PDA

View Full Version : Big publishers embrace Xbox Live Arcade, promise original titles

mor911
01-25-2006, 12:50 AM
The Mor knew Xbox Live Arcade was a cool idea, but the thing seems to be a hit with gamers and developers alike. Fueled by the news that Street Fighter 2 will be released in Xbox Live arcade, developers are flocking to the source as a cheap means of getting games to customers.

XBL Arcade requires no packaging and little marketing, a low cost alternative to test the waters for new game ideas.

Just think, Company A has a great idea for a new kind of game or character. Company A knows that it's gonna cost upwards of $10 million to develope a sure fire hit. Marketing says it's not worth the risk, and says we better play it safe and release another sequel to a proven IP.

In comes XBL Arcade, Cost $1 million to develope the game. It has no packaging, shipping, and little marketing costs. Plus it's meant to be a fast arcade experience, so you don't need to make a 40+ hour game. Sell it on Live for $10 - $15 and boom. You can test out your new games to a gamer's market.

The Mor's just speculating, but it can help open the creative doors for developers. Something I think the industry is losing. Too often game companies are going with a cheesy sequel and avoiding the new stuff.

"As the business has grown, we now are swamped--completely swamped--with folks that want in Arcade, large publishers and small publishers alike .... the Capcoms, Namcos, Midways, Konamis, EAs--those types of guys were like, 'Yeah, maybe one or two titles.' Now they're coming out with us saying, 'oh, we wanna do 25 titles. We wanna do 20 titles. We're starting up a division to do arcade titles.' So we have a huge amount of opportunities from the large publishers. Not just back-catalog stuff... The retro stuff is part of it, but it's also new content they wanna develop for arcade..."

We've said it before, we'll say it again: Xbox Live Arcade is the best thing going for the Xbox 360 right now, and that's not some backhanded compliment. It's a truly fantastic service for gamers who know that quality comes in all forms, not just the latest title with a multi-million-dollar development budget. If big publishers are developing titles just for Xbox Live Arcade, gamers are in for a treat.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/24/big-publishers-embrace-xbox-live-arcade-promise-original-titles/

AquaInferno
01-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I'll probably join the 360 crowd next year, so this Street Fighter II business on Xbox Live arcade is def. up my alley... Thank god for console gaming online, it's so ****in awsome.

Deus Ex Dolphin
01-26-2006, 08:00 AM
It is a way for small developers to get into the gaming market at minimum cost, yet reach millions of potential customers.

Another aspect of the new Xbox Live Marketplace is getting movie previews and especially the free game demos. This will soon replace the OXM demo disk (really the reason I subscribe to the magazine anyway) for the best way to try new games.

MS is betting that Xbox Live will push the Xbox 360 into homes, while Sony will offer Blu-Ray movies. Which is better for expanding gaming? :D