PDA

View Full Version : K, I need a job

K-train
01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't want to bag groceries, work in a fast food place, or do anything of that sort.

What would you suggest for a person turning 16?

ILPhinFan88
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
You could be a celebration (thread) cooridinator :D

mor911
01-25-2006, 08:10 PM
At 16, The Mor bagged groceries. Truth is, there ain't much more that you can do. You're 16 man.

Caps
01-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't want to bag groceries, work in a fast food place, or do anything of that sort.

Unless you've got connections, you're probably going to have to lower your standards. If you're REALLY lucky, you might be able to land a job at Blockbuster or someplace similar, but that's rare.

Philter25
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM

Find your closest golf course and caddy..... thats where the moneys at. No other place can you walk around in nice weather getting a tan making 100-200 bucks a day carrying crap.

unifiedtheory
01-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Good luck then...

When you're looking for work and have little or no experience and you can only work part time (I'm assuming you are a student) you're choices are limited.

When I turned 16 I did about every crappy part time job a student could find until I found a part time job working at a printing company. 4:00 'til 8:00 Sunday-Thursday, 10 minute bus ride from my high school, $12.00 an hour (big money 18 years ago considering I was in high school at the time.)

Be patient. You'll probably do a bunch of stuff you hate before you find something you can at least deal with.

AquaInferno
01-25-2006, 08:42 PM

Dude, I've been working crap jobs (Fast food, gas station) till I was almost 20. So I'd expect to be flippin burgers or stockin shelves if I were you, sorry but the real jobs require 18+. (Usually)

FLOUNDER
01-25-2006, 08:46 PM
You could always be a telemarketer....Im about to start that and im only 16

You get paid $7 bucks an hour...

Before that, i worked at K-mart....So both wernt to bad of jobs

AquaInferno
01-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Telemarketing, they hire 16 year olds for that now? Man oh man starting tomorrow I get off of working on phones, and I'll be copying/pasting all day. I CAN'T wait till I don't have to deal with people so cranky about 1 second delays when they press the button to take a pic. on their digital camera.

wpgfishfan
01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Up here they hire 16 year olds to work in Best Buy so you could get lucky. Find out if the manager is a Fin's fan which gives you an edge

SMadison29
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Go get a job at a liquor store as a stockperson. There will definitely be a lot of interesting days.

CalDolFan1014
01-25-2006, 09:35 PM

Kame-apart.....boy to I remember those days!!! :lol: ...... :yell: :yell: :fire: :mad: Yes, that was my first job....worked there for less than a year and a half and got fed up with it. How I survived that long, I don't know. Glad those days are gone.

NaboCane
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Telemarketing, they hire 16 year olds for that now? Man oh man starting tomorrow I get off of working on phones, and I'll be copying/pasting all day. I CAN'T wait till I don't have to deal with people so cranky about 1 second delays when they press the button to take a pic. on their digital camera.

Like, dude, when are you gonna like, buy somethin already. We been on the phone now like, 30-40 seconds dude, aight...I ain't got all day, like, I gotta be like rich or sumpin in like a hour...

CalDolFan1014
01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Like, dude, when are you gonna like, buy somethin already. We been on the phone now like, 30-40 seconds dude, aight...I ain't got all day, like, I gotta be like rich or sumpin in like a hour...

:lol: :sidelol: :lol:

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Sorry, but if you don't want to do all of those things, at that age, it may be hard to find employment. :)

You could try a local Target or something....pay your dues and it will pay off one day.

I worked crap jobs until November 2004 and now I get paid about 13.5 an hour and am up for a big raise next month (which I better get as my quality scores were phenomenal!)

K-train
01-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Sorry, but if you don't want to do all of those things, at that age, it may be hard to find employment. :)

You could try a local Target or something....pay your dues and it will pay off one day.

I worked crap jobs until November 2004 and now I get paid about 13.5 an hour and am up for a big raise next month (which I better get as my quality scores were phenomenal!)

I see, Target is a place that has always intriqued me.

ps. : How's this for my 1,000th post:cooldude:

UltraDol-Fan
01-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree with Philter, work at a golf course. I worked at an Arby's for 5 years through all High School and my first year of college. Then I got a job at a golf course. A lot of them you don't even have to caddy anymore. All I did was drive a golf cart to the customers cars and pick them up in the parking lot and help them with their bags. Then when they were done you would clean their clubs for tips and bring the cart back. It was awesome, and getting into golf can actually help your career, because almost everyone in the coroporate world golfs.

Slappy8800
01-28-2006, 01:55 PM
if you NEED a job, youll do anything...with the job market today id take anything i can get

woody1351
01-28-2006, 02:03 PM
wash cars at a car dealership, mow grass, shovel snow, if you live by a lake work at teh gas station there, at least youll be able to meet good lookin girls. greenskeeper.

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I agree with Philter, work at a golf course. I worked at an Arby's for 5 years through all High School and my first year of college. Then I got a job at a golf course. A lot of them you don't even have to caddy anymore. All I did was drive a golf cart to the customers cars and pick them up in the parking lot and help them with their bags. Then when they were done you would clean their clubs for tips and bring the cart back. It was awesome, and getting into golf can actually help your career, because almost everyone in the coroporate world golfs.

haha I worked at Arby's on backline for 3 months once (then had to move to tallahassee for school). what did you do there?

the one cool thing about working in a sit down restaurant (which typically admittedly only hires 16) are all the hot hostesses. I used to close each night at work talking for hours on length to whatever big bootied blonde they'd just hired. :)

FinsNCanes
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Work in a mall? I see 16 year olds working in malls all the time. It's a bit better then packing some dudes meat.

PassRush
01-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Work in a mall? I see 16 year olds working in malls all the time. It's a bit better then packing some dudes meat.

Dude that just sounded wrong:lol:

CalDolFan1014
01-29-2006, 04:28 PM

That DID sound wrong! :sidelol:

Buddwalk
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway K, very very hard to find anything else other then bagging grocerys, could work at mcdonalds or at the bar like me being a busboy :D

Jt0323
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
At 16, The Mor bagged groceries. Truth is, there ain't much more that you can do. You're 16 man.
not true, im 16 and i dont bagg groceries, im the person who gives the guy who is bagging groceries the food

K-train
01-29-2006, 09:37 PM
not true, im 16 and i dont bagg groceries, im the person who gives the guy who is bagging groceries the food

wow, that sounds so much better than bagging groceries.:rolleyes:

spydertl79
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Working carts at a golf course. I worked at Kmart and then a golf course. I made 20$/ hour today because of tips. You don't have to work very hard and u can play free golf. I didnt used to like golf but i do now. ALso, chicks who golf are hot and freaky. Little rich girls who want to rebel against daddy!

miamikid92
01-30-2006, 12:00 AM
i would work at mcdonalds i love mcdonalds :tongue:

Working carts at a golf course. I worked at Kmart and then a golf course. I made 20$/ hour today because of tips. You don't have to work very hard and u can play free golf. I didnt used to like golf but i do now. ALso, chicks who golf are hot and freaky. Little rich girls who want to rebel against daddy!

:sidelol:

spydertl79
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
i would work at mcdonalds i love mcdonalds :tongue:

:sidelol:
You think I'm kidding don't you? The one's who aren't lesbians are frickin hot! and some of the ones who are lesbians arent too bad either.

Roman529
01-30-2006, 01:34 AM
I got my first job in a military commissary when I was 17....stocking shelves, working in the dairy aisles, ordering the milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and ice cream, operating the pallet jacks in the warehouse and refrigerated rooms...it was a good first job...it is not how much you make that matters. Just find something you like doing and then it is not a job.

WharfRat
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
wow, that sounds so much better than bagging groceries.:rolleyes:

you have to start somewhere.
when I was 16, I worked whatever job I could get.
It's easier to get a job when you already have one.
Be happy to find ANYTHING where someone is willing to take a chance on a 16yr old with no work history.
Once you have a job, if you don't like it, look for something better...just don't quit before you get something...

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I worked in a hospital. I started in Environmental services (Housekeeping) cleaning floors and stripping and waxing floors. I worked up to being a supervisor after a few years, then got an offer to go to classes and become an OR Tech. Which I did. They were some of the best years of my life working at that hospital. I met my wife who was a nurse in the Recover room at the time!

Sometimes I wish I was still working in the OR, but they stopped paying Techs well and started to fade us out with nurses.

Now I'm 42, selling real estate and back in school to get my teaching degree!

dreday
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
My first job I got through a connection when I was 11 supposed to be 14 bagging groceries.Since you dont want to do that though I'm going to assume you have a drivers license and recommend being a parking valet attendant.You figure to get paid by the hour and get tips.Excellent job for a 16 year old.

UltraDol-Fan
01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
haha I worked at Arby's on backline for 3 months once (then had to move to tallahassee for school). what did you do there?

I started when I was 16 as just a cashier, but when I turned 18 they made me the night shift manager. They wanted to make me an assistant but I didn't want to work 50 hours a week.

K-train
01-30-2006, 07:59 PM
My first job I got through a connection when I was 11 supposed to be 14 bagging groceries.Since you dont want to do that though I'm going to assume you have a drivers license and recommend being a parking valet attendant.You figure to get paid by the hour and get tips.Excellent job for a 16 year old.

Dont have one yet, but I'll still drive.:D

dreday
01-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Dont have one yet, but I'll still drive.:D
Im sure you will!! :dolphins: Dont rush it kid.It'll come

Agent51
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
You think I'm kidding don't you? The one's who aren't lesbians are frickin hot! and some of the ones who are lesbians arent too bad either.

Dude, oh MAN, I KNOW you aren't kidding!!!! I played golf with the owner of one of the clubs I bartend at and a bunch of his friends. A few of them brought their sons or daughters. I was in a group with my boss' friend's daughter, she was 19 and MY GOD she was like a 9.75 of 10, haha, the closest you can get to being perfect without actually being perfect. The only thing stopping her from being a 10 was the fact that she had brown eyes, and the eyes are my favorite part of a girl and for some reason they just weren't that great to me, lol. She was blodne, but not fake like bleached blonde, it was that brownish blonde, like blonde with light brown in it, pretty good rack, Bs, which are fine for me, I'm not a big boob man, I like Bs or Cs, lol. Smokin toned body, you know, the works, what you'd expect from the daughter of a millionaire restraunter (spelling?) visiting Hawai'i. Anyway, sometimes the brown eyes work, but in this case they were a little too dark so it kept me from rating her a perfect 10. So moving on the other 2 people in my group where the chick's brother, he was like 16 or 17, and the son of another club owner. I got stuck in that group when I was SUPPOSED to be playing with the owners, but one extra showed up last minute making it uneven, but hey, i made out better :D . To make a long story short, I hooked up wth the chick in the golf cart "house" where they repaired carts and then twice later that night when I took her out. Turns out her brother ratted her out to her dad, her dad was PISSED, he called my boss pisse and my boss came to me. Here's the best part, he was like "Jason, you slept with Rob's daughter?" and I was like um, yea, and I was getting all nervous cause he was acting like I did this huge sin or something, then he pauses and a huge smile comes across and he goes "DAMN! How was she, she got any tricks?" It was classic, so I shot the **** about banging his friends daughter with my boss for a good hour. He was like "Rob is P I S S E D, he wante dme to fire you and everything, it took all I could not to laugh my as off til I hung up the phone" Moral of the story, LEARN GOLF and play with rich people (and their daughters, if you're lucky, then literally).

As far as jobs, man, IDK. When I was that Age I had been a sponsored surfer for 3 years so I would make some money when I got pics in magazines and when I won amature contests. I also took a job at KB Toys when I turned 16 just for extra income since I was only competeing in amature contests so it wasn't a lot of money, and I was in school so it was only on weekends anyway. I moved up to full time assistant manager within a year, which technically I guess you aren't even supposed to be a manager unless you are 18. I stayed another year then I quite to take a bartending job and ever since I have been still surfing, getting paid for video and magazine spots but I don't reglarly compete anymore, plus I started doing graphic design work and I know bartend at TWO clubs in Hawai'i. In my case the right things fell into place at the right time, but a lot of my friends had to work at fast food places or as busboys or fry cooks or jobs like that for awhile til they turned 18 and better things were available.

K-train
01-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Dude, oh MAN, I KNOW you aren't kidding!!!! I played golf with the owner of one of the clubs I bartend at and a bunch of his friends. A few of them brought their sons or daughters. I was in a group with my boss' friend's daughter, she was 19 and MY GOD she was like a 9.75 of 10, haha, the closest you can get to being perfect without actually being perfect. The only thing stopping her from being a 10 was the fact that she had brown eyes, and the eyes are my favorite part of a girl and for some reason they just weren't that great to me, lol. She was blodne, but not fake like bleached blonde, it was that brownish blonde, like blonde with light brown in it, pretty good rack, Bs, which are fine for me, I'm not a big boob man, I like Bs or Cs, lol. Smokin toned body, you know, the works, what you'd expect from the daughter of a millionaire restraunter (spelling?) visiting Hawai'i. Anyway, sometimes the brown eyes work, but in this case they were a little too dark so it kept me from rating her a perfect 10. So moving on the other 2 people in my group where the chick's brother, he was like 16 or 17, and the son of another club owner. I got stuck in that group when I was SUPPOSED to be playing with the owners, but one extra showed up last minute making it uneven, but hey, i made out better :D . To make a long story short, I hooked up wth the chick in the golf cart "house" where they repaired carts and then twice later that night when I took her out. Turns out her brother ratted her out to her dad, her dad was PISSED, he called my boss pisse and my boss came to me. Here's the best part, he was like "Jason, you slept with Rob's daughter?" and I was like um, yea, and I was getting all nervous cause he was acting like I did this huge sin or something, then he pauses and a huge smile comes across and he goes "DAMN! How was she, she got any tricks?" It was classic, so I shot the **** about banging his friends daughter with my boss for a good hour. He was like "Rob is P I S S E D, he wante dme to fire you and everything, it took all I could not to laugh my as off til I hung up the phone" Moral of the story, LEARN GOLF and play with rich people (and their daughters, if you're lucky, then literally).

As far as jobs, man, IDK. When I was that Age I had been a sponsored surfer for 3 years so I would make some money when I got pics in magazines and when I won amature contests. I also took a job at KB Toys when I turned 16 just for extra income since I was only competeing in amature contests so it wasn't a lot of money, and I was in school so it was only on weekends anyway. I moved up to full time assistant manager within a year, which technically I guess you aren't even supposed to be a manager unless you are 18. I stayed another year then I quite to take a bartending job and ever since I have been still surfing, getting paid for video and magazine spots but I don't reglarly compete anymore, plus I started doing graphic design work and I know bartend at TWO clubs in Hawai'i. In my case the right things fell into place at the right time, but a lot of my friends had to work at fast food places or as busboys or fry cooks or jobs like that for awhile til they turned 18 and better things were available.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I cant believe you "messed around" with the millionaires daughter, the good thing is you still kept your job!!!:lol:

Definately will look into being a caddy.

Alex44
01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
I worked in a hospital. I started in Environmental services (Housekeeping) cleaning floors and stripping and waxing floors. I worked up to being a supervisor after a few years, then got an offer to go to classes and become an OR Tech. Which I did. They were some of the best years of my life working at that hospital. I met my wife who was a nurse in the Recover room at the time!

Sometimes I wish I was still working in the OR, but they stopped paying Techs well and started to fade us out with nurses.

Now I'm 42, selling real estate and back in school to get my teaching degree!

Depending on how you read that...its funny as hell.

How much did you make as a stripper :lol:

Im in the same boat as K-Train

Im turning 16 in 3 months and I want a job...but not the normal grocery bagging job...it doesnt have to be special I just dont want to do the same thing everyone else does....

NJFINSFAN1
01-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Depending on how you read that...its funny as hell.

How much did you make as a stripper :lol:

Im in the same boat as K-Train

Im turning 16 in 3 months and I want a job...but not the normal grocery bagging job...it doesnt have to be special I just dont want to do the same thing everyone else does....

I do have a big pole!:rolleyes: