PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Rocky Raccoon
01-23-2006, 11:51 PM
after reading the Red Sox thread...I got excited. Football is winding down and Baseball is on the way!

I know we got some Mets fans here...so lets discuss the 2006 season!!!!!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
after reading the Red Sox thread...I got excited. Football is winding down and Baseball is on the way!

Already playing 2nd fiddle to the Sox.. We miss you Pedro..

Boik14
01-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Time to bust out the '86 mets theme song since the new season is budding with optimism: "We got the team work, to make the dream work, Lets Go, Mets GO!"

PressCoverage
01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
just listened to Anna Benson on the Dan Patrick show... talk about a woman who's completely out of touch with real life and real life issues... she really just needs to stop talking...

NJFINSFAN1
01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
just listened to Anna Benson on the Dan Patrick show... talk about a woman who's completely out of touch with real life and real life issues... she really just needs to stop talking...

I loved the part when she said she can't help that her big breastes pop out!

Roman529
01-30-2006, 02:25 AM
No more Mika Pizza Boy.....:lol: Piazza always seemed to kill my Phillies. :tantrum:

muscle979
01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Is Glavine still playing?

phunwin
01-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Is Glavine still playing?

Yup. He was pretty good last year, too. 3.53 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, ERA+ of 118. Deserved better than his 13-13 record.

I'll miss Piazza, but he was such a defensive liability and injury risk that he had to go. I'll look forward to his Cooperstown induction as a Met around 2012.

riding_becky
01-30-2006, 10:32 AM
The Mets are the worst run organization in the MLB..... that's coming from a Phillies fan which is pathetic. Your team looks great on paper this year but just wait 2 years when:

Wagner is on the DL when he reaggrivates his shoulder injury and you're paying him 11 mil a year

Delgado will try putting his glove on his right hand to see if it improves his defense, while slugging a whopping 23 HR's and batting .255 all while being paid 15 mil for his services

Pedro Martinez will be reduced to a 14.5 mil a year spot starter/ long reliever

And you'll have Milledge, Reyes, and Wright on the trading block looking to add the next Victor Zambrano to "solidify your rotation" for the post season run you won't be making. What would the Mets want to do with young talent? (See Scott Kazhmir)

So enjoy making a serious run at the playoffs this year only to lose to the braves in the final games, but just be ready to watch Ryan Howard slug 50 and the Phillies in the playoffs in 2007.

-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide becky

RWhitney014
01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Phil, I don't remember where you were singing the praises of Eric Junge as a dark horse for the Mets rotation, but forget it. Junge is a non-roster invitee to San Diego's camp.

phunwin
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Phil, I don't remember where you were singing the praises of Eric Junge as a dark horse for the Mets rotation, but forget it. Junge is a non-roster invitee to San Diego's camp.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the info, though.

I think Heilman will get the 5th spot, with Maine working as a middle reliever/setup man for now.

Rocky Raccoon
01-30-2006, 01:27 PM

I think Heilman will get the 5th spot, with Maine working as a middle reliever/setup man for now.

I hope so, I liked what I saw from Heilman last year and I think he has some talent in that arm.

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
So enjoy making a serious run at the playoffs this year only to lose to the braves in the final games, but just be ready to watch Ryan Howard slug 50 and the Phillies in the playoffs in 2007.

Is that when the Phills move down to the triple A level:sidelol:

RWhitney014
01-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're welcome. Don't think you want to be relying on a minor-league journeyman anyway.

Ray Finkle
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're welcome. Don't think you want to be relying on a minor-league journeyman anyway.

Hey it worked for 1 New York team already last year....

(I agree with you though)

muscle979
01-30-2006, 04:09 PM
The Mets are the worst run organization in the MLB..... that's coming from a Phillies fan which is pathetic. Your team looks great on paper this year but just wait 2 years when:

Wagner is on the DL when he reaggrivates his shoulder injury and you're paying him 11 mil a year

Delgado will try putting his glove on his right hand to see if it improves his defense, while slugging a whopping 23 HR's and batting .255 all while being paid 15 mil for his services

Pedro Martinez will be reduced to a 14.5 mil a year spot starter/ long reliever

And you'll have Milledge, Reyes, and Wright on the trading block looking to add the next Victor Zambrano to "solidify your rotation" for the post season run you won't be making. What would the Mets want to do with young talent? (See Scott Kazhmir)

You're right about the losing to the Braves part, but the Phillies in the playoffs :confused:

riding_becky
01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
You're right about the losing to the Braves part, but the Phillies in the playoffs :confused:

I know my phillies place this year.... 3rd in the division, but Gillick has got them in the right direction and by 2007 the phils will be in the playoffs

-riiiiiiiiiiiide becky

Roman529
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I know my phillies place this year.... 3rd in the division, but Gillick has got them in the right direction and by 2007 the phils will be in the playoffs

-riiiiiiiiiiiide becky

YOU KNOW IT!!!! All the Phin haters are gonna be crying when the Phils win the NL East in 2006. :lol:

muscle979
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
YOU KNOW IT!!!! All the Phin haters are gonna be crying when the Phils win the NL East in 2006. :lol:

Here's a predicition: Atlanta wins the NL East every year until Bobby Cox retires. :D

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM

:sidelol:

Boik14
02-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Yup. He was pretty good last year, too. 3.53 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, ERA+ of 118. Deserved better than his 13-13 record.

I'll miss Piazza, but he was such a defensive liability and injury risk that he had to go. I'll look forward to his Cooperstown induction as a Met around 2012. Glavine pitched like poop the 1st half of the season so his 13-13 was lucky. He saved himself with a very nice 2nd half. Now we need a full season of that.

As far as Piazza for 2m I dont know why the heck Omar didnt keep the best Met ever around. Here's a guy thats going to be our 1st position player in the HOF and who was willing to take a part time role....we should have jumped at it.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Glavine pitched like poop the 1st half of the season so his 13-13 was lucky. He saved himself with a very nice 2nd half. Now we need a full season of that.

As far as Piazza for 2m I dont know why the heck Omar didnt keep the best Met ever around. Here's a guy thats going to be our 1st position player in the HOF and who was willing to take a part time role....we should have jumped at it.

I doubt Piazza would have signed with the Mets for only 2 million. He probably thought there was more of a market for him than there was in reality. I don't think there was any way Omar was going to resign Mike, right or wrong.

#31 is headed into the Hall as a Met and no one will ever wear that number again. But his days are far far behind him now.

Boik14
02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I doubt Piazza would have signed with the Mets for only 2 million. He probably thought there was more of a market for him than there was in reality. I don't think there was any way Omar was going to resign Mike, right or wrong.

#31 is headed into the Hall as a Met and no one will ever wear that number again. But his days are far far behind him now. Piazza said publicly as late as august and sept he wanted to stay a met even if it meant as a back up role. He was coming off a 7/91m contract and said repeatedly how much he enjoyed his time as a met.

As far gone as his best days were he and Castro still combined to give the mets the #1 offensive backstop in the NL by far so his effectiveness isnt totally played out. Hes still good for for a 100 games a year 20-70 if you can tolerate watching him throw

Roman529
02-02-2006, 03:05 AM
Here's a predicition: Atlanta wins the NL East every year until Bobby Cox retires. :D

Leo Mazzoni, the Braves pitching coach is gone,,,,,he was the reason the Braves won, not Bobby "wifebeater" Cox.

phunwin
02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Piazza said publicly as late as august and sept he wanted to stay a met even if it meant as a back up role. He was coming off a 7/91m contract and said repeatedly how much he enjoyed his time as a met.

As far gone as his best days were he and Castro still combined to give the mets the #1 offensive backstop in the NL by far so his effectiveness isnt totally played out. Hes still good for for a 100 games a year 20-70 if you can tolerate watching him throw

The problem with Piazza is that we've long since reached the point of diminishing returns. Piazza's OPS has declined FIVE straight seasons. He went from a massive 1.012 in 2000 down to .778 last year. It's been a steady decline of about 50 points per year. He's 37 now; he's not suddenly going to get better especially catching every day. It's not hard to see Piazza putting up an OPS around .730 or .740 next year, at which point he's a slightly-above average offensive catcher and a terrible defensive one.

He might have said in August that he might come back in a backup role, but I'm skeptical about that. I think he was just trying to play a good soldier. If Omar had contacted him after the LoDuca deal and said "you can catch 35 games, fill in at first for 15, DH a few interleague games and pinch hit", I doubt that he would have accepted that. Personally, I would have given that a shot, futile as it might have been; LoDuca wears down in the second half every year.

Leo Mazzoni, the Braves pitching coach is gone,,,,,he was the reason the Braves won, not Bobby "wifebeater" Cox.

Actually, the reason the Braves won was John Schuerholz. NOBODY is better at keeping the cupboard stocked with talent, even with the purse strings are tightened.

Rocky Raccoon
02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
does anyone know the deal with the Mets new channel? How much it costs and what providers carry it??

MikeO
02-23-2006, 01:48 AM
does anyone know the deal with the Mets new channel? How much it costs and what providers carry it??

DIRECTV has picked it up. That's all I know about it thus far.

MikeO
02-23-2006, 01:49 AM

Wrong. They win because they have a farm system that grooms their players to play their system and their style of baseball better than any farm system out there. A lot of teams have farm systems that produce stars. But not many, maybe only Atlanta, prepare their stars to play their style of baseball which makes an easy transition for their stars.

Ray Finkle
02-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Wrong. They win because they have a farm system that grooms their players to play their system and their style of baseball better than any farm system out there. A lot of teams have farm systems that produce stars. But not many, maybe only Atlanta, prepare their stars to play their style of baseball which makes an easy transition for their stars.

I have to agree with Mike there. Also if Leo was so important to the team why did the Braves simply let him walk away without trying to counter the offer etc? Something sounds fishy there. The Braves are an excellent franchise and their F.O. is very good. You always have to question someone (a player or coach) if the Braves let them go that easily.

Plus I've heard from some of the media that Leo got possibly too much credit and it was really Bobby Cox doing the work. But then again who knows.

Don't count the Braves out they always find new ways to win.

phunwin
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM

I would expect you'll see more news coming in the next few weeks. A lot of times, these sort of deals come together at the last minute, with mounting pressure on both sides.

That said, you should contact your cable or satellite provider to tell them you want them to pick up SportsNet NY. The more of those calls they get, the more pressure is on them to get a deal done.

finswin56
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm going to see the Mets play the National's in Port St. Lucie this Saturday.
:cpatch:
This will be their 2nd spring game, as it follows the opener on Friday night against St. Louis.

Roman529
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
You guys better hope Pedro's toe gets better...I am worried about you guys. :lol:

GO PHILLIES.

NJFINSFAN1
03-01-2006, 05:27 PM
You guys better hope Pedro's toe gets better...I am worried about you guys. :lol:

GO PHILLIES.

Are the Phillies playing in the MLB this year? Or are they going down to triple A so they have a chance for a 500 season?:wink:

Roman529
03-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Are the Phillies playing in the MLB this year? Or are they going down to triple A so they have a chance for a 500 season?:wink:

That is so wrong!!! :mad:

Rocky Raccoon
03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Big article in the paper today about who is going to bat second in our order. Personally, I think Paul Lo Duca is the best fit to hit second, what do you guys think?

The lineup order I would like to see is...

Jose Reyes
Paul Lo Duca
Carlos Beltran
Carlos Delgado
David Wright
Cliff Floyd
Xavier Nady
Kaz Matsui

Ray Finkle
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Big article in the paper today about who is going to bat second in our order. Personally, I think Paul Lo Duca is the best fit to hit second, what do you guys think?

The lineup order I would like to see is...

Jose Reyes
Paul Lo Duca
Carlos Beltran
Carlos Delgado
David Wright
Cliff Floyd
Xavier Nady
Kaz Matsui

As an outsider (non Met fan) I personally think the Mets best line up would be:

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

Of course there's a problem with Floyd and Delgado being two lefties back to back. But if I were managing the team that's what I would do, or possibly flip Wright and Delgado.

NuttyFin
03-01-2006, 09:17 PM
GO METS!!! :woot:

Rocky Raccoon
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

Of course there's a problem with Floyd and Delgado being two lefties back to back. But if I were managing the team that's what I would do, or possibly flip Wright and Delgado.
Some people want Beltran hitting second and Wright hitting third...but IMO Wright is our best RBI man...and he did very well in the fifth spot last year, and I think he should stay there.

Beltran hitting second is fine by me.

Rocky Raccoon
03-01-2006, 10:06 PM
GO METS!!! :woot:

:yes:

Ray Finkle
03-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Some people want Beltran hitting second and Wright hitting third...but IMO Wright is our best RBI man...and he did very well in the fifth spot last year, and I think he should stay there.

Beltran hitting second is fine by me.

I think Beltran would be perfect hitting 2nd, he has no pressure to hit home runs and he hit every well in the 2 hole in KC and Houston.

I LOVE Wright a lot, I think he's a hell of a player and a good kid. I like Wright hitting 3rd because usually your best hitter bats 3rd. Plus Wright gets on base a lot giving Delgado a lot more RBI chances.

Rocky Raccoon
03-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I think Beltran would be perfect hitting 2nd, he has no pressure to hit home runs and he hit every well in the 2 hole in KC and Houston.

I LOVE Wright a lot, I think he's a hell of a player and a good kid. I like Wright hitting 3rd because usually your best hitter bats 3rd. Plus Wright gets on base a lot giving Delgado a lot more RBI chances.

yea David Wright is my favorite player...great heart, great talent, still very young. My guess is that Willie will move the lineup around a little bit constantly in the first few weeks to see where the players are more comfrotable. Wright will be either the 3rd or the 5th hitter and I prefer him 5th because it's the perfect spot in the batting order for a run producer...and no one produced runs better on the Mets last year than Wright...and he was 5th in the order most of the year.

Roman529
03-02-2006, 12:56 AM
ESPN just ran a ticker message that Pedro Martinez will not play for the Dominican Republic do to his toe injury.

Rocky Raccoon
03-02-2006, 01:00 AM
ESPN just ran a ticker message that Pedro Martinez will not play for the Dominican Republic do to his toe injury.

good...I didn't want him to play anyway. He needs to get himself ready for the season.

Rocky Raccoon
03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Xavier Nady was a beast today...4-6, 6 RBI, Grand Slam

NJFINSFAN1
03-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I think Wright will start in the 5 hole! But move to the three hole.

finswin56
03-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Perfect day for baseball... mid 70's, slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky:cooldude:

Heilman pitched the first two innings and looked solid. Bannister came in for the next two innings was also pretty effective. Neither guy gave up a run. Bradford came in for the next two, looked average giving up a run. A few other guys (non-roster invitees) pitched at the end, all were shaky.

It was a bit of a bummer not to see Beltran, Delgado, and Reyes, but D. Wright was there! Wright batted third, not that it matters much given the spring roster, and went hitless.

Anderson Hernandez was very impressive at the plate, 3-4, and looked solid in he few attempts in the field. He's going to push Kaz to get his *** in gear.

Jose Valentin looked like he was hitting BP; he made it look easy. Same thing goes for Cliff Floyd. Man that guy hit the ball hard.

Xavier Nady and Victor Diaz look to put up a great fight for RF. Both hit the ball well, but Nady made an Web Gem type of diving catch in LF. That catch probably saved Bannister a run.

I was stoked to see Lastings Milledge for the first time. Not much action for him in the field or at the plate. 0-1 with an uninspiring at bat.

The Nat's have a great looking kid at 3rd base, Ryan Zimmerman. He hit a jack to lead off the 7th(?). It cleared the fence in left-center by 20-30 feet. Pretty nice shot considering the wind was blowing in pretty siff by that point. He's a pretty big guy with great agility in the field. He made two outstanding plays on bunts that could have easily been infield hits. I couldn't have been more impressed with him. The only for him not to make the roster is if Robinson wants him to play every day in AAA. But, he'll replace Castilla soon enough.

BTW, I guess I never realized that Willie signed Sandy Alomar Sr. to be the 3rd base coach. I'm sure not going to complain about having another great baseball mind on the staff. Oh yea, I was wrong about it being the Met's 2nd game, it was their third.

I've got some pics, they're not great, but tough ****:wink: They'll be up in a few minutes

finswin56
03-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Wright in the field

Wright at the plate

Floyd putting the hurt on

Anderson Hernandez

Lastings Milledge with the wiff

Roman529
03-06-2006, 03:21 AM
LA Dodgers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/lad) 16, NY Mets (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nym) 2Preview - Box Score (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260305119) - Recap

:sidelol: GO PHILLIES.

phunwin
03-06-2006, 10:05 AM

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

I think the best lineup would be this...
Reyes (for now, see below)
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Floyd
LoDuca
Diaz (I think he's a better player than Nady)
Matsui/Boone/Hernandez/Keppinger/Woodward/Backman/Teufel

If Reyes continues in his inability to draw a walk, I would drop him to 7th and put Beltran or LoDuca in the leadoff spot, with the other one second. Getting on base is a leadoff hitter's first job. Stealing bases is a distant second.

I would put Delgado in the 3 hole to separate the two lefties, and because, in any event, Delgado's a better hitter than Wright is anyway (for now). I'd like the best hitter in the lineup hitting 3rd.

phunwin
03-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Is anyone else keeping a very close eye on the Soriano situation? This is becoming a Mexican standoff over his refusal to play the OF. Every day that passes, I become more convinced that they'll have to turn around and move him for 75 cents on the dollar. His defense at 2nd sucks, but the bat more than makes up for it.

Ray Finkle
03-06-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree with you, Reyes scored 99 runs last year with an OBP of .300, just picture how many runs he could score if he learned how to walk.

Come on Met fans, take your pick: Alex Cora or Tony Graffinano? (I also think that Soriano will be a Met by April though).

Rocky Raccoon
03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Wright in the field
http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/Wright_Field.jpg

Wright at the plate
http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/Wright_Batting.JPG

Floyd putting the hurt on
http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/Floyd.jpg

Anderson Hernandez
http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/AHernandez.JPG

Lastings Milledge with the wiff
http://images.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/Milledge.jpg

awesome pics man...thanks! :wink:

Roman529
03-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Mets and Indians are playing on ESPN....Floyd just homered...it is 1-1 in the 2nd inning. Hey when did the Muts get Julio Franco?...isn't he like 50 years old. :D

NJFINSFAN1
03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Mets and Indians are playing on ESPN....Floyd just homered...it is 1-1 in the 2nd inning. Hey when did the Muts get Julio Franco?...isn't he like 50 years old. :D

Yep, they signed him as a free agent.

Finswin56, I think Alomar was the bench coach last year?

finswin56
03-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Yep, they signed him as a free agent.

Finswin56, I think Alomar was the bench coach last year?Sometimes I'm just way out there in left field:o

finswin56
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Is anyone else keeping a very close eye on the Soriano situation? This is becoming a Mexican standoff over his refusal to play the OF. Every day that passes, I become more convinced that they'll have to turn around and move him for 75 cents on the dollar. His defense at 2nd sucks, but the bat more than makes up for it.Can't help but get a little excited about Soriano. I just wish we could move Matsui. I'd take a 6 pack of Kriwin for him at this point. If Matsui was gone, I'd love to see what Anderson Hernandez could do. He's probably still a bit too raw, but that guy impressed the heck of us Saturday. 3 for 4 with a stolen base. I'm pretty sure his one out was a liner to the opposite field.

phunwin
03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I agree with you, Reyes scored 99 runs last year with an OBP of .300, just picture how many runs he could score if he learned how to walk.

Come on Met fans, take your pick: Alex Cora or Tony Graffinano? (I also think that Soriano will be a Met by April though).

I actually wouldn't mind Graffanino. At least he can hit. Cora wouldn't help; if we want a good-field, no-hit player, we'll just stick Anderson Hernandez at 2nd.

Matsui is horrible. Thank God this is the last year of his contract.

finswin56
03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
I actually wouldn't mind Graffanino. At least he can hit. Cora wouldn't help; if we want a good-field, no-hit player, we'll just stick Anderson Hernandez at 2nd.

Matsui is horrible. Thank God this is the last year of his contract.Not that it means a great deal, but he's batting .333 in 21 at bats this spring. After seeing him in person, I'm getting pretty excited about this kid.

NJFINSFAN1
03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Not that it means a great deal, but he's batting .333 in 21 at bats this spring. After seeing him in person, I'm getting pretty excited about this kid.

He is said to have a good stick, but he stunk when called up last year. Good to see him doing well.

DanStillStands
03-10-2006, 11:41 PM
great pics finswin... LETS GO METS!!!

Roman529
03-11-2006, 03:48 AM
I want to make some side bets with you Mets fans when my Phillies play you.....maybe we could bet the loser has to post a Phillies/Mets sig or avatar for a week??? :tongue:

King Felix
03-11-2006, 04:02 AM
i dont talk to much met fans but i was wondering, how do u like reyes? like him alot? little? average?

phunwin
03-11-2006, 08:48 PM
i dont talk to much met fans but i was wondering, how do u like reyes? like him alot? little? average?

If Reyes could learn that taking 4 balls isn't a sin, I'd like him a lot. As it is, he's on track to be a better fielding version of Tony Womack. I hope I'm wrong. Speed without plate patience isn't very helpful, and that's all Reyes is right now.

phunwin
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
He is said to have a good stick, but he stunk when called up last year. Good to see him doing well.

There's enough offense to go around. All our second baseman needs to do is play strong defense. If Hernandez can win the job, whatever he gives us with the stick is a bonus.

Boik14
03-12-2006, 01:14 AM

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

Of course there's a problem with Floyd and Delgado being two lefties back to back. But if I were managing the team that's what I would do, or possibly flip Wright and Delgado. As a Met fan I totally agree. beltran career splits even show he hits about 20-25pts higher in the 2 hole as opposed to the 3 and hes even admitted to pressing to hit Hrs in the 3 slot. There's good and bad points to it though.

If CB hits 3rd it makes the mets lineup deeper. Loduca is great for his k/per AB and so its a good contact guy hitting right behind reyes.
The downside is that Loduca is a slow runner and so this can lead to more DP's than we'd like. In addition, despite Loduca's great K/Ab rate, his OPB and OPS arent that good so for that reason I still like Beltran hitting 2nd.

Boik14
03-12-2006, 01:16 AM
I want to make some side bets with you Mets fans when my Phillies play you.....maybe we could bet the loser has to post a Phillies/Mets sig or avatar for a week??? :tongue: Ill take that! Your gonna lose buddy! :cooldude:

Boik14
03-12-2006, 01:17 AM
If Reyes could learn that taking 4 balls isn't a sin, I'd like him a lot. As it is, he's on track to be a better fielding version of Tony Womack. I hope I'm wrong. Speed without plate patience isn't very helpful, and that's all Reyes is right now.juan pierre was the exact same way when he came up. And Reyes is a hell of a lot more talented than Juan Pierre. We forget hes still a baby and only 21

King Felix
03-12-2006, 03:18 AM
ill make a bet only one game tho. when seattle plays the mets loser has to m's/mets sig or avy. ne takers?

phunwin
03-12-2006, 02:58 PM
juan pierre was the exact same way when he came up. And Reyes is a hell of a lot more talented than Juan Pierre. We forget hes still a baby and only 21

Here's the problem with that:
1. I don't think Pierre is a particularly great example to emulate. He's drawn more than 45 walks in a season exactly once. An ideal leadoff hitter would draw at least 70 per year.
2. Pierre drew 13 walks in 51 games when he came up. That equates to 41 over a full season. That's a pretty good approximation of what he's done since then. Most players don't increase their walk rate much from what they do when they first start out in the bigs.

I think, though I don't know for sure, that Rickey Henderson is working as an instructor with the Mets. If so, Rickey needs to sit down with Reyes and try to help him with his batting eye.

finswin56
03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I think, though I don't know for sure, that Rickey Henderson is working as an instructor with the Mets. If so, Rickey needs to sit down with Reyes and try to help him with his batting eye.I've heard the same thing about Rickey being there. Hopefully Rickey gets through to Reyes.
I like Reyes, but I don't love him yet. Guys that get hamstring injuries scare me. It just seems to be a chronic thing with some of them.

phunwin
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I've heard the same thing about Rickey being there. Hopefully Rickey gets through to Reyes.
I like Reyes, but I don't love him yet. Guys that get hamstring injuries scare me. It just seems to be a chronic thing with some of them.

I'm giving up on Reyes being a walk machine like Henderson, but if they could just get him to take 50 to 60 walks a year, I'd be thrilled. That's going to be tough, though. A guy sees the ball a certain way, and reacts a certain way. It's not something that can physically be tinkered with like a hitch in a swing or a release point for a pitcher. You basically have to get inside his head and condition him differently from how he's been reacting to the baseball for 15 years or so. That's why you very seldom see a guy's walk totals increase greatly from his minor league totals; either he has plate patience or he doesn't. Hopefully, Reyes can be taught some, but I'm skeptical.

I'm not real worried about the hamstrings. He played all year last season, so I'm guessing he's over that. Back injuries concern me much more; those don't go away. Ask any Houston Rockets fan about Tracy McGrady, for example.

Boik14
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Here's the problem with that:
1. I don't think Pierre is a particularly great example to emulate. He's drawn more than 45 walks in a season exactly once. An ideal leadoff hitter would draw at least 70 per year.
2. Pierre drew 13 walks in 51 games when he came up. That equates to 41 over a full season. That's a pretty good approximation of what he's done since then. Most players don't increase their walk rate much from what they do when they first start out in the bigs.

I think, though I don't know for sure, that Rickey Henderson is working as an instructor with the Mets. If so, Rickey needs to sit down with Reyes and try to help him with his batting eye.

- Rickey was invited to spring training to work with reyes.

- Pierre was every bit as undisciplined as Reyes even if the walks dont necessarily reflect it. Pierre was a very free swinger and the main reason Colorado dealt was because they felt he couldnt ever be a productive leadoff hitter. Even if his walk rate hasnt improved, his abilityt o make contact has improved to the point that hes always a league leader in hits, BA and infield hits. The reason I bring that up is because Reyes has the type of speed to make the impact in the hits column but even over the course of last year he improved with his willingness to take pitches. In late may/early june his OBP was hovering around 27% and by seasons end he was at 30%. Not great but at various points it did get as high as 315. Again not great but hes only 21. Cant lose sight of that. Improving your walks comes down to discipline and discipline is smething you can always work to instill if the player is willing. Reyes has never said he wouldnt so there's no reason to think he cant improve his obp.

phunwin
03-13-2006, 09:38 AM
- Rickey was invited to spring training to work with reyes.

- Pierre was every bit as undisciplined as Reyes even if the walks dont necessarily reflect it. Pierre was a very free swinger and the main reason Colorado dealt was because they felt he couldnt ever be a productive leadoff hitter. Even if his walk rate hasnt improved, his abilityt o make contact has improved to the point that hes always a league leader in hits, BA and infield hits. The reason I bring that up is because Reyes has the type of speed to make the impact in the hits column but even over the course of last year he improved with his willingness to take pitches. In late may/early june his OBP was hovering around 27% and by seasons end he was at 30%. Not great but at various points it did get as high as 315. Again not great but hes only 21. Cant lose sight of that. Improving your walks comes down to discipline and discipline is smething you can always work to instill if the player is willing. Reyes has never said he wouldnt so there's no reason to think he cant improve his obp.

To the extent that plate discipline is reflected in an increased ability to be selective with the pitch, that's good news, but it's not Reyes' ability to make contact that I'm worried about, as the Rox were with Pierre. Unless he can hit about .330, with those few walks, he won't be an effective leadoff hitter. The walk rate absolutely must improve, and history tells us that it usually doesn't. Suffice to say, I hope you're right, but I doubt it.

cnc66
03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrggggg

NJFINSFAN1
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrggggg

Not in Jersey!:rolleyes:

cnc66
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
spring training for them is ten miles up the road so we are overloaded with obnoxious NYorkers.

finswin56
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrggggg Good thing I'm a Florida boy. My dad's side of the family has it's roots in north Jersey, so I can deal with the pissy attitude :lol:
When I was down there a few weeks ago, every parking lot attendant seemed to be a retired NY'er. Just about every one of them was a S.O.B.
Marty, maybe you can start a petition to have the Mets spring training moved to Jacksonville? That would make me very happy:D

Boik14
03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrgggggThere's another one (me) on the way hopefully by late 2007. We're everywhere and there's no getting away. First florida gets conquered then the world :lol:

Roman529
03-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Anna Benson was on MSNBC tonight talking with Rita Crosby....Anna is on the cover of Maxim magazine. She looks pretty good but she has a Mrs. Bundy sounding voice (annoying). :lol: You guys still have Kris Benson or did you move him?

Roman529
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Ill take that! Your gonna lose buddy! :cooldude:

You're on. :wink:

Boik14
03-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Anna Benson was on MSNBC tonight talking with Rita Crosby....Anna is on the cover of Maxim magazine. She looks pretty good but she has a Mrs. Bundy sounding voice (annoying). :lol: You guys still have Kris Benson or did you move him? the Bensons were moved for Jorge Julio and AAA SP John Maine. Peterson feels he can groom Julio and his 98mph heater and get him to have better control by fixing his motion and having him take just a little bit off the fastball to gain some more control. Maine is a decent young Sp prospect who is the perfect swingman type who can go back from bullpen to starter back to bullpen if hes needed this year.

Boik14
03-16-2006, 12:54 AM
You're on. :wink: thats cool. Get ready to lose playa :D

Roman529
03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
thats cool. Get ready to lose playa :D

I just got my tickets to see the Phillies play the Colorado Rockies April 14, 15, and 16 at Coors Field. They have centerfield bleacher tickets called the Rock Pile for $4 each....once I get inside the ballpark I move to the expensive seats and buy some Rockies Dogs and some Coors beer. :drinkers: The Phils are gonna sweep the Rocks and be in 1st place by mid-April. :whistle:

Boik14
03-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I just got my tickets to see the Phillies play the Colorado Rockies April 14, 15, and 16 at Coors Field. They have centerfield bleacher tickets called the Rock Pile for $4 each....once I get inside the ballpark I move to the expensive seats and buy some Rockies Dogs and some Coors beer. :drinkers: The Phils are gonna sweep the Rocks and be in 1st place by mid-April. :whistle: thats cool. I got mets opening day tix for the 2nd year in a row. I have tix for: Apr 3rd vs wash, may 21 vs nyy, july 5 vs Pitt, July 24 vs the cubs, August 24 vs the cards, and sept 7 vs LA Dodgers. I wanted to get the tues/sat package but working on long island this year as opposed to a 15 minute subway ride in the city like last year, made it impossible. So i settled for the 6 game package and ill prob end up going to another handful before the year is out. :cooldude:

Rocky Raccoon
03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Brian Bannister has been pitching lights out all spring...has been perfect until he gave up 2 runs yesterday...that's brilliant. He will most likely be sent to the minors, but I hope he gets a chance to pitch for us thos year.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Brian Bannister has been pitching lights out all spring...has been perfect until he gave up 2 runs yesterday...that's brilliant. He will most likely be sent to the minors, but I hope he gets a chance to pitch for us thos year.

I'm sure he'll get his chance before the year is out. Especially with the health of Pedro and of course the Zambrano saga and the age/health of Glavine. What is the Mets rotation? Pedro, Glavine, Zambrano, Heliman and who? am I missing someone?

Now that Kaz Matsui is hurt, do the Met fans want Tony Graffinano playing a little 2nd base for them this year?

phunwin
03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm sure he'll get his chance before the year is out. Especially with the health of Pedro and of course the Zambrano saga and the age/health of Glavine. What is the Mets rotation? Pedro, Glavine, Zambrano, Heliman and who? am I missing someone?

Now that Kaz Matsui is hurt, do the Met fans want Tony Graffinano playing a little 2nd base for them this year?

Steve Trachsel is the guy you were forgetting. And yes, I think we'll see Bannister or John Maine in the rotation at some point. Too much age to seriously believe everyone will make 30+ starts.

I wanted Graffanino playing 2nd even before Matsui got hurt; not because Graffanino is any great shakes, but Matsui sucks so badly it's not funny. If the Red Sox would part with him on the cheap, great, but I wouldn't give up much for him. In the interim, I would like to see Jeff Keppinger get a shot there. He's played well enough this spring to earn it.

Ray Finkle
03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Steve Trachsel is the guy you were forgetting. And yes, I think we'll see Bannister or John Maine in the rotation at some point. Too much age to seriously believe everyone will make 30+ starts.

I wanted Graffanino playing 2nd even before Matsui got hurt; not because Graffanino is any great shakes, but Matsui sucks so badly it's not funny. If the Red Sox would part with him on the cheap, great, but I wouldn't give up much for him. In the interim, I would like to see Jeff Keppinger get a shot there. He's played well enough this spring to earn it.

Wow I can't believe I forgot about Trachsel.

Anyway I still think Soriano is going to be a Met by April 1st. The question is will Omar give up Milledge for him. Soriano isn't going to come cheap and he is a big liability in my opinion. Tony G is a very good utility guy and I hope the Sox keep him around because he was very good for them down the strench. I don't think the Sox would get a lot of value for him as some of the rumors are getting guys like Luis Matos back for him.

I read that Keppinger is really mad at the Mets right now. I heard that no one (F.O. or coaches) have really talked to him and explained his role with the team. He is having a nice spring and let's face it anyone in the MLB will probably hit better and play better D than Kaz.

NJFINSFAN1
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Anderson Hernandez will be our second basemen. And he will be for the rest of the year, mark my words. Good fielder, very fast, and he will hit enough.

Boik14
03-21-2006, 12:53 AM

Anyway I still think Soriano is going to be a Met by April 1st. The question is will Omar give up Milledge for him. Soriano isn't going to come cheap and he is a big liability in my opinion. Tony G is a very good utility guy and I hope the Sox keep him around because he was very good for them down the strench. I don't think the Sox would get a lot of value for him as some of the rumors are getting guys like Luis Matos back for him.

I read that Keppinger is really mad at the Mets right now. I heard that no one (F.O. or coaches) have really talked to him and explained his role with the team. He is having a nice spring and let's face it anyone in the MLB will probably hit better and play better D than Kaz. I hope to God that Sori isnt a met. His splits away from Arlington the last 2 years are downright UGLY! Hes a 230-240 hitter away from that park and now he wont even get half his games there.

finswin56
03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Anderson Hernandez will be our second basemen. And he will be for the rest of the year, mark my words. Good fielder, very fast, and he will hit enough.:D

NJFINSFAN1
03-21-2006, 09:05 AM
:D

He won the game the other night with his feet. He singled, stole second, and scored on an error. I have been very impressed with him this year. It seems to have clicked for him.

NJFINSFAN1
03-21-2006, 09:08 AM

I read that Keppinger is really mad at the Mets right now. I heard that no one (F.O. or coaches) have really talked to him and explained his role with the team. He is having a nice spring and let's face it anyone in the MLB will probably hit better and play better D than Kaz.

After yesterday, Soriano may be back in the DR growing coconuts! I have my son dying to win the starting OF job on his high school team, and this jerk does not go out into the field! His teamates should take him out behind the woodshed and beat the living daylights out of him!

DanStillStands
03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Does anyone in the NY/NJ area have SNY yet? I just switched over to directv two months ago so i can get the nfl ticket this coming football season. Now i can not get SNY. I have called and emailed directv and they just say they are working on a deal. I hope they get it done by opening day since just about all the mets games are on that channel this year.

Ray Finkle
03-21-2006, 12:24 PM
After yesterday, Soriano may be back in the DR growing coconuts! I have my son dying to win the starting OF job on his high school team, and this jerk does not go out into the field! His teamates should take him out behind the woodshed and beat the living daylights out of him!

Hey I couldn't agree with you more, I can't stand ball players like that. Personally I think the Mets would be better off without Soriano on their team. Plus I think he's a tad bit overrated.

finswin56
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Does anyone in the NY/NJ area have SNY yet? I just switched over to directv two months ago so i can get the nfl ticket this coming football season. Now i can not get SNY. I have called and emailed directv and they just say they are working on a deal. I hope they get it done by opening day since just about all the mets games are on that channel this year.Keep us updated. I've got DTV also, and I'd love to watch Mets games w/o buying that package. I still miss WWOR

Rocky Raccoon
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Does anyone in the NY/NJ area have SNY yet? I just switched over to directv two months ago so i can get the nfl ticket this coming football season. Now i can not get SNY. I have called and emailed directv and they just say they are working on a deal. I hope they get it done by opening day since just about all the mets games are on that channel this year.

I have Comcast and they have SNY...word is they will most likely strike a deal with DirecTV and Cablevision before opening day

MikeO
03-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I have Comcast and they have SNY...word is they will most likely strike a deal with DirecTV and Cablevision before opening day

Comcast and Time Warner are part owners of the station, so all comcast and TW cable companies will have it.

Expect both directv and dish network along with cablevision to have it by OPENING DAY. After the whole "YES NETWORK" fiasco all parties involved in this want no big fight

NJFINSFAN1
03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
I have to check.

NJFINSFAN1
03-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Didn't see it on Directv, and I have all the sports channels.

Here is a story about cablevision being difficult from todays local paper.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTQmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MDEwODcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

DanStillStands
03-21-2006, 11:28 PM

I have heard they would have a deal by opening day. I just hope it happens!!

MikeO
03-22-2006, 12:46 AM
the station will be on DIRECTV by opening day from reports so...

phunwin
03-22-2006, 01:10 PM
I read that they already had a deal with DTV. But I guess not.

NJFINSFAN1
03-22-2006, 03:18 PM
I read that they already had a deal with DTV. But I guess not.

I don't see it. If anyone has any idea what channel on Directv, let me know.

Roman529
03-22-2006, 03:36 PM
How much is the Baseball ticket on DirecTV?....I gotta see my Phillies win the NL EAST.

:spot: :whistle: :nana: :yes:

Rocky Raccoon
03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
How much is the Baseball ticket on DirecTV?....I gotta see my Phillies win the NL EAST.

http://www.directvsports.com/Subscriptions/MLBExtraInnings/

cheaper than I thought...you get a discount if you order before opening day.

Decent money to watch losers. :wink:

NJFINSFAN1
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM

Save your money, you will be better off for it!:rolleyes:

phunwin
03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Soriano has mended fences and agreed to play LF for the Nats. I'm surprised he caved; I figured he was trying to force a trade. Credit to Jim Bowden for sticking to his guns.

Now he's just got to deal with Soriano's lousy park splits, the fact that he's one Jose Vidro injury away from pissing and moaning about going back to second, the fact that Soriano hasn't played an inning in the outfield in his life and now the season's a week away, and the fact that if you move him off second, his relative offensive value plummets. Good work, Jimbo!

I should note that I'm less concerned about the park splits, since players who play in an extreme hitters park at home usually end up suffering on the road, for some bizarre reason.

DanStillStands
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Keep us updated. I've got DTV also, and I'd love to watch Mets games w/o buying that package. I still miss WWOR

This is a email i got from DirecTV about SNY...

"Thanks for writing. At this time, we are still in negotiations with the network and we hope to be adding it to our programming lineup soon.

Thanks again for writing and check back at DIRECTV.com this spring for the latest news about SportsNet New York on DIRECTV. "

Sincerely,

Leslie D
DIRECTV Customer Service

finswin56
03-22-2006, 09:39 PM
This is a email i got from DirecTV about SNY...

"Thanks for writing. At this time, we are still in negotiations with the network and we hope to be adding it to our programming lineup soon.

Thanks again for writing and check back at DIRECTV.com this spring for the latest news about SportsNet New York on DIRECTV. "

Sincerely,

Leslie D
DIRECTV Customer ServiceThanks! Hoepfully progress will be made soon.

PressCoverage
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm gonna predict 20, maybe 25 starts for pedro:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nym) ace Pedro Martinez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4875) expects to miss Opening Day because of a nagging toe injury.
Pedro Martinez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4875)http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/4875-1.jpgStarting Pitcher
New York Mets

Profile (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4875)2005 SEASON STATISTICSGMWLBBKERA31158472082.82
The three-time Cy Young Award winner has not pitched in a spring training game yet because of a sore right big toe and doesn't think he will be ready to start the season opener April 3 against the Washington Nationals (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=was) at Shea Stadium.
"Unless I can work some magic, I don't think I'll have enough time," Martinez said Wednesday. "I need at least two outings. You're not going to throw me two innings in a game and expect me to go on Opening Day.

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
nice start for Pedro :clap:

Roman529
03-27-2006, 02:34 AM
nice start for Pedro :clap:

At least he is not in jail being accused of murdering people back home like Ugeuth Urbina of my Phillies. :boohoo:

Rocky Raccoon
03-27-2006, 02:45 AM
At least he is not in jail being accused of murdering people back home like Ugeuth Urbina of my Phillies. :boohoo:

:chuckle:

PressCoverage
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
now they're saying he'll be ready.... Still... 25 starts, tops...

phunwin
03-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Daily News says Brian Bannister will probably be the #5 starter and move Heilman to the bullpen again. The Mets probably figure that with a fairly old rotation, they'd better have a strong pen. With Wagner, Heilman, Sanchez, Julio, Bradford, and Ring/Feliciano, they should be in good shape.

Roman529
03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey you guys I am thinking of starting an Official Philadelphia Phillies thread.
It is going to be popular and in-depth. Expert analysis of the best team in the National League East!!!!!!! Your thoughts???

NJFINSFAN1
03-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey you guys I am thinking of starting an Official Philadelphia Phillies thread.
It is going to be popular and in-depth. Expert analysis of the best team in the National League East!!!!!!! Your thoughts???

Your going to be talking about the Mets in a Phillie thread?:wink:

phunwin
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Uh, go ahead. It's a free country.

I guess the Mets weren't too interested in Tony Graffanino after all: the Royals just grabbed him off waivers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2387557). One assumes the Red Sox would have taken a C-level prospect in exchange rather than waive him, and we wouldn't even part with that. I'm not exactly thrilled by that; Graffanino is a quality offensive second baseman who could have filled the last real hole in our lineup.

Rocky Raccoon
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM

I think the thread will die down by the third week of the season...just like the Phillies :chuckle:

Roman529
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
One more week until baseball. :tongue: I might drive up to Coors Field to watch the Rockies....hopefully they won't finish last again in the NL West. :rolleyes:

Rocky Raccoon
03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
One more week until baseball. :tongue: I might drive up to Coors Field to watch the Rockies....hopefully they won't finish last again in the NL West. :rolleyes:

how is that stadium?

NJFINSFAN1
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Where is Coors field in terms of the airport?

Roman529
03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
how is that stadium?

Coors Field is really nice. I think they built it in 1995?, after playing the first couple years at Mile High....they had 80,000 people to watch the first Rockies game at Mile High....Eric Young hit a homer in his first at bat I believe? Ohhh and as far as the distance from the airport...it is pretty far....all the stadiums in Denver are in downtown....the Pepsi Center, Coors Field and Invesco Stadium are all within about a 2-3 mile walk. They built DIA about 15 miles east of town out in the boonies.

phunwin
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Coors Field. I've got a lifetime goal of seeing a game in every team's home park.

phunwin
03-29-2006, 09:25 AM
It's official (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/29/sports/baseball/29mets.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin): Bannister is the fifth starter, Heilman to the bullpen. I think it's a good move for now; Heilman's still working out the slider with his new delivery, so he's primarily a fastball-changeup pitcher, which suits him better to the pen. Next year, I'd look for him in the rotation.

I'm also hoping John Maine gets the call if/when one of the starters goes down.

Finally, it looks like Pedro Feliciano will be the only setup lefty in the 'pen. (Obviously, Wagner is lefthanded, but will be closing.) Royce Ring and Juan Perez were assigned to the minors.

phunwin
03-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Other news: Xavier Nady's up and down spring appears to be paving the way for Victor Diaz to make the team. Fine by me; I think Diaz is the better player.

I will say that I'm sort of rueing the Cameron-Nady trade right now. It wouldn't happen, of course, but I think Cameron would have been a great Plan B for the leadoff spot if/when Jose Reyes shows he still has only a vague idea of the boundaries of the strike zone. Cameron has speed and usually posts an OBP in the 340-350 range. Not ideal, but a lot better than Reyes's OBP.

NJFINSFAN1
03-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Other news: Xavier Nady's up and down spring appears to be paving the way for Victor Diaz to make the team. Fine by me; I think Diaz is the better player.

I will say that I'm sort of rueing the Cameron-Nady trade right now. It wouldn't happen, of course, but I think Cameron would have been a great Plan B for the leadoff spot if/when Jose Reyes shows he still has only a vague idea of the boundaries of the strike zone. Cameron has speed and usually posts an OBP in the 340-350 range. Not ideal, but a lot better than Reyes's OBP.

Did you see who played RF yesterday for the first time ever???
Lasting, and he will play all three OF spots at AAA.

I bet we see him in RF this year at some point.

Rocky Raccoon
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM

whos the opening day starter in RF, Nady or Diaz? I haven't heard anything about that.

NJFINSFAN1
03-29-2006, 03:55 PM
whos the opening day starter in RF, Nady or Diaz? I haven't heard anything about that.

Nady

Ray Finkle
03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Coors Field. I've got a lifetime goal of seeing a game in every team's home park.

Ditto for me too, which ones have you seen so far?

Boik14
03-30-2006, 01:37 AM
It's official (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/29/sports/baseball/29mets.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin): Bannister is the fifth starter, Heilman to the bullpen. I think it's a good move for now; Heilman's still working out the slider with his new delivery, so he's primarily a fastball-changeup pitcher, which suits him better to the pen. Next year, I'd look for him in the rotation.

I'm also hoping John Maine gets the call if/when one of the starters goes down.

Finally, it looks like Pedro Feliciano will be the only setup lefty in the 'pen. (Obviously, Wagner is lefthanded, but will be closing.) Royce Ring and Juan Perez were assigned to the minors.forget Maine...Pelfrey looked further along then Maine. I give Pelfrey a year tops before hes in the majors. That dude has S-T-U-D written all over his 96mph fastball and 4 pitch repatoire.

Boik14
03-30-2006, 01:42 AM

I will say that I'm sort of rueing the Cameron-Nady trade right now. It wouldn't happen, of course, but I think Cameron would have been a great Plan B for the leadoff spot if/when Jose Reyes shows he still has only a vague idea of the boundaries of the strike zone. Cameron has speed and usually posts an OBP in the 340-350 range. Not ideal, but a lot better than Reyes's OBP.Cameron is trash. Hes a good team guy but hes the least clutch player in the history of mankind. When he had his strong year ago his stats after the 7th inning were disasterous and he was coming back to earth last year before the injury ended his year. Nady should be the everyday RF on the basis of the fact Diaz is a fat lazy bum bum with Manny like potential but the work ethic of a nothing. Everyone knows it too, thats the annoying part.

Reyes should stay in the leadoff spot regardless. He has to learn to hit there (or more accurately understand what it takes in that slot) and the only way he will do so is with more experience. Its not a sthough he doesnt listen. Learning from the greatest leadoff hitter of all time in camp cant hurt.

Boik14
03-30-2006, 02:29 AM
It is going to be popular and in-depth. Expert analysis of the best team in the National League East!!!!!!! Your thoughts??? Imo the Phils are the 2nd best team in the NL east with the only question being whether the mets are 1st or 3rd and their own sp will determine that cause the NYM are only going as far as their front 5 will take them. The phillies are solid but they took a hit at CL and their Sp isnt really that great after myers and Leiber. Wolf is a huge ? and Tejada still needs work. The thing that can propel the phillies is their bats are strong and their pen is strong. Sp's lack of depth and inability to consistantly work deep in to games is what will hold them back again. Of course a good deal or 2 for a SP can put them in a position where they can be prime contenders.

In the end I expect the NL East to shake down like this:
1. Mets - 96-66 - Because I really think theyre that good. They won 83 games last year with no 1B (dead last in production there and OPS), a difficult situation at catcher with a fading star who happens to be the best position player in Mets history and likely the 1st HOF position player to go in with a Mets uniform if he has his way, a star CF who slumped badly and tried to hard to impress while getting acclimated to NY, 2 very young players on the left side of the infield, and injury to non clutch cameron which hurt the overall D, a crumby 2B, a leaky pen aside from Heilman, and a rookie manager. Now the questions are down to SP and 2B. They'll win because all their Sp's will get to 200 innings except maybe Bannister and because Anderson hernandez should provide defense at the very least and with the improved lineup thats all they really need from 2B. Delgado alone is worth about 100 runs to the lineup and Beltran in the 2 hole (which is very very likely) is the difference between a 290 hitter and a 270 hitter (3-hole based on career splits).
2. Phillies - 90-72 - WC contender
3. Atlanta - 87-75
4. Nats - 80-82
5. Marlins - 60-102 - This is being kind. they'll win when Dontrelle pitches and they'll get lucky a few other times.

phunwin
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM

So far: Shea, Fenway, Stade Olympique, Comerica, Wrigley, Qualcomm/Jack Murphy, and Busch. Wrigley was the best of the bunch to watch a game, and I don't think it's particularly close. Just an awesome place for baseball.

My favorite part about Wrigley though, was when my friend Nathan, who is as white as white can be, and was a bit on the chubby side, sat in the bleachers one day and took his shirt off and got a nice case of sunburn. The next day, he got up and was wandering around the house in his blue Cubs shorts without a shirt on. His pudge had manifested itself in some rolls, such that he had red and white stripes across his chest. Add in the blue shorts, and we started singing the Star Spangled Banner to him.

phunwin
03-30-2006, 10:59 AM
forget Maine...Pelfrey looked further along then Maine. I give Pelfrey a year tops before hes in the majors. That dude has S-T-U-D written all over his 96mph fastball and 4 pitch repatoire.

Pelfrey should be awesome; I liked Maine, too, though. I think he could be the steal of the Benson-Julio swap.

Reyes should stay in the leadoff spot regardless. He has to learn to hit there (or more accurately understand what it takes in that slot) and the only way he will do so is with more experience. Its not a sthough he doesnt listen. Learning from the greatest leadoff hitter of all time in camp cant hurt.

See, I disagree with this. It's not a matter of "learning how to hit leadoff". It's just a matter of drawing more walks. Now, if hitting leadoff makes him understand the need not to swing at everything, wonderful. I know he listens and is a student of the game, but it's very difficult for a guy to suddenly switch from an impatient hitter to a patient one. It's a lot more difficult than fixing a bad swing or hitting for more power.

Ray Finkle
03-30-2006, 02:06 PM
So far: Shea, Fenway, Stade Olympique, Comerica, Wrigley, Qualcomm/Jack Murphy, and Busch. Wrigley was the best of the bunch to watch a game, and I don't think it's particularly close. Just an awesome place for baseball.

My favorite part about Wrigley though, was when my friend Nathan, who is as white as white can be, and was a bit on the chubby side, sat in the bleachers one day and took his shirt off and got a nice case of sunburn. The next day, he got up and was wandering around the house in his blue Cubs shorts without a shirt on. His pudge had manifested itself in some rolls, such that he had red and white stripes across his chest. Add in the blue shorts, and we started singing the Star Spangled Banner to him.

:lol: Funny story.

I've been to Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Shea, Wrigley Field, Tropicana Field, Dodger Stadium, Oakland's Field (I think it's called MacFee Field now), and Angel Stadium. The next stadiums I'd like to go to would be Minute Maid Park, Jacobs Field and Camden Yards. I also want to see Petco, Balco (I mean PacBell) and Safeco Field.

My personal favorites are Fenway and Wrigley. I just love the older ball parks and the environment there. I usually go to Wrigley Field twice a year.

I also love Yankee Stadium because of all the history and great players that have played there. Eventhough I hate the team I respect their rich history.

My least favorite park was Tropicana Field. I just hate Dome stadiums, it takes away from the game in my opinion.

Nappy Roots
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM

:yeahthat:

so far ive been to

Tropicana Field (Rays)
Turner Field
Fenway Park

Rocky Raccoon
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM

I've been to Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Shea, Wrigley Field, Tropicana Field, Dodger Stadium, Oakland's Field (I think it's called MacFee Field now), and Angel Stadium. The next stadiums I'd like to go to would be Minute Maid Park, Jacobs Field and Camden Yards. I also want to see Petco, Balco (I mean PacBell) and Safeco Field.

My personal favorites are Fenway and Wrigley. I just love the older ball parks and the environment there. I usually go to Wrigley Field twice a year.

I also love Yankee Stadium because of all the history and great players that have played there. Eventhough I hate the team I respect their rich history.

My least favorite park was Tropicana Field. I just hate Dome stadiums, it takes away from the game in my opinion.

I've been to Jacobs Field and Camden Yards and man they are both absolutely beautiful ballparks. Camden Yards is the better of the two, but both are fantastic. You'll have a good time at both.

finswin56
03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been to:
Tropicana
Joe Robbie (duh)
Wrigley (aka Heaven)
Old Cleveland (what a dump)
Old Comisky

That's the downside to living in Florida.

Nappy Roots
03-30-2006, 06:46 PM
yall heard this rumor?

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=2239575&postcount=51

Boik14
03-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Pelfrey should be awesome; I liked Maine, too, though. I think he could be the steal of the Benson-Julio swap.

See, I disagree with this. It's not a matter of "learning how to hit leadoff". It's just a matter of drawing more walks. Now, if hitting leadoff makes him understand the need not to swing at everything, wonderful. I know he listens and is a student of the game, but it's very difficult for a guy to suddenly switch from an impatient hitter to a patient one. It's a lot more difficult than fixing a bad swing or hitting for more power.Reyes: He improved last season throughout the year; even though the OBP went from awful to nothing special its still improvement. By all accounts (todays ny daily news baseball preview mentioned this as well) Reyes has looked great this spring and is listening to Henderson. Whether that means his OBp will suddenly jump from 300 to 380 im not saying all that. what Ive read in the paper and Metsblog among other sites is that reyes is working deeper in to counts and while hes still a work in progress strides are being made. My big thing is the only way for a 21 or 22 year old kid to keep improving is to learn from mistakes and to do that he he has to keep being coached up and stay in the slot in the batting order where what hes being taught most applies.

another thing mentioned in the baseball preview is that the Mets brass loves Pelfrey and will not hesistate to call him up if they need him. Its looking like we'll see him by next season at the latest which truly excites me. we havent had a true stud homegrown SP since Doc.

Boik14
03-31-2006, 12:56 AM
yall heard this rumor?

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=2239575&postcount=51Heilman to TB has been rumored since prior to the deadline last year. I dont like it from an NYM perspective. We already lack SP depth and have Trax, Zambrano, and Glavine all FA next year (though Zam may have arbitration for 1 more year, not sure). Therefore we will need arms to take those slots. It would greatly benefit the Mets to go with their kids to keep the roster cost effective (somewhat anyway). Heilman, Pelfrey and a single FA fit perfectly.

Plus what does Lugo really bring that Anderson Hernandez potentially couldnt? lugo is a more sure thing but Heilman lends a lot of versitility in that he can work 7 innings as a starter or pitch 65 games a year as a reliever. The mets also have Keppinger who at the very least will hit. Chris Woodward could win that slot as well if given an oportunity and none are that much worse options than lugo that it substantiates weakening the pitching.

Plus heilman is coming off a 2nd half in which he led the majors with a .68 era and is working on a 3rd pitch. Think about that. hes very good with 2 pitches...with 3? Hes also not Fa eligible for another 3-4 years. Heilman one of the last guys Id deal.

Boik14
03-31-2006, 01:10 AM

My least favorite park was Tropicana Field. I just hate Dome stadiums, it takes away from the game in my opinion. ive been to Fenway, Shea, Yankee stadium, Jacobs, Turner, skydome, Busch, Camden and whatever the heck theyre calling the Phillies field these days. I thought there were good things about each park.

Fenway was actually the first park I ever went to...during the 86 world series (game 3). I can still see Oil can Boyd's reaction after Lenny Dykstra led off with a HR and then Danny Heep had his 2 run single. How can that not be one of my fondest baseball memories? :cooldude: Ive also been to Fenway for a few NYY games, mainly to experience that rivalry from the Sox side of things. Still a great stadium with a lot of tradition + the Pesky pole in RF.

I guess if I had a least favorite it would be Camden. Sure the stadium is nice but the environment isnt hardcore baseball. For whatever reason the northeast and midwest seem to be most crazy when it comes to baseball. Maybe it was just the 2 games I was at but Camden disappointed me maybe because Id heard so much about it and had high expectations

I liked the Phillies park; youre right on top of it and even in the upper deck you can see just fine without binoculars (and this is coming from someone who doesnt have great vision when it comes to long distances).

Roman529
03-31-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm watching the Cardinals beating the Mets 9-2 in the 9th inning. :eek:

final score....9-6...nice comeback.

DanStillStands
04-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Keep us updated. I've got DTV also, and I'd love to watch Mets games w/o buying that package. I still miss WWOR

I just put on channel 625 on DirecTV and it says upcoming nationals@mets. I guess this is a good sign that a deal is done with SNY. i am guessing The channel is just not turned on yet??

phunwin
04-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I just put on channel 625 on DirecTV and it says upcoming nationals@mets. I guess this is a good sign that a deal is done with SNY. i am guessing The channel is just not turned on yet??

What does the caption for the channel say? I know the game's also listed on ESPN, and 625 could be one of the many ESPN offshoot channels.

phunwin
04-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Heilman to TB has been rumored since prior to the deadline last year. I dont like it from an NYM perspective. We already lack SP depth and have Trax, Zambrano, and Glavine all FA next year (though Zam may have arbitration for 1 more year, not sure). Therefore we will need arms to take those slots. It would greatly benefit the Mets to go with their kids to keep the roster cost effective (somewhat anyway). Heilman, Pelfrey and a single FA fit perfectly.

Plus what does Lugo really bring that Anderson Hernandez potentially couldnt? lugo is a more sure thing but Heilman lends a lot of versitility in that he can work 7 innings as a starter or pitch 65 games a year as a reliever. The mets also have Keppinger who at the very least will hit. Chris Woodward could win that slot as well if given an oportunity and none are that much worse options than lugo that it substantiates weakening the pitching.

Plus heilman is coming off a 2nd half in which he led the majors with a .68 era and is working on a 3rd pitch. Think about that. hes very good with 2 pitches...with 3? Hes also not Fa eligible for another 3-4 years. Heilman one of the last guys Id deal.

I completely agree. Lugo's a nice player and all, but the Mets are going to need a deep bullpen with their aging rotation. I know Heilman would like to be dealt to a place where he can start, but as noted, he's got no leverage. We've got enough potential options at 2B that someone should emerge as at least a competent player, if not a star. I would not trade Heilman for Lugo, or for that matter, any deal that didn't net a star player in return. I would, for example, deal him as part of a move to get Manny Ramirez.

phunwin
04-01-2006, 07:54 AM

I forgot Skydome, I've been there too.

I'm upset that I didn't get to see old Tiger Stadium. I've been to Detroit a couple times and never took the time to go, so I'm a bit disappointed by that. Every summer, I keep working to put together a Midwestern baseball roadtrip to cross Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Cincy off my list. I've heard all those stadiums are wonderful; I've been by PNC Park, and it looks very impressive. Sometime soon, I'll do that.

I also feel I should go back to Fenway again; my first experience there was terrible. It was about 110 degrees in the shade, the hot dogs were soggy, the game was terrible, the seats were lousy and my mom just about had heat stroke. I feel I owe the place another shot.

phunwin
04-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Reyes: He improved last season throughout the year; even though the OBP went from awful to nothing special its still improvement. By all accounts (todays ny daily news baseball preview mentioned this as well) Reyes has looked great this spring and is listening to Henderson. Whether that means his OBp will suddenly jump from 300 to 380 im not saying all that. what Ive read in the paper and Metsblog among other sites is that reyes is working deeper in to counts and while hes still a work in progress strides are being made. My big thing is the only way for a 21 or 22 year old kid to keep improving is to learn from mistakes and to do that he he has to keep being coached up and stay in the slot in the batting order where what hes being taught most applies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=7066&type=batting&year=2005

Reyes did improve his plate patience as the year went on, but most of that improvement was simply rebounding from April, when he drew 0 walks for the month. He drew 8 walks in May, 2 in June, 5 each in July and August, then 7 in September. Only in May and July did he post OBPs that weren't cover-your-eyes bad (.325 and .355, respectively); every other month was .302 or worse.

I'm glad strides are being made, because he's obviously got far to go. I tend not to put too much stock in spring training stories; they're almost invariably intended to convey optimism. EVERYONE looks good in spring training.

If he comes out of the chute and starts working counts deeper, and draws a walk more than once a week, I'll start to believe. Right now, I'm a skeptic. There's scant evidence to show that plate patience can be dramatically improved. If Reyes gets his up to a respectable level, say 340 or above, I'll happily eat my words. But right now, he looks like Tony Womack with a good glove.

Ray Finkle
04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I forgot Skydome, I've been there too.

I'm upset that I didn't get to see old Tiger Stadium. I've been to Detroit a couple times and never took the time to go, so I'm a bit disappointed by that. Every summer, I keep working to put together a Midwestern baseball roadtrip to cross Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Cincy off my list. I've heard all those stadiums are wonderful; I've been by PNC Park, and it looks very impressive. Sometime soon, I'll do that.

I also feel I should go back to Fenway again; my first experience there was terrible. It was about 110 degrees in the shade, the hot dogs were soggy, the game was terrible, the seats were lousy and my mom just about had heat stroke. I feel I owe the place another shot.

When did you go to Fenway? If you haven't gone since 2004 you'd be shocked at how different and nicer it looks. I say that there are a bunch of faults with Fenway. Because it is such an old stadium (build in 1912) you don't have a lot of room in your seats or rows and also depending on where you sit your view couldn't be blocked by giant poles. I went to opening day in 2004 and sat in right field and couldn't see the catcher or home plate ump. Not really a big deal considering I was lucky to go to the game but it was annoying because you couldn't see if the pitch was a ball or strike if the batter didn't swing. The parking around Fenway is horrible and it is now impossible to get tickets (thanks bandwagon Sox fans). So if you're lucky enough to get tickets to go see a game I'd give it another shot.

NJFINSFAN1
04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm going to be very ticked if Directv does not show the game on monday!!!

finswin56
04-01-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm going to be very ticked if Directv does not show the game on monday!!!I'm pretty sure it's on ESPN. I also believe during the first week (at least the first day) of the season, the MLB package is free.

Boik14
04-02-2006, 03:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=7066&type=batting&year=2005

There's scant evidence to show that plate patience can be dramatically improved. Juan Pierre.

phunwin
04-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Juan Pierre.

One player does not constitute significant evidence. But even if it did, that player would certainly not be Juan Pierre.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/juan-pierre.shtml

2001 - 617 AB, 41 BB - 6.2% walk rate
2002 - 592 AB, 31 BB - 5.0%
2003 - 668 AB, 55 BB - 7.6%
2004 - 678 AB, 45 BB - 6.2%
2005 - 656 AB, 41 BB - 5.9%

6.2% for his career since becoming a full-time player. That's exactly what he had in his first year as a full-timer. (Incidentally, in his first year, Pierre had a 6.1% walk rate for the 213 plate appearances he posted. I didn't count that as part of the metric because I thought it might be unfair to him, but it's essentially neutral in the final calculation.)

"But what about his minor league numbers," you ask? Pierre's walk rate for his 1395 minor league plate appearances was actually 6.5%. I don't have his high school and college numbers handy, but I think we can pretty accurately say that, as plate patience goes, Pierre's the same as he was coming out of the Univ. of South Alabama.

That's not to say a player can't progress as a hitter, because he obviously has. I'm sure he's got a better feel for what pitches he can hit, but in terms of drawing walks, most guys will remain the same.

Here's the thing about Reyes, though, and I don't think anyone's brought this up before. I never looked up his minor league stats until now. (But then, neither did you, so my mea culpa only goes so far. ;)) In the minors, Reyes drew 83 walks in 979 plate appearances, for a very respectable 8.5% walk rate. In the bigs, he's drawn 45 walks in 1235 plate appearances for a tragic 3.6% walk rate. That's a tremendous decline. If it's out of character for a player to dramatically improve his walk rate, it's similarly out of character for it to drop off so greatly.

There *IS* hope for him becoming a more patient hitter after all.

phunwin
04-02-2006, 10:58 AM
When did you go to Fenway? If you haven't gone since 2004 you'd be shocked at how different and nicer it looks. I say that there are a bunch of faults with Fenway. Because it is such an old stadium (build in 1912) you don't have a lot of room in your seats or rows and also depending on where you sit your view couldn't be blocked by giant poles. I went to opening day in 2004 and sat in right field and couldn't see the catcher or home plate ump. Not really a big deal considering I was lucky to go to the game but it was annoying because you couldn't see if the pitch was a ball or strike if the batter didn't swing. The parking around Fenway is horrible and it is now impossible to get tickets (thanks bandwagon Sox fans). So if you're lucky enough to get tickets to go see a game I'd give it another shot.

It was quite a while ago. Well before 2004, for sure. I'll definitely have to give it another chance if the opportunity arises.

Ray Finkle
04-02-2006, 07:40 PM
It was quite a while ago. Well before 2004, for sure. I'll definitely have to give it another chance if the opportunity arises.

Too bad I couldn't get Red Sox/Mets tickets this year. It would have been fun talking baseball with you at Fenway while watching Pedro and Schilling pitch against each other.

Boik14
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
One player does not constitute significant evidence. But even if it did, that player would certainly not be Juan Pierre.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/juan-pierre.shtml

2001 - 617 AB, 41 BB - 6.2% walk rate
2002 - 592 AB, 31 BB - 5.0%
2003 - 668 AB, 55 BB - 7.6%
2004 - 678 AB, 45 BB - 6.2%
2005 - 656 AB, 41 BB - 5.9%

6.2% for his career since becoming a full-time player. That's exactly what he had in his first year as a full-timer. (Incidentally, in his first year, Pierre had a 6.1% walk rate for the 213 plate appearances he posted. I didn't count that as part of the metric because I thought it might be unfair to him, but it's essentially neutral in the final calculation.)

"But what about his minor league numbers," you ask? Pierre's walk rate for his 1395 minor league plate appearances was actually 6.5%. I don't have his high school and college numbers handy, but I think we can pretty accurately say that, as plate patience goes, Pierre's the same as he was coming out of the Univ. of South Alabama.

That's not to say a player can't progress as a hitter, because he obviously has. I'm sure he's got a better feel for what pitches he can hit, but in terms of drawing walks, most guys will remain the same.

Here's the thing about Reyes, though, and I don't think anyone's brought this up before. I never looked up his minor league stats until now. (But then, neither did you, so my mea culpa only goes so far. ;)) In the minors, Reyes drew 83 walks in 979 plate appearances, for a very respectable 8.5% walk rate. In the bigs, he's drawn 45 walks in 1235 plate appearances for a tragic 3.6% walk rate. That's a tremendous decline. If it's out of character for a player to dramatically improve his walk rate, it's similarly out of character for it to drop off so greatly.

There *IS* hope for him becoming a more patient hitter after all.****, I dont why he jumped to mind last night. Ahhhh wait its coming back to me...it was the alcohol. Ah well. Im sure I could dig up an example. if I persisted but alas, I dont think its worth it. Just because its not a common thing doesnt mean it cannot be done. Reyes has the aptitude to do it and so we shall find out tomarrow....and I shall be at shea to see it first hand.

Batting Practice starts around 1030-11ish...Pregame at 945...AM :)
Should be a fun day off of work for me.

finswin56
04-03-2006, 08:01 AM
****, I dont why he jumped to mind last night. Ahhhh wait its coming back to me...it was the alcohol. Ah well. Im sure I could dig up an example. if I persisted but alas, I dont think its worth it. Just because its not a common thing doesnt mean it cannot be done. Reyes has the aptitude to do it and so we shall find out tomarrow....and I shall be at shea to see it first hand.

Batting Practice starts around 1030-11ish...Pregame at 945...AM :)
Should be a fun day off of work for me.lucky *******

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 08:02 AM
lucky *******

Going to be low 50's and rain!!! YUCK!

Sunny right now although!:wink:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Getting mighty dark up here, game could be in trouble today.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Getting mighty dark up here, game could be in trouble today.

one more hour!!!

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
one more hour!!!

Been raining pretty steady here!

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Been raining pretty steady here!

no rain right now at Shea! about 20 or so minutes!

phunwin
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I wrote ESPN to see if they'd actually be broadcasting the game here. No word yet. How's everyone else faring?

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I wrote ESPN to see if they'd actually be broadcasting the game here. No word yet. How's everyone else faring?

im watching on Comcast right now, SNY. Introducing the team right now.

phunwin
04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
im watching on Comcast right now, SNY. Introducing the team right now.

Do me a solid: flip over to ESPN and see if they're broadcasting as well.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Do me a solid: flip over to ESPN and see if they're broadcasting as well.

once it hits 1:00, I'll check for ya

Roman529
04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
ESPN said Glavine and the Mets coming up...it's not the Phillies but it is baseball. :lol:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
ESPN said Glavine and the Mets coming up...it's not the Phillies but it is baseball. :lol:

well the team the Phils will be chasing all year long :wink:

Roman529
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Ohhh Dear God...it is Chris Berman doing baseball. :tantrum:

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
well the team the Phils will be chasing all year long :wink:

You funny Rocky!! :sidelol: Wagner you traitor!!!!

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I can't watch it!!!!

ESPN has it blacked out, RSN has it blacked out!!!!

I'm ticked!!!!

phunwin
04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I can't watch it!!!!

I'm ticked!!!!

This is what I was afraid of. Crap.

NYPhinFan
What a joke...ESPN is blocking out the Met game on my Direct TV and the Direct TV channel that supposed to have the game...just has a blank screen. GREAT!
I live in NY and I can't see the game!

Rocky Raccoon
right now ESPN is showing ESPN News, Phunwin, do you have DirecTV? because I think ESPN will black out the game in our area. They usually do.

EDIT: sorry guys

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I can't watch it!!!!

I'm ticked!!!!

Isn't it a sellout at Shea?,,,how can they black it out. Anyone have the subscription to MLB.com so you can watch the games on your computer?
If yes, how is the video feed? I wish the NFL would do this as I know the Phins games are gonna be affected by hurricanes again on DirecTV. :mad:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
it is a sell out, I don't know what the deal is.

All you DirecTV guys...go to the MLB Extra Inning channels, they will have a free preview this week. Maybe you can catch the game on there, but it may be blacked out on those channels also.

Roman529
They just showed Jesse Orosco throwing the opening pitch to Gary Carter...must be the 20th anniversary of the World Series? Time flies.

NJFINSFAN1
Isn't it a sellout at Shea?,,,how can they black it out. Anyone have the subscription to MLB.com so you can watch the games on your computer?
If yes, how is the video feed? I wish the NFL would do this as I know the Phins games are gonna be affected by hurricanes again on DirecTV. :mad:

All three channels on Directv have it blacked out

Its a joke!:tantrum:

NYPhinFan
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
The deal between Direct TV and SNY was supposed to be settled by today. Obviously it hasn't. Opening Day and you can't see it!..God Bless this country and all the companies making a fortune.:shakeno:

MikeO
04-03-2006, 01:13 PM
What a joke...ESPN is blocking out the Met game on my Direct TV and the Direct TV channel that supposed to have the game...just has a blank screen. GREAT!
I live in NY and I can't see the game!

Its not ESPN or DIRECTV blacking it out.

The RULE is when you have SNY in your area (meaning on cable) then DIRECTV must black out the ESPN feed of the game.

Check ESPNHD channel on DIRECTV (73), I am guessing you will STILL be able to pick them game up on there.

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:13 PM
That's wrong....it should be shown everywhere...especially if you paid for the baseball ticket or your area's baseball channel. They are showing the Rockies on the Denver Altitude channel later.....they carry most of the Rockies, Avs, and No-guts games.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
That's wrong....it should be shown everywhere...especially if you paid for the baseball ticket or your area's baseball channel. They are showing the Rockies on the Denver Altitude channel later.....they carry most of the Rockies, Avs, and No-guts games.

:roflmao:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:16 PM

The RULE is when you have SNY in your area (meaning on cable) then DIRECTV must black out the ESPN feed of the game.

Check ESPNHD channel on DIRECTV (73), I am guessing you will STILL be able to pick them game up on there.

When the Giants or Jets are on ESPN, they put the game on Channel 11 so people can see it. They should do the same.

But I know what your saying.

Nappy Roots
04-03-2006, 01:17 PM
mets dont have a local station they play all their games on?

Roman529
Are the Mets building a new stadium or just the Yankees?

Rocky Raccoon
Glavine went 1-2-3 in the 1st!

MikeO
When the Giants or Jets are on ESPN, they put the game on Channel 11 so people can see it. They should do the same.

But I know what your saying.

The NFL is different though.

It sucks. Just email DIRECTV and tell them you want SNY.

Im guessing within a week it will be on DIRECTV

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
mets dont have a local station they play all their games on?

well they just got themselves a brand new station BUT not all providers carry the station yet (some still in negotiation, like DirecTV)

Nappy Roots
04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
well they just got themselves a brand new station BUT not all providers carry the station yet (some still in negotiation, like DirecTV)

ah i see. that sucks.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
ah i see. that sucks.

not for me, I got Comcast :D

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
The NFL is different though.

It sucks. Just email DIRECTV and tell them you want SNY.

Im guessing within a week it will be on DIRECTV

Yeah, I just did.:boohoo:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Are the Mets building a new stadium or just the Yankees?

yes I think both are, but not completely sure.

Roman529
Pauli LeDoca looks different in a Mets uni. I thought the Dodgers should have kept him long ago, before he went to the Marlins and then the Mets.

MikeO
not for me, I got Comcast :D

comcast and time warner are part owners of the station which is why BOTH have it on

NYPhinFan
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Blacking it out were the wrong words. There is still no deal between Direct TV and SNY yet. Just find it amazing that no deal was reached by opening Day!

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I think Chris Berman is a decent football commentator but he isn't a great baseball play-by-play guy. But at least he doesn't talk about Barry Bonds all game long like Joe Morgan. :rolleyes2

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I think Chris Berman is a decent football commentator but he isn't a great baseball play-by-play guy. But at least he doesn't talk about Barry Bonds all game long like Joe Morgan. :rolleyes2

I'm a big Berman fan, is he doing the Mets game on ESPN?

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:28 PM

I'm a big Berman fan, is he doing the Mets game on ESPN?

Yep Berman doing the play-by-play....Anderson Hernandez just made a great throw from 2nd base. Wow. :eek:

Ray Finkle
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Quote of the Year by Jeff Brantley: "I like watching David Wright play baseball"

Join the club.... Wright is great.

Hernandez made an extremely good play. (I bet Kaz wouldn't have even had to do the back hand jump throw though :lol: )

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a hero, a cold beer and a blank screen!:boohoo:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Quote of the Year by Jeff Brantley: "I like watching David Wright play baseball"

Join the club.... Wright is great.

Hernandez made an extremely good play. (I bet Kaz wouldn't have even had to do the back hand jump throw though :lol: )

:yes: I love Wright

he was a Mets fan as a kid, and wants to play for the Mets his whole career :banana:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I really like these new look helmets.

Ray Finkle
04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
:yes: I love Wright

he was a Mets fan as a kid, and wants to play for the Mets his whole career :banana:

I love Wright too. He's probably my favorite non Red Sox player. I had the chance to meet both him and Reyes a few years ago and both were extremely nice guys. I took a liking to both but more so to Wright (mainly because I could understand his english a little better).

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I really like these new look helmets.

STOPPPPPPPP

I CAN'T SEEEEEEEE THEMMMMMMMMMMMM:boohoo:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I love Wright too. He's probably my favorite non Red Sox player. I had the chance to meet both him and Reyes a few years ago and both were extremely nice guys. I took a liking to both but more so to Wright (mainly because I could understand his english a little better).

:lol:

yea Wright seems like an incredibly nice guy. He is always chatting and laughing with the bat boys..he doesn't walk around with a bloated ego, very down to earth.

phunwin
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM

Can anyone verify this? Is channel 73 picking up the game? The regular ESPN feed is blacked out for me (yes, I actually ran home from work to check), as is channel 744, the Extra Innings Package channel.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM
STOPPPPPPPP

I CAN'T SEEEEEEEE THEMMMMMMMMMMMM:boohoo:

:chuckle: sorry NJ.

Delgado struck out, Wright popped out, Floyd struck out, going to the top of the 3rd. No score.

Ray Finkle
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Can anyone verify this? Is channel 73 picking up the game? The regular ESPN feed is blacked out for me (yes, I actually ran home from work to check), as is channel 744, the Extra Innings Package channel.

I have the Extra Innings Package and every time a game is on National TV the game gets blacked out. So any game shown on ESPN or Fox will be blacked out. I also get Yankee games blacked out on the package because I get YES.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM

I don't have the HDTV channel on Directv

But 73 says not on locally

phunwin
04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
ARGH! Stupid DirecTV and SNY execs!

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:48 PM
ARGH! Stupid DirecTV and SNY execs!

I just sent a nasty e-mail to Directv.

Ended it with enough with the excuses, just get it done!:tantrum:

PS

I'm sure its in there spam folder by now!:boohoo:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:53 PM
wtf what happened to the game? Is there a rain delay? They have some classic game on now :confused:

EDIT: what the hell is going on, they're still playing and SNY is showing some game from '86

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
wtf what happened to the game? Is there a rain delay? They have some classic game on now :confused:

Nope, I'm listening on the radio, Nady got a single

Roman529
04-03-2006, 01:56 PM

No rain delay....0-0 in the 3rd. Mets runner at 2nd, Glavine up to bat.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
what the hell is going on, they're still playing and SNY is showing some game from '86 :tantrum:

EDIT: power problem with the trucks at Shea, will resume when problem fixed :shakeno:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
1st and 3rd one out, Reyes up!

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Line drive out by Reyes, Nady should have tagged, but screwed up according to the radio guy.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
1-0 Mets, base hit La duca

Roman529
04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
1-0...Bloop single in front of Alphonso SORRYanno.....man he can't play left field......gonna be a long year for the Nats. :lol:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I hear boo's for Beltran already after the second strike.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I hear boo's for Beltran already after the second strike.

you should have heard all the booing Zambrano got during introductions...I feel bad for him

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 02:03 PM
1-0...Bloop single in front of Alphonso SORRYanno.....man he can't play left field......gonna be a long year for the Nats. :lol:

:lol: long year indeed

phunwin
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Anyone got some insight as to where I can tune in for an internet broadcast?

Incidentally, I also sent my angry email to DTV, with the usual empty threat at the end, "I will be forced to reconsider my subscription to DirecTV if this is not resolved." Strange threat, considering I think I'm locked into a 2 year deal.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone got some insight as to where I can tune in for an internet broadcast?

Incidentally, I also sent my angry email to DTV, with the usual empty threat at the end, "I will be forced to reconsider my subscription to DirecTV if this is not resolved." Strange threat, considering I think I'm locked into a 2 year deal.

I tried WFAn, but could not get it to work.

And MLB you have to pay.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:13 PM
1-1

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
2-1 Mets!!!!

NADY AGAIN!!!

Roman529
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Sorriano did not really hit the cutoff man... probably cost them a run but Floyd was motoring.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Sorriano did not really hit the cutoff man... probably cost them a run but Floyd was motoring.

Did the Phill's lose yet?:wink:

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM

nah I'm pretty sure Floyd would have scored anyway

Roman529
04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Did the Phill's lose yet?:wink:

They go up against Carpenter of the Cardinals in about a half hour....I am off to the gym. Rollins is gonna beat Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak in about 3 more weeks. :D

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
They go up against Carpenter of the Cardinals in about a half hour....I am off to the gym. Rollins is gonna beat Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak in about 3 more weeks. :D

how many is he at?

I knew there was a player that had a big streak coming into this year...just forgot who.

phunwin
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
how many is he at?

I knew there was a player that had a big streak coming into this year...just forgot who.

I think he's got 33.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
David Wright HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/34370712metshomerunapple-1.jpg (http://www.pbase.com/terryballard/mostpopular)

phunwin
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Woo-hoo!!!

BTW, is anyone else having a problem with ESPN's GameCast? It's not updating worth a crap.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/ph_294558-1.jpg

3 for 3

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Woo-hoo!!!

BTW, is anyone else having a problem with ESPN's GameCast? It's not updating worth a crap.
nope sorry, I'm watching the game on TV :D

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Woo-hoo!!!

Go here http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=nym

Click on gameday.

phunwin
04-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Go here http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=nym

Click on gameday.

Thanks. Still not updating like I'd want, but it's better than nothing.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Beltran will never make it here! The Fans are already killing him!

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Beltran will never make it here! The Fans are already killing him!

I know :shakeno:

I wish the fans would back off for now...It's opening day for crying out loud...give the guy some time.

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Cardinals - 1
Phillies - 0

:roflmao:

phunwin
04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Looks like Soriano got thrown out at the plate!

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Looks like Soriano got thrown out at the plate!

shhhh...he was safe :wink:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
4-4 Nady!!!

phunwin
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Nady just doubled! 4 for 4 (4 4 4?). Wow; I feel stupid for backing Victor Diaz in the RF battle.

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Wagner Time!!!
I am so glad Loup is gone!

Rocky Raccoon
04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Wagner Time!!!
I am so glad Loup is gone!

:yes:

NJFINSFAN1
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkk