PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Jay Cutler II

midwest_phinfan
01-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Cutler Interview (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/Dolphins/entries/2006/01/from_the_mouth.html)

"Have you met with the Miami Dolphins yet?

Yeah. It lasted about 30 to 40 minutes. It was basic questions, feeling me out, seeing my personality. It was a good interview. They just want to get to know you. They just got off of their season and they just got done with their whole thing. So the head coaches don’t really have time to evaluate players. It’s just a give and take situation."

I am not opposed to drafting Cutler as long as we don't have to trade up to get him. I have a gut feeling that Saban and Co. are taking a long hard look at Whitehurst out of Clemson (who could be had a round or 2 later, and may be just as good a prospect.)

SMadison29
01-26-2006, 03:21 AM
They just got off of their season and they just got done with their whole thing. So the head coaches don’t really have time to evaluate players. It’s just a give and take situation."

I'm a bit confused by this. Our season has been over for nearly a month now. Our coaches have had time to look at some film.

PressCoverage
01-26-2006, 03:52 AM
not opposed either... but not by trading up, which at this point, would be necessary...

there are gems to be found at the position in rounds 3+ ...

Dolfan2788
01-26-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm a bit confused by this. Our season has been over for nearly a month now. Our coaches have had time to look at some film.

Yeah, they have, it's in Saban's press transcript that they were given tidbits on each player and that they're evaluating them at the Senior Bowl.
I think he was trying to play the whole "It's not about the NFL" card in that interview and try to be a bit blinsided.

BlueFin
01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I have a gut feeling that Saban and Co. are taking a long hard look at Whitehurst out of Clemson (who could be had a round or 2 later, and may be just as good a prospect.)

That "may be" is highly doubtful.

phinfanNY08
01-26-2006, 11:32 AM
i know i may get bashed for this because everyone knows about saban's philosophy about draft picks. but if he is set on snagging cutler in the first round, why doesnt he do what the bills did a few years ago. swap first round picks and offer next years first to get cutler. THATS ONLLY IF HE BELIEVES CUTLER IS THE ONLY CHOICE.

thoughts on that, i thought it was an idea so RW stays on the roster and theirs good incentive to trade picks.

also i was impressed witih DJ Shockley and am wondering if Saban is considering Shockley with either the 2nd rd pick or a 3rd.

i do not think croyle will be a good fit in the offense, plus of his injury woes. where shockley was starter for just a season and is fresh....aka ronnie brown.

Phishstix
01-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a gut feeling that Saban and Co. are taking a long hard look at Whitehurst out of Clemson (who could be had a round or 2 later, and may be just as good a prospect.)

IMO whitehurst is not a saban-type qb. he's a gunslinger that will take some chances and make bad decisions and mistakes; saban's philosophy on offense is hell-bent on protecting the football. out of the senior bowl qbs, cutler and croyle would fit that profile.

finresurrection
01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
trade 2 numer 1s for Cutler, no thanks. Not when you get Croyle in the 2nd or maybe the 3rd, or Whitehurst in teh 3rd.

Shockley, no thanks again. reports from the senior bowl practices have Shockley being the worst QB there. missing targets, weak-armed, etc. see the reports on www.gbnreport.com some are now saying he may not even be drafted he has performed so poorly at the senior bowl.

phinfanNY08
01-26-2006, 11:41 AM
i know i may get bashed for this because everyone knows about saban's philosophy about draft picks. but if he is set on snagging cutler in the first round, why doesnt he do what the bills did a few years ago. swap first round picks and offer next years first to get cutler. THATS ONLLY IF HE BELIEVES CUTLER IS THE ONLY CHOICE.

thoughts on that, i thought it was an idea so RW stays on the roster and theirs good incentive to trade picks.

also i was impressed witih DJ Shockley and am wondering if Saban is considering Shockley with either the 2nd rd pick or a 3rd.

i do not think croyle will be a good fit in the offense, plus of his injury woes. where shockley was starter for just a season and is fresh....aka ronnie brown.

Phishstix
01-26-2006, 11:42 AM
yea, shockley is and has always been very inconsistent and inaccurate. he'll be lucky to stick as a qb in the league.

Celtkin
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Trading two firsts to move up 2-3 spots would probably be overpaying. You could probably move up by swapping firsts and this or next years third round pick, IMO

finmann
01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
That price may be a little to steep.

Motion
01-26-2006, 11:52 AM

What were you watching? Shockley has been awful this week. Thats a terrible comparison to Ronnie as well. Its good for a RB to be fresh, but for a QB its called inexperience, and thats not good.

daniel3
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I'll agree on the Croyle bit, something about him just looks odd (maybe its the fact he doesn't look like an nfl player). Also has Cutler really proven that much other than showing he has talent to warrant the Dolphins trading multiple first rounders for him? The only two QB's I would trade up for is Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Two guys who've played at the pinnacle of levels in college and shown they're above it.

Motion
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
The only two QB's I would trade up for is Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Two guys who've played at the pinacle of levels in college and shown they're above it.

Pinacle? :lol: So you think Young will be successful in the NFL?

daniel3
01-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Pinacle? :lol: So you think Young will be successful in the NFL?

No, he'll be a bum of QB that, although being one of the best college players in years, will be a total flop in the NFL and will be thoroughly surpassed by Jay Cutler on the next level.

Motion
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
No, he'll be a bum of QB that, although being one of the best college players in years, will be a total flop in the NFL and will be thoroughly surpassed by Jay Cutler on the next level.

Dripping with sarcasm I see. Although I completely agree with that statment. ;)

BlueFin
01-26-2006, 12:58 PM

Shockley will never start in the NFL.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll see Saban trade away 2 first rounders for one player the Dumbstedt/Spielman did, I could see throwing Ricky or a later pick in to move up for Cutler though.

sports24/7
01-26-2006, 01:22 PM
I would do that if Cutler is deemed worthy by Saban and Mueller. Think about it, this draft is very good, next year's may not be even close. If we improve like most people feel we will we won't have a very high pick next year anyways. So essentially our second this year could be more valuable, or at least as valuable as a 1st next year. I personally think Cutler is well worth it and this team needs a franchise QB more than anything, so why not sacrifice a bit to bring in a player that is going to turn our offense into a dominant one for a long time with the talent around him. If Saban is really high on Croyle and thinks he will be there at our pick in round 2 then I would be content with that, but we need to do everything in our power to get a franchise QB.

Motion
01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I would do that if Cutler is deemed worthy by Saban and Mueller. Think about it, this draft is very good, next year's may not be even close. If we improve like most people feel we will we won't have a very high pick next year anyways. So essentially our second this year could be more valuable, or at least as valuable as a 1st next year. I personally think Cutler is well worth it and this team needs a franchise QB more than anything, so why not sacrifice a bit to bring in a player that is going to turn our offense into a dominant one for a long time with the talent around him. If Saban is really high on Croyle and thinks he will be there at our pick in round 2 then I would be content with that, but we need to do everything in our power to get a franchise QB.

Extremely good points. Face it we're looking at pick in the 20s next year most likely, hopefully late 20s. Next years QB class isn't nearly as deep. We're long overdue for our franchise QB.

Ghetti13
01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Mike Mayock has some significant bias in regards to Jay Cutler. He is commenting on Cutler with his heart, not his head. Lets all be aware of that.

Mayock constantly touts Cutler's arm strength and repeatedly downplays the importance of his sporatic footwork, mechanics and accuracy. My guess it that the scouts will not be so forgiving.

Don't get me wrong, Cutler has some serious physical skills. No doubt about it. But, physical skills don't win games. Accuracy, poise, leadership and decision making do.

Can Cutler theoretically go top ten? Yeah, if he proves he is a leader who is coachable and willing to improve. However, given his on field demeanor and obvious unwillingness to improve his footwork as a senior, that might not be as likely as Mike Mayock and NFL network want us to believe.

We have a long ways to go, but, it is not entirely out of the question that Cutler slips to Miami and possibly beyond on draft day.

Sofa_King_Drunk
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Here's what Pat Kirwan has to say about Cutler from observing him at the Senior Bowl-

"Quarterback Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) has some very good skills and the potential to be a first-round pick for some teams, while one GM told me he has a second-round grade on his board. I tend to think that after watching the ball come out of his hand with very good velocity and accuracy that he will be a first-round selection. One QB coach said his feet and drops lack consistency and could damage his draft value. From what I witnessed while he was being coached by Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Jay has a chance to be a very good pro and might pass Vince Young on some draft boards."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9188685

NathanHunt
01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Here's what Pat Kirwan has to say about Cutler from observing him at the Senior Bowl-

"Quarterback Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) has some very good skills and the potential to be a first-round pick for some teams, while one GM told me he has a second-round grade on his board. I tend to think that after watching the ball come out of his hand with very good velocity and accuracy that he will be a first-round selection. One QB coach said his feet and drops lack consistency and could damage his draft value. From what I witnessed while he was being coached by Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Jay has a chance to be a very good pro and might pass Vince Young on some draft boards."

I know there has been a recent surge of interest in Cutler and Tennessee has been named many times as being a potential suitor.... but seeing some of the "supporting evidence"... could it be that Tennessee's hat is being thrown in the circle simply for this reason.

I know some Senior Bowl coaches have an inside insight on players and sometimes become enamored with a player because of it. But until the draft is closer, I'll be more apt to second guess any rumors about "this team interested in this this kid". Reporters have to spark contraversy just to generate readers....

Some kids rise and fall on draft boards leading up to the draft.... I'd say we are looking into the Omar Jacobs', DJ Shockley's and Jay Cutler's of the world to find who we are going to draft.

HelloMotto
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I know there has been a recent surge of interest in Cutler and Tennessee has been named many times as being a potential suitor.... but seeing some of the "supporting evidence"... could it be that Tennessee's hat is being thrown in the circle simply for this reason.

I know some Senior Bowl coaches have an inside insight on players and sometimes become enamored with a player because of it. But until the draft is closer, I'll be more apt to second guess any rumors about "this team interested in this this kid". Reporters have to spark contraversy just to generate readers....

Some kids rise and fall on draft boards leading up to the draft.... I'd say we are looking into the Omar Jacobs', DJ Shockley's and Jay Cutler's of the world to find who we are going to draft.

i could see cutler going top ten and vince young suddenly doing a free fall. If Vince Young is available @ 16 do we do it? He won't start the first year and can we fix his mechanics?

vt_dolfan
01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
i could see cutler going top ten and vince young suddenly doing a free fall. If Vince Young is available @ 16 do we do it? He won't start the first year and can we fix his mechanics?

No way in hell Young falls to 16..and yeh..if he did....you draft him based on potential alone. He wont fall out of the top 4 or 5.

Motion
01-26-2006, 04:41 PM
If anyone falls it will be Leinart.

Jaj
01-26-2006, 04:45 PM
If anyone falls it will be Leinart.

No I believe it'll be Young if there are questions about his release and mechanics. If McNair leaves Tenn. and comes here then that's a perfect situation.

Lappy
01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
did you watch the national title game? no way Vince falls before Lienart

Disgustipate
01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
First of all, if he is biased he logically has something to gain from it. Is this guy Jay Cutlers mom? Is he making money off of him being drafted? Who cares if a single analyst has an opinion that is different from yours? That's going to have it, and this is going to be a long offseason if we're going to fill the General forum with contrary opinions to every draft picks evaluation.

Second of all, you're breaking two unwritten rules... Dont make misleading titles, and post threads in the appropriate forums.

LarryFinFan
01-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Mike Mayock has some significant bias in regards to Jay Cutler. He is commenting on Cutler with his heart, not his head. Lets all be aware of that.

Mayock constantly touts Cutler's arm strength and repeatedly downplays the importance of his sporatic footwork, mechanics and accuracy. My guess it that the scouts will not be so forgiving.

Don't get me wrong, Cutler has some serious physical skills. No doubt about it. But, physical skills don't win games. Accuracy, poise, leadership and decision making do.

Can Cutler theoretically go top ten? Yeah, if he proves he is a leader who is coachable and willing to improve. However, given his on field demeanor and obvious unwillingness to improve his footwork as a senior, that might not be as likely as Mike Mayock and NFL network want us to believe.

We have a long ways to go, but, it is not entirely out of the question that Cutler slips to Miami and possibly beyond on draft day.

Yeah, it does sound like he's getting a kick back from Cutlers agent, but its not all unwarranted. The guy is showing much better than most expected him to show. Cutler will go in the top ten unless he falls flat on his face on Sunday and in his other workouts. QB is the premier position in the NFL... Leadership can't be measured by us the fans or media, only by his teammates and coaches. While that's an intangible that can't really be measured, it's also not what scouts are really looking the hardest at right now. That aspect of the guys game has been shown over the course of his career. As it happens, Cutler was head and shoulders the best player on his team and took them on his shoulders most games. But what the scouts will get from this game/practices is "Is his arm strong enough ?? Can he make the out throws ?? How accurate is he ?? At any rate, you could be right about him slipping, but not likely....afterall some guy in 1983 dropped much further than anyone expected...

Maynard the Hammer
01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
you can fix bad feet, but not the arm...at least according to mike holmgren

Oboy
01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
trade 2 numer 1s for Cutler, no thanks. Not when you get Croyle in the 2nd or maybe the 3rd, or Whitehurst in teh 3rd.

Shockley, no thanks again. reports from the senior bowl practices have Shockley being the worst QB there. missing targets, weak-armed, etc. see the reports on www.gbnreport.com some are now saying he may not even be drafted he has performed so poorly at the senior bowl.
Saban is here to "resurrect" the memories of '72. history will repeat itself.

rd 1 - Huff
rd 2 - Broyle
rd 3 - Stovall
rd 4 - best LB available
rd 7 - 3 Best players available

FA pickups

Peterson
Hutchinson
Have to agree with your comment about Cutler. I would love your mock in your sig. I can't IMAGINE that really happening, I just don't think Huff lasts until 16. Also, I doubt we could afford both Peterson AND Hutchinson under the cap. They are both going to get big money.
Wait, did you mean "Croyle"? Who is Broyle?

ibemacin
01-26-2006, 06:24 PM

I watched the Senior Bowl practice and Cutler had some accuracy issues it seemed to me. He couldn't hit a post route at all.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Don't use the word bias then. Bias implies an alterior motive. Mayock does not have any reason to pump Cutler aside from because he looked at Cutler and judged that Cutler is the best QB in this draft. That's all. That isn't bias, that is just an opinion you disagree with.

kitt23
01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
this is wut rotoworld has now

Chris Mortensen is the latest to call Jay Cutler the "Best quarterback available for the NFL draft come April."
Mort says that this is the view of a growing number of NFL scouts, despite the media hype surrounding Vince Young and Matt Leinart. There is also growing belief that Cutler won't make it past Tennessee, the third pick of the Draft

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I wasn't sure if this goes in the Dolphins or Draft section so my apologies mods if its in the wrong place. Pro Football Weekly states that Saban, Mularkey and others on the staff took Cutler out to dinner and that they are very interested in getting him. Who knows, maybe we trade up to get him. It's too early to know but I think if we don't get a free agent QB before the draft, we'll be looking to trade up
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2005/blog06.htm

Roman529
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
What did they eat for dinner? :D

Lappy
01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I hear Buffalo steaks are good!

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
What did they eat for dinner? :D

:lol: Buffalo wings

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I hear Buffalo steaks are good!

That was the entree:evil:

CrunchTime
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Interesting but not unusual.They probably have a QB scheduled for dinner every night.There are no realistic scenarios for the Dolphins to get Cutler unless they give up too much to move up.

We should be focusing on the second tier QBs such as Coyle who we have a realistic chance of drafting with our No 51 pick in the second round.

Other interesting prospects later on are Whitehurst and Hackney and Mc Neal.

BTW This thread does belong in the Draft forum.;)

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Interesting but not unusual.They probably have a QB scheduled for dinner every night.There are no realistic scenarios for the Dolphins to get Cutler unless they give up too much to move up.

We should be focusing on the second tier QBs such as Coyle who we have a realistic chance of drafting with our No 51 pick in the second round.

Other interesting prospects later on are Whitehurst and Hackney and Mc Neal.

I think Croyle might get a dinner but Whitehurst, Hackney and McNeal are going to have to paper bag it

CrunchTime
01-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I think Croyle might get a dinner but Whitehurst, Hackney and McNeal are going to have to paper bag it

There is a Mac Donalds close by.:tongue:

neuce
01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
If they really like Cutler then they need to make the moves to move up and draft him. Right now we are like Pittsburgh was for years after Terry Bradshaw. It took Pittsburgh until Ben Roethsburger before they found a good qb again. I hope it doesn't take Miami 20 years to find Dan Marino's replacement.

There obviously are no sure things in the draft but after workouts, watching film etc if Saban and staff are sold on Cutler then make the move and get him.

On a side note I don't see Croyle ever making anything more than a backup in the NFL.

Jnaledu3
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
if Saban and staff are sold on Cutler then make the move and get him.

Thats good and all, but it looks like Tennessee wants to draft him and they have the number 3 pick. I really dont think we have the kind of ammo to trade with Houston or New Orleans.

HelloMotto
01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Interesting but not unusual.They probably have a QB scheduled for dinner every night..;)

on slow nites they probably take bernie kosar out or maybe Guy Benjamin (old school). :goof:

Alex44
01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
This is the report

Miami Dolphins Head coach Nick Saban and his staff took out Jay Cutler for dinner on thursday to an all you can eat buffet, while no specifics are known we overheard this come out of Sabans Mouth 'Jay eat all you can, get fat, play terrible at the senior bowl, and have a terrible combine, our offseason workouts will whip you into shape' The dolphins are being investigated for 'Tampering' with the draft, This is Alex22 reporting for espn news

HelloMotto
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I wasn't sure if this goes in the Dolphins or Draft section so my apologies mods if its in the wrong place. Pro Football Weekly states that Saban, Mularkey and others on the staff took Cutler out to dinner and that they are very interested in getting him. Who knows, maybe we trade up to get him. It's too early to know but I think if we don't get a free agent QB before the draft, we'll be looking to trade up

i have a feeling cutler will go top ten and vince young will do the slide ... if he is available at 16 do we take vince young..???

In_Flames
01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
as some other members have already stated...I really don't think its worth trading Ricky or extra picks to move up to try and get Cutler, yes I like this kid alot and would love to have him, however this draft is filled with an abundance of talent this year, and a defensive player like Huff could fall right into our laps w/out losing anything via trade and help address our other problem areas, and I'd be more than happy to settle for a QB like Croyle or Jacobs in a later round(2nd/3rd) who we can groom behind a Vet....

AtticusFinz
01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Would love for Mule&Saban to draft him but, I heard AJ Smith in the senior bowl say that he is not trading Rivers and is open to offers for Brees.
would love for Mule make some offers for Brees if his injury isnt similar to Penningtons

Alex44
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
i have a feeling cutler will go top ten and vince young will do the slide ... if he is available at 16 do we take vince young..???

If Cutler or Young is available at 16 you should be VERY VERY happy

I love Young, and I like Cutler a lot

tylerdolphin
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Alex, your cooling off. Only 63 posts a day now :)

calmrage
01-26-2006, 08:58 PM
:lol: Buffalo wings

Duh guys, their in Alabama..... Possum road kill stew

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM

I would take Young. He's probably a 3 year project though. He reminds me of McNair a little. I think the problem we face is it looks like the QBs are all gone by the 5th pick or so. I think someone is going to luck into DBrickshaw at the 5th or 6th. We are going to have to package Ricky and picks to get a QB. If not I think we have to go freeagent and then draft one in the later rounds as a project

adamprez2003
01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Duh guys, their in Alabama..... Possum road kill stew

Wash it down with some moonshine and that's good eatin

CrunchTime
01-26-2006, 09:18 PM
On a side note I don't see Croyle ever making anything more than a backup in the NFL.

The word from the Senior bowl is that he has impressed sufficiently to be considered a legitimate second round pick.The biggest knock on him is his frail body and questions about hisdurability.A few dinners would do him a lot of good.

#12 Brodie Croyle had another quality practice, throwing strikes into the wind. Very nice play action fakes during 11-on-11 team drills. Great week of practice gets better.

[QUOTE]

Croyle likely won't be drafted at least before the second round. Injury concerns are a question with Croyle, however, since he tore his right ACL in his junior year and sustained a shoulder injury his sophomore season.

The Dolphins still are interested in the senior. Croyle said he was scheduled to sit down with the staff twice - once Tuesday night and once today. One of those meetings would be with Saban, Croyle said.

Alabama coach Mike Shula said he thinks Croyle would be a great fit for the Dolphins.

"He can make all the throws," Shula said. "He has a real good feel for the game, good touch and great accuracy. He's going to be well prepared. He's got intangibles that are hard to coach."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/25/a1c_fins_0125.html

He may be our guy in the second.

Dors156
01-26-2006, 11:23 PM
As we have heard it seems that jay cutler is the best pro prospect instead of leinart or young.now chow is working with cutler so there is a possibility of the titans drafting him.now leinart probably is going to the saints unless they choose young.now if the saints took leinart,and the titans took cutler would you trade up for young and what are the chances of this scenario happening?

Motion
01-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Very possible it could happen. Personally, i wouldn't trade up for Young. He's not the type of QB I want. I'd rather stay put, draft someone that will make an immediate impact, Huff, Williams, etc. and take Croyle in the 2nd or 3rd.

Dors156
01-26-2006, 11:36 PM
heres my opinion.i have been learning alot lately on how you can tell which QB will exceed and which one will fall.You have to watch them in the college season of course but it all comes down to it after the season.the senior bowl practices,so far croyle and whitehurst have been suprising me,then the combine.if the QB plays really well in all and his stock moves up then thats a sign of a good QB,but if he doesnt do so well and he is starting ot fall, then dont take a chance.i know it sounds kindof obvious but whatever.

lynchmobb34
01-27-2006, 06:11 AM
heres my opinion.i have been learning alot lately on how you can tell which QB will exceed and which one will fall.You have to watch them in the college season of course but it all comes down to it after the season.the senior bowl practices,so far croyle and whitehurst have been suprising me,then the combine.if the QB plays really well in all and his stock moves up then thats a sign of a good QB,but if he doesnt do so well and he is starting ot fall, then dont take a chance.i know it sounds kindof obvious but whatever.

I see your point,but it's not that simple.I wish it was though.Just look at Tim Couch,Akili Smith,Joey Harrington.All of them were drafted in the top 3,Two of them are out of the league,and if Harrington didnt play for the Lions,he might be sitting with Akili on Tims COUCH!!

Motion
01-27-2006, 07:36 AM

If only it were that simple. :D

adamprez2003
01-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Is Jason Garrett still our QB coach? Vince Young requires a top 5 QB coach to work with for the next three years to get him ready to play in the NFL. I don't know if Garrett is up to the challenge. The upside of Young is having a young McNair, who I thought for two or three years was possibly the best QB in the league, so I would certainly be happy for the opportunity but it would require alot of patience from this organization to bring him in. I don't know if Saban wants to wait that long for a rookie to start to produce

juice1348
01-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Scouts in attendance have concerns about quarterback Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt (http://vanderbilt.scout.com/). While he physically has the makings of an NFL passer, his mental makeup is a little different. Several people we spoke with say Cutler can be surly at times. Teams aren't willing to invest a fortune in that type of person as the future leader of their franchise.

That was on Foxsports this morning...interesting. Maybe he will be there when we pick.

bigmiamifan
01-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Yea, like Dan was a nice guy when he got going :rolleyes:

arsenal
01-27-2006, 10:19 AM
i think this cutler stock stuff is just cause hes the only one everyones looking at right now... i think after the combine when young and leinart have their workout, those 2 wlil still be picked before cutler...

Der Philth
01-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I want my QBs surly. It's a shame he'll be long gone when we pick.

PhinzN703
01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
http://http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113834051934650.xml&coll=1

At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., several Jets team representatives and scouts, including general manager Terry Bradway, had a lengthy dinner with Cutler on Wednesday night. The Dolphins also have shown interest in Cutler.

In addition to Cutler, the Jets have shown considerable interest in offensive tackles D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia) and Eric Winston (Miami).

Motion
01-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Jets need Oline, they can't afford to pass up on Brick.

adamprez2003
01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Jets need Oline, they can't afford to pass up on Brick.

From what I've seen of Dbrick, every team needs him. He's going to be a monster!

Motion
01-27-2006, 11:02 AM
From what I've seen of Dbrick, every team needs him. He's going to be a monster!

Yeah no kidding.

Hostile 17
01-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Scouts in attendance have concerns about quarterback Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt (http://vanderbilt.scout.com/). While he physically has the makings of an NFL passer, his mental makeup is a little different. Several people we spoke with say Cutler can be surly at times. Teams aren't willing to invest a fortune in that type of person as the future leader of their franchise.

That was on Foxsports this morning...interesting. Maybe he will be there when we pick.Awesome rumor. Way to go, guys!

(whisper) Hey, you know what? I heard Jay Cutler has a problem with smoking banana peels and kicking cats. Pass it on!

(tip-toe away...) :evil:

stoody24
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
this is a mock draft i found

wouldnt this be great, but i dont think they know what they are talking about because it says he might even be a reach for us??

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

dominizzo
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
i likrur draft and free agent prediction i hope it happens

Miami_Dolphins
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
they dont even have the right order.

SA_BUTTA
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
That would be great too but unfortunately we are not the only ones looking at Cutler.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113834051934650.xml&coll=1

In an apparent philosophical shift, the Jets are seriously considering drafting Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler in the first round of the April draft should they trade down from the fourth pick overall, according to someone with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Dolfan4life!
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
they dont even have the right order.
It says it was last updated on the 20th of Jan. so the last few spots (Denver picking last, Pittsburgh not being in the last two spots, etc.) were unknown at the time.

trate121hb
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
id like to give props to nfldraftcountdown.com they are one of the few websites that get it right every year......unfortunately this mock draft is early and things will change...but the last few yrs theyve been right on the money with their last mock draft....keep this site in mind come draft day....2 yrs ago they got something like 14 of the 1st 15 picks correct

cutler's stock is rising just like rivers.....i like the kid and hope we can get him but i dont see saban jumping over hoops to get him.....after the combine we will see how strong the draft is at the qb position and then saban will decide how he'll get our franchise qb in here

woolhoss
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeh, Chris Mortenson even said he wouldn't be surprised if Cutler was the 1st QB taken in the draft over Leinart and Young.....so I'm doubting he drops to 16

HelloMotto
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
this is a mock draft i found

wouldnt this be great, but i dont think they know what they are talking about because it says he might even be a reach for us??

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

hate to break it to you but almost all mocks have us taking cutler.

finfan54
01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
IMO whitehurst is not a saban-type qb. he's a gunslinger that will take some chances and make bad decisions and mistakes; saban's philosophy on offense is hell-bent on protecting the football. out of the senior bowl qbs, cutler and croyle would fit that profile.

I think your right fishstix, that is why Omar jacobs is interesting due to his competion % and very few INT's.

finfan54
01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
When the dust settles, hopefully some of these defensive guys along with the talent at LT can push Cutler down to us. It almost makes you want the guy to not look so good tommorrow.

dabadguy5937
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
cold pizza just had the topic that Cutler might be the number 1 picked QB they say its unlikely but they said that he is catchin a lot of press. Skip Bayless said that he'll probably be the second QB chosen, and Woody said he'll probably end up goin to the JETS! WTF! if they get him ill be pissed but it looks like we can finally say that there will be no jay culter in miami

UltraDol-Fan
01-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, last year people were speculating that Rodgers could be the number 1 pick and he fell far.

BIGRED11
the jets deffinatley arent taking him..dont worry bout that

twg76
What have we learned about Cold Pizza? They are full of S***!! :fire:

dabadguy5937
01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
as long as the jets dont get bush or one of the high profile qbs

dabadguy5937
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
What have we learned about Cold Pizza? They are full of S***!! :fire:

i think the only way they get there ratings and stay around is by puttin up crazy storys that arent true so that every1 watchs it

TXFinFan
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I had to wait a few minutes for Cutler to do a segment for Nashville TV, then chatted with him about his college career and NFL prospects. He told me he had been to dinner with the Dolphins Wednesday night and had a great meeting with Nick Saban, Mike Mularkey and the offensive staff. I know the Dolphins are VERY interested in Cutler, but at No. 16, it’s unlikely that he will still be there when Miami picks in the first round. Did he impress them enough to trade up for him? We’ll have to wait and see.

BIGRED11
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
as long as the jets dont get bush or one of the high profile qbsi heard mentioned in another post that the jets were in "cap hell" so i doubt they will have the money for a big name QB or RB besides houstons taking bush so hell be gone....and i dont think their is a lot of rb talent this year

VanDolPhan
01-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Does all this talk not remind people of the Ben/Philip/Eli debate?

Before the college season ended Ben was the #1 QB. Then all the external bullcrap came in and Eli/Philip moved ahead and Ben dropped to #12. Hell Philip was initially talked about as a 2nd rounder when the season ended (sound familiar?).

Honestly I'm hoping this happens again. Matt falling to 10 or lower would be great for the phins and I hope they would jump all over it as it's clear who the best QB was.

Lesson learned. Take the college years and use that exclusively. Don't let the combine and all the external crap influence the decisions at QB so much.

BigDogsHunt
01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Everyone knows "Cold Pizza" is only good with a bunch of beers!

SPAM TV!

NaboCane
01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
cold pizza just had the topic that Cutler might be the number 1 picked QB they say its unlikely but they said that he is catchin a lot of press. Skip Bayless said that he'll probably be the second QB chosen, and Woody said he'll probably end up goin to the JETS! WTF! if they get him ill be pissed but it looks like we can finally say that there will be no jay culter in miami

I'm tired of having to move your threads, and you're not going to go on ignoring me. Contact admins@finheaven.com if you have any questions.

Wrathman
01-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I think its less Matt falling and more insane man-loving for Cutler by the Media. He could go in the top 4 now....lol

Coral Reefer
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Does all this talk not remind people of the Ben/Philip/Eli debate?

Before the college season ended Ben was the #1 QB. Then all the external bullcrap came in and Eli/Philip moved ahead and Ben dropped to #12. Hell Philip was initially talked about as a 2nd rounder when the season ended (sound familiar?).

Honestly I'm hoping this happens again. Matt falling to 10 or lower would be great for the phins and I hope they would jump all over it as it's clear who the best QB was.

Lesson learned. Take the college years and use that exclusively. Don't let the combine and all the external crap influence the decisions at QB so much.

You can look at last year as well.
Aaron Rogers would NEVER make it out of the top 10!

There is potential for us to get a good prospect in the 1st.
All this talk of them guaranteed to be gone is silly.

If not we'll look to pick one up in the later rounds of day 1.

VanDolPhan
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I think its less Matt falling and more insane man-loving for Cutler by the Media. He could go in the top 4 now....lol

Same deal with Rivers. Now all I'm waiting for is the Combine and Matt to have a slightly bad day and Young to just have a really good day and we get the Young/Matt swap just from the combine stupidness.

edit: wtf with the idiotic merge? Nice to know the mods have no clue what they are doing still.

TXFinFan
01-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I had to wait a few minutes for Cutler to do a segment for Nashville TV, then chatted with him about his college career and NFL prospects. He told me he had been to dinner with the Dolphins Wednesday night and had a great meeting with Nick Saban, Mike Mularkey and the offensive staff. I know the Dolphins are VERY interested in Cutler, but at No. 16, it’s unlikely that he will still be there when Miami picks in the first round. Did he impress them enough to trade up for him? We’ll have to wait and see.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PF...2005/blog06.htm (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2005/blog06.htm)

NJFINSFAN1
01-27-2006, 02:38 PM
In an apparent philosophical shift, the Jets are seriously considering drafting Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler in the first round of the April draft should they trade down from the fourth pick overall, according to someone with knowledge of the team's thinking.
With the hiring of new coach Eric Mangini, the Jets now seem willing to select a quarterback in the first round and groom him for the long term. Under former coach Herman Edwards, the Jets were believed to be planning to address other needs with their first-round pick and sign a veteran quarterback to compete with Chad Pennington in training camp.

Pennington, 29, had his second rotator cuff surgery in an eight-month span last October and his career is in jeopardy.

FinFrenzy
01-27-2006, 02:40 PM
It is almost a waste of time unless we trade up way up giving away next years first atleast.

TXFinFan
01-27-2006, 02:45 PM
It is almost a waste of time unless we trade up way up giving away next years first atleast.

We could trade up with the Raiders or 49ers without giving up a first. We could probably do it with a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year.

trate121hb
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
If No Trades Are Made And The Order Stays The Way It Is Where Does Jay Cutler End Up???

mia4ever
01-27-2006, 04:40 PM
anywhere From the Jet(4th pick) to Az(10th pick)
it seem but man I have watch and seen this a number of times

How team and the media over hype a guy
just to see that player go lower then predicted.

trate121hb
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
the more and more i read the more and more i want this guy in aqua and green....this could be a stud in the league....the next manning

some ppl say he's the best this yr and this yr's qb draft is strong

mia4ever
01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
you could be Right

Last year Alex Smith came out of nowhere
while the Green Bay rookie QB fell to the 24 pick in the 1st round!

NJPHIN34
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Clayton just reported the Jets are very interested in Cutler, although not at the 4th spot. They would like to trade down and get a spot in front of Miami and take Cutler. Said they are trying to hedge their bet that Pennington can stay healthy. I would hate to see this happen although I think the Jets would be ******ed for such a move. They could use a Deangelo Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson way more than they could use another hole in their heads, (i.e. Cutler)

motioncityhifi
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
This is the time for draft smoke screens and this is what this probably is...a smoke screen and nothing more.

Motion
01-27-2006, 07:43 PM
This is the time for draft smoke screens and this is what this probably is...a smoke screen and nothing more.

I agree, as much as I think Penny's best days are behind him, they have way to many holes to fill before they take Cutler.

Jnaledu3
01-27-2006, 08:25 PM
I know... they can trade down with Miami- and Miami will pick Cutler with the number 4!!

Well I dont know how this would be a smokescreen. "Smokescreens" usually involve a team who is posturing by saying that they will take a certain player at that position- in order to push other teams to trade up with them.

If the Jets really wanted to smokescreen they would say they were very interested in Vince Young to maybe get a team like Detroit or Arizona to trade with them.

And they way things are looking now- they might have to trade UP to get Cutler.

My guess is that Vince Young and Matt Leinart are really going to have to be involved in every aspect of the combines in order to re-establish themselves as the number 1 and number 2 QBs in the country.

Caps
01-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Are they planning on putting any decent players on the field? Because Penny's contract+ a 1st round QB's contract = like half their cap space.

sports24/7
01-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Are they planning on putting any decent players on the field? Because Penny's contract+ a 1st round QB's contract = like half their cap space.
Exactly. This is why I don't understand why people keep thinking the Jets would go QB in the first. They may take someone like Croyle later on to "hedge their bet" with Pennington, but they are in position to take a very good player and they have alot of needs and are in a bad cap situation.

web1300
01-27-2006, 08:45 PM
the hated Jets will not take a qb but they will most likely trade down... either way they still s**k !!!! :lol:

phinphan11
01-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Clayton just reported the Jets are very interested in Cutler, although not at the 4th spot. They would like to trade down and get a spot in front of Miami and take Cutler. Said they are trying to hedge their bet that Pennington can stay healthy. I would hate to see this happen although I think the Jets would be ******ed for such a move. They could use a Deangelo Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson way more than they could use another hole in their heads, (i.e. Cutler)

What team isn't?

NJPHIN34
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
the hated Jets will not take a qb but they will most likely trade down... either way they still s**k !!!! :lol:

Agreed that they will always s u c k, but who do you think they could trade down with? Would someone need to trade up for Ferguson? Or do you see another guy someone would want to trade up for?

cnc66
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
wow, this would really hurt the Jets cap wise, I say go for it.

how long before we see trade Ricky for Pennington threads... sigh...

In_Flames
01-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally I had the Jets going after Ferguson or DeAngelo Williams...but with the way Cutler's stock is rising you never know....:confused:

SCall13
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Typical posturing. The Jets MAY take Cutler who knows. OR they may be trying to build up their interest to seeif they can gather Miami's interest and try to sucker the Dolphins into trading to move up out of desperation. News flash Jets: This is not THAT front office any more.

web1300
01-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I dont think you would ever see the Fins/Jets ever make a trade of that magnitude.... the Jets need help everywhere.. I can see them moving down and taking Deangelo Williams... someone in desperate need of a LT could move up

DolphinsRising
01-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Hot player is Cutler...Jets want publicity after a very poor season so they say pssst John, this is all very hush hush but... ....moments later, John Clayton is stating Jets are interested in Cutler! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

How many teams do you think have a draft board already made up? How many of those teams just hired a new head coach who's still trying to fill out his staff? Just another pre-draft rumor.

MiamiHitman
01-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Here is the link.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113834051934650.xml&coll=1

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/starledger-1.gif

Jets audible: Eye Vandy QB Cutler in draft

Friday, January 27, 2006 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

With the hiring of new coach Eric Mangini, the Jets now seem willing to select a quarterback in the first round and groom him for the long term. Under former coach Herman Edwards, the Jets were believed to be planning to address other needs with their first-round pick and sign a veteran quarterback to compete with Chad Pennington in training camp.

Pennington, 29, had his second rotator cuff surgery in an eight-month span last October and his career is in jeopardy.

Meanwhile, the Jets continue their search for an offensive coordinator, with Saints offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard, former Browns head coach and Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and perhaps Eagles quarterback coach Pat Shurmur said to be on their list of candidates.

Tony Wise remains the front-runner to replace offensive line coach Doug Marrone, who wants out of his contract, which has a year remaining.

At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., several Jets team representatives and scouts, including general manager Terry Bradway, had a lengthy dinner with Cutler on Wednesday night. The Dolphins also have shown interest in Cutler.

In addition to Cutler, the Jets have shown considerable interest in offensive tackles D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia) and Eric Winston (Miami).

If the Jets keep the fourth pick overall, they likely would take Ferguson, who is considered a franchise left tackle. If they trade down, they would try to select Cutler in the 10-to-15-pick range and pick up an offensive tackle such as Winston later in the first round.

On many early draft boards, Cutler is ranked as the third best quarterback behind Matt Leinart (USC) and Vince Young (Texas).

Cutler, 6-3, 223 pounds, was a one-man band for Vandy this season. He threw for 3,073 yards, 21 touchdowns and just nine interceptions while leading the Commodores to a 5-6 mark in the competitive Southeastern Conference. He has good mobility, rushing for 215 yards.

Most teams view Cutler as a player who'll need at least a year on the bench behind a veteran. He has good arm strength, smarts, toughness and a strong work ethic, according to reports.

TotoreMexico
01-28-2006, 02:09 AM
If the jets select Cutler, i'm going to hate 'em even more :tantrum:

LoneWulF
01-28-2006, 02:10 AM
oh well, the more people off the board the better chance at michael huff or jimmy williams

Maynard the Hammer
01-28-2006, 02:17 AM
its pretty crazy how high this kid's stock has risen

Gonzo
01-28-2006, 02:19 AM
darn

Danny
01-28-2006, 02:29 AM
oh well, the more people off the board the better chance at michael huff or jimmy williams
How do you know Saban wants those 2? I think he'd rather take an OLB at 16 than a DB.

Ozzy rules!!

NCDolphan
01-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey guys and gals, remember it is Jan 28th. I haven't done my evaluations totally yet so you know Saban hasn't either. There is no other reason Jay Cutler is moving up the board other than Kiper jr and Mortensen, and the fact People read the headlines. If he is taken by jets, then it gives us a different avenue at our 16. Let's all chill and let things take its course. We will select a top 16 pick next year to add to our 9-7 team.

phinsfan4life8
01-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Last night I had a dream that we drafted Jay Cutler. He started but we kind of struggled. I don't remember their record or anything like that but I remember arguing with someone and they said we were just going to get worse and I was saying we are building. We did start to look better as my dream went on, so it looks like we do have a strong future if my dream does come true.

Your thoughts...

TPD1479
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Whispers of the JETS trading down a couple of spots and drafting CUTLER....I would like him but after the week he had at the senior bowl don't know if its possible.... :dolphins:

Adam First
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Why would they want to?
They can easily get Cutler from where they're at.

TPD1479
01-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Why would they want to?

they said they feel they can tade down, pick up an extra pick and still get him

Itsdahumidity

Plus the salary of the vet qb they have to sign this year. :lol:
This Cutler to the jests is nothing but a ploy.

muscle979
Why would they want to?

They might not feel he's quite good enough to draft that high. If they move down a few spots and still get him , they're saving money and getting some more picks.

Adam First
01-28-2006, 11:18 AM

How about we grab the pick from the Jets and rob Cutler
It would be the Biggest ownage in Draft History :wink:

SkapePhin
01-28-2006, 11:21 AM
We should trade to the spot right ahead of where they drop down to and steal Cutler from them.

muscle979
01-28-2006, 11:21 AM
How about we grab the pick from the Jets and rob Cutler
It would be the Biggest ownage in Draft History :wink:

Reaching too high for someone isn't a good idea.

Adam First
01-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Meh, I know.

I don't think the Fins can afford another Top-5 draft pick payroll...but it would sure be nice to see the Jets suffer.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
We should trade to the spot right ahead of where they drop down to and steal Cutler from them.

nice sig lol

SkapePhin
01-28-2006, 11:35 AM
nice sig lol

Its not a sig.. Its a collection of avatars.. If you want to use one, right click and get the url, or save to disk and go to User CP/avatar to put it on.

Adam First
01-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Its not a sig.. Its a collection of avatars.. If you want to use one, right click and get the url, or save to disk and go to User CP/avatar to put it on.

They're the greatest avatars on the site.
Chuck Norris would be satisfied.

:lol:

GCD960
01-28-2006, 11:38 AM
i had a dream last night also. Only it was not postitive. I dreamt that Houck retired. I get real scared thinking about something like that. Thank God i woke up

BleedinGreenNC
01-28-2006, 11:44 AM
How far do you think that Cutler will fall to? I was just wondering, i know that he was in NY the other day, this draft is going to be confusing, i just wish that we didnt beat the Bills in that last game, then we would have the 3rd pick. Bradway will screw this up again.

popularwar
01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I only dreamed about the Dolphins once. It was the Super Bowl (against Green Bay) and we couldn't get anything going offensively. I was so scared that we would lose the game but at halftime the score was 2-0 Green Bay. I had field passes somehow and the dream ended when Ricky had a 40 yard run. I'm pretty sure we wore orange jerseys and I specifically remember Jay Fiedler getting knocked around a lot.

Ronnie Brown23
01-28-2006, 11:51 AM

Definatly true.

The Jets would want our 1st 2nd and 3rd prolly.

Not a good idea for an unprooven rookie.

I've watched the guy play, he's awsome.

But how do you know he's going to blow up in the NFL or is he going to be the next Ki-Ja-Carter (former #1 pick that sucked in the NFL):confused:

Ronnie Brown23
01-28-2006, 11:52 AM
They're the greatest avatars on the site.
Chuck Norris would be satisfied.

:lol:

LOL:sidelol: :lol: :goof: :dolphins:

CanadaFinFan
01-28-2006, 11:54 AM
I had a dream last night too, but I cant tell you about it. Its x rated and includes playboy models

GCD960
01-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I know... they can trade down with Miami- and Miami will pick Cutler with the number 4!!

Well I dont know how this would be a smokescreen. "Smokescreens" usually involve a team who is posturing by saying that they will take a certain player at that position- in order to push other teams to trade up with them.

If the Jets really wanted to smokescreen they would say they were very interested in Vince Young to maybe get a team like Detroit or Arizona to trade with them.

And they way things are looking now- they might have to trade UP to get Cutler.

My guess is that Vince Young and Matt Leinart are really going to have to be involved in every aspect of the combines in order to re-establish themselves as the number 1 and number 2 QBs in the country.

WHy would Leinart and Young even go to the combine? Can they raise thdere stock more? I would think that all could come from it is them hurting themselves ( I dont mean physically)

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
You nerds dream about fat sweaty men? Man I can understand watching football, but man......only females appear in my dreams (cuz they don't appear anywhere else <cry>)

Lappy
01-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I had a dream last night too, but I cant tell you about it. Its x rated and includes playboy models

:sidelol:

MarSly
01-28-2006, 01:42 PM
you need to make a monica lewinski avatar

FinFan71
01-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I had a dream earlier this year the week before we played San Diego. We lost something like 48-45 and Ferotte threw 5 touchdown passes and had over 400 yards passing. I like the way the game really turned out better.

I also had a dream last week the night before the Conference Championship games and in my dream I was looking at the box scores and saw that Denver beat Pittsburgh 20-17 in overtime. The dream seemed so real that I could touch it. When I woke up the next day I seriously thought that the game had allready happened. When I found out it hadn't and that it was just a dream I knew it was a sign. I placed a big bet on a parlay with that score. I guess I should stop listening to my dreams.

Adam First
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't dream about football...if you do, mabye you should find a hobby... :wink:

dolfanben
01-28-2006, 02:02 PM
thats funny... i had a dream that we lost to the jets at home, and we basically gave the game away... then i woke up and it was all good... :wink:

mbsinmisc
01-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I am not enough of college football fan or one of our vaunted draft gurus, but it always scares me when a player rockets up the board based on things that happen after the regular college season is over.

2 cases in point, Cutler and Young, both have gotten hyped due to workouts or bowl games. Will both pan out? The odds say no. I dont know, but when Loserman went to Buffalo based on workouts I laughed my as# off.

I will guess that Cutler wont be available when the Phins draft, we pick a stud, and get McNeal, Whitehurst, or Croyle in the 2nd or 3rd.

Of course I was also glad when the Celtics didnt win the NBA draft lottery because I thought Duncan was too soft.I wonder if the Knicks have a job opening?

IdahoPhin
01-28-2006, 02:13 PM

:sidelol: Love your avatars.. Thanks for sharing..

kitt23
01-28-2006, 02:24 PM
do u think if cutler had a bad game at the senior bowl his stock will fall a little.

Flyer22
01-28-2006, 02:45 PM
do u think if cutler had a bad game at the senior bowl his stock will fall a little.
Probably not. Teams put a lot of significance on the practices and very little on the actual game. I believe Carson Palmer went 1-7 in the 2003 game, and he still went 1st overall.

FinFrenzy
01-28-2006, 02:47 PM

They can trade down with us.....we promise we won't take him :evil:

PhinsRDbest
01-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Love the avatars but I'm sorry but Peter Griffin is a Patsy fan. But I think, but not 100% sure Quagmire might be from Miami(He wears flowered shirts).

Pocoloco
01-28-2006, 03:13 PM

that would be so sweet

amir7
01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
what di u guys think of how he played today. do u think his stock went up or came down. i was pretty impressed, he displayed a very strong arm, and laser quick release, along with some mobility, and ability to move around the pocket and evade the rush. although he didnt have a great game stat wise, i still think he looked good

discuss:dolphins:

fishypete
01-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Lets say this...he didn't impress me...he didn't have a game like Rivers had...and I rather have Croyle.

neuce
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
He definitely has an NFL arm and an above average release. He won't step in and start his first year no matter where he goes but I like Cutler a lot more than Vince Young.

I thought it was comical when Spielman said that Young can work on his passing ability when he gets in the NFL. Well you don't work on your passing ability and stay a starting qb in the NFL. The NFL is not where you learn how to throw.

Vince Young will be a huge bust in the NFL but I certainly hope and expect a team to draft him ahead of Miami which will push the guys we really want one pick closer.

PHINATIC13
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
It was only one game,but Whitehurst and Hackney showed better today imo.

Agua
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Didn't impress me. Don't know where his "stock" was, so can't say how it was effected by his play today. He looks to have a quick release and strong arm. Accuracy - ho hum. He had a couple passes dropped.

Oboy
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I agree with Whitehurst. He really opened my eyes today. But Hackney? I was NOT impressed with him. I thought he only had a few good throws. Add that to his height (or lack there of) and I would pass on Hackney.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
He definitely has an NFL arm and an above average release. He won't step in and start his first year no matter where he goes but I like Cutler a lot more than Vince Young.

I thought it was comical when Spielman said that Young can work on his passing ability when he gets in the NFL. Well you don't work on your passing ability and stay a starting qb in the NFL. The NFL is not where you learn how to throw.

Vince Young will be a huge bust in the NFL but I certainly hope and expect a team to draft him ahead of Miami which will push the guys we really want one pick closer.

By the way...Spielman wasn't the only ex-player to say that...they all said that.
You have the right to your opinion....but just let me know when you admit your wrong...:D

Dolphins17-0
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but came across his webpage...

http://www.jaycutler.com/

Caps
01-28-2006, 08:52 PM

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 08:55 PM

lol it was only a matter of time...:tongue:

Ludacris
:sidelol:

Phins28

it was posted

PHINATIC13
01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree with Whitehurst. He really opened my eyes today. But Hackney? I was NOT impressed with him. I thought he only had a few good throws. Add that to his height (or lack there of) and I would pass on Hackney.

Yeah,he from 6'-1" to 5'-11" :mad: I wasn't saying I'd take him before Jay.I just thought he played a little better today.And considering all the hype around Jay he didn't to anything special to impress me today.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Looks like he needs a bra.

34isback
01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
No shot

CrunchTime
01-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Lets say this...he didn't impress me...he didn't have a game like Rivers had...and I rather have Croyle.

I guess you and me are the only guys in the planet who are not impressed with him.

His accuracy problem originates from his poor mechanics.That plus poor decision making and very close coverage in the NFL will lead to many interceptions.

The way he handles the ball at the line of scrimmage with those small hands will probably lead to too many fumbles too.

The guy has a quick release and a cannon of an arm but he looks like a project to me.I would rather take a gamble on Croyle or Whitehurst at a much lower cost,

However I am glad he is overated because that means he will be drafted ahead of us and someone else will drop to us.

BTW if Cutler ever corrects those flawed mechanics it will increase his power if thats possible and it certainly will make him more accurate.Then he could be compared to the Palmers and Mannings.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 10:06 PM
I guess you and me are the only guys in the planet who are not impressed with him.

His accuracy problem originates from his poor mechanics.That plus poor decision making and very close coverage in the NFL will lead to many interceptions.

The way he handles the ball at the line of scrimmage with those small hands will probably lead to too many fumbles too.

The guy has a quick release and a cannon of an arm but he looks like a project to me.I would rather take a gamble on Croyle or Whitehurst at a much lower cost,

However I am glad he is overated because that means he will be drafted ahead of us and someone else will drop to us.

BTW if Cutler ever corrects those flawed mechanics it will increase his power if thats possible and it certainly will make him more accurate.Then he could be compared to the Palmers and Mannings.

I agree...cutler in the 2nd round is good value...but he isn't a player that brings a 1st round value grade...thats where the hype comes in. If Quinn was in this draft...Cutler wouldn't be a thought....but the QB draft like last year is weak...so players get hyped up...until the bell rings and it's for real.

HysterikiLL
01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
IMO, Cutler would be a top 10'er if he didn't play in the Senior Bowl. He had a lot of momentum which will be very important going into the combine but that momentum has seemingly halted. Look at Alex Smith, a 3rd rounder projected around this time, and then had rocket momentum before the combine and picked up pace just at the right time. Smith was an excellent example of a player being drafted high because of hype. I'm not saying Smith is a bad player or will be a bust by any means, but IMO if he played in the senior bowl (I know he wasn't a senior) and had a poor game, I don't think he wouldv'e gone as high as top 20.

BigDogsHunt
01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree...cutler in the 2nd round is good value...but he isn't a player that brings a 1st round value grade...thats where the hype comes in. If Quinn was in this draft...Cutler wouldn't be a thought....but the QB draft like last year is weak...so players get hyped up...until the bell rings and it's for real.

And Cutler would not be as hyped if he played in a Bowl Game. Alot of blume would have fallen off his rose if a bowl game could have critiqued him.

Phinfan31
01-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Dripping with sarcasm I see. Although I completely agree with that statment. ;)

Im with you on Cutler...but to bash Vince Young like you're doing is just absolutely ridiculous.

TGall13
01-29-2006, 03:15 AM
not sure if this has been posted...but, on ESPN's web site, they have a list of 32 college players ranked by NFL scouts and Jay Cutler was #17! Now I know teams will draft by need but, it's somewhat encouraging the he may slip to us based on these rankings. I guess we'll have to see how he plays in the Senior Bowl and combine, but that's where he's at right now. It would be pretty sweet if he fell to us!

PressCoverage
01-29-2006, 03:26 AM
didn't look great in the senior bowl... kiper said he "showed enough"... but, for one game, i wasn't impressed

adamprez2003
01-29-2006, 07:02 AM

In a perfect world where true value is assigned to true worth Cutler probably is a top to middle 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, there are probably 10 teams in the NFL right now who wouldn't mind an upgrade at QB. Some will certainly determine that what they have is good enough and look to improve other more immediate concerns but some will look at a 2nd round talent and say we need him. The Dolphins are one of those few teams that desperately need a QB. Either we make a move for Cutler or we pin our hopes on a skinny, injury riddled QB from Bama who if he gets hit enough in the first half folds like a cheap tent in the second.

We have to get a QB and unless we get Carr, Rivers, McCown or Ramsey we have to use our first rounder on upgrading that position IMO. We passed on Charlie Frye last year and took Roth instead. We can't put off the QB lottery any longer

CD13
01-29-2006, 09:23 AM

If you ask a bills fan, I bet they would tell you they would like that pick back. I say no.

CD13
01-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah,he from 6'-1" to 5'-11" :mad: I wasn't saying I'd take him before Jay.I just thought he played a little better today.And considering all the hype around Jay he didn't to anything special to impress me today.

Which is good, it may make him fall to us. I think practices are more important, and he did well. The senior bowl performance may make some GM's overevaluate, which could have him fall to us...if he had a killer game he simply would not fall.

CD13
01-29-2006, 09:27 AM

But Cutler and Croyle did better with the scouts during practices.

Motion
01-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Im with you on Cutler...but to bash Vince Young like you're doing is just absolutely ridiculous.

You have your opinions, I have mine. I wasn't bashing him, just agreeing that I think he won't be successful in the NFL. Its all opinion, there is no right or wrong answer......yet.

Hostile 17
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
In a perfect world where true value is assigned to true worth Cutler probably is a top to middle 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, there are probably 10 teams in the NFL right now who wouldn't mind an upgrade at QB. Some will certainly determine that what they have is good enough and look to improve other more immediate concerns but some will look at a 2nd round talent and say we need him. The Dolphins are one of those few teams that desperately need a QB. Either we make a move for Cutler or we pin our hopes on a skinny, injury riddled QB from Bama who if he gets hit enough in the first half folds like a cheap tent in the second.

We have to get a QB and unless we get Carr, Rivers, McCown or Ramsey we have to use our first rounder on upgrading that position IMO. We passed on Charlie Frye last year and took Roth instead. We can't put off the QB lottery any longerBest Post of the Thread.

I agree with your assessment of our necessity and Brodie Croyle (what a shame he's not stronger!). And I'm on board with all your mentioned candidates.

One thing is for sure: I don't think I can hold out waiting for another 2 months!

CpuFan
01-30-2006, 03:38 AM
http://www.gbnreport.com/

January 30

(12:01 AM): Vandy QB still hot property... Despite something of a sub-par performance in Saturday’s Senior Bowl, Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler remains the most talked about prospect in the 2006 draft class. There are rumblings out of New York, for example, that the Jets would seriously consider selecting Cutler should they trade down from the fourth pick overall. With the arrival of new head coach Eric Mangini the Jets now seem willing to consider taking a young QB in this year’s draft and grooming him for the future. Under former coach Herman Edwards, the Jets were believed to be planning to address other needs with their first-round pick and sign a veteran quarterback to compete with Chad Pennington in training camp after Pennington underwent his second rotator cuff surgery in an eight-month span last October.

Meanwhile, sources in Miami are suggesting that the Dolphins, who are also reportedly intrigued by Cutler, but don’t believe he will still be on the board when they pick 16th overall, may be considering using RB Ricky Williams as trade bait to move up from that spot.

Boone
01-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Just do it!

MexDolfan
01-30-2006, 03:49 AM
First of all, hello everyone.

It's been sad to read tons of threads where all of us have been pointing to upgrade and update our QB. No matter who, no matter what it's always the same. There have been Jay, AJ, Gus, Brian and many others that surely will blame our OL of their numbers, but the same result of having a poor performance in the key position year by year. NO!! Our QB stats have been normal to NFL, but it's us the dolfans that always wanted to have Marino-like stats.

The After Marino life (AM) will be painfull as long as QB meaning in our minds enclose in what Marino showed us during 80's and 90's.
:tantrum:

There won't be a Marino-like anymore. We may find a new kind of QB that will fit the job and perhaps we have landed the guy, but he's in the downhill of a normal carrer. Yes, Gus have a nice 2005 throwing cool behind the same crew that never gave time to AJ or Jay during that 2004 mess.

Maybe that's the kind of QB we need and after reviewing some plays of the Senior Bowl and from Vanderbilt's games, it's clear what Saban and his guys look on Jay Cuttler, and i'll cheer if Jay's personal workout don't impress anybody, if his Senior Bowl stats erase his name from others boards and more happy if our staft is patient and waits to pick him with our 16th overall pick.

The guy will need tons of guiding but will fit our needs.

HysterikiLL
01-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Maaaaan, if I trade up in the top 10 there are so many other options to salivate over.

midwest_phinfan
01-30-2006, 04:16 PM
After his senior bowl performance (6 of 19 for 69 yards) I hope he will slip a little in the draft so we can get him. But if we can't there are a lot of good players for us to choose from including, Chad Greenway, Jon Scott, Michael Huff, etc.