions and a lot of teams need a good 2nd baseman.

John Biello
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
9 pages and 2 seasons in i just discovered this far reach of red sox nation. and im glad i did

Ray Finkle
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
9 pages and 2 seasons in i just discovered this far reach of red sox nation. and im glad i did

Welcome aboard man, always good to talk to fellow Red Sox fans. Hopefully you'll come back here and post all season (we can never have enough Red Sox fans talking here).

Just Win Baby
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey fellas! You can count on me to be posting plenty in here.

FaninPatsyLand
02-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Excellent, I knew you were a Sox fan, but I didn't think you knew about this part of the site or our thread. Great to see you in here... hope you're here throughout the season.

Living in North Jersey/NYC? Right in the belly of the beast.. god bless you. :lol:

Ray Finkle
02-06-2006, 11:13 PM

Welcome man. You better be posting plenty!

UCFinfan86
02-07-2006, 11:07 AM
this is has got to be one of our best defensive teams ever. The only sort of liability is Manny, and he can make the great play, just sometimes has problem with the routine ones. I love nixon's arm

PressCoverage
02-07-2006, 11:24 AM
When does Varitek begin to wear down, however? Catchers after 32 are a tough read...

GreenMonster
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
When does Varitek begin to wear down, however? Catchers after 32 are a tough read...

He may not be able to get as many days off this year with Doug gone.. Who is gonna catch Wakefield this year, is Varitek gonna give it a go, or will we have to see John F. every 5th day. Wasn't there a rumor about us getting Doug back..

Ray Finkle
02-07-2006, 12:50 PM
He may not be able to get as many days off this year with Doug gone.. Who is gonna catch Wakefield this year, is Varitek gonna give it a go, or will we have to see John F. every 5th day. Wasn't there a rumor about us getting Doug back..

Rumor was Wells for Dave Roberts and Doug Mirabelli.

I think V-Tek will still get the games Wakefield pitches off. I think V-Tek wore down a lot in August, so hopefully Terry sits him down more (which also means the Sox are way ahead in the playoff race).

And yes it is amazing that the Sox upgraded their bullpen and defense and yet the only things the sports writers are talking about is Johnny Damon as a Yankee and the Blue Jays with their moves.

Ray Finkle
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
The Red Sox are preparing to offer Roger Clemens a contract. They are in the works of making a video of Clemens best Red Sox moments and fans asking Clemens to "finish what he started in Boston". Also the Sox F.O. is using the 1 more win until he passes Cy Young on the all time Red Sox win list, and that he's going to go into the Hall as a Sox and with his number retired.

Personally I doubt Clemens will come back. I think it's Houston or Texas or nothing. Plus I think Clemens price tag would be very high in the 15 to 18 million range.

Ray Finkle
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Apparently John Henry and Larry Lucchino might have met with Roger Clemens in Houston about a possibly deal according to the Boston Globe.

GreenMonster
02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Apparently John Henry and Larry Lucchino might have met with Roger Clemens in Houston about a possibly deal according to the Boston Globe.

This would be ill planning, because Clemens will cost north of 20 million. Signing Clemens means we let Damon and Marte go for 1 year of Clemens.. Yuck.. I still prefer Coco over Damon, but Marte could turn out to be a stud if he continues to improve.

Ray Finkle
02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
This would be ill planning, because Clemens will cost north of 20 million. Signing Clemens means we let Damon and Marte go for 1 year of Clemens.. Yuck.. I still prefer Coco over Damon, but Marte could turn out to be a stud if he continues to improve.

I agree I don't understand why they would want Clemens back. He's 44 and will cost them at least 15 million. Also the Sox have too many starting pitchers to begin with.

I love Clemens, he was my first favorite player growing up and he's one of the best pitchers in the history of the game but I just don't trust him to get the big win in the playoffs.

Ray Finkle
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Spring training has officially started. Here's a link to a bunch of pictures: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/02_17_06_spring/

Some notes from a friend of mine who's down in Ft. Myers right now: Schilling is looking very skinnier compared to last year. David Wells reported to camp. Coco Crisp is getting big reaction from the fans and media. Kevin Youkilis is sporting a new look of a shaved head and goatee. Papelbon and Lester have been getting mobbed by people too. David Ortiz reported to camp yesterday. Overall my fan said that almost all of the players are signing a lot autographs for the people and being very friendly with them. There are thousands of people that show up for these work outs.

First ST game is March 3rd I believe.

GreenMonster
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
What do you guys think about a possible Arroyo for Nick Johnson or Ryan Church deal?

FaninPatsyLand
02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
What do you guys think about a possible Arroyo for Nick Johnson or Ryan Church deal?

I've always liked Nick Johnson.. even as far back when he was the supposed future at 1st Base for the Yankees.

I don't mind Arroyo, he's a decent back-end of the rotation guy who comes pretty cheap, but I don't trust him in October. Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS is all that needs to be said. Granted he came back later in the playoffs (Game 6 and recorded some big outs, including A-Rod :lol:) but with the depth we have in the rotation and pen we're going to have to trade some guys.

Ray Finkle
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I've always liked Nick Johnson.. even as far back when he was the supposed future at 1st Base for the Yankees.

I don't mind Arroyo, he's a decent back-end of the rotation guy who comes pretty cheap, but I don't trust him in October. Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS is all that needs to be said. Granted he came back later in the playoffs (Game 6 and recorded some big outs, including A-Rod :lol:) but with the depth we have in the rotation and pen we're going to have to trade some guys.

I'd like to have Johnson too. He's an OBP machine, something Theo and Company have to love, plus when healthy he plays above average defense too. The problem with him is is that he's never healthy. I liked what I saw of Ryan Church last year too.

I'd rather trade Clement for him instead of Arroyo obviously because Arroyo can start and come out of the pen. With trading Clement the Sox are going to have to pay a lot of his contract, however Jim Bowen is reported to have asked the Red Sox to pay for all of Arroyo's 11.25 million dollar contract, also the Red Sox apparently have a handshake deal with Arroyo saying that they wouldn't trade him this spring so who knows.

The major league trading chips the Sox have right now are: Arroyo, Clement, Wells, Graffanino and Nixon. I wouldn't be surprised to see any one of those players traded at any time.

NJFINSFAN1
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
The word on ESPN radio is the Nats are offering Soriano to the Red Soxs for pitching help.

Ray Finkle
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
The word on ESPN radio is the Nats are offering Soriano to the Red Soxs for pitching help.

I heard that rumor too. Word is is that the Sox turned it down because they want nothing to do with Soriano. I don't blame them, Soriano is a great hitter but I don't want him anywhere near Fenway, he doesn't walk enough, strikes out too much, isn't very clutch and stinks at defense.

NJFINSFAN1
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I heard that rumor too. Word is is that the Sox turned it down because they want nothing to do with Soriano. I don't blame them, Soriano is a great hitter but I don't want him anywhere near Fenway, he doesn't walk enough, strikes out too much, isn't very clutch and stinks at defense.

I can understand that, but put his bat in the lineup with Manny and Ortiz?:eek:

Ray Finkle
02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I can understand that, but put his bat in the lineup with Manny and Ortiz?:eek:

Hey I agree, he's a great hitter however we all remember the last time he was in meaningful games.... he played them from the bench because he couldn't hit a ball even if it were on a tee.

As good as Soriano is, he isn't worth the prospects the Sox would have to give up for him.

miaD5499
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
RED SUX!!! GOOO YANKEES!!!! prediction from damons father that trading damon was the worst move in franchise history and that there will b a new curse placed on the red sux !!!

Ray Finkle
02-27-2006, 11:28 PM
RED SUX!!! GOOO YANKEES!!!! prediction from damons father that trading damon was the worst move in franchise history and that there will b a new curse placed on the red sux !!!

Hey great welcome to the thread. First of all the Red Sox never traded Damon. Damon was a free agent and took the Yankees offer. It was Damon's choice to go to the Yankees. Good for Damon's father though to speak, as if anyone cares.

As for the worst move in franchise history.... I guess we'll see, however I'm sure this guy named Ruth might disagree with that.

GreenMonster
02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Ray you here Wells won't even be reporting.. I think we may be holding out for something decent. Lawerence getting hurt should help our cause..

FaninPatsyLand
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Ray you here Wells won't even be reporting.. I think we may be holding out for something decent. Lawerence getting hurt should help our cause..

Wells reported on time last week. He hasn't done much outside of throwing long-toss because the team wants to be careful in how they proceed with him.

GreenMonster
02-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Wells reported on time last week. He hasn't done much outside of throwing long-toss because the team wants to be careful in how they proceed with him.

I thought I heard they sent him home until a trade happens.. Maybe I am wrong..

FaninPatsyLand
02-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Oh, you could be correct on that. I honestly have no idea what they were planning to do with him throughout spring training. Sending him home seems strange, one would figure the Red Sox would want to prove to potential suitors that he was actually healthy. But again, I haven't heard any news about Wells since he reported last week.

Very interesting if this is true and I don't doubt you.

Ray Finkle
02-28-2006, 12:10 AM

I haven't heard that, however my father has been down in Ft. Myers and was at the Red Sox Spring Training site last Tuesday and Wednesday and didn't see Wells there at all. Everyone else was there but not Wells. So maybe you could be right.

GreenMonster
02-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Found an article that said he hasn't been taking part in workouts and didn't pose for the team picture.. He has been long-throwing at the indoor facility which is why nobody has seen him..

Ray Finkle
02-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Found an article that said he hasn't been taking part in workouts and didn't pose for the team picture.. He has been long-throwing at the indoor facility which is why nobody has seen him..

Yeah I found the same article. My dad did tell me he was talking with some team officials and they told him that Wells has been really be distant with the guys on the team, he's always by himself. That's bad chemistry. I'm sure Wells will be moved soon.

Ray Finkle
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Foulke's been getting injections into his knees and will continue to do so for the next 2 weeks. I don't like the sound of that. At least the Sox have Timlin, Hansen and Papelbon to fall back on in case Foulke can't be depended upon this season. I think if Foulke isn't ready to go that the Sox should throw Timlin or Papelbon in the closer role (depending on whether or not Wells/Clement/Arroyo) gets traded. I'd really like to see Papelbon in the rotation though. The closer's job will be Hansens in 2007 if not sooner.

A guy that's on the trading block that I would LOVE to get back on the Sox is Scott Williamson. Word out of Chicago is that the Cubs have no use for him and are looking to dump him. Granted Williamson is always hurt, but when he's healthy he's a very good pitcher (if he has control). I'd love to see the Sox try and get him. I bet they could get him pretty cheap too.

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Manny is back in camp yesterday, after hearing many tell us true Sox fans he was getting moved this offseason.. Alas he is to good and makes to much for him to go anywhere really, and so Manny will be where he belongs right next to big Papi..

FaninPatsyLand
03-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Manny is back in camp yesterday, after hearing many tell us true Sox fans he was getting moved this offseason.. Alas he is to good and makes to much for him to go anywhere really, and so Manny will be where he belongs right next to big Papi..

Ain't that the truth.

Manny and Ortiz for another year, we as Sox fans should not take that combination for granted like many around New England do. Sit back and enjoy watching those two cause complete havoc on opposing staffs.

I can't wait to see this team in action, I love the makeup of the roster. We could be in for a special year.

Ray Finkle
03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Wait you mean Manny is still with the Red Sox? Go figure.....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/BDD_manny_point-1.jpg

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Ain't that the truth.

Manny and Ortiz for another year, we as Sox fans should not take that combination for granted like many around New England do. Sit back and enjoy watching those two cause complete havoc on opposing staffs.

I can't wait to see this team in action, I love the makeup of the roster. We could be in for a special year.

Papelbon is starting tonight in the 1st grapefruit league game against the Twins.. I can't wait to see some Coco leading off and come Loretta in the 2 hole behind our big boppers.. Coco himself would be a better #2 hitter, but he is still young and hopefully will learn to walk more, ala Andruw Jones.. Loretta is the perfect #2 hitter if, he can make the change to the AL flawlessly.

GreenMonster
03-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Coco 3-3 tonight.. Man I can't wait to see this guy in the field daily.. Was a HR shy of a cycle. Papelbon pitched ok, after taking a ball of the ankle from Stewart.

FaninPatsyLand
03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Coco 3-3 tonight.. Man I can't wait to see this guy in the field daily.. Was a HR shy of a cycle. Papelbon pitched ok, after taking a ball of the ankle from Stewart.

Coco already has a triple? Apparently he isn't wasting any time.. he and Loretta have the potential to be a force setting the table for Papi/Manny. It will be in sharp contrast to last year when it seemed like Renteria never got on base for the big boys. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the box score from last nights game. It sucks that it wasn't televised up here.

Did Papelbon pitch poorly? Do you happen to have his line?

GreenMonster
03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Coco already has a triple? Apparently he isn't wasting any time.. he and Loretta have the potential to be a force setting the table for Papi/Manny. It will be in sharp contrast to last year when it seemed like Renteria never got on base for the big boys. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the box score from last nights game. It sucks that it wasn't televised up here.

Did Papelbon pitch poorly? Do you happen to have his line?

1 and 2/3 4H 2ER 1K and a ball of the ankle.. Big HR to Hunter.. (RF in Fenway next year maybe)..

FaninPatsyLand
03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
1 and 2/3 4H 2ER 1K and a ball of the ankle.. Big HR to Hunter.. (RF in Fenway next year maybe)..

Damn, the last thing we need is for Papelbon to go down with ankle problems, hopefully he's fine. 4 hits in 1 and 2/3's is not impressive, but at least he had command of the strikezone (no walks). It's only the first ST game so you have to take this performance with the grain of salt, I'm sure he's working on developing that splitter as well as refining his mechanics.

Not a bad performance for his first outing of the year.

Ray Finkle
03-03-2006, 05:39 PM
According to reports Papelbon had problems with his control. He hung a curveball or change up to Hunter which he took deep. I wouldn't worry about it too much, after all it is March 3rd.

By the way, word is Schilling pitched very well in his outing today vs. Boston College. Again nothing to get excited about but it was said his location and velocity were very good.

Ray Finkle
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
From the Boston Globe:

David Wells met with Red Sox GM Theo Epstein yesterday and said he wanted to stay with Boston.

Very interesting, maybe Theo told Wells of the teams that actually wanted him and Wells decided that his best bet was sticking with the Sox. There are still 7 starting pitchers on the team (although Arroyo and Papelbon could easily fit into the pen) however I'd still like to see the Sox move Clement or Wells still. Although I'm sure Theo will hold out until the right deal goes, after all I'm sure there will be teams after a starter in July too.

Graffinano is probably going to be moved soon too. I heard that the Mets are very interested in him, and apparently the Sox already told the Mets Tony G could be theirs for Lastings Milledge (I'm sure even Omar laughed at that one) but hey why not try it? Too bad Tony Graffinano's name isn't Julio Sanchez, cuz Omar would be all over him if it was.

It should be interesting to see who gets moved and for who. Opening Day is less than a month away.

GreenMonster
03-05-2006, 10:14 PM
[quote=Ray Finkle]

Graffinano is probably going to be moved soon too. I heard that the Mets are very interested in him, and apparently the Sox already told the Mets Tony G could be theirs for Lastings Milledge (I'm sure even Omar laughed at that one) but hey why not try it? Too bad Tony Graffinano's name isn't Julio Sanchez, cuz Omar would be all over him if it was.

quote]

Omar is holding out for Alex Cora.. Beltran, Delgado, Cora, how can we lose..

Ray Finkle
03-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Just wondering if any Sox fans heard Manny's quote about him saying this is the best Red Sox team he has been on :lol: Hopefully he's a good judge of talent and is right. I guess maybe he likes what he's seen in the 5 or 6 days he's been in camp.

Also it looks like Josh Bard will be the back up catcher.

PressCoverage
03-10-2006, 02:01 AM
i wonder how Varitek is having to embrace the Yankee contingent as teammates at the WBC... :rolleyes2

Rocky Raccoon
03-10-2006, 02:05 AM
i wonder how Varitek is having to embrace the Yankee contingent as teammates at the WBC... :rolleyes2

I saw about 5 minutes of the U.S. vs. Canade WBC game...and I saw Jason Varitek hit a grand slam...and A-Rod strikeout. Loved it :lol:

Ray Finkle
03-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I saw about 5 minutes of the U.S. vs. Canade WBC game...and I saw Jason Varitek hit a grand slam...and A-Rod strikeout. Loved it :lol:

Arod couldnt't even carry his team when it matter, why do you expect him to carry his country? It is funny hearing him get booed by the America fans though. Typical Arod will probably have a field day today against the South African pitching and then disappear in the next round.

miaD5499
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey great welcome to the thread. First of all the Red Sox never traded Damon. Damon was a free agent and took the Yankees offer. It was Damon's choice to go to the Yankees. Good for Damon's father though to speak, as if anyone cares.

As for the worst move in franchise history.... I guess we'll see, however I'm sure this guy named Ruth might disagree with that.

my bad for saying he was traded i meant to say that for not offering more money than the yankees and letting him slip away

miaD5499
03-10-2006, 06:30 PM
just wondering though how do you think red sox fans are going to react to damon when hes name is announced next year during the yankee-redsox first game in fenway park

UCFinfan86
03-10-2006, 07:11 PM
i think he will be booed

FaninPatsyLand
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
just wondering though how do you think red sox fans are going to react to damon when hes name is announced next year during the yankee-redsox first game in fenway park

First plate appearence - Red Sox fans will recognize his contribution to the organization and how he played a vital role in their World Championship run of 2004. He'll get a loud positive reaction, maybe even a standing ovation.

Next plate appearence (and continuing throughout his contract) - He's just another Yankee. He'll be abused in Fenway.

Of course, all this is my opinion. This is how I would react though..

Ray Finkle
03-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what everyone else will do however if I'm at the first Red Sox/Yankee game at Fenway this year and Damon is up at bat I would simply sit in my seat and neither boo nor cheer. I'll just be silent. I'm not going to cheer him, eventhough he helped the Sox win a WS, because I'm actually annoyed by always reading Damon quotes about how the Red Sox disrespected him. Everyday there's a new Damon quote about the Red Sox. He really needs to let it go, the Sox wanted to move on and wanted to get younger. He sounds like a teenager getting dumped by the hottest girl in school and keeps telling how friends how great those 4 months with her was.

FIN-IN-RI
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
According to reports Papelbon had problems with his control. He hung a curveball or change up to Hunter which he took deep. I wouldn't worry about it too much, after all it is March 3rd.

By the way, word is Schilling pitched very well in his outing today vs. Boston College. Again nothing to get excited about but it was said his location and velocity were very good.

I heard that the change-up Schilling had going was devastating.. Definitely something to look for!

King Felix
03-10-2006, 10:29 PM
that will be intresting........i hate both teams tho

PressCoverage
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees" ... Johnny Damon, May 3.

"It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

I'd say that's a boo-able offense...

PressCoverage
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Back to Varitek... Forgive me for sounding like the evil overlord, but I'm not happy V is playing in the WBC.

I'm worried that too many innings in this thing is worse for him than any other player I can think of. He's 34, yes? I'm hoping he gets a good chunk of DH days this season. Don't want him wearing down...

FaninPatsyLand
03-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Back to Varitek... Forgive me for sounding like the evil overlord, but I'm not happy V is playing in the WBC.

I'm worried that too many innings in this thing is worse for him than any other player I can think of. He's 34, yes? I'm hoping he gets a good chunk of DH days this season. Don't want him wearing down...

Excellent point. The last couple of years around August/September he's gone into month long slumps. He's not getting any younger and you have to believe this tournament is more taxing on his body than any spring training regiment he'd be on in Fort Myers.

Personally, with the turnover in our clubhouse from this past offseason, I'd rather see him back in Red Sox camp developing a chemistry especially with the new arms we'll have on this team. (Beckett and the bullpen in particular)

Ray Finkle
03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Excellent point. The last couple of years around August/September he's gone into month long slumps. He's not getting any younger and you have to believe this tournament is more taxing on his body than any spring training regiment he'd be on in Fort Myers.

Personally, with the turnover in our clubhouse from this past offseason, I'd rather see him back in Red Sox camp developing a chemistry especially with the new arms we'll have on this team. (Beckett and the bullpen in particular)

Exactly, he was awful last year in August and September. He was clearly tired. In fact the only time V-tek was good in August and September was in 2004 and that was becuase he had to sit out 5 games for his part in the brawl with Slappy McBlue Lips. Hopefully the Sox have a big lead in August and September so Terry could rest V-tek more.

PressCoverage
03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
So what's the deal on Foulke? He's costing $6M.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/03/11/foulke_injects_some_optimism/

Is he gonna be ready, or what? Says he's working on a splitter?

FaninPatsyLand
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
So what's the deal on Foulke? He's costing $6M.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/03/11/foulke_injects_some_optimism/

Is he gonna be ready, or what? Says he's working on a splitter?

We're not gonna know the answer to that question till sometime in May. Two spring trainings ago when he signed with the Red Sox he was downright awful, he came into the regular season and had one of the best years of his career and was absolutely nails in the postseason. Last year was exactly the opposite, he was decent in camp and then (as I'm sure you know) was atrocious during the season.

You can't take anything away from what he does in camp. And I think it'll take at least a month of baseball to get a read on him. As Red Sox fans we just gotta hope that the velocity on his fastball is back up to the low 90's area. If there's no differential in speed between his 4 seemer/2 seemer and changeup (like last year) then he's destined to fail.

Ray Finkle
03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
If you look at Foulke's career he usually sucks every other year. With that being said he can't be much worse than he was last year. IF he pitches anywhere near 2004 the Sox pen could be down right nasty. If he sucks again this year at least there's back up in Timlin, Taveras, Riske,Papelbon and Hansen. All 5 of those guys have been closers at some point in their careers.

FIN-IN-RI
03-13-2006, 09:20 AM
This is just spring training right? Nothing to get worried about. Right?

I need reassurance.. Thanks

Ray Finkle
03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
This is just spring training right? Nothing to get worried about. Right?

I need reassurance.. Thanks

Yes relax. Wouldn'tyou want the Red Sox to get all their losses out of the way in March rather than April, May, June, July, August, September and October?

Sure the Sox are sucking right now however on the flip side the Florida Marlins are having a big spring. Clearly once April rolls around things will be much different and back to normal.

GreenMonster
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Coco is hitting .455, looking good.. Johnny is 1-7 in the classic and now has shoulder problems. I bet George is not very happy about Damon getting hurt in the WBC..

FaninPatsyLand
03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Coco is hitting .455, looking good.. Johnny is 1-7 in the classic and now has shoulder problems. I bet George is not very happy about Damon getting hurt in the WBC..

Damon's got tendinitis in his throwing shoulder..

It's the same problem that plagued him the second half of last season when he looked downright awful in at bats and trying to throw the ball.

This is just priceless!

Ray Finkle
03-15-2006, 07:41 PM

It's the same problem that plagued him the second half of last season when he looked downright awful in at bats and trying to throw the ball.

This is just priceless!

I know Cashman has come out and said this isn't a problem however if I were a Yankees or a fan I'd be very worried. Damon was pretty bad last year in the 2nd half due to his shoulder injury (i.e. runners tagging up and scoring from 2nd base on a routine fly ball hit to Damon and bad at the plate). There were numerous reports that Damon was going to a doctor a lot during the off season to try to fix his shoulder problem.

Big Stein will go nuts if Damon plays like he did for the 2nd half of the season last year with all the money he invested in him.

GreenMonster
03-15-2006, 11:55 PM

This is just priceless!

Can't say that this doesn't make me happy also.. When Boston gets a look at Coco, we will quickly forget Johnny Damon... Thanx for the last 4 years, but you won't be the same player that we won the series with ever again, and although we had to give up Marte, I am thrilled we have a young stud CF..

Rocky Raccoon
03-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I know Cashman has come out and said this isn't a problem however if I were a Yankees or a fan I'd be very worried. Damon was pretty bad last year in the 2nd half due to his shoulder injury (i.e. runners tagging up and scoring from 2nd base on a routine fly ball hit to Damon and bad at the plate). There were numerous reports that Damon was going to a doctor a lot during the off season to try to fix his shoulder problem.

Big Stein will go nuts if Damon plays like he did for the 2nd half of the season last year with all the money he invested in him.

ok bro...your avarter is bothering me :chuckle:, I'm trying to figure out who they are but can't. I know the one on the bottom left is Beckett, and the one next to him is Coco...who are the others?

Ray Finkle
03-16-2006, 12:29 AM
ok bro...your avarter is bothering me :chuckle:, I'm trying to figure out who they are but can't. I know the one on the bottom left is Beckett, and the one next to him is Coco...who are the others?

From left to right:
Top row:
Jonathan Papelbon, Craig Hansen, Jon Lester
Bottom row:
Josh Beckett, Coco Crisp, Dustin Pedroia

Papelbon, Hansen, Lester and Pedroia are the top 4 Sox prospects. Lester and Pedroia have never played in the MLB yet. Lester is a lefty starter and Pedroia is a middle infielder. I'm sure you heard of both Papelbon and Hansen, but in case you didn't Papelbon started a few games with the Sox last year, and pitched in the playoffs. Hansen is the future closer of the Sox.

Ray Finkle
03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Some news and rumors:

First news: Red Sox signed Juan Gonzalez to a minor league deal. Too bad this isn't 1995 or that would have been a great signing. Juan will probably hurt himself walking to the field tomorrow so I wouldn't count on him even playing a game for the Sox.

Now the rumor per rotoworld.com:

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility.

I'd love a Pena for Clement deal. Pena would be a very good 4th OF especially hitting in Fenway Park.

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Willy Mo also hits lefties well, so Trot can sit and we can have a decent replacement.. I like the deal but don't want to pay that much, and I am against giving up Arroyo in any deal..

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Willy Mo also hits lefties well, so Trot can sit and we can have a decent replacement.. I like the deal but don't want to pay that much, and I am against giving up Arroyo in any deal..

Hey if the Sox could get Wily Mo, I'm all for trading Nixon for a possible first base man or something. I'm not Nixon's biggest fan by any means.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Breaking News:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2376683

Arroyo and cash for Pena

Too bad I liked Arroyo. Although I think Pena could do well in Boston. He's a young basher. So much for that handshake deal the Sox had with Arroyo.

I heard the Phillies are looking at Dustin Mohr as a 4th OFer. I wonder who would could get for him. Probably not much.

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know if Willy Mo is ready to play everyday, but when Trot gets hurt and against lefties he is a nice replacement and is still young (24).. Pretty sure we stuck with Snow/Youk at 1st this year.. Lowell better start coming around or we may need a 3B..

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Well I guess the Sox didn't listen.. We moved Arroyo for Pena just now..

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Well he's 24 years old and in 2004 he hit 26 homers in 350 at bats or so. He did have some injuries last year but he'll average about 20 home runs and bat about .260. Not bad for a 24 year old. I think being in Fenway and in the Sox line up could do a lot of good for him.

I'll miss Arroyo. I had the chance to meet him a few times and he was a great guy. I'm sure a lot of people in Boston are mad about this. However I think this is a pretty good move. You know what you're going to get with Arroyo. Pena has a lot of upside.

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Well he's 24 years old and in 2004 he hit 26 homers in 350 at bats or so. He did have some injuries last year but he'll average about 20 home runs and bat about .260. Not bad for a 24 year old. I think being in Fenway and in the Sox line up could do a lot of good for him.

I'll miss Arroyo. I had the chance to meet him a few times and he was a great guy. I'm sure a lot of people in Boston are mad about this. However I think this is a pretty good move. You know what you're going to get with Arroyo. Pena has a lot of upside.

He also hit about .290 vs Lefties so he start against them and Trot against righties.. I like the deal you are totally right about knowing what you have in Bronson and getting a young player with upside in Pena.. Great move Theo..:cooldude:

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Some quick info on Wily Mo:

He's 24 years old and the Sox have control of him until 2008.
He has a lot of power and can play all 3 OF positions.
He needs to be more patient at the plate, so hopefully Papa Jackson can help him out.

Pena has a ton of potential so if he can pan out this could be a steal for the Sox.

Theo's plan of getting younger and better is already in effect. I'm liking this deal a lot maybe that's just the homer in me but we know what Bronson had and let's face it he probably isn't going to get any better than he is today.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
He also hit about .290 vs Lefties so he start against them and Trot against righties.. I like the deal you are totally right about knowing what you have in Bronson and getting a young player with upside in Pena.. Great move Theo..:cooldude:

Nice job pulling up his lefties stats. I like the flexiblity with him too. He can play all 3 OF positions so if anyone needs a rest he'll fill in. Let's face it Nixon is going to get hurt at least once this year so I'm comfortable having Wily Mo step in and play 30 to 45 games instead of Adam Stern. Dustin Mohr and even Gabe Kapler.

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Nice job pulling up his lefties stats. I like the flexiblity with him too. He can play all 3 OF positions so if anyone needs a rest he'll fill in. Let's face it Nixon is going to get hurt at least once this year so I'm comfortable having Wily Mo step in and play 30 to 45 games instead of Adam Stern. Dustin Mohr and even Gabe Kapler.

Man this years team is gonna be young and exciting.. We got a lot younger in the offseason while the Yanks get older and the Jays get overpaid.. We may not win the division this year, but should have a great shot at it and have set ourselves up better for future years.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Man this years team is gonna be young and exciting.. We got a lot younger in the offseason while the Yanks get older and the Jays get overpaid.. We may not win the division this year, but should have a great shot at it and have set ourselves up better for future years.

I agree with everything you wrote. I can't wait to see the young guns like Lester, Pedroia and Hansen up at the show. The Sox future looks very promising. Hopefully everyone will live up to the hype.

FaninPatsyLand
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Solid move here..

I would have liked to see the team move Wells or Clement ahead of Arroyo, but Willy Mo was a nice pickup adding depth to our exceptional outfield. Mohr definitely becomes expendable now and I see the Front Office using him as trade bait.

Now the question becomes, do you carry 5 OF'ers into opening day? Adam Stern has looked outstanding this spring and he's making it hard for the Sox to leave him off the opening day roster.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Solid move here..

I would have liked to see the team move Wells or Clement ahead of Arroyo, but Willy Mo was a nice pickup adding depth to our exceptional outfield. Mohr definitely becomes expendable now and I see the Front Office using him as trade bait.

Now the question becomes, do you carry 5 OF'ers into opening day? Adam Stern has looked outstanding this spring and he's making it hard for the Sox to leave him off the opening day roster.

I think you'd have to keep Stern on the roster. He only needs to be on the roster for I believe 16 to 19 days. That's nothing. I think the Sox SHOULD keep Stern on the roster just to protect him. After the 19 days are up the Sox could and should send him down to the minors so he can play everyday.

I agree I think Clement or Wells should have been traded however I doubt they had much value at this point in time. Maybe by June or July it could be different.

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Stern will stay on the roster till his rule 5 is done, like Ray said its not that many more days..

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Stern will stay on the roster till his rule 5 is done, like Ray said its not that many more days..

Apparently the Sox are very high on Stern. I doubt they would want to lose him for only 2 weeks of keeping the bench warm.

Roman529
03-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Breaking News:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2376683

Arroyo and cash for Pena

Too bad I liked Arroyo. Although I think Pena could do well in Boston. He's a young basher. So much for that handshake deal the Sox had with Arroyo.

I heard the Phillies are looking at Dustin Mohr as a 4th OFer. I wonder who would could get for him. Probably not much.

My Phillies are going to be sick....too bad we got rid of Lofton. We got Burrell, Abreu, and Rowand (from the White Sox in CF).

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
My Phillies are going to be sick....too bad we got rid of Lofton. We got Burrell, Abreu, and Rowand (from the White Sox in CF).

Any truth to the Mohr to the Phillies rumors Roman? Who would you be willing to give up for him, do the Phillies have any good minor league players besides Gavin Floyd (which obviously won't trade for Mohr).

Hey maybe the Sox would consider shipping Nixon, Mohr and Clement off to Philly for Abreu like the rumored deal back in November?

Ray Finkle
03-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Some interesting/weird news, not that it really matters anyway:

per rotoworld.com:

"Even though his contract with the Red Sox was reported final, Juan Gonzalez is reportedly set to sign a minor league deal with the Athletics.
There wasn't going to be any room for Gonzalez in Boston following the Wily Mo Pena addition. He was expected to open the season in Triple-A even before the trade. Things aren't going to be much better for him in Oakland, at least not while Frank Thomas is healthy. Though he'll probably start off at Oakland's Triple-A Sacramento affiliate, his return to the majors may come with yet another team."

Oh well, probably better off without Juan in Triple A complaining about everything before hurting himself.

GreenMonster
03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
You guys know where we can find spring training stats.. Hansen everytime I look has been doing great.. I don't think he has even given up a run yet.. If Foulke can just limp through half the season, so Hansen can rest, I wouldn't mind seeing what this kid can do the rest of the year.. I heard his slider is looking quick sick now..

Ray Finkle
03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
You guys know where we can find spring training stats.. Hansen everytime I look has been doing great.. I don't think he has even given up a run yet.. If Foulke can just limp through half the season, so Hansen can rest, I wouldn't mind seeing what this kid can do the rest of the year.. I heard his slider is looking quick sick now..

Ummm maybe try looking at box scores on the spring training games, on ESPN.com or redsox.com. That's a good question though.

I saw Hansen's numbers last night and they were pretty impressive. 0 runs in 7 innigns with only 2 hits allowed. The kid is going to be a stud. I think we'll be seeing Hansen up before the year is done, I'm not counting on Foulke being good or making it the whole year.

GreenMonster
03-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Hansen 7.2 innings, 4H, 2BB, 5K's pretty good..

I am pretty sure Hansen and Declarmen will be getting major innings at the end of the season..

Ray Finkle
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Hansen 7.2 innings, 4H, 2BB, 5K's pretty good..

I am pretty sure Hansen and Declarmen will be getting major innings at the end of the season..

Yeah I'd have to agree with you there. Throw Lester's name in there as he can be the Papelbon of 2006.

Also if you haven't heard this name yet remember it: Edgar Martinez (not the former DH of the Seattle Mariners). He could turn into something special and possibly be a wildcard/K-Rod type in 2006. He's built like a bull and can really throw hard.

GreenMonster
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah I'd have to agree with you there. Throw Lester's name in there as he can be the Papelbon of 2006.

Also if you haven't heard this name yet remember it: Edgar Martinez (not the former DH of the Seattle Mariners). He could turn into something special and possibly be a wildcard/K-Rod type in 2006. He's built like a bull and can really throw hard.

True Sox fan here.. Gammons loves Edgar Martinez.. He has really been moving up lately and getting alot of love from minor league writers..

Ray Finkle
03-23-2006, 02:30 PM
True Sox fan here.. Gammons loves Edgar Martinez.. He has really been moving up lately and getting alot of love from minor league writers..

Edgar Martinez is the 2nd coming of Rich Garces. :lol:

Also don't count out Cla Meredith. He was brought up very quickly and put into some tough situations (thanks Terry Francona) and it messed with his confidence. However when he was sent back to the minors he pitched very well and is having a really nice spring too. He's another name that shouldn't be counted out.

Ray Finkle
03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Green Monster, check this link out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=bos

It's the Red Sox ST stats. Coco, Loretta and Manny are hitting the ball very well this spring.

Loretta is going to be a great pick up. Very underrated pick up too.

FaninPatsyLand
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Green Monster, check this link out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=bos

It's the Red Sox ST stats. Coco, Loretta and Manny are hitting the ball very well this spring.

Loretta is going to be a great pick up. Very underrated pick up too.

He's going to be the best offensive 2nd Baseman in the American League this year. Look at his numbers in 2004 (his last full season) he's an incredible bat in the lineup. It's absolutely ridiculous we picked him up for Doug Mirabelli.. He's a solid backup catcher and I liked him alot, but that was highway robbery on our part.

Ray Finkle
03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
He's going to be the best offensive 2nd Baseman in the American League this year. Look at his numbers in 2004 (his last full season) he's an incredible bat in the lineup. It's absolutely ridiculous we picked him up for Doug Mirabelli.. He's a solid backup catcher and I liked him alot, but that was highway robbery on our part.

It is funny that the Loretta move has probably been the let talked about move this offseason but could be the best one.

Apparently according to Loretta, Theo has been wanting to get him on the Sox since 2003, however Loretta didn't sign as a FA with Boston because Todd Walker was promised the everyday job. Funny how things work out sometimes.

GreenMonster
03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
It is funny that the Loretta move has probably been the let talked about move this offseason but could be the best one.

Apparently according to Loretta, Theo has been wanting to get him on the Sox since 2003, however Loretta didn't sign as a FA with Boston because Todd Walker was promised the everyday job. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Loretta was great move.. Don't know if we will be able to salvage Lowell from the deal but Loretta was a great pickup.. Perfect top of the order hitter for our lineup..

PressCoverage
03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2379891

Ray Finkle
03-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Here's something that went under the radar:

Red Sox claimed first baseman Hee-Seop Choi off waivers from the Dodgers.

Count me in as someone who likes this move. Choi is very cheap making under $1 million dollars. He's got an above average OBP and he might turn into a decent hitter at Fenway. I guess the move means that the Sox don't have faith J.T. Snow or Mike Lowell and if Choi doesn't get sent down to the minors I'm guessing Youkilis plays 1st and 3rd switching off with Choi and Lowell and Snow gets released.

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Here's something that went under the radar:

Red Sox claimed first baseman Hee-Seop Choi off waivers from the Dodgers.

Count me in as someone who likes this move. Choi is very cheap making under $1 million dollars. He's got an above average OBP and he might turn into a decent hitter at Fenway. I guess the move means that the Sox don't have faith J.T. Snow or Mike Lowell and if Choi doesn't get sent down to the minors I'm guessing Youkilis plays 1st and 3rd switching off with Choi and Lowell and Snow gets released.

Wow I didn't see this either.. Makes me think harder that Lowell may be done or very close to it.. Foulke struck out the side in 13 pitches in his triple A look.. I am not counting on Foulke giving us anything this year, so this is promising.

Ray Finkle
03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Wow I didn't see this either.. Makes me think harder that Lowell may be done or very close to it.. Foulke struck out the side in 13 pitches in his triple A look.. I am not counting on Foulke giving us anything this year, so this is promising.

Yeah I think the Sox are counting on both Snow and Lowell to be done.

I'm not gonna get impressed with Foulke until he does it in a real game. But it is encouraging.

FaninPatsyLand
03-25-2006, 01:22 PM

Those are my sentiments as well. Lowell has looked friggen brutal at the plate this spring.. and while I usually don't put much stock into Spring Training, when a guy is coming off an atrocious year and having changed his swing over the offseason, it's scary.

We can't afford to have another .220-.250 hitter in the lineup with Alex Gonzalez at SS, we need production out of 3rd base. I think we could expect to see Youk move back to 3rd and go with a platoon of Snow/Choi/Pena? at 1st.

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah I think the Sox are counting on both Snow and Lowell to be done.

I'm not gonna get impressed with Foulke until he does it in a real game. But it is encouraging.

Neither is doing that bad this spring.. I am totally unsure as to what either will give us if anything.. I am with ya on Foulke, they said he was topping out at 85-86 which is not good, he ain't no Maddux..

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Lowell 37 AB, 10 H, 5 2B, 4 R, 1 RBI, 5 BB, 2 K's.. I guess it could be worse..

Snow 25 AB, 7 H, 3 2B, 3 R, 7 RBI, 3 BB, 7 K's.. Decent..

FaninPatsyLand
03-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Did anyone happen to catch today's game against the Phillies? I was flipping back and forth between that and the NCAA Tourney, but anyway, Beckett looked really sharp. He was jawing at Ryan Howard all game long for standing and watching a deep fly ball he hit, and eventually it got to the point where the benches emptied. You can read more about it here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260326122

Onto Beckett's performance... his offspeed stuff was outstanding, he was hitting his spots and had good late movement on his fastball. He pitched 6 innings allowing 2 runs while striking out 6. He's a real competitor out there, it's going to be a joy watching this kid for years to come.

Ray Finkle
03-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Did anyone happen to catch today's game against the Phillies? I was flipping back and forth between that and the NCAA Tourney, but anyway, Beckett looked really sharp. He was jawing at Ryan Howard all game long for standing and watching a deep fly ball he hit, and eventually it got to the point where the benches emptied. You can read more about it here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260326122

Onto Beckett's performance... his offspeed stuff was outstanding, he was hitting his spots and had good late movement on his fastball. He pitched 6 innings allowing 2 runs while striking out 6. He's a real competitor out there, it's going to be a joy watching this kid for years to come.

Beckett certainly has that Clemens' fire in him. Hopefully the kid will be healthy enough to put up some of the numbers Clemens did with the Sox, plus win a championship.

I can't wait to see Beckett, Papelbon and Lester pitch for the Sox in the near future. Wow.

GreenMonster
03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Beckett certainly has that Clemens' fire in him. Hopefully the kid will be healthy enough to put up some of the numbers Clemens did with the Sox, plus win a championship.

I can't wait to see Beckett, Papelbon and Lester pitch for the Sox in the near future. Wow.

Add Hansen to that list.. The guy has been touched really this spring.. I hope they only start this kid at Triple A, to save his arm for the rest of the year, because he won't be pitching in the Minors long.. Thanx Boras..:lol:

PressCoverage
03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Saw enough of Choi right here at Pro Player. Not impressed at all. We now have a glut of first basemen, and all have huge question marks. I say just go with Youk and Pena and save the money.

Dunno what they're saying about Lowell. He still plays a mean third base, no?

Why are people saying Snow is done? Is he having injury problems? A horrible spring?

Ray Finkle
03-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Saw enough of Choi right here at Pro Player. Not impressed at all. We now have a glut of first basemen, and all have huge question marks. I say just go with Youk and Pena and save the money.

Dunno what they're saying about Lowell. He still plays a mean third base, no?

Why are people saying Snow is done? Is he having injury problems? A horrible spring?

Reports I read is that both Lowell and Snow have looked lost at the plate and out of shape.

I think the Sox had their eye on Choi for a long time because of his high OBP. Plus he's not making a lot of money and is low risk.

Sorry Monster I did forget about Hansen and yes thanks Boras for us getting Hansen and for talking to the Yanks about Damon. All hail Coco!

PressCoverage
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
by the way, Finklestein.... ummm... are you playing in any high stakes rotissierre leagues? Small stakes? Anything among people here?

Ray Finkle
03-27-2006, 01:10 PM
by the way, Finklestein.... ummm... are you playing in any high stakes rotissierre leagues? Small stakes? Anything among people here?

Nah not with anyone here. I play in the same 2 leagues each year: a keeper league and a league with a bunch of my friends.

PressCoverage
03-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Well then! We should start up a free Yahoo league!!! Who's in?

FaninPatsyLand
03-27-2006, 07:14 PM
It was another eventful day at the ballpark for the Red Sox. Don't things always seem to get interesting when we play Tampa? What the hell is it about benches clearing with the Devil Rays? I wonder what the punishment is going to be for Tavarez? The guy is a friggen headcase, you can't be throwing punches.. read more about the situation here...

And pictures courtesy of Dirt Dogs

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/BDD_327_tavar_one_ap-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/BDD_327_tavar_two_ap-1.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.com/

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
It was another eventful day at the ballpark for the Red Sox. Don't things always seem to get interesting when we play Tampa? What the hell is it about benches clearing with the Devil Rays? I wonder what the punishment is going to be for Tavarez? The guy is a friggen headcase, you can't be throwing punches.. read more about the situation here...

And pictures courtesy of Dirt Dogs

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_3.27._tavar_one_ap.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_3.27._tavar_two_ap.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.com/

:eek: Tavarez has always had a short fuse. I remember him when he was with the Cubs always having problems with his temper.

Ray Finkle
03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
One word comes to mind:

OWNED :lol:

But seriously how dumb is Taveras? He'll get suspended for at least 10 games. Reports I read say that Craig Hansen might be on the opening day roster now because of the incident. So I guess there is some good news to this.

Also why do the Sox and Rays always seem to fight? I guess people in Tampa Bay have something else to look forward too when the Sox come to town. You can bet that something is going to happen this year between the two teams, it does every year anyway.

FaninPatsyLand
03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Also why do the Sox and Rays always seem to fight? I guess people in Tampa Bay have something else to look forward too when the Sox come to town. You can bet that something is going to happen this year between the two teams, it does every year anyway.

It brings back memories of this...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/1143565783_5672-1.jpg

Doesn't it?

All we need now is Brian Daubach back in the fold to be target practice for Devil Rays' pitchers. :lol:

Ray Finkle
03-28-2006, 06:08 PM
What about last year when Nixon and Blaine Neal were nuts towards the Devil Rays becuase Kazmir hit Ortiz and Millar on back to back pitches.

This feud is clearly bad and not needed, someone is going to get hurt over this.